Type keyword(s) to search

Batwoman Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

On 4/26/2020 at 10:18 AM, Trini said:

Promo photos for 1.18 are out: https://batwoman.tv/if-you-believe-in-me-i-ll-believe-in-you-gallery

Batwoman is captured, Reagan is back, and Mary at a mob meeting??

Nooooo!

Is the co-worker Sophie is getting closer to Julia? I still think there's some chemistry there.

Why does Mary need to prove herself to Kate? It should be the other way around. I am tired of Mary begging for Kate's approval. That's why I wanted Kate to reveal her secret identity to her even though Mary already knows.

2 hours ago, Starry said:

Why does Mary need to prove herself to Kate? It should be the other way around.

Good question. My guess is that Mary needs to prove - or thinks she needs to prove - that she's fully capable of being part of Team Bat on the action side, not just the researching/patching people up/giving needed pep talks side.

Ok so it looks like I wasn't the only one thinking it looked like Julia and Sophie were going to get cosy. They did have chemistry last episode but it's going to be messy due to Kate, even if it ends with Sophie and Kate acknowledging their feelings ala Oliver/Sara on Arrow. And I'm still very on the fence about Kate/Sophie in general.

I liked Reagan so I don't mind she's back but she's probably not going to last past the end of the episode if the promo of them jumping into bed again is anything to go by. And whilst bartender works better for Kate now she runs are bar it's still an extremely "temp love interest/stall" job.

With Mary, yes, I assume it's going to be her thinking she has to prove herself to Kate to be on Team Batwoman and get involved with a side of Kate worrying about her getting (even more) hurt if she's deliberately confronting danger with them. Even though she's been Robin Hooding it on her own for ages. 

1.19 synopsis:

"A Secret Kept From All the Rest" -

CRACKING THE CODE - When members of Gotham's intelligentsia begin disappearing, Commander Kane (Dougray Scott), Sophie (Meagan Tandy) and the Crows go searching for the newest homicidal threat to the city.

In the meantime, Kate (Ruby Rose) is consumed with someone's betrayal and starts questioning the loyalty of everyone around her just when she needs them most. So when Luke (Camrus Johnson) and Julia (guest star Christina Wolfe) go missing, Batwoman must rely on Mary (Nicole Kang) and a former foe to deploy her rescue mission.

Meanwhile, Alice (Rachel Skarsten) enlists Tommy Elliot (guest star Gabriel Mann) to help acquire an elusive item that her sister also seeks.

Greg Beeman directed the episode written by Jerry Shandy and Kelly Larson (#119). Original airdate 5/10/2020.

----

Hmmm-- who's the betrayer??

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Wow, this is long; 1.20 synopsis:

SEASON FINALE

BATWOMAN

"O, Mouse!" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

SEASON FINALE - When one of Gotham's former heroes returns to his old stomping grounds to settle a score, both Batwoman (Ruby Rose) and Commander Kane (Dougray Scott) find themselves on the defensive.

Meanwhile, Alice (Rachel Skarsten) has uncovered what could finally take down Batwoman, but she is losing hold on her henchman Mouse (guest star Sam Littlefield) and Hush (guest star Gabriel Mann), sending her spiraling into her most wicked self.

Luke (Camrus Johnson) immediately focuses on finding a way to protect Batwoman from Alice, and Mary (Nicole Kang) has a chance to be the sister Kate has needed all along.

New information surfaces, forcing Julia (guest star Christina Wolfe) to warn Sophie (Meagan Tandy) about the person pulling the strings.

And in a final standoff, when Commander Kane refuses to retreat from his war on Batwoman, Kate may find herself more than heartbroken by her father's choices.

Amanda Tapping directed the episode written by Holly Henderson and Don Whitehead (#120). Original airdate 5/17/2020.

(edited)

I'm kind of intrigued by "one of Gotham's former heroes". Is that someone from the Bat-family? A former Crow, or GCPD officer? Probably not a Robin, since it's kinda late in the season to introduce a well-known Batfamily character. Also there's just seems to be a lot going on in this one.

Edited by Trini

This is spoiler-ish for the finale so I'm putting this here for now; Season 2 blurb from CW's 2020/2021 season press release:

... At the end of the first season, Crows Commander Jacob Kane (Dougray Scott) has declared a war on Batwoman, forcing everyone around them to choose sides. Meanwhile, Batwoman's arch-nemesis Alice (Rachel Skarsten) is focused on acquiring the one thing that can take down the Bat, pulling off her most devious plan yet with the help of Bruce Wayne's former best friend Tommy Elliot, now terrorizing the city as the villain Hush.

Season two kicks off with a major game-changer that will alter Gotham and The Bat Team forever. As the dust settles, Batwoman has everything working against her - including the recently escaped rogues' gallery of villains - and everyone will come to see her in a whole new light.

Alice meets her match when she becomes entangled with a dangerous foe from her past who knows exactly how to prey on her vulnerabilities. As Luke (Camrus Johnson) and Mary (Nicole Kang) find their footing as sidekicks, a romance will shake up their dynamic.

Meanwhile, Sophie (Megan Tandy) and Julia's (guest star Christina Wolfe) budding relationship will face its first real test and make Sophie question everything she thought she knew to be true. ...

---

So I'm guessing Sophie finally gets in on the secret identity.

(edited)

Whether or not this proves true in the long run, I wanted to note this quote here since it had been brought up here before;

From the showrunner's interview at EW:

Which character’s journey surprised you the most and deviated from the original plan?

We had sort of planned out all of these arcs from the beginning. The thing we weren’t planning was the Sophie-Julia-Kate love triangle, and I kind of love how that came about organically and added more layers to the Sophie-Kate endgame love story. That’s been really fun to write.

----

Dries also give a bunch of info on Season 2 arcs in various interviews. I might try to post them at some point.

Edited by Trini

I wonder if Safiyah has already been cast? No one knew when Bruce Wayne('s face) was going to show up, it's possible we could have seen glimpse of her in the finale if the shutdowns hadn't happened.

Just random speculation, but does anyone think they might address the recasting by having Alice stealing her face and replacing it with someone else's? I mean, what's the point of having face swapping and not using it in a situation like this? And considering Ruby Rose's reasons for leaving are due to injuries from before the airing of the pilot, I could even believe this has been in the works for awhile and the reason the face-swapping escalated in the end of the season. 

4 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Just random speculation, but does anyone think they might address the recasting by having Alice stealing her face and replacing it with someone else's? I mean, what's the point of having face swapping and not using it in a situation like this? And considering Ruby Rose's reasons for leaving are due to injuries from before the airing of the pilot, I could even believe this has been in the works for awhile and the reason the face-swapping escalated in the end of the season. 

Having the change as part of the plot would mean they'd need to bring Rose back if they ever wanted to have a flashback to Kate at any point after childhood. Would be limiting to the writers.

Also if they face swapped Kate to start next season it would make it much harder to get away with whatever Bruce Wayne/Tommy Elliot shenanigans they have planned without team Bat quickly realizing he isn't the real Bruce.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, it looks like Kate's getting replaced by a new Batwoman. 

https://decider.com/2020/06/02/batwoman-season-2-ryan-wilder-replace-kate-kane-batwoman/

Hmm. Not sure how I feel about this. Kind of wish they just had Sophie/Julia/Mary take up the mantle instead. I realize Mary has no business being Batwoman, but she is my favorite.

ETA: Actually never mind I hopped over to the Media thread and now I am all about the Helena Wayne spec. Yes. Yes. Yes. 

Edited by bettername2come

$5 says the real Bruce Wayne shows up to distract from this recasting fiasco in Season 2. (Like how Superman guest starred in Supergirl after it changed networks.)

How would you handle the replacement of Ruby Rose? It really all boils down to if RR is prepared to come back to the show to do a handover ep.

1. If she is then Batwoman is crippled in an explosion which pitches her into the Gotham River. She is fished out by the new potential Batwoman  whom she takes into her confidence and returns her to the Batcave. The new Batwoman is forced to don the suit to take on the villain du jour whilst Mary packs Kate off to an experimental clinic to try to rehabilitate her spine (leaving it open for her to return).

2. If she doesn't want to do a handover episode then the same scenario except that the new Batwoman strips the body of the Batsuit and then seeks out Luke at the funeral (presenting each of the mourners with the voice modulator from the Batsuit, everyone else looking baffled but Luke obviously recognising it). She convinces him to let her take over and continue Kate's legacy.  

3. We start with Kate's funeral and a series of flashbacks where a dying Batwoman stumbles back into the Batcave and Luke and Mary fight and fail to save her. When a series of Batwoman copycats take to the streets and one is killed Luke realises that someone will always seek to fill the role and that he must pick a successor to Kate and put Bruce Wayne's resources behind her in order to give her a fighting chance. And you won't believe who one of the fake Batwomen actually is....   

4. Kate is affected by a villain's mind altering poison (multiple possibilities as to whom?) and ends up in Arkham where no one pays any attention to her ravings about being Batwoman. Luke sets a series of tests for potential candidates to replace her.  

5. Kate goes off the deep end and actually starts killing the criminals, Mary and Luke teaming up to have her arrested and placed in Blackgate. She sends a letter to a friend of hers she encountered on her travels asking her to come to Gotham and take her role.   

(edited)

Exclusive: ‘Batwoman’ Eyes ‘Riverdale’s Vanessa Morgan For Lead Character Replacement Ryan Wilder
Emre Kaya   June 8, 2020
https://www.thecinemaspot.com/2020/06/08/exclusive-batwoman-eyes-riverdales-vanessa-morgan-for-lead-character-replacement-ryan-wilder/ 

The Cinema Spot has exclusively learned that Riverdale actress Vanessa Morgan is being eyed to play Ryan Wilder on the Batwoman television show.
A few weeks after the initial announcement, a casting call for a character with the name “Ryan Wilder” was found on Reddit, which has since been confirmed by showrunner Caroline Dries. She stated at the ATX Television Festival that they are creating a new character instead of recasting Kate:

"I’m inventing a whole new character. In her past, she was inspired by Batwoman. She is going to take on the mantle and is completely maybe not be the right person at the time to be doing it. That’s what makes it fun."
Earlier this week, Vanessa Morgan called out the popular young adult series Riverdale for sidelining Black characters, stating:

"Tired of how Black people are portrayed in Media, tired of us being portrayed as thugs, dangerous or angry scary people. Tired of us also being used as sidekick non-dimensional characters to our white leads. Or only used in the ads for diversity but not actually in the show."

Morgan is currently the only black lead on the hit CW show. Riverdale creator Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa replied with the following:

"We hear Vanessa. We love Vanessa. She’s right. We’re sorry and we make the same promise that we did to her. We will do better to honor her and the character she plays. As well as all of our actors and characters of color. CHANGE is happening and will continue to happen. Riverdale will get bigger, not smaller. Riverdale will be part of the movement, not outside it."
We’ve heard that alongside her audition, Vanessa Morgan will also be doing a screen test. This screen test will presumably be done with other members of the main cast.

This does not mean that other actresses can not audition for the role, though. The CW wants an actress who is younger than 30 years old, and “gets” Berlanti Productions and its culture.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

The following three audition videos were posted for "Ryan Wilder" on Vimeo (same two audition scenes)...

UDINE/Batwoman
Posted by Julia Udine on June 8, 2020

Scene 1:
Reader (off-screen): "Hi. Excuse me. Hello?"
Julia Udine: "Me?"
Reader: "Yes, you. The literal only person in this parking lot. You have something that belongs to us."
JU: "Uh, okay. I don't have much, but you should probably be specific."
Reader: "Batwoman's suit. And save whatever story you're about to make up. It's basically a computer. We traced its GPS to here, where you're the only one around, Miss -?"
JU: "Ms... Wilder. Ryan. And who do I have the pleasure of being interrogated by?"
Reader: "Just give us the suit."
JU: "I don't even know who you are."
Reader: "The Bat Team."
JU: "There's an actual team?"
Reader: "Look. The suit's meant for someone specific. Someone worthy of wearing it. No offense, you're not that person."
JU: "You mean I'm not Kate Kane. Yeah. I know. I saw everything go down. Put two and two together. I'm sorry. For everything."
Reader: "Kate was our friend, okay? We're not about to let someone undo all the good she's done for this city by rewriting her legacy."
JU: "I don't want to rewrite it. I want to finish it."
Reader: "It's finished. The story's over."
JU: "Mine's not. And neither is Jonathan Crane's."
Reader: "What?"
JU: "Jonathan Crane killed my mom. And now he's out there somewhere getting away with it. Like my mom's life didn't matter."
Reader: "I'm really sorry about your mom. But that suit means a lot to us."
JU: "My mom died in my arms. And the only thing that gets my ass out of bed in the morning is to lie to myself and to say that one day I'll be strong enough to ruin his life the way that he ruined mine. So you want to know what this suit means to me? It means I don't have to lie anymore. Now, you can either fight me for it, which I promise will end up badly for two of us, or you can have it back when Crane is dead."

Scene 2:
JU (after falling to ground): "Nobody saw that."
Reader (off-screen): "Uh, yeah. You'll want to use the cape to slow your descent."
JU: "Copy that."
Reader: "Okay, good. Now, look heroic."
JU: "Huh?"
Reader: "Like, you know, the embodiment of courage, hope and justice."
JU: "Just to be clear, I am zero percent any of those things."
Reader: "Oh my God, just pose!"
JU (posing): "How's this?"
Reader: "Now straighten the back. Lose the hands on the hips. Overkill. Clench your fists. Chin up. Angle your cape so it catches some wind."
JU: "Good?"
Reader: "There she is."
JU: "Citizens of Gotham. You need to get out of here immediately."
Reader: "Yeah."
JU: "No. Really, people. You need to get the f**k out -"
Reader: "Aaand... Batwoman's first public f-bomb."
JU: "Holy shit, did you see that?"
Reader: "Last reported outside the Robin's Tower. You need to get there. It's 2.5 kilometers away from your position."
JU: "Metric. Really?"
Reader: "Go!"

TANYA FEAR BATWOMAN
Posted by Tanya Fear on June 8, 2020

Same two audition scenes as above (except for minor dialogue variations).

JH - Ryan Wilder
Posted by Jemma Hendricks on June 5, 2020

Same two audition scenes as above (except for minor dialogue variations).

ETA: Looks like these videos were removed.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Batwoman Audition Tape Offers Insight Into Kate Kane's Successor
Jim Johnson   June 9, 2020
https://www.cbr.com/batwoman-ruby-rose-successor-audition-tape-ryan-wilder/

A screen test for Ruby Rose's replacement on The CW's Batwoman has shed some light on the show's new character -- and she has ties to the Bat-family's past.

After the casting call appeared on Reddit for a new character named "Ryan Wilder," Batwoman showrunner Caroline Dries confirmed the character would be taking the place of Rose's Kate Kane. A now-deleted audition tape featured actor Jemma Hendricks auditioning for the role.

In the video, Hendricks' character appeared to get caught red-handed with Batwoman's costume, thanks to an embedded GPS tracker. The character is approached by two off-camera members of the "Bat-team" and then identified herself as Ryan Wilder. Wilder knows Kate Kane was Batwoman, stating she "saw everything that went down and put two and two together," presumably regarding Kane's last moments as the crimefighter. Kane's exact fate isn't revealed.
"Kate was our friend," the off-camera voice said, possibly playing the role of Luke Fox. "And we're not about to let someone undo all the good she's done for this city by rewriting her legacy."

"I'm not rewriting it," Wilder said. "I'm finishing it."

Wilder then went on to reveal that Jonathan Crane -- aka The Scarecrow -- killed her mother, and she wants to adopt the role of Batwoman in order to confront and kill him. Wilder threatened to fight the Bat-team for the suit if they don't let her keep it long enough to finish off Crane.

The team apparently relents, as Wilder is next seen in a mock-up of the suit, undergoing training as the new Batwoman. Her character is woefull
The name "Ryan Wilder" may be a pseudonym, however, to keep the identity of the actual character under wraps. There is currently no character with that name in DC or The CW continuity.

‘Batwoman’ Audition Tape Teases Kate Kane’s Fate
Jacob Campbell  June 9, 2020
https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/06/09/batwoman-audition-tape-kate-kane-fate/

It was recently announced that The CW is eyeing Vanessa Morgan for the role of Ryan Wilder in Batwoman. However, a newly surfaced audition tape revealed another actress is trying for the role, and it also teased Kate Kane’s fate.

An audition tape from actress Jemma Hendricks has surfaced online, revealing what happened to Ruby Rose’s Kane. In the video, it is implied that the character has since died, and now Wilder is running around in the Batwoman suit. Wilder has seemingly stolen the suit from the Bat team who are now trying to get it back.

The audition tape also revealed some new details about Wilder’s character. It seems that she has taken on the mantle of Batwoman to try and avenge her mother, who was killed by Jonathan Crane aka, Scarecrow.

The video also featured Hendricks training to be Batwoman with a man who is assumed to be Luke Fox in the background. She seems to struggle with the role a bit, so it will be interesting to see how she grows into it during the season.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Those scenes read very Evelyn Sharpe/Baby Canary/Artemis in "Canary Cry". 

I know the scenes are often deliberately wrong to throw people off spoilers so take with a giant pinch of salt but they're definitely leaning towards the Kate is dead not just left Gotham option. 

I haven't watched Riverdale in years so I don't know much about her apart from recently calling the producers out on their treatment of black actors and characters so I don't know if she'd be a good fit. Is she LGBT? 

Assuming "CinemaSpot" actually does have the correct info it doesn't seem like she's got the part, just that she's testing for it, probably alongside others 

2 hours ago, tv echo said:

The CW wants an actress who is younger than 30 years old, and “gets” Berlanti Productions and its culture.

This I completely believe after whatever went down with RR. Meaning already experienced with spending months in Vancouver for scale pay on shows with insanely long hours and that don't necessarily have a great safety record. 

Edited by Featherhat
(edited)

More audition tapes for "Ryan Wilder" (same scenes as above audition videos, with minor dialogue variations)...

GRACE STOCKDALE_BATWOMAN
Posted by Songbird Studio on Jun 9, 2020

BATWOMAN SelfTape
Posted by Adirenne Rose   on June 9, 2020

Ava Grey/ Batwoman/ Sc 2 (a)
Posted by Ava Grey on June 9, 2020

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Another audition video for "Ryan Wilder" (same first audition scene as above)...

RYAN-BATWOMAN
Posted by graceodougherty on June 15, 2020

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Same two audition scenes for "Ryan Wilder" as for above auditions...

BW Audition Side 1 and Side 2
Posted by Ayanna Bakari on Jun 16, 2020

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

More audition videos for "Ryan Wilder" (same two audition scenes as before)...

Batwoman - Lauren Balone 
Posted by Lauren Juliette Balone on June 26, 2020

Whitney Johnson - RYAN WILDER - Batwoman S2
Posted by Whitney Johnson on June 22, 2020

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

WWE's Sonya Deville On Wanting To Play BATWOMAN, Whether She's Auditioned, Pride Month, & More - EXCLUSIVE
Josh Wilding   June 11, 2020
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/dc/batwoman/wwes-sonya-deville-on-wanting-to-play-batwoman-whether-shes-auditioned-pride-month-more-exclusive-a175986

... Soon after, we learned that The CW would be looking for another actress from the LGBTQ+ community to take over as the Scarlet Knight, and one name that's kept coming up ever since is WWE Superstar Sonya Deville (Daria Berenato). 

The first openly gay female wrestler in the company's history, she's become an instant fan-favourite choice to play Batwoman, and is currently one of the top stars on FOX's Friday Night SmackDown.
How did you first learn that The CW is looking for a new Batwoman? 
I actually got tagged in something on Instagram or Twitter by one of my fans saying, 'Oh my God, Sonya would be the perfect replacement for Ruby Rose.' I was like, 'Wait a second, Ruby Rose stepped down?' I had no idea, and so then I looked online and saw that she had stepped down from the role, so was like, 'Oh wow, this is like a dream role right here.'

It's been confirmed that the Batwoman in season 2 will be a new character called Ryan Wilder, so how would you feel about playing a new creation rather than following Ruby Rose as another Kate Kane?
I think that's always cool because Ruby obviously did a great job with the character, and you don't ever want to be a different version of somebody else. You want to be a new version of yourself, and so I think that would be an amazing opportunity to create a new role and bring something very different to it, you know?
Absolutely. Now, I know you've been talking about the role on social media, but have you had any contact with The CW at all or been given the chance to audition?
In progress. I'm working on it. [Laughs] I'll say that. 
Have you got WWE's support when it comes to potentially playing the character, or is it something still very much in the early stages for you right now?
I think they would be on board, but yes, very early stages right now. 
With your background as a fighter and pro wrestler, is that sort of physicality something you think might give you an advantage over anyone else vying for the role?
I think it should! I literally would be my own stuntwoman. The intensity and the aggression and the physicality which comes with being a WWE Superstar I think translates over to television and film too. It's kind of one and the same world, so I think that would be a very smooth transition and help the role if anything. 
In the past when a pro wrestler was interested in a superhero role, there would often be an uproar from comic book fans, but that perception has changed. What's it been like for you to see that support and not the negativity you might have got five or ten years ago?
It's kind of crazy. Like I said, the fans brought the role to me. I didn't even see it until they tagged me in it, but once I'd seen it and quote Tweeted it or whatever, they just started going, 'Oh my God, Sonya needs to be Batwoman,' and I was like, 'Yeah, I freaking do need to be Batwoman!' They got me excited about it, so the support has been crazy, and I think timing is everything. It's ironic, but also not, that I've been showing I can talk on the mic and obviously I have acting abilities, and then this role comes up. I think everything works out as it should.
Thank you so much for that. One final superhero question - if Batwoman doesn't work out, are there any other superhero roles you might have your eye on in future?
I'm a little near-sighted right now, so I'm going to stay in the moment and say I want the Batwoman role, and whatever happens, will happen.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I already know season 2 is gonna suck. Because choosing to replace Kate instead of simply recasting her just erases everything fans watched season 1 for and the reason they stayed with the show this long.

Kate Kane is the only Batwoman. I just hope the producers realise that before making a terrible mistake.

Edited by rogvortex58
On 6/30/2020 at 10:42 AM, rogvortex58 said:

Because choosing to replace Kate instead of simply recasting her just erases everything fans watched season 1 for and the reason they stayed with the show this long.

Not all fans of the show were enamored by RR's acting ability.  I stayed with the show because of the writing and the characters of Mary and Luke.  I am looking forward to season 2 with great anticipation.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Not all fans of the show were enamored by RR's acting ability.  I stayed with the show because of the writing and the characters of Mary and Luke.  I am looking forward to season 2 with great anticipation.

I wasn't a big fan of RR but you don't have to be to be frustrated about a new character and not a recasting with a new Kate. All of the supporting cast, with the possible exception of Luke were deeply connected to her, not Batwoman. 

I also watched mainly for Mary and grew to enjoy Luke a lot and I'm cautiously positively interested in S2 with JL to see what she brings but I'm worried about the somewhat inevitable changes to the supporting cast. Do we need Jacob, Alice, Sophie or Mary if "Ryan Wilder" has her own family and friends? There are ways that Mary and Sophie can be used (Crow, Robin Hood team doctor) but the others are more wild cards. 

• Love 1
On 7/17/2020 at 3:13 PM, Featherhat said:

I wasn't a big fan of RR but you don't have to be to be frustrated about a new character and not a recasting with a new Kate. All of the supporting cast, with the possible exception of Luke were deeply connected to her, not Batwoman. 

I also watched mainly for Mary and grew to enjoy Luke a lot and I'm cautiously positively interested in S2 with JL to see what she brings but I'm worried about the somewhat inevitable changes to the supporting cast. Do we need Jacob, Alice, Sophie or Mary if "Ryan Wilder" has her own family and friends? There are ways that Mary and Sophie can be used (Crow, Robin Hood team doctor) but the others are more wild cards. 

It's looks like as of now the entire supporting cast is returning based on social media posts.

I dont think they'll ever get rid of Alice or Mary since fans and TPTB love them so much.

I just hope the show continues Julia/Sophie. They have so much chemistry.

• Love 2
On 7/21/2020 at 8:15 AM, Proteus said:

It's looks like as of now the entire supporting cast is returning based on social media posts.

I dont think they'll ever get rid of Alice or Mary since fans and TPTB love them so much.

I just hope the show continues Julia/Sophie. They have so much chemistry.

Well, that's good news at least. Having watched the last ep I'm baffled as to how they'll handle the changeover, maybe Kate will leave Gotham now that 'Bruce' has returned and when the new girl takes over she doesn't feel the need to come back?  

https://tvline.com/2020/09/10/batwoman-shivaani-ghai-season-2-safiyah/

Dominion actress Shivani Ghai has been tapped to join the CW drama’s Season 2 cast in the pivotal recurring role, TVLine has learned. The character — who was referred to on multiple occasions in Season 1 — is the “fiercely protective ruler of a small community on the island of Coryana,” per the official character description. “A woman with as many enemies as aliases, she is compassionate and charismatic with both physical and psychological prowess. She is beloved by her people and will stop at nothing to protect what’s hers. No one goes unnoticed by Safiyah, specifically when it comes to those who have encountered the Desert Rose.”

Regarding the decision to delay the character’s introduction until Season 2, Batwoman showrunner Caroline Dries previously explained to TVLine, “I didn’t want to bring her on in Season 1, because I think she would have gotten lost with Hush and all the cool stuff we were doing with Batwoman coming into her own, and obviously Batwoman and Alice. So we just hinted at her. But now that we’ve established her as a person that Alice is terrified of, I’m excited to bring her in as the Big Bad, at least from Alice’s point of view, because she’s the one person, we’ll find out, knows how Alice’s mind works, and is able to manipulate her.

Edited by Trini

https://deadline.com/2020/09/batwoman-leah-gibson-nathan-owens-recur-the-cw-superhero-series-1234583200/

Jessica Jones alumna Leah Gibson and Nathan Owens (Devious Maids) are set for recurring roles on the second season of the CW’s Batwoman. Both will join new lead Javicia Leslie, along with Shivaani Ghai, who also recurs in the superhero series. Season 2 is slated to premiere in January.

Gibson will play Tatiana aka “The Whisper.” She is a skilled assassin, unflappable and cold as ice in the face of danger. She is one of Safiyah’s most important henchwomen and still harbors feelings for her powerful boss.

Owens will portray Ocean, a zen gardener and thinker with a complicated past. A loyal soldier and fighter, Ocean moves to Gotham looking for a new beginning.

A gardener in Gotham?? Or will he be tending to the Wayne (Kane?) Estate grounds?

I just remembered that Luke and Mary are supposed to have a love triangle in Season 2; so I'm guessing that "Ocean"(Wow, they suck at names) is the third corner. So he'll probably be introduced through Mary. I guess the Kanes do have gardens somewhere!

A little bit more info from the new costume press release;

While Ryan Wilder initially dons Kate Kane's suit at the beginning of the upcoming season two of Batwoman, as Ryan grows into her newfound role as Batwoman, she redesigns the suit. In the third episode, Ryan reveals the new Batsuit, sending a message to Gotham that a New Hero has arrived.

"I was asked by Caroline Dries to design a Batsuit that was unique to the character of Ryan Wilder; as she is a highly skilled fighter, encapsulating her raw, athletic, and passionate nature was imperative. As Batwoman, Javicia Leslie not only brings a fresh perspective, but physical strength to the role. It was important for the new suit to define Javicia's commanding presence while showcasing her athleticism and allowing her the freedom to express the physical nature of Batwoman, all while looking ultra-cool in the process!"

[Not sure if this is shade to the previous Batwoman...]

And an updated character description:

Ryan Wilder is about to become Batwoman. She's relatable, messy, loyal, a little goofy, and apart from being a lesbian, she couldn't be more different than the woman who wore the Batsuit before her, billionaire Kate Kane. Ryan, who we meet living in her van with only her plant for company, has been made to feel trapped and powerless by the system her whole life, and believes the Batsuit is the key to breaking out of it. But what she'll come to discover is that it's not the suit that makes Ryan Wilder powerful, it's the woman inside of it who finds her destiny in changing Gotham City for good.

They took the drug running part out; glad about that.

Season 2/premiere(?) synopsis:

In season two of BATWOMAN, when Ryan Wilder (Javicia Leslie) first discovers Kate Kane’s Batsuit, she has no idea how drastically her life is about to change. A sassy, smart lesbian with a difficult past, Ryan sees the suit as her chance to finally be powerful and no longer a victim as she survives in the tough streets of the city.

While Ryan goes rogue in the shadows, Gotham grapples with their missing hero, believing Batwoman has fled the city after a public stand-off with Commander Jacob Kane (Dougray Scott) and the Crows. But Kate Kane’s disappearance hits hardest at home where Jacob, Sophie (Meagan Tandy), Luke (Camrus Johnson), Mary (Nicole Kang) and even Alice (Rachel Skarsten) each struggle with the devastating news in their own way. Meanwhile, the False Face Society tightens its grip on Gotham, distributing a perilous new drug known as Snakebite, “Bruce Wayne” (Warren Christie) finds his way home to wreak havoc, Safiyah (Shivaani Ghai) surfaces with plans for revenge, and a new set of villains descends on the city.

It’s not long before Ryan realizes how much the symbol on the suit means to Gotham, launching her on a personal journey that takes her from fledgling substitute to confident caped crusader, from living in her van with her plant to chasing villains in the Batmobile. Ryan Wilder becomes a very different Batwoman than Kate Kane – her own Batwoman – but with the same understanding of what it means to be a hero.

----

I don't know how much actual story/screentime each will get, but there seems to be A LOT of villains for Season 2.

Edited by Trini

From TVLine:

What will happen to Sophie’s role on Batwoman? –Belle

Let’s just say that the Crows badass (played by Meagan Tandy) has her own complicated history with Ryan Wilder (Javicia Leslie) aka she who would be the new Batwoman.

Are there any plans for Julia in Season 2 of Batwoman? –Justin

Let’s just say that “Bruce Wayne” (played by Warren Christie) would be wise to steer clear of Alfred’s daughter (Christina Wolfe), whilst roaming around town.

-------

Well, it's makes better sense that the new Batwoman isn't a TOTAL stranger; but on the other hand, it's kind of contrived that she also has a history with Sophie, just like the previous Batwoman.

They should have just made her related to someone already in the Bat Family.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Synopsis for the Season 2 premiere:

"What Happened to Kate Kane?"

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN – Kate’s friends and family hold on to hope that Kate may still be found, a homeless 25-year-old named Ryan Wilder (Javicia Leslie) stumbles upon Kate’s Batsuit. Focused on no longer being a victim, Ryan takes the suit to use as armor and goes rogue in the streets of Gotham, taking out various members of a new gang called the False Face Society.

Meanwhile, both Jacob Kane (Dougray Scott) and Luke Fox (Camrus Johnson) launch searches for Kate, Mary Hamilton (Nicole Kang) grapples with losing yet another family member, Sophie Moore (Meagan Tandy) struggles with things left unsaid to her first love, and Alice (Rachel Skarsten) is furious that someone got to Kate before she could exact her revenge.

At the same time, “Bruce Wayne” (guest star Warren Christie) returns under the pretense of searching for Kate, but the truth is he wants his suit back and it becomes the clash of imposters as “Batwoman” and “Bruce” square off in the action-packed season premiere.

Holly Dale directed the episode written by Caroline Dries (#201). Original airdate 1/17/2021.