Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wonder what app the Eugene couple met on that’s for people into fitness. I’m into fitness!

The Eugene guy reminded me of someone but I can’t quite call it.

That Dalmatian tub in the first house was killing me.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 4/6/2023 at 10:25 AM, Lady Lucy said:

I've lived in Chicago. There is no way I'd live in Batavia if I had to commute into The Loop 5 days a week.

No kidding!  I spend time out near Batavia and whenever I decide to go to Chicago one day on the train, by the time I get back that evening I'm not enthused at all about doing it again.  Never mind 12 hours from then.  For the next four days.  (Then again, I'm not getting paid to do it, so there's that.)

Then again, people do it.  I guess it's just what you're used to, but in this case, the lady was used to living downtown, so I'm guessing it will be a big adjustment.

And in a car?  Yikes.  The show said the commute was 42 miles and 45 minutes.  That's assuming not a single slow-down the entire way, which seems a tad bit optimistic, especially during rush hour. 

• Like 5

And in a car?  Yikes.  The show said the commute was 42 miles and 45 minutes.  That's assuming not a single slow-down the entire way, which seems a tad bit optimistic, especially during rush hour. 

I lived in Oak Park for a while and commuted to the westside medical center. it was 10 miles. Most days it took an hour. And that was in the 70s!! 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

The show said the commute was 42 miles and 45 minutes.  That's assuming not a single slow-down the entire way, which seems a tad bit optimistic, especially during rush hour. 

As if that would ever happen. 😆 That woman knows the area, I think she was planning on working remotely!

• LOL 1
16 minutes ago, buttersister said:

As if that would ever happen. 😆 That woman knows the area, I think she was planning on working remotely!

I thought she mentioned only having to be at work for 3 days.

I loathe a long commute and would never willingly purchase a home with a long commute. 

However, it there was a commute by rail in which I was assured a seat it wouldn't be horrendous because I could either nap, do work or just have phone on my electronic devices. 

Also if one doesn't have young children AND there is a spouse at home it could be semi-tolerable because you wouldn't have to immediately figure out how to get dinner on the table - perhaps spouse would be taking care of that like an old fashioned stay at home spouse. 

• Like 2

It's almost a two-hour train ride from Batavia to Chicago. Batavia is almost directly south of St. Charles and when a friend moved out there, she invited people to visit--with the condition that they could stay over (lots of room). So, yeah. The husband must really wanted to live out there.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, buttersister said:

It's almost a two-hour train ride from Batavia to Chicago.

Even if it's a train that makes all the stops, it's an hour and 15 minutes from Geneva to downtown.  Rush hour trains that skip stops take about an hour.  Still nothing I'd want to do frequently.

And the last time I took that train it was half an hour late getting in to downtown because of rail traffic.  I'm guessing employers will understand if you left your house at 6:30 in the morning and still didn't make it to work on time because the train was sitting on the tracks.

Actually, I got curious and found out that Metra offers "late slips" if the train is delayed, to give to your employer.  Unfortunately, I don't think that will help when I'm going downtown to see a movie.  "Here's my late slip.  Start it over."

51 minutes ago, buttersister said:

The husband must really wanted to live out there.

Is he the one who mentioned having work tools?  If so, I'm assuming his work is in the Lombard vicinity, where he was currently living and where one of the houses they looked at was.  And Lombard would shave 25 minutes off the train time each way compared to Batavia.

It sounds like Batavia is more burdensome for both of them, so yeah, they must have really wanted that house.

What I'd like to know is if she's insane enough to drive.  Obviously a lot of people do it, to cause that much congestion.  Even on weekends it can be torturous; I can't even imagine actual rush hour.

• Like 2

Watched some old episode with a Hawaii couple moving to Detroit and they were so annoying. They were just assuming that 350K would get them a big house since it’s the Midwest, forgetting that the market was hot. Wouldn’t you sort of look at the house prices prior to moving there so you have an idea? And the lady was extremely nasally and kept talking about her yoga area, and kept whining about seeing her neighbors when two of the houses had enormous backyards. Go back to Hawaii fools.

• Like 9

it's an hour and 15 minutes from Geneva to downtown. 

Google told me 1.5 hours and that was to Wilson, about a half hour from the Loop. But either way, that's a 3 - 4 hour ride three times a week. That's a lot of podcasts or books to catch up on. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, twoods said:

Watched some old episode with a Hawaii couple moving to Detroit and they were so annoying. They were just assuming that 350K would get them a big house since it’s the Midwest, forgetting that the market was hot. Wouldn’t you sort of look at the house prices prior to moving there so you have an idea? And the lady was extremely nasally and kept talking about her yoga area, and kept whining about seeing her neighbors when two of the houses had enormous backyards. Go back to Hawaii fools.

I remember that episode.   If they wanted a huge house, with a big yard, then they should have bought a fixer in the main part of Detroit, with several neighboring lots.    I found their routine about 'seeing the neighbors' ridiculous, and their idea that they were getting a mansion equally bizarre.    

• Like 6
On 4/8/2023 at 9:13 AM, Empress1 said:

I wonder what app the Eugene couple met on that’s for people into fitness. I’m into fitness!

If it's the episode I'm thinking of, he looked, at times, like Bret Favre.

I'm one of those people that rarely see what others do when they see kids and say, "he has your eyes" or whatever.  But recently, I've seen Bret Favre here, Dennis Quaid in the hot sauce Geico commercial and Aaron Rodgers in Farmer Wants a Wife.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 4/8/2023 at 9:13 AM, Empress1 said:

I thought it looked like a blank crossword puzzle!

• Like 3

Boston, MA. #1 seemed to be a good option for being that close to the city. 1.5 bathrooms would be my stumbling block. Geez, did you see the faucet dripping in the red sink at #2? That house was way to funky. And the third house was fine. Don't hate the couple but not a fan either. 

• Like 1

Was the family who had six kids and the wife’s blog was making bank, her words (I think I have the right phrase she used), a new episode? I recorded it over the weekend because it said new. She mentioned the blog a lot and even had several photo ops of the family featured during the show, matching outfits (looked like red long john’s in one photoshoot session) and she seemed to tote around one of those circle light things the entire episode. They complained of her mother controlling them with money. They were okay-ish but it was like a few other recent episodes where it is more an ad for insert promotional thing here instead of house hunting. They picked a reasonable house.

The widower and divorcee were interesting in trying to move forward. I hated the choices they showed. Unless I was just out and out taking one for the team or in dire straights, there is no way I would ever willingly get a house with the bathroom directly connected to a kitchen, dining room, living room. 

Edited by stewedsquash
the

The Baton Rouge blogger was a rerun.    I hated that all she thought about was having a separate room for her blog, and didn't seem to be interested in the space for her kids.    The endless talk about her mother controling her by paying a lot of the house initial costs made me angry.   If you think someone is controlling you by giving you thousands of dollars, then don't accept it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
45 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Baton Rouge blogger was a rerun.    I hated that all she thought about was having a separate room for her blog, and didn't seem to be interested in the space for her kids.    The endless talk about her mother controling her by paying a lot of the house initial costs made me angry.   If you think someone is controlling you by giving you thousands of dollars, then don't accept it. 

I haven't watched the show in a long time and this episode made me uncomfortable.I actually thought it was some type of joke or parody.   The husband looked miserable

• Like 7
16 hours ago, laredhead said:

stewedsquash, the Baton Rouge episode with the 6 kids was a rerun.  I didn't like it the first time around, and I certainly wasn't going to watch it again. 

No idea why this was aired

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sunday HH episodes are reruns, and for a while they were rerunning the two episodes put together that ran on Mondays, on Saturday nights.    

The homeless to homeowner in Houston was interesting, and with a formerly homeless realtor.    She wanted a three bedroom, and I like that for resale.   If she bought a condo then I would say a two bedroom would be better for resale.   I really liked her current apartment.   The most important thing for Houston homes is "Never flooded".   

House 1-3 bed 2 bath, 1300 sq ft, single family, 1 car garage. $219,900   Lovely home, but was it redone because it flooded?  I like the main bedroom, and the lovely ensuite, with the tub she wants.  Fenced back yard. House is under the landing / takeoff path for the airport.   Why didn't the remodeler replace the air conditioner unit, and fix the fence? Fence is shared with the neighbors, so more issues. 

House 2-townhouse, new build, under budget, $229k, 2 bed, 2 bath, upstairs laundry closet,  $625 a year for the HOA, but what does the HOA cover?   Gated.  Why do you go right from the entry hall into the kitchen with dining area, and the living room on the back?   kitchen is small.  builder will put fences between units. upstairs to bedrooms.   Is there a half bath on the first floor?   main bedroom closet is very small.  ensuite bath is OK, but small and no tub. 

House 3- $249,950, single family, 3 bed, 2 bath, nice curb appeal but garage door is dented. I love the tile floors, and beautiful huge kitchen, with the big fireplace. and attached family room.   back yard has a ton of trees, and a nice deck.    Hallway to the three bedrooms, and two baths, big bedrooms, nice guest bath with a tub. main bedroom is decent size, and walk-in closet, and tub in ensuite.   

She bought #1, in spite of the airplane noise.   I would have bought #3, and cleared the pine trees out of the back yard.   

Maui. They claimed it was new, but this was a rerun. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My friend was also disturbed!🤣  She looked her up and plot twist!  They immediately moved into another house in her mother's neighborhood.....I am sure she just wanted to be on tv for her blog.  

2 hours ago, rhofmovalley said:

Yeah, I remember the guy with his "friend's son". He thought he was oh so quirky.

I have been away from House Hunters for a while.  I did not like the son's attitude and irritation!  After watching the Baton Rouge episode and another Costa Rica one where the husband was acting like a child, I question if I can even tolerate House Hunters now.  It used to be mindless watching. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The sunday HH episodes are reruns, and for a while they were rerunning the two episodes put together that ran on Mondays, on Saturday nights.    

The homeless to homeowner in Houston was interesting, and with a formerly homeless realtor.    She wanted a three bedroom, and I like that for resale.   If she bought a condo then I would say a two bedroom would be better for resale.   I really liked her current apartment.   The most important thing for Houston homes is "Never flooded".   

House 1-3 bed 2 bath, 1300 sq ft, single family, 1 car garage. $219,900   Lovely home, but was it redone because it flooded.  I like the main bedroom, and the lovely ensuite, with the tub she wants.  Fenced back yard. House is under the landing / takeoff path for the airport.   Why didn't the remodeler replace the air conditioner unit, and fix the fence? Fence is shared with the neighbors, so more issues. 

House 2-townhouse, new build, under budget, $229k, 2 bed, 2 bath, upstairs laundry closet,  $625 a year for the HOA, but what does the HOA cover?   Gated.  Why do you go right from the entry hall into the kitchen with dining area, and the living room on the back?   kitchen is small.  builder will put fences between units. upstairs to bedrooms.   Is there a half bath on the first floor?   main bedroom closet is very small.  ensuite bath is OK, but small and no tub. 

House 3- $249,950, single family, 3 bed, 2 bath, nice curb appeal but garage door is dented. I love the tile floors, and beautiful huge kitchen, with the big fireplace. and attached family room.   back yard has a ton of trees, and a nice deck.    Hallway to the three bedrooms, and two baths, big bedrooms, nice guest bath with a tub. main bedroom is decent size, and walk-in closet, and tub in ensuite.   

She bought #1, in spite of the airplane noise.   I would have bought #3, and cleared the pine trees out of the back yard.   

I slept watched half of this. I did not realize the home had been flooded. She had a good story, I just remember thinking she seemed to be fragile, but with everything she went through I get it.    I was thinking she didn't get the last one because it was at the top of the budget and she wanted to make changes to things. Also, that yard work adds up.  Trust me, I fell for that with my first home alone, and ended up with all these trees whilst lovely needed to be maintained, and the yard and deck was massive.   As her friend said, that added up quickly!! 

That tub was important to her.  I couldn't guess ages, but I would have gotten the townhome and just drove to the dance studio!  What if it relocates or closes? 

Edited by catrice2
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

House 1-3 bed 2 bath, 1300 sq ft, single family, 1 car garage. $219,900   Lovely home, but was it redone because it flooded.  I like the main bedroom, and the lovely ensuite, with the tub she wants.  Fenced back yard. House is under the landing / takeoff path for the airport.   Why didn't the remodeler replace the air conditioner unit, and fix the fence? Fence is shared with the neighbors, so more issues. 

yeah, airplane noise and the traffic behind the house, not a chance i would go for that one, but hope she's happy

• Like 5
4 hours ago, edie3 said:

Those townhouse (#2) looked like Legos to me. And so small.  She seemed so happy and fun. I'm happy for her!

Yeah, she wanted a tub, and at a certain age a one story has it's appeal, but so does low maintenance and no yard work and not climbing into a tub.   Lord knows what she went through.  Always nice to see a good story instead of people bickering over staged nonsense!  Would have loved to know more about the realtor!  From homeless to selling homes! 

Edited by catrice2
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I slept watched half of this. I did not realize the home had been flooded. She had a good story, I just remember thinking she seemed to be fragile, but with everything she went through I get it.    I was thinking she didn't get the last one because it was at the top of the budget and she wanted to make changes to things. Also, that yard work adds up.  Trust me, I fell for that with my first home alone, and ended up with all these trees whilst lovely needed to be maintained, and the yard and deck was massive.   As her friend said, that added up quickly!! 

That tub was important to her.  I couldn't guess ages, but I would have gotten the townhome and just drove to the dance studio!  What if it relocates or closes? 

I didn't put the correct punctuation.   On the sentence about being remodeled, I was asking if it was because it flooded, and didn't intend to state it had been.   A lot of homes flooded during Harvey that never had a water issue before, and a lot of slab homes and apartments had to be gutted and totally redone. I really wonder why the third home was redone?   Was it just a remodel, or remodeled because it had issues?  

The third home would have worried me, because the back yard had a lot of trees, and if any had shallow roots, or were diseased, they could topple, and removal is expensive.   Also, the upkeep on that yard with branches, and pine straw or leaves would have been an issue.    I guess the Houston HH woman picked the right home. 

• Like 3

Biloxi: how old was she? (I thought her husband was younger.) 45, maybe? Her oldest kid is 21 and they were talking about babies. Kids aged 21, 12 and newborn is not at all what I’d want, but okay.

• LOL 1
19 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Boston. I wish the realtor called them "ladies" instead of "girls". Interesting that home prices were coming down a bit.

Yeah, that bothered me too. Was he a family friend or something? If not, I wouldn't appreciate a supposed professional addressing me as a "girl". Although I'm considerably older than those young ladies are and am well past my "girl" days 😆

I'm visiting Boston next Spring so I found the episode interesting. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Boston. I wish the realtor called them "ladies" instead of "girls". Interesting that home prices were coming down a bit.

I'm glad I'm not alone in objecting to how he addressed the ladies!  I couldn't believe his cavalier tone when using the term "girls."  It's 2023...WAKE UP!!!!

• Like 5
33 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

While the realtor should have said "ladies," they giggled and acted like two middle schoolers, and they got on my nerves.  I didn't like any of the places shown.

I agree and thought all of the places were terrible. 

I realize Boston is a HCOL area. I live in a high cost of living area but there should be a condo available in a decent area that doesn't have such obvious dysfunctional flaws.

I thought her final choice was terrible for many reasons - a spiral staircase is going to get old real fast. Also - and perhaps as a single woman I am more safety conscious - but I would NEVER want to live in an apartment on the ground floor or where there was such convenient access.

And I think buying into a condo with two or three other units is a recipe for complete disaster. I live in a condo but there is a Board and professional management and safeguards regarding money for both monthly maintenance as well as capital repairs. I don't know how people function when you have to essentially get two or three people to agree on everything to move forward. And if one person decides to stop paying - or refuses to pay for a necessary repair - there is only you or a few other people to pick up the slack.

And excuse me for rolling my eyes when the top floor of a normal three story home is now called the "Penthouse". A penthouse is a very specific type of architecture - it is generally literally a miniature "house" on top of the roof. The best ones have space all around them like a regular house but even the more restricted ones generally have large exterior space because they use the roof 

• Like 7

I didn't like either of the Boston places for a single woman. (Somerville was obviously not the location for her.) The South Boston place she didn't choose had the bedroom windows opening right on the landing of the common outdoor stairs. 

About being called "girls," I've noticed that a lot of young women these days call themselves girls and are fine with men doing so. The need to raise consciousness and fight for equality never ends, eh.

• Like 1

(I know a couple of older friends of the family, both are in their 70's, twins, and are still called the "Miller Girls".)

I didn't like any of the Boston places.   The one with the bedroom below street level looked like a safety risk, and the lack of parking could be a big issue, especially if you have to move off the street for snow plowing, or if there's a big event happening.  

The New Orleans HHers were so boring.  I'm sick of the country/city argument, and one partner having a lot higher budget than the other.    So, they bought a place by the river, with only two bedrooms, for almost $300k.   At least it's not in a flood zone. 

Blended family of nine, hunting in Atlanta.  She demands a pool. At least they have a decent budget, and want a more expensive house than the usual house shoppers. She's another fan of white kitchens.  The second house with a creek behind the house would be a big hell no for me, snakes, water issues, so that's a no for me.  Third house has a huge pool and spa, of course it's the most expensive house.   Why don't any of the buyers demanding a pool, plan on a screen room around it?  No leaves, keeps critters out of the pool (except alligators).    

No surprise they pick the one with the pool, for $875k, but she still demand to do major projects. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
On 4/10/2023 at 11:48 AM, Johann said:

If it's the episode I'm thinking of, he looked, at times, like Bret Favre.

I'm one of those people that rarely see what others do when they see kids and say, "he has your eyes" or whatever.  But recently, I've seen Bret Favre here, Dennis Quaid in the hot sauce Geico commercial and Aaron Rodgers in Farmer Wants a Wife.

Aaron Rodgers for SURE in Farmer Wants a Wife.

• Like 1

The Philadelphia couple were so giving, and inspiring.   I didn't really like any of the houses, and why they bought the house with the wild colors is beyond me.   The house wall colors needed major repainting to cover the colors up.  I would have refaced the cabinets, to whatever the couple wanted, and changed the back splash.     I hated the kitchen cabinet colors, that very odd green, but the back splash tile just as awful.  I think painting that exterior would be better left to the professionals, who could spray a heavy primer coat, and then do whatever ceiling and wall colors the homeowners want.    

The husband's demand for a wine fridge, and wine rack was petty.   The kitchen had plenty of space for a wine fridge, and wine racks above it.  If they remove the bottom cabinet, they could easy put a double wine fridge with racks above to hold hundreds of bottles.     I liked the third house, but I guess the couple picked the best location and price for them.   I hope they are happy in that house.  

Today's HGTV reruns must be for Earth day or something.  Except I find nothing ecologically sound about getting a giant vineyard, and the Australia episode with the woman who sensed the energy in trees left me cold.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The Philadelphia couple were so giving, and inspiring.   I didn't really like any of the houses, and why they bought the house with the wild colors is beyond me.   The house wall colors needed major repainting to cover the colors up.  I would have refaced the cabinets, to whatever the couple wanted, and changed the back splash.     I hated the kitchen cabinet colors, that very odd green, but the back splash tile just as awful.   

The husband's demand for a wine fridge, and wine rack was petty.   The kitchen had plenty of space for a wine fridge, and wine racks above it.  Ifthey remove the bottom cabinet, they could easy put a double wine fridge with racks above to hold hundreds of bottles.     I liked the third house, but I guess the couple picked the best location and price for them.   I hope they are happy in that house.  

yeah, that backsplash was really horrible

and to be surprised that there wass no wine fridge in a house? yeah, right, like that's just what most kitchens always have

• Like 5

Philadelphia

That kitchen was hideous. Purple walls, dark green cabinets and the black-gold tile backsplash looked like a snakeskin pattern. I think I know why the previous owners wanted to leave. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

The Seattle to Boston episode had terrible houses. The one she picked was ok for where she is now in life. I loved her wallpaper she was going to put in the bathroom and some of her other styles of decorating. 
This seemed like a check mark on their life list, the two friends, get on a tv show and be silly cute. And I noticed how much stuff the friend brought for a couple days and how she placed everything in the closet like she was moving in. 

She said worked for beverage company but can’t remember what she did. They both seemed perfectly nice and capable-ish professionally probably but I seriously wouldn’t want to have to talk to them everyday in a workplace. 

I kept trying to figure out if the realtor was a chef from Top Chef a few seasons ago. 

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Like 4

Nashville, man wants to buy for his daughter, 16 years-old, and a 6-year-old, he's another buyer who wants generational wealth.  Why is the 16-year-old, who will not be contributing any money, have a role to demand what she wants in a house?   She wants a car to drive to school, her own ensuite, and wants the father to buy a single family home.   In my view, those who don't pay for a house, don't get a say.     I like the tall-and-skinny townhouse he bought, #1 as usual. 

I know a lot of people, of all races, who think buying a house is a way to generational wealth.   If the Nashville house hunter qualified for the amount of mortgage he said on the show, then he's well on his way to a secure financial future, and I'm betting his kids will absorb that, and follow in his footsteps.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 7
16 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Nashville, man wants to buy for his daughter, 16 years-old, and a 6-year-old, he's another buyer who wants generational wealth.  Why is the 16-year-old, who will not be contributing any money, have a role to demand what she wants in a house?   She wants a car to drive to school, her own ensuite, and wants the father to buy a single family home.   In my view, those who don't pay for a house, don't get a say.     I like the tall-and-skinny townhouse he bought, #1 as usual. 

I figure they included the 16 year old not because she got a say in anything, but, because that is the formula for the show; there have to be 2 potential buyers who will disagree about various major points.

The girl wanted a back yard-didn't get it. She wanted an ensuite- didn't get it. She wanted a single family home-didn't get it.  Since we know they'd already purchased the home before filming, I think she was  just a producers' prop to follow the usual pattern.]

I did like the father, he seemed to have a nice rapport with her and was cute, too!

I didn't like the house they chose though, 3 stories is too many steps for everyday life and they not only didn't have a backyard, what they had was an alley with ugly construction dumpsters.  I hope when the development is completed, they clean that up and do some landscaping or something to make it look better.

Generational wealth is a hot topic in the African American community these days; the idea being that home ownership and other solid assets provide a good basis for supporting a family, educating kids and eventually passing some money along to the next generation.  All very reasonable stuff.

• Like 6

I did laugh when the Nashville guy said he wanted a tall, skinny townhouse, and then complained about all of the stairs.  

And I have to say, I'm tired of hearing the phrase "generational wealth" on this show, and it being applied only to African Americans.   

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I did laugh when the Nashville guy said he wanted a tall, skinny townhouse, and then complained about all of the stairs.  

And I have to say, I'm tired of hearing the phrase "generational wealth" on this show, and it being applied only to African Americans.   

I think it is probably producer driven like calling rooms 'tight' rather than small and referring to downtown as 'city center'.

The guy spoke about owning a home as a good investment which is a perfectly reasonable way to describe it.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Notabug said:

The guy spoke about owning a home as a good investment which is a perfectly reasonable way to describe it.

That would apply to anyone buying a home, not just to African Americans, and it's only been AA on this show that I've heard the phrase.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

That would apply to anyone buying a home, not just to African Americans, and it's only been AA on this show that I've heard the phrase.

Because generational wealth, including home ownership, has - by historical design - long been significantly more difficult for Black Americans to attain and maintain.  (Here's one short article that gives an overview and this longer article has more information if the subject interests you.)  It's a big issue within that community, as @Notabug already noted, so indeed more likely to be mentioned by/about a Black HH.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because generational wealth, including home ownership, has - by historical design - long been significantly more difficult for Black Americans to attain and maintain.  (Here's one short article that gives an overview and this longer article has more information if the subject interests you.)  It's a big issue within that community, as @Notabug already noted, so indeed more likely to be mentioned by a Black HH.

Thanks, Bastet.  I was trying to concoct a polite way of saying what I had been thinking.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because generational wealth, including home ownership, has - by historical design - long been significantly more difficult for Black Americans to attain and maintain.  

Grew up in semi-rural Indiana with no Black neighbors until the Johnson family moved close by. Remember my mom explaining that it was harder for Black people to buy nice houses, but she and my dad were happy to have another family on the block, so no doubt to me the concept of generational wealth. 

That being said, it may also be that term is just being used in HH as a another plot term like open concept, natural light, good flow, etc. 

Hubby and I watch this show to see houses and guess which one they buy- the fake drama, the quarreling partners annoy me.

• Like 2

Detroit, MI:  So nice to see an episode with someone buying in the actual city. So many great neighborhoods with beautiful brick homes.

He was an interesting dude. Gay? Working at a Catholic church? Guessing his doctorate is in theology.

Anyhoo, I didn't love any of the home choices so that was a bit disappointing. His new place seemed like a downgrade from his current home, at least in terms of space/amenities.

• Like 4