Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E10: This is How We Party

• Start Topic

I re-watched the episode last evening (fell asleep while the original was playing) and was struck that with all the emphasis the Klein's place on the children's "CULTURE" I didn't see ONE child from Zoey's Bollywood class (friends) with parents and/or ONE child (friend) from any Chinese enrichment activities Will has ( I think the karate classes were in Houston but maybe he continued with some cultural activities in St. Pete)?   

The guests appeared to all look like Jen and Bill. 

To me, if you're intent on giving the kids life experience in "diversity"  (as the Klein's claim)  the most authentic goal would be having people of all cultural/ethnic backgrounds at your social occasions.  Maybe I missed seeing all the guests????

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I doubt the production crew were able to call in a thunderstorm on cue.

Florida in the late summer on the coast = chance of afternoon thunderstorm around 80%.  Jen knew it enough to supposedly be checking the weather app all day.  

• Love 4

Grew up in Florida and there was a thunderstorm 5 days out of 7 late afternoon without fail!  Poor planning.  Also agree the crowd was not very ethnic...the only ones were Will and Zoey.  

Will waving around his passport like it was a toy, wonder if it was an old one, after all he has travelled extensively!  

Bill enjoys being “pussy-whippped” much as he complains, he has learned to get out of Jen’s way and do it her way...I am remembering the planning of one of the birthday parties in Houston and Bill left the table IIRC.  Jen was very intense then, she appeared “focused” for this one but she has to be on meds to be so much more relaxed overall!  LOL. 

Will and Zoey are so childlike compared to their friends.  They are certainly behind in their emotional development.  Bill and the word discipline just don’t go in the same sentence do they....the kids have his number.  It will do them no favours in their overall education.  I did like how they acknowledged they had to be nice to “them” meaning their company.  At least that was something!

They certainly have a beautiful home.  

Does Bill work anymore at all or just sell those pee pads.  I wonder if they still own Rocky and Maggie’s in Houston.  

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I am remembering the planning of one of the birthday parties in Houston and Bill left the table IIRC.  Jen was very intense then, she appeared “focused” for this one but she has to be on meds to be so much more relaxed overall!  LOL. 

I remember that she called a meeting at the dining room table. She gave her parents and Bill multiple pages (14, I think) of instructions for party set up. Judy remarked that she thought that she was just helping out and that she didn't know that there would be a test. Even Judy thought that Jen was nuts. Jen has definitely calmed down a lot.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Grew up in Florida and there was a thunderstorm 5 days out of 7 late afternoon without fail!  Poor planning.  Also agree the crowd was not very ethnic...the only ones were Will and Zoey.  

Will waving around his passport like it was a toy, wonder if it was an old one, after all he has travelled extensively!  

Bill enjoys being “pussy-whippped” much as he complains, he has learned to get out of Jen’s way and do it her way...I am remembering the planning of one of the birthday parties in Houston and Bill left the table IIRC.  Jen was very intense then, she appeared “focused” for this one but she has to be on meds to be so much more relaxed overall!  LOL. 

Will and Zoey are so childlike compared to their friends.  They are certainly behind in their emotional development.  Bill and the word discipline just don’t go in the same sentence do they....the kids have his number.  It will do them no favours in their overall education.  I did like how they acknowledged they had to be nice to “them” meaning their company.  At least that was something!

They certainly have a beautiful home.  

Does Bill work anymore at all or just sell those pee pads.  I wonder if they still own Rocky and Maggie’s in Houston.  

According to the Rocky and Maggie's Google listing, they still own it.

• LOL 1

I wonder if Bill and Jen know any other dwarfs? The Johnsons and Roloffs all went to those Little People Conventions yearly. It might do Will and Zoey some good to be around other dwarf children sometimes, besides Indian and Chinese ones? Do these kids even realize that they are different I wonder?

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

I wonder if Bill and Jen know any other dwarfs? The Johnsons and Roloffs all went to those Little People Conventions yearly. It might do Will and Zoey some good to be around other dwarf children sometimes, besides Indian and Chinese ones? Do these kids even realize that they are different I wonder?

I was thinking the exact same thing!!

5 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I didn't see ONE child from Zoey's Bollywood class (friends) with parents and/or ONE child (friend) from any Chinese enrichment activities Will has ( I think the karate classes were in Houston but maybe he continued with some cultural activities in St. Pete)?   

How do we know they were not invited and declined to come?  It's not like they should roam the streets looking for certain ethnic groups to attend.

• Love 6

I think if the teacher and students from the Bollywood class had been invited and declined we likely would have heard about it being as Jen and Bill are all about supporting both kids in their ethnic backgrounds!  

I also googled LPA in Florida and they have several chapters in Florida including the northeast.  I do wonder if the Kleins align themselves with LPA as the other dwarf families do that have been on TLC.  I remember they attended a few years ago just not sure if this still happens.  That was a good point another poster made about whether or not the kids know they are different size wise as they certainly know they are different ethnically!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think I remember (1 of) them saying they signed up to adopt through LPA, besides 1 or more other organizations, when they were going to try to become parents. Either before they started fertility treatments, after they started them, or after they, & surrogacy, failed.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I think I remember (1 of) them saying they signed up to adopt through LPA, besides 1 or more other organizations, when they were going to try to become parents. Either before they started fertility treatments, after they started them, or after they, & surrogacy, failed.

They also said in their book that they were active in the LPA groups when they younger.  

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Since passports for children under 16 have to be renewed every 5 years (instead of the usual every 10 years), it's possible that it was an old one.  If so, strange that they don't have it put away as a scrapbook-worthy item.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Since passports for children under 16 have to be renewed every 5 years (instead of the usual every 10 years), it's possible that it was an old one.  If so, strange that they don't have it put away as a scrapbook-worthy item.

Also, I noticed that there was at least one hole punched in the cover, which means it’s old. I paid special attention once I noticed it was a passport and wondering why he was playing with it.  

• Love 2

Other than their parents & that one trip to Roloff farm, I'm not sure how much exposure to other fellow Little People Will & Zoe have had. So far the focus has been ethnic involvement. Bill & Jen seem....a little alergic to the words Little People. 

Sure you could argue Little is in the the name of the show, but The Skeletal Dysplasia Couple just doesn't have marketable appeal lol. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sugarbaker said:

Other than their parents & that one trip to Roloff farm, I'm not sure how much exposure to other fellow Little People Will & Zoe have had. So far the focus has been ethnic involvement. Bill & Jen seem....a little alergic to the words Little People. 

Sure you could argue Little is in the the name of the show, but The Skeletal Dysplasia Couple just doesn't have marketable appeal lol. 

Maybe they are teaching the kids to live as normally as possible in spite of their disability, in a world where everything is made for taller people? I am disabled, and never knew anyone else with my disability until I was an adult. Even then, I can honestly say, I only have one friend that has it. I really can't identify with most people with my disability, so it really doesn't bother me. I live in a world where people don't have my disability, and I need to assimilate. 

• Love 11

I always felt that Bill was the one who just had to have children. Jen seemed happy with the life she had..working in the sim lab, making speeches and traveling here and there fairly often. I think she was just fine with  life as it was. She was fairly well known on her own even before they got their own show. I always wonder if all of those hormone shots she had for egg retrival somehow brought on the type of cancer she had soon after that was over with?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

"Maybe they are teaching the kids to live as normally as possible in spite of their disability, in a world where everything is made for taller people?" That also goes for culture though too. Maybe they just need to assimilate as Americans as many of other cultures do when living here, and adopt their new culture as their own?

Bill makes a point to boast what a great mom Jen is because she comes off not as naturally emotionally connected with them as he.

To be fair, we only see a little slice of her interactions with the kids but many are stiff and awkward as they talk over her never ending lectures but we don't see 99% of their family life.

Gonna support the lobster per person and 12 pounds of shrimp as enticement to be part of the filming with not blurring of faces...

Will has his old passport because they already renewed his for their upcoming trip to ...no shocker here...India...and they need a valid passport to get the flights booked in the advance planning stages...not uncommon to get it a year before it expires for big trips...

Jen pushes the "best friend" because she has said how lonely her childhood was because of her surgeries, the isolation she felt being"different" and she is going to make damn sure Zoey has a best friend...but it looks like a fail since Nico's family are not fame seekers....

Zoey has her cousins to watch her back and her introducing them to her friend shows her budding social skills...

Looking forward to the day when Zoey realizes she is eating animals and her love of animals will collide with her love of seafood and meat....

Their house is really great for big parties and am sure they will hire a team of cleaners to hose it down...

Guess Kate/spouse didn't want to be  slaves to get the party staged...smart...

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Sugarbaker said:

I do recall that when the kids were younger there was an episode where Jen and Bill were reading to them from children's story books about "Little People" .    

I also recall Bill stating how he was bullied about his size growing up and remember Will stating that his karate buddies kept calling him a "baby" so it is reasonable to assume that the issue of the kids status as "Little People" really can't be swept under the rug and ignored.

I do believe that the kids will definitely benefit from our society today where people's "differences" are accepted and there is an emphasis on "diversity" and "inclusion."

• Love 6

I'm confused.

First Bill and Jen should be seeking friendships with other LP's because they are?  So blind individuals should go out of their way to find other blind people for friends?  The deaf should only hobnob with the deaf?

Then they should just ignore the cultures of their children so they are, what, more "American"?  Lots of people from different cultures live in the US and wear native dress and eat their normal foods and are "assimilated".  This is country that has traditionally embraced other immigrants and is stronger because if it.  

I was born and raised in the US. That doesn't mean that my parents desire to teach me about my ancestry makes me less "assimilated".  It makes me appreciate the richness of diversity.

• Love 16
29 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I think the kids Will said were calling him a “baby” in karate were doing so because of his immature behavior of giggling and screaming/squealing like a banshee back then anyway.  

I would agree with that theory but am not sure Jen and Bill wouldn't automatically conclude that instead of focusing on the inappropriate behavior, the other kids were reacting to Will's size.  In either case, I'm sure Jen and Bill can appropriately guide the kids on how to handle taunts made by other kids as they've experienced similar incidents themselves.  I recall that in a recent episode reference was made to Jen's size (or maybe Bill's) by children of their friends and it was immediately handled in a most effective way.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm confused.

First Bill and Jen should be seeking friendships with other LP's because they are?  So blind individuals should go out of their way to find other blind people for friends?  The deaf should only hobnob with the deaf?

Then they should just ignore the cultures of their children so they are, what, more "American"?  Lots of people from different cultures live in the US and wear native dress and eat their normal foods and are "assimilated".  This is country that has traditionally embraced other immigrants and is stronger because if it.  

I was born and raised in the US. That doesn't mean that my parents desire to teach me about my ancestry makes me less "assimilated".  It makes me appreciate the richness of diversity.

Exactly!  Being "American" and learning about one's own ancestry are not mutually exclusive.  These kids are "American."  Learning about their own cultures will not make them less so, not to mention that their cultures are interwoven in the American fabric.  Their countries of origin are part of their identity.  I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with Bill and Jen providing them with opportunities to learn more about their cultures.  

• Love 10

Unless an American Indian, each one of us is originally from another country. Some recently, and some in the distant past. I imagine most of us have never been back to our country of origin due to a lack of money? Zoey and Will are Americans, as are we all. Doesn't really matter how we got here. I am thankful that my great grand parents emigrated here from Germany. Some want to hold onto their original culture..others choose not to. To each his own. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LesterX said:

Exactly!  Being "American" and learning about one's own ancestry are not mutually exclusive.  These kids are "American."  Learning about their own cultures will not make them less so, not to mention that their cultures are interwoven in the American fabric.  Their countries of origin are part of their identity.  I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with Bill and Jen providing them with opportunities to learn more about their cultures.  

I agree and if I were to adopt a child from another country, I'd feel obligated to show them their culture of origin and embrace it because the child didn't have a choice in leaving their birth country.  

1 minute ago, winsomeone said:

Unless an American Indian, each one of us is originally from another country. Some recently, and some in the distant past. I imagine most of us have never been back to our country of origin due to a lack of money? Zoey and Will are Americans, as are we all. Doesn't really matter how we got here. I am thankful that my great grand parents emigrated here from Germany. Some want to hold onto their original culture..others choose not to. To each his own. 

They are Americans, but didn't have a choice in the matter.  It's a little more of a delicate situation to be a child in an orphanage and be adopted to a new country than to make the decision to forge a life for yourself and your family in a new country.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

... if I were to adopt a child from another country, I'd feel obligated to show them their culture of origin and embrace it because the child didn't have a choice in leaving their birth country.  

Totally agree. Especially a  child who is clearly "non-white".  I would want them to learn about  and embrace their cultures if they chose to. 

2 hours ago, LesterX said:

Being "American" and learning about one's own ancestry are not mutually exclusive.  These kids are "American."  Learning about their own cultures will not make them less so, not to mention that their cultures are interwoven in the American fabric.  Their countries of origin are part of their identity.  I'm not sure why anyone has a problem with Bill and Jen providing them with opportunities to learn more about their cultures.  

1000 likes to this.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Bill makes a point to boast what a great mom Jen is because she comes off not as naturally emotionally connected with them as he.

To be fair, we only see a little slice of her interactions with the kids but many are stiff and awkward as they talk over her never ending lectures but we don't see 99% of their family life.

Gonna support the lobster per person and 12 pounds of shrimp as enticement to be part of the filming with not blurring of faces...

Will has his old passport because they already renewed his for their upcoming trip to ...no shocker here...India...and they need a valid passport to get the flights booked in the advance planning stages...not uncommon to get it a year before it expires for big trips...

Jen pushes the "best friend" because she has said how lonely her childhood was because of her surgeries, the isolation she felt being"different" and she is going to make damn sure Zoey has a best friend...but it looks like a fail since Nico's family are not fame seekers....

Zoey has her cousins to watch her back and her introducing them to her friend shows her budding social skills...

Looking forward to the day when Zoey realizes she is eating animals and her love of animals will collide with her love of seafood and meat....

Their house is really great for big parties and am sure they will hire a team of cleaners to hose it down...

Guess Kate/spouse didn't want to be  slaves to get the party staged...smart...

Regarding the bolded: India is 1 of the countries where you have to have at least 6 months left on your current passport, or get a new 1, to be able to get a visa to enter the country.

I got that from a travel video channel I watch on YouTube. The hostess & her husband, a “grandparents” age couple, travel all over (but seem to like revisiting certain countries; or else maybe they’re just running out of habitable places they haven’t visited yet). During a series of videos where the couple was supposed to be going to India, the woman made this big point of telling viewers you need to have at least 6 months of validity left on your passport to even get a visa for India—then when they got to India, she (just she) was deported & couldn’t enter the country because she had somehow brought her old passport that was still valid (I guess out of habit), without the India visa, & didn’t realize it, instead of the new passport she had to have gotten to qualify for a visa for India. (she eventually was able to enter India).

• Useful 1
On 9/29/2019 at 2:25 PM, pdlinda said:

I would agree with that theory but am not sure Jen and Bill wouldn't automatically conclude that instead of focusing on the inappropriate behavior, the other kids were reacting to Will's size.  In either case, I'm sure Jen and Bill can appropriately guide the kids on how to handle taunts made by other kids as they've experienced similar incidents themselves.  I recall that in a recent episode reference was made to Jen's size (or maybe Bill's) by children of their friends and it was immediately handled in a most effective way.

Regarding the bolded: It was in the dance recital episode. Jen was staying backstage with Zoey before the show & 1 of the other kids involved (I never could tell if they were dancing with Zoey or with another group around that age) apparently didn’t understand how someone who was close to her size could be Jen’s age. Jen said something about her own, & Zoey’s, age & something about her size, & then something about how she (& Zoey) was different from that little girl because everybody’s different in some way(s).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a typo.
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Regarding the bolded: It was in the dance recital episode. Jen was staying backstage with Zoey before the show & 1 of the other kids involved (I never could tell if they were dancing with Zoey or with another group around that age) apparently didn’t understand how someone who was close to her size could be Zoey’s age. Jen said something about her own, & Zoey’s, age & something about her size, & then something about how she (& Zoey) was different from that little girl because everybody’s different in some way(s).

Bill had a similar experience a few seasons back when they went to Maine? (it may have been somewhere else in New England) to visit his old friend.  Her young son was curious about Bill’s stature and asked him questions about it.  

• Love 4
On 9/28/2019 at 10:23 AM, AZChristian said:

Will's passport had a hole through it. When you send in your old passport for a new one, it gets returned with the hole punched in.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2019 at 12:12 PM, pdlinda said:

I re-watched the episode last evening (fell asleep while the original was playing) and was struck that with all the emphasis the Klein's place on the children's "CULTURE" I didn't see ONE child from Zoey's Bollywood class (friends) with parents and/or ONE child (friend) from any Chinese enrichment activities Will has ( I think the karate classes were in Houston but maybe he continued with some cultural activities in St. Pete)?   

The guests appeared to all look like Jen and Bill. 

To me, if you're intent on giving the kids life experience in "diversity"  (as the Klein's claim)  the most authentic goal would be having people of all cultural/ethnic backgrounds at your social occasions.  Maybe I missed seeing all the guests????

My kids took classes outside of our town and although they became friendly with the kids in their classes, they never saw each other outside of the class. Why would she invite these other kids if they have no relationship outside of class.

• Love 1

This right here is one of the many reasons why I would never do a reality show and I sure as hell wouldn't allow my kids to do one. 

My daughter was asked to audition for two reality shows (she has done some acting).  I said absolutely not.  People go on the internet for scripted shows and they talk about the characters.  With reality shows, they're talking about real people.  I didn't want her exposed to that.  (One of the shows got made, one didn't.)

Of course it is best if they have a diverse group of friends.  As the parent of a child with a disability, I found it quite useful to be in contact with other parents in the same situation.  The support I have gotten is invaluable.  It would also be good for Will and Zoey to have contact with other little people their age.  Their typical friends are simply not able to relate the same way, and the differences will only increase as they age.  Bill and Jen can teach them coping skills of course, but in a short time the kids are going to be more interested in hearing how other kids deal with teasing and other issues specific to their size.  Some involvement with LPA or a similar organization certainly wouldn't hurt.

• Love 3

I remember seeing views of their house when they first bought it. It was absolutely huge inside and I wondered if they would have trouble navigating the large expanses of living room, dining room, etc. I think they may have opened up some of the walls so there aren't separate rooms, but it looked so cramped with their guests inside. They should have been able to accommodate their guests comfortably inside with so much space. (Did they bring them into the main "living floor" or the lowest level that they lived in while the house was being renovated?)

They hired a lifeguard for the pool but they probably should have had one for the kids' floor too - again, too many kids in a small space. And it was really unsafe with so many boys climbing on the bunk bed. Jen and Bill talked about going upstairs but I wonder if there wasn't an adult there with them, too? I remember thinking that the house was so big that the parents wouldn't be able to know where the children were or what they were doing. This kind of proved my point. In an emergency it would take quite a while to even get to that floor.

I wondered about the "backyard" too. There's the pool and the deck around it but is there a lawn with grass, too? Again, it seemed pretty small, but maybe that was just the camera angle.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, camom said:

As the parent of a child with a disability, I found it quite useful to be in contact with other parents in the same situation.  The support I have gotten is invaluable.

I'm sure that's true and I'm glad you got a lot of support.

But Bill and Jen are Little People and have actually lived that life since birth. It's unlikely, especially with their wealth and Jen's background, that there is anything they haven't already personally encountered or have access to.   They may have decided, due to their own experiences, to mainstream their kids as the best course.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, readheaded said:

Bill had a similar experience a few seasons back when they went to Maine? (it may have been somewhere else in New England) to visit his old friend.  Her young son was curious about Bill’s stature and asked him questions about it.  

I think I remember that. By the way, where I said the girl in the dance recital couldn’t understand how someone close to her size could be Zoey’s age, I think that should’ve said the girl didn’t understand how someone old enough to be Zoey’s mom (Jen) was (close to) the same size as Zoey & most/all of the girls in the recital.

• Love 1

I know hindsight's 20/20 but I have to wonder why it didn't occur to Jen to make sure that ALL the food stations were inside even with the pool and everyone chancing on eating outside at the mercy of Florida's notoriously iffy weather. MUCH easier to move chairs and plates than hot pots,etc. Well, at least they somehow were able to squeeze those 50+ folks into their home.

Oh, and lobster& shrimp for 50?! I think they may have blown more bucks on that than some country clubs have done! 

Yeah, how was it that Will had access to that passport and why was he allowed to treat it like a toy ? Would it have killed the camera person to have taken it out of his hand and taken it to Bill or Jen? And whose passport was this anyway?

Well, I guess they had their fun and everyone at the party enjoyed themselves (but I wound up feeling sorry for Jen's mother Judy getting bossed around so much by her own daughter like that)!

• Love 2

I think they invited way too many people at one time to have a real party. This seemed to be chaotic to me. Those parents were very uncomfortable there. Two separate parties,, one for the adults and one for the kids would have been more appropriate. Hard to be good hosts when there's so many people to interact with. Many, I'm sure, were overlooked.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, camom said:

My daughter was asked to audition for two reality shows (she has done some acting).  I said absolutely not.  People go on the internet for scripted shows and they talk about the characters.  With reality shows, they're talking about real people.  I didn't want her exposed to that.  (One of the shows got made, one didn't.)

Of course it is best if they have a diverse group of friends.  As the parent of a child with a disability, I found it quite useful to be in contact with other parents in the same situation.  The support I have gotten is invaluable.  It would also be good for Will and Zoey to have contact with other little people their age.  Their typical friends are simply not able to relate the same way, and the differences will only increase as they age.  Bill and Jen can teach them coping skills of course, but in a short time the kids are going to be more interested in hearing how other kids deal with teasing and other issues specific to their size.  Some involvement with LPA or a similar organization certainly wouldn't hurt.

I've had a similar experience getting a ton of support from other parents.  I've offered various opportunities for my sons to be with kids with other kids with their disability and they're completely uninterested. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, floridamom said:

I think they invited way too many people at one time to have a real party. This seemed to be chaotic to me. Those parents were very uncomfortable there. Two separate parties,, one for the adults and one for the kids would have been more appropriate. Hard to be good hosts when there's so many people to interact with. Many, I'm sure, were overlooked.

For such a large house, the backyard is really tiny. As Blergh noted, it would've been smarter to set the food up in the kitchen and have an indoor/outdoor event. It would've provided more space to spread out and the adults could've escaped the chaos of all the kids yelling and splashing around in the pool. Even Bill's stepmom looked cranky, and she's usually always on her A-game for the cameras.

• Love 5

I agree the show has run its course. I can’t stand the trips, theme parks, kids parties etc. I’d much rather watch their hectic day-to-day lives with an extravagant trip thrown in once in a while. 

I don’t feel the lobster was over the top. We have a huge bbq for family, work and social friends every summer. We usually have lobster, steak, shrimp and king crab with chicken, hot dogs and burgers for the kids. We always make sure everyone has a place to sit at a table so no one is eating off their lap. It costs a pretty penny but we both write off a nice chunk of it as a business expense. I was shocked they hadn’t hired anyone to cook, serve and clean up although there’s always the production crew lol. Cooking, tending bar and catering to 50 guests is a lot and I would never impose on family to help. They’re guests not servants.  Not having a plan for rain was just ridiculous!

How are the public schools in that area? My experience (and my mom teaching in them for 46 yrs) has been that Catholic schools were behind in curriculum as compared to public schools. I attended Catholic sch K-8 and it took me a few months of cramming to catch up when I entered public high school. My friends who went on to the ritzy Catholic academy HS had a tough time getting into private  universities. They’re absolutely fine for a good basic education but a kid like Zoey will get zero enrichment. She’ll be bored to death.  Maybe they’ve changed for the better in recent years?

Zoey definitely has Bill snookered but I think  that’s true of most dads and daughters. Will seems far more wild and immature than Zoey. There’s something about Will’s behavior that just screams out of control to me. I have a feeling he’s pretty sneaky when they’re not looking.  I don’t see anything wrong with wealthy parents providing their kids with lots of opportunities provided that’s balanced with good a sense of community service. 

As far as their affiliation with the LP community, it seems to me from watching these shows that the kids need to have friends with similar disabilities, especially as they get older. It must be so tough for LP teens when they enter the dating years.  I hope they hold on to their ties to those organizations for the childrens’ sakes. 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, nytonc said:

They’re absolutely fine for a good basic education but a kid like Zoey will get zero enrichment. She’ll be bored to death.  Maybe they’ve changed for the better in recent years?

Zoey is at least two years behind her actual age developmentally.  She isn't ready for much enrichment in school while she has loads of work to do on the basics.  While in public school she'd be with same age peers, she'd also be in one or more special education programs. She's turning 8 this month and is in first grade.   In the recent episodes, she's acting and talking like a four year old or a less mature five year old.  She'll have more than enough to occupy her mind in Catholic first grade and I doubt is anywhere near the top of her class.   Our local elementary school has several kids entering first grade reading on a second grade reading level every year and usually one or two reading third grade level.  Zoey is nowhere near ready to keep up with that.  

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, nytonc said:

My experience (and my mom teaching in them for 46 yrs) has been that Catholic schools were behind in curriculum as compared to public schools. I attended Catholic sch K-8 and it took me a few months of cramming to catch up when I entered public high school. 

My experience was the exact opposite. I got a very advanced education in Catholic grade school so much so that when I entered public high school I was light years ahead in most classes, relearning things I had learned as early as 5th grade.

• Love 5

It came across to me that Jen and Bill just wanted an opportunity to brag when they had the party. They didn't seem to care about their guests comfort at all. It was as if they were saying look at our wonderful food and decorations. We really don't care if you can eat it or enjoy it. We will have lobster, but not a logical place to eat it. We will have our family, but work them to death in the heat. We will have the party outdoors when there's a 90% chance that it will rain. Then everyone can come in the house and sit there and listen to our stupid speech. I think that they were horrible, horrible hosts.

Edited by Libby
  • Useful 3
  • Love 8

So true about Bill’s stepmom!  LOL. She did look a bit cranky like so many did who were “working” guests at that poor excuse for a party.  Epic fail!  Money doesn’t always equal class.  Nothing was practical about it.

I freaked when I saw all the kids on the top bunk bed and no adult supervision to be seen anywhere.  

It takes me almost a week to watch the shows now, so done with them.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 7

I am kinda over this family. I personally think the kids are spoiled, always asking for toys and I agree with other posters that they are behind in maturity from other kids their age. The one thing that really bugged me was when it was Will's birthday sleep under - they should have keep Zoe out of the downstairs - it was a boys party and more specifically Wills party that his friends were invited. They should have had her upstairs watching a movie or something.  I don't get much of a connection vibe with Jen and the kids, could it be because she works long hours - perhaps. Something is off - even the kids seem to turn away from her when she asks them stuff - is it because she is the disciplinary ?  

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Absolom said:

Our local elementary school has several kids entering first grade reading on a second grade reading level every year and usually one or two reading third grade level.  Zoey is nowhere near ready to keep up with that.  

On that basis wouldn't some sort of private tutoring be desirable? 

I'm sure Jen is on top of their educational progress and she and Bill will provide all the additional help the kids would benefit the most from receiving. 

As the kids get older and approach that "middle school" (adolescent) stage with hormone "eruptions" it seems likely Jen and Bill will make sure each is as well adjusted as possible so each is less likely to fall prey to certain "acting out" behaviors that might occur should either feel like he/she doesn't "fit in" or can't compete with their peers educationally.

• Love 2