Best Actress in a Broadcast Network or Cable Series, Comedy

• Jane Levy

Best Supporting Actor in a Broadcast Network or Cable Series, Comedy

• Alex Newell
  • John Clarence Stewart
  • Skylar Astin

Best Supporting Actress in a Broadcast Network or Cable Series, Comedy

• Mary Steenburgen

That's awesome and well-deserved. I hope they're able to snag some Emmy nominations, too. (primetime Emmy nominations are announced July 13)

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, DanaK said:

At least they got 4 Primetime Emmy Nominations https://deadline.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/2021-Emmy-Nominations-List.pdf

Guest Actress (Bernadette Peters) in a Comedy Series

Outstanding Music Direction

Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics

Outstanding Choreography for Scripted Programming

Happy for the nominations the show got, but frustrated at the obvious snubs. People who aren't up on Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist really are missing out on a special show. 

• Love 2

Details on the nominations - note two chances to win in Choreoraphy;

Outstanding Choreography For Scripted Programming

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist

• Routines: Black Man In A White World / Tightrope

Mandy Moore, Choreographer
Luther Brown, Choreographer

• Routines: Hello Dolly / Starships / Let's Get Loud

Mandy Moore, Choreographer

Outstanding Music Direction

• Zoey's Extraordinary Goodbye

Harvey Mason Jr., Music Director

Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics

• Zoey's Extraordinary Birthday / Song Title: Crimson Love

Harvey Mason Jr., Music
Andrew Hey, Music
Austin Winsberg, Lyrics
Lindsey Rosin, Lyrics

Outstanding Guest Actress In A Comedy Series

• Zoey's Extraordinary Girls' Night

Bernadette Peters as Deb

• Love 2

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist Rescued By Roku!

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist may have another song left in it, after all! Streaming player Roku is nearing a deal for a two-hour wrap-up movie for the cancelled NBC musical dramedy, TVLine has learned.

We hear if the pic — which would debut on The Roku Channel over the holidays — performs well, Roku could potentially order additional episodes. New deals with the primary cast, led by Jane Levy, are currently being hammered out.

I'm happy ZEP will get some closure at the very least. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist Rescued By Roku!

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist may have another song left in it, after all! Streaming player Roku is nearing a deal for a two-hour wrap-up movie for the cancelled NBC musical dramedy, TVLine has learned.

We hear if the pic — which would debut on The Roku Channel over the holidays — performs well, Roku could potentially order additional episodes. New deals with the primary cast, led by Jane Levy, are currently being hammered out.

I'm happy ZEP will get some closure at the very least. The show deserves all the love and accolades. 

Yeah!  I use Roku for all my streaming so I'll be happy to see it when they release it 😃😍😃

• Love 2
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I guess I have to learn how Roku works.

It's a streaming device. They have their own channel that will air Zoey (assuming it goes through). It's free & works on both Roku and Amazon Fire (stick or box) streaming devices. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

So do I have to buy the device? I don't have a Fire Stick, either. When I stream things, I usually do it over my laptop. I don't like having a zillion devices to keep track of.

You can go here to watch Roku shows on your laptop. 
https://therokuchannel.roku.com/

There’s also android and iOS apps for people who don’t have a fire stick or roku device. 

This made my day! I was so mad about the show being canceled and left on a cliffhanger. Even if there are no additional episodes (though I hope there will be) a wrap-up movie is still better than nothing. That's what we got back when NBC canceled Timeless. 

• Love 3

Great news!!!

ZOEY'S EXTRAORDINARY CHRISTMAS is listed as in production starting September 16th. 

ETA - More details from Skylar

Following the comedy series’ cancellation back in June, Astin – who played Max in the show – recently told NME about plans on Roku to revive the story for a two-hour film.

“Oh, we’re doing it – I’m booked, boo,” Astin said. “I know there was a season three idea and maybe a season four idea, but now we’re going to do a movie and maybe we’ll do another movie [after that].

“This one’s going to be Christmas-themed, and there might be a Valentine’s Day-themed [movie] after. And who knows, maybe we’ll get more seasons down the line? But right now, I’m just grateful that we get to do this movie. We’re filming it very soon.”

Skylar Astin confirms Christmas-themed ‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’ film

Edited by Guest

'Austin Winsberg Talks Grief, Love and Making ‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Christmas’'

“Continuing to ask the question of how we move on, and what does that look like just felt like universal ideas we could all understand,” he shared, and the way to do that is, sometimes, by telling a very particular story – of a very specific time in the journey of grief.

This might have been a story that Winsberg would have wanted to tell before, but the logistics were never on his side. “When the show was on the air we never knew when it was going to air, so we couldn’t do a holiday episode, or a Valentine’s Day episode, or anything like that. So, when we got the idea (of) being able to tell a story that could be kind of a close-ended full holiday movie, using holiday songs and being able to tap into the real emotions of what that first Christmas and holidays are like, it just felt like it could kind of play on well with the Zoey world.”

'Jane Levy and Skylar Astin promise Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas delivers the romance fans want'

"I loved it," Levy tells EW. "It's a perfect fusion, Christmas and Zoey's. It actually works so well, and I was heartened by the script. What I really love about this movie is that we get to finally see Zoey happy and feeling safe in a relationship with Max."

Zoey and Max's two-season arc from BFFs to unrequited feelings to dating at the wrong time to breaking up and finally coming back together has been "quite a journey," Astin says with a laugh. And that's why the holiday movie is "really rewarding" for that couple — and for the fans.

'Skylar Astin Discusses Clarkeman and the Making of ‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Christmas’'

How did it feel to portray Max on the opposite side of the power dynamic?

It was fun! I mean, it was really fun as an actor to, you know, do my very best Jane Levy impression and react to the music. And it’s honestly a really fortunate thing. I have been on the other side where I’m singing. I’ve also been in the frozen position when other people are singing and I’m supposed to be in reality while someone else is in what we like to call “Zoality” internally. And now we’ve coined the term “Maxality,” so when Max is hearing people sing that’s the -ality that we’re in. And it’s really great. I got to watch some really fun numbers, a really emotional number that I’m so happy that I got to have a front row seat for. So it was a really – it was a really fun experience as an actor.

Jane Levy Teases Details About Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas Special | Drew's News

• Love 1

Some additional info from Roku's holiday press release:

Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas

The all-new Roku Original, "Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas," makes its debut on The Roku Channel on December 1. The end credits of the film feature an all-new holiday song titled, "North Star," performed by GRAMMY award-winning artist, Tori Kelly. The song was co-written by "Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas" star, Mary Steenburgen, Troy Verges and Caitlyn Smith, about love, loss and connection during the most wonderful time of the year. It was produced by Harvey Mason Jr.

In addition to watching the film on-demand, users can enjoy "Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas" as well as episodes of "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" through an all-new linear channel in the U.S., "Roku Channel Movies & TV." For a streaming encore, musical clips from the Roku Original film will be available to stream within Music on The Roku Channel later this month.

• Useful 1
On 12/4/2021 at 4:21 PM, bros402 said:

Mary Steenburgen writes much better than she can sing.

OT: This is why I never understood why singing competitions got obsessed with insisting the singers could also write. Sometimes a songwriter needs a singer so their songs can be heard. Not all songwriters are singers.

Part of the appeal this show has, for me, is that not every actor could hold a perfect note. Made the heartsongs feel more real in many cases. Even if it was a bit painful on the ears.

• Love 4

One Critics Choice Awards nomination for Zoey's Extraordinary Christmas! -- 'Best Movie Made for Television'.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/12/06/television-nominations-announced-for-the-27th-annual-critics-choice-awards-973010/20211206cw01/

The Critics Choice Association (CCA) announced today the TV category nominees for the 27th Annual Critics Choice Awards. The winners will be revealed at the star-studded Critics Choice Awards gala, which will broadcast LIVE on The CW and TBS on Sunday, January 9 from 7:00 - 10:00 pm ET (delayed PT).

ETA:

Edited by Trini
added tweet
  • Love 2
On 12/6/2021 at 1:53 AM, Bill1978 said:

OT: This is why I never understood why singing competitions got obsessed with insisting the singers could also write. Sometimes a songwriter needs a singer so their songs can be heard. Not all songwriters are singers.

Part of the appeal this show has, for me, is that not every actor could hold a perfect note. Made the heartsongs feel more real in many cases. Even if it was a bit painful on the ears.

Yeah. If someone can sing and write, hey, that's a bonus. Same with singing and playing an instrument.

If you can write great songs, hey it's a good gig - you get the money and you don't get recognized on the street!

I also like that every actor isn't an amazing singer, but I am happy that at least they do not have anyone who is tone deaf, since a musical show needs someone who can try to hold a note. Or at least head in the general direction of the note.

• Love 1

TV Guide's 20 best episodes of 2021:

"Zoey's Extraordinary Reckoning," Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist 

Many TV shows were moved by the murder of George Floyd in May 2020, and the global outcry against systemic racism and police brutality his death sparked. Several shows incorporated Floyd's death at the hands of police and the subsequent protests directly into their Black Lives Matter storylines. Others created similar cases for their characters to react to. Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist went a bit deeper with "Zoey's Extraordinary Reckoning." The episode, written by Zora Bikangaga, took a look at systemic racism within the very specific tech world of Zoey's Playlist and constructed a multifaceted conversation about racism, racial profiling, Black fatigue, and the proper role of white allies. It delivered a more nuanced message about the moment and the upheaval we all experienced after Floyd's death than almost any other show. Anchored by a stunning performance by John Clarence Stewart, "Zoey's Extraordinary Reckoning" explored the issues, made a point, and still found room to celebrate Black joy in the face of seemingly insurmountable pressure and grief. It's truly admirable that the show could make such a powerful contribution to the Black Lives Matter conversation without mentioning the organization or police even once.

• Love 1

EW's The 30 best TV episodes of 2021:

"Zoey's Extraordinary Goodbye" — Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (NBC)

(Written by Austin Winsberg, Directed by John Terlesky) 

In what would sadly become the show's untimely goodbye (at least, on NBC), Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist wrapped up the will they-won't they of its two-season love triangle with a brain-melting twist. After breaking things off with Simon (John Clarence Stewart) and learning the truth behind how she got her job, Zoey (Jane Levy) realizes her feelings for Max (Skylar Astin) and makes a mad dash to the airport — only to see what she thinks is him singing "When a Man Loves a Woman" to Rose (Katie Findlay). But when Max "gets off the plane" (or never gets on it, rather), he reveals his heart song was for Zoey — who he then hears sing her own song, "I Melt With You." This episode showcased what made Zoey great — inventive musical numbers, heartfelt romance, and the core foundation of Zoey's connection with her father. The only thing we don't like about it is how that brilliant twist left us with so many questions that would potentially never be answered (thank the Roku gods for a Christmas special). —M.L.L

• Love 2

Emmy nomination for Zoey’s Extraordinary Christmas:

OUTSTANDING MADE-FOR-TELEVISION MOVIE
Chip ’n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Ray Donovan: The Movie
Reno 911! The Hunt for QAnon
The Survivor
Zoey’s Extraordinary Christmas

• Like 2
  • Love 1