Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

peeayebee
  • Start Topic

Ugh, I can't believe nobody said Humpty Dumpty looked FRIED. I thought that was the obvious answer to a question about an EGG being hung over/drunk/stoned. I can't believe nobody said "Dirty Harry" either. I guess that speaks to my age. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, snarkylady said:

Sarah Chalke was better than I expected. 

Old bag of marbles? Nah she wasn't bad but that answer was world class bad. She just missed the whole point of the set up. Focusing on the dollar store aspects and not things doctors use.

I went with dirty dancing, Harry and then Diana for some reason even though no one wants to name check Michael Jackson songs right now.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, snarkylady said:

Sarah Chalke was better than I expected. 

I thought this group of 6 was very entertaining. Chris Parnell is the kind of guy who could be a fixture on a show like this. Whitney Cummings was really into it. Rob Riggle also into it, and very sharp.  

"It's a DAYCARE CENTER..." or whatever the exact words he used to scold that contestant was cracking me up, because "Play Date" was the perfect answer. Even I came up with that one.

• Love 1
On 6/19/2019 at 9:27 PM, ams1001 said:

Dirty Dancing was my first thought and it took me several seconds to even come up with a second...how did none of them come up with that?!

I missed Dirty Dancing and had dirty dishes in my head.  Probably representative of my kitchen last night. 

21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ugh, I can't believe nobody said Humpty Dumpty looked FRIED. I thought that was the obvious answer to a question about an EGG being hung over/drunk/stoned.

I came up with smashed and was surprised nobody else came up with it.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

"It's a DAYCARE CENTER..." or whatever the exact words he used to scold that contestant was cracking me up, because "Play Date" was the perfect answer. Even I came up with that one.

My first thought was "taking a nap together" but yeah, "play date" was the definitive answer.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

My first thought was "taking a nap together" but yeah, "play date" was the definitive answer.

Oh, that's really cute! I would have been prouder of that than play date had I thought of it.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:27 PM, ams1001 said:

Dirty Dancing was my first thought and it took me several seconds to even come up with a second...how did none of them come up with that?!

I actually thought that was kind of an unfair clue because there were so many possible answers, it would be hard to narrow down the top three.  My first thought was also Dancing, but then I kept second-guessing myself... joke, words, deeds, talk, dishes,tricks... probably more that I'm forgetting now...

• Love 3
On 6/19/2019 at 7:27 PM, ams1001 said:

In order, I came up with Harry, dishes, and old man. Like SoMuchTV said, there are so many possibilities.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:19 AM, iMonrey said:

Ugh, I can't believe nobody said Humpty Dumpty looked FRIED. I thought that was the obvious answer to a question about an EGG being hung over/drunk/stoned.

I said fried, though then I was thinking that is used more for when someone is overworked/stressed out/tired. But I probably would stay with that answer. I also thought scrambled and poached.

22 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Old bag of marbles? Nah she wasn't bad but that answer was world class bad. She just missed the whole point of the set up. Focusing on the dollar store aspects and not things doctors use.

If anything, 'bag of marbles' was a great running joke. And although I think the gist of the question was to have the insurance be so cheap that the doctor would reuse a one-use object -- I said tongue depressor -- I absolutely LOVED Rob Riggle's answer of giant foam finger.

Riggle was my favorite player. He was funny and sharp. I hope he comes back this season.

For the question about the old person having phone sex, at first I thought telegraph, but then I went with cans and a string.

For the dinner-in-a-dumpster question, rat didn't even occur to me, though it's THE answer. Instead, I was torn betw raccoon and possum. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

If anything, 'bag of marbles' was a great running joke. And although I think the gist of the question was to have the insurance be so cheap that the doctor would reuse a one-use object -- I said tongue depressor -- I absolutely LOVED Rob Riggle's answer of giant foam finger. 

Yeah, really - it seems like "bag of marbles" and "giant foam finger" were both equally good/bad answers.  Both things you would go to if you were focusing on the "dollar store", not the "healthcare" aspect of the question.  Though I did enjoy how bag of marbles became a running joke.

• Love 1
On 6/21/2019 at 5:04 PM, peeayebee said:

For the dinner-in-a-dumpster question, rat didn't even occur to me, though it's THE answer. Instead, I was torn betw raccoon and possum. 

I would have gone with rat, had I been there, but I also thought Nicholas Coolridge, which only American Ninja Warrior fans would get. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

For Humpty Dumpty, I said he was scrambled, and then fried.  I was surprised there were so many non-egg answers.  Virtually any different cooked egg variety would have worked.  Well maybe not poached.

I have no idea what was going on in my head but instead of going Gene Simmons for the rock star tongue question I thought Mick Jagger. Never thought about queen until they said it.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:49 AM, Racj82 said:

I have no idea what was going on in my head but instead of going Gene Simmons for the rock star tongue question I thought Mick Jagger. Never thought about queen until they said it.

Me, too! All I could think of was the tour shirt with the big tongue.2012939623_stonestongue.jpg.fcb25b0db98097757bc713bb47e72711.jpg

• Love 2

Me again! I was watching an old Match Game from the mid-70s the other night and for the first time(at least in my memory) there was a fill-in-the-blank answer that was completely different for then and now. The answer was ________gram. Back then the answer was Tele gram. Today I think it would be Insta Gram. I am sure there are many more examples but that one so obviously different. My granddaughter even asked what a telegram was!

• Love 1

I also said Mick Jagger. I'm glad I'm alone. I think I confused his lips with Gene Simmons' tongue.

I didn't do all that well with this ep. I did match one or two celebs with my answer of cane for the old Cirque de Solei question. And I think the only other one I had a match with was neutered, but that was way too easy.

I thought the answer of kitchen knife, or just knife, was bad, though a few celebs said it. I considered blender, but went with cleaver. Yes, it's a kind of knife, but very specific and impractical to carry around. I thought frying pan was a good answer.

Oh, and for the question that was about All I Do Is Baldwin, I said modest. I thought that was pretty good. (patting my own back)

2 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Me again! I was watching an old Match Game from the mid-70s the other night and for the first time(at least in my memory) there was a fill-in-the-blank answer that was completely different for then and now. The answer was ________gram. Back then the answer was Tele gram. Today I think it would be Insta Gram. I am sure there are many more examples but that one so obviously different. My granddaughter even asked what a telegram was!

Oh, there are lots of them. I started watching the 70s reruns when BUZZR came to Over-The-Air tv a year or more ago. I'm now very adept at guessing a 70s-appropriate answer. But, coincidentally, there was recently something like "Harold was so old, instead of a telephone, he used a blank," and I could not think of the "definitive answer" of "telegram." All I could think of was Dixie cups—which I knew was wrong.

I can't think of any more right now, but I was startled the other day to hear Gene Rayburn make reference to "a gay old time" with no pun intended or interpretted, even though Charles Nelson Riley frequently made allusions to his own non-traditional gender identity.

• Love 1

This show gives me the giggles. Alec Baldwin is an excellent host. His side eye to the camera when the contestant picked Wayne Newton as one of the 3 to give suggestions was hilarious. And Caroline Rhea and Mario Cantone keep the laughs going. I’m glad they resurrected this show. 

• Love 4

Well, you wanted something like "rain" or at least something that rhymed like "pain." My own answer would have been "shitstorm" but I wouldn't have been able to say it on TV.

I also thought the definitive answer to the "smart looking suit" wold have been "smarties," but I guess I'm showing my age. "Smart phone" didn't even occur to me.

I think they went to Madame Tussauds and borrowed the wax figure of Wayne Newton.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I'm showing my age, too.  I never thought of smartphone either.  I could only come up with diplomas for the smart suit.  Wayne Newton WAS ghastly-looking, wasn't he?  Why in the world do people do that to themselves - do they really think they're fooling us into thinking they are younger than they are?  (Dolly Parton is another one who has ruined her face by turning it into a weird mask.)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, bigmag said:

I'm showing my age, too.  I never thought of smartphone either.  I could only come up with diplomas for the smart suit.  Wayne Newton WAS ghastly-looking, wasn't he?  Why in the world do people do that to themselves - do they really think they're fooling us into thinking they are younger than they are?  (Dolly Parton is another one who has ruined her face by turning it into a weird mask.)

I honestly think they are preparing for the next It movie. You don't need a horror movie when you have people looking like wax figures. No makeup required. Scare tactic achieved.

13 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

Why did everyone react like "Orange Skin" was a bad answer for the "Purple Rain" question? That seemed like a fine answer to me. 

I think rhyming with rain would have been good, like pain. But I was thinking along the lines of something liquid, like rain, so I said slime. Anyway, orange skin was just a blah answer, imo.

For the smart suit, a smart phone didn't occur to me either. Even though a couple of the celebs said that, I still don't think it's a good answer. (So there.) I was torn betw diplomas and eyeglasses. I went with diplomas.

I'm glad that when that last contestant went on her own with [hot] dog, she got it right. Funny that none of the celebs gave any matching answer. Mine was coffee, though I did consider mama.

I never thought of loud and clear. Duh. My answer was nice and clear. 

I wasn't actually too fond of Cher until she made that remark about the celebs doing nothing for her, or whatever she said. That was great.

A couple of weeks ago I linked an interview with Alec Baldwin where he said that someone had changed his/her answer on the card. He said they stopped tape and had to redo it. I guess it wasn't Wayne Newton he was talking about, but I thought he added 'sauce' to his  'spaghetti' answer. I also think he wrote 'tooth fairy' on his card after the contestant said it. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

Why did everyone react like "Orange Skin" was a bad answer for the "Purple Rain" question? That seemed like a fine answer to me. 

I think it's because Skin doesn't have much meaning.  Since they were looking for a movie title, something with a little more punch was required.

9 hours ago, Blissfool said:

i had NO IDEA what the answer would be for "_____ and clear." Although when mario said "loud," it made sense.

Free and clear was the only answer I could think of.  She didn't give great answers in general but I did love how she called out the panel for letting her down with "dog."

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

A couple of weeks ago I linked an interview with Alec Baldwin where he said that someone had changed his/her answer on the card. He said they stopped tape and had to redo it. I guess it wasn't Wayne Newton he was talking about, but I thought he added 'sauce' to his  'spaghetti' answer. I also think he wrote 'tooth fairy' on his card after the contestant said it. 

Why did I get this impression also? I joked about it with my family. "Wayne's so out of it, he's probably writing the answers after the contestant answers. Hardy-har-har!"

1 hour ago, suebee12 said:
12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

i was thinking Orange Reign.

I love that answer

Yes, but could enough (2 or more) players on the show have spelled "reign" correctly and/or known the meaning to match?

(edited)
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, but could enough (2 or more) players on the show have spelled "reign" correctly and/or known the meaning to match?

I think Hasan Minhaj and Caroline Rhea could have but probably not that quickly! I am certain Wayne Newton could not have........

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, suebee12 said:
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think Hasan Minhaj and Caroline Rhea could have but probably not that quickly! I am certain Wayne Newton could not have......

Or either of the contestants?

Or any of the contestants ever?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think it's because Skin doesn't have much meaning.  Since they were looking for a movie title, something with a little more punch was required.

Yeah, it wasn't particularly funny, but it was accurate. I too was trying to think of something weather-related but couldn't come up with anything that made sense. I guess I can see "pain" because of the rhyming factor. I also thought of "diplomas" for the smart suit question but that was a pretty odd question.

Edited by Phishbulb
12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Why did I get this impression also? I joked about it with my family. "Wayne's so out of it, he's probably writing the answers after the contestant answers. Hardy-har-har!"

Also, at one point Alex told Wayne to show the card in the slot, not the blank one -- or "blank" one -- on his tabletop.

• Love 2
(edited)

Free and clear was the only answer I could think of. 

Same here. I was really drawing a blank on that one until Mario said "loud." 

I felt for the winner in the first half because there were two equally definitive answers to "Tug:" either "of war" or "boat." I would have been torn and it was just a coin flip which one he'd go with.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3

I notice that the remaining 2 episodes of Match Game airing in July are part of this same group of shows that have been airing (Season 4), but starting with the August 7th episode it appears to be a new "season" of shows (production code 508). 

I did notice in the most recent episode that Alec made reference to it being 2018, so apparently the ones they've been airing have been in the can for quite a while. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I did love how she called out the panel for letting her down with "dog."

That made me laugh long and hard. It was the Best Burn Ever.

For HOT ______, I said "TAMALE,' the second-place answer, which got a gigantic WTH? reaction from the panel like no one had ever heard of that before. I was glad "DOG" won. Made her burn even better.

I didn't think of LOUD AND CLEAR either, until Mario said it. It was the perfect answer, better than the only one I could come up with, FREE.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I felt for the winner in the first half because there were two equally definitive answers to "Tug:" either "of war" or "boat."

Ah, but how about Tug McGraw?  My first thought was Tug of war, followed quickly by McGraw!

I also thought of Hot Tamale!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Free and clear was the only answer I could think of.  

I thought Free and Clear first and then I thought that only came to me because it's the 'scent' of laundry detergent I get. I thought Loud then and figured it was more likely.

• LOL 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Ah, but how about Tug McGraw?  My first thought was Tug of war, followed quickly by McGraw! 

Obviously you are a baseball fan! I thought BOAT immediately, then OF WAR. And went back to BOAT for my final answer. Never gave Mr. McGraw a thought until I saw your post!

Edited by saber5055
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

Obviously you are a baseball fan!

That I am but I love  the song that Tim McGraw did about his father and I am not a country fan but love that song!

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

That I am but I love  the song that Tim McGraw did about his father and I am not a country fan but love that song!

That's right! Wasn't that song a Jeopardy clue recently, they showed a picture of Tim McGraw? It's good I have a short memory or I might have said MCGRAW to TUG blank myself!

• LOL 2
On 7/19/2019 at 3:48 PM, suebee12 said:

Ah, but how about Tug McGraw?  

Phillies fan here, so I loved Tug. Saw him pitch a bunch of times.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:17 PM, suebee12 said:

That I am but I love the song that Tim McGraw did about his father and I am not a country fan but love that song!

Tim spread some of Tug's ashes on the pitcher's mound at Citizens Bank Park.

Anyway, I said boat and eventually came up with loud.

Something tells me I would do better with a Match Game contest than I'm doing in the Jeopardy contest. Thoughts, saber.  ;-)

• LOL 1

I immediately went to "Loud and Clear" -- it helped that Faith on Buffy the Vampire Slayer kept saying "5 by 5", meaning that what she heard was 5 out of 5 in loudness and 5 out of 5 in clarity.  I didn't think of "Free and Clear" until it was said.

• Useful 1

I immediately thought "Free and Clear" because I use a variety of products with that description or even brand name, but then I quickly realized my first thought was probably not typical, but there wasn't enough time for me to think of something else. "Loud and Clear" seemed like a common choice when I saw/heard it.

• Love 2