Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Spoilers (and Spoiler Discussion)

(edited)

I don't think a kid that's one year older, in the same grade even, is a big deal at all. Nothing like a hs freshman and a college freshman/sophomore. Has it been established which year Josh is in?

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

I don't think a kid that's one year older, in the same grade even, is a big deal at all. 

It is if lets say... Lucas is a year older and in the same grade as Maya, and Maya is a year older and in the same grade as Riley.  Or rather, we are the very least know for sure that Maya is older ENOUGH compared to Riley that it's been commented on a few times--and that Riley was 12 when the show started and Maya was 13.

I mean this assumes that line about Lucas being a year older than everyone else is literally true. It may be more reasonable to assume Zay was misspeaking and perhaps its as simple as Lucas AND Maya both being on the older end, and the others the younger end. That would make far more sense. They'd both be graduating High School at age 19, but... I suppose we'll just have to live with that (the reason it's rare is because a school term is not really a year--it's 9 months--and the deadline for what school year you wind up usually take that into account so that there isn't typically more than 6 months difference in age between most kids).

I still don't think that's a big deal.  When I was in high school (back in the 80's), it was fairly common for, say a sophomore to date a senior. So, two kids who are in the same grade but one is on the youngest end of that grade's spectrum, and the other is older because they had to repeat a year, is really not a big deal or "icky."  They're in the same grade and, therefore, in a lot of ways, in the same place in life.  A two year age difference in teens dating is nothing unusual or inappropriate.  

• Love 3

I don't know what the cutoff date for what grade you attend in the NYC public school system is in real life, but it appears that in the GMW universe, it is January 1.  That's how Riley's 15th will be on December 8, 2016 and Maya's 16th birthday will be in early January 2017 and they are in the same grade (9th) without anything else involved.  (Yes, either the show is in the future or they need to push back the start date of the series - see my post above about covering two grades both this year and - if renewed - next to get to graduation.)

On July 27, 2016 at 9:40 PM, bagert said:

I don't know what the cutoff date for what grade you attend in the NYC public school system is in real life, but it appears that in the GMW universe, it is January 1.  That's how Riley's 15th will be on December 8, 2016 and Maya's 16th birthday will be in early January 2017 and they are in the same grade (9th) without anything else involved.  (Yes, either the show is in the future or they need to push back the start date of the series - see my post above about covering two grades both this year and - if renewed - next to get to graduation.)

The cutoff in NYC used to be Dec 31, although I think it's changed in the last couple of years.  So that part would be technically correct.

2 hours ago, TDT said:

The two Morgans looking good..

I'm sure that wasn't awkward at ALL, right?

Then again it was never really explained why Morgan #1 was out of there anyway.  It certainly wasn't because she was some kid who bowed out of acting, since she has acted continuously since then (Morgan #2 is the one who left the business). 

Some people are missing(namely Lucas,Farkle and Zay)

Yes, very strange.  Maybe they couldn't afford the three of them with all of these guest stars LOL

By the way, in the picture they had the Morgans next to Uriah, who had two other people playing the role of Josh - babies Cameron and Corbin Ur, according to IMDB :)

(edited)

I think it would be hilarious if they had the Morgans playing a lesbian couple. One is Morgan, the other could be Moesha.

Or if they just had them continually switching places with a wink to the audience.

Edited by methodwriter85
40 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think it would be hilarious if they had the Morgans playing a lesbian couple. One is Morgan, the other could be Moesha.

Or if they just had them continually switching places with a wink to the audience.

or do like Roseanne did in that end credits gag,"The Two Beckys"

• Love 2

Wonky timelines in shows just drive me mad. It's not that hard to keep one down if you just take the time to set a simple one up. It annoys me that I have to put in so much effort to make some sense. Especially with a show like GMW where I feel as if they're purposely manipulating it to force their stories. 

Also, the cut off date where I live is August 1st. I forgot other places have it different. GMW wins this round, for now.

I like the idea of a guest star packed season/series finale, but I'm afraid the execution will be poorly done. 

I'm interested to see how they handle the Morgans.  It would be cute to keep switching them but that might be too meta.  Since the original is a brunette and looks the most like the rest of the Matthews clan (none of them look alike, let's be real), have Lily Nicksay be Morgan and let Lindsay Ridgeway play Maya's aunt or something.  There are a couple of workarounds, I'm just glad they thought to bring both girls back!

25 minutes ago, Spencer Hastings said:

I'm interested to see how they handle the Morgans.  It would be cute to keep switching them but that might be too meta.  Since the original is a brunette and looks the most like the rest of the Matthews clan (none of them look alike, let's be real), have Lily Nicksay be Morgan and let Lindsay Ridgeway play Maya's aunt or something.  There are a couple of workarounds, I'm just glad they thought to bring both girls back!

They both look blond to me.  Just different shades. 

I've never been fazed by the rumors of a series finale. Disney has been known to make weird decisions, but as long as they've got somewhat decent ratings it'll be fine.

And I'm sure it's a defensive mechanism to film a season finale that could function as the series finale. Even if you tie everything up it's really easy to continue with your show despite that. Especially when half the cast is guest appearances. 

The only downside is that they won't be able to do the same thing if they *do* get a 4th season. So the series finale will definitely lack the punch this finale has. 

• Love 1

I'm hoping for a renewal with more Shawn, even if it's because he's marrying the unworthy Katy. The show isn't great but I'm not ready for it to die yet. I really need/want Eric and Shawn to be regulars though.

Feeeeeeeennnnnyyyyy!!!

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 2

The first thing that struck me about the large-group shot is that it is not some perfect Christmas-card picture (Auggie is distracted, Josh is not paying attention, Mr. Turner's face is partially hidden behind Josh's).  Seems right for this bunch LOL

This episode gives the chance for characters that have not met on-screen since BMW to do so, such as Eric and Feeny (of course), Shawn and his mentor/father-figure Mr. Turner, Stuart Minkus and both Shawn and Feeny, and the Morgan(s) with everyone else!  How about this for trivia: when Minkus guest-starred in the Season 5 graduation episode after being gone for 4 years, when leaving one scene they had him calling out to an unseen Mr. Turner, who had not been seen since the end Season 4 (and would not be seen until GMW).  Minkus may finally catch up to him, and meet Turner on-screen for the first time! LOL

• Love 2
On 8/1/2016 at 1:13 AM, Rebecca said:

I'm hoping for a renewal with more Shawn, even if it's because he's marrying the unworthy Katy. The show isn't great but I'm not ready for it to die yet. I really need/want Eric and Shawn to be regulars though.

Feeeeeeeennnnnyyyyy!!!

I just saw a preview for the August 12th episode! Feeny's gonna be marrying Shawn and Katy. Feeenaaay!

9 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I just saw a preview for the August 12th episode! Feeny's gonna be marrying Shawn and Katy. Feeenaaay!

Because of course, like all TV characters who are needed to do so, he probably "took a correspondents course" to be a Minister in some convenient online only Church.

• Love 1
Just now, Kromm said:

Because of course, like all TV characters who are needed to do so, he probably "took a correspondents course" to be a Minister in some convenient online only Church.

Yea. But to be honest, I don't care. I'm just glad to see him again.

• Love 2
On 8/6/2016 at 0:35 PM, bagert said:

About half of Girl Meets I Do is up, as a set of individual scenes.  The boys (Lucas, Farkle and Zay) are not in any of those scenes but are at the curtain call.

The whole episode is now up.  Lucas, Farkle and Zay still don't appear.

5 hours ago, bagert said:

The whole episode is now up.  Lucas, Farkle and Zay still don't appear.

Imagine me rolling my eyes at them being able to throw together a wedding and get Feeney there from the suburbs and not any of their friends from across town.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Kromm said:

Imagine me rolling my eyes at them being able to throw together a wedding and get Feeney there from the suburbs and not any of their friends from across town.

A trio of teenagers not being at the wedding of two adults that they are not related to, barely know, and rarely (if ever, in the case of Zay) interact with might be the most realistic thing about the whole Shawn/Katy romance.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

A trio of teenagers not being at the wedding of two adults that they are not related to, barely know, and rarely (if ever, in the case of Zay) interact with might be the most realistic thing about the whole Shawn/Katy romance.

Eh. It would be under the heading mostly of "get there to support the fact that Maya gets a new Daddy".  And at the very least they knew Katy fairly well if we believe the threadbare explanation (infrequently shown) that she basically runs that stupid bakery they all hang out in whenever Topanga is lawyering (which supposedly happens whether we get to see it or not). 

On August 4, 2016 at 8:55 PM, bagert said:

The first thing that struck me about the large-group shot is that it is not some perfect Christmas-card picture (Auggie is distracted, Josh is not paying attention, Mr. Turner's face is partially hidden behind Josh's).  Seems right for this bunch LOL

This episode gives the chance for characters that have not met on-screen since BMW to do so, such as Eric and Feeny (of course), Shawn and his mentor/father-figure Mr. Turner, Stuart Minkus and both Shawn and Feeny, and the Morgan(s) with everyone else!  How about this for trivia: when Minkus guest-starred in the Season 5 graduation episode after being gone for 4 years, when leaving one scene they had him calling out to an unseen Mr. Turner, who had not been seen since the end Season 4 (and would not be seen until GMW).  Minkus may finally catch up to him, and meet Turner on-screen for the first time! LOL

They've met and talked off screen as evidenced by last season's season finale.

On 8/9/2016 at 10:23 PM, Kromm said:

Eh. It would be under the heading mostly of "get there to support the fact that Maya gets a new Daddy".  And at the very least they knew Katy fairly well if we believe the threadbare explanation (infrequently shown) that she basically runs that stupid bakery they all hang out in whenever Topanga is lawyering (which supposedly happens whether we get to see it or not). 

Yeah, that's why I'm surprised. I don't think the kids are very close to Katy or Shawn (despite how much the show implies that they are), but I would have thought they'd have had the whole gang there for such a pivotal moment in Maya's life. 

12 hours ago, FrumiusManxome said:

Yeah, that's why I'm surprised. I don't think the kids are very close to Katy or Shawn (despite how much the show implies that they are), but I would have thought they'd have had the whole gang there for such a pivotal moment in Maya's life. 

Yea you'd think that.

Tomorrow's the night. Looking forward to seeing Feeny again.

On 8/9/2016 at 5:26 PM, Perfect Xero said:

But they're all bestest of friends, who can't even begin to explore who they are as individuals in high school because it would break up the group. That was the whole pointless episode with the below-stairs pit and their failures to stand on their own and expand their own horizons.

13 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

That was the whole pointless episode with the below-stairs pit and their failures to stand on their own and expand their own horizons.

Oh, maybe the boys realized Riya are holding them back and they finally decided to cut their loses and expand their circle of friends to more than 5 people (themselves included). Oh, wait, forgot what show this is. Nevermind. They are probably having some existential crisis about how the dynamic of their friendship will change now that Maya has a father and are protesting the whole thing because it will change Maya...again.

There are clips available from the upcoming episode Girl Meets Real World.  Riley really comes off as annoying.  I don't mind that she's an optimist but I do mind that the writers make her look ridiculously naive to the point of being an idiot.  I don't care that her friends try hide how the real world works from her.  There's tv and the internet, and Riley has eyes and ears.  Plus, she knows Sean's backstory with his family.  It's unrealistic that we're supposed to buy how sheltered she is.   That bad things can happen should not be news to Riley.  Also, she's rude to Zay to make a point to the others and that's just so unlikable.   I prefer the Lloyd Dobler (Say Anything) approach to optimism where he's aware of bad things but still strives to be positive.  Lloyd wasn't a fool; he was determined to find happiness in things.   Cameron Crowe referred to it as "Optimism as a revolutionary act."

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

Are they calling it Girl Meets the Real World? Everywhere I've seen it listed is Girl Meets Sassy Haltertop, which makes me want to hate it on principle.

My Time Warner guide has it labeled Girl Meets the Real World.

3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

My Time Warner guide has it labeled Girl Meets the Real World.

3 hours ago, AmandaPanda said:

Are they calling it Girl Meets the Real World? Everywhere I've seen it listed is Girl Meets Sassy Haltertop, which makes me want to hate it on principle.

It's original name was Girl Meets the Real World and they changed to it Sassy Haltertop. Then they changed it back for some reason. Probably because Sassy Haltertop sounds annoyingly cutesy.

There are scenes on YouTube already, and from what I've seen it ain't pretty. While Zay and Riley aren't close, and Riley is dealing with some stuff in this episode they crossed a line w/what they have her do imo.  Like they play a fairly serious situation for laughs. I didn't see the fallout, but unless Zay is totally (rightfully) pissed then there was no point in making it such a big thing. 

Zay had one cookie baked by his grandmother who is getting older and may not bake anymore.  She only sent him one cookie because she thinks less of something makes it extra special.  To prove to the others she can be bad, Riley eats the last cookie Zay may ever get from his grandmother. 

On 8/16/2016 at 11:42 PM, TDT said:

Wow for a second i thought that this was going to be the obligatory"racial profiling"episode..

Disney doesn't allow Very Special Episodes now. I think the last one that allowed it was an episode about racism on That's So Raven, and we're talking over a decade ago.

On 15/08/2016 at 11:52 AM, FrumiusManxome said:

It's original name was Girl Meets the Real World and they changed to it Sassy Haltertop. Then they changed it back for some reason. Probably because Sassy Haltertop sounds annoyingly cutesy.

There are scenes on YouTube already, and from what I've seen it ain't pretty. While Zay and Riley aren't close, and Riley is dealing with some stuff in this episode they crossed a line w/what they have her do imo.  Like they play a fairly serious situation for laughs. I didn't see the fallout, but unless Zay is totally (rightfully) pissed then there was no point in making it such a big thing. 

Oh I thought is was something like Riley got or gave a hickie or Lucas accidently touched her boob with his elbow and we'd spend the next part of the flipping season watching Riley angst over if she really wanted to date Lucas now. "Rolls eyes"

18 hours ago, Skyfall said:

My hope? Disney cancels this and gives the guys a spin and Smackle a spinoff in Texas.

I'm with you on the boys, but not Smackle. She's as bad as Sheldon on "The Big Bang Theory."

• Love 1