Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: The Opposite of Hallelujah

Nolan's desperate search for Irisa yields vital information which takes him south; back in Defiance, the Earth Republic has installed Mayor Pottinger, a charming, calculating and ambitious man who takes control.

I liked it.

Except, Amanda's a drunken drug addict pimp (excuse me, 'Madam') who's being peeped on by Mayor Perv?  Ugh.  And how long has this gone on?  Double ugh.  I hope she finds out at some point (preferably when he can't use his knowledge of her drug use to his advantage) and gets her sweet, sweet revenge.   And since she has yet to find out about Kenya (RIP), I'm afraid she won't be a functioning addict for much longer.  

Nice to see the true Stahma come out from the shadows and 98% own her bitchery and badassery.  She's not all the way there yet, but it was satisfying nonetheless.

And Datak.  My kingdom for a handjob, amirite?  Anybody's hand will do!  Stahma looked simultaneously bored and disgusted to oblige him.  Heh.  Too bad he'll probably escape before the next 'family visit,' because it'd be a hoot to see Stahma get a special day-rate for one of KenyAmanda's girls, dress her up as a Stahma lookalike, and let her take care of that business.

I'm not as interested by the Irisa/Nolan plot line so far and, as with last season, wouldn't miss Rafe.

How in the hell can they air this show at 7pm?

This was a pretty good show last season, but if this episode is an indication of things to come, this is going to be a great season. I liked the continued world building. I liked "Angel Arc", I liked the evil perv mayor, and I especially liked Stahma coming into her own. Datak is going to be in for a big surprise when he finally gets back home. Although with Stahma's admission that she's the one who opened the airlock door on the ship to get out of her arranged marriage, his surprise might be short lived.

I love Nolan and Irisa. Their relationship is one of my favorite  things about Defiance. I'm glad they didn't drag their reunion out over several episodes. I'm also excited to get into the story of what's happening to Irisa. I loved the moment last season when she fell into that machine.

Last season, I had a hard time believing that some of the people responsible for making Farscape where involved in this; but with this episode, I'm starting to see some of their fingerprints.

• Love 2

Well, it looks like Alak's DJ-ing days are over.  Who will spin the records in the Ark, now?

It took me a few minutes to settle and remember everything that happened last season, but once I got past that, I got into it for the most part.  Love Stahma making herself the new kingpin (or would that be queenpin?), now that Datak is gone, and using Alak has her voice.  Yeah, Alak, I'd wouldn't try refusing her, at this point in the game.  I don't think she'll harm you, but she strikes me as someone who will have no issues harming Christie, to make you get in line.  Ruthless Stahma is scary, but awesome.  And sexy. Jaime Murray continues to be one of the sexiest aliens ever.

Sucks to be Datak right now, but I love the idea of him and Dr. Yewll (my favorite!) together and pulling off a potential prison break! Bad news for Datak is, even if it works, I don't see many handjobs for him in the future.

Glad Nolan and Irisa are already reunited and heading back to Defiance.  Really like the way Grant Bowler and Stephanie Leondias interact with each other.  But... apparently, something is happening that is making Irisa randomly kill people?  And she's still seeing that little girl in her head?  This can't be good.

Only think I wasn't wild about is the stuff with Amanda, but maybe that will pick up.  It sounds like she is keeping her eye out for Kenya, so I can see that being problematic for Stahma.  Plus, this new mayor and working for him.

Well, actually, I did forget all about Rafe, almost.  I guess they are using him to go against the E-reps.  Eh.

• Love 2

Awesome show is awesome. I really missed this show while it was gone. I'm too much of trekkie to subsist on "realistic" scifi. I enjoy Orphan Black and The Walking Dead but nothing beats the transportive effect you get from shows that take the whole new world idea to the next level.Skiffy is really sinking the money into this one buliding the Angeles Arc couldn't have been cheap.

Stahma is awesome and kicking it up a notch. I'm surprised how much I liked Alak in this. They managed to show why he is completely ill-suited to take his fathers place without him coming off as a douche or an idiot.

Nolan and Irisa are made of win. I love these two so much.

Amanda is going to a dark place but given how much of last season she spent giving speeches from on high she kinda needed to be taken down a notch. Drugs was a bit of surprise though she so much about control something that destructive seems a little OOC.

So Tommy is Jammer? I hope Nolan and Irisa can snap him out of it.

I laughed when the kids flat out called the E-rep Nazi's. This show is certainly not afraid of the fact that its derivative, something I have to give it credit for. Although I think British imperial troops is probably more the historical parallel  the show is going for.

First, I apologize for my ignorance. Is the funeral for the dead miner a funeral of a real-life religion? I am just wondering if human being religious beliefs changed because of alien invasion.

It sounded a lot like Hebrew to me or possible bad Russian. I could see though given the upheaval that's gone on and the fact that the old world is effectively gone new religions based on a blend of the old faith and the new aliens one could spring up . That or the priest was giving the new equivalent of an inter-denominational service.

• Love 2

Oh, just remembered something.  This exchange:

Amanda:  You know when Kenya comes back she may need to find another job.

Stahma:  I say this as a friend... 

(me: Oh no she won't.) 

Stahma:  ...You need to prepare yourself for the fact that she's not coming back.

(me:  omg that woman has all of the balls)

Yeah, as for the religions of the future don't forget there's even room for the crazy cultists, as evidenced by those sadists that surround/ed Irisa.

• Love 1
(edited)

I have been so excited for the return of Defiance and this opener did not disappoint. The showrunner said it would be darker and edgier, and so it is. They did a great job of quickly bringing us up to speed on how our people have been faring for the last nine months. I like how they're opening up the world of Defiance with new cities and landscapes. As always, I need repeat viewings to catch the wealth of details in clothes, decor, signage and devices.

Stahma's visit to Datak in prison was jaw-droppingly funny. Something tells me she's not doing any follow-up with Datak's lawyer about that petition to the Votan Collective. She'll probably also be arranging human adrenaline collection for the Blue Devil, despite what Alak says. I wonder what the narcotic was that she gave to Amanda. If Amanda is addicted, I think we can thank Stahma for introducing her to it -- "to help out a friend."

The miner's accident was horrible, and Rafe --one of my favorites -- showed why he is one of the moral centers of the show. He, more than anyone else, represents us, someone who remembers full well what life was like on Earth before the Votans and the terraforming. He is the man who knows what was lost and is trying, against all odds, to preserve whatever might be left of the old Earth. BTW, I think the funeral was supposed to be the miner's friends trying as best they could to give him a Jewish funeral service, reading in Hebrew with some difficulty.

I'm also happy that they didn't delay in having Nolan find Irisa. And I don't blame Nolan one bit for shooting the creepy ex-priest Daigo point-blank.

Poor Irisa. She's so close to the edge even at the best of times, and this "become" shit and the phantom imp-child will drive her over the edge. I thought I caught a glimpse of Sukar in the preview; I hope he'll be able to help her.

I can't forget to mention Datak and his perpetual needs. Stahma's hand-job interruptus was hilarious enough. Grabbing Doc Yewll for relief was priceless. "You want me to check for lumps?" Datak gold. Yewll platinum.

The new mayor is another creep. His broadcast with the fake library backdrop was telling. I look forward to his downfall.

Edited by BungalowSummer
(edited)

Was I the only one creeped out by Stalma discussing her SON while giving her husband a hand job???? I still love Stalma though, "I am once again forced to open the airlock door myself". Alak needs to listen to his mother who has always been the brains of the family.

Camp Revelry is truly a disgusting place, throwing the prisoners food to fight over like dogs in a pit? Why is Doc Ywell there? She is one of my favorite characters.

Raife is far more powerful than the new E-Rep mayor could've ever guessed. Yes he can keep control of the miners, but he is smart, he knows how to bide his time until it's optimum to strike and take those fuckers down.

Ps post pale wars country music is AWESOME!

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 4

I liked this premiere. I have no idea what is going on with Irisa, but I am a fan of the Nolan/Irisa father/daughter relationship. Good to see Rafe standing strong.

Stahma giving Datak i the hand job through the fence was funny and gross at the same time. The doctor looked bored and disgusted when he grabbed her hand for the hand job. I wish she had punched him though.

I hope that in the end Amanda gets to take out Stahma.

(edited)

Cletus Musashi: Yes she has.

I wonder if the drug Stahma gave her is the same one Stahma was using in the bath?  They seemed to have similar effects and  different species might metabolize it different ways.

Scarlet45:  Yewll probably there because they think she might prove useful later on but she isn't being cooperative enough to justify a gentler imprisonment.

SimoneS:  Nah, Yewl''s wit is a deadlier weapon than her fists could ever be.  My question is why isn't Datak dead?  he killed a colonel in the occupying force but all he gets is ten years?

Edited by tricksterson

I liked this premiere. I have no idea what is going on with Irisa, but I am a fan of the Nolan/Irisa father/daughter relationship. Good to see Rafe standing strong.

Stahma giving Datak i the hand job through the fence was funny and gross at the same time. The doctor looked bored and disgusted when he grabbed her hand for the hand job. I wish she had punched him though.

I hope that in the end Amanda gets to take out Stahma.

Especially while talking about their son with an infatuated look on her face. 

Ugh, this show. I want to like it, but I was hoping they'd tweak things a bit in the new season, guess not. They obviously have a very clear vision and are going to stick with it; unfortunately the vision doesn't interest me much. I basically only pay attention when Stahma or Amanda are on screen. Irisa is interesting to look at, but she's more of a cliche than a person so far. And I literally cannot remember the lead character's name. 

I have now reached the conclusion that the time jump to get out of honestly resolving the cliffhangers is a sure sign of hackery. 

Trying to get past the initial failure, Stahma wants to ditch Datak. She's got Alak's number but does she have Christy's? She doesn't seem to realize she's modeling a Castithan marriage for daughter-in-law. 

Julie Benz as druggie? Since she had to fill an empty spot at a whorehouse I should hope so. Having just one unpleasant man screwing her as "advisor" will be a step up. 

Nolan should have noticed that Irisa is plenty old enough to go out on her own. I'm not sure the show understands they've put an incest motif into the characterizations? 

• Love 1

Well Irisa sure grew up in only 9 months.  I did like seeing the Angel Arc scenes, but they should know it is really quite a distance between the Capital Records/Gromans Chinese Theater area and the Getty Museum.  But at least they can avoid the 405 (ba dum bum).

I did like Stahma owning her control of the family and Datak's empire, even if she uses Alak as a front sometimes.  She's clearly tired of having to rely on men.  A bit surprised to see Amanda already turning to drugs, especially since she still thinks Kenya is alive.  What's with the black veil?  And seriously, she doesn't notice the camera?

Stahma is the best character in this show.  I love her coming into her own.  I think when her husband shows up, she will be show him who is boss.  It will be delicious.

I've been playing the game since the last season and I was happy for all the game shoutouts.  Varus (the guy with the walrus beard) is a big character in the game.  And I was way too excited about the hellbug.  I appreciate the tie ins to the game. 

Stahma using plain talk & relling her son how she would be running things was made of awesome.

I'm not a fan of Julie Benz or Amanda. I typically tune out her storylines. Excluding the black veil, I did like her outfit.

I have no clue where they are going with Irisa's story. I'm still intrigued but I haven't

been able to put things together in order to make sense of it.

I love that this show can make me go eeewwww & genuinely laugh

First, I apologize for my ignorance. Is the funeral for the dead miner a funeral of a real-life religion? I am just wondering if human being religious beliefs changed because of alien invasion.

It was Hebrew. That was actually really cool for me.  I was looking away from the screen and had heard like 3 different alien languages in the hour. Then I recognized what I thought was an "alien" language and had to switch from holy shit I'm Votan to yay Hebrew survives another millennia. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I want to like the show, but to me that season opener was a bit disjointed. We saw Irisa fall into the "weapon" so how did she get out to go to LA? And why did tracker Nolan go to LA via Chicago? And how long did that journey take? Seemed like 10 minutes in story time to go 2,000 miles or so. I like Walter Peck (William Atherton), and I like that he's a bit quieter here than in Ghostbusters, but meh on the mayor storyline for now.

Answering something upthread, Doc Ewell did all sorts of mean things in the war. They mentioned it several times last year. The ERep also knows she helped Irisa break out. The Doc is one of my favorite characters in the show, but I understand why they imprisoned her.

Edited by QuiGonJ

Was I the only one creeped out by Stalma discussing her SON while giving her husband a hand job???? I still love Stalma though, "I am once again forced to open the airlock door myself". Alak needs to listen to his mother who has always been the brains of the family.

Camp Revelry is truly a disgusting place, throwing the prisoners food to fight over like dogs in a pit? Why is Doc Ywell there? She is one of my favorite characters.

Raife is far more powerful than the new E-Rep mayor could've ever guessed. Yes he can keep control of the miners, but he is smart, he knows how to bide his time until it's optimum to strike and take those fuckers down.

Ps post pale wars country music is AWESOME!

I think it's "Camp Reverie." I'm sure we'll get a full explanation for why Yewll is there, but her actions in last season of giving the Earth Republic folks lip and helping Irisa to escape (IIRC) probably are sufficient grounds for being locked up.

I want to give the post pale wars country music a special shout-out on a couple grounds. One -- it was kind of catchy in its own right (and I'm not a country fan). Two -- it's the sort of worldbuilding that sets things apart. Too many shows in the future have the characters loving music, plays, etc. that are already in the public domain rather than their own futuristic art forms.Three -- it's a callback and inversion of the pilot, where Nolan gets Irisa to calm down by playing country music. They go from having a good ol' time to Irisa hallucinating she's slitting Nolan's throat.

Cletus Musashi: Yes she has.

I wonder if the drug Stahma gave her is the same one Stahma was using in the bath?  They seemed to have similar effects and  different species might metabolize it different ways.

I'm thinking the drug that Stahma was using was some sort of sex thing -- Alak says something to her about how Datak wouldn't approve of her using it, and her response was that without a man around, she has to get by somehow.  It was a white powder.

The drug Amanda was on seemed to be the "Blue Devil" one that was referenced earlier in the episode. IIRC, it was blue. 

I am happy we're back! And happy to have a new forum (RIP, well, you know). Anyway, I was happy to watch, and got the sense that yes, things are darker this season. Not every show can start off like Battlestar with the beginning being the most OMFG part of the entire series. Defiance seems to be trying to find it's footing. I liked Amanda much better at the Need/Want and even dressing darker and vampier. 

I liked the shot of Christie serving dinner (gross) as I like all things that show how different the alien races are. I was really worried for a minute that Alak was about to disrobe and get in the tub with his mom, which would have been a callback to last year's scene, but at least they didn't go there again. I did wonder out loud if Christie was going to be joining in the family baths. A LOT less creepy without Datak, but creepy nonetheless.

I continue not to care about the mining story, or about the E-Rep/evil empire. They seem cartoonish to me, and that is saying a lot considering the whole show can have a cartoonish feel and I'm ok with that.

Doc Yewel was made of awesome. I cannot imagine how desperate Datak was to even be deluded she'd be up for that. I loved that she was totally unflappable and totally unwilling.

God I love this show.  Amanda was all kinds of awesome and so was Stahma.  I loved the scene where she was talking with Alak .  What did she call it?  "Straight Talk."  What it was was putting him in his place.  I loved every second of it.     I like the new mayor and his designs on Amanda I find him interesting even though my poor shipping heart as a weird affinity for shipping Amanda and Stahma even now they have chemistry.  The scene where Amanda tried to give Stahma her cut but she wouldn't take it sizzled for me.  

I really did miss this show.  

• Love 1

I have now reached the conclusion that the time jump to get out of honestly resolving the cliffhangers is a sure sign of hackery. 

Trying to get past the initial failure, Stahma wants to ditch Datak. She's got Alak's number but does she have Christy's? She doesn't seem to realize she's modeling a Castithan marriage for daughter-in-law. 

Julie Benz as druggie? Since she had to fill an empty spot at a whorehouse I should hope so. Having just one unpleasant man screwing her as "advisor" will be a step up. 

Nolan should have noticed that Irisa is plenty old enough to go out on her own. I'm not sure the show understands they've put an incest motif into the characterizations? 

Addressing these in reverse order:

I'm pretty the show doesn't understand the "incest motif" because I certainly don't understand it.  Or recognize it.  Or believe that it exists.  Sure Irisa is old enough to be out on her own.  So is Nolan.  So what?  The world of Defiance is a pretty damned dangerous place.  Having a reliable, trustworthy partner who loves you like a father/daughter is a good idea if you can manage it.  Nolan and Irisa are better together than apart, no incest required.

The implication seemed to be that Amanda was running the Need/Want, having effectively inherited it from Kenya.  That was my take on it, anyway.  I don't have a problem with the idea that Amanda, having lost her position, her sister and her potential boyfriend (Nolan) might turn to drugs to numb her pain and continue to function.

I don't know that Stahma wants to ditch Datak as such, it's just that she can't do much for him right now.  It's pretty likely that the Votan Collective doesn't give a single sack of schtacko about Datak Tarr.  Meanwhile, Alak's youth and basic decency mean that the Tarr crime family has been losing money and ground since Datak left and Stahma is sidelined.  This episode was Stahma taking steps to correct that problem.  For my part, I think Stahma would like to have Datak back, just back in a different role - that of Stahma's incredibly vicious attack dog to set on those who fail to be persuade by her sweet reason.

Meanwhile, the time-jump resolved all the cliffhangers to the degree that they needed to be resolved.  We know pretty much what's happened and where everyone ended up.  Enough time has passed for a new status quo to arise, just in time for Nolan and Irisa to head back to Defiance and mix with the other explosive elements that will wind up blowing that status quo to hell.  Again.

• Love 4
(edited)
The implication seemed to be that Amanda was running the Need/Want, having effectively inherited it from Kenya.  That was my take on it, anyway.  I don't have a problem with the idea that Amanda, having lost her position, her sister and her potential boyfriend (Nolan) might turn to drugs to numb her pain and continue to function.

I actually like that particular story.  Amanda strikes me as a woman who has been strong for so long.  Strong for her town.  Strong for her sister.  And now both have been taken from her.  I think yes she is trying to numb the pain.  

I don't know that Stahma wants to ditch Datak as such,

I forget the actual line or lines but it involved her pushing her first husband through the airlock and how Datak was a cruel but untrustworthy leader of the family.  But she is from a society where as a woman she can't even take a bath alone.  So she needs her son to be a figure head.  I think she is actually hoping that Datak doesn't return so she can run the family herself.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I will watch again for the gorgeously evocative set designs. I'm assuming that since there is a game too, that a lot of the post-apocalyptic Chicago and LA was computer generated, right?

My question is why isn't Datak dead?  he killed a colonel in the occupying force but all he gets is ten years?

The better to make an example of him, my dears.

Rafe (or an ally) said the overworked miners were having to use the blue drug to keep up, so it doesn't make sense that Amanda would also be using it to got to sleep--but I suppose it could do both if it first speeds the user up and then leaves him/her relaxed. Anyway, if it is the blue stuff, and if Stahma is going to start using human adrenaline to manufacture it, Amanda's morals are going to be in conflict with her addiction.

I'm sorry Alek's not DJing. Maybe he will eventually surprise his mom and join the rebellion against both her and the eReps, becoming an underground DJ that rallies and inspires the oppressed.

Are the words to the song at the end of the episode online somewhere?

I'm pretty the show doesn't understand the "incest motif" because I certainly don't understand it.  Or recognize it.  Or believe that it exists.  Sure Irisa is old enough to be out on her own.  So is Nolan.  So what?  The world of Defiance is a pretty damned dangerous place.  Having a reliable, trustworthy partner who loves you like a father/daughter is a good idea if you can manage it.  Nolan and Irisa are better together than apart, no incest required.

I don't see any incest motif either. The only thing I get from Nolan and Irisa is a father and daughter's love for each other. I also don't have any problem with Nolan's worrying about Irisa being on her own in a place as dangerous as Defiance where traveling alone with no one to watch your back most likely means a quick death, especially given the trauma that she has been through in her young life. 

• Love 3

I did get a twinge of that at one point--I think. Could you define the term as it is used to critique literary works?

Or, since, as you say, it's not likely the show is trying to be edgy that way, but rather the writers and/or runners are oblivious, maybe it's moot to discuss.

(edited)

The scene where Amanda tried to give Stahma her cut but she wouldn't take it sizzled for me.

Stahma took her cut. I think it's clear that kind feelings take a distant second place to matters of practicality, especially when it comes to the family business.

Stahma slipped a packet of drugs to Amanda, the packet she opened and used at the end of the episode. I'm sure that Stahma has deliberately gotten Amanda involved in drug use and will use that fact whenever it can most benefit Stahma's plans.

I'm sorry Alek's not DJing. Maybe he will eventually surprise his mom and join the rebellion against both her and the eReps, becoming an underground DJ that rallies and inspires the oppressed.

I would like to see that for Alak. It had to be completely humiliating for him when Stahma said he could go back to his "music hobby" and leave the running of the business to her. Then she switches it up and says how proud she is of him to know that "straight talk" was what was needed.

Stahma doesn't want Datak back any time soon. With her husband, she has to waste her time and energy manipulating the id-addled fool to do what she wants done. With Alak, she's made sure he knows just how useless and inconsequential he is without his mother. And if he balks, she has Christy as her ace in the hole.

Edited by BungalowSummer
  • Love 2

There are so many things off about the Nolan/Irisa relationship that aren't father/daughter it's easier to consider what is, which isn't much. In retrospect, the least fatherly/daughterly dialogue might have been where they were mulling over the good times they had when she was giving him the slip? I could've sworn it was written for a movie where a man (maybe a bounty hunter?) had been chasing a woman (an FTA?) and they were supposedly enemies of a sort but that's only on the surface. If there was anything father/daughter about there relationship, there would have been some drama about why she kept running away. And the fate of the supposed boy friend would have mattered too. But, as they say, your mileage may vary...maybe the relationship is simply incompetently written. All that's going on is the actress is being packaged for sex appeal and the rest is just getting lost?

But I cannot agree that the time jump was anything but a mediocre cheat. Irisa jumping into the abyss was supposed to be a climax and the resolution has been skipped just because it's more convenient to do a retcon so it wasn't a climax. And maybe Nolan's healing was trivial, but if it was then the shooting wasn't signficant either. 

SimoneS:  My question is why isn't Datak dead?  he killed a colonel in the occupying force but all he gets is ten years?

That's a really good question.  Let's think about it.  That's one of the things I enjoy about this show, that within the make-up and SyFy stuff, there's moments of subtlety, moments where the answer is there, but you have to think about it.

Perhaps Datak is so popular that the E-rup feared a tougher sentence would spark riots among the Casti.  Datak is an influential figure among them, after.  Yeah, no.  Influential, sure.  Feared, certainly.  Respected, possibly.  Liked, I doubt it.  Especially since everyone among the Casti knows that he set up the one kid to be killed by the Lawkeeper so he could embarrass Amanda.

Maybe Datak's relatively light sentence is an E-Rep gesture of compassion and respect.  They're showing that they won't just toss Defiance's former mayor in Vegas prison for life.  They'll give him ten years in a place where his wife can give him handj-, er, support while he's behind bars.  Still, does anyone really think the E-rep would expend compassion on Datak Tarr?  Me either.

Think about the Colonel who was killed.  He wasn't just an E-rep colonel.  He was a man clued into the existence of the Voten ship.  One of several people in the E-rep government who have their own conspiracy to get control of it.  Surely some of those people are left.  So, one of their own is brutally and personally murdered by a Votan crime boss.  Maybe the guy just went off his nut like people probably said.  Maybe he didn't.  Maybe Datak knows something about the ship and that's why he killed the Colonel.  That's what the E-rep conspirators might think, after all, since they aren't actually watching the show like we all are. 

So, in the conspirators' shoes, what do you do?  Well, maybe what you do is exercise your influence to play above riot/compassion cards.  Hell, it's not like even the normal E-rep really wants a trial.  Who knows what kind of dirt Datak has picked up on them from his VC contacts?  So, Datak gets a sentence that's almost reasonable if you squint at it and will serve it in a place the conspirators all already watching - Defiance.  Now that they've spent that last few months watching Datak, listening to his talks with Stahma and hearing his increasing frustration with the VC, they can be pretty sure he doesn't know anything about the ship.  And that's why that Bio-woman was about to make his death an unfortunate consequence of a fight during feeding time.  The above is also part of why Yewell is there, too, in a place the conspiracy can access to recover her if need be.

It's overinterpretation like that that makes me a bit afraid to hug my child in public.

I do not believe the text has shown ANY vibe of sexual tension between these two characters. But it did show great devotion on both sides. Nolan rescued Irisa from a cult that would have had her body and mind exploited, it is only natural that he is over-protective. Yes, she is a grown-up woman now. But he knows her at her most vulnarable and he feels she won't make it alone in the world. is he correct? Probably not. Does he have the right to feel that way? Naturally.

How many times did our parents try to force safety on us? Even when we are adults with our own lives, the bond remains. And I think that Defiance may be found wanting in many aspects, but not in the portrayal of the parent/child relationship between Nolan/Irisa.

But again, everybody sees what they want to see.

• Love 10

It's overinterpretation like that that makes me a bit afraid to hug my child in public... 

But again, everybody sees what they want to see.

Or what they wish they hadn't seen/imagined.

More Doc Yewell, please.

And I thought the thing was that people don't see what they don't want to. All I can say is that if I had seen my child full of snaky alien technology, I wouldn't think running off to Antarctica with me would be her happy ending. Lovers are equals (I hope.) There's a different kind of protectiveness involved with children. That's why sometimes it's your loving moms and dads who are so overbearing and downright invasive. And the indifferent ones who are satisfied with threadbare excuses and transparent lies. There are things a lover will simply accept that a parent can't, at least not easily. Or so I think.

• Love 1

I don't find Amanda's drug use a stretch. Not only has she has lost everything, but deep down inside she must know that Kenya is dead. Her sister would not abandon her business and never make contact her. 

johntfs, you made an error putting my name with the quote in your latest post.

But I cannot agree that the time jump was anything but a mediocre cheat. Irisa jumping into the abyss was supposed to be a climax and the resolution has been skipped just because it's more convenient to do a retcon so it wasn't a climax. And maybe Nolan's healing was trivial, but if it was then the shooting wasn't signficant either.

I don't think the time jump was a cheat or a retcon. It's obvious that one of the main story arcs of this season will be the mystery of what happened to Irisa, the nature of the key devices in her and what is still buried down in the mine. Nolan's death and Irisa's sacrifice to revive him are central to this story. Her leap into that abyss was the start of the story, not its climax.

I also can't agree that Nolan and Irisa's relationship is incestuous in any way. If it's unusual, it's unusual because it's such an open and frank relationship. Irisa is normally direct and unequivocal. Nolan is clearly devoted to protecting her the best he can. In a world like that of Defiance, I can see why neither the formerly abused and rescued girl or the professional soldier have any time for b.s.  I may be biased because I love their relationship most in this show. Irisa's new secretiveness at the behest of the phantom Irzu-child will surely be one of the season's conflicts.

• Love 10

I don't find Amanda's drug use a stretch. Not only has she has lost everything, but deep down inside she must know that Kenya is dead. Her sister would not abandon her business and never make contact her. 

johntfs, you made an error putting my name with the quote in your latest post.

I didn't put your name with the quote.  It was already there.  What I quoted was trickterson's response to one of your statements that was directed to you by name.

I liked this premiere.  And I agree that what happened after Irisa jumped is probably going to be revealed over the course of the season, and I'm interested to see it unfold.  

I think that Nolan and Irisa's relationship is a very different father/ daughter relationship than most of us are used to seeing, but I've never gotten any sense of anything other than familial love and loyalty from them.  Because of the way the met, both of their histories, and the way they've lived since meeting, they interact in a way that at times seems more to me like teammates or brothers in arms.  But then she can sometimes act out her immaturity, and he is very protective of her, and they both love and depend on each other.  Seems like family to me! 

Stahma moving toward Alak as he was considering getting in the bath, though.. that seemed a little creepy!  I get that bathing together is a Casti thing, so that's not the issue, but she had just been pleasuring herself, and it seemed like she was sexily slithering up to him and talking in a seductive voice.  It was a little weird.  And don't even get me started on Datek's handjob weirdness.  

I have always found Amanda to be the most boring part of this show, and this episode did nothing to change that.  Not sure why, though - I just don't like her.  

I'm really curious about how the E-Rep and provisional governor came in to power.  Sure, Datek killed whatshisface, but there had to be some interesting aftermath.  And I don't understand why the town didn't just have another mayoral election; why does E-Rep get to be in charge?  It was a little confusing.  

(edited)

Let me add my voice to those asking for the lyrics to that song at the end.

According to Shazam, that song is 'Across the Storm Divide' sung by none other than Trace Adkins.

If you watched the web episodes, the Storm Divide is a place near the Rockies where the bar was located that Nolan was drugged, and where he captured a Castithan that was part of the cult that had held Irisa in Denver.

From what I was able to decipher (it's hard to make out some words), so here goes:

Shanje Liro's hide their gals

When I walk in the room

I burn as hot as sooros

Get ready for the boom

I drink and gamble 'til I'm broke

No sin I haven't tried

But still my true love waits for me

Across the Storm Divide

Across the Storm Divide

Shotgun at my side

I'll fornicate my way back home

Across the Storm Divide

Irzu's daughters faint away

When I step on their path

I count upon them Casti girls

to liven up my bath

I hooked up with a Sensoth once

And that was quite a ride (yeah it was)

But still my true love holds my heart

Across the Storm Divide

Across the Storm Divide

We travel far and wide

Then fornicate our way back home

Across the Storm Divide

Across the Storm Divide

Good friends at my side

We'll fornicate our way back home

Across the Storm Divide

We'll fornicate our way back home

Across the Storm Divide

Across the Storm Divide

Across the Storm Divide

Across the Storm Divide

ETA: correction to the lyrics per Ariah below.  Thanks Ariah, tried my best but I was bound to get one or two wrong. :)

ETA2: Thanks bungalowsummer, that spelling makes more sense in the first line of the song.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
(edited)

And why did tracker Nolan go to LA via Chicago?

The web episodes help with this -- because it was actually New Chicago (and who knows exactly where that is located because of all the terraforming changes and years of war. Chicago could have been destroyed by either side and they started a new one some place else).

Nolan found one of the cult members that had imprisoned Irisa at a bar near the Storm Divide and he was able to 'convince' the Castithan to tell him the location of the leader of the cult -- that location was New Chicago.  Then in New Chicago he found out from the cult leader that Irisa was most likely in LA, before he killed the cult leader and the cult leader's wife.

I'm really curious about how the E-Rep and provisional governor came in to power.  Sure, Datek killed whatshisface, but there had to be some interesting aftermath.  And I don't understand why the town didn't just have another mayoral election; why does E-Rep get to be in charge?  It was a little confusing.

At the very end of the Season 1 finale, there is a massive E-Rep convoy headed into Defiance and there is an announcement over loud speakers indicating that the E-rep had assumed control of the town.

ETA: Plus, Datak had that deal with the Colonel that Datak would be mayor of the town with the E-Reps backing, that's why the E-rep army moved in so quickly.  But once the Colonel changed the deal and Datak killed the Colonel, I'm assuming the E-Rep just put "Provisional Mayor" Pottinger in place, when really he's more the military governor of the town.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

The song lyrics refer, I believe, to the Shanje Liro, the high Castithan caste. Stahma is a daughter of the Shanje Liro. I love the mix of English, French and Votan languages in the song recordings they use. It's a nice bit of realism.

• Love 1

Thanks Bungalowsummer and Ariah for helping correct those song lyrics -- sometimes what the ear hears is just not how it's spelled.  I'm still unsure about the word 'sooros' in the 3rd line, have never heard it before in the context of the show.

Thanks Bungalowsummer and Ariah for helping correct those song lyrics -- sometimes what the ear hears is just not how it's spelled.  I'm still unsure about the word 'sooros' in the 3rd line, have never heard it before in the context of the show.

I just wasn't sure was really hearing the refrain: "I'll fornicate my way back home." LOL
  • Love 1
At the very end of the Season 1 finale, there is a massive E-Rep convoy headed into Defiance and there is an announcement over loud speakers indicating that the E-rep had assumed control of the town.

ottoDbusdriver - Thanks for that, I had forgotten.  But I'm still confused about why the E-rep was able to take control.  The town was independently controlled/ governed, right?  That was my impression.  So I just don't understand why the E-rep was able to stroll in and put their own provisional governor in place.  Regardless of Datek's deal, I would expect the town to have had a new election or something to put a new mayor in place.  I guess the E-rep just took over by force during the 9 months between seasons?  Or maybe I don't have a good grasp on the hierarchy of government in Defiance to begin with (totally possible).  Perhaps that's another area where there is more story to tell than what we've seen so far.  Or maybe I'm just being dense.  :-)

(edited)

Dathak invited them, then stabbed the heck out of their representative. They promptly used the stabbing as a just cause for annexing the town. This stuck because the shady mayor is very nearly as clever as he thinks he is and managed to make at least some things in defiance better for the citizens at the same time as he identified and neutralized all the previous powerplayers in town - The mine nationalization and pay raise was genius pr, and pulled Rafe's teeth, Stahma assuming direct control probably made crime in defiance a lot less noisy, and since The E-rep likely doesn't actually mind to her selling their workers blue devil, she isn't a threat to them. (..this may be why hubby is alive. Dead husband is worthless as leverage.) and the former mayor was sidelined with grief and loss, and he is still working on co-opting her. 

Edited by Izeinwinter