Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: A Broom Closet and Satan's Monopoly Board

Bort
Message added by Bort

As always, there is no mentioning of events from The Big Bang Theory that have not "happened" yet in the episode topics.

• Start Topic

Without Dr. Sturgis' university class, Sheldon must find a new way to stay academically challenged. Also, Mary helps Pastor Jeff avoid temptation with his girlfriend.

Airdate: Thursday, October 3, 2019

As always, there is no mentioning of events from The Big Bang Theory that have not "happened" yet in the episode topics.

Georgie was freaking hilarious in this episode. "Somebody's sleeping on the couch tonight." And picking up the extension on Mary and Pastor Jeff: "Why? What is she wearing?" LMAO!

Loved George and Mary's dinner date.

I really hope Connie doesn't hook up with Dr. Linkletter.

• LOL 4
  • Love 15
19 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't think she will.  I don't think she likes him because he's a jerk to Dr. Sturgis.  And even if that doesn't work out, it shows his character.  And that seems to be her attitude towards him.

This epi was OK but nothing great.  I agree that Georgie had the best lines.

And if Mary is just worried about Sheldon socializing, she could make a deal with him that he eat lunch in the café and go to gym class.  You're not really supposed to socialize in the other classes anyway.  Besides, he's like 11.  The other kids aren't that interested in socializing with him.

• Love 8

I loved Missy freaking out over the Ouija board and then over her lie to Pastor Jeff about watching TV. I also thought it was so cute how she called him up to confess. 

I also laughed out loud at Dr. Linkletter's line about Dr. Sturgis having a mental breakdown after dealing with Sheldon, heh. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I loved Missy freaking out over the Ouija board and then over her lie to Pastor Jeff about watching TV. I also thought it was so cute how she called him up to confess.

I hated that. It just shows how easily brainwashing works. I would rather have seen her play the game and realize nothing bad would have happened. It was nice to see her and Georgie doing something together.

What I did love was the look of delight on George's face when he realized Wayne had no kids so of course he was happy. LOL And Mary joining in by asking what they did in the bathroom was nice to see. I still think they're bad parents, though. Sheldon's constant disrespect and defiance was basically ignored. Again. I do NOT think children should ever be hit, but I so wanted George to smack him in that broom closet. (I can make exceptions for fictional children.) Or at the very least, pick him up by his shirt collar and carry his bratty little butt to class.

Edited by SpiritSong
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't think she's going to sleep with all of Sheldon's professors.  Even if Dr. Linkletter is pursuing her.  What would that make her? 

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

And if Mary is just worried about Sheldon socializing, she could make a deal with him that he eat lunch in the café and go to gym class.

Well, they can't just let him sit in a broom closet all day and do whatever he wants.  Even if the school decided that was the best thing for him, they would at least have to officially sanction it in some way.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

Well, they can't just let him sit in a broom closet all day and do whatever he wants.  Even if the school decided that was the best thing for him, they would at least have to officially sanction it in some way.

They could let him do independent study in the library.  

• Love 8

As I like Mary & George, their scenes were my favourite parts of the episode. But I think Georgie and Missy were the secret stars, especially Georgie.

But also I think that the writers tend to show Mary as the responsible part for the unhappy marriage. George's gesture was sweet, but I think it's time to show Mary to be more romantic towards George (sorry about my bad English 😞 ). 

I think the Sheldon being in the broom closet is a step to lay the foundation for him to start college. 

• Love 7

I laughed through this whole episode. From Pastor Jeff asking Mary to keep him from sin to the look on Mary and the secretary's faces when he asked if the bolo tie was too sexy. Poor Missy and her guilt over lying to the preacher and playing with a Ouija board (an Ouija board?). Georgie and his, "NO WHAT IS SHE WEARING?"

"You smell good." "It's soap." "I like soap." ROLLING in my house. Then the look on his face when she asked when they can get married. 

For me, this season has been VERY strong. 

I don't think Connie really likes Linkletter. But I did enjoy her quip about not staying for the class because she snores. LOL

• Love 11

I think both Mary and George could do things a little bit differently that would make a difference in their marriage, but there is also a certain point at which nothing either of them could do will save it.

At this point, Georgie is actually shaping up to be the adult in the family.

• Love 5

I find Pastor Jeff to be very odd. Just when I think he is just a buffoon and doesn’t really belong in the ministry he comes up with good advice for Missy. He just seems so clueless most of the time. I wish Mary would cut George some slack. Most of the extra work around the house seems to come from placating Sheldon. I can’t even blame him, we treat people how they teach us to treat them. They have always given in to his whims and eccentricity forever. George is right about how Mary has to deal with Sheldon Because anything he does she contradicts and takes Sheldons side. He is in a no win situation. Connie is the only one who can really discipline Sheldon Because she is not afraid of pissing off Mary. 

• Love 9

Yeah I'm feeling worse and worse for George as time rolls on here. Mary doesn't treat him very nicely at all. And the more she caters to Sheldon the worse it is for everybody else who has to deal with him.

• Love 12

First of all, I like that they have been changing up the opening credits.  Adding the rest of the cast makes the show not quite so Sheldon-Centric, despite the title.  Also, if they change it up every week it will be a fun little touch.

I really thought this episode was going to go dark with George and Mary, so I'm glad the date took a turn for the better.  However, I have to say I'm on George's side about who should deal with Sheldon at school.  It's NOT because I think that Mary's job is less worthwhile than George's, instead two things stood out for me.  The school is George's place of employment, so he has to limit his "parent" role in that arena.  Secondly, George had a concrete task (football practice) in 10 minutes; Mary was giving dating advice to the pastor.  The truth is, one of those was more professionally important than the other.  If Mary was in some sort of meeting or doing some actual church work, I'd feel differently about it.

But, yeah, Mary definitely doesn't seem as invested in her marriage as George, which I found surprising but I think it is an interesting road to take.

Also, Missy + Georgie + Ouija Board = Everything.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Yeah I'm feeling worse and worse for George as time rolls on here. Mary doesn't treat him very nicely at all. And the more she caters to Sheldon the worse it is for everybody else who has to deal with him.

How unsurprised am I that on a Chuck Lorre show the female partner is being made to be the bad guy in a deteriorating marriage?  If this keeps up despite the other positives about this show I am so oughta here!

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I really thought this episode was going to go dark with George and Mary, so I'm glad the date took a turn for the better.  However, I have to say I'm on George's side about who should deal with Sheldon at school.  It's NOT because I think that Mary's job is less worthwhile than George's, instead two things stood out for me.  The school is George's place of employment, so he has to limit his "parent" role in that arena.  Secondly, George had a concrete task (football practice) in 10 minutes; Mary was giving dating advice to the pastor.  The truth is, one of those was more professionally important than the other.  If Mary was in some sort of meeting or doing some actual church work, I'd feel differently about it.

Yes, I totally agree with you.  That part bugged me a lot.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

However, I have to say I'm on George's side about who should deal with Sheldon at school.

I'll go further and say that, given the social constructs of the time, I'm also on his side as far as the housework goes.

He and Mary made a decision in their marriage that he would work outside the home and she'd care for the kids and manage the house while he was gone. She later opted to work part time against his wishes (as I recall?), and while it would be thoughtful of him to take on more of the chores since Mary started working, I think that's something she should have specifically worked out with him if it bothered her.

Typically for the time, he'd also have been responsible for yard maintenance, which is just as valuable as housework imo.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

And it's not really as if George did nothing.  Since none of the teachers were reporting Sheldons absences (which hate him or not was ridiculous), Mary would have never known Sheldon wasn't going to class if George hadn't discovered.  I forgot how he initially found out, but he didn't drop the ball. He went and questioned the other teachers and found out he hadn't been in any of this classes.  And then he searched the whole school (I assume) and found him.  And if he had football practice in 10 minutes that meant school was done for the day anyway. There was nothing to do about it at that point that couldn't wait until after they got home.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
44 minutes ago, PennyPlain said:

How unsurprised am I that on a Chuck Lorre show the female partner is being made to be the bad guy in a deteriorating marriage?  If this keeps up despite the other positives about this show I am so oughta here!

Making Mary the bad guy bothers me a lot. Writers should make Mary less rigid about her marriage issues. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, 2727 said:

He and Mary made a decision in their marriage that he would work outside the home and she'd care for the kids and manage the house while he was gone. She later opted to work part time against his wishes (as I recall?), and while it would be thoughtful of him to take on more of the chores since Mary started working, I think that's something she should have specifically worked out with him if it bothered her.

That's not how I recall the episode where Mary gets a job.  George is very supportive perhaps partly because the extra income is welcome but I never had the impression he expected Mary to stay home if she didn't want to.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I'll go further and say that, given the social constructs of the time, I'm also on his side as far as the housework goes.

Typically for the time, he'd also have been responsible for yard maintenance, which is just as valuable as housework imo.

They have 3 children who are 10+ years old who are quite capable of doing chores like laundry and washing dishes. I would have had Sheldon scrubbing toilets and mopping floors for at least a month for the way he spoke to his dad. Mary is being a martyr. You have too much to do around the house? Delegate!

• Love 16

Yeah Mary isn't doing herself any favors. I was doing dishes at 8, cooking meals at 10 and can't remember when I didn't know how to use a washer/dryer. My parents were annoyed when the last of us three moved out because they had to clean their own house again!

Edited by anna0852
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

Mary is being a martyr. You have too much to do around the house? Delegate!

I completely forgot about the kids. Missy would probably be obedient, if snarky, and Sheldon loves cleaning.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Katy M said:

And if Mary is just worried about Sheldon socializing, she could make a deal with him that he eat lunch in the café and go to gym class.  You're not really supposed to socialize in the other classes anyway.  Besides, he's like 11.  The other kids aren't that interested in socializing with him.

I thought she meant how to behave around people. There are some social skills that can be learned in a regular classroom: waiting until someone is done to raise your hand to talk, listening to what the other person says and how to respond to them, plus other stuff. There is human interaction occuring, and I thought that's the kind Mary was talking about. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
Just now, Sarah 103 said:

I thought she meant how to behave around people. There are some social skills that can be learned in a regular classroom: waiting until someone is done to raise your hand to talk, listening to what the other person says and how to respond to them, plus other stuff. There is human interaction occuring, and I thought that's the kind Mary was talking about. 

Sheldon does raise his hand to talk. But seeing as every single teacher he has hates (OK maybe too strong of a word) him, I don't think he's really learning much in that arena.  All he's really learning is that he's smarter than everyone else including the teachers and that's not anything he really needs to be learning.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Sheldon does raise his hand to talk. But seeing as every single teacher he has hates (OK maybe too strong of a word) him, I don't think he's really learning much in that arena.  All he's really learning is that he's smarter than everyone else including the teachers and that's not anything he really needs to be learning.

I agree with you on that is Sheldon's current reality, but I'm not sure how much of that Mary knows or is aware of. From Mary's perspective, in a regular classroom, he is interacting with other people and she thinks that is important for him. 

It would be great for George to explain to Mary what is really happening, like none of the teachers reporting him absent because they were happy he wasn't in class. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

And it's not really as if George did nothing.  Since none of the teachers were reporting Sheldons absences (which hate him or not was ridiculous), Mary would have never known Sheldon wasn't going to class if George hadn't discovered.  I forgot how he initially found out, but he didn't drop the ball. He went and questioned the other teachers and found out he hadn't been in any of this classes.  And then he searched the whole school (I assume) and found him.

He found out because the PE teacher asked him if Sheldon was ok, because he hadn't been to gym class for a few days.  So George asked the other teachers if Sheldon had been in class that week.

• Love 4

I can't believe how much Raegen Revord grew during the hiatus!  Her scene with Georgie was pretty funny.   Georgie: "You're not going to Hell, at least not 'til you die.  Sucks for you!"  (Something along those lines.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

And it's not really as if George did nothing.  Since none of the teachers were reporting Sheldons absences (which hate him or not was ridiculous), Mary would have never known Sheldon wasn't going to class if George hadn't discovered.  I forgot how he initially found out, but he didn't drop the ball. He went and questioned the other teachers and found out he hadn't been in any of this classes.  And then he searched the whole school (I assume) and found him.  And if he had football practice in 10 minutes that meant school was done for the day anyway. There was nothing to do about it at that point that couldn't wait until after they got home.

George found Tam at his locker and even though he was sworn to secrecy, Tam gave up Sheldon's location to George.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

And if he had football practice in 10 minutes that meant school was done for the day anyway. There was nothing to do about it at that point that couldn't wait until after they got home.

Organized sports in high school is also a class, traditionally either the first or last class of the day so that practice can go over that allotted time.

When I was in high school (in Texas), football practice was in the morning because it was too hot in the afternoon. The football players had to show up for practice well before school started and then it would run through first period. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Yeah Mary isn't doing herself any favors. I was doing dishes at 8, cooking meals at 10 and can't remember when I didn't know how to use a washer/dryer. My parents were annoyed when the last of us three moved out because they had to clean their own house again!

During one of my brattier moments, I accused my mom of procreating solely to staff a cleaning crew.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Organized sports in high school is also a class, traditionally either the first or last class of the day so that practice can go over that allotted time.

Well, at my school sports practice was after school.  Away games you got out of school early. But, if it was the last class of the day, it still wouldn't make much difference time wise, since he'd miss like all week.

37 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Well, at my school sports practice was after school.  Away games you got out of school early. But, if it was the last class of the day, it still wouldn't make much difference time wise, since he'd miss like all week.

I don’t think the show writers put much thought into how high schools sports classes/practices work anyway. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I also laughed out loud at Dr. Linkletter's line about Dr. Sturgis having a mental breakdown after dealing with Sheldon, heh. 

So did I, even though I saw it coming.

So is that why Sheldon doesn't like people whistling? 'Cuz he can't do it himself?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

When it comes to dealing with Sheldon, I make some allowances because it's a sitcom, and some because it would be difficult for parents to handle a child that is so academically advanced.  However, there are thousands of very intelligent gifted children who are raised to be polite and socially adaptable so a lot of this is on George and Mary.  I say both of them because there have been times when George has asserted himself, said he will handle Sheldon, and did a good job of it.  It's probably easier to give into Mary, and let her deal with Sheldon her way, but that is not good parenting by either Mary or George.

• Love 10

Sheldon: Same room. Different teacher. Same night. Different time. This is real roller coaster!

George: That book can be a bummer sometimes!

Connie: I'm told I snore. 

I know it was a funny line but George Sr can't tolerate the kids stuffing Sheldon in lockers , trash cans, football bags, and up the flag poles. 

I wonder what Robin is thinking when the pastor is leaving her to go into the bathroom for a long period of time.

Poor Chuck Lorre! Scribbling your signature with your finger for a credit card payment is not the worst thing in the world.

• Love 2

I didn’t like Missy’s fear and confession about the Ouiji board.  I thought that was completely out of character for her, and hope they are not making her a fear-monger like her mother.  In earlier seasons, she and Georgie would have loved the defiance aspect of the game and played it with vim and vigor.  None of this fear and submission to the rules.  

I hope they are not ruining the show by changing Missy and getting rid of Dr. Sturgis.  He was a much more unique and interesting character than Dr. Linkletter.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I know it was a funny line but George Sr can't tolerate the kids stuffing Sheldon in lockers , trash cans, football bags, and up the flag pole.

Unfortunately the tolerance for bullying was significantly higher back then. Kids were expected to work things out among themselves and adult interventions were almost nil. G

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

I hope they are not ruining the show by changing Missy and getting rid of Dr. Sturgis.  He was a much more unique and interesting character than Dr. Linkletter.

I read one article that said that Wallace Shawn has been busy with other projects and that TPTB of YS haven't said whether he's coming back or not.  Maybe they're waiting to see what the audience's reaction is to his absence.

I loved the 'stink eye' that Mary demonstrated to George.  She has some of the cutest facial expressions!  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

I didn’t like Missy’s fear and confession about the Ouiji board.  I thought that was completely out of character for her, and hope they are not making her a fear-monger like her mother.  In earlier seasons, she and Georgie would have loved the defiance aspect of the game and played it with vim and vigor.  None of this fear and submission to the rules.  

I didn't see it like that.  Missy is, what?  10? 11? now?  So she's at an age where she is starting to understand consequences.  She heard at church that ouija boards are evil, and that would probably be backed up at home.  She hadn't yet tested that boundary.  Georgie, on the other hand, is old enough that he is at a point where he questions what he is told and probably brought out the ouija board knowing that it would freak Missy out.  I think it has far less to do with character than it does with just general childhood development. 

(Also, I'm well into adulthood and STILL freaked out by ouija boards!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
On 10/4/2019 at 9:51 AM, Driad said:

Are Pastor Jeff and his wife divorced?

At the end of last season, his wife left him Season 2, Episode 21.  That's when he met Officer Robin.  Jeff & his wife probably aren't divorced yet, but it could be in progress.  On the other hand, I suppose it could be final.  I'd be surprised if he would date before it was final, but this is a sitcom.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

At the end of last season, his wife left him Season 2, Episode 21.  That's when he met Officer Robin.  Jeff & his wife probably aren't divorced yet, but it could be in progress.  On the other hand, I suppose it could be final.  I'd be surprised if he would date before it was final, but this is a sitcom.

I'm also not sure how much time has passed between seasons.  There was a reference in the last episode as to how long Dr. Sturgis had been gone, but I can't remember what it was.  It seems to me that each season seems to equal a school year with this show.  If so, that would mean a good 4-5 months have passed since Pastor Jeff's wife left him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Unfortunately the tolerance for bullying was significantly higher back then. Kids were expected to work things out among themselves and adult interventions were almost nil

I could see not interfering if Sheldon was actually high school age but the idea that a little kid is getting picked on by kids at least 4 or more years older than he is should be raising alarm bells.  Sheldon doesn't belong in high school if they aren't prepared to keep him safe.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

On the other hand, I suppose it could be final.  I'd be surprised if he would date before it was final, but this is a sitcom.

Divorces are much faster if you don't have children and aren't fighting over assets.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

When it comes to dealing with Sheldon, I make some allowances because it's a sitcom, and some because it would be difficult for parents to handle a child that is so academically advanced.  However, there are thousands of very intelligent gifted children who are raised to be polite and socially adaptable so a lot of this is on George and Mary. 

I agree. Even in the world of this show, Paige is pretty much Sheldon's intellectual equal and has much better social skills. We saw that Paige had no trouble getting along with Missy with little to no adult intervention. Paige behaved pretty well when Missy invited her to sleep over. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

I could see not interfering if Sheldon was actually high school age but the idea that a little kid is getting picked on by kids at least 4 or more years older than he is should be raising alarm bells.  Sheldon doesn't belong in high school if they aren't prepared to keep him safe.

I don't disagree. Sheldon is being failed on a lot of fronts. The school isn't able to accommodate his needs, he's progressed past what he can learn there academically and his mother is coddling him way too much. He should have been kept in the school for gifted kids from Season One. Some independence, self reliance and a big dose of not being the smartest in room would do him wonders!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

(Also, I'm well into adulthood and STILL freaked out by ouija boards!)

I understand why some people think it's an innocent child's game, but any game that wants me to pretend to invoke spirits is one that I'll stay away from!  Again, having watched a few shows in which a Medium says that people actually brought through bad spirits with the help of a Quija board is enough to make me stay far, far away from them!  I do not want to open any portals from Hell in my home.  You can laugh if you want to, but I'll err on the side of caution.   😉  

39 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

We saw that Paige had no trouble getting along with Missy with little to no adult intervention. Paige behaved pretty well when Missy invited her to sleep over. 

I'd love to see her again.  I hope that the show can find a place for another cameo from her.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I loved the 'stink eye' that Mary demonstrated to George.  She has some of the cutest facial expressions!  

I’m glad that I’m not the only one who loved that stink eye! 😄😄

• Love 2