Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: A Broom Closet and Satan's Monopoly Board

Bort
Message added by Bort

As always, there is no mentioning of events from The Big Bang Theory that have not "happened" yet in the episode topics.

• Start Topic

On 10/4/2019 at 1:32 PM, PennyPlain said:

How unsurprised am I that on a Chuck Lorre show the female partner is being made to be the bad guy in a deteriorating marriage?  If this keeps up despite the other positives about this show I am so oughta here!

See ya!

• Love 1
On 10/3/2019 at 10:53 PM, jewel21 said:

I loved Missy freaking out over the Ouija board and then over her lie to Pastor Jeff about watching TV. I also thought it was so cute how she called him up to confess. 

She hadn't actually used the Ouija board yet.  If she had just started watching tv, as she told Pastor Jeff she was doing, it all would have been fine.

How did George get in the broom closet without the key?  I assume there was another , full-sized unlocked entrance in the library?

On 10/4/2019 at 3:58 AM, rmontro said:

Well, they can't just let him sit in a broom closet all day and do whatever he wants.  Even if the school decided that was the best thing for him, they would at least have to officially sanction it in some way.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:27 AM, Katy M said:

They could let him do independent study in the library.  

Or, he could sit in the back of English class and read War and Peace.  In science class, he could self-study physics, etc.  Let him take all the classroom exams and write all the essays and complete all the HW assignments, so he can get a class grade.  He obviously should be in a different school, but since that's not practical, why should he waste all those hours and drive his teachers crazy? Music, art, drama and shop classes he can participate in.  (He should also be in gym with kids his own age, but that's another issue.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

How did George get in the broom closet without the key?  I assume there was another , full-sized unlocked entrance in the library?

I mean, there had to be another door.  Why the hell would a broom closet ONLY have a door that was 4 feet tall and hidden in the library?  Also, repeat that sentence but take the "only" out.

As for the key...as a faculty member, George probably has a master key that opens every door in the school.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I mean, there had to be another door.  Why the hell would a broom closet ONLY have a door that was 4 feet tall and hidden in the library?  Also, repeat that sentence but take the "only" out.

But, if there's another door, why did Sheldon have to get in that crazy way?

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I've lived and worked in plenty of buildings where the odd spaces, especially under staircases, are used for storage and have small doors. Haven't seen this episode, though, so can't comment on Sheldon's choice of hideouts.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

As for the key...as a faculty member, George probably has a master key that opens every door in the school.

Well, I think we should just be happy that it led to a broom closet and not John Malkovich's mind...

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 10/3/2019 at 11:40 PM, SpiritSong said:

I do NOT think children should ever be hit, but I so wanted George to smack him in that broom closet. (I can make exceptions for fictional children.) Or at the very least, pick him up by his shirt collar and carry his bratty little butt to class.

Well, I truly felt for Sheldon. He's basically me, with slightly worse social skills. I learned nothing in class, and read novels to pass the time while the teachers explained the principles that had been clearly set out in the textbooks (that I'd read the first weekend in September). And he did me one better, since he's studying advanced topics, whereas I'd been content to learn the standard curriculum, then read fiction, rather than stretch myself to do better.  

Put yourself in his shoes. You're in class.  All day long. And people less intelligent than you are trying to teach you things you already know.  Every day. Every week.  10 months of the year.  It's torture!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ashleylm said:

Well, I truly felt for Sheldon. He's basically me, with slightly worse social skills. I learned nothing in class, and read novels to pass the time while the teachers explained the principles that had been clearly set out in the textbooks (that I'd read the first weekend in September). And he did me one better, since he's studying advanced topics, whereas I'd been content to learn the standard curriculum, then read fiction, rather than stretch myself to do better.  

Put yourself in his shoes. You're in class.  All day long. And people less intelligent than you are trying to teach you things you already know.  Every day. Every week.  10 months of the year.  It's torture!

Oh yeah.  That was my experience too, and I "checked out" of school very early on because of it.

6 hours ago, ashleylm said:

I always read the textbooks completely before the start of any class, too, so I do understand not being academically challenged. That wasn't my point, however. It was the rude, disrespectful way he defied George that I objected to. No ten year old should be speaking to a parent like that, but since they let him get away with it I guess I can see why he does. It doesn't make him likable in the least though, and they are doing him no favors long term.

Edited by SpiritSong
punctuation
  • Love 2
On 10/7/2019 at 12:08 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

On 10/7/2019 at 2:10 PM, Dbolt said:

The top of the door was behind a pull down map, I think. 

They showed that was a full sized door that was behind a map that pulled down.  Sheldon just didn't need to move the map because he is so short. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

They showed that was a full sized door that was behind a map that pulled down.  Sheldon just didn't need to move the map because he is so short. 

That does make sense, although they kept a book cart in front of the door, which also seems strange.  I can't think too much about this, though.  I mean, this show is *generally* good about things like this, so I think I just need to handwave this away.

1 minute ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

That does make sense, although they kept a book cart in front of the door, which also seems strange.  I can't think too much about this, though.  I mean, this show is *generally* good about things like this, so I think I just need to handwave this away.

I think that was just to show that it's an unused room so they didn't care if the door was behind a map and cart- no one was going in there anyway. 

• Love 4
Just now, Whimsy said:

I think that was just to show that it's an unused room so they didn't care if the door was behind a map and cart- no one was going in there anyway. 

I can buy that.  A lot of schools have these sort of empty spaces for use when needed.  

On 10/8/2019 at 6:37 PM, ashleylm said:

And they're making mistakes! And they don't appreciated being corrected!

• Love 1
On 10/4/2019 at 6:17 PM, kariyaki said:

Organized sports in high school is also a class, traditionally either the first or last class of the day so that practice can go over that allotted time.

When I was in high school (in Texas), football practice was in the morning because it was too hot in the afternoon. The football players had to show up for practice well before school started and then it would run through first period. 

Not true in Illinois, not at all.  My kids were each 3 sport athletes for all 4 years, practice is after school, and they still have to take 4 years of PE (or the equivalent thereof) 

14 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Not true in Illinois, not at all.  My kids were each 3 sport athletes for all 4 years, practice is after school, and they still have to take 4 years of PE (or the equivalent thereof) 

But the Coopers aren't in Illinois. This is how a Texas high school does it. If you take football or any organized sport, that counts as your PE class. If it's a first period class, practice starts a couple hours before school starts and runs through first period (most common in Texas for football because the afternoons are too hot to do this for last period). Or it'll be the last period of the day (I took swimming and this is how my class went) and practice will run through that/a couple hours after school is over.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

But the Coopers aren't in Illinois. This is how a Texas high school does it. If you take football or any organized sport, that counts as your PE class. If it's a first period class, practice starts a couple hours before school starts and runs through first period (most common in Texas for football because the afternoons are too hot to do this for last period). Or it'll be the last period of the day (I took swimming and this is how my class went) and practice will run through that/a couple hours after school is over.

your first sentence of your original post does not specify a state.  It looked to me like a blanket statement and it is what I based my comment on.  I saw only this:  "Organized sports in high school is also a class, traditionally either the first or last class of the day so that practice can go over that allotted time".

5 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

your first sentence of your original post does not specify a state.  It looked to me like a blanket statement and it is what I based my comment on.  I saw only this:  "Organized sports in high school is also a class, traditionally either the first or last class of the day so that practice can go over that allotted time".

No, I was talking about high schools in the area this show is set in.

• Love 1

I get that Sheldon's teachers (now including Professor Sturgis!) probably regard a class without him as a blessing, but I don't buy that none of them would raise concerns that he was absent (until George's fellow coach did). If nothing else, the school is legally liable for what happens to Sheldon while he's there - what if he'd had an accident? Or gotten trapped in his Fortress of Solitude? (Yes, I know it's a sitcom - but they don't). And did Sheldon face any official sanction for cutting class? Even if he finds it a doddle, he should be there - if he sits at the back deriving the value of pi from first principles* then so be it, but he should be required to complete the classes he's meant to be there for.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I have to say I'm on George's side about who should deal with Sheldon at school.

Really? I'm Team Mary. George could have pulled Sheldon out of the closet and carried him into class (or to the Principal's Office) - he had 10 minutes. Yes, probably ill advised if it was anyone else's child, but he is his father as well as his teacher.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:49 PM, zoey1996 said:

I'd be surprised if [Pastor Jeff] would date before it was final, but this is a sitcom.

Considering he got her number the day his wife walked out, I doubt he's waiting for his divorce to be concluded. I was surprised (or at least, I would be IRL) that her response to "We have to wait until we're married" was "OK - how soon can we get married then!?" - but it is a sitcom.

* Yep, I did that. I think I got it to between 3.12 and 3.16 or so

2 hours ago, John Potts said:

Really? I'm Team Mary. George could have pulled Sheldon out of the closet and carried him into class (or to the Principal's Office) - he had 10 minutes. Yes, probably ill advised if it was anyone else's child, but he is his father as well as his teacher.

But, if school was over, wouldn't he have had to take him home.  That would take more than 10 minutes.

On 10/17/2019 at 4:22 PM, Katy M said:

But, if school was over, wouldn't he have had to take him home.  That would take more than 10 minutes.

In the episode where Mary starts working at the church they show Sheldon and Missy coming home alone after school but I can’t remember if they showed how they got home. Maybe they ride the bus. 

Edited by Guest
6 hours ago, Dani said:

In the episode where Mary starts working at the church they show Sheldon and Missy coming home alone after school but I can’t remember if they showed how they got home. Maybe they ride the bus. 

Yes, they rode the bus.  But, if George had to "take care of this right now" he would have had to take him home.  There was no reason it couldn't wait until everybody was home from work.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yes, they rode the bus.  But, if George had to "take care of this right now" he would have had to take him home.  There was no reason it couldn't wait until everybody was home from work.

Oh, I see you’re point and agree with you.  I initially read you’re post the wrong way.