Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: AKA You're Welcome

Ah, the old "Lead gets shot, but lets take a break about that and show what has been going on with this other character!" bit.  A classic!

The montages (and costumes!) of Trish learning to be a "hero" was fun, and she certainly seems to be getting the handle of some aspects of it, but as much as I hate to agree with Dorothy about anything, Trish really does seem to be one bad day away from fully going off the deep end.  Like straight past Matt Murdock insanity  and full-blown Frank Castle. 

I guess I was suppose feel bad or feel like Malcolm crossed a line with how he put the screws to the phone-snatcher, but I really couldn't muster any energy to care.

So, they think Jessica's attacker was the guy Trish was trying to get the statue from.  We shall see!

• Love 5

Yeah, I hate "this guy is a serial criminal who thinks he can get away with everything but look, he is a good family man" stories. And, yes, it would have been pretty sh... of Malcolm to tell the son for the reasons he wanted to, but as someone who thinks that children are not stupid and deserve to know who their parents are, I actually think that keeping this truth away from him might be even worse. Plus, am I supposed to think that it is a good thing that this child idolizes a criminal?

• Love 5

I forgot how much I can't stand Trish until they devoted an episode on her selfish journey to being a hero. I almost turned it off. I hate the the I want to be a hero with powers trope so much. Since almost every time the character does something so incredibly selfish and stupid to get their powers or prove it to themselves that they hurt other along the way and its mostly their family and friends. Then I'm supposed to cheer them on when they have hero moments. Nope. The way they got their powers erases any act of heroism in my eyes. 

If they were trying to make a difference and helping people before they got powers then I'd give them a little more leeway but most of the time all they did was whine and complain and be selfish. That shows me it was about the glory of being a hero and the not actually being one to help people. That is Trish. 

• Love 16
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Ah, the old "Lead gets shot, but lets take a break about that and show what has been going on with this other character!" bit.  A classic!

Kristen Ritter directed this episode, I suspect freeing her up from from her on-camera duties was also a factor.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Aw, c'mon, Trish, why not the yellow bodysuit?  Seriously though, comic book costumes do not look good at all in live-action.

I'm not terribly impressed by Trish's superpowers.  Her acrobatic training montage was performed by a very human stuntwoman so what special power does she have apart from slightly enhanced night vision?

At least this episode gave us a break from Jessica's tiresome hard-drinking, self-pitying, I-hate-people routine.  It's starting to wear thin.  Oh well, it's the last season, so I guess I can take it one more time.  So is Netflix done with superheroes now?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, cdnalor said:

So is Netflix done with superheroes now?

With Marvel and DC ones. They have the Umbrella Academy which is basically the X-Men if they were raised by an asshole. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

I've never been able to stand Jeri and this season I am now skipping past all of her scenes.

Yeah, she's a horrible person. If she survives the season, i will be disappointed.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, moonshine71 said:

Yeah, she's a horrible person. If she survives the season, i will be disappointed.

Given the progression of the disease we saw last episode, absent a magical cure, I don't expect her to survive.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:04 AM, moonshine71 said:

Kristen Ritter directed this episode, I suspect freeing her up from from her on-camera duties was also a factor.

I decided to skip the opening credits, so I completely missed this. 

Even though it was obviously a stunt woman, I enjoyed the training montage as well as the costume shopping. So, after finding the hat in her trunk, did Trish return all the superhero outfits? Maybe she'll use some of her Home Shopping Show cardigans as part of her disguise in future episodes. 

Trish definitely has problems and has deluded herself into thinking that she's in this just to help others, yet I still like the character. But her mother, oy vey. Still don't like her. She really takes the Stage Mother routine to the 10th degree.

• Love 9
On 6/15/2019 at 5:12 AM, thuganomics85 said:

The montages (and costumes!) of Trish learning to be a "hero" was fun, and she certainly seems to be getting the handle of some aspects of it, but as much as I hate to agree with Dorothy about anything, Trish really does seem to be one bad day away from fully going off the deep end.  Like straight past Matt Murdock insanity  and full-blown Frank Castle. 

I thought it was Malcolm who said that instead of Dorothy

On 6/15/2019 at 9:32 AM, Sakura12 said:

I forgot how much I can't stand Trish until they devoted an episode on her selfish journey to being a hero. I almost turned it off.

We are the same!

19 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

I've never been able to stand Jeri and this season I am now skipping past all of her scenes.

God yes.  Trish, I am willing to tolerate.  But Jeri never seems to get any better.  I used to like Carrie Anne Moss but she's kind of ruined to me now.  

• Love 1

Trish's sanctimonious attitude is obnoxious. She's becoming more and more like her mother with every passing episode. I liked how Malcolm saw through her bullshit.

Although, I thought this show was at its best when everyone worked through their differences. It's a shame that last season used a terrible character, Jessica's mom, to make everyone so unlikable. It's such a shame.

I'll watch this season since it's the last. I really hope it gets better.

• Love 2

I enjoyed this episode focusing on Trish becoming a vigilante and her powers are fun although to me, not having Jessica's super strength is going to be a liability for a woman who is barely 100 pounds soaking wet.  At the same time, Trish is a junkie who exchanged one drug for another, this one being a vigilante.  Her quest to be a hero has a very "ME ME ME" tone to it.

Rebecca DeMornay has been fun this season.

Like many of the Marvel Netflix series, this episode could have used some tighter editing.

• Love 4
(edited)

Trish and her "I want to be a hero!" quest is really rubbing me the wrong way. It seems more out of a selfish desire to be special than actually wanting to help people. It also seems more like this is her newest addiction, with this unstable desperation in her eyes and this strung out "I need this!!!" reactions whenever people understandably point out that this is ridiculous. I do appreciate that her early attempts at being a hero are a bit of a mess, because even with kind of powers, she has little skill in stealth, investigation, or anything else that Jessica has, even when she is being her hot mess self. And her heroing seems to be such an inconvenience to the people around her, even her co-worker who has to work the late shift on their show to accommodate for Trish stalking people at night. 

You know who Trish reminds me of lately? Later season Olivia Benson from Law and Order SVU. Both are obsessed with being seen as saviors, both are filled with self importance and think that they always know best, no matter the situation, refuse to apologize for their mistakes because, again, they know best, and are mostly focused on helping attractive middle or upper class white women against evil white guys in suites or polo shirts. Its uncanny, and not a particularly good look. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

She killed Jessica’s mother.  Took her away from her again. She may have been dangerous, but it was still her mum.  Not sure why she expects her to just get over it.  

I’d forgotten that she hooked up with Malcolm, and used him last year.  

• Love 3

I thought this episode was fun! I loved the training and costume montages. I still like Trish, even though she's a selfish junkie. I found myself feeling sorry for her when she was desperately trying to contact Jessica. It was funny how she kept getting recognized, and the shopping network stuff is gold.

• Love 3
On 6/16/2019 at 3:23 AM, cdnalor said:

I'm not terribly impressed by Trish's superpowers.  Her acrobatic training montage was performed by a very human stuntwoman so what special power does she have apart from slightly enhanced night vision?

All I could think was that Trish has been intensively training in Krav Maga for years and years and now has superpowers, why can't she just cross the monkey bars on the first try? It's a child's play thing not something a super powered martial artist should need to train to master. Whatever about her having to train to wall flip, which as something humans can do still leaves a lot of questions about her powers, the monkey bars should not be a challenge of any kind to someone with her training regimen. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I don't like what Trish has become do I didn't like an episode totally focused on her. Also, I must be slow because didn't realize until at least halfway through that this episode took place in the same time period as the last episode--I assumed that this episode would pick up soon after the last one so I was confused by various things happening that didn't make sense, knowing that Jessica was critically injured (such as when Trish saw Jessica on the street). I thought Netflix had dropped the first two episodes out of order! 

• Love 1
On 6/22/2019 at 3:42 PM, AllyB said:

All I could think was that Trish has been intensively training in Krav Maga for years and years and now has superpowers, why can't she just cross the monkey bars on the first try? It's a child's play thing not something a super powered martial artist should need to train to master. Whatever about her having to train to wall flip, which as something humans can do still leaves a lot of questions about her powers, the monkey bars should not be a challenge of any kind to someone with her training regimen. 

All of this!  So she has slightly better than average reflexes maybe and slightly better night vision?  I’m not sure if they were trying to say the superpower transformation was stunted so Trish has to work super hard to take advantage of what little power boost she got or what. I like that they showed that even a superhuman person would need to train to learn to use their abilities to best advantage but this was basically someone already fit getting even more fit and then going out at night to catch robbers. 

Hated that we had to go through all the events of the previous episode all over again. 

• Love 1

Love them or hate them, I just love so many different takes on strong women in one show. I'm a guy who always loved female characters in all forms of media... so I love this show for this.

As selfish as Trish's journey I'm enjoying seeing it unfold... more likely unravel.

• Love 1

I totally cracked up when Trish tried to clean the table in her gross motel room with a handful of tissues.

I know I'm supposed to feel bad that Trish was being sued by the moron who stole that other guy's phone, but come on. Trish has been famous for most of her life. Did she really think she could just become a vigilante and no one would recognize her? I'm not saying she needs a full on superhero costume, but she should at least consider changing her hair and hiding her face with sunglasses or a half mask. ANYTHING, sheesh.

I had to laugh at her training montage, partly because that running up the wall into a backflip is something that a lot of street dancers without superpowers learn how to do.  And the monkey bars! That's something that elementary school kids without superpowers manage to do! I remember we also had to get across the monkey b bars as part of the obstacle course we were forced to do in middle school. We were allowed too skip bars if we wanted to. So congratulations, Trish! With your amazing superpowers you have managed to do something that children can do!

Malcolm is definitely good at his job. I just rolled my eyes when Trish told him never to do anything like that on her behalf again. Not your call, lady. He did what his employer told him to do. He works for Jeri, not you. And am I supposed to feel sorry for a guy who mugs people and then sues?

• Love 1
On 6/15/2019 at 8:23 PM, cdnalor said:

Her acrobatic training montage was performed by a very human stuntwoman so what special power does she have apart from slightly enhanced night vision?

Yeah, late to this (bored during pandemic), but I came here to see if anyone caught something I don't, i.e. what exactly are Trish's super powers? I still don't know. She is 40 and has the reflexes of someone who is 20? That seems more like Tom Brady than Capt America.

• Love 1
On 6/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, Ottis said:

Yeah, late to this (bored during pandemic), but I came here to see if anyone caught something I don't, i.e. what exactly are Trish's super powers? I still don't know. She is 40 and has the reflexes of someone who is 20? That seems more like Tom Brady than Capt America.

To be fair Steve Rogers powers over the years and artist as well as the MCU have seemed to be all over the map from peak human to a cyborg Deathlok  pushing a tractor across a football field and asking if he reached Cap's record for that task.

In any case raw muscle power is Jessica Jones' power set and for Trish to have the same would be like War Machine and Iron Man working as sisters instead of say a Hulk and DareDevil

On 6/26/2020 at 8:50 PM, Raja said:

In any case raw muscle power is Jessica Jones' power set and for Trish to have the same would be like War Machine and Iron Man working as sisters instead of say a Hulk and DareDevil

Thanks for the spoiler marked info. Good to see what she becomes. My issue has been that right now, at this point of the season, it isn't clear what powers Trish has. In fact, until Jessica

Spoiler

throws Trish out a window later,

all we can see is some decent body control. With someone in Trish's shape, with her years of training, that could be as much superior shape as a "power." I don't care much what her powers are, I just would like to see them as actual powers. It's been weird to have so much discussion about her powers, Trish wanting to use them to help people, etc., and I just keep asking, "What powers, exactly?"