Type keyword(s) to search

Batwoman Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

https://tvline.com/2021/10/07/batwoman-season-3-preview-ryan-mother-alice-mental-health-crisis/

I like how they have to pretend as if it's a question if Jada and Marquis are Ryan's family, but Javicia already confirmed that they are.

I don't like how they seem to be saying that the loss of the Bat Trophies is Ryan's fault(/"mess"). It was NOT.

I hope they tie in the Desert Rose to Poison Ivy; it would be one way get something out of that Safiyah arc from last season.

3.03 synopsis:

"Freeze" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

LEFT OUT IN THE COLD - An unfortunate incident in downtown Gotham alerts Batwoman (Javicia Leslie) and the Bat Team that another missing trophy has made its way into the wrong hands.

Meanwhile, a new member of the Jet family surfaces when Marquis Jet (Nick Creegan) makes a not-so-subtle entrance, interrupting a very personal moment between Ryan and Jada (Robin Givens).

Back on the streets, cryogenics is the name of the game and Sophie (Meagan Tandy) reminds everyone she's a badass, especially in the middle of life-threatening situations.

Batwing (Camrus Johnson) must decide if he's ready to suit up again, and at Mary's (Nicole Kang) clinic, the Hippocratic Oath forces a strained sisterly moment between Alice (Rachel Skarsten) and the new doc.

Greg Beeman directed the episode written by Nancy Kiu (#303). Original airdate 10/27/2021.

---

This is kind of badly written? Anyway, Sounds like everyone has stuff to do in this one.

https://ew.com/tv/batwoman-season-3-preview-javicia-leslie/

"Season 3 is definitely a continuation of season 2, but Ryan is now firmly planted as Batwoman," showrunner Caroline Dries tells EW. "She's confident, she knows her role, [and] her biggest problem now is, 'I have to clean up this mess I made at the end of season 2.'"

The mess she's referring to is the Bat team losing track of Batman's villain trophies in the season 2 finale....

This wasn't her fault??!

Dries adds, "That was our key goal this season: to create [Ryan's] own rogues gallery. To [give Ryan] her own personal mess that she created, that's part of her backstory and history and responsibility."

... For example, this season will feature Bridget Reagan (Jane the Virgin) as Poison Ivy, a villain whose plant-controlling powers push her very close to metahuman territory.

"That story is heightened and crazy and pure spectacle as it gets at certain points, [but] it's a love story," Dries teases. "She is the big bad, but there are a couple big bads who are being groomed along the way." ...

Love story? Oh no, is Poison Ivy the third corner of the love triangle with Sophie? (I'm assuming Renee in one corner.)

While nothing has been confirmed yet, many fans suspect that Robin Givens, who is joining the show as a powerful CEO named Jada Jet, is playing Ryan's mother. But only time will tell.

LOL -- Robin is already doing interviews saying she's Batwoman's mom!

7 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

So.....Ryan is becoming the new CEO of Wayne Enterprises? Really? Seriously? Seems rather lazy. They couldnt bring in anyone connected to Bruce or who was high up before it shut down?

It doesn't make sense. And they don't even have to bring in anyone; Luke should be acting CEO. Ryan is great, but I don't see how she can be the head of Bruce(/Kate)'s company.

• Love 2

Killer Croc photos and episode teases: https://ew.com/tv/batwoman-season-3-killer-croc-first-look/

BWN302a_0201r.jpg

Killer Croc 2.0's creation is the direct result of the Bat-team losing track of Batman's villain trophies at the end of season 2 because original Killer Croc Waylon Jones' infectious tooth was among the cache of dangerous items unleashed on Gotham. An unassuming teenager named Stephen finds the tooth and transforms into the new Croc, "whose hunger and ferocity may even exceed that of his predecessor," according to the official character description. "As the bodies pile up, Batwoman will be forced to decide if there's enough of Steven left in this new Croc to reason with, or if he's already too far gone."

"It was a lot of fun," says Leslie of shooting the Killer Croc episode. "They hired an actor who was huge in real life. He's like a really big guy, so we didn't have to fake anything with special effects. So, the stunts were fun and he was creepy. Special effects did such a good job with his makeup and mask. So, he was really scary-looking. It felt like one of those nostalgic episodes that is like Batman meets Stranger Things."

"In this Killer Croc episode, in particular, it's really this story about a dad who doesn't want to give up on his son," says Dries. "And in Ryan's story, she's going through learning that her birth mom gave up on her in the blink of an eye and it's kind of [about] her reconciling that with where she stands as Gotham's savior."

• Love 1

They did a great job with the make-up. It's really become a lost art on network tv.

All these 2.0s will seem ridiculous beyond 2 of them. The trophies subplot already seems like something out of a video game. If Poison Ivy is a 2.0 "Ivys vine creates a new Poison Ivy" i may have to just stop watching lol.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

It doesn't make sense. And they don't even have to bring in anyone; Luke should be acting CEO. Ryan is great, but I don't see how she can be the head of Bruce(/Kate)'s company.

If I've learned anything from the other Arrowverse shows, it's this:  the writers almost certainly either don't know or don't care what a CEO does or how they get their jobs. 

I'm not gonna lie, though, I kind of enjoy the idea of the long-suffering board of Wayne Enterprises getting a note from Kate (presumably) saying that she's not dead, but she's leaving for reasons and she's chosen her replacement, a bartender/volunteer Karate instructor with a GED and a pretty recent felony on her record. 

• LOL 2

3.04 synopsis:

"Antifreeze" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

THE FREEZE OUT - When Ryan (Javicia Leslie) makes Gotham's "30 Under 30" list, Luke (Camrus Johnson) worries about how Marquis's (Nick Creegan) involvement in Ryan's rising popularity as Wayne Enterprises' acting CEO will land with Jada (Robin Givens). Mary (Nicole Kang) returns from a late night out not feeling quite herself, while Alice's (Rachel Skarsten) hallucinations grow stronger. And when Sophie's (Meagan Tandy) sister, Jordan (guest star Keeya King), goes missing, she and the Bat Team quickly realize that Freeze's missing weapon hasn't been fully contained.

Holly Dale directed the episode written by Daniel Thomsen (#304). Original airdate 11/3/2021.

----

They're turning Ryan into... Bruce Wayne??

5 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

I've officially can't. 

I mean - a big part of her characterization last season was her NOT being a part of Gotham's rich and famous elite class, to set her apart from Kate; so I don't know what they're doing now.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Trini said:

I mean - a big part of her characterization last season was her NOT being a part of Gotham's rich and famous elite class, to set her apart from Kate; so I don't know what they're doing now.

I knew once we read about her rich mother that they'd try to transition her into some type of version of coming into money and probably do their version of Cinderella.

3.05 synopsis; directed by David Ramsey:

"A Lesson from Professor Pyg" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

COME AND GET IT - Ryan (Javicia Leslie) asks Sophie (Meagan Tandy) to accompany her to a dinner at Jada's (Robin Givens) to do recon on what her estranged mother knows about Wayne Enterprises, but the evening takes a turn when an uninvited guest drops in on the intimate gathering. As the terrifying evening unfolds, Ryan witnesses another side to Marquis (Nick Creegan) and her mother. Also starring Rachel Skarsten, Nicole Kang, Camrus Johnson and Victoria Cartagena.

David Ramsey directed the episode written by Ebony Gilbert and Caroline Dries (#305). Original airdate 11/10/2021.

The part about the Jets sounds interesting. Not mentioned but there's probably a subplot with Alice/Mary/Luke? At least I hope so.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:16 PM, Trini said:

I don't like how they seem to be saying that the loss of the Bat Trophies is Ryan's fault(/"mess"). It was NOT.

It kind of was. Even if you are inclined to give Ryan a pass for trusting Kate to allow access to the Batcave, losing in a fight against Kate and letting Kate initially escape (which I personally am not, but can see how one would cut her slack), when she caught up to Kate and the Bat-trophies all fell in the river, she should have known about that and spent time recovering them before they became an issue. As far as we saw, she spent little to no time on that before the season premiere. 

9 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

It kind of was. Even if you are inclined to give Ryan a pass for trusting Kate to allow access to the Batcave, losing in a fight against Kate and letting Kate initially escape (which I personally am not, but can see how one would cut her slack), when she caught up to Kate and the Bat-trophies all fell in the river, she should have known about that and spent time recovering them before they became an issue. As far as we saw, she spent little to no time on that before the season premiere. 

No, it wasn't her fault. Literally everyone BUT Ryan gave Circe!Kate access to everything. They barely interacted. Sophie was the one couldn't shoot Circe!Kate when she had the chance. The first scene with Batwoman(Ryan) in the premiere is her and Luke recovering the Poison Ivy vine, so clearly they'd been working on that problem between seasons.

• Love 1

Ryan knew that Kate had stolen the Bat-Trophies and had them with her during the fight on the bridge, yes?

I think it's fair to say that she saw them go into the river.

In any case, she knew, or should have known, that the Bat-Trophies weren't on Kate's cycle after their final fight. 

Had she started her search immediately for the Bat-Trophies, she would have been able to round up a whole bunch of them before they got in the hands of bad guys. Sure, she probably would have missed some stuff like Croc's tooth. But Mad Hatter's hat would have been eminently findable. 

As far as we saw, Ryan hadn't even done an inventory of what was missing. Somehow Montoya came up with one instead.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

The first scene with Batwoman(Ryan) in the premiere is her and Luke recovering the Poison Ivy vine, so clearly they'd been working on that problem between seasons.

It wasn't Ryan's fault the trophies got lost.

Edited by Trini
On 10/15/2021 at 5:30 PM, Trini said:

Mary (Nicole Kang) returns from a late night out not feeling quite herself,

Leave Mary alone! 😭 But at least now we know it's connected to Poison Ivy.

------

3.06 synopsis:

"How Does Your Garden Grow?" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

TANGLED UP IN YOU - An unnerving discovery in a garden shed sends Renee Montoya (Victoria Cartagena) rushing to Ryan (Javicia Leslie) to ensure the city is on high alert. Her terrifying theory - a Bat Trophy has entangled a new host, and her thorny ways are weaving their way through Gotham. Alice (Rachel Skarsten) is suspiciously eager to help the Bat Team (Nicole Kang, Camrus Johnson), and Sophie (Meagan Tandy) seeks vengeance for an incident involving her sister.

Robert Duncan directed the episode written by Jerry Shandy and Natalie Abrams (#306). Original airdate 11/17/2021.

Mary is Ivy's 'host'?? 😢

3.07 synopsis:

"Pick Your Poison" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

DOUBLE TROUBLE - As Ryan's (Javicia Leslie) family dynamic grows more complicated, she also finds herself in the middle of a Bat Team stand-off between Luke (Camrus Johnson) and Mary (Nicole Kang). Meanwhile, Alice (Rachel Skarsten) finds a new sidekick to do her bidding. Also starring Nick Creegan and Robin Givens.

Holly Dale directed the episode written by Kelly Ota and Emily Alonso (#307). Original airdate 11/24/21.

-------

Crap -- things were so promising for HamilFox, but now Luke and Mary fighting again?? I guess this isn't their season. I hope it's not still about Luke and the suit.

A sidekick for Alice? Um, shut that down, Sophie.

Kelly Ota is new to the writers room.

Five episodes in, and I'm not seeing any indication of a love triangle with Sophie (as was teased before), or any triangles at all. Not that I think there necessarily needs to be any triangles, but they could have not mentioned that if it wasn't happening soon.

I thought Marquis might get paired with Mary, but no way is that happening with the latest reveals about him. Plus looks like Mary will be busy enough with Poison Ivy and Alice's mental health.

Some teases from this article: https://ew.com/tv/batwoman-nicole-kang-poison-ivy-first-look/

That being said, it won't be long until we meet the original Poison Ivy, a.k.a. Pamela Isley, who has been buried in Gotham for years. Per the character description for Poison Mary, "her powers bloomed to give life to another... Gotham's long lost and most infamous botanist."

"There will be a tug of war for sure, but mostly it'll be like this mother-sporeling relationship," said Kang, teasing Mary's dynamic with Pamela. "The vengeance of the OG Poison Ivy is coming."

Sooner than you think, in fact, because Regan's Ivy debuts in episode 8, Batwoman's first one of the new year.

"Alice needs Mary to be at her best for Alice to pull off leaving and going toe to toe with Batwoman, toe to toe with Renee. Knowing what Mary is becoming, I think Alice has a lot handed to her to think that even she can wield this new weapon," said Kang. "Who's in charge? Alice has always been stronger, smarter, and quicker. She's always five steps ahead of the Bat Team. She knew Mary was Poison Ivy. But now she's definitely going to be tested, as well as their relationship, because Mary as Poison Ivy is going to use it against Alice, as well. So they're speeding away, but in the same sense, they're on a rollercoaster."

Photos for 3.07 are finally out, and it looks like Poison Mary's villain costume is slightly different than the promo poster version. The fabric for the shorts is different; and the corset isn't sheer (probably helps for stunts).  And her boots are ... glow in the dark?

Also it seems like Marquis escapes(?) whatever facility Jada had him in; so of course he'll be pissed and go full psycho whenever he returns.

I wonder who - Jada or Marquis - finds out Ryan is Batwoman first? I feel like it should be Jada.

ETA:

https://batwoman.tv/pick-your-poison-gallery

Edited by Trini

3.08 promo:

Besides Marquis' masquerade party, my main takeaway is yet another episode of 'Everyone infiltrates the Batcave'. Why would Renee need to be there?

And this is the episode we're supposed to meet Pamela/Poison Ivy -- probably at the very end.

Hopefully, Ryan tells Renee off when the shows comes back. I don't wanna see Renee try to scold Ryan for Alice being gone. Like, Ryan warned you that Alice couldn't be trusted. I never got why Renee thought Alice would be a big help in finding all the trophies. She solved literally only one case and helped with Mad hatter. The others literally does not need her. Then again, this is a writing problem. 

Lol I just can't. 

On 11/27/2021 at 8:04 AM, BeautifulFlower said:

Hopefully, Ryan tells Renee off when the shows comes back. I don't wanna see Renee try to scold Ryan for Alice being gone. Like, Ryan warned you that Alice couldn't be trusted. I never got why Renee thought Alice would be a big help in finding all the trophies. She solved literally only one case and helped with Mad hatter. The others literally does not need her. Then again, this is a writing problem. 

You know....Alice was supposed to be a high profile criminal for so long that she operated with all of the OG villains and knew all of their secrets so who better to track down their souvenirs that have the power to transform normal people into rip offs of them all?

Statements from Javicia seem to confirm that this is getting a Season 4. This makes me think that they could end Season 3 on a big cliffhanger, since they know they'll be able to continue.

Edited by Trini

3.08 synopsis:

"Trust Destiny" -

EXTREME MEASURES - Mary (Nicole Kang) and Alice (Rachel Skarsten) continue their sisterly bonding, Ryan (Javicia Leslie), Luke (Camrus Johnson) and Sophie (Meagan Tandy) are desperate and willing to do almost anything to stop them...even entertaining a dangerous proposition by Renee Montoya (Victoria Cartagena) that finally rid Gotham of Pamela Isley (Bridget Regan). As the team hunts for the source of Poison Mary's power - and potential demise - Renee is forced to revisit her heartbreaking past.

Meanwhile, Marquis (Nick Creegan) grows more unhinged and throws a spectacularly sinister soiree at Wayne Tower...and everyone is invited.

Marshall Virtue directed the episode written by Ebony Gilbert and Daphne Miles (#308). Original airdate 1/12/2022.

3.09 synopsis; with a guest appearance of Diggle(?):

"Meet Your Maker" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

NATURAL DISASTERS - Ryan (Javicia Leslie), Sophie (Meagan Tandy) and Luke (Camrus Johnson) attempt to track down the OG Poison Ivy when all signs point to Pamela Isley's (guest star Bridget Regan) reappearance in Gotham. At the same time, Mary (Nicole Kang) feels drawn by a powerful force and Alice (Rachel Skarsten) suddenly feels very protective of her stepsister.

Meanwhile, Jada (Robin Givens) hasn't given up on rehabilitating Marquis (Nick Creegan) and seeks the help of an old friend. Guest starring David Ramsey.

Michael Blundell directed the episode written by Caroline Dries and Maya Houston (#309). Original airdate 1/19/2022.

3 hours ago, Trini said:

3.09 synopsis; with a guest appearance of Diggle(?):

Ehhhh not that excited by it if its what I think. Is Diggle the go to black guy to give pep talks to? If he's part of the plot and helping his Bat friends, cool. But if they bring him in to be a long friend of Jada and give some speech....no thank you.

It's interesting that the synopsis doesn't say 'Diggle', or what Ramsey's role or plot will be. I hope he's helping the Bat Team, because Diggle and Jada being "old friends" probably won't make sense. But with the way they write these things, "old friend" doesn't have to mean an actual close relationship.

Getting a little more vague as the close of the season nears; 3.10 synopsis:

"Toxic" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-PG, LV) (HDTV)

THE TIES THAT BIND - Batwoman's (Javicia Leslie) hands are full as she juggles Jada's (Robin Givens) demands, Mary's (Nicole Kang) ever-increasing power and a new romantic entanglement. Loyalties are tested and motives come into question as Batwoman races against the clock to once again save the city and those closest to her. Also starring Rachel Skarsten, Meagan Tandy, Camrus Johnson, Nick Creegan and Victoria Cartagena and guest starring Bridget Regan.

Glen Winter directed the episode written by Caroline Dries and Jerry Shandy (#310). Original airdate 1/26/2022.

"New romantic entanglement" - for Ryan? I wonder if they just mean Sophie, or are they introducing someone as a short-term obstacle?

I was another forum. I get Alice have fans. What I don't get are some being mad that Ryan isn't being all friendly to Alice. I've seen someone call Ryan a hypocrite for it. Why? Alice is a result of her kidnapping. I get that. However, people need to realize that Alice is making these decisions herself. No one is holding a gun to her head. She is making NO effort to get better. So why would Ryan and the others be friendly with her?

• Love 1
On 1/14/2022 at 3:17 PM, BeautifulFlower said:

I was another forum. I get Alice have fans. What I don't get are some being mad that Ryan isn't being all friendly to Alice. I've seen someone call Ryan a hypocrite for it. Why? Alice is a result of her kidnapping. I get that. However, people need to realize that Alice is making these decisions herself. No one is holding a gun to her head. She is making NO effort to get better. So why would Ryan and the others be friendly with her?

At this point, Alice should be "shoot on sight" for the Bat Team. I'll give a pass for Mary since technically she's family, but no one should be letting her run free, as she is now.

About the bolded: It's actually weird that they started a redemption arc for Alice last season, then pretty much abandoned it in Season 3. Not that I think she can be fully redeemed, but that seemed the direction they were headed in. I get that the writers like her as a villain/antagonist, but how much longer can they have her just out and about, doing whatever, when she's a known killer? I thought making her an anti-hero (or even a full hero) was how they were going to justify keeping her around.

The episode Camrus directed! 3.11 synopsis:

"Broken Toys" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, SV) (HDTV)

DYNAMIC DUOS - Just when it seems things can't get worse... Batwoman's (Javicia Leslie) identity is once again at risk of being exposed, and some of Gotham's most villainous unite.

Sophie (Meagan Tandy) joins Luke (Camrus Johnson) on a mission and Alice (Rachel Skarsten) gets into Mary's (Nicole Kang) head. Also starring Robin Givens and Nick Creegan.

Camrus Johnson directed the episode written by Chad Fiveash, James Stoteraux and Natalie Abrams (#311). Original airdate 2/3/2022.

I'm guessing that Marquis is revived or gets loose in this episode.

"Gotham's most villainous unite" -- Well, it's the second-to-last episode, so that sounds about right.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

At this point, Alice should be "shoot on sight" for the Bat Team. I'll give a pass for Mary since technically she's family, but no one should be letting her run free, as she is now.

About the bolded: It's actually weird that they started a redemption arc for Alice last season, then pretty much abandoned it in Season 3. Not that I think she can be fully redeemed, but that seemed the direction they were headed in. I get that the writers like her as a villain/antagonist, but how much longer can they have her just out and about, doing whatever, when she's a known killer? I thought making her an anti-hero (or even a full hero) was how they were going to justify keeping her around.

I'm gonna be honest. I feel if they wanted to redeem Alice, then Kate would have to be a part of it. However, Kate is gone now. Plus, I feel like they listened to the fans who kept saying they liked Mary and Alice's scenes from last season. I guess this  is the writers way of giving those fans what they want. 

1 hour ago, Trini said:

"Gotham's most villainous unite" -- Well, it's the second-to-last episode, so that sounds about right.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Great.....more Alice manipulating Mary. Seriously, Poison Mary listening to Alice makes no sense.

4 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

Great.....more Alice manipulating Mary. Seriously, Poison Mary listening to Alice makes no sense.

Forgot to comment on that: Yeah, like, Alice is already in her head, so ...?? If anything, Mary should be in Alice's head with her mind control powers.

1 minute ago, Trini said:

Forgot to comment on that: Yeah, like, Alice is already in her head, so ...?? If anything, Mary should be in Alice's head with her mind control powers.

I just don't like how the writers have Mary be so easily manipulated by Alice. She's mad that Ryan and Luke basically use her when they need for something on the bat team, but doesn't see how Alice is using her?

I will say I am interested to see what will happen to Mary after she's cured. It's only a matter of time before Alice has her committing crimes in public.

• Love 1

So the next new episode. "We're All Mad Here" is in 3 weeks:

So unless Alice has a crime buddy, she's goes crazy? That could be something to explore, but I doubt they will.

It will interesting to see Mouse and Ocean back; and there's some type of ... shadow council/cult?

3.11 synopsis:

"We're All Mad Here" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

WHERE IS MY MIND? - Ryan (Javicia Leslie), Sophie (Meagan Tandy) and Jada (Robin Givens) come together to formulate a plan to stop Marquis (Nick Creegan), while Mary (Nicole Kang) seeks to make amends for the harm she did as Poison Ivy. Meanwhile, Alice (Rachel Skarsten) continues to spiral out of control and contend with her mental demons. Also starring Camrus Johnson.

Eric Dean Stanton directed the episode written by Maya Houston and Daphne Miles (#312). Original airdate 2/23/2022.