Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E10: This is How We Party

• Start Topic

I thought the mermaid encounter was really cute, but it seemed like Zoey's adoration towards her friend was a bit one-sided. They didn't interact very much and the mom blew off the party after telling Jen she'd see her next weekend. Of course it's hard to act natural on camera when you're not used to being filmed, but I didn't get the vibe they were especially close. 

It's a bummer it rained on the cookout, but afternoon thunderstorms are par for the course in Florida. I thought the food and the decor looked fantastic, and I loved Jen's party dress. I also think her hair looks nice with the waves in it. I chuckled when she spelled "potato" wrong on the menu board. 

• Love 2

I thought Zoey excitedly introducing her cousin to her friends was so cute.  And then saying how you had to be nice to guests.  She's learning the hostess gig.

The ending of this episode, with Bill and Jen speaking to each other, had the feel of a finale for sure.  I bet this is the last year.  

• Love 9

Yeah, Florida is a real dream.  Anything you do outdoors in the summer will result in you sweating your balls off and yes, it will probably rain, too. 

The speech Bill and Jen gave indoors to their guests was a bit much. The guests weren't there to hear blowhard Bill talk about how wonderful life is for them in St. Pete. It's a party, not an awards banquet!!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I bet this is the last year.  

...But...they need to drag the whole Arnold-Klein clan to India to rediscover Zoey's roots....

Perhaps a very special 6 episode season for the India trip and  to promote the children's books that Will and Zoey will be authoring as well as their parents' book.

The TLC money is just too good to pass up and Bill likes new cars...

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I know Zoey was totally fine and safe but her swimming with the mermaids and looking out through the glass window reminded me of the story in the news right now about the guy who died while underwater trying to propose to his fiance. Sad story.  (Terrible run-on sentence.  Sorry!)

Also, Zoey is just too cute.  She was talking about her new friend and how they had some problems at the beginning of their friendship, but that has since been resolved and everything is good now.  🙂

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 8

Bill said that Zoey has learned how to manipulate Dad a little. That's the understatement of the year. The truth is that both kids have had him wrapped around their little fingers since day one.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

Another episode, another display of spending, spending spending!

When I think of barbecue, I think of hot dogs and hamburgers - NOT 50 whole lobsters and 12 pounds of shrimp!

These two have become the biggest show-offs on reality TV.  And the kids are nothing but spoiled brats.  Again, with the taste test in the fish market, Zoey grabbing the cooked shrimp before she is even told she could have one.  Then when she is allowed, insist on having two, then begs for more to the point where the staff felt forced to feed her more.  Why didn't Bill just say give me a plate and put it on my tab - or feed the kids BEFORE you show up! ugh.

Edited by JerseyGirl
  • Love 15

Zoey acts like the four or five year olds in the local pre-K and kindergarten.  She sounds just like them, too.  The problem is she's turning 8 next month so her behavior should be encouraged to be much better.  Developmentally she's a bright five year old and possibly because of her stature, she gets treated that way.  It's sad, because in the end it's only going to harm her.

I expect with the shopping being filmed the place is going to be OK with it and I can even imagine based on filming of other reality shows that a production member was even egging Zoey on with don't you want just one more shrimp?  Either way whether she was being spoiled or egged on, I see it as another sign that filming isn't good for these kids.  Seven year olds should know/have been taught that such behavior is not OK.  A five year old should be told no firmly and the behavior halted.  

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

The ending of this episode, with Bill and Jen speaking to each other, had the feel of a finale for sure.  I bet this is the last year.  

I don't see  either Bill or Jen wanting to give up the show.   I would like to see Zoey's trip to India, but not much else now that I have seem them at Weeki Wachee.

It is so different from when we went there, but I would love to go back to see the mermaids again.   (I shouldn't mention mermaids, because it always starts The Love Song of Alfred J Prufrock in my head).   I feel cheated because in all the years we went I never swam with the mermaids.  I do not think that they will swim with me.  I just looked at the website and there is nothing in the activities about swimming with the mermaids so I am guessing that was specially arranged for Zoey and friends.  

41 minutes ago, JerseyGirl said:

When I think of barbecue, I think of hot dogs and hamburgers - NOT 50 whole lobsters and 12 pounds of shrimp!

They had hot dogs for the kids.   I could see 50 lobsters as I could easily eat 2 at a party--especially if I were swimming.  They could send left overs home with the guests and/or remove all the meat from the remaining lobsters and freeze it to use in salads.   And leftover shrimp freezes well.  Shrimp and bacon make a great topping for pizza.   Or a bacon and shrimp cheese omelet for breakfast.  I am making myself hungry.

What bugged me as someone who has been through many a summer in Florida is that they didn't have a specific Plan B for the kids in case of rain.   I know she relied on the radar and weather forecast, but anyone who grew up in Florida should know to have a back up  plan.

I did enjoy seeing the simulation at the hospital.  

• Love 11
2 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

AND their guest list was around 50 people! So, one lobster a piece. Holy crap. 

I'd happily polish off more than one, if invited.

And if I had money to spare, I'd throw a party for my MightyBigTV  TWoP  PTV Primetimer peeps with lobster, Alaskan King crab, snow crab claws, caviar, ribs, porterhouse steaks and all the other good stuff.  Anyone who wants hot dogs & hamburgers will also be accommodated, as will vegans, vegetarians, Rastafarians, and special diet snowflakes.

(So now's the time to hope I hit the lotto, my friends!).    ;~)

The hospital SIMs scene was everything I admire about Jen in a nutshell.

• LOL 1
  • Love 23
4 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I'm all for enjoying the fruits of your labor, but 50 lobsters is over the top by any measure!

The food looked so good! I could eat several lobsters myself. 

Growing up, I had an in ground pool. We would have pool parties. No lobster, we often did burgers and hot dogs but we had the occasional steak. I know if we could have afforded lobster for all we would have, but there would be no way us kids would have had hot dogs instead! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

The food looked so good! I could eat several lobsters myself. 

Growing up, I had an in ground pool. We would have pool parties. No lobster, we often did burgers and hot dogs but we had the occasional steak. I know if we could have afforded lobster for all we would have, but there would be no way us kids would have had hot dogs instead! 

Way back when I had a working pool (before the mating ducks), I let a boyfriend throw himself a birthday pool party.  My friend, Spearchucker John, brought a few freshly caught halibut for the Barbie.  He showed me how to make "mock lobster" with halibut cheeks - boiling water, brown sugar, and then tons of melted butter -YUM YUM, in my tum tum.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Way back when I had a working pool (before the mating ducks), I let a boyfriend throw himself a birthday pool party.  My friend, Spearchucker John, brought a few freshly caught halibut for the Barbie.  He showed me how to make "mock lobster" with halibut cheeks - boiling water, brown sugar, and then tons of melted butter -YUM YUM, in my tum tum.

Oh yum. There really isn't any sea food I won't eat besides mussels. When I was dating my husband, we went to visit his sister in Vancouver. They took us to a restaurant that one of their neighbors worked at. The man surprised us with this massive seafood appetizer. It had crab claws, shrimp, salmon different ways, mussels, clams, and lobster..... everything you name it. I was the only one out of the 4 that loves almost all  sea food so guess who ate most of it? The guys managed the mussels since I refused and they picked at therest. I thought I was going to explode that night! I could not eat my meal! Which was fish! 

I would have been very happy at the Klein's pool party. I swim too! 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Oh yum. There really isn't any sea food I won't eat besides mussels. When I was dating my husband, we went to visit his sister in Vancouver. They took us to a restaurant that one of their neighbors worked at. The man surprised us with this massive seafood appetizer. It had crab claws, shrimp, salmon different ways, mussels, clams, and lobster..... everything you name it. I was the only one out of the 4 that loves almost all  sea food so guess who ate most of it? The guys managed the mussels since I refused and they picked at therest. I thought I was going to explode that night! I could not eat my meal! Which was fish! 

I would have been very happy at the Klein's pool party. I swim too! 

Vancouver is my home town, and I spent some time in Hawaii working with fish researchers, so fresh seafood is my jam.  

I'd be happy spending some time with the Kleins, lobster or not.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Vancouver is my home town, and I spent some time in Hawaii working with fish researchers, so fresh seafood is my jam.  

I'd be happy spending some time with the Kleins, lobster or not.

My SIL and her husband were in Port Coquitlam, close to where that pig farm was were the women were killed. Its a lovely area despite that! And Vancouver is gorgeous. 

I would love to meet the Kleins. I know they aren't perfect, who is? But I think they seem genuinely nice and I think Bill is hysterical. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I agree the show has run its course; however, I'm sure Jen will keep a heavy presence on social media and keep the family in the news.

Maybe when the TLC contract expires Bill will have the opportunity to shill his "pee pads" and/or other business ventures.

I'm sure the family will miine their huge social media presence to the max!!

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I agree the show has run its course; however, I'm sure Jen will keep a heavy presence on social media and keep the family in the news.

Maybe when the TLC contract expires Bill will have the opportunity to shill his "pee pads" and/or other business ventures.

I'm sure the family will miine their huge social media presence to the max!!

Like I said, if it is over, I would like to see an occasional special to catch up on how everyone is. I'd much rather watch them then some of the dreck that TLC puts on. 

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Like I said, if it is over, I would like to see an occasional special to catch up on how everyone is. I'd much rather watch them then some of the dreck that TLC puts on. 

I guess if the numbers work for TLC and the Klein's they might consider it; however, they can still keep us up to date on the kids activities and progress on Facebook/Instagram and can do books (and book signings), get promotional fees for various products, market other items and generally keep in the public eye without the production staff interfering with their daily routines. 

Maybe when the cameras are shut down there won't be the need for the constant lavish entertainments/parties/events/trips/purchases that, IMO, give the  kids a completely distorted view of how most everyday Americans live their lives.  

I guess we'll see....

• Love 2
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't think so. 

I Googled it and this is what I found:

image.png.daab493bfe5c181406efac8ae2d62d25.png

2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I'd happily polish off more than one, if invited.

And if I had money to spare, I'd throw a party for my MightyBigTV  TWoP  PTV Primetimer peeps with lobster, Alaskan King crab, snow crab claws, caviar, ribs, porterhouse steaks and all the other good stuff.  Anyone who wants hot dogs & hamburgers will also be accommodated, as will vegans, vegetarians, Rastafarians, and special diet snowflakes.

(So now's the time to hope I hit the lotto, my friends!).    ;~)

The hospital SIMs scene was everything I admire about Jen in a nutshell.

I wonder if she was entertaining some co-workers as part of the guest list?  There may be certain expectations about the kinds of food that should be served.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, readheaded said:

I Googled it and this is what I found:

image.png.daab493bfe5c181406efac8ae2d62d25.png

I wonder if she was entertaining some co-workers as part of the guest list?  There may be certain expectations about the kinds of food that should be served.

Yes, I'm pretty sure she mentioned friends from work - not that it should make any difference to the menu ...

• Love 1
1 minute ago, walnutqueen said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure she mentioned friends from work - not that it should make any difference to the menu ...

I just meant that with some jobs, a certain caliber of entertaining is expected.  I worked for the COO of a Hopkins medical institution and there were very old-school rules and expectations about all kinds of things.  That's one of many reasons why I no longer work there, lol.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

I guess if the numbers work for TLC and the Klein's they might consider it; however, they can still keep us up to date on the kids activities and progress on Facebook/Instagram and can do books (and book signings), get promotional fees for various products, market other items and generally keep in the public eye without the production staff interfering with their daily routines. 

Maybe when the cameras are shut down there won't be the need for the constant lavish entertainments/parties/events/trips/purchases that, IMO, give the  kids a completely distorted view of how most everyday Americans live their lives.  

I guess we'll see....

They'll be back. Bill and Jen are listed as Exec. Producers. TLC will have to cancel it by ripping it out of their cold, dead hands.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Admittedly, the children can be bratty but that is because they are lavished with endless toys by their lenient parents.

The Arnold- Kleins are more watchable than the Dunderheads of Arkansas, the fame and money grubbing Busbys, the pumpkin growers in Oregon with so much divorce drama and those pathetic 90 day Fiancee carnival characters....

TLC's stable of shows is thin...

• Love 12

I've seen the pattern that almost all TLC shows follow and I refuse to start any new ones.  I'll watch the ones I still have until they're cancelled and then I'm done.  The Kleins are deep into events produced for the TV show and that has very little draw for me.  Overwrought manufactured drama for the sake of drama and hoped for ratings leaves me cold.  May the Kleins proceed to blessed normal life soon.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, pdlinda said:

IMO, give the  kids a completely distorted view of how most everyday Americans live their lives.  

Well, except that the Kleins are, let's face it, very wealthy. I doubt that they will suddenly start giving BBQ's in a local park.  Their school, I would imagine, is very expensive and therefore their friends also come from wealth.   Their kids will be unlikely to mingle with everyday Americans at any time in their lives. 

That's the class system in America.  The Kleins didn't invent it, it's always been that way.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Their school, I would imagine, is very expensive and therefore their friends also come from wealth.   Their kids will be unlikely to mingle with everyday Americans at any time in their lives. 

I happened to visit the website of the Catholic School both Klein kids attend and, no, the tuition is FAR from the tens of thousands of dollars charged by typical private schools in our Country today.  From the material provided by the admin, the focus of the school is to encourage all its students to become participating members of their community and reach their full potential.  I didn't get the impression AT ALL that the student body is comprised of children coming exclusively from "wealthy" homes.  As a matter of fact, I got the exact opposite vibe.  Even glancing at the families who attended Will's lavish birthday party, I didn't get any indication that they were upper-class "snobby" types who relish their "designer" duds and leave the running of their homes (and driving) to others.  The families appeared to be very down-to-earth middle class American (and maybe some from other Countries) folks.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

The families appeared to be very down-to-earth middle class American (and maybe some from other Countries) folks.

Then no worries that the kids will be exposed to "everyday Americans" at some point if they are invited to the homes of their classmates.  

• Love 5
16 hours ago, readheaded said:

I just meant that with some jobs, a certain caliber of entertaining is expected.  I worked for the COO of a Hopkins medical institution and there were very old-school rules and expectations about all kinds of things.  That's one of many reasons why I no longer work there, lol.

Her co-workers that came might not be an orderly or someone who cleans the rooms but a top surgeon etc.... to be honest, I agree, I can't see feeding them plain old hot dogs and boxed burgers with chips. The director of the library I work at threw a house warming party when he and his wife (my manager) bought their first house. We didn't have lobster but there were in addition to hamburgers and hotdogs, BBQ chicken breast and delicious side dishes. 

14 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I happened to visit the website of the Catholic School both Klein kids attend and, no, the tuition is FAR from the tens of thousands of dollars charged by typical private schools in our Country today.  From the material provided by the admin, the focus of the school is to encourage all its students to become participating members of their community and reach their full potential.  I didn't get the impression AT ALL that the student body is comprised of children coming exclusively from "wealthy" homes.  As a matter of fact, I got the exact opposite vibe.  Even glancing at the families who attended Will's lavish birthday party, I didn't get any indication that they were upper-class "snobby" types who relish their "designer" duds and leave the running of their homes (and driving) to others.  The families appeared to be very down-to-earth middle class American (and maybe some from other Countries) folks.

they never struck me as flaunting their wealth. I don't see them talking about top class this and that. Yes, they have money. The more money you have the better things you buy. I'm not rich but I can shop at Macy's others who aren't go to Walmart for their clothing and shoes. That is the way it is. 

• Love 10

I sure hope the camera crew got to eat!

I thought about the awkwardness of inviting friends and family to a party and having to ask them to sign waivers to be on camera (at least it would be awkward for me).  I think as a guest I would much rather be invited when the cameras weren't rolling.

• Love 9

They hired life guards to watch the kids in the pool, which I thought was a good idea. They should have went the extra step and hired a caterer too. It really was a lot of work to put on Bill's brother to make him cook all of the food for 50 people. The way that Bill and Jen spend money, I'm very surprised that they didn't hire a caterer.

Edited by Libby
  • Love 13
8 minutes ago, Libby said:

The way that Bill and Jen spend money, I'm very surprised that they didn't hire a caterer.

I think the producers may like to inject a "down home" vibe to the otherwise lavish spending of the Klein's...something that might be more "relatable"  to the audience.  My sense is that if the party was given independent of the show there would have been a caterer involved.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

I think the producers may like to inject a "down home" vibe to the otherwise lavish spending of the Klein's...something that might be more "relatable"  to the audience.  My sense is that if the party was given independent of the show there would have been a caterer involved.

I agree. A common reality show trope is the cast rushing around setting up for a party and the requisite "Oh no, we're running out of time!" panic scene. With all their money, there's no way in hell Bill and Jen would've been slogging around in the humidity arranging tables and chairs. 

Regarding the brother, he looked exhausted and ready to bounce when Bill was giving his speech. Most of the other guests did as well. 

• Love 8
On 9/25/2019 at 5:06 PM, pdlinda said:

I happened to visit the website of the Catholic School both Klein kids attend and, no, the tuition is FAR from the tens of thousands of dollars charged by typical private schools in our Country today.  From the material provided by the admin, the focus of the school is to encourage all its students to become participating members of their community and reach their full potential.  

This right here is one of the many reasons why I would never do a reality show and I sure as hell wouldn't allow my kids to do one.   Strangers on the internet can just look up whatever they want on the kids. Every stranger knows their names,  parents names,  pets names,  etc etc.    I just don't understand why they keep doing the show.  

I don't dislike this family.  This was the first episode  I've watched in years.  They seem like nice people who love their kids but I had to stop watching after what they did to Zoey on her first day with them.  

I too was wondering why they didn't have a plan b for the party.  Good thing their house is big enough to hold everyone.  

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Regarding the brother, he looked exhausted and ready to bounce when Bill was giving his speech. Most of the other guests did as well. 

LOLOLOL....the entire monumental extravaganza reminded me of how much I detest events like that one!!

• Love 4

I didn't think it was right to host a party and expect your family to do all the work. I agree that the parents and brothers were put on. When you live in Florida, you don't start an outdoor party in the summer after 3:00; you'll most likely have thunderstorms. That party should have started at 1:00. Lavish spending for 'a party' IMO. Lobsters & shrimp for that many people? I didn't think it a good idea to have so many children and adults at the same gathering. Looked a bit chaotic to me. I felt badly for the relatives sweating and cooking like that. I agree that a caterer would have been better. The menu was more for an indoor dinner party for adults. Have separate parties. I also noticed when the boys were jumping on the bunk beds, Will was waving his PASSPORT around. Why does a child have access to his passport? That is an important document. It should have been locked up with the other important papers. I hope the Kleins invited their adult family for a separate, catered dinner/swim at their home to thank them for all of THEIR work. The parents and other adults at the party looked uncomfortable to me; like they HAD to show up and really didn't want to.

• Love 9

It was all so much a we're doing this thing to produce an episode to me.  No one looked like they were having a real party except for the boys.  The adults were mostly why on earth did I agree to do this?  There was too much chaos and lack of preparation for the almost inevitable storm.  It's almost like production wanted a set up for the ensuing drama.  😉

• Love 7

I thought lobster was a ridiculous choice for the backyard barbecue. Lobsters are difficult to eat. They did not have enough table space for all of the guests. Jen said that there was plenty of seating. How exactly did she expect people to crack a lobster on a plate in their lap?

Jen really needs to stick to medicine. She repeatedly displays that she is incompetent when it comes to "home" skills.

Edited by Libby
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

The parents and other adults at the party looked uncomfortable to me; like they HAD to show up and really didn't want to.

I got the same vibe. I know mileage varies on whether or not the Kleins flaunt their wealth, but IMO they can definitely be a bit braggy. For example, when Bill was talking to that one mom about Will's sailing camp, he just had to throw in that it was an expensive hobby. Jen's co-worker asks her if her upcoming sim is the biggest one yet and she disdainfully replies, "not even close." If that's a constant pattern, I can see it being a turn-off to other adults, particularly the parents of the kids' school friends. 

Part of me also wonders if Nico and her mother found filming unenjoyable and that's why they didn't come to the party. Of course, something could've come up, but it's just a thought. 

• Love 9