Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03 Where My Body Stops or Begins

• Start Topic

(edited)

I need a Hollywood in my life.

Jimmy Dale made my skin crawl *shudder* I was hoping Vi would slam the door in his smug face. 

Can't say I felt sorry for Nova after that epic read from Vi. Her hubris caught up to her, and may irrevocably damage their relationship....and reaching out to Vi's abusive ex-husband behind her back? I can't with her

I loved the conversation between Prosper and Ralph Angel; it drove home the definition fatherhood, and I hope Blue realizes this once the truth comes out.

For some reason, I just love seeing Charly battling with the Landrys, it's a reminder that she's a BOSS, and wants all the smoke.

Edited by sereion
  • Love 11

Nova..... what the hell?!!!

How could she contact Jimmy Dale?

I was cheering Hollywood on but I do worry about a lawsuit or assault charges.

Poor Vi still controlled by that slime Jimmy. I was hoping she wouldn't open that door.

Micah. Micah. He should go live with Nova since he believes and worships her so much. 

4 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Jacob popping up to remind me Charley has chemistry with him and not Romero. 

That was a weak kiss Charley gave Romero. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

That was a weak kiss Charley gave Romero

I am waiting for Charley to realize they are really just good friends who hang out and occassionally touch. Romero seems like a good man who wants to do things for the community... she likes that he ticks those boxes... but she doesn't really seem romantically interested in him from what I have seen. I am more passionate picking out produce than Charley seems about Romero. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
(edited)

I am LOOOOOOVING this season of Queen Sugar.

I cannot believe that Jimmy Dale has the nerve to show up at Vi’s house. Hollywood was gonna kill that man if Vi hadn’t stopped him.

Nova can kick rocks. She deserves every bit of shade, read, and side eye she gets this season for that trash book. I hope that smoke being blown up her butt is enough to keep her warm because it will be a cold day in hell before she is forgiven by the family. 

I’m loving RA’s growth this season. I hope this relationship with Joie’s Mom develops. (What is her name anyway?)

Charlie is a bada$$ business woman and Mom. Maybe Micah will finally cut her some slack. Auntie Nova does not always know what is best for you. He’s still a spoiled brat!

8 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

Micah. Micah. He should go live with Nova since he believes and worships her so much. 

12 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Exactly! Spoiled brat!

Edited by Jeopardy15
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

I can't stand how nasty Micah is with Charley and that she lets him talk to her like that. He is just so unnecessarily rude and ungrateful. 

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

I am waiting for Charley to realize they are really just good friends who hang out and occassionally touch. Romero seems like a good man who wants to do things for the community... she likes that he ticks those boxes... but she doesn't really seem romantically interested in him from what I have seen. I am more passionate picking out produce than Charley seems about Romero. 

Wait until Romero finds out it was the Bordelon farm those men died on. 👀👀👀😨

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Wait until Romero finds out it was the Bordelon farm those men died on. 👀👀👀😨

I clocked her reaction to that too, and her immediately volunteering space and money to his cause out of guilt (I'm assuming). That's not gonna end well, and considering he has ties to the workers working on the Bordelon farm now, I don't know how Charley thinks that's gonna stay quiet for very long...

Everything Nova had done in first two episodes was bad enough, but finding out she went to see Jimmy Dale to get his "side of the story" is just unforgivable to me. Hearing her talking about doing it to see if there's a possibility for redemption for a man like him, as if she herself would have any say on his possible redemption, made me sick. So if she had found a different man than she did, what? She would have written his side of the story? Talked about his supposed redemption in her book, all without talking to Vi about it before hand? Just awful.

• Love 14
(edited)

It made me sick to see Nova feeding into her own press at the beginning of the episode, knowing what she is putting her family through. She is a heartless egomaniac.

I could never imagine anybody selling out their family for fame and profit without their permission and then being sad or disappointed that they had the nerve to get angry about it. I don't want to see any more of Nova's fake tears. If her family meant anything to her at all, she wouldn't have done it.

I love Hollywood.......as angry as he was, he didn't say anything to Nova himself but let Vi handle it. All he cared about was protecting his wife. He knows when to get involved and when to step back.  Where can I find a man like him?

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 11

Hollywood is GARBAGE.

And I'm fine with granting Nova the same Get Out Of Jail Free card the writers constantly give Charley and Ralph Angel.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, sereion said:

Can't say I felt sorry for Nova after epic read from Vi.

Nope. That's what the fuck she gets. 

5 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

It made me sick to see Nova feeding into her own press at the beginning of the episode, knowing what she is putting her family through. She is a heartless egomaniac.

That was rich. Her family hates her.

Micah really does talk to his mother any type of way and I can't stand it.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Dee said:

Hollywood is GARBAGE.

And I'm fine with granting Nova the same Get Out Of Jail Free card the writers constantly give Charley and Ralph Angel.

I admit I wasn't a fan of Hollywood because of season one but he has shown growth. How is he garbage?

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Dee said:

Hollywood is GARBAGE.

I'm not sure how you think he's garbage; he's far from perfect,  but he's been nothing but loving and supportive towards Vi. In fact, his willingness to protect her from Jimmy Dale solidifies his love for her. 

Now Jimmy Dale is trash of the worst kind; he'll linger leaving a putrid odor behind.

Edited by sereion
  • Love 12

It makes no sense that Nova would go dig up Jimmy Dale. None. She knows better than that, and I find it unbelievable that someone who's so focused on victimization would be concerned about giving an abuser a forum for redemption.

This storyline was a stretch of the worst kind.

I'm not surprised that Micah's being rude to Charley. Teenagers can be assholes, and he didn't grow up with the healthy parental fear that many of us did.

• Love 6

How much money is Nova likely to make for the book? Maybe Charley could've just offered to write her a fat check with a lot of zeros. But once the NYT review came out that became  pointless. Nova probably will start having dreams of movies and TV miniseries based on her book.

Interesting that Hollywood didn't know up front what Jimmy Dale looked like. I'd think he would've seen a photo at some point.

Nova, the problem with you cleaning out the metaphorical junk drawer is that it wasn't just your stuff in that drawer. Sounds like it was mostly your family's stuff. You took it and hocked it without their prior knowledge or permission.

"Showtime at the Apollo skinnin' and grinnin'." Great description.

So Jimmy Dale did want to catch those hands. I'll be surprised if he doesn't come back with some dumb lawsuit if he finds out Hollywood has money.

Damn, Nova.

I am waiting for Charley to realize they are really just good friends who hang out and occassionally touch.

Maybe Romero is the one who needs to realize it. He does sort of seem to know he's more into her than she is to him but he seems to be holding out hope. It's a losing cause.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I am waiting for Charley to realize they are really just good friends who hang out and occassionally touch.

Maybe Romero is the one who needs to realize it. He does sort of seem to know he's more into her than she is to him but he seems to be holding out hope. It's a losing cause.

For sure. I just think he'll keep letting hope somewhat blind him from cutting the cord first, although the farmhand deaths may also speed up the death of this slow crash to nowhere between them. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

So Jimmy Dale did want to catch those hands. I'll be surprised if he doesn't come back with some dumb lawsuit if he finds out Hollywood has money.

Now that you say that, I'm guessing that he probably *does* know that Vi and Hollywood have money, and he came to start stuff so he could sue.

• Love 6

Everything Nova had done in first two episodes was bad enough, but finding out she went to see Jimmy Dale to get his "side of the story" is just unforgivable to me. Hearing her talking about doing it to see if there's a possibility for redemption for a man like him, as if she herself would have any say on his possible redemption, made me sick. So if she had found a different man than she did, what? She would have written his side of the story? Talked about his supposed redemption in her book, all without talking to Vi about it before hand? Just awful.

Yesss. I literally gasped when she said that she contacted him. I could understand if Nova were 5 or 6 and only knew her Uncle Jimmy to be a kind man who was always sweet to her. But she was older, KNEW the hell he put her aunt through and decided that SHE was going to explore the possibility of redemption? Nah, Nova earned that read Vi gave her. 

Boss Charley is my favorite. Micah needs to realize that he struck gold in the mom department and act accordingly. 

Sigh, I like Romero, but I do agree that Charley has more chemistry with Jacob. I like that Romero accepts Charley for who she is, though we all know it's going to crash when he finds out that those workers died on her farm. 

• Love 10
(edited)
7 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think the only way they can redeem Nova is if she dies or is murdered at the end of the season.

I'm expecting the cliche and contrived storyline of Nova being seriously injured in some way, so everyone feels sorry for her or realizes that life is short and family is family and whatever other BS, because I'm really not sure how they could ever come back from this organically without taking years.

Edited by colorbars
  • Love 5

I haven't watched the show since early season 2, so I recently caught up thanks to Hulu.  I have to agree with others about the chemistry between Charley and Jacob.  I don't think the show will go there though because the Landry/Boudreaux family are THE villains.  It is interesting how Dawn Lyen-Gardner plays Charley in reaction to both characters. Charley seems attracted to Jacob in spite of herself, and she doesn't seem to feel Romero romantically despite him being a good match on paper.  I feel like the showrunner/writers didn't need to bring Jacob back, but know the actors are electric when opposite each other.  

I really wish the Micah character was true to the book, and was Charley's daughter rather than son.  I fast-forward any Micah scene sans Charley.  I never did get my wish for him to go permanently live with Davis...off-screen.

As for Nova, I see nothing has changed.  The show didn't seem to know what to do with her from the beginning, and they still don't.  The confrontation scenes have been well-acted, thanks to the actresses.  I, too, was done with Nova over the 10k/Too Sweet mess, but this whole book debacle feels plot-driven rather than character-driven. Even more than it's been in the past.             

All that mouth, venom, and judgment Vi has for everyone else that don't meet her standards...I can't manage any sympathy for her about Jimmy Dale showing up.  I'm also meh about Hollywood beating down an out-of-shape old man.  I'm sure I was meant to cheer, but whatever.  Vi could have just shut the door and avoided the whole scene. *shrugs* 

• Love 6
(edited)
12 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think the only way they can redeem Nova is if she dies or is murdered at the end of the season.

At this point, this plot can only end with them basically doing that weird murder mystery plot from the last season of The L Word. There would be just too many suspects to figure out who kills Nova!

But for real, Nova can take so many steps off the shortest cliff, and take her crocodile tears with her. She is all giddy with happiness when she is getting press and accolades, and all "Oh I didnt mean to hurt you I am SOOOOO sorry!" when her family rightly calls her out on her selfishness. Note how in that interview with that family when they asked how she got over her issues with Charlie, she just rambled nonsensically about drawers instead of admitting that her sister thinks she sucks JUST BECAUSE she ranted chapter after chapter about how awful her evil biracial bitch of a sister is.

If Micah loves Nova so much and thinks his mom is so awful, he should just so live with her and they can avoid the rest of their family and soak in their own self importance. At least Micah is still a teenager dealing with some seriously traumatic stuff, whats Novas excuse? 

Oh boy, that whole thing with those migrant workers is going to blow up in Charlies face big time. At least we got to see her being a boss going against whatever evil scheme the Landrys have going on this time. 

I just cant believe Nova going to see Vis abusive ex for her book, I just cant. I dont condone violence, but Hollywood DID tell him to leave them alone and Jimmy Dale was clearly starting shit, so I cant be too mad that he punched him out. Hollywood read him a serious act at the diner, it was pretty awesome. But not as jaw dropping in its angry southern lady as that very polite and eloquent "fuck off" that Vi gave Nova. "I dont want you to leave flowers at my grave. I dont want you to disturb my peace again. I mean...damn. But also very well deserved. I mean, it seems inevitable that if this book really is some super smash hit, people will directly ask Nova what her family thinks of it, or will even ask then directly, and then what happens?

Loved the whole scene with Prosper and RA about being a father no matter what biology says, it was just what RA needed to hear. Really, RA had lots of good scenes with his new lady and with Darla, he has grown a lot this season. Hope the stupid book does not screw things up too much.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

So Micah has no issues with the book? He instead attacks his mom over it, but doesn't care he outed Blue's paternity or all the other things Nova wrote against her family? Bringing that abuser back to Vi's doorstep.

Micah & Nova are both the worst.

I hope Vi sticks to her guns on never letting Nova in again.

• Love 4

The show keeps making the point that none of the Bordelons have read the entire book.  They just stop when they get to the parts about them.  With Nova asking that question last week, too, it seems like writers are setting up something where the rest of the book somehow redeems all the family pain she wrote about.  I just can't imagine how that would be possible, though.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, izabella said:

The show keeps making the point that none of the Bordelons have read the entire book.  They just stop when they get to the parts about them.  With Nova asking that question last week, too, it seems like writers are setting up something where the rest of the book somehow redeems all the family pain she wrote about.  I just can't imagine how that would be possible, though.

IIRC Charley read the whole book cause she said that it was 300 pages of Nova hating on her only sister. Hollywood seemed to have read it all too from his comments, not just Vi's section. RA is the only one I recall who mentioned he only read some of it. 

Ultimately the issue for me is that Nova put her family members' [painful] secrets out there without asking them first & when they have come to her hurt and angry about her editorializing their lives, has basically dismissed her actions directly affecting them negatively and publicly by trying to sell that it will help others.  

I hope Nova mentioned that 10k she stole in the part about Too Sweet. And we still don't know if she brought up Calvin. 

• Love 2

Unless its frankly said she didn't ima assume nova put her business out in front street too... And most of the secrets she put out there are things other black families are struggling with one way or another.. Things we may not even be discussing amongst ourselves.. And desperately need to... I don't see how a work of fiction would played any better... Everyone would known who she was talking about... That said dropping it on them so soon to the date was way past problematic... As for nova soaking up the praise and whatnot... This is a big deal for her.. And if her family is gonna be ( rightfully)  angry about some of this stuff being out there and icing her out... She may as well bask in what little happiness she can get 

(edited)

I agree with the poster who said Ralph Angel has really grown.. And I kinda skimmed Aunt Vi going off on nova.. Mainly cuz I never could stand aunt vi... And I may have said it on another episode thread but I'll say it again.. Nova didn't lie... So I can't be that upset with her... Only complaint is not giving a heads up... The family needed time to prepare.. Especially Darla RA and Blue.. But Aunt Vi  and especially Charley ( who again nothing I've heard in Nova's book was a lie or wrong or even needlessly hurtful)  I ain't here for their tears

Edited by UNOSEZ
  • Love 1

I had to Lol at charley's whole conversation with the Boudreaux guy.. Did she not just go off on her sister for thinking her light skin and wealth privilege  allowed her to get away with things and she was clutching her pearls.. But turns around and says the same things to Jacob... Am I missing something

• Love 1
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

I had to Lol at charley's whole conversation with the Boudreaux guy.. Did she not just go off on her sister for thinking her light skin and wealth privilege  allowed her to get away with things and she was clutching her pearls.. But turns around and says the same things to Jacob... Am I missing something

Nobody is ever allowed to critique St. Charley or Ralph Angel.

They always get away with everything.

12 minutes ago, Dee said:

Darla.. Ex-junkie Darla ( who I've always and still root for when she's up against RA and Aunt VI)  dead-ass asked if Nova didn't think about consequences for other ppl with no hint of hypocrisy... I figure maybe some ppl will eventually  come up to charley/ RA/ Aunt Vi and tell them how their stories helped them and then maybe they'll start to understand what nova was trying to do

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

No, Charley went off on Nova for telling her business without running it by her first and asking Nova why she hates her so much from how she described Charley in the book. I know there are colorism issues towards Charley but that wasn't her focus in that moment. Nova always has a reason where she thinks running over or lying to her family is ok cause it helps others, like stealing that 10k. I don't dislike Nova and I won't deflect by using others to excuse her actions but her behavior was selfish plus self-serving. If she really cared about helping others and using her family to do it, why not go to them first? Interview them like the fcking courtesy she gave Jimmy Dale that she couldn't bother to give the people she says she loves. Her response to the people she says she loves is when they come to her betrayed & angry that she divulged their secrets without consent is that her intentions weren't to hurt them but to help others... yet she doesn't seem to understand or care that she did actually hurt them not to mention hurt a child who will now have to find out his daddy isn't his bio dad and his mother is a recovering junkie when he is too young to understand the nuances of the situations. That was not Nova's place to do that regardless of her blanket claim of wanting to help others and at what cost to her family? 

Nova knows she was wrong because if she was so sure she was right, she would have been honest about what was in the book and been upfront with her family long before she sent the final draft to her editor. Instead, she went a chickenshit route. 

I am curious how this will be resolved. I just hope it won't be via cheap plot points or quick. That is a deep grave of betrayal and anger that shouldn't be an easy resolve.

Anywho, RA is whisper-talking again. I am hit or miss with him but I have seen some growth this season. Who knows how long that will last, though.

Aunt Vi gets on my nerves most of the time, and especially her nasty attitude regarding Darla, but I can't say in her position I would be too happy or forgiving of my niece not only spilling my abuse history without my consent but then going to interview my abuser to get both sides of the story. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, izabella said:

The show keeps making the point that none of the Bordelons have read the entire book. 

Not for all of them, just for RA's case they're making that point. Because he hasn't gotten to the part about Darla yet.   

There's nothing in the book by the end that makes what Nova wrote redeemable.  

On 6/26/2019 at 9:26 PM, MelissaMinion said:

I just want to say...I love Hollywood. That’s all.

Gotta say that was a Believable beat-down.  It really looked like Jimmy had a busted up eye.  Dont think I've seen anyone get up from the mud STILL talking shit.  

I wonder if DAG saw big ass Omar Dorsey come at him and started yelling "Cut, Cut, I said CUT GOT DAMMIT" during taping

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Dee said:

Who doesn’t critique Charley or Ralph Angel though ???? I’ve seen both get called out several times, hell Charley has been getting called out consistently for something every season.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Kirkydee said:

Gotta say that was a Believable beat-down.  It really looked like Jimmy had a busted up eye.  Dont think I've seen anyone get up from the mud STILL talking shit.  

I wonder if DAG saw big ass Omar Dorsey come at him and started yelling "Cut, Cut, I said CUT GOT DAMMIT" during taping

It must be said: DAG is/was amazing casting

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/29/2019 at 3:58 PM, Chick2Chic said:

her behavior was selfish plus self-serving. If she really cared about helping others and using her family to do it, why not go to them first? Interview them like the fcking courtesy she gave Jimmy Dale that she couldn't bother to give the people she says she loves.

Aunt Vi gets on my nerves most of the time, and especially her nasty attitude regarding Darla, but I can't say in her position I would be too happy or forgiving of my niece not only spilling my abuse history without my consent but then going to interview my abuser to get both sides of the story. 

This is what gets me about Nova’s decision. She claimed she wanted to see if there could be redemption, so she reaches out to Jimmy Dale. But....why wouldn’t she also interview Vi, to see if there was also forgiveness? That would have made a more compelling story, if she was trying to write a memoir showing all sides. In the end, she only wrote HER side. And if she wasn’t seeing the events clearly, or they weren’t as cut and dried as she thought, the book is then worthless.

Edited by MelissaMinion
Spelling
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, MelissaMinion said:

This is what gets me about Nova’s decision. She claimed she wanted to see if there could be redemption, so she reaches out to Jimmy Dale. But....why wouldn’t she also interview Vi, to see if there was also forgiveness?  

So true! With everyone in the book, the only person she got a side from was Jimmy? She totally didn't go to Darla for her side on her substance abuse, she didn't go to RA or Charley for sides on anything either. So the only person she cared to get interview from was that abuser? 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

She totally didn't go to Darla for her side on her substance abuse

Exactly. Within that group, if there is a poster child for redemption, it’s Darla.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

So true! With everyone in the book, the only person she got a side from was Jimmy? She totally didn't go to Darla for her side on her substance abuse, she didn't go to RA or Charley for sides on anything either. So the only person she cared to get interview from was that abuser? 

Nova seems to think her perspective on everyone else's issues is the one that counts.  She wrote what she observed, and what she thinks their experiences mean, and the significance of those experiences, issues and behaviors according to Nova.  Nova thinks she knows all about their sides because she was a witness.  That is almost never true, though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, A.Ham said:

Within that group, if there is a poster child for redemption, it’s Darla.

Not according to Violet, Hollywood and Charley.

• Love 1
On 6/30/2019 at 5:46 PM, MelissaMinion said:

This is what gets me about Nova’s decision. She claimed she wanted to see if there could be redemption, so she reaches out to Jimmy Dale. But....why wouldn’t she also interview Vi, to see if there was also forgiveness? That would have made a more compelling story, if she was trying to write a memoir showing all sides. In the end, she only wrote HER side. And if she wasn’t seeing the events clearly, or they weren’t as cut and dried as she thought, the book is then worthless.

This is one of many reasons why this plot makes no sense to me.  Maybe we'll find out she interviewed some other folks? I mean, if part of her process was getting the other side of the story, why not go for the jugular and interview the Landrys or Jacob? Why not ask Darla her perspective on Blue's paternity? And how the hell did she know where to find Jimmy Dale anyway? Maybe Jimmy's on FaceBook...

On 6/29/2019 at 4:58 PM, Chick2Chic said:

Anywho, RA is whisper-talking again. I am hit or miss with him but I have seen some growth this season. Who knows how long that will last, though.

Ha! I've never been here for Ralph Angel, and probably never will be.  Jesus himself could open the heavens and declare Ra washed by the blood of the lamb, and I'd still be like, "But he left his toddler son alone on a playground to rob a corner store, so IT'S A NO FROM ME, DAWG." Irrational, but there it is. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 6/29/2019 at 12:39 PM, UNOSEZ said:

And I may have said it on another episode thread but I'll say it again.. Nova didn't lie... So I can't be that upset with her... Only complaint is not giving a heads up... The family needed time to prepare.. Especially Darla RA and Blue.. But Aunt Vi  and especially Charley ( who again nothing I've heard in Nova's book was a lie or wrong or even needlessly hurtful)  I ain't here for their tears

She may not have lied, but it wasn’t HER truth to tell.  So in order to tell it as a journalist she needed to get permission.  She used the argument with Charlie that most of the stuff about her in the book was public record.  But Ralph Angel/Darla/Blue’s story was not.  She did not interview them, and didn’t even witness most of their story first hand.  

• Love 6
On 7/6/2019 at 8:44 PM, After7Only said:

She may not have lied, but it wasn’t HER truth to tell.  So in order to tell it as a journalist she needed to get permission.  She used the argument with Charlie that most of the stuff about her in the book was public record.  But Ralph Angel/Darla/Blue’s story was not.  She did not interview them, and didn’t even witness most of their story first hand.  

It wasn't journalism, it was "memoir".