Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

peeayebee
  • Start Topic

@saber5055 I immediately thought of In and Out! I remember the first time I ate at one but while the burgers are good, it was the fries that won me over!!! We ate in Hollywood but on the way back to my son's home in Bishop, we stopped in Lancaster so I could get another order of fries!!

Was I the only person uncomfortable during last night's show? I thought that they way beyond innuendo and were really close to "gross and dirty"...and maybe it is just me, but I cannot look at Bruce....oops, I mean Caitlyn  Jenner. I guess I am officially old.

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Was I the only person uncomfortable during last night's show?

This show always borders on gross. Or maybe better said, it aims its clues so people will give "suggestive" answers. Maybe that's what today's society wants, but I'd rather have funny and witty clues (and clean) answers. I dislike Family Feud for the same reason, plus FF makes up "so cute" euphemisms for everything that we were taught as kids should not be talked about. I don't think anything is funny about bathroom humor.

I got the feeling, and tried to see if it was justified, that Caitlyn Jenner wasn't all that popular on the panel. For some reason, I felt she was being ignored by the other players, but maybe that was my imagination. I was disappointed she was back since last time she was on she wasn't very good. But I thought the whole panel last night was pretty dry. I missed Mario, Carolyn, Jack and so many others who really are funny.

Although her comment about losing her wig was pretty good.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I immediately thought of "V" for the "It Ain't Nothin But a ___ Thing", then thought "Wait, is this too dirty of an answer for TV?" But that was clearly the ideal answer. 

Just as a side note as a male, that contestant was very cute I thought. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Phishbulb said:

I immediately thought of "V" for the "It Ain't Nothin But a ___ Thing", then thought "Wait, is this too dirty of an answer for TV?" But that was clearly the ideal answer.  

Just as a side note as a male, that contestant was very cute I thought.  

Actually, I thought of V for my answer too, even though I wasn't paying much attention. I figured the show was going for that, so I did too.

And yes, the contestant was very cute. She was so tiny and "adorable," I figured if I looked like that, I would be able to get a 20-year-old boyfriend too.

Alas, I do not. And have not!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

For ______ And Out, right away I thought OVER. Then I figured if these players are from California, IN would be the easy answer. Because ... delicious. Delicious won!

I thought Down and Out. I live in NJ. No In-N-Out burgers here.

1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

and maybe it is just me, but I cannot look at Bruce....oops, I mean Caitlyn  Jenner. I guess I am officially old.

When Alec was talking to the top row she looked like she was just staring into space, completely expressionless. It was weird.

• Love 2

I think Kym Whitley turned up the dirty and the shoe reflected it. It's always funny watching these double standards. It didn't bother me. I'm not super sensitive about things but if a dude did or said half stuff she did, he would be a gross pig that needs to be cancelled.

This panel was missing that spice. You need more than one celeb to keep the party going.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

I'm not super sensitive about things but if a dude did or said half stuff she did, he would be a gross pig that needs to be cancelled.

Can you give an example?  I don't remember her being that risque.

Edited by sugarbaker design

Match Game (at least from the '70s version onward) has always been borderline dirty. The difference is, in the '70s, the writers of the jokes had to learn to use workarounds, and the party atmosphere made the innuendo all wink/nudge but yet still fun.

Today, everything is just all out there. The mystique is pretty much gone.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

She pressed her giant boob against Jay's face for starters. 

I agree that this panel was on the weak side.

The contestants did actually come up with some good or clever answers this time. Not smart for this panel though.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

She pressed her breasts on Jay's face. If a man pressed a part of his body on a woman like that, some people would be upset. She made comments about wanting to bang Alec multiple times. It wouldn't be laughed off as easy the other way around. 

• Love 5

NY/NJ person here and I also came up with Over and Out but would have definitely changed to In and Out if I had thought of it. 

4 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I  agree that this panel was on the weak side.

Chris Parnell and Jay Pharaoh are funny guys who can definitely add to a Match game panel, but in my opinion Rob Riggle was the only one of the six who just belongs on this show.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Match Game (at least from the '70s version onward) has always been borderline dirty. The difference is, in the '70s, the writers of the jokes had to learn to use workarounds, and the party atmosphere made the innuendo all wink/nudge but yet still fun.

That was my feeling. If they had stopped at V spot but no they had to spell it out. I can laugh with the best of them at some of the dirty comments but this week's show made me cringe. With the boob rubbing, and graphic use of words it was a little too much. Add Caitlyn Jenner and it was just too much for me. Hope there is a better group next week!

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, Racj82 said:

She pressed her breasts on Jay's face. If a man pressed a part of his body on a woman like that, some people would be upset. She made comments about wanting to bang Alec multiple times. It wouldn't be laughed off as easy the other way around. 

Fortunately I missed all of that (exhaustion/dozing), but I too am repulsed by extreme sexual "joking." But even worse is cannibal jokes, which automatically cause me to reach for the remote.

14 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

Add Caitlyn Jenner and it was just too much

I keep thinking that Caitlyn needs to fire her stylist. Plenty of trans people look good on camera, but her look is just not working, IMO. And for a former Olympic athlete, she moves so awkwardly--not sure what's up with that, but often it's neurological or post-surgical. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I was going to say that I'm tired of the sexual innuendoes, but they're not innuendoes. They're just outright said and sometimes forced. For instance, for the question about Aladdin saying his girlfriend can hold onto his BLANK while riding on his magic carpet, I said 'body,' similarly to the contestant saying 'waist.' That makes sense. Those aren't funny answers, but they're not bad. Penis? Ugh. That seemed forced to me.

I was surprised when Alex suggested toothbrush or insulin after everyone gave their answers for the sweet question. I don't think he's ever done that before. I also said insulin. I thought it was THE answer. 'Sugar' makes no sense.

For the first question, about someone Amish being arrested for decent exposure, I came up with ankle. I think the phrase was something like "It was the first time the police busted someone for showing too much BLANK." Showing too much clothing? No sense. 

Maybe everyone had been drinking before the show even started. Not too bright.

Oh, and for the Dr Dre gynecologist question, I could only come up with pussy, though I didn't like it. I don't know why I didn't just say vagina. Duh. Also, I don't know Ain't Nuthin' But a G Thang -- I had to google -- so I can see that V is the answer, though G [spot] works, too.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Maybe everyone had been drinking before the show even started. Not too bright.

Well, that was common knowledge in the '70s version, and the panelists did okay, even a bit snockered! Maybe these panelists just weren't good.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

For the first question, about someone Amish being arrested for decent exposure, I came up with ankle. I think the phrase was something like "It was the first time the police busted someone for showing too much BLANK." Showing too much clothing? No sense. 

FWIW, I thought "skirt."

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I also said insulin. I thought it was THE answer. 'Sugar' makes no sense.

For the first question, about someone Amish being arrested for decent exposure, I came up with ankle

You are me! My exact answers. Guess we are too literal.

20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

My POV on this is some of the questions back then were designed to make you immediately think of and therefore laugh about the dirty answer, but the players or panel would never actually say them (most “risqué” answers would be ‘boobs’ or ‘tinkle’ Today they just say the obscenities.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Same! My answer of "ankle" was so so off from what everyone else wrote I started wondering if somehow I misunderstood the question.

I also said "insulin" for the sweet question, so was vindicated when Alec suggested that as well.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Phishbulb said:
22 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Same! My answer of "ankle"

👏👏👏

"Good answer!!"

I didn't think of it, but "ankle" is the definitive answer (speaking with the authority of someone who, for the last 2 years, has surely seen every edition of the 70s version of Match Game multiple times).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

My guesses for the last episode (4.12):

1. M&Ms (because "handful")
  2. Throws things
  3. dirty books (rejected encyclopedia because it doesn't really fit linguistically with books)
  4. <blank> (because I forgot about Deflate Gate)
  • Bee (Yay, Kenan)
  • Ground [running]
  1. Mouse (but didn't seem right, because cats don't ride on mice, but I was blank)
  2. [interrupted by call from landlady about broken toilet]
  3. House to use the bathroom??? (blank) —but I thought contestant's "past" was good, and the guest stars think "middle aged" is "old"???
  4. At first I thought "male," but doesn't really work for contestant because they don't write answers, so: Law suit
  5. pat of butter
  6. afraid 
  • dance (but preferred dog, and liked Kenan's "top")
  • humor (because so many comedians, otherwise maybe "smell")
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

M&Ms (because "handful")

I originally thought chocolate chips, but when he said M&Ms I thought, "well, duh!" (especially given the anthropomorphic (and apparently cannibalistic!) candies in their ads).

• Love 4
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

the guest stars think "middle aged" is "old"???

Yeah, at first I said "hospital" or "nursing home" too (even "early bird buffet" occurred to me like it did to Ellie Kemper), then I realized the question said "middle aged", not "elderly". So really, Thomas Lennon who guessed "golf course" was the only one who had his head in the game. 

• Love 4

I would have matched Thomas with Male.  And I would have spelt it out as a contestant. 

Also encyclopedias.   And would have looked like an idiot for missing on deflated.  

Speaking of idiots, I think Alec wanted to slap the first guy when he said Hit The Road, Jack.  Maybe he doesn't know that hit the road is a legit expression outside of the song title but you need to keep it as simple as possible there. 

This must have been filmed a while ago because Ellie is pregnant again and she could have used that as her excuse again. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And would have looked like an idiot for missing on deflated.  

Me too. I knew that there was a great answer pertaining to Brady, but I didn't remember "Deflate-gate" until the contestant said deflated. I struggled to come up with something and just said tackled.

For the Real Housewife doll, I said "flip a table." I've never watched any of the shows, but I seemed to remember hearing about one of the Housewives flipping a table in anger.

My first thought for the bootylicious butt books was Encyclopedia Brittanica, but I thought that might be too old a reference -- Ha, see what I did there? -- so I went with Harry Potter.

For the Super Match, my first choice was [busy] as a bee. I guess that wouldn't have been a match for bee. 

For the thing in the cat's bed, the first thing that came to mind was a sardine, but I figured a cat would like that, as well as a mouse or mouse part, so I stayed away from dead things and said hairball. I realize that's not along the lines of a horse's head, but it made more sense to me.

I was going to say pot of boiling water, but again I was trying to make sense, and I couldn't see a person having that in their desk drawer, so I said lobster bib.

Lap DANCE never occurred to me. In order, I said dog, top, and.... struggling for a third, land.

I didn't know Kyle Richards was on Little House on the Prairie. Looking at photos of her from that time, I see the resemblance to Kim Richards.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was going to say pot of boiling water, but again I was trying to make sense, and I couldn't see a person having that in their desk drawer, so I said lobster bib

Hee! "Lobster bib" conjures up a funnier Far Side-type cartoon of the lobster sitting across from his boss than my "pat of butter." Even better would be the boss with the bib, the butter, and Sherri's knife!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

This must have been filmed a while ago because Ellie is pregnant again and she could have used that as her excuse again. 

Last week(?) Alec made a reference to it being 2018, so yeah, they're kinda old.

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And would have looked like an idiot for missing on deflated. 

15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Me too. I knew that there was a great answer pertaining to Brady, but I didn't remember "Deflate-gate" until the contestant said deflated. I struggled to come up with something and just said tackled.

Me three, which is makes me feel pathetic. One of the panelists also said "Cheated" which again, great answer that I can't believe didn't occur to me. 

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Me three, which is makes me feel pathetic. One of the panelists also said "Cheated" which again, great answer that I can't believe didn't occur to me. 

Wasn't "cheated" for the Ashley Madison question?

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Wasn't "cheated" for the Ashley Madison question?

No. The prompt for the Ashley Madison question was “Instead of ‘you’ve got mail,’ it says ‘you’ve got (blank)’.” Personally I thought “tail” was the obvious answer. 

The cheating answer definitely came up with the Tom Brady question. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, at first I said "hospital" or "nursing home" too (even "early bird buffet" occurred to me like it did to Ellie Kemper), then I realized the question said "middle aged", not "elderly". So really, Thomas Lennon who guessed "golf course" was the only one who had his head in the game. 

I wasn't sure what they were going for there either. "Middle aged" doesn't mean nursing home or early bird special. Since they specified he was driving a mini-van it made me think of hauling his kids around, so I thought maybe back to school or back to soccer practice.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

No. The prompt for the Ashley Madison question was “Instead of ‘you’ve got mail,’ it says ‘you’ve got (blank)’.” Personally I thought “tail” was the obvious answer. 

The cheating answer definitely came up with the Tom Brady question. 

Yeah, you're right. "Cheating" was in the question of the other one -- "... that website for cheating spouses, Ashley Madison ..."

I thought the hedges question was going to be "Middle finger."  Penis was so boring yet that's what most said.

I would have lost at the end as the only thing I could think of was "follow the yellow brick road."

• Love 4
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Is it me or does the upper part of Michael Che's face not move..?

If he had botox injections, that's a shame. Why would you want to look like a mannequin overnight? He is too young for that crap. Leave your face alone.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, The Bullpen said:

I also thought "yellow brick road" and that the hedges were a middle finger!

Question: what were the answers for "Mud ______"? I know the $5,000 answer was "pie," but what were the other two?

Bath and then slide I believe. Slide was the lowest one for sure.

I thought of nothing else but follow the leader.

But, I did screw up on the candle one. I was thinking of things that happen while your drunk not about the candle so I said Jack was covered in vomit.

• Love 2

I missed the beginning of the show, so I don't know if they mentioned if Kirstie Alley was on original Match Game a few times (I think she was).

I'm not familiar with Brooklyn Decker but I would not have pegged her as a supermodel.  I thought she was bony skinny and not very attractive.  And she has weird teeth.  /slinking to the shallow end of the pool/

• LOL 1
45 minutes ago, roughing it said:

I missed the beginning of the show, so I don't know if they mentioned if Kirstie Alley was on original Match Game a few times (I think she was).

I'm not familiar with Brooklyn Decker but I would not have pegged her as a supermodel.  I thought she was bony skinny and not very attractive.  And she has weird teeth.  /slinking to the shallow end of the pool/

her intro bit was literally showing a clip of Kirstie from her first Match Game appearance. I use literally not as a swipe on you. Just saying that didn't just mention it. You know they couldn't resist.

Brooklyn used to look a lot healthier. She looks like skin and bones now which seems to be hurting her overall appearance. It's probably just a lot diet thing. Jordana Brewster is now a woman that people say looks like skeletor and that happened after she went super vegan.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Racj82 said:

But, I did screw up on the candle one. I was thinking of things that happen while your drunk not about the candle so I said Jack was covered in vomit.

I was debating the candle answer. I first thought burns and then wax. 

(edited)

I just can't stand Michael Che. He's always too cool for school. 

I guess I screwed up with a couple of answers. With both I changed my original answer. The first one was with Alexa and Siri. I thought sleep mode was the answer, but then figured (like a couple of the celebs) that that wouldn't be taking it to the next level, so I said sex. I know that's not an actual mode, but I doubt vibrate is either for Siri or Alexa. But I concede that my answer was bad.

The other one was with Mary Poppins working in a tiki bar. I first thought umbrella, but then I figured all (or most) drinks are served with an umbrella in a tiki bar, so I said spoonful of sugar.

For the baby Who Dis app (or whatever it was), I said binky. No, not as a euphemism for penis, though one could take it that way (but not on this show).

For the hedge one, I said dick, which I think is a better answer than penis, just because you call a person a dick, not a penis.

In the Super Matches my number one answers were [mud] pie, [cover] girl, [slim] pickin's, and [follow the] yellow brick road.

The first contestant, Frank, was OTT but I loved his genuine enthusiasm, and I thought he was kinda funny.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1