Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Spoilers (and Spoiler Discussion)

On 7/2/2016 at 1:11 PM, CheetaraThunder said:

As bad as it was, the end when Katy says yes to the proposal with Maya breaking down and crying tears of happiness was actually really sweet and an amazing job by Sabrina Carpenter once again.

i bet the studio audience went nuts

9 hours ago, maraleia said:

. In light of what happened in the last two days with the cops killing two more Black men it would behoove them to do a story where Zay get targeted by the cops.

I dont think Disney would go there..they probably would if the show were to air on Freeform

Just like theyd probably go there with Riley and Maya for the shippers(some of the slash fiction out there is rather cringeworthy)

On July 3, 2016 at 8:45 PM, bettername2come said:

I didn't hate it, but I'm a sucker for Shawn episodes. I was waiting for Katy to say "Don't you think we should try dating first?" I will always want to see the original trio and I liked what I saw of them interacting with each other and Katy. And I like Shawn pointing out just how much Riley is a mini-Cory/Topanga. I liked the boys' interaction.

The Maya/Shawn turning into Riley/Cory is rushed, kind of out of character, and I still feel like Shawn's trying to be Cory with this sudden marriage proposal (actually that's more of a Topanga move). 

And in an unrelated note, purple hair looks fantastic on Sabrina Carpenter.

Sabrina really doesn't look 17 to me. I would peg her as college aged. But yes more purple hair and less purple cats are needed!

Ski Lodge is already looking pretty stupid. For one thing the two situations are not comparable. Cory was in a long term committed relationship. A new person he has an indescribable connection with was huge for him because he was supposed to be in love with Topanga. It doesn't have the same weight to it in GMW because Riley and Lucas have never officially dated, and it doesn't matter if there's another guy considering the fact that we already went though some love square nonsense w/Charlie Gardner. 

• Love 2
On 7/15/2016 at 8:06 PM, FrumiusManxome said:

Ski Lodge is already looking pretty stupid. For one thing the two situations are not comparable. Cory was in a long term committed relationship. A new person he has an indescribable connection with was huge for him because he was supposed to be in love with Topanga. It doesn't have the same weight to it in GMW because Riley and Lucas have never officially dated, and it doesn't matter if there's another guy considering the fact that we already went though some love square nonsense w/Charlie Gardner. 

speaking of Charlie,where did he disappear off to..

There are over 5 minutes of clips from Ski Lodge Part 1 under the "Disney Channel Extra" channel on YouTube.  Also it contains what I would call a rumor about the connection of Riley's new love interest to the original BMW ski lodge eps...

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, bagert said:

There are over 5 minutes of clips from Ski Lodge Part 1 under the "Disney Channel Extra" channel on YouTube.  Also it contains what I would call a rumor about the connection of Riley's new love interest to the original BMW ski lodge eps...

Well the very fact that we're shown there's a new love interest confirms something, doesn't it?  Good thing this is a spoiler thread.  She's also kind of mopey in what's clearly the last scene of the episode, so I think its pretty clear what happens with The Triangle.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, bagert said:

There are over 5 minutes of clips from Ski Lodge Part 1 under the "Disney Channel Extra" channel on YouTube.  Also it contains what I would call a rumor about the connection of Riley's new love interest to the original BMW ski lodge eps...

This new love interest..is it just going to be for this episode only,or will he be a recurring character

• Love 1

This new love interest..is it just going to be for this episode only,or will he be a recurring character

Well, he's in both parts (You Tube videos of the studio audience cheering the actors at the end of Part 2 included the new love interest) but I know that's not what you meant, and I don't know if he will appear later.

Part 1 of Ski Lodge has been posted on YouTube already just fyi. Not the best quality, but it's good enough if you're like me and have this sick obsession w/this train wreck of a show.  

(Not a lot happens, it's one big filler episode. But, if some of the commenters are to be believed Part 2 is not going to be pretty) 

Part 1 of Ski Lodge has been posted on YouTube already just fyi.

Yes, I just saw it also.  The young man who appears to be Riley's possible love interest in Part 2 is named Evan and is working as the desk manager, which is another strong hint about what is his connection to the BMW ski lodge episodes.  (Hint: Earlier, Topanga made a comment that effectively stated that Lauren worked at that same desk on BMW.)

Wow, so I guess there was a live taping of the last episode this season tonight and according to Twitter, the whole cast was crying (perhaps because it could be their last season). How the time flies...

(edited)
On 7/16/2016 at 10:01 AM, Sara2009 said:

I think it's ridiculous that the ski lodge is still a sore point after all these years.

Yeah, if something that happened when Corey and Topanga were essential kids, is still a sore spot, then they've had one perfect marriage.

Yes, I just saw it also.  The young man who appears to be Riley's possible love interest in Part 2 is named Evan and is working as the desk manager, which is another strong hint about what is his connection to the BMW ski lodge episodes.  (Hint: Earlier, Topanga made a comment that effectively stated that Lauren worked at that same desk on BMW.)

Is it possible we can be more transparent?

Edited by Samurai X
14 hours ago, niklj said:

Wow, so I guess there was a live taping of the last episode this season tonight and according to Twitter, the whole cast was crying (perhaps because it could be their last season). How the time flies...

Is there specific news to make anyone react like that NOW versus at any other taping? Or is it just twitter and blog rumors?

It's not a very expensive show, I'd think, outside of salaries. They certainly don't spend the money on sets, or remote filming.

I know Disney USED to have something called "The 65 episode Rule", and GMW should be there by the end of this season, but that really was years ago. That was for 90s and early 00s shows, I think. Liv and Maddie, for example, has aired exactly 65 episodes, so it would be on the chopping block if this rule was still around.  Dog with a Blog has had 69, so would be overdue for cancellation on that schedule. Jessie apparently recently ended, and went to 98 episodes. Austin & Ally is at 87. 

The only real expense of GMW is that they have to pay some grown-up actors. But it's not like Fishel and Savage were burning the world down with their employability before this show. I doubt they're being paid so much it's crippling the show.

The ratings may be total shit, but I think it really depends on where Disney's ad money is coming from these days. As part of a programming block the specific ratings of the show may not matter that much. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Is there specific news to make anyone react like that NOW versus at any other taping? Or is it just twitter and blog rumors?

It's not a very expensive show, I'd think, outside of salaries. They certainly don't spend the money on sets, or remote filming.

I know Disney USED to have something called "The 65 episode Rule", and GMW should be there by the end of this season, but that really was years ago. That was for 90s and early 00s shows, I think. Liv and Maddie, for example, has aired exactly 65 episodes, so it would be on the chopping block if this rule was still around.  Dog with a Blog has had 69, so would be overdue for cancellation on that schedule. Jessie apparently recently ended, and went to 98 episodes. Austin & Ally is at 87. 

I thought the rule was about 4 years.

I thought GMW was one of Disney's higher rated shows, and I guess the internet isn't the best gauge, as all it takes is a handful of really dedicated fans to make a fandom look active, but there seems to be a fairly rabid fan base for the show, more than any other Disney show I've seen in a while. Plus, I feel like this is the perfect sitcom to make the jump to FreeForm if they're willing to take on a high school show (they seem to be settling into a more New Adult market, but GMW isn't any less shouty than Baby Daddy and Young & Hungry.)

1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

I thought GMW was one of Disney's higher rated shows

I don't know where the numbers are coming from, but somebody's been plugging them into the show's episode Wikipedia page.

The only number shown there is total viewership in millions, not the demographic breakdown though, so as horrible as the numbers seem we don't know if they've good demos as well (which for a Disney show? I don't even know what those are....)

On 7/19/2016 at 9:04 PM, niklj said:

Maybe that episode was Shawn & Katy's wedding..?

11 minutes ago, TDT said:

Maybe that episode was Shawn & Katy's wedding..?

The clip someone took from the audience took place at school. Everyone was shuffling around hugging and wiping their faces.

1 hour ago, bagert said:

Ski Lodge Part 2 is now YouTube as a collection of all the scenes.  Lucas chooses, Evan's background is revealed, and Josh...

Well that stank.

Perhaps the upside is that they're done with that story.  Then again, who knows if they even get another season beyond the half season or so left of this one to try anything else.

Ski lodge part 2 is on disney go in its entirety.  I just watched it...I'm terribly disappointed tbh.  I hated that they completely erased Maya's feelings for Lucas by making it all about her protecting Riley.  Which is nice in theory but completely ridiculous in real life for a preteen.  And don't even get me started on Joshaya.  At least the triangle is finally dead.

• Love 1
On July 20, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Kromm said:

DWAB and A&A are both done.

On July 22, 2016 at 10:34 AM, Kromm said:

I don't know where the numbers are coming from, but somebody's been plugging them into the show's episode Wikipedia page.

The only number shown there is total viewership in millions, not the demographic breakdown though, so as horrible as the numbers seem we don't know if they've good demos as well (which for a Disney show? I don't even know what those are....)

Numbers are still good.

Okay, so (spoiler) in Ski Lodge Part 2, Maya says 1) that her birthday is six weeks earlier in the year than Josh's and 2) it's already occurred for this year but Josh's hasn't yet.  Now we know from BMW that Josh's birthday is Valentine's Day, February 14.  Six weeks (42 days) before that is January 3; if you want to count five weeks, four days as "rounding up" to 6 weeks, it is as late as January 6.  Now Season 1 established that between the holiday episode where Shawn and Maya met and Maya's birthday episode, the Matthews, Shawn and Maya took a trip upstate - not a lot of time for it, is there?

Now Ski Lodge's time frame of between Maya's and Josh's birthdays of the 9th grade year of Maya and her classmates means that while we weren't looking, Riley turned 15 (December 8), Maya turned 16, and Josh is still 18.  Maya's point is that Josh is only two years older for those six weeks; however, no one makes the point that Josh, a freshman in college, and Maya, a freshman in high school, are still four years apart in their peer groups!

The actors are uniformly adorable but their characters talk like 40 year olds.

Who, at 15, insists on making every conversation they have into an Oprah Book Club moment?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bagert said:

Ski Lodge Part 2 is now YouTube as a collection of all the scenes.  Lucas chooses, Evan's background is revealed, and Josh...

It's also On Demand and in the app. I thought it was pretty good and a fitting end to the triangle. Plus Josya or Maoing is better than anything not Maily

2 minutes ago, Dee said:

The actors are uniformly adorable but their characters talk like 40 year olds.

Who, at 15, insists on making every conversation they have into an Oprah Book Club moment?

Thought that said Orphan Black Book Club at first...

(edited)

The most important thing here is the true endgame of the show, Riley and Maya, are good. This triangle was ruining their relationship and this was absolutely the best way to solve it and to get back on point. Their friendship in my eyes was tainted by this crappy triangle but now we can more forward and it can get back to me believing these two would never hurt each other because they love each other so much. It's much cuter to see Maya rooting for her best friend's relationship than it is seeing her trying to get in between it.

What was the point of part one though? Part two was so much better and we ended up just the way we started so again I'm convinced it was just fan service. But kudos to the writers for sticking to their original script and not letting a bunch of entitled fans change their story any more than they already did. Everything I had a problem with Maya has been erased as well as everything entitled fans swore by. No she never liked Lucas, so no she never put her feelings on hold for Riley, no she never liked Lucas from the beginning, no Lucas never liked her just didn't want to hurt her (though he could've been confused at one point). No Maya didn't push Lucas to pick Riley because he secretly wanted Maya lol. Lucas was always going to choose Riley because that's why Topanga invited Josh. I was never one of those who wanted Riley to give up Lucas because I didn't get it, it was clear that they liked each other and the only person standing in their way was Maya.Riley shouldn't have to give up what she wants just for Maya. Although Lucas please bye, he strung along Riley and Maya this long and get mad because Riley wants to talk to someone else. 

Although I did roll my eyes at the explanation of Maya's feeling. I mean maybe she liked him at one point but got over it. Or realized after "dating" him he isn't as interesting as she thought. Or maybe she got tired of Lucas being jealous of every guy Riley talked to or she got tired of asking him for the same amount of attention Lucas easily gave Riley. I wish they would make Josh younger he is more on Maya's level and I find them more interesting. And kudos to the love intrest this episode, Peyton sounded emotional was he was picking Riley and Josh and Maya scenes were great. I hope to see more of Josh and I like they they aren't jumping into anything. They acknowledged they like each other but can't be together, cool. I think the long game is the best way to go

Also can Riley have scenes with her uncle too?

Edited by beetlesoda
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, bagert said:

Okay, so (spoiler) in Ski Lodge Part 2, Maya says 1) that her birthday is six weeks earlier in the year than Josh's and 2) it's already occurred for this year but Josh's hasn't yet.  Now we know from BMW that Josh's birthday is Valentine's Day, February 14.  Six weeks (42 days) before that is January 3; if you want to count five weeks, four days as "rounding up" to 6 weeks, it is as late as January 6.  Now Season 1 established that between the holiday episode where Shawn and Maya met and Maya's birthday episode, the Matthews, Shawn and Maya took a trip upstate - not a lot of time for it, is there?

Now Ski Lodge's time frame of between Maya's and Josh's birthdays of the 9th grade year of Maya and her classmates means that while we weren't looking, Riley turned 15 (December 8), Maya turned 16, and Josh is still 18.  Maya's point is that Josh is only two years older for those six weeks; however, no one makes the point that Josh, a freshman in college, and Maya, a freshman in high school, are still four years apart in their peer groups!

It feels like the writers' tried to pull the wool over our eyes in regards to ages/timing to make Joshaya okay. Like the average person is not going to look this deeply into it. They're just going to go 'Well, 2 years isn't *that* bad'. This whole thing is totally inappropriate imo and the writers' are deliberately bending over backwards to mislead people about it and skew the details. If you were to frame it as 'A college sophmore interested in a high school freshman' no one would go for it. But, that's exactly what it is. Also, even with the six weeks age gap, Maya and Josh actually have a four year age gap already. So in the six week interim, they would still be THREE years apart not two. 

My biggest issue, is that because kids are the main demographic they're going to take this storyline and think something like this is okay. Certain circumstances warrant further consideration and care, sure. But, because this show isn't going to actually look deeply or seriously at this it comes off as a blanket approval for it. It is not okay for a college aged kid to be into a freshman in high school in a majority of situations. And I don't like that Maya and Josh have all these feelings after they haven't even seen each other in like a year. I know Uriah got into that accident, but it hurt the show since they haven't had any reason or time to really like each other; at least not deeply enough to wait THREE years for each other. I also hate how there is this subtle idea that by pushing and harassing someone and making them feel guilty you will eventually get them to like you. Because Maya's entire arc in regards to Josh has been terrible. 

And though it's obvious that Lucas was going to choose Riley, I'm annoyed that apparently we're still going to have to deal with more triangle BS later in the season so I still feel nothing for it. Girl Meets World is a blight on this world, and I am so sick of it. 

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, bagert said:

The only 16 year old you'd find in Freshman year of High School would be someone left back. Maybe even twice. So... it's unlikely.  

Most Freshmen will start the year at 14 and end it at 15.

Someone graduating High School at 19 is not impossible, but is fairly uncommon. At this pace Maya would be 20 by the end of her Senior Year?  Nuh uh.

EDIT - And yet there is an episode coming up this season called "Girl Meets Sweet Sixteen" about Riley. Meaning even Riley is going to be 16 during her Freshman year (and thus 19 during her Senior year). Again, not impossible, but it pushes Maya into being 20 before graduation, which as I said is just ludicrous.

What are these writers/showrunners smoking?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I was also wondering why they made the Ski Lodge seem like something Topanga never shuts up about, yet Riley had no idea who Lauren was doing the time capsule episode the prior season. ANd I agree, the Josh/Maya thing is strange. I think they either realized how bad it looked and tried to make it seem like the age difference wasn't as big as initially specified, or they are doing the Michael Jacobs trademark of aging the main characters by 2 or 3 years and Maya's actually a senior in HS now. 

The writing for this show is lazy and some times insulting to the viewer. I know they are aiming for a younger demo, and that's fine, but even kids are going to see through logic/plot holes. 

Nice concept for a show, but man did Jacobs flop miserably with this. There was so much potential for this show.

• Love 1

The only 16 year old you'd find in Freshman year of High School would be someone left back. Maybe even twice. So... it's unlikely.  

Most Freshmen will start the year at 14 and end it at 15.

Someone graduating High School at 19 is not impossible, but is fairly uncommon. At this pace Maya would be 20 by the end of her Senior Year?  Nuh uh.

No, I think that since Maya has already had her freshman year birthday, she will 16 at the end of her freshman year, 17 at the end of her junior year, 18 at the end of her junior year, and 19 at the end of her senior year.  BTW, since Lucas had to repeat a year in Texas, I presume he will be 19 at the end of his senior year as well.  Riley has had her freshman birthday (15) and will be 18 at the end of her senior year, and as far as we know, so will Zay, Farkle and Smackle.  Josh is 18 but has not yet had hid college freshman birthday, so he will get his undergraduate degree at 22 if he graduates on schedule.

EDIT - And yet there is an episode coming up this season called "Girl Meets Sweet Sixteen" about Riley. Meaning even Riley is going to be 16 during her Freshman year (and thus 19 during her Senior year). Again, not impossible, but it pushes Maya into being 20 before graduation, which as I said is just ludicrous.

The episode could be about Maya's 16th birthday out of order, but I have another theory.  GMW has a 30-episode order this year.  The Ski Lodge episodes were 3.8 and 3.9, and, as stated above, had to have happened somewhere between January 6 and February 13.  My theory is that Season 3 will contain both freshman and sophomore years, and Season 4 (if they are picked up) their junior and senior years to end of the series.  Why?  1) Michael Jacobs said he wanted them to finish high school by the end of the series, 2) he did precisely this same thing for Seasons 4 and 5 of BMW.  (Remember BMW started in 6th grade, so it took 5 years to finish HS under this strategy.)

(edited)
On 7/23/2016 at 9:19 AM, bagert said:

Thank God...

On 7/23/2016 at 0:17 PM, Skyfall said:

DWAB and A&A are both done.

and Liv & Maddie will be done after this coming season.. not sure about K.C Undercover and Bunk'd though

Edited by TDT
14 minutes ago, Dee said:

Wait, aren't Lucas and Zay the same age?

I don't think so.  If Lucas had to repeat a grade, originally they must have been in different grades.  This is what I understand it to be: in their last year in Texas, Lucas was in 7th grade and Zay in 6th grade; Lucas got into a fight protecting Zay, he was suspended for a year.  Lucas and his family then moved when his dad was transferred to New York, Lucas saw attending (7th grade) at JQA would be a new start for him.  In the middle of the school year, Zay's father was transferred (perhaps from the same company?); Zay was now in 7th grade.

One might ask why Lucas and Zay were best friends in Texas if they were in different grades.  Well, it's been assumed that they played on sports teams together at their previous middle school, and also they may have been in some of the same activities like 4-H, or attended the same church and been in their youth group together.  Now why and how Zay kept from Lucas the fact his family was moving close by was just an oversight by the writers.

(edited)

Well, at least the triangle is over, even though the reason they give for the resolution is absurd beyond words.

Oh and Josh/Maya will never be okay.  Please stop trying to sell them writers.

Edited by Slade347
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, bagert said:

The episode could be about Maya's 16th birthday out of order, but I have another theory.  GMW has a 30-episode order this year.  The Ski Lodge episodes were 3.8 and 3.9, and, as stated above, had to have happened somewhere between January 6 and February 13.  My theory is that Season 3 will contain both freshman and sophomore years, and Season 4 (if they are picked up) their junior and senior years to end of the series.  Why?  1) Michael Jacobs said he wanted them to finish high school by the end of the series, 2) he did precisely this same thing for Seasons 4 and 5 of BMW.  (Remember BMW started in 6th grade, so it took 5 years to finish HS under this strategy.)

I'm skeptical. Part of the reason I think Disney used to be so trigger happy with ending shows in 3 years is because they don't believe they have an audience that ages up with their shows. They instead seem to count on simply resetting their viewership They supposedly acquire viewers around age 6, although they tend to be aspirational about viewing shows about kids slightly older than themselves at that age, and lose them pretty automatically around age 14.  If there ever WAS a plan to take the kids all the way through High School it was pretty flawed, and I don't know if accelerating it would make any more sense, because I don't know if the lingering 14 year olds identify with figures much older than themselves.

15 hours ago, Kromm said:

I'm skeptical. Part of the reason I think Disney used to be so trigger happy with ending shows in 3 years is because they don't believe they have an audience that ages up with their shows. They instead seem to count on simply resetting their viewership They supposedly acquire viewers around age 6, although they tend to be aspirational about viewing shows about kids slightly older than themselves at that age, and lose them pretty automatically around age 14.  If there ever WAS a plan to take the kids all the way through High School it was pretty flawed, and I don't know if accelerating it would make any more sense, because I don't know if the lingering 14 year olds identify with figures much older than themselves.

Disney has had a decent number of lead characters graduate HS in recent years, though.  Off the top of my head, I can think of Austin & Ally (where we saw them beyond graduation), Hannah Montana, Suite Life on Deck, Good Luck Charlie, and Wizards.  Oh, and Liv & Maddie, where they're apparently getting one season of college in before the series ends.  

What was the point of that whole, long, drawn out triangle? Maya was "protecting" Riley by becoming her to then fall for Lucas to see if Lucas was good enough for Riley? The fuck? They probably should have ended this show in middle school because they clearly have no idea how to write for these characters as they grow up. Zay is now my favorite character. He is the only voice of reason.

I just can't believe that after all that, episodes of this stupid triangle, it ended exactly where it started, Riley and Lucas have puppy love, Maya has a crush on Josh and Josh is going to end up with her because Maya always gets what she wants.

• Love 2
(edited)

Disney shows that have taken their lead(s) through to high school graduation (in alphabetical order):

Austin and Ally

Good Luck Charlie

Hannah Montana

Kim Possible

Suite Life on Deck

That's So Raven

Wizards of Waverly Place

Also, Liv and Maddie's title characters are set to graduate high school, yet is renewed for Season 4 and they are apparently going off to college for their final season.

EDIT: Sorry I missed that KerleyQ had most of these listed in an above post.

Edited by bagert
Wanted to acknowledge someone's comment above
On July 24, 2016 at 8:30 PM, TDT said:

Thank God...

and Liv & Maddie will be done after this coming season.. not sure about K.C Undercover and Bunk'd though

The one that just ended or a new season? KC just started season two. Bunk'd has been renewed for second season. The rest are either in season one and/or renewed/starting season two.

Also why is Disney doing these week long marathons with every show now?

(edited)
6 hours ago, Skyfall said:

The one that just ended or a new season? KC just started season two. Bunk'd has been renewed for second season. The rest are either in season one and/or renewed/starting season two.

Also why is Disney doing these week long marathons with every show now?

i  think its already been mentioned above that L & M's upcoming 4th season is its last..

the newer shows currently in the first seasons:Best Friends Whenever,Stuck In The Middle,and Bizarrevaark(sp)

speaking of which i wonder will GMW do another crossover thing..say,Girl Meets Bizarrevaark,Girl Meets In The Middle,Girl Meets K.C( And Goes Undercover),etc LOL

Edited by TDT
On 7/24/2016 at 4:47 PM, bagert said:

No, I think that since Maya has already had her freshman year birthday, she will 16 at the end of her freshman year, 17 at the end of her junior year, 18 at the end of her junior year, and 19 at the end of her senior year.  BTW, since Lucas had to repeat a year in Texas, I presume he will be 19 at the end of his senior year as well.  Riley has had her freshman birthday (15) and will be 18 at the end of her senior year, and as far as we know, so will Zay, Farkle and Smackle.  Josh is 18 but has not yet had hid college freshman birthday, so he will get his undergraduate degree at 22 if he graduates on schedule.

I think Lucas would be like 20-21 by the end of senior year.

Like Zay makes a joke about Lucas' age back in season 2 (I want to say in his first episode, but i could be wrong, I just know it's season 2). That was confirmation Lucas is a year older than everyone else and Lucas even alluded to it w/his whole 'One year lost' speech in Girl Meets True Maya. Maya turned 14 in season 1. So using that timeline Lucas should have turned 16 sometime in season 2 since he would have already been 15 in season 1. So he should be approaching 17 now in season 3. 

I will admit I'm not the best at math here,  but I'm fairly certain I got this right. It's total garbage on the writers part because it's quickly approaching an innappropriate Joshaya situation with him and Riley.