Type keyword(s) to search

Batwoman Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Me too. People have been pointing out for years that Ivy would make for a great grey character rather than the full on villain she once was so they wouldn't even have to present her as a traditional Big Bad.

If they don't get to play with Ivy my guess is she'll have acolytes around the city who cause mayhem.

I saw a youtube comment. Somebody said since they revealed the thing about Ryan's mother and the vine tease, people think they could be doing The Gardener. I don't know how to feel about that as this villain is new to the comics. She first appeared back in April.

• Useful 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

I saw a youtube comment. Somebody said since they revealed the thing about Ryan's mother and the vine tease, people think they could be doing The Gardener. I don't know how to feel about that as this villain is new to the comics. She first appeared back in April.

She's very, very new, so I don't know how likely that they'll use that particular character.

Either way, I'd rather not have Ryan's mother be a villain. But I could see them doing it anyway, as a contrast to her adoptive mother.

In other Season 3 news; HamilFox slowburn incoming:

"I feel bad continuing to make this promise, but in my mind these two are sort of destined to be together, so that's why I'm not really rushing it — because it feels so obvious to me," she [Dries] recently told EW when asked about Luke and Mary's future in an interview about Sunday's season 2 finale. "They just have so much drama in their lives. They're always putting out fires, so there's not a whole ton of time for their love story to evolve. But this season we're going to try to eke it out a little better."

https://ew.com/tv/batwoman-season-3-luke-mary-romantic-future/

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Posting the Season 3 teases from the EW interviews:

https://ew.com/tv/batwoman-season-2-finale-spoilers-javicia-leslie/

"I think I always had a feeling when we started this season that we never addressed Ryan's biological parents and that would always end up being something that gets addressed in a very tricky Gotham way," Leslie tells EW. "Now that we know that there is a possibility or maybe just it is the truth that Ryan's mother, her biological mother is still alive, I just am so excited for season 3 because this is just a whole [new] world that we'll be able to enter."

<...>

I think that her having a mom, a mother-daughter relationship with someone is very important for Ryan. So, I know that that's probably going to be a huge part of her focus for next season, figuring out if Alice is lying. And if Alice is telling the truth, then finding out where her mother is."

"So freaking epic," she says. "Like literally a lot of your epic Batman villains, we have all of their weapons and they've all been released into the river and people are going to find [them] and you're going to find the effects that these weapons have on these normal Gotham citizens and then becoming like these supervillains, and it's just going to be so much fun. I can't wait! I'm excited because we're about to start shooting season 3 and I can't wait to read the scripts and to see where it goes."

---

I don't think I like the idea that just because someone found the paraphernalia that will make them a villain.

https://ew.com/tv/batwoman-caroline-dries-season-2-finale-spoilers/

Ryan and her mother:

... . Of course, we really wanted to get to know Ryan and use this notion of a biological mother as a point of drama or an obstacle for her moving forward into the next season.

<...>

So we're not fully shifting the paradigm, but I did want to explore just that maternal love and what Ryan is missing in her life, or has never experienced fully. She had it with her adoptive mom, but that was ripped away from her. So if you're a child that's been through the foster system your entire life, I think there's always this question mark hovering over you of, "Where did I come from? Who gave me my looks? Who gave me my interests?" For Ryan, that's something she's going to grapple with - how much does she want to know? - in season 3.

Mary and Alice:

... What will be fun in season 3 is really rejuvenating this relationship between Mary and Alice. She is literally the last person there is for her family. Likewise for Alice, Mary is the last one there is. So they will find that they have this common thing, but they also don't care for each other very much. So it'll make for a very fun dynamic.

Alice:

... One of my desires on the show, because I love Rachel so much, is making sure Alice continues to be on the front burner of the drama. So it's up to us as a writers to constantly entangle her in the drama. But to me, she really does feel like the core villain, the core conflict. Even going into season 3 that will remain the case, and I think we can continue to find new layers to play with Alice.

<...>

I think of her as the redeemable villain, and that's what makes her so interesting. We know she's worth investing in, but she just makes it so dang hard. She's going to have some slide-backs going into season 3. But we know, thanks to her relationship with Ocean and obviously with Kate, that there is something worth fighting for inside of her.

The villain artifacts:

... The tease we're making the audience is, "These are loose out in the wild." So anyone can literally come and pick them up. So it will be a combination of people who come and pick them up and the villains themselves, and derivatives of those villains. So Batwoman definitely has a huge problem next season.

Batwing:

It is like a partnership and Batwoman has her wingman, her backup to fight crime and stop bad guys. What we'll learn early on in season 3 is Luke isn't necessarily trained to be a superhero. The suit is awesome, and if you put on the suit you're probably going to kick some major butt, but there's more to being a superhero than putting on a suit. That's something he's going to have to go through for his own personal journey. He still has a lot of baggage to unpack from season 2.

Other general stuff:

Right now we have a ton of other baddies that we're playing with that are new to the season, so season 3 is definitely going to feel like a fresher start. Will Safiyah creep into the picture? Possibly. But right now we're really refocusing the drama and stakes on Ryan and Batwoman.

Do you hope to have more intimate moments in season 3? Javicia recently told me she's hoping to get a real love interest next year.

Now we're more focused on [that] Ryan is going to have her hands full with all of the revolutions that come out of the finale, but that's definitely something we're excited by and want to keep in the forefront of our conversations in the writers' room, because that's the best part of the show in my opinion - the uniqueness of our lead.

Thinking further. I could see Warner Bros giving them the ok to use Poison Ivy if it's not Pamela Isley. Before Crisis On Infinite Earths (the comic not the CW crossover) Poison Ivy was Lillian Rose so that would be a way to use the character without the most well known version. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Thinking further. I could see Warner Bros giving them the ok to use Poison Ivy if it's not Pamela Isley. Before Crisis On Infinite Earths (the comic not the CW crossover) Poison Ivy was Lillian Rose so that would be a way to use the character without the most well known version. 

This gives me Arrow flashbacks of the Dinahs lol

It'll be interesting to see how badly Dries destroys Renee.

Oh joy. Wilders mother & brother. Yawn. I couldn't care a less about this terrible characters family. I wish they'd just pull the plug on this show. 

1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Apparently they are also casting Ryans mom and brother. Gotta have the long lost sibling. Not that excited since if there is one thing the new Batfam can bond over is not having any parents.

I hope this is true. 

3 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Apparently they are also casting Ryans mom and brother. Gotta have the long lost sibling. Not that excited since if there is one thing the new Batfam can bond over is not having any parents.

They can still bond over not having any parents. Just because she have birth to Ryan, doesn't make her a parent.

13 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

They can still bond over not having any parents. Just because she have birth to Ryan, doesn't make her a parent.

Of course but we'll go through that parental drama which I just do not want. 

I was hoping Ryan's mother would also be working class, but okay. I wonder if her father will be a mystery too?

Givens, a new series regular on the DC drama, will play Jada Jet. A powerful CEO for Jet Industries, Jada isn’t bossy: she’s the boss. Passionate and hard working, a woman who has worked her way through life’s ups and downs to climb her way to the top — all while being extremely protective over her impetuous son. A woman with a deep past that forced her to give up her first-born child, Jada is a woman with a good heart, but will do whatever it takes to protect her family.

Since the character descriptions are most likely true, I have a prediction for season 3. Based on Renee's character description, I definitely can see Sophie's storyline involving her. Maybe Sophie gets hired in the same division as Renee. They investigate something together. Also, since Kate is not here, I can see them pairing Sophie and Renee together.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, BeautifulFlower said:

Also, since Kate is not here, I can see them pairing Sophie and Renee together.

I think so too; I think it's more likely than a Ryan/Renee pairing.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, BeautifulFlower said:

Since the character descriptions are most likely true, I have a prediction for season 3. Based on Renee's character description, I definitely can see Sophie's storyline involving her. Maybe Sophie gets hired in the same division as Renee. They investigate something together. Also, since Kate is not here, I can see them pairing Sophie and Renee together.

I hope so. I love the tentative Big/Little Sis thing they've got going with Sophie and Ryan and I don't want to lose that.

• Love 2

I commented already in the media topic, but it's really interesting that she's now one of the few actors to play the same DC character twice, or in another medium/show. (I feel like the Crisis crossover is a particular exception that shouldn't really count.)

I wonder if she was already on their radar because maybe they were planning to have Gotham characters show up in Crisis cameos?

Anyway, there's a pretty good chance that Renee will be the Question at some point this season, right?

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Trini said:

I commented already in the media topic, but it's really interesting that she's now one of the few actors to play the same DC character twice, or in another medium/show. (I feel like the Crisis crossover is a particular exception that shouldn't really count.)

I wonder if she was already on their radar because maybe they were planning to have Gotham characters show up in Crisis cameos?

Anyway, there's a pretty good chance that Renee will be the Question at some point this season, right?

I think its the case of them just thinking the actress was a perfect fit for the character and they werent interested in doing many changes. 

She'll likely, like 99% become The Question. Id be surprised if the writers were able to withhold themselves from doing that.

• Love 1
(edited)

I mean, Luke is already Batwing!

18 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I think its the case of them just thinking the actress was a perfect fit for the character and they werent interested in doing many changes.

I'm sure; but it's too much of a coincidence if she just happened to land the same role twice. I think they may have called her first. It wouldn't be DC without some legacy casting.

Edited by Trini
2 minutes ago, Trini said:

In other Season 3 news:

I dont mind it. Now that she is jobless, I hope they bring some more life to the character and give her something to do. I'm surprised (it could still happen) they arent making her The Question. 

13 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I dont mind it. Now that she is jobless, I hope they bring some more life to the character and give her something to do. I'm surprised (it could still happen) they arent making her The Question. 

I've got nothing to back this up, but I feel like Sophie and Renee are going to have an arc together, or their stories will be connected.

Ryan will be busy with 'regular' Batwoman stuff, and her mother. Luke has Batwing, and maybe they'll do more with the Mary/Luke slowburn.

Just now, Trini said:

I've got nothing to back this up, but I feel like Sophie and Renee are going to have an arc together, or their stories will be connected.

Ryan will be busy with 'regular' Batwoman stuff, and her mother. Luke has Batwing, and maybe they'll do more with the Mary/Luke slowburn.

She does need something to do so I could see her join the Mayors supernatural weird team or whatever they are starting up with Montoya. 

https://deadline.com/2021/07/batwoman-nick-creegan-season-3-series-regular-marquis-jet-1234800087/

Another new character is heading to Gotham for the third season of Batwoman. Nick Creegan has been cast as a new series regular opposite Javicia Leslie in the CW drama series.

Creegan will play Marquis Jet. A sexy playboy who grew up in a lavish lifestyle, Marquis is too charming for his own good and wields his power with a ne’er do well attitude. He views life as one big joke and that sense of recklessness has a tendency to clash horribly with his no-nonsense mother Jada Jet.

When he meets Ryan (Leslie), he sees in her a like-minded young go-getter who like him is just waiting for the right opportunity to make his mark on Gotham.

Interesting. Seems like Ryan will interact with him first, and she'll meet Jada through him?

Also, will he be a love interest for Mary? Because I feel like they will introduce someone for her before they put her and Luke together.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Trini said:

https://deadline.com/2021/07/batwoman-nick-creegan-season-3-series-regular-marquis-jet-1234800087/

Interesting. Seems like Ryan will interact with him first, and she'll meet Jada through him?

Also, will he be a love interest for Mary? Because I feel like they will introduce someone for her before they put her and Luke together.

Did they change his character description? If so, I like it. His original one made him seem like the male Alice. If he's Ryan's brother, I don't want him to be evil.

6 hours ago, Trini said:

My guess is temporary love interest for Mary before Luke OR that they're keeping their options open for right now. Luke did spark with Stephanie so they may decide they like the chemistry with Mary/New Guy and Luke/Stephanie more and have them remain friends.

Speaking of any word on seeing Stephanie again?

I wonder if the Desert Rose might come back into play with Poison Ivy in the mix?

---

Her description, from Deadline:

The CW’s Batwoman has tapped Bridget Regan to play Pamela Isley, a.k.a. Poison Ivy, for the drama’s upcoming junior season opposite star Javicia Leslie.

Regan will recur as the former botany student of Gotham University, who was a passionate, brilliant scientist with a mind for changing the world for the better. Pamela’s plans shifted when she was experimented on by a colleague, injected with various plant toxins which turned her into the infamous Batman villain: Poison Ivy. With a formidable power coursing through her veins, Pamela used her powers to do what she thought was right … even if Batman and those closest to her disagreed with her dangerous methods. Now effectively wiped off the board for years, Batwoman and the Bat Team must prepare themselves for Poison Ivy to return with a vengeance.

If she's only recurring, she's probably not THE central villain; but either way I expect she'll have about as much screentime as Safiyah did last season.

15 hours ago, Trini said:

If she's only recurring, she's probably not THE central villain; but either way I expect she'll have about as much screentime as Safiyah did last season.

Every villain aside from Alice was recurring last season. 

I think this is the first that Alice has been in the BatCave? Seriously - Bruce is going to be so pissed at all these trespassers! 😂

So does Alice break herself out of Arkham (most likely), or does the BatTeam, since they apparently need her 'expertise'?

Edited by Trini

From TVLine: https://tvline.com/lists/fall-season-premieres-2021-tv-spoilers-preview/

[I added additional line breaks]

Season 3 finds Ryan using the Batwoman moniker to help underserved communities, a move that was teased in the Season 2 finale. However, she’ll also be forced to deal with the fallout from Alice’s bombshell reveal that Ryan’s birth mother is still alive. Whether that’s true, and not another of Alice’s mind games, remains to be seen.

On the Bat Team front, the gang will focus their efforts on trying to recover the Bat Trophies that were stolen at the end of last season.

The upcoming episodes will also introduce a bevy of new characters, including business mogul Jada Jett (Robin Givens), who may or may not be Ryan’s birth mother, and her son Marquis (Nick Creegan), who is potentially Ryan’s brother.

Meanwhile, Luke will grapple with his superhero role as Batwing, while Mary evaluates her role on the Bat Team after graduating from med school.

The season will also bring in a few familiar characters, like the infamous Batman villain Poison Ivy (Bridget Regan) and Renee Montoya (Victoria Cartagena), a former Gotham police officer who’s now working out of the mayor’s office and is determined to recover those lost Batman trophies.

BONUS SPOILER!: As for that umbrella floating in the river at the end of Season 2, showrunner Caroline Dries confirms that it does belong to famous Batman villain The Penguin, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you will see him in Gotham this season. “That is his umbrella and anyone can come in, get a hold of [it] and take on its properties and use it for evil. That’s sort of the threat of that,” she teases.

RETURN DATE: Wednesday, Oct. 13 at 9/8c (The CW)

So both Montoya and the BatTeam are trying to get the trophies -- there's some conflict.

LOL at them just graduating Mary 'cause we never saw her go to school anyway!

Disappointed at no mention of  Sophie.

Also a promo photo:

batwoman-season-3.jpg?w=620

More season premiere photos here: https://blackgirlnerds.com/first-look-trailer-and-images-for-season-3-of-cws-batwoman/

Plus what sounds like the synopsis:

Alice is locked up in Arkham and holding on to hope that her father, a recently incarcerated Jacob Kane, will save her…but nothing can keep an evil woman down.  Mary (Nicole Kang) is graduating from medical school and juggling her roles at the clinic and as a part of the Bat Team alongside Luke (Camrus Johnson), who is winging it as a superhero after discovering a suit made for him by his father. However, as Batwing, Luke starts his own journey realizing that it takes more than a suit to be super. Having said goodbye to Kate and the Crows, Sophie (Meagan Tandy) feels liberated to find a new purpose, but while making the most of her newly free lifestyle, things heat up and she finds herself in the middle of an exciting but very unexpected love triangle.

As visits from villains past loom over Gotham and anyone can become a baddie by finding a wayward Bat Trophy, Renee Montoya (Victoria Cartagena) steps in to supervise the recovery of the scattered artifacts, forcing an unwelcome partnership between Gotham’s favorite hero and most notorious ne’er-do-well. And despite best efforts to avoid her past, Ryan is thrust into the world of super mogul Jada Jet (Robin Givens) and her son Marquis (Nick Creegan) when Wayne Enterprises lands on the radar of another one of Gotham’s most powerful families.

And the trailer:

So Alice gets released instead of escaping? I find it hard to believe that the risk/reward ratio is good enough for that. But, Gotham; so ... I guess.

I wonder if this season is when they go fully forward with a redemption arc for Alice? Because I don't think they can (should) have Alice go back to being a full villain after having her work with the Bat-Team *in* the BatCave.

Okay, so the Jets are being brought in through Wayne Enterprises. Interesting; is Luke (or Mary? Kate??) still in charge of that? Bruce is going to be so pissed that his family business is getting taken over along with his Batcave!

(BTW, is Kate still legally dead? And will they address that she's running around with the face of a dead woman?)

Sophie in a love triangle already?! Between who and who? Because the list of suspects is very short, unless there's another casting we don't know about yet.

From the trailer, we've got a Mad Hatter -- I'm going to love to see Alice's reaction to another villain stealing her theme! Also I think Killer Croc (or a relation??) was there too.

Episode titles from SpoilerTV:

Batwoman - Episode 3.01 - Mad As a Hatter
Batwoman - Episode 3.02 - Loose Tooth
Batwoman - Episode 3.03 - Freeze
Batwoman - Episode 3.04 - Antifreeze
Batwoman - Episode 3.05 - A Lesson From Professor Pyg

Looks like every title references a villain; at least this first batch.

Season 3 premiere synopsis:

"Mad As A Hatter" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

SEASON PREMIERE - As Batwoman (Javicia Leslie) continues to keep the streets of Gotham safe, Batwing (Camrus Johnson) joins in on the action, but Luke quickly realizes he hasn't quite mastered his suit.

Meanwhile, as Alice (Rachel Skarsten) sits hopelessly imprisoned in Arkham, Sophie (Meagan Tandy) fully enjoys her freedom. When Ryan pays Alice a visit to ask about the bombshell she dropped - that Ryan's birth mother is still alive - Ryan must decide if she should go down the rabbit hole of her past.

As Mary (Nicole Kang) prepares to finally graduate from medical school, she feels the absence of her family more than ever. But when an Alice admirer stumbles upon one of the missing Bat Trophies, Gotham and the Bat Team get mixed up in the madness, culminating in a shockingly gruesome graduation... and an equally shocking new partnership.

Also starring Robin Givens and Victoria Cartagena.

Holly Dale directed the episode written by Caroline Dries (#301). Original airdate 10/13/2021.

Sounds great! I do wonder how they will address that we're not going to see Jacob again. I don't think he'll be in jail forever.

On 9/24/2021 at 2:20 PM, Trini said:

Sounds great! I do wonder how they will address that we're not going to see Jacob again. I don't think he'll be in jail forever.

Even if Dougray Scott doesn't come back, I don't want Mary to lose ALL her family! Maybe they can pretend they talk/visit offscreen?

• Love 1

3.02 synopsis:

"Loose Teeth"

A BITING CHANCE - When a new incarnation of Gotham's swamp slumming Killer Croc surfaces and starts racking up a body count, the inaugural team-up of Batwoman (Javicia Leslie) and Alice (Rachel Skarsten) is put to the test.  But Alice isn't the only unwanted intrusion into Ryan's life when Jada Jet (Robin Givens) shows up at Wayne Enterprises, insisting on meeting the company's new CEO. Luke (Camrus Johnson) and Mary’s (Nicole Kang) relationship is strained under the weight of a secret Luke is keeping, while Sophie (Meagan Tandy) finds herself becoming part of Ryan’s inner circle.

Jeff Hunt directed the episode written by Chad Fiveash and James Stoteraux (#302). Original airdate 10/20/2021.

----

Unless it's something that is addressed in the premiere - Ryan doesn't have any official ties to Wayne Enterprises, so how would the Jada Jet situation involve her? Again, I'm wondering who's in charge. It should be Luke or, less likely, Mary.

Luke/Mary angst when they're not even together yet?