Type keyword(s) to search

The People on the Couch(es)

(edited)

I can never remember the peoples' names (and instead think of them in my head as "the Persian sisters," "the three gay guys," etc.).  But, I thought it would be useful to have a thread to talk about the people generally. 

Here's a handy summary of the people (which I compiled by going through the Bravo site, copying and pasting from various pages, then fixing the numerous grammatical errors [what's up with that Bravo?]):

Amanda and Kenya:  Sisters and Roommates
Amanda:  A nanny and caregiver.  Amanda can never hide her true feelings as her "over-expressive face" always lets you know what she's really thinking.  She's an expert on thrift store shopping and on every trip finds a bargain!
Kenya:  An event coordinator whose nickname is "MacGyver" because she can make anything look fabulous.  She has several alter egos, each with a name.  Kenya changes her look to match her alter ego.
Couch:  L-shaped to fit all of Kenya's alter egos.

Blake, Scott, and Emerson:  BFFs
Blake:  A singer/songwriter and former child star of "Full House."  He is a wine connoisseur, foodie, and an occasional go-go dancer.
Scott:  A writer and TV host, a self-proclaimed "former fat kid." His family owned a bar when he was growing up, although he's never had a drop of alcohol.  Opened for Barry Manilow in Las Vegas.
Emerson:  He recently released a film called "Southern Baptist Sissies" that he produced and stars in.  He describes it as "the gayest movie you've ever heard of." Unlike his foodie friends, he "eats like a five year old."
Couch:  A white model that lives on the edge – spills be damned.

Cathy and Destiney:  Sisters
Cathy:  Hard-working mother who has two jobs – one being a supervisor/bartender at a nightclub managed by sister/boss Destiney.  Certified to make a citizen's arrest.
Destiney:  This Persian beauty is into classic cars, knives, firearms, archery, and fencing.  General manager at the nightclub her sister Cathy also works.  Certified to make a citizen's arrest.
Couch:  Extra pillows mean extra comfort.

The Egber Family
Andrew:  Father and financial adviser.  Once cleaned Barbara Streisand's Porta-Potti at a ski event.
Sam:  Tested out of high school and currently attending college at 18 years old.  When he doesn't like something, he gets thirsty.
Jack:  This 15-year-old plays the ukelele and attends school online.  He is a self-proclaimed "Mama's Boy."
Julie:  Mother and homemaker obsessed with Pinterest.  Has been married to Andrew for 22 years.
Couch:  Actually a bed.

Julie and Brandy:  BFFs and Writing Partners
Julie:  Before doing standup comedy, Julie was a temp, but was always fired because she hates authority.
Brandy:  Happily married for seven years.  At age 12, Brandy worked at Chuck E. Cheese.  Her mom had to forge her birth certificate to say she was 13 so she could legally apply.
Couch:  Love seat for platonic friends.

The Resnick Family
Nicole:  The jokester of the family and loves to prank her sisters.
Rachel:  Attended the University of Judaism in Bel Air for two years.  She is a control freak and must always hold the remote control.
Sarah:  Has a creative spirit and is passionate about fashion and design.
Joe:  A gaming consultant who realized early on that with no sons, he might as well join in on silly girly fun including busting out in spontaneous song and dance.  He once taught himself how to give his daughters henna tattoos.
Couch:  Also a lady, so Joe actually has four girls on his hands.

Teddi, Ayn, and Sue:  Neighbors/Friends
Teddi:  A world-renowned painter and has traveled to over 100 countries.
Ayn:  The loudest of the group, which she attributes to her career as a teacher where she had to yell over a classroom full of kids.
Sue:  Loves to do jigsaw puzzles, especially while watching TV.
Couch:  Red like the ladies' passion for popcorn, knitting, and of course, television.

The Zeno Family
Lamont:  An artist, was signed to Motown Records in the early '90s as part of a group "Mind," standing for "Made in Detroit." Princella has dubbed him "The Snack King."
Princella:  An esthetician and choreographer, says she has been in love with Lamont since she was 5 years old.
Rashawn:  An artist/singer/song writer who feels he is a bit sheltered.  His parents say he is welcome to go to a night club-as long as they can tag along! Princella has dubbed him "The Snack Prince."
Couch:  Supportive of its artistic family.

The Palmer-Carter Family
Aaron:  This 17-year-old is very involved in dance and plays violin at his high school.
Alan:  A producer.  His past jobs include a singer for Chippendales, Corcus on the TV's "Mighty Morphin Power Ranger" and Michelangelo in the live action show "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."
Jim:  A hospital administrator.  With his family, he helps host classic movie nights together in their home theater.
Couch:  Also sang in Chippendales.

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 6
(edited)

I wanted to post pictures, but after trying for all of about 45 seconds.... I gave up.  I'm not sure if it was user error (me!) or certain sites/functions being blocked on our system at work. 

I haven't seen the Palmer-Carter family on the show since one of the earliest episodes, so I'm not sure if they're involved any more.

My favorites (roughly in order):

1.  Julie and Brandy

2.  Blake, Scott and Emerson

3.  The Egber Family

4.  Amanda and Kenya/The Zeno Family (basically a tie)

then....everyone else.

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 2

I need that wine glass sippy cup that the older woman who sits in the middle has. It's a wine glass with a stem INSIDE of a sippy cup with a lid. Genius!

• Love 1

I need that wine glass sippy cup that the older woman who sits in the middle has. It's a wine glass with a stem INSIDE of a sippy cup with a lid. Genius!

I thought I saw the Zeno dad, uses a "glass" that was a Mason jar on a stem......like a jar wine glass.

THAT was a conversation piece.

Why does Julie look familiar to me? Was she on another reality show??

I asked that question once too.  I think I was told she was on that gay comedy show that was on Logo.  But you're right . . . we've seen her before.

• Love 1

I hope I'm not getting my hopes up too much but I have noticed in the previews that the three daughters and their father are not featured at all.  Can it be that the producers listened to those of us who pointed out how little they added and how annoying they are? 

I hope I'm not getting my hopes up too much but I have noticed in the previews that the three daughters and their father are not featured at all.  Can it be that the producers listened to those of us who pointed out how little they added and how annoying they are? 

You mean the Eyebrow Sisters?  I've just discovered this show -- how could I have missed a whole SEASON, I *flove* this show! -- and I find them the least interesting.

• Love 1

I was watching Teens React to Facebook Parenting: For the Trouble Teen. A video on Youtube from 2012. Guess who shows up? Sam, the older son from the Egber Family (the family who watch t.v. in bed). He made reference to his family, saying he had three brothers. 

Yeah, no. I've never heard of Brandi Glanville but wasn't able to, like, sit through, like, that, even for, like, Julie and Brandy. I'd be interested if anybody cares to summarize, though.  :)

Yeah, I'd have to be paid a hellofalot to listen to Brandi Glanville (from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills).  She's nasty.

• Love 3

I saw Julie and Brandy in the audience at the Wendy Williams show this week.  I guess neither Wendy or her staff watch the show because they tend to point out audience members who are also reality show personalities. 

After reading the descriptions of the couch hosts above, I'm pretty certain it's Julie who is my crush.

Yes Julie, YOU. I've been hetero all my life but I'm a changed woman now.

And fyi, I'm a professional (as in retired veterinary tech) pet sitter. I'm positive i saw Peanut winking at me in that latest episode! I love me some cute chihuahuas!

• Love 2

After reading the descriptions of the couch hosts above, I'm pretty certain it's Julie who is my crush.

Yes Julie, YOU. I've been hetero all my life but I'm a changed woman now.

And fyi, I'm a professional (as in retired veterinary tech) pet sitter. I'm positive i saw Peanut winking at me in that latest episode! I love me some cute chihuahuas!

I am an old asexual crone these days, but I'd still leg wrestle you for Julie or the doggies.  I used to be hetero, but Julie is definitely my type, and I'm indiscriminate when it comes to critters.   ;-)

• Love 2

How did I manage to get through life without this show until yesterday?!?!? (Kicking Y&R to the curb has really broadened my tv horizons.) And there's a cast member named PRINCELLA so it's automatically going on my dvr.

Julie and Brandy and their dogs are my faves, as well as the three guys. "Don't you think he's a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket?" "No.... I just don't think they're very fancy sandwiches." haaaa

• Love 3

How did I manage to get through life without this show until yesterday?!?!? (Kicking Y&R to the curb has really broadened my tv horizons.) And there's a cast member named PRINCELLA so it's automatically going on my dvr.

Julie and Brandy and their dogs are my faves, as well as the three guys. "Don't you think he's a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket?" "No.... I just don't think they're very fancy sandwiches." haaaa

OMG, glowlights - I had NO idea you were one of the "uninitiated" (or, should that be "indoctrinated"?)!  I don't know if previous episodes are available to those in the know, but if they are, treat yourself to an afternoon of delight.  This is SUCH a fun and rewarding show - I have enjoyed ever single episode, which isn't something one can usually say about most TV fare.

Anyhoo, welcome to the inexplicable phenomena of watching people watching TeeVee!   It is TOTALLY addictive.  :-)

• Love 2

walnutqueen, I saw two eps yesterday and am already addicted! (PTV is the only place where I will admit to watching Bravo during the day - lol). Did you see the one with the exorcism and the pageant coach? Lordy this is some FINE television...

• Love 1

walnutqueen, I saw two eps yesterday and am already addicted! (PTV is the only place where I will admit to watching Bravo during the day - lol). Did you see the one with the exorcism and the pageant coach? Lordy this is some FINE television...

I am PROUD and LOUD about having seen and loved every single episode of this show since the start, so YESSSSS.   ;-)

And it is the ONLY decent (dare I say, GREAT?) show Bravo has to offer.  #noshame

I saw a couple of previews last night for a "Vanderpump Rules" After Show that's going to be airing on Friday night (is there really a demand for such a show?).....and it looks like Julie and Brandy are hosting it.  

• Love 2

Thanks for the head's up about Julie and Brandi being on the VPR after show; I tuned in just to see them. They seemed a bit restrained by the format, I think it would be different to see them comment on the show, but not with the cast themselves. And I missed their dogs. But, it was good to see them. I liked when Julie was teasing the sort of whore, Lala, about going along with the group Lala takes to Italy, where the young, attractive, willing girls get paid to hang out, "because their missing getting paid by their jobs back home". She was saying this to Lala's face, and I think Lala said she would take Julie to Italy, so she was a good sport.

• Love 1

Does anyone else's gaydar ping for the black son and the other son who sits next to his father with his brother and mother?

I think I recall the Xeno kid getting all eager and intense when nearly naked women were on some show. But I cracked up when the Egber dad talked about his boys meeting women—they're going to have plenty of girlfriends, but I don't think they're going to be boyfriends to any of them.

In this article, Sam Egber self-identifies as interested in college girls: Sam & Jack Egber Land a Spot in 2016's Nice Jewish Guys Calendar

• Love 1

Oh no! Hope he gets back on his feet soon but I can't help but laugh as I can't wait to show this to my husband. My stepson has sent us several videos of him flexing on his hoverboard at school and hubby can't wait to try it when he's home for winter break. Maybe Lamont's misfortune is just the cautionary tale he needs.

• Love 1

I am going crazy trying to figure out who recommended this show to me because I assumed it was my daughter (I don't talk to many people) but she said it wasn't her ... however, thrilled to have landed on it and thrilled that there is this great primer to all the couchers here!

But it was funny because yesterday I surfed onto a Vanderpump Rules marathon and got sucked in for a few hours (have never watched it before but don't judge ... I have the flu and was so miserable it seemed like the perfect mindless distraction) ... so I was surprised to see Julie and Brandy on the Aftershow. 

Which came first, then? Being Couchers signed to host the show? Or getting the Couch gig because they were already reality TV stars?

I love the three older ladies. And, by the way, wine sippy cups are not just for those of us of a certain age ... when my daughter was her best friend's MOH last spring, all of the girls at the bachelorette party (done at one of those paint your own pottery places) got bedazzled long-stem wine sippy cups for the occasion!

• Love 2

Yesterday I surfed onto a Vanderpump Rules marathon and got sucked in for a few hours (have never watched it before but don't judge ... I have the flu and was so miserable it seemed like the perfect mindless distraction) ... so I was surprised to see Julie and Brandy on the Aftershow.

Which came first, then? Being Couchers signed to host the show? Or getting the Couch gig because they were already reality TV stars?

Julie Goldman was on The Big Gay Sketch Show ten years ago. It had Rosie O'Donnell and Chaz Bono at the end like Statler & Waldorf from The Muppet Show, and Kate McKinnon, who's now on Saturday Night Live.

Then came The People's Couch in 2014 and the "Vanderpump Rules" After Show in 2015. Julie's acted on TV shows like The Sopranos, Bones, and Weeds. Brandy Howard was on an episode of Just Shoot Me. They both wrote for Fashion Police.

Edited to add info about the couple who replaced the Egbers: http://www.bravotv.com/the-peoples-couch/photos/the-people-of-peoples-couch/item/10826516

Budd: an emotional computer technician who isn't afraid to admit he's high maintenance and wants to spend minute with his girlfriend Mackenna.

Mackenna: a Big Brother-obsessed saleswoman who knows odd scientific facts, like how mites live in your eyelashes. (This freaks Budd out!)

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

I am going crazy trying to figure out who recommended this show to me because I assumed it was my daughter (I don't talk to many people) but she said it wasn't her ... however, thrilled to have landed on it and thrilled that there is this great primer to all the couchers here!

Welcome, PamelaMaeSnap! Most of the posters here love the show and have a lot of fun watching.

• Love 1

Just saw an article in The Hollywood Reporter about upcoming pilots and this one caught my eye:

Logline: An unapologetic lesbian and her best friend, a neurotic straight male, navigate their dysfunctional, co-dependent friendship and the world of dating.
Cast: Andy Ridings, Julie Goldman

• Love 2

I've been watching the British version as well which is four episodes in I think.  And it amazes me how many different groups of couchies there are on that one compared to this one.  So after watching the two last night I had to go wiki and compare.  The British version has 18 different sets of varying size to this which has 8.  The Australian has 10 I think.  So it is a bit odd that with still a much smaller field they picked these two.

I'm finding the bigger British cast does have the advantage of spreading the annoying ones a bit thin.  But last night's show's reactions to the Tattoo show proved even 18 groups are not too many when they are all hilarious in their reactions.

I don't mind the new guy but I can't stand the new girl. She's too fidgety. She's always getting up to get drinks, go to the bathroom, go off-screen for something, fiddling with the snacks, dropping chocolate, etc. Like, sit still woman! I think she's too aware of the cameras. I feel like the couple must be friends with someone in production who always told them "You're so funny! You should be on TV!" and now they are trying to act all cute and coy for their big shot.

Emerson, Scott and Blake are still my faves. They just seem like real, close guy friends watching some TV. And I loved Emerson calling himself the brains, Blake the beauty and Scott the brawn! Ha!

• Love 2