Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Coming Home

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Dusty said:

I read an interview with DJ Nash that someone upthread mentioned I think. Basically saying that Katherine leaving is to make Eddie suffer. Sure whatever. But then he says "hopefully makes us feel for Eddie." So...this is all so we feel bad for Eddie. Has nothing to do with Katherine and what she's going through really. How is it that the character he seems to think and care the least about is one of the best ones on the show? And can they at least show Regina going to check up on her or something? Can she have a real friend please?!?!

My thing is..I already feel bad for Eddie.  Not bad in, "This should never happen to him!  Give the poor guy a break!  He didn't deserve that!" (However, change the pronouns and that's exactly how I feel about Katherine).  But bad in, "Yeah, you brought this on yourself, dude.  It sucks, but you've gotta go through it."  

See, this is why I should never read those dumb ass interviews with Nash.  I am actually okay with the Katherine leaving arc when I feel it is in character which, oddly, I think this is.  Then I read that it is just some manipulation on Nash's part to get people to feel the way he thinks they should feel and to erase some of his (Nash's) bad decisions.

And, to compound all this, Delilah gets away scott free with nothing but sympathy and support from everyone.  Eddie has been surprisingly honest since the affair reveal, more than one would expect from such a man-child, and HAS had to deal with some consequences.  Yet Delilah just continues to spin a bigger and bigger web of deceit and pulling more people into it.  Ugh!

37 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think the only reason why he is now is because the audience didn't react well to the obvious initial endgame of Eddie and Delilah, and they had to backtrack. Because people like Katherine/Eddie more (I'll admit that I do too, because of the actors), they finally allowed Eddie to feel bad and genuinely look bad. 

Yup...there was a lot of retconning going on in this episode and I have no reason to believe that it won't be the theme of this season...

6 hours ago, Bwill3133 said:

Also the reaction to Eddie telling her Katherine left was stupid. Shocked that someone isn't falling over to kiss your ass? No lady, the woman whose husband lied to her for months and you just had a baby with is not coming by to celebrate you idiot. 

I was really perplexed by the bizarre face that Szostak painted on her face there, too.  Why would the fact that another adult knows her secret, when every single other adult does and sometime always had?  Could it be because she fears that Katherine will come back and exact revenge by telling Danny and Sophie the truth?  While I'd love to see that, it would be so wildly out of character for Katherine that it might actually lead me to turn the TV off.  Could it be because she feels bad that she ruined Eddie's marriage?  Sorry, that ship sailed on that a loooong time ago.  Could it be that Katherine might also have some other dirt on her?  Well, THAT could be interesting! (But also wildly out of character for Katherine...)

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, so true. Of course I can't feel for Eddie. He caused all of this to happen. Him and Delilah.

The only thing I remotely feel bad for Eddie for is the fact that his mistress is getting away with all of it. Delilah doesn't even get yelled at. She just got the cold shoulder from Regina for a week and now they're back to best buddies. Delilah's suffered no consequences. Yes, her husband died, but that has nothing to do with her cheating on him for months. 

Eddie at least is getting SOME consequences here. Not enough, though. He really needs more than just Katherine leaving him. She should also be taking Theo with her. Let Eddie soak in his misery with his new kid for a while. 

I think the only reason why he is now is because the audience didn't react well to the obvious initial endgame of Eddie and Delilah, and they had to backtrack. Because people like Katherine/Eddie more (I'll admit that I do too, because of the actors), they finally allowed Eddie to feel bad and genuinely look bad. 

Exactly and there is not way that Delilah's now dead husband's secret life of possibly of having a son with the wife of his 9/11 killed best friend isn't going to do anything. She was not around for any of that drama and in fact what happened is what lead to the two of them getting together. Just like the mis anger of dead best friend's asshole firefighter husband. He is pissed at a dead man and is thinking trying to cover up their "son's" origins is to protect him? From what? He is a legal adult, he has seen the "secret tape" and so forth. Could there be drama meeting his half siblings? Of course, but at the same time, this was BEFORE their father met their mother. Having a kid before that, hey sadly been common for decades. 

OF COURSE... this will be all to make us feel bad for Delilah because she has to deal with all this drama. When the first fact is, she caused this with Eddie and the other HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HER in the first place! But oh... poor Delilah and her half american accent! So tough being her. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, may flowers said:

Yes. Nash said in a post premiere TV Line interview that he wanted to generate sympathy for Eddie. 

How was that supposed to happen. He suffered a big consequence for really crappy behavior and now it's "Poor Eddie?"  He screwed his best friends wife, embarrassed her and probably made Jon slightly hurt and surprised also. Then in the soap opera way Nash wanted, Eddie gets his mistress pregnant and decided to pass it off as Jon's. Of course, this comes out with some fabricated vasectomy that was never mentioned before and Delilah promising Eddie she only slept with him.  Eww....this whole plot will redeem itself if it's Jon's somehow, but the daytime soap opera tired plots I thought this show was above.  No reason for a pregnancy in a 42 year old that can barely take care of herself.

I still feel also that the whole apartment Jon had and so many other questions were just tossed aside hopefully to be brought up later. How D never went to apartment for months shows her apathy and I'll never like her or Eddie even if writing for them improves.

Looking forward to seeing Jon in more flashbacks and Rome and Regina intelligently working out their baby issues and some post cancer plots for Maggie.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, readster said:

Exactly and there is not way that Delilah's now dead husband's secret life of possibly of having a son with the wife of his 9/11 killed best friend isn't going to do anything. She was not around for any of that drama and in fact what happened is what lead to the two of them getting together. Just like the mis anger of dead best friend's asshole firefighter husband. He is pissed at a dead man and is thinking trying to cover up their "son's" origins is to protect him? From what? He is a legal adult, he has seen the "secret tape" and so forth. Could there be drama meeting his half siblings? Of course, but at the same time, this was BEFORE their father met their mother. Having a kid before that, hey sadly been common for decades. 

OF COURSE... this will be all to make us feel bad for Delilah because she has to deal with all this drama. When the first fact is, she caused this with Eddie and the other HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HER in the first place! But oh... poor Delilah and her half american accent! So tough being her. 

Oh, and that's going to piss me off more, if they play the likely PJ is Jon's son secret as something that is yet another instance of Victim Saint Delilah. It would be worse if we found out that Jon knew about PJ (I don't think he did...) and that just adds to Poor Delilah that they're trying to do. I could see them pulling a whole "Oh, but Jon was the Other Man in a marriage as well!" and....urg. 

They are REALLY lucky that I love David Giuntoli and want to see him get some really great material this season (material that he never got last season), or I'd be really pissed off at the Poor Eddie stuff. At the moment, I'm annoyed but not surprised. 

• Love 4

The thing about this show that really drives me bonkers is when I read all the tweets online from people saying how much the show speaks to them and their own life experiences,  DJ Nash said that the lactation consultant was based on the one he and his wife experienced in the hospital and that she was only slightly less rigid.  

That part of the show made me so angry.  I don't really want to watch a set up wherein a position of assistance (be it cashier or nurse or whatever) is made to behave badly so Maggie can come in and scream at them.  Last season, when the wedding album wasn't ready, that was a very humorous way Rome handled it.  These people are all very well off, and have no right to be speaking to people who are working for a living.

So many people tell him that this show helps them with their depression, etc.  I am at a loss to see how. Truly.  The writing is not really there nor does it go into much detail to be of real help.

I'm still going to watch, because somehow I got invested in Katherine's story, but if Nash thinks he can make me feel bad for Delilah, by removing Katherine from the picture, well, he's got another think coming.

And I didn't think Katherine was endangering Theo by leaving him, I was mad at Nash writing her that way.  She was being written at the end of last season, as a strong, capable woman, who loved her son, and was willing to fight for her marriage.  The news of the baby being Eddie's knocked her for a loop, and I guess she didn't want Theo to see her so upset, but for her to leave and NOT CONTACT Theo is not in character and makes me think Nash is doing some character assassination here 

Good old Gary, encouraging Eddie to do what, exactly?  Be there for his daughter? How is he going to do that?  I guess because eventually all will come out, and the kids will forgive their mom, and Eddie and Theo will join the family and Katherine will have to start over on her own, and Gary will be there saying, "It's better this way."  UGH.

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Oh, and that's going to piss me off more, if they play the likely PJ is Jon's son secret as something that is yet another instance of Victim Saint Delilah.

So, this thing with PJ, which I find really unnecessary, seems overblown.  We know that the man PJ calls his dad is not his dad.  This is not a secret (to anyone except PJ, although why PJ doesn't know it is perplexing).  I get the show is trying to get us to make the jump that Jon was his father but, really, there is nothing to suggest that.  It seems like PJ's father is the friend who died on 9/11--I don't get what the big deal about that is.

Now, if it does turn out that Jon was PJ's father, just ugh.  I'm in the same boat as @Lady Calypso on that!  It's nothing but a pathetic attempt at manipulation and another back door way to make Delilah look better.

Also, it's way beyond coincidental that *Maggie* is PJ's therapist.  First of all, didn't Maggie quit her job last season?  Second, there is no shortage of therapists in Boston and MAGGIE is the one he goes to, after meeting Rome, and somehow being tied to Jon?  This is all too "coincidental" for me to buy.  Do better, Nash.

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

And I didn't think Katherine was endangering Theo by leaving him, I was mad at Nash writing her that way.  She was being written at the end of last season, as a strong, capable woman, who loved her son, and was willing to fight for her marriage.  The news of the baby being Eddie's knocked her for a loop, and I guess she didn't want Theo to see her so upset, but for her to leave and NOT CONTACT Theo is not in character and makes me think Nash is doing some character assassination here 

I was actually not mad at him for writing Katherine that way--until I read his reason for it.  But, Katherine even the strongest person has their breaking point and Katherine was pushed past her, so I could see her leaving like that.  I could also see her not contacting Theo because, as messed up as she was, she was NOT going to bring Theo into it.  But, then again, that was not Nash's intention.  Still, I don't think it was character assassination on his part, just some (very) misguided story telling.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

So, this thing with PJ, which I find really unnecessary, seems overblown.  We know that the man PJ calls his dad is not his dad.  This is not a secret (to anyone except PJ, although why PJ doesn't know it is perplexing).  I get the show is trying to get us to make the jump that Jon was his father but, really, there is nothing to suggest that.  It seems like PJ's father is the friend who died on 9/11--I don't get what the big deal about that is.

Well, my thought process is that we know Jon was best friends with both Barbara Morgan and the guy who died on 9/11. And this show LOVES throwing its twists onto the show. I'd be impressed if it turns out that Jon and PJ aren't related, but since I've been expecting it since the reveal of PJ....I guess I'm still thinking that they'd throw in that twist. 

Just because the show tells us one thing, it doesn't mean they'll stick to it. 

I just don't trust this show. However, if this does turn out to be that PJ only thinks that Jon is his father and he isn't, then that would certainly be a pleasant surprise.

10 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Also, it's way beyond coincidental that *Maggie* is PJ's therapist.  First of all, didn't Maggie quit her job last season?  Second, there is no shortage of therapists in Boston and MAGGIE is the one he goes to, after meeting Rome, and somehow being tied to Jon?  This is all too "coincidental" for me to buy.  Do better, Nash.

I feel like PJ intentionally took on Maggie as his therapist. It looks like PJ didn't happen to just run into Rome, now judging by PJ breaking into the Dixon home. It seems like he's intentionally sought out all of Jon's friends (and came across Maggie only because of her connection with Gary). 

I think it helps with them showing the flashback of PJ overhearing his parents talking right after Gary left the Morgan residence, which all happened before PJ was ever introduced. So I can totally buy that PJ did some digging and found Rome intentionally, just like he found Maggie intentionally. 

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, my thought process is that we know Jon was best friends with both Barbara Morgan and the guy who died on 9/11. And this show LOVES throwing its twists onto the show. I'd be impressed if it turns out that Jon and PJ aren't related, but since I've been expecting it since the reveal of PJ....I guess I'm still thinking that they'd throw in that twist. 

Just because the show tells us one thing, it doesn't mean they'll stick to it. 

I just don't trust this show. However, if this does turn out to be that PJ only thinks that Jon is his father and he isn't, then that would certainly be a pleasant surprise.

I feel like PJ intentionally took on Maggie as his therapist. It looks like PJ didn't happen to just run into Rome, now judging by PJ breaking into the Dixon home. It seems like he's intentionally sought out all of Jon's friends (and came across Maggie only because of her connection with Gary). 

I think it helps with them showing the flashback of PJ overhearing his parents talking right after Gary left the Morgan residence, which all happened before PJ was ever introduced. So I can totally buy that PJ did some digging and found Rome intentionally, just like he found Maggie intentionally. 

I agree, the twist was that PJ isn't Jon's child, but was really Jon's dead friend's child and that Jon kind of fell in love with Maggie and then suddenly was: "Oh no, I'm betraying my best friend." Then decided to not support Maggie and get up and leave. Which then would explain Barb's husband's anger and why Jon felt guilty about it. HOWEVER... PJ is pretty much aware that his mother's husband is not his bio dad. I get that after all of this, PJ is thinking that Jon was his dad and now not only finds out he is dead, but has two half siblings out there. The problem is, asshole fire fighting step dad is acting like PJ doesn't know this and seems to be pretty much blaming people that didn't even know that PJ or they existed. That all of this came about because of Jon's suicide and Delilah being a dumbass. So, the anger is not only misplaced, but seriously, Nash's wanting the "drama" with all of this is coming across as: "Seriously, just talk to these people and stop being pissed just to be pissed."

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Bwill3133 said:

Poor Katherine. She’s by far by favorite and I never want her to have to deal with these people ever again. I want her to have her break, come home and take Theo. Hopefully find some better friends along the way too. 

I want her to take Theo and leave too - maybe have a show just of them starting over somewhere away from Delilah and the rest of them.

I would have been fine with Delilah dying during childbirth too. She is just so unlikeable.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, readster said:

I think Nash will use Jon's possible paternity to justify Delilah's awful behavior when the kids find out about the baby. 'See, your saintly father had an affair with the wife of a friend and then pretended he wasn't the father of her child.  He was just like me!  I had an affair with Daddy's friend and then pretended the baby was Daddy's and not Eddie's.  See, Daddy was no different than me, you can't hate me if you don't hate your father, too.'   The kids will then forgive her on the spot and beg her to forget they ever thought she was a terrible person.

I suspect that the storywriting is heading this way since the logic behind what we've seen so far has been just as nonsensical.  It seems like the main purpose of the show has always been to justify Delilah's actions and present her as an innocent victim of the cold, cruel world.  It ain't working, IMO.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

I want her to take Theo and leave too - maybe have a show just of them starting over somewhere away from Delilah and the rest of them.

I would have been fine with Delilah dying during childbirth too. She is just so unlikeable.

If Nash' goal is to try to make Eddie suffer, wouldn't it have been more logical for Katherine to take Theo, too?  So, his son is with his mother who rightfully wants nothing to do with him while he cannot publicly claim his daughter since he had an affair with his friend's wife and participated in the coverup of the baby's paternity.  He deserves no wife, no kids at all at this point.  Then, when they find out that Eddie is their sister's father, Delilah's kids can hit the road and go live with Katherine and Theo, too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Bwill3133 said:

Oh Delilah, you were not missed. So at presumably almost 9 months pregnant, this woman did not have a nursery ready? I know she’s grieving but good lord do her friends do EVERYTHING for her? At this point it’s just silly. Also the reaction to Eddie telling her Katherine left was stupid. Shocked that someone isn't falling over to kiss your ass? No lady, the woman whose husband lied to her for months and you just had a baby with is not coming by to celebrate you idiot.  Her kids reaction to the paternity will be something I’m sure. 

I refuse to believe everyone’s fine with knowing Eddie is the father and going along with it.  Regina who had the biggest (with Gary) reaction to their affair just waves it off now? Sure definitely a normal reaction.  Friends forgive a lot, that might take some time. ...

With this show, and how fine everyone is with the affair and the lies about the baby's paternity, I am fully expecting Delilah's kids to be perfectly fine with it after a brief period of surprise.

• Love 2

I don't feel bad for Eddie because this is all a mess that he and Delilah created. He was ready to leave Katherine to be with Delilah before Jon died, which would have meant turning Theo's life upside down (not to mention Sophie's and Danny's lives as well) and wrecking their friend group. But the way things worked out due to Jon's death, he managed to keep all of his friends and keep the affection of Theo, Sophie, and Danny. So he's having a tough time right now? Boo fucking hoo. It's still much milder than it could have been and again, this is a situation he created by cheating on his wife with his best friend's wife so yeah, not a lot of sympathy here.

What really annoyed me in this episode was when he was having a pity party after they found out the crib was no longer available. Again, this was a situation of his own making. Gina set up everything else for the nursery and the ONE thing that the guys had to do was get the crib. Somehow between the three of them, none of them (including Eddie, the father of this baby) could be bothered to drive over there and pick it up? And then their solution is to take the floor model instead of going to like, ANY OTHER STORE IN BOSTON to buy a crib? They really believe that this is the only store in a 100 mile radius that sells cribs? Which, by the way, a newborn should not be sleeping in anyway.

I don't remember how far along Delilah was when she announced her pregnancy, but it wasn't yesterday so they have all had MONTHS to get a crib. It's not the store's fault that they waited until the last minute and it's not the store's fault that after they finally ordered it, no one came to pick it up. So again, no I don't feel sorry for Eddie or Delilah or anyone else in their circle that the crib wasn't in stock.

But back to the pity party that annoyed me. Eddie then said, "My daughter comes home today. I can't even get her a crib. I can't even call her my daughter. And tonight when I tuck my son in, he's going to ask me where his mother is, so you'll understand why I can't wait for them to get another one of these in from Pittsfield!"

Let's just break this down. You can't call her your daughter because she's your secret child from an affair you had. You can't call her your daughter because you and your mistress agreed to keep your biological relationship to her a secret. Am I supposed to feel bad about this? BECAUSE I DON'T. When he brought up Theo, I thought he was going to say, "Tonight when I tuck my son in, I can't even tell him that he has a sister." But no, just thinking about himself as usual. "What am I going to tell Theo? It's so stressful for me to have to make up a lie so that I don't have to tell him that his mother was distraught about the fact that I fucked her friend and got her pregnant and then I let her believe that it was someone else's child when it's actually mine!" If he thinks that's hard, maybe he should see how difficult it is to put on a happy face and bake cookies with your kid while your heart is breaking and you're fighting back tears. No matter how much Eddie thinks he's suffering, Katherine is suffering even more, all due to Eddie's choices.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, izabella said:

With this show, and how fine everyone is with the affair and the lies about the baby's paternity, I am fully expecting Delilah's kids to be perfectly fine with it after a brief period of surprise.

I'm feeling generous so I'm going to say that they're going to spend one whole episode after they find out to be upset with Delilah before moving on and being totally cool with it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Ugh. I was really hoping this season would pick up, but no. I hate Delilah, so this episode was torture for me. If her and the baby died in a terrible car accident, I'd be perfectly okay. I just wish they'd made Jon the father. This mess with her and Eddie is beyond old. 

I don't blame Katherine for leaving. Once again, Eddie's lying to her and she's the last to know. How much more is she supposed to take? He basically blamed her for the affair, tried to leave her for Delilah, then hid the baby that came from it. If she were to come back with divorce papers, it'd be no less than Eddie deserved. 

I think I'm out. Too much melodrama for the sake of drama. Too little sense. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Boo fucking hoo

That's Eddie's story in a nutshell, isn't it?

5 hours ago, Ivylady said:

I don't blame Katherine for leaving. Once again, Eddie's lying to her and she's the last to know. How much more is she supposed to take? He basically blamed her for the affair, tried to leave her for Delilah, then hid the baby that came from it. If she were to come back with divorce papers, it'd be no less than Eddie deserved.

I don't either. Infidelity is one thing, and she was getting over it and putting it in the past. But a child resulting from it isn't something you can get over or put in the past. It's a living being and no matter how innocent of its parents' bad acts, will always be a reminder, and sooner or later it's going to impact the your child as well. This does happen, and some people do navigate it, but it's never pretty. 

I don't wish even a fictional baby ill, I just wish that it was Jon's (or maybe it could turn out that Eddie wasn't her only lover...lol)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

That's Eddie's story in a nutshell, isn't it?

I don't either. Infidelity is one thing, and she was getting over it and putting it in the past. But a child resulting from it isn't something you can get over or put in the past. It's a living being and no matter how innocent of its parents' bad acts, will always be a reminder, and sooner or later it's going to impact the your child as well. This does happen, and some people do navigate it, but it's never pretty. 

I don't wish even a fictional baby ill, I just wish that it was Jon's (or maybe it could turn out that Eddie wasn't her only lover...lol)

3 minutes ago, debraran said:

I still hold out hope in this night time soap, that the baby is Jon's. I honestly can't come up with a reason beyond it's the standard soap tale, why D had to have Eddie's baby?  Their romance seems to have ebbed, he wants his wife back, what purpose does Charlie have? Babies are boring and shows usually don't want them, they can't be on long, they always need a sitter to take them away, they usually get sick, but with all that's going on from Jon's past and his suicide, why make it Eddie's? Its so tacky and at least if it was Jon's, the kids have another part of him there and there is enough drama without a baby.

Nash had said Sophie would take it hard (unless that is rewritten) and I feel the shirt framed of Jon's will be taken down, maybe broken, something dramatic, because that would seem odd hanging there if they knew the baby was Eddie's or thought so.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
On 9/26/2019 at 10:18 PM, break21 said:

The scene where the doctor was upset because Delilah wasn't breast-feeding her baby was cringe-worthy.

There was a Law and Order episode about that very topic.  There is a lot of truth to that though.  A friend of mine was shamed because she couldn't breastfeed, until her sister cursed the specialist out.  I didn't mind the therapist telling the woman off.  Some people need to STFU.

On 9/28/2019 at 9:55 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Delilah doesn't even get yelled at. She just got the cold shoulder from Regina for a week and now they're back to best buddies. Delilah's suffered no consequences. Yes, her husband died, but that has nothing to do with her cheating on him for months. 

Do we think Delilah and Eddie should go around wearing scarlet letters?  Do we want to go back to those times?  For me the answer is no, but sometimes when I watch this show, it seems like Katherine is in a different show than the rest of the characters and Katherine's only "sin" was that she had a demanding job.

I really felt for Katherine because Eddie was too high to be there for their son, but now that he's sober he was there for the birth of he and Delilah's child; that had to hurt.

Part of me gets this group of friends.  I mean resentment of someone is like YOU drinking poison and wanting THEM to die, but it seemed like "all is forgiven" happened way too quickly.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Do we think Delilah and Eddie should go around wearing scarlet letters?  Do we want to go back to those times?  For me the answer is no, but sometimes when I watch this show, it seems like Katherine is in a different show than the rest of the characters and Katherine's only "sin" was that she had a demanding job.

I don't think it is a matter of Delilah and Eddie being shamed.  I do think it is a case of natural consequences.  They did something that hurt many people and Eddie has faced some consequences of it: He ended up separated for a while, Gary was mad at him for like a week, his wife walked out on him just as they were about to reconcile.

My frustration, and I think the frustration of many people here, is that the natural consequences just don't seem to apply to Delilah.  What has she faced?  Regina yelled at her once, and then later apologized.  She ended up pregnant, but given the fact that she did nothing to prevent this pregnancy (used not always reliable contraception and then did nothing when she knew it failed), I don't even think it was an unwanted pregnancy.  That's it.  From a story telling viewpoint, it undermines everything in this show.  I mean, a story is really just a string of events, decisions, and consequences...but this show seems to be minus the consequences.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think that Delilah should have been reamed out, not hugged and told by everyone that everything's ok.

I think more people should have gotten angry at Delilah. 

The issue I have is the fact that Delilah hasn't gotten any consequences for her actions. I mean, yeah, there's a baby, but that's not a bad thing. Which is why I expect her kids to get pissed off enough. If they do, especially Sophie, then at least she's suffered some of the consequences to cheating. 

It's not that I want Delilah to lose everything and everyone. Even if I don't like her, I don't actually want that. But I want SOMEONE to acknowledge that what she did wasn't ok. I want Delilah to acknowledge that what she did was wrong. I don't want her actions to be handwaved. Eddie's suffering because he, himself, ruined his marriage. He knows it. He's still suffering and rightfully so. 

Delilah lost her husband, she has a new kid, but only one of those is related to her cheating on her husband for months (a year?). The only thing I want is for someone to acknowledge that Delilah is just as culpable in the affair as Eddie. I want someone to get really mad at her for more than a week. Gary forgave her immediately and was even having his birthday cake with her that very night that he found out. Delilah showed up to Regina's place and all she needed was to put on some puppy dog eyes for Regina to forgive her. But I can't really fully count Regina giving Delilah the cold shoulder for a week as a consequence. Maybe it's a small one, but for someone who cheated repeatedly, it's just not enough for me. 

I just don't want Delilah to get a pass like she has. That's all. Even if it's her daughter getting really angry with her and rebelling for a while, that would satisfy me enough. Well...I mean, I would be satisfied with Delilah leaving the show, but I know that's not going to happen so...I'll take whatever else I can get.

• Love 8

I decided at the end of last season I was out because I don’t like these people (save Katherine & Theo) but I was flipping channels and stopped on this new episode. I watched about 50% and I still don’t like these people. They are selfish, self-involved and quite stupid.

Delilah, the supposedly sainted center of the friend group, is so completely unlikable I don’t understand what the writers are doing. I can’t stand Maggie and she and Gary are unenjoyable in their immature whininess. Eddie is a clueless idiot who wants his cake and ice cream and maybe some punch too. His wife, his kid, his lover, his new baby, his friend group - they should all be okay with him. I did like Rome and Regina but I’m pretty sure they’re about to be ruined. 

I hated the lactation side story. Yes there are sucky ones out there but by and large they are good people who want to help. This felt like just one more chance to evoke sympathy for nasty D and have Maggie act like she did at the Christmas tree lot. You can stop someone harassing your friend without being a jerk Maggie. But these people are too self-absorbed to see anything but themselves and their own self-induced drama. 

I can’t believe people say this show is relatable. Would any of us expect the wife who had been cheated on to stay part of the group the cheaters populate? Especially when they’ve made it pretty clear they prefer the cheaters? Are there truly friend groups out there so tight that they want the entire group to be at the hospital and part of the labor process? They hang around each other all the time. So much together. Good grief! I’m pretty extroverted but I feel the need to run to my room, lock the door, and relax with some alone time just from seeing this codependent mess. 

• Love 5
On 9/28/2019 at 12:53 PM, cardigirl said:

So many people tell him that this show helps them with their depression, etc.  I am at a loss to see how. Truly.  The writing is not really there nor does it go into much detail to be of real help.

Actually I get that one.  I'm not big on Freud, but old Sigmund was absolutely right when he said "depression is anger turned inward." Every time Maggie or Gary go off on a rant against someone that's offended them, there's always going to be a segment of the audience that relates and cheers.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's not that I want Delilah to lose everything and everyone. Even if I don't like her, I don't actually want that. But I want SOMEONE to acknowledge that what she did wasn't ok. I want Delilah to acknowledge that what she did was wrong. I don't want her actions to be handwaved. Eddie's suffering because he, himself, ruined his marriage. He knows it. He's still suffering and rightfully so. 

I don't expect people to act the way I think they should.  I'm not the moral police.

However, it is strange that not one person is upset with Delilah.  

Years ago I had a friend who I'd known for decades.  I stopped speaking to her for awhile because when her boyfriend told her he lied to her about being married and having kids, she just said, "okay," an stayed with him.  I did speak to her again years later, and now that she has passed away I wonder if I did the right thing, wasting those years because of MY feelings.  

My problem with Delilah wasn't that she had an affair, but that she felt the need to tell Eddie it was his child she was carrying.  To me there was NO good reason to tell him that.  I know you're as sick as your secrets, but she could have told that secret to a mental health professional or a pastor.  There was no good in telling Eddie.  What bugs me the most is that the person who will be impacted in the future will be Theo.  

Is the show really as big a hit as ABC says it is?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

My problem with Delilah wasn't that she had an affair, but that she felt the need to tell Eddie it was his child she was carrying.  To me there was NO good reason to tell him that.  I know you're as sick as your secrets, but she could have told that secret to a mental health professional or a pastor.  There was no good in telling Eddie.  What bugs me the most is that the person who will be impacted in the future will be Theo.  

I agree with you.  Once Delilah decided to allow herself to get pregnant, she really had 2 choices:

1 - Tell the truth to everyone

2 - Lie to everyone

Instead, she chose this weird 3rd option where she told Eddie (and apparently, the magic time machine went back to make sure that Jon had a vasectomy and that Gary knew *all along,* which was clearly not the case in season 1).  So, now Eddie has to be burdened with her secret AND has to keep this secret from everyone AND give up his own child.  The best option, other than Delilah being responsible and not getting pregnant in the first place, would have been her to just be honest and to face up to the consequences of her actions.  To me, telling Eddie was just another layer of cruelty.  If she was going to lie, she might as well just have lied to him as well.

And, no, I don't think the hit is as big as ABC thinks.  The rating were not great until they moved to after Grey's and I'm sure that is what saved it for season 2--and will probably allow them to keep up this level of drivel for a season 3.  But, I read somewhere...I wish I could find that article...the social media reach of the show is not at all where it should be for show like this.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I don't expect people to act the way I think they should.  I'm not the moral police.

However, it is strange that not one person is upset with Delilah.  

As someone who enjoys being entertained, I know TV shows are never really going to be realistic, so I get it.

But there IS a reason why Delilah isn't well liked. At least, I haven't seen very many people who have said that they like Delilah. 

I'm not even looking for complete realism; I just think that they've completely handled the character of Delilah wrong. An audience can't root for a character, or even like a character, when they're treated this badly by the writing. You have to give reasons for the audience to root for a character and from my standpoint, they haven't done that with Delilah, at all. 

If the show was actually working toward Delilah being an unlikable character, then I'd totally be fine with it. But the issue is that I'm positive that Delilah is supposed to be likable. And that's where the disconnect is; that's why I can't stand Delilah. 

8 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

As far as I'm aware, ABC is rooting for this to be a hit. It wasn't doing well when it first started out but when they moved it behind the Grey's slot, the ratings picked up. Hence, why it's now staying at that timeslot, probably for the rest of its run. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, ramble said:

Are there truly friend groups out there so tight that they want the entire group to be at the hospital and part of the labor process?

I can't even imagine. My best friend and I have been friends for over 40 years, and when her kids were born I found out via text hours later. She did ask me to keep her company at the hospital for the afternoon the day after her son was born, because she didn't want to be alone and her husband needed to go spend some time with their daughter (who was too young to understand why they'd been gone for an entire day and night). Her mom came after dinner to spend the second night with her and then I visited a couple weeks later after they were settled in at home. She didn't expect me to sit in the hospital waiting room at 4 in the morning (though if she had asked me to be there, I certainly would have). Or set up his bedroom. And that's just me, not 6 other people.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I can't even imagine. My best friend and I have been friends for over 40 years, and when her kids were born I found out via text hours later. She did ask me to keep her company at the hospital for the afternoon the day after her son was born, because she didn't want to be alone and her husband needed to go spend some time with their daughter (who was too young to understand why they'd been gone for an entire day and night). Her mom came after dinner to spend the second night with her and then I visited a couple weeks later after they were settled in at home. She didn't expect me to sit in the hospital waiting room at 4 in the morning (though if she had asked me to be there, I certainly would have). Or set up his bedroom. And that's just me, not 6 other people.

Heck, I deliver babies for a living and I have never, ever sat around waiting while a friend was in labor unless I was her doctor.  Even with a third baby, Delilah is an older mom who hasn't had a kid in umpteen years which could mean a long labor and it can last up to 24 hours and still be considered normal.  What is the point of a bunch of people sitting around a waiting room for hours on end like they've got nothing else to do?  Oh, and my mother had her last child when I was almost 16; and there was no way my parents wanted me and my 4 other siblings sitting around the waiting room.  Since I was second oldest, I did get to see the baby in the hospital a couple days after she was born as did my older sister; the rest waited until she came home and, yet, we all liked her just fine and bonded pretty well.

As for Delilah not having done a single thing to prepare a place for the baby; that has got to be the height of learned helplessness.  She was obviously planning to breastfeed, she sleeps alone these days, all the baby needed was a bedside bassinet set up in D's bedroom.  The baby won't need her own room, let alone her own crib for months and months.  Surely, Delilah could've gotten on Amazon or arranged with Target or Walmart pick up to get a bassinet for the kid at some point in the last 8 months or so.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Surely, Delilah could've gotten on Amazon or arranged with Target or Walmart pick up to get a bassinet for the kid at some point in the last 8 months or so.

Heck-the guys could have done that instead of “crib heist hi-jinks”!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think all of this traces back to when they recast the part of Katherine with Grace Park.

The only thing that explains this show for me is that it was supposed to have the spouses that were cheated on, not part of the group.  Delilah's husband dead.  And Gary's assessment of Eddie's wife being accurate.  So they could skirt over the part where the friend group is torn over which friends the "divorcing" couple gets.

Except that the network had them recast with Grace Park and the original plan became in impossible because their most well known actress was playing Eddie's wife.  They tried to go with the original plan but with Katherine being sympathetic and now they have no clue how to fix it.  And now everyone, outside of Katherine, seems like co-dependent assholes. 

5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm not even looking for complete realism; I just think that they've completely handled the character of Delilah wrong. An audience can't root for a character, or even like a character, when they're treated this badly by the writing. You have to give reasons for the audience to root for a character and from my standpoint, they haven't done that with Delilah, at all. 

With a character like Delilah, you need them unfairly accused of all manner of villainy to the point that its unfair in the other direction and the audience gets on their side.

Or at least stop all the characters from fawning over her so much if they aren't going to give and demonstrable reasons that they should be.

• Love 4

Delilah seems like the kind of person who always has something going wrong and has to get everyone involved in it, and always has someone being mean to her that she complains about so that people will step in to defend her or give her "oh I am so sorry" sympathy, and always makes herself look like the victim, no matter what crap she pulls. Her Facebook feed must be absolutely insufferable, tons of posts about how sad she is and how much she is dealing with but EVERYTHING IS FINE when people comment saying how bad they feel for her. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
On 9/27/2019 at 2:55 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I know Gary is supposed to be the funny one, but I find myself laughing far more at Rome's lines.  His delivery is perfect--far less gimmicky than Gary's.  In fact, I find Gary more likable when he's not being snarky.

Gary tries too hard to be the "edgy, madcap guy." It kinda bugs. Rome's humor is more organic and gives you real insight into how he views the world. Gary would be a much more likeable character, IMO, if he just dialed it back a few notches.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Delilah seems like the kind of person who always has something going wrong and has to get everyone involved in it, and always has someone being mean to her that she complains about so that people will step in to defend her or give her "oh I am so sorry" sympathy, and always makes herself look like the victim, no matter what crap she pulls. Her Facebook feed must be absolutely insufferable, tons of posts about how sad she is and how much she is dealing with but EVERYTHING IS FINE when people comment saying how bad they feel for her. 

This! I mean even in the flashbacks, she was talking about how much her life sucked back home with Jon at the airport bar. She has bad things happened to her, and instead of stepping up and dealing with them. She rather have someone else "fix it" for her. That includes even her affair with Eddie. Oh, her sex life and Jon spiraling into depression was so tough for her. Thanks for the wild secret nights of sex Eddie. Opps... I'm going to have your baby, guess I should have used birth control or told you I wasn't in menopause yet. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Exactly. Something I've noticed about Delilah is that she will put herself down...but when someone goes in and says "Oh, no, poor Delilah", she doesn't correct them or stop them from feeling pity for her. She kind of gives up and lets herself wallow in her own self misery. So it doesn't seem sincere that she feels bad about any of it. It feels like she is looking for validation, which is a total victim move. She's making herself to be a victim. If she actually felt guilt over her actions, if we actually saw it, then that would be a different story. They had me feeling for Delilah's loss up until the end of the pilot, when they revealed that she's a cheater. And then she didn't take any true responsibility for her actions.

It's like she likes being the victim and likes when other people take care of her. I can't imagine what she'd do if she didn't have that support system around her and she had to take care of three kids on her own. Obviously she's capable of providing them the basic necessities, but there's so much more to parenting than that. She's obviously a good mom all in all, but she's kind of a shitty human being because she's also very selfish. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Obviously she's capable of providing them the basic necessities, but there's so much more to parenting than that. She's obviously a good mom all in all, but she's kind of a shitty human being because she's also very selfish. 

I'm not sure that is obvious. Have we ever seen her do anything without someone else, even her daughter, helping her?

• Love 7

the Thing that bugs me most about this show is that people liken it to This Is Us. This show is about an inept adulterer and her codependent friends who enable her narcissism. I like the one character they actively try to make us like the least. I fast forward to her and Theo’s parts. And since they had her bail, I pretty much fast forwarded through most of this drivel. I hate almost everyone. They are all terrible friends and blank people with little substance which is funny considering all the big deep problems they all have. 

• Love 6
On 9/26/2019 at 9:58 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Regina vs Rome: who will give in to the child vs childless issue. I mean, it's obvious that it'll be Regina giving in and having a child. But I would be much more interested in seeing how Rome handles his desire to have a child without having one. Either they divorce or one of them gives in, and I don't see them getting a divorce...although, if Katherine/Eddie somehow work things out, then maybe they could divorce?

THIS. Why can television NEVER follow through with a couple who agrees to be a couple without children. Babies are popping out everywhere, and I am certain Regina will lose in this, and it's depressing. 

I hate you, Delilah. I wish your friends had better taste in friends.

On 9/29/2019 at 3:58 PM, ramble said:

I can’t believe people say this show is relatable. Would any of us expect the wife who had been cheated on to stay part of the group the cheaters populate? Especially when they’ve made it pretty clear they prefer the cheaters? Are there truly friend groups out there so tight that they want the entire group to be at the hospital and part of the labor process? They hang around each other all the time. So much together. Good grief! I’m pretty extroverted but I feel the need to run to my room, lock the door, and relax with some alone time just from seeing this codependent mess. 

Loved this! I thought it was really weird that they all went to the hospital. SO codependent.

• Love 7

They continue to not understand how breast cancer works. She's not on any medicine RIGHT AFTER her treatment ended following her RECURRENCE? Who is her shitty doctor?  "Nah, you don't need any medicine. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just wing it! It's only cancer!"

Edited by Brian Cronin
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Mumbojumbo said:

This show is about an inept adulterer and her codependent friends who enable her narcissism. 

See, despite this, I could see it working if there was great, nuanced acting. That scene with the baby's first selfie could have been completely different if Delilah had a slightly evil smirk after learning about Katherine leaving. Instead we got a toned down version of the reaction Chandler had when Monica tried to seduce him with a serious head cold. 

Still, I hold out hope. A character named Delilah should have more layers. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, kazza said:

See, despite this, I could see it working if there was great, nuanced acting. That scene with the baby's first selfie could have been completely different if Delilah had a slightly evil smirk after learning about Katherine leaving. Instead we got a toned down version of the reaction Chandler had when Monica tried to seduce him with a serious head cold. 

Still, I hold out hope. A character named Delilah should have more layers. 

The bolded part of that is so, so wrong and yet so, so accurate!

Yes, if you name a character Delilah, she should be a Delilah.  You can't name a character, say, Scarlet and expect her to be introverted wallflower or another character Adolf and have him be a humanitarian.  There are certain names, only a few but "Delilah" is really on that list, where the name encapsulates the character.  Or it should.  It doesn't here, but Delilah might be more realistic if she were an actual Delilah.

• Love 2
On 9/28/2019 at 11:25 AM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I was actually not mad at him for writing Katherine that way--until I read his reason for it.  But, Katherine even the strongest person has their breaking point and Katherine was pushed past her, so I could see her leaving like that.  I could also see her not contacting Theo because, as messed up as she was, she was NOT going to bring Theo into it.  But, then again, that was not Nash's intention.  Still, I don't think it was character assassination on his part, just some (very) misguided story telling.

How does ABANDONING your child keep him out of the adults drama? I was fine with her leaving, but to not even call Theo? Why on earth would she behave that way? Nothing in her character as revealed so far would support her doing that. It's character assassination for sure.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

How does ABANDONING your child keep him out of the adults drama? I was fine with her leaving, but to not even call Theo? Why on earth would she behave that way? Nothing in her character as revealed so far would support her doing that. It's character assassination for sure.

I ALMOST admire how open Nash is about how cheap his writing tricks are at times. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kazza said:

See, despite this, I could see it working if there was great, nuanced acting.

Nuance would just make me crazier.  I need some blatant acknowledgement that they have a handle on their characterization.

A simple venting of frustration among some of the group before they go back to being supportive of the widow would be helpful.  Just to know that they (the writers) know that Delilah is a perpetual damsel in distress that needs rescuing from her own actions and not some paragon of a strong, independent woman.

1 hour ago, SpiritSong said:

Perhaps I'm being too much of a Katherine-apologist here, but it really seemed to me that she was truly in the midst of a breakdown.  I mean, she was not functioning at all.  She went from a capable woman who handled the initial shock of her husband cheating on her in a way that she was still able to keep her life as a mother and as a lawyer going to a woman who ran home to lie in the fetal position on her childhood bed.  Yeah, she left Theo, but she was not able at that point to even care for herself.  The fact that she took the effort to make sure he was cared for before she left was kind of amazing, considering the state she was in.

I mean, I'm the first to call out the myriad shortcomings of Nash's writing, but I just don't feel this was character assassination.  I only hope that they allow Katherine to rise out from this point and not just make her some sort of prop for more Delilah crap.

• Love 7
On 9/26/2019 at 10:57 PM, casachess said:

FWIW, I've had six kids and while some of the lactation consultants I've had have been great, others have absolutely been 100% like the one in the show. One was actually WORSE. It got so bad that my daughter dropped more than 10% of her birth weight and we HAD to give her formula, and she ate the entire bottle in like, two seconds (because she was starving!!), and the LC watched and called her a brat. That entire scene actually rang very true to me -- the overbearing LC who cares more about feeding HER way bullying a tired, stressed mom who is in pain... BTDT.

Lactivisim is unfortunately a very real thing. 😕 

Exactly. I'm a firm believer the two LC I had with my first had a lot to do with my depression afterwards. Especially because I was never successful in breast feeding. She admonished me for not having a  breast pump, mind you this was my first and he came 3 weeks early. She wouldn't give me a nipple shield which did help because I would ruin my chances at breastfeeding  

I distinctly remember sobbing in the 3rd LC office that my pedi sent me too when she told me to just feed my baby and that's what matters. 

One NICU nurse with my 2nd who was a 7 weeks early tried to force nursing on me as well. Way to make me feel like crap after I'm already feeling like a failure. Both the baby and I almost died and I needed her to never speak to m again. This same nurse kept trying to force a NG tube on her when  she didn't need it. My little spitfire kept ripping it off. 

With all 3 kids, several moms told me how sad and sorry they were for me because I wouldn't be able to bond with my kids since I was pumping. Fuck them.

Whoo, sorry, I'm still mad about it. 

Feed your baby. Who cares how you do it? 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

They continue to not understand how breast cancer works. She's not on any medicine RIGHT AFTER her treatment ended following her RECURRENCE? Who is her shitty doctor?  "Nah, you don't need any medicine. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just wing it! It's only cancer!"

Not much research in this show. I remember many survivors going on about the bruises and marks they'd show Maggie having, saying it was unrealistic and used as a prop to show her getting worse. The fainting not so much. I even googled if this was a symptom with advanced breast cancer and if she was far along, chemo and complete remission (except on TV) would not be a high percentage or obtainable. Most types of cancer do need meds later but some probably don't. My mom and sister had 2 different types but my sister does need something.

You know when Nash gets tired of relationship, or maybe when she has a baby, if the show is still on, it will come back. I hate cancer stories sometimes but if you do them, try your best to research and not "wing it". This isn't the 60's.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, debraran said:

Not much research in this show. I remember many survivors going on about the bruises and marks they'd show Maggie having, saying it was unrealistic and used as a prop to show her getting worse. The fainting not so much. I even googled if this was a symptom with advanced breast cancer and if she was far along, chemo and complete remission (except on TV) would not be a high percentage or obtainable. Most types of cancer do need meds later but some probably don't. My mom and sister had 2 different types but my sister does need something.

Maggie has Metastatic Breast Cancer, right?  From what I understand (from too many friends going through it), you are never "cancer free" with that--you can go into remission, but that doesn't mean you are "cancer free."  Also, aren't patients with MBC on medication (a low-dose chemo?) for the rest of their lives?  Seriously, this show in one directly after Grey's, which is far from accurate but still better than this..

ETA: Well, color me shocked.  I've been wracking my brain since watching this about why the actress who played the lactation consultant was so familiar...although apparently not enough to look it up.  However, something else was important enough for me to pull up IMDB, so I checked this and it's Jo from Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce!

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Maggie has Metastatic Breast Cancer, right?  From what I understand (from too many friends going through it), you are never "cancer free" with that--you can go into remission, but that doesn't mean you are "cancer free."  Also, aren't patients with MBC on medication (a low-dose chemo?) for the rest of their lives?  Seriously, this show in one directly after Grey's, which is far from accurate but still better than this..

They're obviously wholly inconsistent with how they depict it, but Maggie likely doesn't have metastatic breast cancer. She had a recurrence of her original breast cancer. If it's still localized, then it can still be "cured" as opposed to if it was metastatic cancer, where you just have to manage it for the rest of your life. So long as it is localized, it can be treated and you can be considered "cancer free" if there is no sign of cancer elsewhere in your body following the completion of your treatment. However, in that scenario, they're always going to be giving you medicine to help make sure it DOESN'T come back, ESPECIALLY if you have had a recurrence. It's absolute madness how they're treating her on the show.