Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/17/2021 at 10:29 PM, jacksgirl said:

Quit trying to make "Cloffice" happen.

And her new light fixture over the sink was fugly.

I didn't think the fixture was so unattractive, just that it was a bad choice for that spot. You could see the bulb glowing inside -- right in your eyes over the sink.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Portland OR couple, glad they picked the 3rd house, it was the best choice for them. Woman was annoying, huge fear of missing out. Is she 18?  Know what? Make your own fun then you won't miss out on anything.

Yes. They weren't talking about having room for guests and a good space to entertain like most of the young couples on this show. I didn't mind the blue cabinets but counter top was bad. Can't believe they decided to buy a house without even being engaged.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Raleigh, NC. Can't believe a couple so young is buying a house. At least their budget wasn't outrageous. They had better keep their day jobs since I wasn't impressed with either of their artistic skills. That painting she was doing reminded me of the ones that people did while drinking that was all the rage a few years ago. Glad they were smart. Their dog was the best part.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I wanted that Portland woman to take a few classes on true vintage Portland houses. 

She said she lived in Portland all her life.  I wonder if this show was filmed prior to the present state of disruptions we see in Portland on the news each night.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

She said she lived in Portland all her life.  I wonder if this show was filmed prior to the present state of disruptions we see in Portland on the news each night.

So? Just because you've lived there doesn't mean you know vintage Portland architecture and design. 

• Love 5
(edited)

North Carolina: What did each of them do for a living? I missed the first few minutes. I assume the white boy rapper isn’t making a living rapping. 😏

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

Did you know that the Portland woman likes vintage houses?  OMG, she must have said that word 50 times (slight exaggeration) during the course of the episode.  My brother lives in Portland in a 100 year old bungalow style house that is considered Portland vintage.  It looks nothing like any of the houses they looked at.  His is much nicer.  I was screaming at the TV when I saw the kitchen in the first house they saw.  Those cabinets had a slap dash paint job, and there are no words to describe those counters, yet the woman thought it was charming and had character.  Thank goodness the boyfriend put his foot down on painting the cabinets in the house they selected.  

As for the Raleigh couple, all he wants to do is rap in a closet, and she wants to paint.  Of the two, she had the most common sense about $$, and home maintenance I think.  Yes, the dog was cute.  I like the realtor's description of Cary, which must mean it's populated by mostly people who have moved to Raleigh recently.

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, laredhead said:

Did you know that the Portland woman likes vintage houses?  OMG, she must have said that word 50 times (slight exaggeration) during the course of the episode.  My brother lives in Portland in a 100 year old bungalow style house that is considered Portland vintage.  It looks nothing like any of the houses they looked at.  His is much nicer.  I was screaming at the TV when I saw the kitchen in the first house they saw.  Those cabinets had a slap dash paint job, and there are no words to describe those counters, yet the woman thought it was charming and had character.  Thank goodness the boyfriend put his foot down on painting the cabinets in the house they selected.  

As for the Raleigh couple, all he wants to do is rap in a closet, and she wants to paint.  Of the two, she had the most common sense about $$, and home maintenance I think.  Yes, the dog was cute.  I like the realtor's description of Cary, which must mean it's populated by mostly people who have moved to Raleigh recently.

Cary is in the hub of the Research Triangle area.  Convenient to UNC, Duke and NC state, which is why  it's so desirable.

Edited by cameron
  • Like 1
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

North Carolina: What did each of them do for a living? I missed the first few minutes. I assume the white boy rapper isn’t making a living rapping. 😏

I forget. It was the usual vague marketing and sales.

• Love 7
On 6/23/2021 at 11:09 AM, jacksgirl said:

Portland OR couple, glad they picked the 3rd house, it was the best choice for them. Woman was annoying, huge fear of missing out. Is she 18?  Know what? Make your own fun then you won't miss out on anything.

She’s 34! I loved those natural cabinets in the house they picked. The dog was so cute in her big bed in front of the fireplace. 🥰

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

North Carolina delusional rapper; just stop please!

He can join his GF in that characterization of her "art." 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how these two were able to enter the red hot real estate market in highly competitive N.C. with the background both of them described.  

Early 20's, unmarried, vague career descriptions?? 

Hopefully some real estate professional will explain the financial profile they would have to possess to successfully qualify for the house they bought.

• Love 6

Kansas City. This is going to be a bad dynamic. How did Jessica manage to move into Brett's place when other people have pooped there? She needed new build and white kitchen while he needed huge with 3 car garage at a bargain price. Tired of the manufactured drama.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, pdlinda said:

He can join his GF in that characterization of her "art." 

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how these two were able to enter the red hot real estate market in highly competitive N.C. with the background both of them described.  

Early 20's, unmarried, vague career descriptions?? 

Hopefully some real estate professional will explain the financial profile they would have to possess to successfully qualify for the house they bought.

yeah, something seems off here and the sampling of his rapping? he thinks he sounds good?  just awful

• Love 7
On 6/23/2021 at 10:32 PM, Grizzly said:

Raleigh, NC. Can't believe a couple so young is buying a house. At least their budget wasn't outrageous. They had better keep their day jobs since I wasn't impressed with either of their artistic skills. That painting she was doing reminded me of the ones that people did while drinking that was all the rage a few years ago. Glad they were smart. Their dog was the best part.

I thought the same thing about the painting, and don't serious artists use an easel, not the kitchen table?  I'm old and don't like rap, so that didn't help me like his.rappng any better.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
59 minutes ago, Johann said:

I thought the same thing about the painting, and don't serious artists use an easel, not the kitchen table?  I'm old and don't like rap, so that didn't help me like his.rappng any better.

She never claimed to be a professional artist. She said it was a creative hobby she enjoys. Why all the shade?

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

She never claimed to be a professional artist. She said it was a creative hobby she enjoys. Why all the shade?

I think I recall her saying she was teaching an art class (at a community center?  community college? ).  That was the basis of my comment.  If her creations were what you described, the comments about the quality of her "art" might have been more muted.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

I think I recall her saying she was teaching an art class (at a community center?  community college? ). 

I heard her say she taught an art (painting?) class, but I don't recall any specifics, except that it gave me the impression that it was a side gig at best.

• Love 1
On 6/24/2021 at 10:31 PM, Grizzly said:

Kansas City. This is going to be a bad dynamic. How did Jessica manage to move into Brett's place when other people have pooped there? She needed new build and white kitchen while he needed huge with 3 car garage at a bargain price. Tired of the manufactured drama.

Another show, another delusional couple.  At least they were married; so if they do separate dividing up the house would be easier.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I heard her say she taught an art (painting?) class, but I don't recall any specifics, except that it gave me the impression that it was a side gig at best.

She said she taught painting on the weekends. I think she said at a community college. I agree, the one they showed looked like it was the type done at a paint and sip party.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I think I recall her saying she was teaching an art class (at a community center?  community college? ).  That was the basis of my comment.  If her creations were what you described, the comments about the quality of her "art" might have been more muted.  

Agree about the community center part.

Just went back and rewatched.  She actually teaches painting classes on the weekend.  Art must be in the "eyes of the beholder" I guess.

Edited by cameron
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, cameron said:

Agree about the community center part.

Just went back and rewatched.  She actually teaches painting classes on the weekend.  Art must be in the "eyes of the beholder" I guess.

There is that old bon mot "Those who can't do teach."

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Is that what it's called?  I confess I have my computer desk, computer, printer, etc. behind bifold doors in my guest room.  That way I can just open them up to work there if necessary but they are out of sight when I am not using them. However, since I am retired, it's not like that is my full time work space.

Is that what it's called?  I confess I have my computer desk, computer, printer, etc. behind bifold doors in my guest room.  That way I can just open them up to work there if necessary but they are out of sight when I am not using them. However, since I am retired, it's not like that is my full time work space.

• Love 2

Miami. Good grief, 300k doesn't buy you much. They aren't saying how close these houses are to downtown. Can't believe she got the fixer upper. I guess it was the backyard.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Miami. Good grief, 300k doesn't buy you much. They aren't saying how close these houses are to downtown. Can't believe she got the fixer upper. I guess it was the backyard.

I know, right? Those were some unimpressive houses (house 3 was the best). All of them had white tile floors. 😬 I understand tile floors in case of flooding, but there are more choices to be had. The kitchen in the fixer upper will need a lot more than new countertops. And then there were the bathrooms.

I kept thinking of that collapsed condo building...😞

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I think it was being near her mother for babysitting.

8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I know, right? Those were some unimpressive houses (house 3 was the best). All of them had white tile floors. 😬 I understand tile floors in case of flooding, but there are more choices to be had. The kitchen in the fixer upper will need a lot more than new countertops. And then there were the bathrooms.

I kept thinking of that collapsed condo building...😞

I think the tiles are for coolness also. Weirdly there was an episode with a house on Long Island recently that had similar white tile in the living room.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I think the tiles are for coolness also. Weirdly there was an episode with a house on Long Island recently that had similar white tile in the living room.

Tile is also easier to take care of if kids track sand or dirt in. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

San Francisco to San Diego. Is that really her husband?

She must be the perfect woman if he agreed to marry her. Here's a thought, if you need a hideaway from your kids, maybe don't have kids.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

San Diego, they've been looking for one year, and he's a perfectionist.  She wants 2,000 sq. ft., and he wants 3,000 sq. ft., and a walk-in pantry.    I find the wife is picky, but the husband ruins every house tour.   Kevin, the husband wants 5 bedrooms, walk in pantry, near the beach, and at his price point.   He also hates Spanish style, which is the prevalent style in San Diego.   I think the real estate agent is tired of both house hunters. 

#1-with a pool, nice house.  2500 sq. ft. Split level.   In Oceanside. 

#2-$1.2 million, 4,000 sq. ft.  "Craftsman" (no, it really isn't).  With a walk-in pantry.  Huge kitchen.  No where near the beach.  Massive main bedroom, and double walk-in closets.  No pool.    

#3-Spanish Style, close to his family, and 10 minutes to the beach.   Floors are wood-look tile, so he doesn't like it, or the big fireplace.   $1.4 million.   Tile counters in the kitchen, so I would change that, no walk-in pantry, but plenty of counter and cabinet space.    Big pool, and a smallish lawn, and an outbuilding.    Why does the husband insist on a 'get away room'?    The husband is the 'update everything' part of the couple.    He wants a white kitchen, with granite or quartz, and a walk-in pantry.   I agree with replacing the stair carpet, and redoing the carpet in the bedrooms upstairs, but the main bath is lovely, and he wants to redo that too. 

They buy #3, and gutted the kitchen, redo the fireplace, and it will take two months (try four months) to do the remodeling, so it's up to his royal dorkiness' standards. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

3-Spanish Style, close to his family, and 10 minutes to the beach.   Floors are wood-look tile, so he doesn't like it, or the big fireplace.   $1.4 million.   Tile counters in the kitchen, so I would change that, no walk-in pantry, but plenty of counter and cabinet space.    Big pool, and a smallish lawn, and an outbuilding.   

I call bullshit on his not liking Spanish style. This was the house, obviously, and  Senor Picky can get his walk-in pantry and dream kitchen. I loved that the wife claimed the outbuilding as her office. Or, you know, getaway space.😂

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

After the first few minutes of watching Kevin and Lonnie in San Diego, I couldn’t wait to come here to read the snark on him. 🤨

He reminded me of a whining, complaining Woody Allen-type character. That poor wife must be extremely patient. 

How could the realtor keep from rolling her eyes?

And how long will he be remodeling and updating until his home is perfect enough to move in to?

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, answerphone said:

After the first few minutes of watching Kevin and Lonnie in San Diego, I couldn’t wait to come here to read the snark on him. 🤨

He reminded me of a whining, complaining Woody Allen-type character. That poor wife must be extremely patient. 

And how long will he be remodeling and updating until his home is perfect enough to move in to?

My guess is they are only doing the big things before they move in.   I suspect that Mr. Picky will be redoing everything in the house, forever.      I feel sorry for the neighbors, I can only imagine if a single leaf crosses the property line.    I hope there isn't an HOA in that subdivision, or Kevin will make the board members lives living hell with his bizarre complains about everything.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, answerphone said:

OMG! This guy was a whiny nit picky dork...his wife must have been desperate to get married when she hooked up with him...yikes! Besides the fact that they picked a house with a million dollar plus price point, they basically are going to gut it and remodel almost every room in the house. If the wife thinks they will be moving into this house in just a few months then she's delusional. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, cameron said:

Alexandria Va. couple.  Glad they didn't go with house #3 in the SE area of DC.  Majority of that area is sketchy, to say the least. High crime area.

I was hoping and praying they didn't pick the house in SE.  I know crime rates have gone up across the country, but DC's crime rate has risen, and not just in SE.   Not to mention the parking  nightmare. 

• Useful 1
17 hours ago, Grizzly said:

She must be the perfect woman if he agreed to marry her. Here's a thought, if you need a hideaway from your kids, maybe don't have kids.

It irks me to no end that's it's always the man requesting a hideaway. I wish the realtor would ask "what about a hideaway for your wife, who works much harder than you?" In this case, it seems like both spouses work full-time, but it sounds like she does most of the housework (hence not wanting a huge house) and he just "hides away" whenever he pleases.

17 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They buy #3, and gutted the kitchen, redo the fireplace, and it will take two months (try four months) to do the remodeling, so it's up to his royal dorkiness' standards. 

These days it takes 2+ months just for the materials to ship. I'm in the process of buying a new house and just placed an order with a window treatment contractor. Shipping time for the materials is 10 weeks (last time I worked with that contractor in 2012 it took less than two weeks). I've also thought about replacing the carpet in the bedrooms with the same engineered wood floors that are on the main level, but that particular flooring is on backorder, so I most likely won't be able to get that done before I have to move in.

15 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Whose? 😏

Not hers, that's for sure.

• Love 4

A 25 year old software engineer in D.C. who is looking for his first home, with a $700k to $800k budget.     As Ryan says, software engineering pays very well.   He wants 2 bed/2 bath, outdoor space,   I really like his parents, and his two brothers.  He wants to stay in D.C., but I like the idea moving out to the close in burbs, near a metro station. 

#1 - 2 bed 1 tiny bath, open fireplace, balcony, water views, 2 small bedrooms upstairs, with a tiny full bath.  No first floor half bath.  Georgetown location.    No closets in the main bedroom.    I hope this one is a decoy, because I hate it. 

#2 - semi-detached row home, close to a subway station, in Alexandria, for $745k, an end unit, 3 bedrooms, and 2 full baths. 1200 sq. ft. Spectacular kitchen, dining room attached.    It would be over a million in D.C. With a smallish yard, with a small detached garage.   Really nice floors.   Main bedroom is huge, nice en suite.    

He wants to look at places just under $900k, but in D.C. 

#3 - Third floor, Logan Circle, elevator building at $899k, 1200 sq. ft. close to work, 2 bed with den, an industrial loft style.   2nd bedroom is nice, 3rd bedroom is small, main bedroom is huge for D.C.   He wants to rent the main bedroom with en suite out, for a lot of rent.   No outdoor space.   Very open living/dining room, with a smaller but totally updated kitchen.  He didn't mention parking either.  

I hope he buys the second place.   He buys #1 in Georgetown.   $709k list, 

• Love 4

D.C. A 25 year old with an 800k budget?! Where did I go wrong? Georgetown is an expensive area. A single guy who wants more than 1 bathroom? His parents should be happy that he was sensible with his money. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

You weren't lucky enough to be born a male into a well-off family?

Well, no. I also wasn't into software engineering. Damn liberal arts education.

• LOL 13
(edited)

What is with the two tone hair that seems to be prevalent in that family in Ellicott City, and find it really hard to believe that he bikes into the District from his family's home.  Note to Ryan, Old Town Alexandria isn't in the suburbs.  Actually a bustling city.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 10