Type keyword(s) to search

Zoey's Extraordinary News

• Start Topic

Media here!

NBC has greenlit Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist. Musical dramedy Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist hails from Jake in Progress creator Austin Winsberg, Eric and Kim Tannenbaum, Universal Music Group and Lionsgate TVWritten by Winsberg and to be directed by Paul Feig, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, which had a script commitment plus penalty, is described tonally as What Women Want meets La La Land. It follows a whip-smart but socially awkward girl in her late 20s who is suddenly able to hear the innermost thoughts of people around her as songs and even big musical numbers that they perform just for her. With this new ability at her disposal, she is able to use her “gift” to not only help herself understand people in her life, but also to help others around her.

Jane Levy To Star In ‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’ NBC Pilot, Richard Shepard To Direct

Former Suburgatory star Jane Levy is set as the lead of NBC’s Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist musical dramedy pilot...

Richard Shepard has come on board to direct the pilot, replacing Paul Feig, who originally intended to direct but won’t be able to due to his busy feature schedule. Feig will continue to serve as an executive producer.

Written by Winsberg, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist is described tonally as What Women Want meets La La Land. It follows a whip-smart but socially awkward girl in her late 20’s, Zoey (Levy)  who is suddenly able to hear the innermost thoughts of people around her as songs and even big musical numbers that they perform just for her. With this new ability at her disposal, she is able to use her “gift” to not only help herself understand people in her life, but also to help others around her.

Levy’s Zoey is a socially awkward, smart, charming, type-A whip-smart coder with a nervous energy and an impressive ability to talk a lot.

I really like Levy, so I'm hoping this comes to fruition!

Casting news is coming out -

‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’: Lauren Graham Joins For Year-Long Arc In Recasting

Parenthood and Gilmore Girls alumna Lauren Graham is set for a season-long arc opposite Jane Levy in Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, NBC’s musical dramedy series, in a recasting. The series hails from Jake in Progress creator Austin Winsberg, Lionsgate, The Tannenbaum Co., Paul Feig’s FeigCo Entertainment and Universal Music Group.

Graham will play Jane, Zoey’s boss. She replaces Carmen Cusack, who played the role in the pilot.

‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’: India De Beaufort, Michael Thomas Grant, Kapil Talwalkar, Alice Lee & Stephanie Styles To Recur On NBC Series

The cast also includes Skylar Astin, Peter Gallagher, Alex Newell, John Clarence Stewart and Mary Steenburgen. Lauren Graham is recurring.

De Beaufort will play Jessica, Simon’s fiancée who now works front of house at one of San Francisco’s hippest restaurants.

Grant will play Leif, a wide-eyed, disheveled and seemingly sweet-natured coder who will do anything to get ahead.

Talwalkar will portray Tobin, a coder with “bro” energy who is computer smart but socially oblivious.

Lee is Emily, the upbeat and put together wife of Zoey’s brother David.

Styles will portray Autumn, a barista at Zoey and Max’s favorite coffee shop in San Francisco.

Taken from NBC Unveils Midseason Schedule, Sets ‘Manifest’ & ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ Returns

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist will get a preview behind the season opener of Ellen’s Game of Games on Jan. 7 and be available on digital for word-of-mouth sampling for six weeks before its Sunday time slot debut on Feb. 16. The show is one hour long.

ZOEY’S EXTRAORDINARY PLAYLIST

Sergei Bachlakov/NBC

If there’s a song in your heart, it will get in her head. Jane Levy stars in this high-concept drama as Zoey Clarke, a whip-smart computer coder forging her way in San Francisco. After an unusual event, Zoey, who always preferred podcasts over pop songs, suddenly starts to hear the innermost wants, thoughts and desires of the people around her – her family, co-workers and complete strangers – through popular songs. At first, she questions her own sanity, but after getting some guidance from her musically adept neighbor, Mo, and making a breakthrough with her ailing father, Zoey soon realizes this unwanted curse may just be an incredibly wonderful gift as she connects with the world like never before. The series stars Jane Levy, Skylar Astin, Alex Newell, John Clarence Stewart, with Peter Gallagher and Mary Steenburgen. Lauren Graham is special guest star. Austin Winsberg will write and executive produce. Richard Shepard will direct and executive produce (pilot only). Paul Feig, Jessie Henderson, Kim Tannenbaum and Eric Tannenbaum, David Blackman and Daniel Inkeles will executive produce. Jason Wang will co-executive produce. Dan Magnante will produce. “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist” is produced by Lionsgate and Universal Television in association with the Tannenbaum Company, Feigco Entertainment and Universal Music Group’s Polygram.

1st episode finally airs on Tuesday! I'm a big fan of most of this cast, so I hope they can pull off the "musical within a show" concept. Ideally, I'd like to actually enjoy the show and not hatewatch it (like Glee).

• Love 1
14 hours ago, shantown said:

1st episode finally airs on Tuesday! I'm a big fan of most of this cast, so I hope they can pull off the "musical within a show" concept. Ideally, I'd like to actually enjoy the show and not hatewatch it (like Glee).

I would very much prefer an Eli Stone to a Glee.

Review of the show from Rolling Stone - https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-reviews/zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-review-931810/

And here's an article on it from Entertainment Weekly - https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/03/zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-premiere-sneak-peek-video/

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I din't realize it wouldn't be airing again until mid February. That's stupid lol.

Ugh me neither. Is something like this beneficial to shows? It seems like if you're on the fence you're likely to drop it when the next episode isn't for a month. Although if it's really good I suppose that it allows for time to build anticipation and word of mouth.

• Love 1
On 1/5/2020 at 12:24 PM, shantown said:

Ugh me neither. Is something like this beneficial to shows? It seems like if you're on the fence you're likely to drop it when the next episode isn't for a month. Although if it's really good I suppose that it allows for time to build anticipation and word of mouth.

Like I understand if they decided to release the pilot early on the NBC site or Hulu - but airing it on TV is just.... I do not understand their logic.

interview with ZEP showrunner Austin Winsberg

• Bernadette Peters will be appearing later this season!
  • Austin is a musical theater nerd
  • Discusses using Deaf West in this week's episode

Winsberg was inspired to create Zoey’s because of his father’s death; Gallagher in the show suffers from the same neurological condition that afflicted Winsberg’s father. So to him, the show may be musical and fantastical, but its core is about communication and empathy, especially for people who society overlooks. “Zoey’s father is based on my dad who couldn’t communicate at all in the last six months of his life, and I so desperately wanted to know what was going on in his head,” explains Winsberg, “And deaf people, too, anybody who has a disability or challenge, understanding what they're going through. So much of the show is about compassion and empathy and putting yourself into somebody else’s shoes.” 

But for a show that’s so musical-theater inspired, there seems to be a lack of musical-theater songs in it. When asked why he’s not featuring more show tunes in his TV show, Winsberg says it’s because musical songs don’t always work outside of their musical context. “So many songs in musicals are synonymous with that musical and already built into the narrative,” he explains. “It’s important to me that if we were to do our own spin on that song, we’d have to change the meaning of it, or turn it on its head in some way so we’re not just telling it in the story the same way it was told in the musical.”

The other reason is purely financial: pop songs are cheaper to license than show tunes. “The most expensive song I went after all season was a song from Les Miz.” What song was it? “Castle on a cloud,” Winsberg laughs. “Cosette needs to be heard, everybody!”

• Love 2

The cast warms up in the booth (choir nerds will appreciate this)

Behind-the-Scenes SPRQPOINT Set Tour

Cast Q&A At SCAD aTV Fest

Alex Newell Answers 10 Questions

Skylar Astin and John Clarence Stewart Take the Whisper Challenge

Alex Can't Stop Talking About Glee

Jane Levy and Lauren Graham Explain Their Show... with a Twist

Behind the Scenes with Choreographer Mandy Moore

Alex Newell's Advice for a Fantastic Life

Questions with Choreographer Mandy Moore

The cast discusses S1 (Michael Thomas Grant/Leif, Mary Steenburgen/Maggie, Mandy Moore, Austin Winsberg, Alex Newell/Mo, Lauren Graham/Joan, Andrew Leeds/David, India de Beaufort/Jessica, Alice Lee/Emily, John Clarence Stewart/Simon, Peter Gallagher/Mitch, Kapil Talwalker/Tobin, Jane Levy/Zoey, Skylar Astin/Max, Stephanie Styles/Autumn)

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/27/2020 at 6:17 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

I love the show and completely pay attention to it but lately I've found myself watching the background extra's with a bit of fascination.  If anyone has behind the scenes info I'm wondering when there are two things going on what song is playing during filming, or are multiple songs playing at once.    

Moved from the episodes threads because the show posted some behind the scenes clip on Instagram. The sixth one is Mo and Eddie singing Bailamos in a crowded club. 

Edited by Guest
16 hours ago, Dani said:

Moved from the episodes threads because the show posted some behind the scenes clip on Instagram. The eighth one is Mo and Eddie singing Bailamos in a crowded club. 

That answered my question, especially the club scene - so the dancers are hearing Bailamos on playback but they're grooving to whatever song is supposed to be playing in the club, completely different beat.  Maybe they have hidden earpieces to help but even if they do I still find that really amazing.

• Love 1

I know this isn't the right spot, but has there been any definitive news about a second season for Zoey?  I found a site that said it was cancelled, but I don't know how accurate it is.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, Phebemarie said:

I know this isn't the right spot, but has there been any definitive news about a second season for Zoey?  I found a site that said it was cancelled, but I don't know how accurate it is.  

No official word yet but it’s been getting really good press lately and some Emmy buzz. At this point I would be a little surprised is it doesn’t get renewed. 

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Dani said:

No official word yet but it’s been getting really good press lately and some Emmy buzz. At this point I would be a little surprised is it doesn’t get renewed. 

I really hope so.  That last episode was exceptional.  I do hope its recognized at Emmy time.  

• Love 4
On 5/24/2020 at 8:02 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Stars in the House interview with Skylar Astin, Peter Gallagher, Lauren Graham, Jane Levy, Alex Newell, Mary Steenburgen, John Clarence Stewart, and creator/executive producer Austin Winsberg and producer/choreographer Mandy Moore
https://youtu.be/QN-z-jKMCK0

Just "watched" this while working on a project. It is very long, but very good. If nothing else, be sure to catch Skylar Astin's song beginning at about the one hour and four minute mark. Not a dry eye in the house.

• Love 1

A cautiously optimistic view about renewal from Deadline - NBC Bubble Watch Update: ‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’ Looking Good...

Leading the pack is sparkly newcomer Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist, a co-production between Lionsgate TV and Universal TV. The musical dramedy has passionate following and just topped USA Today’s annual Save Our Shows poll with record support.

It has a lot in common with Sunday night companion Good Girls. Both are female-driven vehicles that combine drama and comedy, and both get the bulk of their ratings from delayed and digital viewing. One thing that separates the two is that Good Girls, fully owned by NBCUniversal via producing studio Universal TV, has a lucrative Netflix library streaming deal, which sealed another renewal for the caper earlier this month.

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist is a digital phenom with huge online/social media following whose very modest Live+Same Day linear ratings are dwarfed by its delayed multi-platform numbers. Because digital breakouts of that caliber don’t come along often, NBC, Lionsgate TV and Universal TV will likely find a business framework to make a renewal on the linear network feasible, including possibly pursuing a full-season streaming pact somewhere.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, saoirse said:

A cautiously optimistic view about renewal from Deadline - NBC Bubble Watch Update: ‘Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist’ Looking Good...

I saw that article earlier and was gonna post it here if it wasn't posted here already.

I hope it gets renewed - then only one big cancellation among the shows I care about that I watch - Single Parents.

I watched Emergence, but felt like it ended on a good note, even if it was only a single season (Although I am disappointed I learned that they filmed in my area after they were done filming the show! I would've wanted to try to spot some actors - since nobody films in my area!

I don't know if Manifest is gonna get renewed, but if it doesn't, it's not a biiig loss, because it is pretty ridiculous at this point.

• Love 1

More details on the renewal from Deadline;

NBC has ordered a second season of musical dramedy Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist starring Jane Levy. We hear the order is for 13 episodes.

A co-production between Lionsgate TV and Universal TV, the series had been considered the strongest contender among NBC’s bubble shows this season. It has a passionate following and recently topped USA Today’s annual Save Our Shows poll with record support...

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist has been a digital phenom with huge online/social media following whose very modest Live+Same Day linear ratings are dwarfed by its delayed multi-platform numbers. It is one of NBC’s strongest digital performers, with digital sources generating more than half its 35-day viewership in the 18-49 demo.

• Love 5

I AM SO EXCITED IT GOT RENEWED

Now pretty much everything I was hoping for to get renewed got renewed.

Single Parents got cancelled, Manifest is still on the fence, but Stumptown & this were my "Well, i'd be okay with the other stuff being cancelled if those got renewed" shows.

I just hope that with this show, since it is probably going to be a bubble show next season, they write it as if it will be the last season - we don't want it to end on a cliffhanger.

• Love 1

Yeah, I think it definitely benefits from being a shorter season - and it would be hard to maintain the stories and the level of story telling over 22 episodes.

Also, I think it benefited from being run pretty much without interruption - sure, they did the whole 'tease the premiere' a while early, but it would be hard to have 22 episodes that got interrupted and chopped around. I think there was just one week that got skipped in the airing of the 12 season one episodes? I may be misremembering though...

• Love 3

I think 13 episodes is perfect for a show like "Zoey". I know 22 has been the standard for network series, but I think that's slowly starting to whittle away. Personally, I find shows with under 20 episodes per season far more enjoyable because that means the storytelling is more cohesive and there's less filler to pass the time. 

Very happy for a season 2! 

• Love 3

Anyone hear the news that Zachary Levi may be brought on the show in season 2?  Speculation is he'd play Max's older brother.  He does have a nice voice; I enjoyed him in She Loves Me (thanks Broadway HD).  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Phebemarie said:

Anyone hear the news that Zachary Levi may be brought on the show in season 2?  Speculation is he'd play Max's older brother.  He does have a nice voice; I enjoyed him in She Loves Me (thanks Broadway HD).  

I love Zachary Levi! Hope this indeed happens. 

• Love 2