Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E08: Who's Got the Magic

ElectricBoogaloo
Message added by Drogo

NO SPOILERS IN THIS TOPIC.  Click here to read the rules before posting.

• Start Topic

On 9/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, rhofmovalley said:

Those are veneers.

The pic someone posted in the Spoilers thread showed Victoria a few years ago with her natural teeth.  They were not the size of gravestones and, although they weren't perfectly straight, suited her much better.

I think she needs to get the ginormous veneers she has on now removed and smaller, more realistic ones put in.  I'm sure Daddy can afford it.

Victoria's teeth aren't real?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Why would anyone voluntarily give themselves that look? Yikes!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Matilda said:

I'm a long-time casual fan of the show (but lifelong Cowboys football fan tho - how bout them pokes?!). Anyway, one thing that is clear is that there are a number of women on the team who are GREAT dancers, but their faces are meh at best (despite all the dye, makeup, and lashes which sometimes just makes them look worse). In order to make up for those women, K&J (K in particular) hangs on to recruiting the truly beautiful women who aren't the best dancers. Also, with regard to Kat - TBH - the team is looking AWFULLY white this year. They can say all they want about how DCC is a meritocracy (cough, cough, Victoria aside), but you can't have an almost all white cheerleader squad for the NFL. It looks weird, and frankly, it's wrong. It's not like there aren't talented African-American dancers in this world... Maybe if DCC paid more and treated people better they would have a more diverse candidate pool. 

Totally.  Kat would be gone if she was white.  They need her because they are lacking in diversity.  They could also recruit a bit differently and get some of the diversity they obviously need.

I don't understand why they insist on all the dancers having the exact same look.  I was kind of excited when they almost gave one of the girls pigtails (but it was a joke) because it was different.  Why can't they have girls with their hair in a high ponytail or even half up and half down.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, vivianspoetry said:

Victoria's teeth aren't real?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

"If" she has veneers, and I don't think it has been confirmed by a dental expert, those are still her real teeth.  Veneers are paper thin pieces of porcelain that fit over the regular tooth.  They hide imperfections, etc.  It is considered quite permanent.  

I don't think her teeth look substantially worse than some of the other girls.  I'm not savvy enough to cut/past and  put all of the "teeth" up in a post to guess whose teeth go to which TCC.  But it might be revealing for sure.

I wish I had gotten braces when I was younger.  I'd never do veneers probably because I'm just chicken.  

VK has many qualities that fit being a DCC and that is what they are looking for in the end.  Dance sometimes has little to do with it, as Kelli said in one of the earlier years I saw on Pluto recently.

I always root for the underdog and hope VK (and Brennan and Christina) do well.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Agent Gully said:
5 hours ago, Teriyaki Terror said:

I will never stop fighting (on the internet) for Christina.

Hurray, I am not alone!

LOL I feel like this could be an SAT thing...ByTor is to Brennan as Agent Gully/Teriyaki Terror is to Christina 🙂 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, meatball77 said:

Totally.  Kat would be gone if she was white.  They need her because they are lacking in diversity.  They could also recruit a bit differently and get some of the diversity they obviously need.

I don't understand why they insist on all the dancers having the exact same look.  I was kind of excited when they almost gave one of the girls pigtails (but it was a joke) because it was different.  Why can't they have girls with their hair in a high ponytail or even half up and half down.

Well, not if she was white, with pretty eyes, brown hair, and named Meredith lol.  She’s every bit as bad, and I think worse. I get the point tho. In terms of AA girls, they’re at a really low point, and Kat at least checks that box and is beautiful to boot.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I wish I had gotten braces when I was younger.  I'd never do veneers probably because I'm just chicken.  

There are places like "Smile Direct" and a couple of others who do nearly invisible liners for you to fix your teeth in about six months. I had braces in high school with a good result, but since that was decades ago there has been some shifting I didn't like. So I did smile direct. And now my teeth look better than ever...and I'm way past "younger"

• Love 2

Again with the iTunes lag on putting up this episode grrrrrr

or is it just me?

(I’m in Australia. My US iTunes account is my only ” solid “ watching option unless someone has a current link)

Edited by Pinknblue
1 hour ago, Pinknblue said:

Again with the iTunes lag on putting up this episode grrrrrr

or is it just me?

(I’m in Australia. My US iTunes account is my only ” solid “ watching option unless someone has a current link)

Not just you.  I'm US-based and I'm STILL waiting on iTunes to get their act together in putting the episode up.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 2
On 9/22/2019 at 7:19 PM, Matilda said:

I'm a long-time casual fan of the show (but lifelong Cowboys football fan tho - how bout them pokes?!). Anyway, one thing that is clear is that there are a number of women on the team who are GREAT dancers, but their faces are meh at best (despite all the dye, makeup, and lashes which sometimes just makes them look worse). In order to make up for those women, K&J (K in particular) hangs on to recruiting the truly beautiful women who aren't the best dancers. Also, with regard to Kat - TBH - the team is looking AWFULLY white this year. They can say all they want about how DCC is a meritocracy (cough, cough, Victoria aside), but you can't have an almost all white cheerleader squad for the NFL. It looks weird, and frankly, it's wrong. It's not like there aren't talented African-American dancers in this world... Maybe if DCC paid more and treated people better they would have a more diverse candidate pool. 

I mentioned other reasons in a different post but I think less girls are auditioning in general. Black people are 13% of the US pop. If less women want to join DCC then it will make the pool of Black women (if it's auditioners are proportional to population) way smaller, almost non existent. 

Overall I think the cameras has caused a thinner pool of contestants that even audition for DCC:

1. The overweight/unsuitable dancers that used to try out for kicks 10 years don't want to be embarrassed on national TV

2. The really good dancers don't want to sign over control of their likeness (images etc) away for TV and miss out on better dance opportunities.

DCC is not the dance status symbol for certain kinds of dancers that it once was because IMO I think people feel like fame is quicker to access now. It seems like fame is only a YouTube video or instagram post away. The pretty dancers can now try out for SYTYCD, or AGT. Other non-dance reality TV shows are even an option. Pageant girls are now signing up for the Bachelor instead of fighting for world peace and Ex-DCC's Melissa Rycroft and Jasmine were on the Bachelor and BIP. 

Why put up with Kelly when if they are pretty enough and/or talented enough, they can do vlogs and tutorials and wait for some casting agent or enough instagram followers to pay them a liveable wage? 

Edited by kerrieway
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

Not just you.  I'm US-based and I'm STILL waiting on iTunes to get their act together in putting the episode up.

I watch via iTunes, and I was only just able to download the episode a couple of hours ago.  

I find it interesting - and by "interesting", I mean problematic - that Madeline S., Meredith and Lily are all in the same group, especially given the comments in this episode about how they don't seem to dance the same way.  Is this a failure on Tess's and Gina's part?  Aren't they supposed to be mentoring the rookies?  Or is this a success because these three women are still hanging on?

• Love 2

I've wondered that. I know that they rebalance the groups once all the cuts have been made, but is it a reflection on the group leaders if more than average cut girls are in their group? Or are Kelli and Judy trying to get the strugglers "pulled up" by putting them in a group with a strong dancer/leader like Gina?

• Love 1

Gina's a strong dancer, but I don't know whether she is a good teacher.  We don't really see that side of her much.  I'd guess Amy (for example) is a good teacher, because isn't she a dance teacher in the rest of her life?  But I don't know about Tess or Gina and whether they can explain how the rookies can improve.

10 minutes ago, Allison Lynn said:

Gina's a strong dancer, but I don't know whether she is a good teacher.  We don't really see that side of her much.  I'd guess Amy (for example) is a good teacher, because isn't she a dance teacher in the rest of her life?  But I don't know about Tess or Gina and whether they can explain how the rookies can improve.

Yes, Amy is a dance teacher and she even taught a DCC football player some moves and I loved the way she explained things and broke it down.  I don't think she has a ton of power or sex appeal, so I think she would be a good group leader for most except the dancer that had all the steps but needed more "style" touches.  In that case Gina would probably be great even if she wasn't the strongest teacher, because you watch what is modeled.  But who knows how they put the groups together.  Seems to me all the strugglers are in that group.

Edited by Mardo2044
10 hours ago, kerrieway said:

What;s Cassiegate? 

Judy's daughter Cassie was a DCC for 5 years, and it is pretty obvious she got in because of who her Mom is. She NEVER would have gotten in with her looks and dance ability alone. Flame away.....

• Love 3
On 9/22/2019 at 10:19 AM, woodscommaelle said:

He reminded me of Sparky Polastri.

1E7F8ECC-8D86-4A6F-B082-6268D137709E.jpeg

I’m watching again and Meredith said that he was so calm and relaxing when he came into the room. Lol! Girl is on a different speed. Like a 33 record playing on a 45 speed.  Or maybe the opposite 🤷🏻‍♀️😉.

I will also never get over how good their memory is. No way ever could I remember a dance. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, flightlevel said:

You’re not. I like Christina too 🙂

SO DO I!!! I have always been a fan of hers. 🙂

On 9/22/2019 at 12:19 PM, woodscommaelle said:

He reminded me of Sparky Polastri.

1E7F8ECC-8D86-4A6F-B082-6268D137709E.jpeg

OMG, this is amazing!!! 😆😆😆👏

• Love 4
On 9/24/2019 at 12:43 PM, EricaShadows said:

I live in NZ and watch on cmt.com. I sign up for the free 24 hour pass and then clear my cookies and use a different email address each time. Free and episodes are up next morning!

15 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

No way ever could I remember a dance.

I could remember the 50 dances they learn if I only had to dance to them to one song. The way I learn is half muscle memory and half music memory. I could not do the same moves to different songs like they do. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, YellowRose said:

I like Christina too!

Everyone needs a champion (per Dr. Phil and others).  So I am a champion for Christina, Brennan and Victoria.  Probably my age has a lot to do with it.  I sure would need someone to be my champion were I in any of their positions.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
Just now, parrotfeathers said:

Everyone needs a champion (per Dr. Phil and others).  So I am a champion for Christina, Brennan and Victoria.  Probably my age has a lot to do with it.  I sure would need someone to be my champion were I in any of their positions.

Absolutely Agree. I am a champion of all of the above that you mentioned- plus Jaylyn, Meredith, Savannah, and Kat. 

• Love 3
On 9/21/2019 at 9:39 PM, Kate2006 said:

Lol! I’m watching the episode now and I had the exact same thought about Christina’s breast aug about 30 sec before I saw your comment. And I also thought how they look just like Kalissa’s breasts, 2 big pasted on balloons. It’s that fake boob look that was popular about 15 years ago and I guess some cosmetic surgeons are still doing them for whatever reason. I never understood why anyone would want an aug that looks like that.

Btw, how do these well endowed women fit them into those practice tops without bouncing around excessively? It doesn’t look like they have much support! 

I wondered about that too. When they have the uniform fittings, Kelli keeps saying "we don't need flotation devices." But when they're in the practice outfits, especially this year's outfits which I think are cuter for not having their cleavage hanging out, they all look fairly flat chested to me. I know what it's like to try to get big ones to fit in any top and mine, which are real, never flatten out like that. They may hang down to my waist, but... TMI? 😂 Do those practice tops have some super-duper restraining devices? And, if so, where can I get one? 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Everyone needs a champion (per Dr. Phil and others). 

Everyone needs a champion (per Dr. Phil and others). 

I like that.. find a champion .. in all areas...👏👏

As far as DCC , for now (ie I reserve the right to change) its Ashlee (1 yr vet from Louisiana), who for some reason is hiding from the cameras,  and Lisa. Both were told no (in different personal categories/challenges) but kept pushing

• Love 1
9 hours ago, YellowRose said:

Absolutely Agree. I am a champion of all of the above that you mentioned- plus Jaylyn, Meredith, Savannah, and Kat. 

I'm a fan of Christina's and Brennan's perseverance in making the team, and of Kat's and Savannah's personalities.  Of those you mention, I think Jalyn is the strongest dancer.  I do worry that Christina, in particular, is not improving as much as a dancer as I would like.  I felt that way about Yuko, too - that she was consistently one of the weakest dancers.  I guess someone has to be, but it would be better if it weren't noticeable.

• Love 2

I think part of it is age as far as it goes with Christina  Late 20s/early 30s is damn young, but in dancer age, it's close to being geriatric. Kristin Hager in S#2/#3 admitted as much when she re-auditioned, and I think she was 27 then.

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Allison Lynn said:

I'm a fan of Christina's and Brennan's perseverance in making the team, and of Kat's and Savannah's personalities.  Of those you mention, I think Jalyn is the strongest dancer.  I do worry that Christina, in particular, is not improving as much as a dancer as I would like.  I felt that way about Yuko, too - that she was consistently one of the weakest dancers.  I guess someone has to be, but it would be better if it weren't noticeable.

I agree with all of this. I think this will be Christina's last year. I think she'll retire. Some called her desperate in her quest to be a DCC, I called it persistence. 

20 hours ago, SSAHotchner said:

I wondered about that too. When they have the uniform fittings, Kelli keeps saying "we don't need flotation devices." But when they're in the practice outfits, especially this year's outfits which I think are cuter for not having their cleavage hanging out, they all look fairly flat chested to me. I know what it's like to try to get big ones to fit in any top and mine, which are real, never flatten out like that. They may hang down to my waist, but... TMI? 😂 Do those practice tops have some super-duper restraining devices? And, if so, where can I get one? 

I think most of them are A or B cups. The only ones that come to mind who were larger in the bra were Amy Simone, Kali, and Holly P. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Teriyaki Terror said:

I think most of them are A or B cups. The only ones that come to mind who were larger in the bra were Amy Simone, Kali, and Holly P. 

I knew a ballet dancer/dance teacher/performer once who was extremely FLAT chested.  For some reason I'll always remember her for that.

Edited by VirgoDCCFan
spelling
17 hours ago, Teriyaki Terror said:

I agree with all of this. I think this will be Christina's last year. I think she'll retire. Some called her desperate in her quest to be a DCC, I called it persistence. 

Jinelle was DD.  She told Kelli that when Kelli asked what her bra size was 🙂 I'd venture to say most of them are B/C cups (especially since so many of them have obviously fake boobs).  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kayce said:

Jinelle was DD.  She told Kelli that when Kelli asked what her bra size was 🙂 I'd venture to say most of them are B/C cups (especially since so many of them have obviously fake boobs).  

I forgot about Jinelle. She was always my favorite because like her, I am too skinny with almost a D cup. Everyone always likes to ask if they're God given or bought. Ummm I'm too poor to buy boobs. 

• LOL 5
37 minutes ago, Teriyaki Terror said:

I forgot about Jinelle. She was always my favorite because like her, I am too skinny with almost a D cup. Everyone always likes to ask if they're God given or bought. Ummm I'm too poor to buy boobs. 

You just made me snort!!! 😉 Jinelle was one of my faves too 🙂 

Edited by Kayce
2 hours ago, Kayce said:

I remember Kelli saying to Jinelle (after revealing her bra size) "Me too".

So am I!

• Love 1

Me too. Welcome to the club! Lol I'm relatively thin with a D cup. Although I've only been asked a few times if I've had work done. 

• Love 1

IDK who this Tyce person is, but he seemed like a bad actor playing an exaggerated version of a Broadway dancer/choreographer.  He was just so ON all the time, while somehow seeming not all there.

Late to the comments party  - I didn't know who Tyce was either but he and his "sidekick" seemed like they were playing parts and playing them badly.  He looked like he just walked off of the set of "Welcome Back Kotter" or was Larry's little brother on "Three's Company" (sorry for the throwback references but he had some kind of 70's vibe to me!).  The sidekick was like the superior dancer/choreographer in a bad 90's teen movie who was super mean to the struggling, trying to make it dancer, lead of the show.  These people can't seriously be real, right?!!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

Late to the comments party  - I didn't know who Tyce was either but he and his "sidekick" seemed like they were playing parts and playing them badly.  He looked like he just walked off of the set of "Welcome Back Kotter" or was Larry's little brother on "Three's Company" (sorry for the throwback references but he had some kind of 70's vibe to me!).  The sidekick was like the superior dancer/choreographer in a bad 90's teen movie who was super mean to the struggling, trying to make it dancer, lead of the show.  These people can't seriously be real, right?!!

Love those comments because I can't stand the guest choreographer segments. 🙂

• Love 2