Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Quirky Eggheads and Texas Snow Globes

Bort
Message added by Bort

Please remember that events from The Big Bang Theory have not "happened" yet here.

• Start Topic

After Dr. Sturgis experiences a nervous breakdown, Mary worries Sheldon is headed down a similar path; Georgie discovers he has a knack for sales.

Airdate: Thursday, September 26, 2019

As always, please remember that events from The Big Bang Theory have not "happened" yet here.

• Love 2

I still love Missy.  

Georgie is a born salesman.  I was thinking his mistake was trying to sell TX snow globes to people in TX, because they're more for tourists, but he proved me wrong.  That was a good strategy for a place that only occasionally gets snow.

So, Leonardo is the hot mutant ninja turtle.  Who knew?  I actually didn't know that cartoon characters in general were hot.

I wish we could have seen George, Georgie, and Missy's drive to school.  That may have been fun.

Sheldon was both a jerk and a nice guy in this epi.  And, yeah, Mary, the therapist does deserve a little credit, because he's the one that got you to tell Sheldon why you were upset.  

• Love 11

Loved that all the Coopers are in the opening credits now.

I couldn't help laughing when Adult Sheldon cut off his dad's "cuckoo" bit to explain that while people today are more sensitive describing mental illness today, 30-years-ago Texas wasn't. And considering how that child climate activist with Aspergers has been treated by certain adults, it's safe to say that other haven't either.

Georgie really found his calling as a salesman. Loved him making it snow on George at the end.

24 minutes ago, Katy M said:

So, Leonardo is the hot mutant ninja turtle.  Who knew?  I actually didn't know that cartoon characters in general were hot.

Wait til Missy gets a load of the Disney guys...

Hope Dr. Sturgis will be okay.

• Love 20
18 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I couldn't help laughing when Adult Sheldon cut off his dad's "cuckoo" bit to explain that while people today are more sensitive describing mental illness today, 30-years-ago Texas wasn't.

I appreciated that. A good reminder for those who don't remember so they don't write angry letters and a good reminder for the rest of us things have sure changed in the last 30 years.

25 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And considering how that child climate activist with Aspergers has been treated by certain adults, it's safe to say that other haven't either.

And as we all know, the more things change, the more things stay the same.

I loved the premier. Mary not wanting to tell Sheldon what happened to Dr. Sturgis, Sheldon trying to help his mom the way he knows how. And he had some great counter points. 

• Love 4

Glad Georgie found something he was good at besides tire-leak detective. I want him to have more positive recognition.

Didn't like how Sheldon spoke to Mary. Maybe it’s to show he’s getting older and more independent. (I wonder if this counts as his mother having him tested, and he’s not crazy.)

• Love 5

It's nice to have this show back. I loved the scene with Sheldon and the librarian. 

George's face when Missy said Leonardo was the hot one cracked me up, lol. I've always been a Michelangelo girl myself, heh. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Kiddvideo said:

Didn't like how Sheldon spoke to Mary. Maybe it’s to show he’s getting older and more independent. (I wonder if this counts as his mother having him tested, and he’s not crazy.)

When she took him to the doctor I thought it would be to get him tested, but it didn't happen.

2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I loved the premier. Mary not wanting to tell Sheldon what happened to Dr. Sturgis, Sheldon trying to help his mom the way he knows how. And he had some great counter points. 

I'm a little confused about the Dr. Sturgis plot.  I wonder if Wallace Shawn wanted out of the role or if this will be a brief absence.  I couldn't find anything on it online.

I wasn't as thrilled with this premiere as I thought I would be, but it was still solid enough.  The lack of Mee-Maw probably had something to do with that, although it appears she'll be featured next week.

I was impressed that Mary's book light looked either identical to or almost identical to the Zelco Itty Bitty Book Light that was commonly found in the 80's at most bookstores.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Glad Georgie found something he was good at besides tire-leak detective. I want him to have more positive recognition.

Georgie was the best part of the show.

Sheldon was so disrespectful to his mother and of course she let him get away with it and suffer no consequences. I've no doubt George and Mary love Sheldon, but they failed him as parents. They are directly responsible for him growing up to be an entitled, arrogant jerk. (Yes, that hasn't happened yet, so I'll just say he's already an entitled, arrogant jerk, who becomes more and more unlikeable.)

Did like the entire family being featured in the intro. It's really an ensemble show and it's good to see them finally recognizing that. In fact, the show could ship Sheldon off to college in Europe and I'd still watch it. He is my least favorite character. Bet no one could tell that. LOL

• Applause 1
  • Love 8

The new intro surprised me, with the whole family stepping away from the cow, instead of just Sheldon.  I guess they're trying to say it's more of an ensemble now, and the episode reflected that.

I had figured they had written Dr. Sturgis out of the show.  The fact that they showed his image in flashbacks made me optimistic that maybe we'll see Wallace Shawn again at some point.  Maybe we won't, but then again maybe we will. 

• Love 5

What a lovely start to inaugurate the new season! Both storylines were great and seeing the weird psychiatrist after a very long time was also great. I found the new opening also great, I agree with this ensemble thing.

I saw that after the airing, they gave a mental illness hotline for American audience, presented by Zoe Perry. That was thoughtul.

Yesterday (September 26) was also Zoe Perry’s birthday, what a great coincidence! ☺️

• Love 6
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

I had figured they had written Dr. Sturgis out of the show.  The fact that they showed his image in flashbacks made me optimistic that maybe we'll see Wallace Shawn again at some point. 

Maybe he's off making a movie.  Hopefully he's not gone forever from this show!

Yay that Georgie got a win!  It was fun watching him figure out how to make an emotional connection with people in order to hawk his snow globes, even though he really didn't give a rat's ass about their childhood memories of snow! 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

Georgie was the best part of the show.

Sheldon was so disrespectful to his mother and of course she let him get away with it and suffer no consequences. I've no doubt George and Mary love Sheldon, but they failed him as parents. They are directly responsible for him growing up to be an entitled, arrogant jerk. (Yes, that hasn't happened yet, so I'll just say he's already an entitled, arrogant jerk, who becomes more and more unlikeable.)

But Sheldon showed surprising empathy and apologized for making his mother worry.  I thought that was not totally in character. 

• Love 8

Georgie is fantastic. Angels making snow angels. I loved MeeMaw buying two snowglobes just to stick it to George. (Paraphrasing) Owner of store: Guess someone likes snowglobes. Georgie: I hope so, because I don’t. 

Also enjoyed Sheldon’s Oh, you see the toast, too.

Ha! Read it. Lived it. Made the mistake of talking about it on a first date.

• Love 7

"You're good at lying. You should do it more often."

"I like your earrings..."

😄

The kids all look a bit older, but Sheldon really sounds older, especially during the therapy scene when they were talking about Dr. Sturgis.

Edited by ams1001
(Just commenting as I'm watching on demand.)
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Beetlepoet said:

I saw that after the airing, they gave a mental illness hotline for American audience, presented by Zoe Perry. That was thoughtul.

Yesterday (September 26) was also Zoe Perry’s birthday, what a great coincidence! ☺️

I didn't see that part. I watched it off CBS  but if it also airs on a Canadian station they will take over the feed. Boo. I hate when they do that, I've always missing previews for the following week.

• Love 1

I liked the episode, and agree with the observations of others here: the kids are maturing quickly.  Especially Missy and Georgie, they really looked grown-up.  I am very, very, very, VERY disappointed with what could be happening with Dr. Sturgis's character.  I hope they are not writing him out of the show.  My favorite scenes in the series have been interactions between Mee Maw and Dr. Sturgis.  In fact, those two are my favorite characters,  Next weeks coming attractions showed Mee Maw taking Sheldon back to the college, and the teacher was Ed Begley's character, Dr. Linkletter -- Dr Sturgis's nemesis.  SAY IT ISN'T SO!!  😞

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I didn't see that part. I watched it off CBS  but if it also airs on a Canadian station they will take over the feed. Boo. I hate when they do that, I've always missing previews for the following week.

I just watched on demand and they didn't include it, either.

• Useful 1
23 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I just watched on demand and they didn't include it, either.

They shared it on Twitter after the airing, and actually I saw it there. 

• Love 5

I hope they don't write Dr. Sturgis off the show. His story line is so important and I think this show can do it justice even in it's 1980s fashion. Yes, Sheldon has challenges yes, most of us know how he turns out but the mental illness Dr. Sturgis has appear to be different and the more visibility mental health and mental illness can get (in people of all ages) the better.

Show Dr. Sturgis reintegrating back to MeeMaw, the Cooper family and work. Let him get treatment & discuss the treatment, in passing. Just a comment about needing to go to his therapist, or getting a prescription refilled would be amazing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I'll admit that this probably wasn't what I would call a memorable episode, but I didn't expect Mary having Sheldon tested would be so touching.  I could really see where Mary was coming from and I thought that both Perry and Armitage played this very well.

I also appreciate that they didn't just write off Strugis and that they acknowledged the impact he had on Sheldon's life.  But, they also did it in a way that it doesn't look like they just "drop it" if the character doesn't make a return to the series.

I also enjoyed Georgie having a bit more of the spotlight and I felt him discovering his sales knack was a good step for the character.  I do wish there was more Missy, but honestly, unless they come out with a show called Young Missy, I'll probably say that for every episode.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Beetlepoet said:

They shared it on Twitter after the airing, and actually I saw it there. 

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I also enjoyed Georgie having a bit more of the spotlight and I felt him discovering his sales knack was a good step for the character.  

I liked that, too. And also the callback to his learning to haggle at MeeMaw's garage sale (and not quite having mastered the art).

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Katy M said:

The first time I remember feeling some type of romantic attraction as a little kid was either Kit Cloudkicker on TaleSpin, or Robin Hood in the the animated Disney Robin Hood. (and I know there are going to be people making bad fox/foxy jokes and puns).

4 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I'll admit that this probably wasn't what I would call a memorable episode, but I didn't expect Mary having Sheldon tested would be so touching.  I could really see where Mary was coming from and I thought that both Perry and Armitage played this very well.

What happened in that scene was more like a basic therapy appointment, which is very different from being tested. That aside, it was a sweet scene. The entire subplot reminded me of Three's Company, but in a good way.

I thought Georgie was going to have Missy help him sell the snowglobes, in exchange for a share of the profit, but I was wrong. I liked the episode overall. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I thought Georgie was going to have Missy help him sell the snowglobes, in exchange for a share of the profit, but I was wrong. I liked the episode overall. 

That would have been awesome.  Actually I loved the scene when he asked George for money.  "Wil this cost me money?"

"Yes, but you'll get back more."

"How much more?"

"A lot."

Missy: "You should get in on this."  

And then Georgie admitting that he would rather lose George's money than his own.  Hee, hee.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

What happened in that scene was more like a basic therapy appointment, which is very different from being tested. That aside, it was a sweet scene. The entire subplot reminded me of Three's Company, but in a good way.

Spoiler

This is true, but I felt like it was supposed to be the incident that Sheldon later refers to when he says, "My mother had me tested."

(Slight TBBT reference there)

Thinking more about it, though, I think the writers were actually very good about showing how Mary's concern could be misconstrued, and how Sheldon's eccentricities are just that.  "Mental Health" casts a wide net and this episode effectively confronted some common myths about it, which I appreciate.

There is another show on (AMLT) that is supposed to be all about mental health and I think YS did more in this episode than that show has done in its entire run.

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

There is another show on (AMLT) that is supposed to be all about mental health and I think YS did more in this episode than that show has done in its entire run.

Help?  I'm sure it will be obvious when I hear it, but I even looked through the show index on the forum home page and nothing seemed to fit.

~~~ smacking head - a million little things.  As soon as I posted, it came to me.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I also appreciate that they didn't just write off Sturges and that they acknowledged the impact he had on Sheldon's life.  But, they also did it in a way that it doesn't look like they just "drop it" if the character doesn't make a return to the series.

I also enjoyed Georgie having a bit more of the spotlight and I felt him discovering his sales knack was a good step for the character.  I do wish there was more Missy, but honestly, unless they come out with a show called Young Missy, I'll probably say that for every episode.

Hee, hee! Me, too: More Missy unless they spin off a Young Missy!!

I would have had such a crush on Georgie if I had attended high school with him!

• Love 3

Love Georgie's early sign of his business acumen - but also George (Sr) scepticism when it came to making "easy money". But he's learning the secret of sales - find an angle and then work it. Even if that's wanting to prove somebody else wrong!

When George (Sr) pointed out that Dr Sturgis had to be a little nuts for dating Meemaw - shouldn't it bother him that Meemaw is Sheldon's favourite, too?

Glad Mary came clean to Sheldon at the end. Ultimately, he is just a 10(?) year old boy and needs his mother's love, even if they fight.