Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Talk of the Ton

• Start Topic

I suspect this is an Amazon issue.  I'd call your local independent bookstores.  I bet you can find copies in town.

Although, the e-books have the second epilogue in them so it saves you buying book number nine with the extra novellas.

3 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

I suspect this is an Amazon issue.  I'd call your local independent bookstores.  I bet you can find copies in town.

Although, the e-books have the second epilogue in them so it saves you buying book number nine with the extra novellas.

It's not an Amazon issue.  I am a librarian and cannot order the print of any Bridgerton book after the first.  The publisher only reprinted that one last year, the rest of the books are impossible to get right now in print.   I just checked the Ripped Bodice bookstore, and they have the second book listed as backordered.  The ebooks are available though.   They will reprint the rest eventually.  Covid has also done a number on the printing side of publishing.   There are delays everywhere forcing publishers to have to prioritize what gets printed.   New releases are naturally more important.  It's very possible that the books will not be reprinted until the trade paperback media tie in for season two.  Which means books 3-8 wont get reprinted for awhile.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/15/2021 at 8:21 PM, kaygeeret said:

Or, check with your local library if what you want to do is read the book and owning it is secondary.

PS The library is free

This is from the library 

2B33FD9D-F30F-414C-9A41-017CE7EE1148.jpeg

It might be a year before it’s my turn. 

NYC library

Edited by iwantcookies

Apparently I am very lucky.  I live in Milwaukee Cty. and our system is county wide.  I have looked into her books and I have access to all of them with the possible exception of the very earliest books in her list.

Sorry for those of you who do not have access to a great library system.

1 minute ago, kaygeeret said:

Sorry for those of you who do not have access to a great library system.

I live in a rural area and we have a consortium of a large number of libraries.  Sometimes you have to wait awhile but I order books online from other areas all of the time.  Plus we have Hoopla for eBooks as well.

• Love 1

Bridgerton absolutely increased demand for her books.  Even The New York Public Library system has insane wait times.  And all of her books have a waitlist, except, oddly the one that one just released.  I swear right before Bridgerton came out they were all pretty available at NYPL, even the audiobooks.

Hoopla is great because unlike borrowing from the library itself, Hoopla oddly, does not have borrow limits.  But I have heard that it can be pretty expensive for a library to contract with Hoopla.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Hoopla is great because unlike borrowing from the library itself, Hoopla oddly, does not have borrow limits. 

I think it depends on the contract.  Ours has a 10 book/episode limit per month.  They extended that for a while at the beginning of the pandemic though.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I think it depends on the contract.  Ours has a 10 book/episode limit per month.  They extended that for a while at the beginning of the pandemic though.

Oh yeah, I did not mean a limit per person, I meant a limit for simultaneous borrows for an item.  For instance the library may only have 3 copies of an ebook so only three patrons may have that ebook out at a time, hence the long waitlists.  But with Hoopla the book is just available right then and there.

• Love 1

On January 9th, Julia Quinn posted on her FB page that all the books were being reprinted. It was in response to an article about some of the hardbacks being sold for $700 and she told people not to pay those prices. 

I’m late to the discussion about romance novels that should be optioned, but I’m both excited and very nervous for the movie for  Sally Thorne’s  The Hating Game that just wrapped for Netflix. I’ve read it at least 4 times- I love it that much. 

• Love 1

Barnes and Noble have the books (used B&N when I bought the last two Wheel of Time books--they're so long I'd rather read them non ebook--Amazon didn't have them). https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/duke-and-i-julia-quinn/1100248304?ean=9780063078901 Books A Million has The Duke and I cheaper but they seem to be sold out of the other books or limited quantity. https://www.booksamillion.com/p/Bridgerton-tv-Tie/Julia-Quinn/9780063078697?id=8111942597094

On 1/15/2021 at 8:37 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's not an Amazon issue.  I am a librarian and cannot order the print of any Bridgerton book after the first.  The publisher only reprinted that one last year, the rest of the books are impossible to get right now in print.   I just checked the Ripped Bodice bookstore, and they have the second book listed as backordered.  The ebooks are available though.   They will reprint the rest eventually.  Covid has also done a number on the printing side of publishing.   There are delays everywhere forcing publishers to have to prioritize what gets printed.   New releases are naturally more important.  It's very possible that the books will not be reprinted until the trade paperback media tie in for season two.  Which means books 3-8 wont get reprinted for awhile.  

Just wanted to repeat this - it's definitely not an Amazon issue, a library issue or a specifically Avon/Bridgerton/Julia Quinn issue. This is a supply chain issue slamming all publishers at all levels, from micropresses to the major New York publishers.

Thanks to the show, I'm positive that Avon is doing everything possible to get the Bridgerton books back in print, but if paper isn't available, paper isn't available.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Umbelina I read The Wise Woman several years ago as well. I haven’t loved the new stuff by Philippa Gregory. 

Yeah, I honestly can't remember any other books by her that I liked.  The Wise Woman?  Stuck with me.

I was getting on a plane to somewhere and picked it up in an airport bookstore, thinking it would be some gentle tale about healing with herbs and nature gods/goddesses.  Holy shit!  I don't think I slept well for a month, and parts of it still haunt me.  Still I'm glad I read it, the day to day life (or lives as it turned out) of those times felt excruciatingly real.  

On 1/20/2021 at 6:52 AM, chitowngirl said:

Maybe betterworldbooks.com?

On 1/20/2021 at 5:59 PM, Atlanta said:

Barnes and Noble have the books (used B&N when I bought the last two Wheel of Time books--they're so long I'd rather read them non ebook--Amazon didn't have them). https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/duke-and-i-julia-quinn/1100248304?ean=9780063078901 Books A Million has The Duke and I cheaper but they seem to be sold out of the other books or limited quantity. https://www.booksamillion.com/p/Bridgerton-tv-Tie/Julia-Quinn/9780063078697?id=8111942597094

On 1/23/2021 at 7:39 AM, quarks said:

Just wanted to repeat this - it's definitely not an Amazon issue, a library issue or a specifically Avon/Bridgerton/Julia Quinn issue. This is a supply chain issue slamming all publishers at all levels, from micropresses to the major New York publishers.

Thanks to the show, I'm positive that Avon is doing everything possible to get the Bridgerton books back in print, but if paper isn't available, paper isn't available.

They are available on Kindle, not cheap, but available.  $8 each, OR the first 3 for $20.

I gave up on waiting for the books, and since I have audible, I am listening to them rather than reading them.  I just finished the Duke & I and started the second one, The Viscount who loved me.

As a bonus, they're including the "Happily Ever After" epilogues at the end that corresponds to each particular book.   

After listening to the epilogue for The Duke & I , I've decided I'll hold off on them for the remainder of the books, as they completely spoiled some things I'd have rather waited to know about.  

I went to this website to find out what order to read.  It also shows there is a Bridgerton Prequel series called "The Rokesby Series" 

11 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I went to this website to find out what order to read.  It also shows there is a Bridgerton Prequel series called "The Rokesby Series" 

Those books really aren't Bridgerton Prequels.  That is all marketing.  Those books exist in the same world as the Bridgerton books, which is actually something that happens in many a romance writer's oeuvre.  Sarah Maclean, Beverly Jenkins, and Lisa Kleypas all do the same thing.  Sometimes characters from a different series pop up in the latest book, but those are usually cameos.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Callietwo said:

I'm fine with that but thanks for letting me know.  The audible books seem to be in the 12 to 13 hour range which for me means it'll take me a while to wend my way through the Bridgerton series itself anyway.  

Wait.  What?  Each book is 12 to 13 hours?  That seems...excessive. I don't recall them being super long books. 

• Love 2

At normal speed, that is what the first two are, anyway.  Plus, when I listened at night, I tended to doze and would have to repeat 🙂  

The narrator reads it with 'voices' to distinguish which character is speaking, maybe that extends it a bit?

5 minutes ago, Callietwo said:

At normal speed, that is what the first two are, anyway.  Plus, when I listened at night, I tended to doze and would have to repeat 🙂  

The narrator reads it with 'voices' to distinguish which character is speaking, maybe that extends it a bit?

I've been listening to audio books in the car while driving and none are that long.  I just listened to a book that's about the same length of The Viscount Who Loved Me (which is 400 pages---again I say, what?  I don't remember it being that long).  And it was only ten hours long. 

Don’t know what to tell you.  I’m new to listening to fiction so I have nothing with which to compare.  I usually listen to self improvement, self care & productivity 🤷🏼‍♀️ .... but here’s the first two:  

AD1CB97D-72EE-463B-96BE-5A5E387B6C7F.jpeg

edit- I just remembered that they did add the epilogue to each, which added about an hour.

Edited by Callietwo
  • Useful 2
5 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

Thanks.  It's not that I didn't believe you.  I just couldn't believe it. 😄

I won't lie... I kinda rolled my eyes and almost changed my mind when I saw how long it was but I'd already spent my credit on it so I went ahead and listened.  I did like the book and I liked the narration so I went ahead and downloaded book 2.  

If you're interested in aristos and sprawling country estates, I love Julie Montagu's Mapperton Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCySMIzA1MFSsSrkW7TU-jCQ and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJ1_Zw-an79os309hDvHtg

Her in-laws are the earl and countess of Sandwich. 

PS: Rosalyn Landor is an excellent narrator. I love audiobooks and podcasts (got me through marathon training a few years ago) and I'll find narrators I like and other things they have done. Found some authors I never would have heard of otherwise. 

Edited by Atlanta
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Some of you have mentioned Stephanie Lauren’s Cynster series, but I would love it if they produced her Bastion Club series first before spinning off to Devil Cynster and his family. The Bastion Club events take place first on the timeline and has a lot of action and a central mystery. Everyone’s favorite Dalziel would have a lot of TV fans with the right casting. 

Have any of you watched The Cook of Castamar on Netflix? I haven’t seen a thread for it here. It’s Spanish, but I watched it dubbed in English with subtitles. It reminded me of a cross between Downton Abbey and Dangerous Liaisons. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Have any of you watched The Cook of Castamar on Netflix? I haven’t seen a thread for it here. It’s Spanish, but I watched it dubbed in English with subtitles. It reminded me of a cross between Downton Abbey and Dangerous Liaisons. 

I started it but couldn't get into it. Not sure why.

5 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I started it but couldn't get into it. Not sure why.

The first episode did feel a bit slow, but there are a lot of twists and turns in later episodes. The final episode felt a bit rushed though. I enjoy a good period drama so it fit the bill. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

It's on my watch list, but I haven't started it yet.

I have to say, I agree with that article that I am surprised that we haven't seen more romance-based series in development. I agree with the author that sexism is part of the reason why because there is a huge audience for this stuff and one would think they would like producers, etc, would like to make money.

Re Kleypas' Wallflower and Hathaway series - each of those series have two books I really like and two I am meh on (which I generally find with her). But I could see them as series. I'd also like it if they could adapt Sarah Maclean's books - maybe the Rogues series. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Re Kleypas' Wallflower and Hathaway series - each of those series have two books I really like and two I am meh on (which I generally find with her). But I could see them as series. I'd also like it if they could adapt Sarah Maclean's books - maybe the Rogues series

I am curious, which ones do you like and which not?

3 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I have to say, I agree with that article that I am surprised that we haven't seen more romance-based series in development. I agree with the author that sexism is part of the reason why because there is a huge audience for this stuff and one would think they would like producers, etc, would like to make money.

Re Kleypas' Wallflower and Hathaway series - each of those series have two books I really like and two I am meh on (which I generally find with her). But I could see them as series. I'd also like it if they could adapt Sarah Maclean's books - maybe the Rogues series. 

Sarah Maclean doesn't have a Rogue series.  There's the Scandals and Scoundrels or the Rules of Scoundrels.  Both have books with Rogue in their names.  I love all but one of the Rules of Scoundrels (Mara is the worst) , and One Good Earl Deserves a Lover needs an adaptation like right now.  

I like the Wallflower and the Hathaway series, they could do those. And it's cool because they can basically transition from the Wallflowers to the Hathaways. Hell, There's even a Christmas special already written. 😉

"Secrets of a Summer night" and "Mine Till Midnight" are my fave books by far, I don't think that's the popular opinion, but I think the couples in those are most relatable and not too bogged down by OTT self-made romancelandia problems. "Devil in Winter" could be good, but that is bogged down by Kleypas not wanting to acknowledge that the hero abducted and threatened rape of another woman in the prior book. A redemption arc might have been possible, but the book pretends that it's not necessary and he's always had a heart of gold or something. My suspension of disbelief does not go that far. Like the unacknowledged consent issues between Simon and Daphne it's kind of a deal breaker for me. 

(edited)
18 hours ago, magdalene said:

I am curious, which ones do you like and which not?

Oh sorry, I missed this - it's been a while but I recall liking the 2nd and 3rd books of the Wallflower series but finding the first and fourth kind of boring. With the Hathaway series, again, I found the first two books lackluster but I liked the last three.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine

I'd pick the Hathaways, which I find the stronger series. The last book totally caught me by surprises. Never had I expected the precocious kid to get a love story that would pull me in as much as that did.

I really loved Devil in Winter and will be the first to admit it portraits the hero's previous actions as something not too difficult to overcome. I say this because I quit the first two books pretty early on and never got to that part, and wouldn't have guessed the magnitude based on Devil in Winter slome without reading online comments that I did later on.

• Love 1

I just discovered the other day that Netflix is doing is doing a film version of Austin’s Persuasion. Did anyone else see that (the story was like a year old, LOL)? I don’t know…there is some highly questionable casting in this movie. The main guy from Rich Crazy Asians has been cast in it (which, A+), but not as the lead! The actress from the 50 Shades movies is playing Anne here, and you can Google the guy playing  Captain Wentworth, Cosmo Jarvis. Yikes, I’m not sure, but this has the potential to be very bad!

• Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I'd pick the Hathaways, which I find the stronger series. The last book totally caught me by surprises. Never had I expected the precocious kid to get a love story that would pull me in as much as that did.

I really loved Devil in Winter and will be the first to admit it portraits the hero's previous actions as something not too difficult to overcome. I say this because I quit the first two books pretty early on and never got to that part, and wouldn't have guessed the magnitude based on Devil in Winter slome without reading online comments that I did later on.

Re the Hathaways series, the Leo/Marks story is my favorite but I was also surprised how much I liked Beatrix's book. I don't often like stories built around "quirky" heroines because they sometimes veer into Manic Pixie Dream Girls territory (incidentally, I stopped reading Julia Quinn because I started to feel like she leaned way too much into zany quirkiness instead of actual character development). But Kleypas did a good job of making Beatrix a real character and not just a collection of cute quirks and the conflict between her and Christopher was interesting. 

I also like Devil in Winter, though I was fully aware of Sebastatian's behavior. I just didn't feel like he was being let off the hook for it. It seemed to me the entire subtext of the book was him recognizing the consequences of his bad behavior and coming to terms with it. But I get why others would find it distasteful. 

18 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

I just discovered the other day that Netflix is doing is doing a film version of Austin’s Persuasion. Did anyone else see that (the story was like a year old, LOL)? I don’t know…there is some highly questionable casting in this movie. The main guy from Rich Crazy Asians has been cast in it (which, A+), but not as the lead! The actress from the 50 Shades movies is playing Anne here, and you can Google the guy playing  Captain Wentworth, Cosmo Jarvis. Yikes, I’m not sure, but this has the potential to be very bad!

Dakota Johnson is IMO a good actress, so I have no issues on that score. I haven't seen Crazy, Rich Asians but Mr. Eliot is meant to be handsome and charming but also untrustworthy. I wouldn't cast Henry Golding (who is both handsome and charming - hopefully he can do untrustworthy, too) as Captain Wentworth, either, because Captain Wentworth is a little more grizzled and seasoned. I agree that the wild card is Cosmo Jarvis as Captain Wentworth, about whom I know nothing. But beyond him, I don't have issues with the casting. 

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 4

I agree about the Hathaways series making the better series to adapt because like Bridgerton it's a family story.  That's how I enjoyed reading those books - as a serialized family story. I have a lot of affection for all the siblings. Especially Leo and Beatrix.

As for the Wallflowers - I like the first one because it has a hero who is not an aristocrat.  I think Kleypas does that kind very well.  But my favorite is Devil In Winter.  That couple has amazing chemistry and the hero while flawed is rather attractive. Grins.  Also, Sebastian isn't so bad when you compare him with certain romance "heroes" of my teenage years.  Two I remember to this day:  the "hero" of Edith Laytons  "The Duke's Wager".  And another Sebastian - Patricia Gaffneys To Have and To Hold.  It was published as a romance back in the day but I seriously doubt you could publish this book today as a mainstream romance without making significant changes.  The "hero" in that book isn't some pretend rake and it's all the more disturbing because a lot is from his POV.

My favorite Wallflower book is Devil In Winter (my least favorite is Daisy's) and my favorite Hathaway book is Poppy's (the male love interest is a self made man from New York). My least favorite Hathaway book is Win's.

5 hours ago, Atlanta said:

My favorite Wallflower book is Devil In Winter (my least favorite is Daisy's) and my favorite Hathaway book is Poppy's (the male love interest is a self made man from New York). My least favorite Hathaway book is Win's.

Isn't the hero from Daisy's book also a self made man from New York? :) Personally, I found Daisy's book kind of dull and Harry from Poppy's book too overbearing. On the plus side, I finished both of them, something that cannot be Said of the first two Wallflower books.

1 hour ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains how to post Tumblr gifs on this site? There are times I would like to do that, but I don’t know how!! 

Just paste the image link into your post. The forum does the rest.

8 hours ago, bijoux said:

Just paste the image link into your post. The forum does the rest.

Sorry, another question. I was able to successfully test-post a Tumblr gif this morning on my desktop. But are you all doing this from your phones? I'm not able to figure out how to copy and paste the correct link using the Tumblr app on my phone (the link it copies does not embed the gif, or whatever). Thanks so much for the help!