Type keyword(s) to search

Zoey's Extraordinary News

• Start Topic

Q & A with the showrunner and cast at Hollywood Reporter (video):

Already in the can for some weeks, the season finale of Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist airs Sunday on NBC. And while none were at liberty to say much about what plays out onscreen, Winsberg did promise a mix of closure and seed-planting for the potential third season: “Every character has some degree of resolution for something going on in their story — that we’ve either set up the last few episodes or the last two seasons — that pays off in the season finale and opens a door to new things in season three.”

A little more baiting, Levy added: “There’s a huge frickin’ cliffhanger.”

On 5/11/2021 at 4:12 AM, ciubecca98 said:

That's the only hope for it to return as NBC announced it's Fall schedule today and was missing in action. 

"Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, Manifest, Debris and Good Girls are MIA, but they have not cancelled — at least not yet. An NBC rep confirms that final renewal decisions will be made in the coming weeks. "

(edited)
2 hours ago, dbklmt said:

That's the only hope for it to return as NBC announced it's Fall schedule today and was missing in action. 

That doesn’t really mean anything. It’s not unusual for shows to be left hanging after the fall schedule is released and to be renewed later. 

Edited by Guest

Whether good or bad, I wasn't expecting any news until after the finale.

Finale preview from the showrunner at EW: https://ew.com/tv/zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-season-2-finale-austin-winsberg-preview/

While Winsberg can't share more about the finale without spoiling the big moments, he promises it will be exactly what fans have come to expect from the NBC musical series after two full seasons of laughs, cries, and show-stopping heart songs. "Our show fires on all cylinders when it is comedic and emotional and hopeful, and with some big musical numbers, and a sense of theatricality at times, and a couple of twists and turns," he adds. "This finale is all of those."

(edited)
10 hours ago, dbklmt said:

"Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, Manifest, Debris and Good Girls are MIA, but they have not cancelled — at least not yet. An NBC rep confirms that final renewal decisions will be made in the coming weeks. "

Nah - Zoey's always been a midseason show. They might not announce their potential midseason schedule until upfronts.

Edited by bros402
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, bros402 said:

Nah - Zoey's always been a midseason show. They might not announce their potential midseason schedule until upfronts.

I looked and last year they announced the renewal in June

• Useful 1

NBC seems to consider Zoey a streaming success for them, so with low linear numbers, I wouldn't be surprised if it did get transferred over to Peacock and live on for a few more seasons

• Love 3

A bit more info on the marathon:

· E! to broadcast marathon of NBC's fan-favorite "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist," Sunday, May 30 and Monday, May 31

· All 25 episodes of the critically acclaimed series will air on E! back-to-back, beginning with the pilot episode on Sunday, May 30 at 9 a.m. ET/PT

· In addition, all episodes of "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" are currently streaming on Peacock.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

To me, that looks like they really want to renew it and are trying to boost the viewership to see if they can make it financially profitable to do so.

Maybe if NBC didn't screw around with changing ZEP's scheduling, it would be able to build off of consistency. Starting the season on one night, then going on break for over a month, then coming back to air on Sunday nights did the show no favors this past Spring. I can only hope tptb take that into consideration when trying to decide on season 3. 

The show does better when it airs during the week. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

Maybe if NBC didn't screw around with changing ZEP's scheduling, it would be able to build off of consistency. Starting the season on one night, then going on break for over a month, then coming back to air on Sunday nights did the show no favors this past Spring.

The plotting didn't help either. More ghost Mitch, bring back Howie, more Mo outside of relationship Mo (e.g. 'church' Mo), more therapy for Zoey, keep Rose, keep Maximo. Less SPRQ except for Simon, no Aiden.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, D Angel said:

The plotting didn't help either. More ghost Mitch, bring back Howie, more Mo outside of relationship Mo (e.g. 'church' Mo), more therapy for Zoey, keep Rose, keep Maximo. Less SPRQ except for Simon, no Aiden.

Ghost mitch is best in small doses - too much would ruin it.

I think Aiden is gone. Howie was great, but bringing him back would sort of diminish things - he helped the family during Mitch's final days, then he was gone. That was his job.

However, I would like that if we got a season 3, Howie's daughter came to Zoey seeing if she could get an internship or a job at SPRQ

• Love 5
(edited)

Booo! 

Perhaps if NBC didn't treat the show like a slot-filler, it would've gained more traction. The suits can't expect to build an audience when they're inconsistent with scheduling and promotion. Changing from weekday to Sundays and the month-long hiatus in the middle of the season did it no favors. And while I enjoyed the E! marathon, it was on a Sunday of a long holiday-weekend, the first since things have opened back up post-Covid. Did they expect people to not go out?

It's like NBC set it up to fail. 

Disappointed in Peacock for not taking on 8 episodes to close out the series. They have the Punky Brewster reboot for goodness sakes which is... a choice. 

I hope it's able to be picked up by another streamer, though I'd imagine that's a harder grab? 

This is such a bummer. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 2
(edited)

agreed re the scheduling issues, and had there been a third season, i certainly would have watched. 

but, truth be told, i found the second season wanting. without mitch at its emotional center, the storytelling meandered. austin winsberg created the show around his father’s illness and death, and likely not as a multi-season serial. so when the show got picked up, there was a ‘making this up as we go along’ quality, rather than a clearly-defined arc. 

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

I’m so pissed about this. I would’ve even subscribed to Peacock if they’d moved it there. Hopefully it can get picked up by Netflix or Hulu (where it’s already streaming). I’m just tired of original shows getting canceled and replaced by yet another medical/lawyer/cop show, which is almost certainly what will happen. NBC is nearly as bad as ABC when it comes to canceling every show I love.

• Love 5
(edited)
23 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

... but showrunner Austin Winsberg hasn't given up hope!! He's hoping to rally the fans for a social media push! 🤞

Wow. I can’t ever before recall this much enthusiasm from a show runner of a cancelled show. Here’s his Twitter post quoted in the above article:  

14 hours ago, ciubecca98 said:

Request Zoey’s on Netflix! https://t.co/AwJRQAybWn

Did it. Easy peasy, so why not?

Edited by shapeshifter
correct autocorrect
(edited)
5 hours ago, PurpleFishHead said:

So Peacock passes on this show, but orders a Ted the teddy bear series? absolutely ridiculous. Fuck you, Peacock! 

Meanwhile, they couldn't be bothered to give ZEP an 8-episode series finale to wrap up. 

Assholes. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Meanwhile, they couldn't be bothered to give ZEP an 8-episode series finale to wrap up. 

Assholes. 

Or even a tv movie to wrap it up (Like the amazing Timeless)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I suspect that Peacock passed because it is very expensive to produce TV shows, particularly with an established cast who need significant salaries to continue. Zoey's is an ensemble cast with a number of actors who can take other roles and whose agents probably started shopping them mid-season when ratings were down.

I'm sure the cast wants a 3rd season of Zoey and enjoy working together, but for any outlet to fund the show it has to generate profit, or at least offer a fighting chance to do so. Zoey has a devoted following, but how devoted and really how large is hard to say. But if Zoey can find a champion with influence, soon, there's still hope. Recall that Family Guy was cancelled by FOX, then brought back after several years off the air, but earned a cult following and is still running after 20 years.

Zoey Season 1 was some of the best TV I've seen in the last decade. Zoey Season 2 was blah, musical numbers notwithstanding. If Austin Winsberg can lay out a compelling story arc for two more seasons, he might find a home for the show since solid buzz would reactive S1 and S2 viewership just as S1 stoked S2, disappointing or not.

But it could be that the Mitch driving story arc in S1 was all Winsberg had to offer, and without it Zoey is just an excuse for music/dance numbers -- as entertaining as they are. And lots of shows can make excuses to incorporate music/dance numbers. Family Guy does it all the time, just with cartoons. Family Guy works and hooks the audience with ruthless satire. Zoey S1 hooked the audience with a realistic and compelling narrative of the too-soon demise of a beloved family member. Zoey S2 had no hook at all.

I've noted MULTIPLE times on this board and elsewhere that a Zoey spiritual journey to understand where her powers come from, why she has them, and what she's supposed to do with them, would make a compelling story arc. If I were a network exec, I'd tell Austin Winsberg to tell me how he planned to answer these questions, or no sale.

• Love 6

Good point about Mitch being the focal point of the show for Season 1, and losing him at the end of the season made Season 2 feel somewhat lost. It might have been better to keep his storyline going for 3 seasons

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DanaK said:

Good point about Mitch being the focal point of the show for Season 1, and losing him at the end of the season made Season 2 feel somewhat lost. It might have been better to keep his storyline going for 3 seasons

Yes. Ghost Mitch could have had a major role in the first half of season 2, and then perhaps faded a bit with each half season to symbolize Zoey’s increasing mental health and healing from her loss. 
At least the season finale was satisfying. Too often I’ve seen cancelled shows “end with a whimper instead of a bang.”

• Love 3

Season 2 would've been better if it started out with Zoey seeing a therapist and trying to process her grief from the get-go. Her seeing the therapist starting 2-3 episodes in instead of 12 episodes in could've made a big difference, since it would be perfectly natural for her to see someone for grief counseling - season 1 could've been "How to deal with a dying family member" season 2 could have been "How to process their loss/moving on after their death" and season 3 could have been whatever - but they should've rooted S2 in something and not just jumped around.

• Love 4

Jane Levy torched NBC for their decision to cancel Zoey's and not even shift it to Peacock:

https://deadline.com/2021/06/jane-levy-zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-wrong-move-cancellation-nbc-crime-and-guns-1234774908/

The lady has a point, and not only because she carried the series and deserves better. It's been 25 episodes and hour programs take longer to build an audience. Someone should buy the show for another 25 episodes then rake in the money over time as people binge watch it.

I remember how The Good Place had a great season 1, then spun its wheels durign some portions of seasons 2 & 3, but really kicked it into gear late season 3 and all of season 4. ZEP cold do the same if they get out of their funk and take any number of compelling narratives jsut sitting there.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, D Angel said:

Jane Levy torched NBC for their decision to cancel Zoey's and not even shift it to Peacock:

https://deadline.com/2021/06/jane-levy-zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-wrong-move-cancellation-nbc-crime-and-guns-1234774908/

And she immediately backtracked. 

https://www.primetimer.com/item/Jane-Levy-I-wasnt-trashing-NBC-with-comment-about-its-quot-crime-and-guns-quot-shows-z8S7bX

Sounds like her agent had a few words with her. 

On 6/15/2021 at 7:03 PM, Bulldog said:
On 6/15/2021 at 4:36 PM, D Angel said:

Expand  

And she immediately backtracked. 

https://www.primetimer.com/item/Jane-Levy-I-wasnt-trashing-NBC-with-comment-about-its-quot-crime-and-guns-quot-shows-z8S7bX

Sounds like her agent had a few words with her

Hrmph. Yeah. But Jane Levy is not wrong in her assessment of the network’s content. 

• Love 1
On 6/11/2021 at 1:33 AM, bros402 said:

Or even a tv movie to wrap it up (Like the amazing Timeless)

I am disappointed the show was cancelled, but it doesn't really need a movie to wrap things up. I feel like it had a good conclusion for everyone. The Max hearing Zoey part is an open question, but it doesn't require follow up to feel good about the characters. Timeless had killed off a main character and left everyone else in danger, so it really needed a movie.

But maybe if fans hire a helicopter to fly around LA with a sign about Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, NBC would do something.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

But maybe if fans hire a helicopter to fly around LA with a sign about Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, NBC would do something.

OMG I remember when Angel was in danger of being cancelled so there was a donation campaign to raise money to hire one of those trucks with a big billboard and drive it around LA.

721802622_saveangel.thumb.JPG.2bd6bf7d38d43e4027375f9452b16fde.JPG

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

OMG I remember when Angel was in danger of being cancelled so there was a donation campaign to raise money to hire one of those trucks with a big billboard and drive it around LA.

721802622_saveangel.thumb.JPG.2bd6bf7d38d43e4027375f9452b16fde.JPG

Well this↑ certainly make the old Roswell bottles of Tabasco sauce pale in comparison, but, hey, they worked.
Those were the days!

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Well this↑ certainly make the old Roswell bottles of Tabasco sauce pale in comparison, but, hey, they worked.
Those were the days!

I remember when fans of Jericho sent ~20 tons of nuts to CBS HQ

(edited)

I found the first season amazing!! To be honest, I didn't finish the last episode of the second season because I felt it became reduced to silly love triangle show (with great dance numbers!) that reduced the plot of someone who had been an inspiring young person finding their way in the world....to someone in just any other ordinary show fretting about which guy she would pick as her lover as the most important plot---even negating her accomplishment at getting a great job like she has to be just something a guy did for her because of his devotion, not something she earned.

While I mourn for what could have been after S1, I can't really mourn for a show that followed up with this for S2.  

Edited by pennben
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, pennben said:

While I mourn for what could have been after S1, I can't really mourn for a show that followed up with this for S2.  

Non-renewal of the series was based on low rating, not show quality. And while I think they lost some audience beginning around S2 E4 which impacted rating, the difference was so small that the plot failures (too harsh, let's call them 'misfires')  did hurt, they didn't help and the sophomore slump dragged the show down. If S2 had been as compelling as S1, Emmy buzz would have elevated the show's profile, viewers would have streamed S1 to catch up and made it an appointment as I did watch the broadcast (or at least stream) as each new episode was released.

Either way, the show and cast and crew deserved better than straight cancellation after the stunning and unique S1, even with a mediocre S2. Good writing and plotting for the beginning of S3 would have quickly won the audience back.

• Love 1