Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Nowhere To Run

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, lids said:

ChbI mean, all of this could be said about Chantel’s meeting with Nicole. Chantel was listening until Nicole started saying Pedro was too good for the marriage in a way that Chantel didn’t understand. His mistake was bringing Chantel in the first place. It’s the same thing, but people make excuses for Pedro and place way more responsibility on Chantel’s feet.

Ok, but how are we expecting Chantel to do this when Pedro hasn’t apologized either - not in a general way, not in a specific way, not in any way at all.

I also thought the whole dinner with Nicole in DR was for them to get to a point of general apologies and niceties, but Nicole came out of the gate angry and started bad mouthing their marriage so we never know if the conversation would have even gotten to the apology stage.

Pedro knew they would be like this in the first place because we had that scene in the DR apartment where he told his family she was coming and they were outraged. He could have warned Chantel about that if she was supposed to have warned Pedro before chickendinnergate.

No, we just learned this from the Larissa arrest. The person who puts their hands on the other person is the one who gets arrested. I will say if two people are beating each other up, they may both be arrested. Provocation is not cause to assault.

I just don’t expect Chantel to be perfect. I weigh her behaviors and intelligence against the other parties and she seems just as dumb and makes the same mistakes as everyone else. She also seems to have to pay for the sins of her whole entire family whereas I don’t see people blame the behavior of Lidia and Nicole on Pedro. It feels uneven to me, especially now when Chantel appears to be trying. She at least shows up for these wacky confrontations with FamilyPedro. Pedro will neither speak to nor be in the same room with FamilyChantel. And maybe that is for the best. Pedro needs to stop pushing her to spend time with his family. I want restraining orders all around.

Then she should have stayed in Atlanta like he told her.  

Pedro does not go to her parents house or see them. Chantel lives in Atlanta, Pedro’s family in the DR. Chantel shows up in the DR ostensibly to work on her marriage. Pedro says fine, the first step to working on the marriage is to fix things with the family. The only family in the DR is his so that’s where they start. 

If Chantel didn’t want to meet with his family, she should have said no. She has no problem saying no all the rest of the time.  And then she could have gone home. 

I’m not saying Pedro’s family isn’t a part of the problem. And yes they have behaved badly. But they don’t accuse Chantel of far fetched and unfounded theories or shady behaviors. They say that his family thinks they are “better” than they are. And that Chantel doesn’t “deserve”Pedro.

To me it all boils down to do they want to stay married, be happy and have at least a cordial if not pleasant relationship with each other’s family. 

If so then SOMEONE has to take the high road and do something. Pedro is trying. He had a big argument with his mom and sister when he told them that Chantel was coming. He told them that he wants his family to be different than hers, to forgive and move forward. He’s not giving them a pass. 

No one in this is perfect or totally innocent. But if no one is willing to bend they are done. 

I see Pedro bending, I don’t see Chantel making much effort.  

• Love 12

River’s action of throwing the lamp, or whatever it was, was an assault. It is an independent action that can result in criminal charges. How Pedro reacted does not lessen River’s own act. Had Pedro turned and walked away, River would still be considered to have committed an assault. River’s action doesn’t stop being an assault because of how Pedro reacted to it or because River isn’t a good fighter. The law doesn’t work that way. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, Adeejay said:

Chantel is not in any danger.  After all, she is being followed by a camera crew. 

I have to admit -- I thought the same thing myself for a hot minute (especially with all the random/mysterious murders taking place "in the DR" recently). But then I remembered, oh yeah -- camera crew. But that didn't keep Karine from being mugged (and wasn't Paul shot at?) in Brazil.

Edited by ChiMama
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, RealReality said:

I look at that family and I don't know where they get their sense of superiority

Are we sure the talk of a spin off of this family isn't an urban legend?

I know its TLC and we have empowered them by watching all of their slice of strange, but a show with these guys?

I think they peaked with the family dinner fight. None of them are interesting, humorous or nice people. 

I would consider watching a half hour of Pops Chantel blankly staring at the camera for a half hour, as I wind down before retiring for the night. TLC version of the tv fireplace. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, itsadryheat said:

I know its TLC and we have empowered them by watching all of their slice of strange, but a show with these guys?

I think they peaked with the family dinner fight. None of them are interesting, humorous or nice people. 

I would consider watching a half hour of Pops Chantel blankly staring at the camera for a half hour, as I wind down before retiring for the night. TLC version of the tv fireplace. 

That reminds me of the television showing burning logs in Jesse's apartment and he traipsed about in his thigh high silken robe....memories.....

I wont be watching family Chantal but i sincerely look forward to reading the snark!

• LOL 2
37 minutes ago, RealReality said:

That reminds me of the television showing burning logs in Jesse's apartment and he traipsed about in his thigh high silken robe....memories.....

I wont be watching family Chantal but i sincerely look forward to reading the snark!

@RealReality thanks for the memories....

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ChiMama said:

But then I remembered, oh yeah -- camera crew. But that didn't keep Karine from being mugged (and wasn't Paul from shot at?) in Brazil.

I firmly believe that mugging was totally set up by production for dramatic purposes (although Karine might not have been aware that it was fake)

• Love 2

The fight scene video cuts off before they show the truly innocent victim of the fight, that pan of food that Pedro kicked off the table. I forget what it was, can anyone refresh my memory? 

• LOL 2
4 minutes ago, magemaud said:

The fight scene video cuts off before they show the truly innocent victim of the fight, that pan of food that Pedro kicked off the table. I forget what it was, can anyone refresh my memory? 

Wasn’t it fried chicken from Publix?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Spike said:

Maybe, that’s definitely what Father Chantel is shown chomping on as the fight begins, but I was thinking it was something sadder looking, like cole slaw 

• LOL 2
25 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Maybe, that’s definitely what Father Chantel is shown chomping on as the fight begins, but I was thinking it was something sadder looking, like cole slaw 

Good!  Nice  and messy for Mama Chantel to clean up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

Behold!

12 hours ago, Spike said:

Listen, I can cook fried chicken, but quite frankly, it's hot and messy and Publix makes good chicken.  Don't pass it off as a family recipe, but I'm not gonna side-eye anyone for serving it. 

• Love 3

She also had a midwife and a couple of doulas so it's really not dangerous at all. They are smart and have some kind of training.

Your sister's might have had good training but at least in the U.S. pretty much anyone can hang out a shingle and refer to themselves as a midwife or a doula or a "birth educator." Nurse Midwife is a certification and requires (I think) at least an RN and special training but you really have to investigate the background of people doing that type of work.

I have seen many people mention River called Pedro the N word repeatedly.  Is this shown in the video? 

I have a feeling it is when River first stands up - is he saying "shut up N" over & over?  Cuz, that paired with the ikea lamp incident would certainly cause many people I know to fly over a table and beat ass.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Kroliosis said:

I have seen many people mention River called Pedro the N word repeatedly.  Is this shown in the video? 

Supposedly that's what River was saying when Pedro said "what you say to me?" and River stood up and his lips were blurred out right before he swatted the lamp in Pedro’s direction 

Edited by magemaud
Edited for clarity
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Kroliosis said:

I have a feeling it is when River first stands up - is he saying "shut up N" over & over?  Cuz, that paired with the ikea lamp incident would certainly cause many people I know to fly over a table and beat ass.

I just rewatched the fight video.  When I rewatch something after reading various opinions, I try to do it with a clear mind, willing to be persuaded and ready to admit if I am wrong.

From the minute Pedro and Nicole enter the house, Nicole is very polite to everyone.  "Dinner is good."  "You look nice."  "This is mui bueno."  "I am glad you invited us."  She even attempted to kiss Mama Chantal, and was greeted with a very definite arm, holding her away.
And the talking head of Chantal has her saying, "Nicole is just being SO fake."

Out of a clear blue sky, Mama Chantal - in her normal passive/aggressive manner - asks "How are things at the apartemente?"  Nicole looks confused as to the question and says, "Good.  Very good.  I am very happy."  Then Mama ups the ante and confronts Nicole about the report that she said, "Good" and clapped her hands when Chantal left.  Pedro questions Nicole as to why she would talk about that with her family.  As the argument gets more heated, Pedro ASKS Chantal and Nicole to change seats, and Mama says, "No, they are NOT going to change seats."

Then River stands up and says something.  I'm assuming that every time there is a blank spot in the audio (and there are several), he is calling Pedro the "N" word (it's pretty obvious from reading lips, too). That's what sets Pedro off.  He yells, "What you say to me?" a couple of times, then River repeats himself and swats the light fixture at Pedro.  Then he pays for that lapse in judgment when Pedro comes around the table and goes after him.

I have not changed my mind, although I was open to do so.  The Family Chantal started it.  

What I've never figured out is this:  After the film crew broke up the fight and Nicole (minus her weave) and Pedro left, why does Mama Chantal look at the camera and say (over-enunciating as only she can do), "Nicole y Pedro son muy malos para nuestra familia."

All of the Spanish-speaking people had already left the building!!!

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Spike said:

River might want to look in the mirror.  Or does he get off on having lighter skin?

I had heard that he called Pedro the n word, but since I hadn't heard it I kinda let it go.  

Of course Shaun didnt ask about it at the reunion because I'd sure like to hear that explanation.  

And whether river is out in the streets angrily calling anyone the n word, or if he just saves that for when he can hide behind daddy?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, RealReality said:

I had heard that he called Pedro the n word, but since I hadn't heard it I kinda let it go.  

Of course Shaun didnt ask about it at the reunion because I'd sure like to hear that explanation.  

And whether river is out in the streets angrily calling anyone the n word, or if he just saves that for when he can hide behind daddy?

Click on the link in my post above.  Read River's lips. Pretty obvious,  IMHO.

I don't think he was trying to hide behind his father.  He was backing up so fast, he may have been trying to get behind his mother.  She's tougher.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Though it is a long time ago I saw the first Pedro - Chantel season I think there were issues between both families long before filming started (even if Chantel didn't inteoduce Pedro as boyfriend).

Lydia's remark about 'stupid Americans' didn't come out of blue air I think. I suspect the family Chantel showed from the beginning their disgust for Pedro (and his family). Feeling themselves better and higher in rank than that "poor, 3rd world country" family that is Pedro's. If this is feeded by racism or only social racism / arrogance I don't dare to say.

It is just the feeling and thoughts I have about it, nothing confirmed here. 🙂

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DutchbutnoJesse said:

Lydia's remark about 'stupid Americans' didn't come out of blue air I think. I suspect the family Chantel showed from the beginning their disgust for Pedro (and his family). Feeling themselves better and higher in rank than that "poor, 3rd world country" family that is Pedro's. If this is feeded by racism or only social racism / arrogance I don't dare to say.

I'm pretty sure the "stupid Americans" came after Pedro told his mother about the pre-nup.  Since all of us logical people are assuming that Chantel wouldn't be doing this shit show if she was actually sitting on a sack of money his family insisting on a pre-nup does come across as rather insulting to Pedro.  It implies that he is ONLY after money and will contribute nothing to their marriage.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

I'm pretty sure the "stupid Americans" came after Pedro told his mother about the pre-nup.  Since all of us logical people are assuming that Chantel wouldn't be doing this shit show if she was actually sitting on a sack of money his family insisting on a pre-nup does come across as rather insulting to Pedro.  It implies that he is ONLY after money and will contribute nothing to their marriage.

This makes me wonder....why do some of the couples participate in this humiliating show? I can understand Nicole and Azan because it's likely their bread and butter, but most of the others seem to be more financially stable. What exactly is the incentive to embarrass yourself to the entire world if you don't need the money provided to you by production?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Hannah94 said:

This makes me wonder....why do some of the couples participate in this humiliating show? I can understand Nicole and Azan because it's likely their bread and butter, but most of the others seem to be more financially stable. What exactly is the incentive to embarrass yourself to the entire world if you don't need the money provided to you by production?

Good question but some people love attention and / or fame.

2 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

It implies that he is ONLY after money and will contribute nothing to their marriage.

That I don't buy. In the first season there was real love. And even now I see still some sparks.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, DutchbutnoJesse said:

Good question but some people love attention and / or fame.

That I don't buy. In the first season there was real love. And even now I see still some sparks.

I also think people generally think they are going to be better loved than they actually are.  I think I'm a funny and reasonably cool person, and I gotta be real...sometimes I crack myself up!

But I'm sure I'd either be boring or universally despised if I were on a reality show!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

I also think people generally think they are going to be better loved than they actually are.  I think I'm a funny and reasonably cool person, and I gotta be real...sometimes I crack myself up!

But I'm sure I'd either be boring or universally despised if I were on a reality show!

Well, you need to be special if you are on one of these shows. I am glad the most of us are 'boring or universally despised'. If not, we were all idiots like Chantel or Coltee and there would be no use to produce shitty programs like this.

By the way: I had a nightmare that they will air a spin-off of the family Chantel. Woke up covered in sweat. Please, someone tells me this is not true..

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/17/2019 at 10:55 PM, iwasish said:

One thing that confuses me.. if the family Pedro setup Chantel as her family as claimed, why are they not being super nice to her to keep the con going?  If they went to all that trouble to reel her in and convince her  Pedro loves her, why do everything they can now to make her miserable and risk her trying to get him deported?! There are still American dollars to harvest.

Her friend Obed, who used to be great friends with Pedro's family at one time, claimed Pedro's mother was in some sort of business fixing people up with U.S. citizens, so if that's true, they probably figure it will be easy to find someone else.

Edited by renatae
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/18/2019 at 9:43 AM, AZChristian said:

I used to watch "A Baby Story" on TLC daytime.  The women who were most determined to have a magical experience (like the spa day that Pao seems to think it will be with soft lights and candles) were usually the first ones screaming for an epidural.

I've attended plenty of natural childbirths, which were the norm for quite a while before the advent of the epidural. Most of the moms did well. But I will never forget the poor young mom looking at me with fright in her eyes who told me her childbirth educators told her it would not hurt!

Midwives and home births are not so awful. There must be no known complications and prenatal care is done by an obstetrician who approves the home birth, and who will be attending her if an emergency arises. To enroll in a midwifery program (which generally takes about 3 years) one must first have a BSN and usually an MSN. I've known many mothers who have gone this route and am surprised no one here seems to even know anyone who has done so. Midwives are usually much more attuned to their patients than OBs.

As for Pao, well, you are probably all correct, lol. And her midwife is, well, unusual. 😁

Edited by renatae
  • Love 6
On 6/19/2019 at 3:03 PM, iwasish said:

Then she should have stayed in Atlanta like he told her.  

Pedro does not go to her parents house or see them. Chantel lives in Atlanta, Pedro’s family in the DR . Chantel shows up in the DR ostensibly to work on her marriage. Pedro says fine, the first step to working on the marriage is to fix things with the family. The only family in the DR is his so that’s where they start. 

If Chantel didn’t want to meet with his family, she should have said no. She has no problem saying no all the rest of the time.  And then she could have gone home. 

I’m not saying Pedro’s family isn’t a part of the problem. And yes they have behaved badly. But they don’t accuse Chantel of far fetched and unfounded theories or shady behaviors. They say that his family thinks they are “better” than they are. And that Chantel doesn’t “deserve”Pedro.

To me it all boils down to do they want to stay married, be happy and have at least a cordial if not pleasant relationship with each other’s family. 

If so then SOMEONE has to take the high road and do something. Pedro is trying. He had a big argument with his mom and sister when he told them that Chantel was coming. He told them that he wants his family to be different than hers, to forgive and move forward. He’s not giving them a pass. 

No one in this is perfect or totally innocent. But if no one is willing to bend they are done. 

I see Pedro bending, I don’t see Chantel making much effort.  

IIRC, when Chantal landed, she said she wanted to stay at a hotel. I believe it was her desire avoid his family and try to discern his intentions, which was what I believe she meant when she said "I came here for you." He insisted she have a talk with his mother, to which she acceded, to please him. Same with his sister. Citing how poorly it went with his mother, she really balked at talking with Nicole, but again acceded. I see this as effort on her part, especially as he has (understandably) refused to see her family AT ALL. He insisted she meet with his family even though he was unwilling to meet with hers.

She could have made a better effort, but so could have his sister and mother. However, she did tell his mother that the fiasco was partly her family's fault, but that Pedro wasn't entirely innocent, either. While I wouldn't necessarily call it an apology, it was at least a step in the right direction, and Chantel was the one who made it.

Because he left her via one way ticket, essentially telling her "I'll be back when I get back" I think she definitely had reason for concern for her marriage and to try to reconcile with him.

While he brought her flowers at the airport, his expression was the same sourpuss he's worn for her for the last several months. He didn't willingly embrace her, and when he did, his expression never changed. He says he loves her, but he needs to notify his face, as I've not seen him relent once. He scolds her for coming, and says he only wants to be with his family.

I applaud him for telling his family, "She is my wife!" when they wanted to freeze her out. The problem is he never speaks any of these things to her and his face never shows her any tenderness whatsoever. Ultimately, he walks out the door without a hug, kiss, nor any sort of encouragement, basically telling her she can do whatever she wants, while intimating that he won't be doing anything with her, just with his family. I think her hurt is apparent. She still has not been told when, if ever, he will spend any time with her nor when or if he plans to return to the U.S. This is the way someone who loves his wife treats her? It's as though he plans to spend eternity punishing her for something that, egregious as it was, was months earlier, as far as I can tell.

At this point, as far as can remember, Chantel is not asking for an apology from him, just to feel he is in her corner, and some time spent working on their relationship.

As you said, it would be wonderful if someone, anyone, would take the high road, but none are willing. They both need to make each other the priority. Once they manage that, they can try to straighten out the family issues, which in this case seems to be to try to have cordial but infrequent interactions as both their families are heinous.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem this will ever happen.

• Love 5
(edited)
38 minutes ago, renatae said:

IIRC, when Chantal landed, she said she wanted to stay at a hotel. I believe it was her desire avoid his family and try to discern his intentions, which was what I believe she meant when she said "I came here for you." He insisted she have a talk with his mother, to which she acceded, to please him. Same with his sister. Citing how poorly it went with his mother, she really balked at talking with Nicole, but again acceded. I see this as effort on her part, especially as he has (understandably) refused to see her family AT ALL. He insisted she meet with his family even though he was unwilling to meet with hers.

She could have made a better effort, but so could have his sister and mother. However, she did tell his mother that the fiasco was partly her family's fault, but that Pedro wasn't entirely innocent, either. While I wouldn't necessarily call it an apology, it was at least a step in the right direction, and Chantel was the one who made it.

Because he left her via one way ticket, essentially telling her "I'll be back when I get back" I think she definitely had reason for concern for her marriage and to try to reconcile with him.

While he brought her flowers at the airport, his expression was the same sourpuss he's worn for her for the last several months. He didn't willingly embrace her, and when he did, his expression never changed. He says he loves her, but he needs to notify his face, as I've not seen him relent once. He scolds her for coming, and says he only wants to be with his family.

I applaud him for telling his family, "She is my wife!" when they wanted to freeze her out. The problem is he never speaks any of these things to her and his face never shows her any tenderness whatsoever. Ultimately, he walks out the door without a hug, kiss, nor any sort of encouragement, basically telling her she can do whatever she wants, while intimating that he won't be doing anything with her, just with his family. I think her hurt is apparent. She still has not been told when, if ever, he will spend any time with her nor when or if he plans to return to the U.S. This is the way someone who loves his wife treats her? It's as though he plans to spend eternity punishing her for something that, egregious as it was, was months earlier, as far as I can tell.

At this point, as far as can remember, Chantel is not asking for an apology from him, just to feel he is in her corner, and some time spent working on their relationship.

As you said, it would be wonderful if someone, anyone, would take the high road, but none are willing. They both need to make each other the priority. Once they manage that, they can try to straighten out the family issues, which in this case seems to be to try to have cordial but infrequent interactions as both their families are heinous.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem this will ever happen.

If she wanted to invest time and energy to be there for Pedro, she has had plenty of time to do that in the United States.  She has steadfastly refused to do so. 

And her efforts at "working it out" with Pedro have been the same things she does in the US, talk over him , blame him for everything and demand he spend time with no one but her and her family.  And just smile and take it when they shit all over him.

Because when do you think was the last time Pedro felt Chantal was in his corner?  

Instead she is "showing up for him" in the one place he begged her not to come to because of the how much weirdness and friction there would be.

And this is what I think he meant when he said "if you want to work it out with my family then come back and talk, if you just want to work it out with me wait for me in Atlanta". Which means that even when Chantal is unwilling to bend an inch and just apologize for the dinner going south, he is STILL open to working it out with her. The only thing difference between working it out with Pedro in the United States be the DR is that Pedro's family is in the DR.  If she just wanted to work it out with him she had plenty of time to do so.  

If she wanted to know his intentions on coming home she could have just asked him over the phone and if that didn't work, threaten to come to the DR if he wasn't home in a week.  I guarantee you Pedro would have booked his flight home rather than have Chantal there.

And of course Chantal needs him home so she can make him miserable and try to force him around her family for....reasons?

It's like she put herself in this weird situation where she was interrupting her husband's time with his family, and then she didn't want to see his family.  I think Chantal knew Lidia would want to see her and she was hoping that Pedro could ask so that she could claim some high ground when he comes back the United States and she wants him to be around her trash family again so they can shit on him.

And Chantal's admission that her family did something was followed immediately by blaming Pedro for finger pointing across the table?  I don't even think Chantal even realized what she said may have been construed as an admission that her family wasn't blameless.

If Pedro is cold, it's been after months and months of being shit on and blamed for a fight he didn't start and being forced around people who shit on him while he has to suck it up.  Chantal made that bed and I don't think she much likes sleeping in it.

I don't think Pedro's attitude comes from a place of punishment, I think he is just genuinely checked out.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 9
On 6/20/2019 at 4:21 PM, AZChristian said:

Then River stands up and says something.  I'm assuming that every time there is a blank spot in the audio (and there are several), he is calling Pedro the "N" word (it's pretty obvious from reading lips, too). That's what sets Pedro off.  He yells, "What you say to me?" a couple of times, then River repeats himself and swats the light fixture at Pedro.  Then he pays for that lapse in judgment when Pedro comes around the table and goes after him. 

This makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm completely clueless, but isn't Family Chantel black or mixed race?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Hannah94 said:

It’s got to be the fame, z listers are where it’s at. Just ask Jesse.

• LOL 2
27 minutes ago, renatae said:

This makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm completely clueless, but isn't Family Chantel black or mixed race?

Please don't try to make sense about ANYTHING these nitwits do.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, renatae said:

I've attended plenty of natural childbirths, which were the norm for quite a while before the advent of the epidural. Most of the moms did well. But I will never forget the poor young mom looking at me with fright in her eyes who told me her childbirth educators told her it would not hurt!

Midwives and home births are not so awful. There must be no known complications and prenatal care is done by an obstetrician who approves the home birth, and who will be attending her if an emergency arises. To enroll in a midwifery program (which generally takes about 3 years) one must first have a BSN and usually an MSN. I've known many mothers who have gone this route and am surprised no one here seems to even know anyone who has done so. Midwives are usually much more attuned to their patients than OBs.

As for Pao, well, you are probably all correct, lol. And her midwife is, well, unusual. 😁

I was born at home.

Ok. It was the 70s and hippie time. :). In Thosee times it was a fasion here and had a rate iver 50%. I dont know what is preferred now. Bit quick check on google learns that it is now only 13%. Midwifes can give an injection with sterile water though but no strong painkillers. And it seems that 50 % of the women needs to go to the hospital anyway during labor.

Well, I came out perfectly normal. At least that is what my alien abductors are telling me....

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Pao is so obnoxious. She can’t wait to see her mom, probably thinking mom will be on her side against Russ in any argument. As soon as mom expresses any disagreement with Pao, suddenly Pao feels unsupported and alone. Her mom had six kids, her opinion has weight, but Pao knows best.  

• Love 9
On 6/21/2019 at 6:54 AM, DutchbutnoJesse said:

Though it is a long time ago I saw the first Pedro - Chantel season I think there were issues between both families long before filming started (even if Chantel didn't inteoduce Pedro as boyfriend).

It is just the feeling and thoughts I have about it, nothing confirmed here. 🙂

Remember, Family Chantel insisted on a pre-nuptial agreement before Chantel married Pedro.  We don't know the contents of that presumably legal document, and that may be why Lidia, supposedly a lawyer, called Chantel's family stupid.

I also wonder if all the concern about Pedro starting a business in the DR, using I presume assets from his work/his marriage to Chantel is voided because of that pre-nup?

On 6/19/2019 at 10:05 PM, iwasish said:

Good!  Nice  and messy for Mama Chantel to clean up.

Hahahahaha! As if Mama Chantel lifted one be-ringed finger. I'm sure that task was given to Winter. Mama Chantel had to tend to River's injuries. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, DutchbutnoJesse said:

I was born at home.

Ok. It was the 70s and hippie time. :). In Thosee times it was a fasion here and had a rate iver 50%. I dont know what is preferred now. Bit quick check on google learns that it is now only 13%. Midwifes can give an injection with sterile water though but no strong painkillers. And it seems that 50 % of the women needs to go to the hospital anyway during labor.

Well, I came out perfectly normal. At least that is what my alien abductors are telling me....

I think you came out fine! 😊

Here in the States, midwives can provide medication, and most attend deliveries in hospitals, not at home, although they certainly do that as well.

Here's a good reference for the state of midwifery in the U.S. and the requirements they must meet:

http://ourmomentoftruth.com/midwifery-care/midwifery-myths-set-straight/

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, renatae said:

Here in the States, midwives can provide medication, and most attend deliveries in hospitals, not at home, although they certainly do that as well.

I am not knocking midwives, I think for many women they provide an option.  For me, my baby was very large (11 lbs) and I need an episiotomy.  I wanted to be in a hospital.  That was my choice.  I wanted to be safe.

Pao wanted to be on tv.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
51 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I am not knocking midwives, I think for many women they provide an option.  For me, my baby was very large (11 lbs) and I need an episiotomy.  I wanted to be in a hospital.  That was my choice.  I wanted to be safe.

Pao wanted to be on tv.

She was four centimeters dilated and moaning and groaning as if she was seconds from delivery. My mom had 8 kids and said that you could be 4 centimeters dilated for a long time. She said the contractions at that stage are uncomfortable but it’s better to walk around and stay occupied than concentrating on them. My sister is in the Navy and they wouldn’t even admit her to the hospital at 5 centimeters. She and her husband went to a nearby Walmart and shopped for baby stuff for a couple hours and then just hung out in the lobby of the hospital till they checked her and said ok. My niece was born 3 hrs later. 

Pao is just milking this for all it’s worth. I can’t wait till she starts screaming and the neighbors emerge from their houses to investigate. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, butterbody said:

But if you already have a history of miscarriage and blood problems, it seems irresponsible to not go to a hospital.

See, I feel like this is the way I'd feel in pao's position.  Like the idea that we can go to the hospital in the event of an emergency doesn't seem as comforting as "here we are at the hospital in the event of an emergency"

• Love 1

Even though she had a very early miscarriage and possible RH incompatibility, I don't think Pao's pregnancy is considered high risk. If it was, the obstetrician would have insisted she have a hospital birth or at the very least at a birthing center where they're equipped to handle difficult deliveries. 

• Love 5