Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

raven
  • Start Topic

Anyone know when the new season starts? I'm still interested in watching because the folks who are getting the "make over" are/have been, so endearing. Still not feeling a strong connection or love for this new fab 5 but I do love the concept of helping people with make overs on their looks, homes etc. 

On 1/1/2019 at 1:37 PM, chenoa333 said:

I do like these new guys. Individually. As people. But I'm still not feeling the love I had for the originals.

I don't know how I feel about their talents relative to the OG crew (with the exception of Karamo, who blows Jai out of the water on every level), but I honestly do think that as a gestalt, I like these guys more.

Of course, some of that may be due to experiencing this the first time in my mid-20s versus my early 40s.

• Love 8

I'm one episode in, so I'm not sure if I can judge yet.  However, I've NEVER seen a woman who can't hold a fork/knife properly!  But who am I to judge?  I DO find it sad that some people feel "uncomfortable" in "nice" settings.  Antoni is right, people have to get over it and stop thinking that "nice" means elitist.  There's a reason why some people joke about "slumming" - it's to play down their upbringing, which is probably not even all that "elitist" to begin with!!  

• Love 4

Am I the only one wondering when Jonathan is suppose to be getting his make over?  

I love him but he’s really starting to look worse then the people they help.  I feel like he should take some of his own advice towards his self. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Am I the only one wondering when Jonathan is suppose to be getting his make over?  

I love him but he’s really starting to look worse then the people they help.  I feel like he should take some of his own advice towards his self. 

At least Jonathan isn't the one handling food.  Because I'd be worried.  And I agree.  I think he needs to...shower. 

• Love 2

I've never seen an episode of the original (was in elementary/middle school when they were popular). Just started watching the reboot since season 3 is set in my hometown of Kansas City. Having a blast watching all of the locations around town and figuring out which of them I pass through on a daily basis. Loved the first three episodes and can't wait to keep going with the rest of them. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, starri said:

It took me a while to warm up to Jody, but I did eventually. 

I have nothing in common with her but I really understood her.   Sometimes it's all home/work/home/work and it makes it tough to break out and do something different. 

I just finished watching the one with the camp counselor dad.  He lived in that stinky camper when the camp gave him a little cabin!  He really did seem to want to improve though.  I was really touched by his relationship with his son, and his boss at the camp obviously thinks he's great, so I hope he's working his way out of his personal rut and stays on track.

• Love 3

I power watched all of the episodes, I love this show so much. I have to admit that certain things make me tear up on this series. Jonathan may look nasty, but honey that guy can really do hair, and I mean anybody's hair. I tell ya I love it that they basically redo the entire house of their make over person, this show is spending the big bucks. The fella that does the decorating is fabulous. Oh, and I still totally lust after Tan. Ha. This was a very good season and will touch your heart. 

• Love 9

I think Joey was the perfect episode to encapsulate why I feel like I think the sum of these guys is greater than the OG guys.  As much as I liked those guys, I can't imagine them taking the hero's lifestyle into account the same way the new guys do.  Joey himself made that point.

And wow, he cleaned up well.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, loki310 said:

The Jones BBQ episode made me tear up so much my dang contact fell out. All the guys were on their A game with this one. 😊

I think I fell a little bit in love with the Jones Sisters. 

• Love 4

I'm more than half way through, I think, just finished the sloth episode. Has Antoni always done the weird sad smolder thing? I'm finding it very odd this season. 

14 hours ago, raven said:

I just finished watching the one with the camp counselor dad.  He lived in that stinky camper when the camp gave him a little cabin!  He really did seem to want to improve though.  I was really touched by his relationship with his son, and his boss at the camp obviously thinks he's great, so I hope he's working his way out of his personal rut and stays on track.

That dad had such a great smile. Once it came out, it was, yeah, now I get what your girlfriend sees in you. I have to admit that I sincerely hoped one of those infrequent showers came before they visited the clothing store. 

13 hours ago, loki310 said:

The Jones BBQ episode made me tear up so much my dang contact fell out. All the guys were on their A game with this one. 😊

My favorite part of their makeover were the practicalities - the AC, the dark tees with logos that wouldn't show stains that much.

Oh, and the niece getting her aunt to smile wide. 

ETA: Apparently I fell asleep last night and missed two episodes, Black Girl Magic and Elrod & Sons. And they're probably my favorites. I teared up multiple times during the latter and am so glad they left out the hip tip at the end of that episode. The dad has an excellent sense of humor and the kids are very cute. 

Thinking on it, I really love how respectful these guys are towards the people they help and how for someone it's exactly right to be on their own at that particular stage in their lives. It's never go out, meet someone and pair up. It's always get out there and let people see how great you are. 

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 13
16 hours ago, loki310 said:

I started sobbing when Mary got her teeth fixed.  If I lived in Kansas City, I would 100% go to the amazingly kind dentist.

Tan being so body-positive...I don't even have the words.

I'm buying a bottle of their sauce.

• Love 20

The Jones BBQ episode made me tear up so much my dang contact fell out. 

I'm only caught up thru episode three but I agree, it was easily my fav so far. I'm going online to see if I can buy their sauce to support them. They're hardworking ladies who deserve everything good. I was wondering about the sitting area--doesn't a place have to have a permit to go from what was basically a glorified food truck to an actual business with seating on premises? Just curious.

Here's where to buy it: https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/03/226387/queer-eye-jones-sisters-barbecue-sauce-where-to-buy

As for the new Fab Five vs. the old. I recently watched a couple of eps of the old show online and I think they had a tendency to be bitchy bordering on cruel to some of the clients about the way they've been living. These are a kinder, gentler bunch IMO. I'm all on board with them. I like the delving into their own pasts to better connect with their clients. 

Edited by BonnieD
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, starri said:

I adore this about him. It’s always about dressing the body you have the best way possible, not about changing the body, muchless shaming.

• Love 11

Between the Jones sisters episode and watching the Ricky Gervais show, After Life, my weekend of Netflix binging is sending me to work with red, swollen eyeballs tomorrow. So much emotion!

While the Fab 5 seemed way too camera-conscious this time around, I enjoyed the season as a whole. I appreciate the positivity and compassion, even when they’re excessively mugging 

• Love 5

Bobby is as sooooo good with Jess.

It was nice to see him getting a chance to engage and he was fabulous at it.

And I always really like how Jonathon asks for permission to do things.

• Love 10

I loved the original and it worked for its time and place. And I love this version too. The reboot in particular is not so much about getting a makeover as it is about growth. I've only just started in on season three but I'm headin' for a the binge tonight! 

Edited by Lillith
  • Love 8

None of us mentioned Bruley yet, who is super cute.  Though I think they said he's not their dog but their neighbor's?

I binged them all.   Some really touching moments for me were when the Jones sister gets her new teeth; Robert (who was compared to Gimli) listening to Karamo's recording of his self-deprecating comments; almost everything about Jess and the other Rob (the widower).  Thomas, who just turned 21, reminded me a lot of my nephew, who is the same age.  My nephew has a social circle but they both have the same ultra quiet way of speaking and trying to kind of stay in the background. 

It seems like the Fab 5 are more comfortable with each other; I really enjoyed all of the driving segments.  Karamo is fantastic and Bobby is so talented.  I wish Tan would start hating the damn French tuck like I do, though.

Updates from S1 and 2.

• Love 6

From that Apartment Therapy interview:

AT: In general, how long do you have to transform a hero’s home?

BB: We meet them on Tuesday morning. I usually get the spaces by Tuesday afternoon, and I have to have it back and done by mid-morning on Friday. 

Wow, I really assumed the "week" on this show was a reality TV week, so more like several weeks. I know his makeovers are more cosmetic than structural, but still. 

Really enjoyed this season. Almost every episode I said, "Now this is the best episode of the season," only for it to be upstaged. In the end, I liked Jones Bar-B-Q and Jess the best, but there wasn't really a dud this season.

My only complaint is that it seemed like some of Karamo's therapeutic metaphors have become a little too tortured. I felt embarrassed for Thomas having to knock down that "emotional wall." I realize just talking about your feelings may not make for such exciting TV, but still.  

• Love 4

I binged and I’m glad. They were all good, each special in their own way—which is the growth of the show, IMO. Each of the guys tailors their contribution in a way that’s insightful and the “thank yous” feel not only efusive and heartfelt, but not self-conscious. If the guys are mugging a bit more, I don’t care. There’s some real kindness at work here. 

I’m surprised it’s a real week, primarily because it looked like Mary had an extraction, I thought that would have to heal before what looked like a not-temporary replacement was fitted. Not that I care, that episode was inspired.

Hey, Jonathan, sweetie, check the opening scene for the series and pick up a razor, m’kay?

• Love 6

I’m prettt sure that dental visit required some reality TV magic because no way is a dentist going to do a major procedure on a brand new patient on the first visit. But I was really touched that she got a new smile! I hope that the new outdoor seating hasnt gotten stolen, since they mentioned that their sign had been previously stolen.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Renee in CA said:

I’m prettt sure that dental visit required some reality TV magic because no way is a dentist going to do a major procedure on a brand new patient on the first visit. But I was really touched that she got a new smile! I hope that the new outdoor seating hasnt gotten stolen, since they mentioned that their sign had been previously stolen.

Definitely. QE probably made the arrangements for Mary to get some appointments ahead of filming, to meet the dentist and get the molds for the teeth done. It's TV magic but I don't think it took away from how moved she was by the end result.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, retrograde said:

My only complaint is that it seemed like some of Karamo's therapeutic metaphors have become a little too tortured. I felt embarrassed for Thomas having to knock down that "emotional wall." I realize just talking about your feelings may not make for such exciting TV, but still.  

Yeah that scene just felt weird to me. 

Thomas was such a sweet guy, i almost felt like The fab 5 and his sister were a little too hard on him because of how he spends his free time playing video games and hanging out at home Instead of going to parties or clubs. 

I could see it being a problem if Thomas was being a messy slob or lazy loser with no job. But Thomas wasn’t that type of guy,he was clean, he was a college graduate & had a really good job.

If anything they should be proud of Thomas for being such a responsible young man. It’s so easy to fall into peer pressure in those environments, which can lead to getting involved with the wrong crowd, getting in trouble, doing drugs,excessive drinking. Etc

Obviously it’s a good idea to check in and chat with him from time to time to make sure his mental state of mind is good,other wise let him play his video games and enjoy his hobbies without judgment.

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Love 5

I agree with the posters who felt as if Karamo's wall thing with Thomas was too much. I like all of the Fab 5 and really think they are into wholistically helping people, but as an introvert I fear if someone ever nominated me for this show that I will walk away pissed. Being an introvert is not a character flaw in and of itself and I am not sure if the Fab 5 recognizes the nuance in that. Also, I really hate the dance interludes.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Thomas was such a sweet guy, i almost felt like The fab 5 and his sister were a little too hard on him because of how he spends his free time playing video games and hanging out at home Instead of going to parties or clubs. 

I could see it being a problem if Thomas was being a messy slob or lazy loser with no job. But Thomas wasn’t that type of guy,he was clean, he was a college graduate & had a really good job.

I agree, although I will trust that his sister, who seemed great and very caring, knows him best and if she thinks he really needed a nudge, that he did.

However, I did find the social situation with the anime club he was forced into a bit humiliating. I know they present these things as "These fun people just happen to be meeting here today and we brought our guy along to see if he can fit in." But really, the show surely either organizes the whole event or at the very least, must be telling everyone there first "We're trying to get this loner to interact with other humans so we'll be filming all your conversations with him today." I don't see how the setup can possibly improve your self esteem. 

He's not the only one who's had to do these awkward "adult play dates" either. They always seem uncomfortable for everyone involved. I far preferred seeing Thomas hang out in his actual (well, his sister's) social circle.

• Love 3

Was the shower (technically speaking, should it even have been called a shower?  This is a second child for one of them.  Some people would call it a sprinkle) legitimately one week before she delivered?  Who does that?  I get that she had a scheduled induction (or C-section) possibly before the 40th week, but shouldn’t showers be...earlier?  Like at 30-32 weeks?  Anything after 35 weeks is a little...close.  But that’s just me.

As for the season as a whole, my favourite was of the Jones sister and my least favourite was Thomas.  I mean, he looked great, but I’m not sure if his confidence really increased.  

• Love 1

Okay, I’m watching the baby shower one...

I’m so interested in Bobby’s story. He drops these little tidbits about his life - grew up in a small rural town, family super religious, adopted, disowned after coming out at 15 or 16, was homeless, struggles with depression... He’s had such a tough road, but he’s managed to be this thoughtful and kind and incredibly talented creative person. Of all the Fab 5, I’m most interested in him and I hope he writes a book some day. 

• Love 13
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

Was the shower (technically speaking, should it even have been called a shower?  This is a second child for one of them.  Some people would call it a sprinkle) legitimately one week before she delivered?  Who does that?  I get that she had a scheduled induction (or C-section) possibly before the 40th week, but shouldn’t showers be...earlier?  Like at 30-32 weeks?  Anything after 35 weeks is a little...close.  But that’s just me.

I found it odd as well that they organized such a big gathering when she was ready to pop. I'm glad the season ended with that post script instead of being interrupted by her going into labor. Really beautiful woman, though. Talk about a glowing pregnant lady.

Also, that update upthread reminded me how much better this season's proposal was than the last one. I still think that one was super odd.

• Love 3

I hadn't seen the Thomas episode yet when I'd read some of the posts so I was not sure if I'd like it. But I really did. I think they did a great job with him and he seemed receptive to the help. He just needed a little polishing and a little encouragement. And as staged as the whole Japan Club thing was, the advise about finding your own tribe is very true. Even if it's just a couple of other people, having someone who "gets" you is so important. From my perspective it seemed like that was what they were trying to do for him. I enjoyed this season so much and I think this fab five gets better with each season. I also love that they focus on people in "flyover" states. We on the coasts get enough attention when it comes to things like this. 

• Love 3
On 3/18/2019 at 7:02 PM, retrograde said:

He's not the only one who's had to do these awkward "adult play dates" either. They always seem uncomfortable for everyone involved

Oh, I did not like the one from the first episode this season, where the hunter woman had to sit in the middle of the circle and listen to all those women talk about being a woman. It was so awkward and odd. Like, what was the set-up to get them all there? It seemed so random.

But I thoroughly enjoyed the episodes overall. This season was much better than season 2, which I thought went too far in the "trying too hard to be emotional" direction. And I loved Kansas City, I want to go there and get some of that barbecue.

• Love 6
On 3/17/2019 at 9:31 AM, starri said:

I started sobbing when Mary got her teeth fixed.  If I lived in Kansas City, I would 100% go to the amazingly kind dentist.

I'm buying a bottle of their sauce.

My Mom and I watched together and she ordered 3 bottles. She was the biggest daddies girl that ever lived (my grandfather passed in 2003) and she almost treated up when they were talking about their Dad. 

• Love 6

Finally finished the season. I pretty much enjoyed all of the episodes, I got a little annoyed with the last episode The baby shower one. 

I didn’t like how the fab5 and The pregnant GF Bri blamed that messy house all on Tony.

And she never once tried to say she was at fault for any of that filth. She lives there just the same as Tony.

Billions of women are pregnant everyday and still manage to keep their homes clean, pregnant is no excuse for letting your dishes get out of control to the point where they are covered in old hard dry moldy food. Or allowing your trash to over flow. Those are simple tasks to do. Heck you could even have the 7 year old take out the trash and load the dish washer. 

I didn’t get the impression that they were “overwhelmed” about the baby? They had 9 months to prepare. I think they are just messy people. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Hellohappylife said:

Finally finished the season. I pretty much enjoyed all of the episodes, I got a little annoyed with the last episode The baby shower one. 

I didn’t like how the fab5 and The pregnant GF Bri blamed that messy house all on Tony.

And she never once tried to say she was at fault for any of that filth. She lives there just the same as Tony.

Billions of women are pregnant everyday and still manage to keep their homes clean, pregnant is no excuse for letting your dishes get out of control to the point where they are covered in old hard dry moldy food. Or allowing your trash to over flow. Those are simple tasks to do. Heck you could even have the 7 year old take out the trash and load the dish washer. 

I didn’t get the impression that they were “overwhelmed” about the baby? They had 9 months to prepare. I think they are just messy people. 

It wasn’t as if she was on bedrest or something. And she already had a child....that made no sense. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Agree. I just think "overwhelmed" is a kind way of excusing the inexcusable. I think the Fab 5 can be kind of harsh sometimes (calling a dirtyish grill disgusting, making fun of furniture from Goodwill) but in this case they just had to explain in a way other than "one says he works too much, the other says she's too pregnant, both are full of shit, and no one wants to fight."

• Love 1

I just finished episode 3 with the Jones sisters I am pretty much loving the people featured in this season because they all make me smile and/or laugh. I also love that they are in the Kansas/Missouri area because I've been there and have family there so it seems familiar. Also, its nice to see people from other parts of the country featured rather than just NYC or LA. I cannot say how much I enjoy the new Fab 5, and would love to have them over for drinks. Throw in Tim Gunn and it'd be an amazing party.

• Love 6

I found the Thomas episode the weakest so far. AS others have said, Karamo's "knock down the wall" therapy was so fakey and awkward. Seemed Thomas responded to each of them by parroting back what they wanted to hear. In fact, I feel like often these people are often coached to respond a certain way when asked about their transformation at the end of the show. "Confidence, blah blah, positive attitude, blah blah, finding my inner self" or whatever. Not to say they aren't feeling some or all of those things, but for the show to end neatly, they have to voice the expected platitudes. Am i a cynic? I suppose so.

That being said, I feel Thomas needed a kick in the pants to get off the computer. Gaming is great. I get the addiction to it. But it can swallow your life. I have a nephew now in his late 30s who is FINALLY  ready to begin devoting his attention to some real world stuff, ie. fixing up his place, his sedentary body, his lack of social interaction in the real world. I don't want to say the twenty odd years he spent wed to the computer were terrible or a complete waste of time. I love my games too! But it's all about balance between the virtual and real world. Hope Thomas actually finds some real world gaming friends to hang with and a social life apart from his sister's group of friends.

• Love 4

Organizing my thoughts now that I am binging all day and reading your comments:

I saw the hunter lady (episode 1) and that was fine, I guess.  

You guys were right, the Jones BBQ episode was really cool!

Wow, Antoni is actually making Laab (or Larb) in the Robert episode, (episode 4).  That's really cool.  That's one of my favourite dishes.  Chrissy Teigen also shares a recipe in her new (second) cookbook.

I thought Black Girl Magic was fantastic and I cried through it.  Easily my favourite episode.

I like the widowed father.  He was so cute.  (Clearly I have been binging all day while cleaning the house.)  I added cleaning the house so it wouldn't seem so pathetic.

And, I actually really enjoyed the Thomas episode too.  But I like him.  He was sweet.  And of course, his sister Krissy too.  Was it this one where I thought Antoni was acting really high?  At the end I was like what is this man on?

For me the weakest episode, so far, is the Procrastinating Daddy.  Did he propose at the end?  I was in the shower.

So the only one I haven't seen is LOST BOY.

You guys are right, this season is pretty good.  I've liked every episode, I just thought the last one was weak.  This is a major improvement over Season 2, which I thought was the hugest comedown after the revelation that was Season 1.  I'll never like any episodes as much as I liked some in S1.  I should revisit.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BonnieD said:

I found the Thomas episode the weakest so far. AS others have said, Karamo's "knock down the wall" therapy was so fakey and awkward. Seemed Thomas responded to each of them by parroting back what they wanted to hear. In fact, I feel like often these people are often coached to respond a certain way when asked about their transformation at the end of the show. "Confidence, blah blah, positive attitude, blah blah, finding my inner self" or whatever. Not to say they aren't feeling some or all of those things, but for the show to end neatly, they have to voice the expected platitudes. Am i a cynic? I suppose so.

That being said, I feel Thomas needed a kick in the pants to get off the computer. Gaming is great. I get the addiction to it. But it can swallow your life. I have a nephew now in his late 30s who is FINALLY  ready to begin devoting his attention to some real world stuff, ie. fixing up his place, his sedentary body, his lack of social interaction in the real world. I don't want to say the twenty odd years he spent wed to the computer were terrible or a complete waste of time. I love my games too! But it's all about balance between the virtual and real world. Hope Thomas actually finds some real world gaming friends to hang with and a social life apart from his sister's group of friends.

Some people in my Sib Group said Thomas reminded them of their brothers on the spectrum. I didn’t get that impression but they could be right. Maybe that’s why he needed an extra kick in the pants to get away from the screen. 

• Love 3