Type keyword(s) to search

A Very Brady Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

This was so much more fun and interesting than I expected it to be. I always liked that horse statue! I look forward to the rest of the series. BTW, Susan Olsen looks older than Maureen and Eve! Loved Chris Knight going all out to get the right color for the exterior.

I read she had a hard life after the series. Maureen seems phony, Eve seems like a frumpy old woman. At least Susan has some style, the other two dress terribly ..Love the boys, and yes, everyone has aged along with those of us who watched the show. I love this though, I feel so nostalgic at this time in my life. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, QQQQ said:

Unless I misunderstood,  I was wondering if they really brought the Bradys back for a reveal as each section of the house is finished, or if that part was faked and the reveals were all filmed at the end. Because 1) I can't imagine making parts of the house pristine, including breakable vases, one-of-a-kind furniture pieces, etc., in the middle of a construction site; 2) during filming of a reveal other work has to come to a halt - not good on such a tight timeline; and 3) the Bradys all said their schedules were packed - coming back to film one reveal would be so much more manageable than 3 or 4.

I'd like to know what the "packed" schedules were! Haven't seen any of the 6 doing much over the last 40 years. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, so far so good! However; I'm wondering what HGTV is going to eventually DO with the BB House when all the reno dust finally gets settled. I seriously doubt just keeping it as a reunion spot for surviving cast members until the last one heads to the  Sunshine Day in sky would be worth all the time, trouble and expense the network's put into it!  

Yes, Miss Plumb now has an uncanny resemblance to the late Miss Henderson but I can't help but think that Miss McCormick is closest to their late TV mom in the feistiness department!  

Am I the only one who doesn't see the resemblance? Blonde hair is about all I see that's the same. She sure doesn't have her "mothers" style. She looks like a former nun.  Maureen seems more phony/bad actress then feisty. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Shermie said:

The Flintstones slept in the same bed eventually. 😁 So did the Munsters. 

Actually, the first couple to be shown in a double bed on tv was very obscure. According to Snopes...

"Would it surprise you to find out that the answer is a show that antedates even I Love Lucy? A program that was, in fact, television’s very first sitcom?

On Tuesday, 18 November 1947, a 15-minute program entitled Mary Kay and Johnnymade its debut on the Dumont network. Like the more famous I Love Lucy series that followed it, Mary Kay and Johnny starred a real-life couple, actors Johnny and Mary Kay Stearns. Mary Kay had been modeling junior wear on a weekly TV show when her husband pitched the idea of a television-based domestic comedy to a sponsor. (Many such domestic shows, often featuring real-life couples, were playing on radio, but none had yet made the transition to television). Johnny got the go-ahead to produce a single episode, so he wrote a light comedic script about a newly-married couple who lived in a Greenwich Village apartment, just as he and Mary Kay, also a newly-married couple, did. The show caught on, and Mary Kay and Johnny, performed live, became television’s first sitcom, eventually running for three years on three different networks (Dumont, NBC, and CBS)."

But if you want the first tv human couple that was not married in real life? I think the Brady's win.

As for the house afterwards? I hope it's open to tours, although the neighbours might not like having a tourist attraction in their residential area. Zoning, parking, and all that. Maybe it will be somewhere you can book to stay overnight.

I'd hate to live anywhere near this place. Although we may be overestimating who is going to go and see it. I don't see who wants to live in it either. It sounds like they are taking out the entire back yard to build more onto the house. I guess the bones of the house, the brick, the staircase etc are fine. The furnishings would have to go to auction! 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Frost said:

Why would big plastic grapes ever be in style?  Seriously.  Why?!?!?  My grandmother had a clump of them in a bowl on her coffee table in the 60s.  Even as a kid all I could think about was how dusty they were.  The rubbery plastic material they were made from attracted and held onto dust like nobody's business.

On the other hand, I too coveted that horse statue.  I wonder what it is actually made from?

Those grapes were hideous. Always were and always will be. I would have thrown them in the trash if they were part of my parents junk.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I watched the first few minutes & DVR’d the rest. So many people texted me because they know I’m a Brady Bunch geek. I’m 55 & watched it in the original run. I’ve seen every episode at least 100 times. I heard they were on Today Show this morning. Andy Cohen was singing with them on Instagram. Not shockingly Eve wanted no part of it. She stood in the back with Chris (who can’t sing) and, just stood there. She is such a stick in the mud.

Do you have any articles or videos for their appearances?

• Useful 1

I think the answer to that is the ratings. Apparently the premiere episode brought in huge ratings for their network, 3.36 million viewers. The article notes that they are not planning on immediately selling the house. They bought it for an outstanding $3.5 million, and I think the original listing was like for $1.8 million.

The couch looked ugly because it had no texture. Due to the printing of the fabric, I assume, they couldn't use the normal thick, textured fabric that couch fabric. The plain (orange?) upholstered armchairs looked much better and less "new" due to the thick textured fabric.

• Love 6

We were stylin' - we had green, orange and purple table grapes during the '60s. (All in different rooms, thank god). Not plastic, they were glass and quite heavy; we went to Palm Springs about 6 times a year and my mom found the grapes there on different trips. 

I'm enjoying this show. It's way cool how they are accurately (re)creating something that never was. This couldn't have been done for a reasonable cost prior to the internet. 

Edited by suomi
  • Love 14

HGTV's "A Very Brady Renovation" just earned the popular cable channel's highest ratings for a premiere in history, with a 1.43 rating among adults 25-54 and a 1.52 rating in terms of total viewers. We'll get the actual viewer tally tomorrow.

Monday's 90-minute episode was HGTV's highest-rated telecast in more than two and a half years. The time slot soared 160% versus the year-ago levels and +211% over the last six weeks.

"A Very Brady Renovation" was the No. 1 non-sports telecast of the night among adults 25-54 on basic cable.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/a-very-brady-renovation-has-the-highest-rated-premiere-in-hgtv-history/ar-AAH63Ie?li=BBnb4R7#image=1

Maureen McCormick's 2009 memoir, Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice, is an eye-opener. Florence was naughty. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, so far so good! However; I'm wondering what HGTV is going to eventually DO with the BB House when all the reno dust finally gets settled. I seriously doubt just keeping it as a reunion spot for surviving cast members until the last one heads to the  Sunshine Day in sky would be worth all the time, trouble and expense the network's put into it!  

Yes, Miss Plumb now has an uncanny resemblance to the late Miss Henderson but I can't help but think that Miss McCormick is closest to their late TV mom in the feistiness department!  

I read HGTV plans to keep it for the foreseeable future and have already done 2 Christmas specials  for HGTV and Food Network there.

It may be also used  for corporate events

• Useful 7
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Just have to say Mid-century modern is not at all the same as Seventies style. 

In this case, the house was built in 1959 and the architecture is mid century - but the furnishings look like a hodge podge, with mid century elements like the dining set combined with a bunch of late-60s stuff (when the sets were built). 

The 70s were mostly seen in clothing, hair, shoes, etc. - and HGTV used the bright flower power vibe in their promos. Interesting to see all of these eras overlapping, since that’s really how we live them.

Edited by nexxie
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I read HGTV plans to keep it for the foreseeable future and have already done 2 Christmas specials  for HGTV and Food Network there.

Wonder how the neighbors like that. 

Edited by nexxie
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Just have to say Mid-century modern is not at all the same as Seventies style. 

70's crap came after the usually very nice mid-century.  

6 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

How are they getting away with that in a residential area? I'd hate to be their neighbors. Are there any articles about what the town thinks, it would be interesting.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

How are they getting away with that in a residential area? I'd hate to be their neighbors. Are there any articles about what the town thinks, it would be interesting.

The neighbors were annoyed by the passerbyers for years. Now, it could be a nightmare. That said, I would have bought it for the original million plus they were asking for if I had the money. I would have done all the exterior work and fixed the inside as normal though. I don't think I would have lived there but it would be fun to own.

• Love 4

I don't know. Maybe it's because I grew up watching the show in syndication when I was wee and when it returned to syndication after cable, but I don't find any of the actors who played the Brady Kids, inauthentic or fake or sourpusses. 

I've never watched HGTV or any shows about flipping houses, so I don't know if the twins who host this show, are normally like this or not. But it's those two that I find..."fake" if that's the right word. Everyone else? I find their enthusiasm and excitement parallels my own. And I wish I lived there to watch this unfold.

Clearly, all of this wouldn't be done in one show. I'm in it for the duration. IF the house, when it's done, is turned into a tourist attraction again, which they said it was--that was the reason for that white masonry-ish wall that they tore down--then you bet your ass I'magonnago and be a tourist to see it.

Sorry neighbors.

• Love 20

I went to Google Maps to look at the neighborhood.  There is only one neighbor to the left and then green space that is fenced off. There are no neighbors behind because the house is on the LA River. It was interesting that when the most recent Google Map photo was taken it was mid-renovation because there are fences around the house and people sitting outside but you can see the newly added window and boarded up window. 

I loved the episode and can't wait for the rest! On some level, I do feel badly for the Brady kids.  They never really got to be anybody else. 

I know they're running a contest for a viewer and their friends (?) to spend the night there. That seems like it would be fun! I would love to tour it. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, joanne3482 said:

On some level, I do feel badly for the Brady kids.  They never really got to be anybody else. 

I think only Barry, Maureen and Christopher ever did other projects post The Brady Bunch. Maureen was a regular on The Love Boat and Fantasy Island. Then she disappeared for almost 15? years. She had that short-lived sitcom about a genie? But we learned she had some issues which she revealed in her book and when she appeared on DWTS. Barry showed up on Three's Company, did a stint as a blackmailing yoga instructor on General Hospital, victim on Murder, She Wrote.  But yes, they'll always be known/famous for being The Brady Kids, something that I think Barry, out of all them, has embraced with joy. I really, really have to get his book, "Growing Up Brady." He's the ONLY one that appears on MeTV, telling the viewers to watch him on The Brady Bunch.

• Love 12

Eve Plumb did a few things immediately post Brady Bunch (Dawn Portrait of a teenage Runaway comes to mind) and more recently I recall she played the mother in the sitcom Fudge - and was very good.  I think of all the "kids" she was the one who could have had a real career in acting but it just didn't really work out.  Not sure if it's because people couldn't see her as anyone other than Jan Brady or if it's just the breaks and there are a lot of talented actors who never get more than a few decent roles.  Probably a bit of both.

I always have some sympathy for kids actors who end up careerless in Hollywood.  But only so much.  At least they had their moment in the sun.  The ones who are grateful for that and move on are the ones who end up happy adults.

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

Last time I recall seeing Christopher Knight was on The Surreal Life where he hooked up with a model that he wound up marrying.  

And the last time I saw him, he was one of the spokespeople for hair plugs for men. I can't recall the name of the product, though. And of course, Barry and Christopher were the only Brady Kids to do a cameo in the Brady Bunch movies.

On topic,

First, I never knew that the interior shots of the show were on a sound stage! I knew, of course that their backyard was not real grass, but astroturf, but the patio looked like a real patio, leading into the family room and kitchen!

I wonder if they'll also build a doghouse? Because even after Tiger was never seen again, that doghouse remained. I think.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think only Barry, Maureen and Christopher ever did other projects post The Brady Bunch. Maureen was a regular on The Love Boat and Fantasy Island. Then she disappeared for almost 15? years. She had that short-lived sitcom about a genie? But we learned she had some issues which she revealed in her book and when she appeared on DWTS. Barry showed up on Three's Company, did a stint as a blackmailing yoga instructor on General Hospital, victim on Murder, She Wrote.  But yes, they'll always be known/famous for being The Brady Kids, something that I think Barry, out of all them, has embraced with joy. I really, really have to get his book, "Growing Up Brady." He's the ONLY one that appears on MeTV, telling the viewers to watch him on The Brady Bunch.

Eve was on Murder, She Wrote, too, in Jessica Behind Bars (one of my all-time favorite episodes).

I read an interview with Barry a few years ago and he was quite charming and seems like a very joyful person.  Also, he likes cats so that immediately gets a thumbs up from me.  🙂

The kitchen episode is one I'm looking forward to watching.  I only ever watched The Brady Bunch in re-runs but, aside from the colors, always thought it was quite modern with the stainless steel appliances, large island and eat-in space.  I'd take all that counter space even in green and orange.

• Love 11

When I first heard about this show, I thought they’d take out some walls to open up the kitchen and match the interior to the house’s mid century architecture, since that’s a popular style now and the hgtv audience would love it.

What they’re doing is interesting because it brought back the cast and treats everyone to a big dose of nostalgia - but from a design perspective, it’s not as satisfying imo.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, nexxie said:

When I first heard about this show, I thought they’d take out some walls to open up the kitchen and match the interior to the house’s mid century architecture, since that’s a popular style now and the hgtv audience would love it.

Oh god if they had decided to go for open concept I'd have to bail even for the nostalgia factor of seeing the Brady kids one more time I just couldn't have handled that!!

• Love 5
Just now, Homily said:

Oh god if they had decided to go for open concept I'd have to bail even for the nostalgia factor of seeing the Brady kids one more time I just couldn't have handled that!!

I am stupid. I don't know what back splash is, or any of the terms used when renovating, so what does 'open concept' mean? I'm too lazy to look it up. Thank you!😜😁

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And the last time I saw him, he was one of the spokespeople for hair plugs for men. I can't recall the name of the product, though. And of course, Barry and Christopher were the only Brady Kids to do a cameo in the Brady Bunch movies.

Bosley.

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I am stupid. I don't know what back splash is, or any of the terms used when renovating, so what does 'open concept' mean? I'm too lazy to look it up. Thank you!😜😁

Basically the entire living area of the house is one big room.  Kitcha-living-dining room.  Watch any flip show and almost without exception the first thing they do is "tear down these walls"!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I still got that theme song stuck in my head. 😂

Which version?  There were two versions of the theme song:  one sung by some no-name guys and then the version sung by the kids, themselves.

They did do a road show briefly.

• Useful 1
47 minutes ago, b2H said:

Which version?  There were two versions of the theme song:  one sung by some no-name guys and then the version sung by the kids, themselves.

They did do a road show briefly.

Version sung by the kids. 

I had recently moved and was unpacking some boxes in the garage when I started playing 'Its a sunshine Day, Keep On and Good time Music' 😂

• Love 3
6 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Interesting read about filming in LA:

https://www.filmindependent.org/blog/need-know-shooting-la-permitting-primer/

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Homily said:

A lot of mid century kitchens were galley style and already partially open to the living area, seeming like one space because of the shared vaulted ceiling. I love the look and often go to open houses just to see the redesigns.

• Useful 1
22 hours ago, Frost said:

Why would big plastic grapes ever be in style?  Seriously.  Why?!?!? 

They did a lot of drugs in the 60's.

As to the impact on the neighbors, I seem to recall a statement at the beginning, where they were describing the challenges of the project, that they wouldn't/couldn't turn it into a tourist destination because it was in a neighborhood.

Speaking of lookalikes, I kept thinking Bobby Brady (Mike Lookinland) resembled Jeb Bush whenever he would smile, especially when he would laugh and tilt his head. 

• LOL 5
On 9/9/2019 at 10:52 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Same here! Even though I have the full series on dvd with that ‘70s shag cover!🤪🤪😄😄

And Maureen was wrong when she said that Mike and Carol were the first married couple to sleep in the same bed. Nope. Ozzie and Harriet were.

Not to mention Samantha and Darrin Stephens, post-O&H and pre-BB.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

I wonder if they may turn it into a Brady museum and/or gift shop, like what was done here in Cleveland to the house used for the exteriors for A Christmas Story.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I wonder if they'll also build a doghouse? Because even after Tiger was never seen again, that doghouse remained. I think.

They did build a new doghouse. Susan and Mike were seen with it in the teaser for the next episode. Funny story...per Susan in a book called Bradymania, the doghouse was kept long after Tiger was gone because a studio light fell and burned a hole in the backyard turf. The crew guys simply put the doghouse on top of the hole!! 😂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
On 9/10/2019 at 11:21 AM, alexa said:

My understanding is that HGTV is selling the house when they are done.  I think I read that somewhere around the time they bought the house.  The plan was to restore it for the show/the network, and all of the Brady fans, assuming that someone that loves the Bradys will buy it.  

Honestly, it would be kind of fun to live in the Brady designed house 🙂

I'm shocked.  I figured they would try to rent it out like an Air B&B.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Right! She also played Blair's half/step? sister on The Facts of Life, who decided she was going to be a nun.

Yes!  She was Meg and inspired Jo to consider becoming a nun.  Great two-parter.  

I think Eve continued to do things here and there but moved to Laguna Beach and became an artist.  Not sure if she's still there.  

• Love 5

I'm loving this, partly for the nostalgia and partly for seeing the challenge of the recreation.

I think. Heist Knight is my favourite, but they all seem to be into it. Did they have great careers post-Brady? No, but that applies to many, many stars of popular tv shows. That they've been able to milk this thing for 50 years is better than most. Also, Chris Knight seems like he could be an Osmond.

As for open concept, I'd say the living room area is fairly open. Many houses of that era would have had the living room and dining room as separate wallled off rooms; for the Brady's, it was a big open room.

The mid century modern look isn't my jam, but I appreciate it when it's well done. I do wonder how those spindly mid century furniture legs hold up to today's, um, larger population. The average 2019 person weighs a lot more than the average 1965 person; I don't think those little couch legs will hold up. That said, the '70s esthetic was mostly unfortunate looking (tm Elle Woods). 

As for the grapes, were they plastic, though? I assumed they were glass or ceramic.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

Yes!  She was Meg and inspired Jo to consider becoming a nun.  Great two-parter.  

I think Eve continued to do things here and there but moved to Laguna Beach and became an artist.  Not sure if she's still there.  

Eve lives in New York City now I believe.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, nexxie said:

A lot of mid century kitchens were galley style and already partially open to the living area, seeming like one space because of the shared vaulted ceiling. I love the look and often go to open houses just to see the redesigns.

My parents built a "California ranch-style" house in 1955 for $10K. It had a galley kitchen open to the living room with a dining area in between. No vaulted ceiling, but huge window in the front, flat roof, and redwood siding. With three bedrooms and one bath, it totaled about 1000 square feet.

This is after we sold it in 1986 and it was updated.

George St Kitchen.jpg

George St Living Rm.jpg

• Love 2
21 hours ago, suomi said:

We were stylin' - we had green, orange and purple table grapes during the '60s. (All in different rooms, thank god). Not plastic, they were glass and quite heavy; we went to Palm Springs about 6 times a year and my mom found the grapes there on different trips. 

Here's a forum and here's an article about those grapes!

• Love 1