Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Here to Help

• Start Topic

Airdate 2019.06.02

The group led by Morgan and Alicia lands in uncharted territory in search of survivors to help as everything is not as it seems.

REMINDER: This thread is to discuss this episode and what is shown in this episode.  Do not discuss spoilers or news of cast comings or goings that we haven't seen onscreen yet.  While it's all right to generally reference The Walking Dead as we do have character crossovers, your post should primarily be about this show and not minutia or major plot points from the mothership.

I'm rather amused our gang is going around crashing planes and getting themselves impaled on things while insisting that they're "here to help" only to eventually reveal that they haven't actually really managed to help anyone yet.  

But hey, we got a Daniel sighting and Max Headroom showing up to be a snitty quibbler over property rights to abandoned warehouses/factories in the apocalypse.  I kind of dig how randomly weird this show is becoming.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
(edited)

Seeing Daniel made me realize that I have no bloody recollection of what happened to Ofelia.  Anyone?  TIA!

NEVER MIND - Google is my friend.

Edited by patty1h

Great to see Matt Frewer again. My favourite role of his was Trashcan man in the Stephen King mini series for The Stand also on PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal which was a Canadian type x-files show.

• Love 5

I dunno - Whoopie Goldberg with face pustules, on the radio. Yet again with the Big Bad?  Pretty sure I've watched eleventy billion murders by antifreeze on the ID Channel.

I cannot begin to count how many back windows have been kicked out by suspects IRL.

Morgan is no Savior for this series.

• Love 1

I paraphrase Morgan about what they’re doing in the world, which pretty much paraphrases my feeling toward this show: We’re trying to help people, but it’s all pretty much gone to shit.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, TvGeek said:

Great to see Matt Frewer again. My favourite role of his was Trashcan man in the Stephen King mini series for The Stand also on PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal which was a Canadian type x-files show.

He's great!. I remember when he was on Star Trek next Generation as a fake time traveler.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, patty1h said:

I'm so confused.  Airplanes, Logan, the group split up, heads in trees, Daniel on film, whatever those documents Al found at the end...

Me too!. Where did Logan come from? Why did he have access to the factory?

• Love 1

Thing is, I really like the current cast. This show could very easily grab my attention. But last season, with the never ending gimmicky time shifts/flashbacks, and the two least interesting villains in television history, left me cold. 

This episode was a complete mess and left me wondering if the current writing staff know how to tell a story at all.  

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, oakville said:

Me too!. Where did Logan come from? Why did he have access to the factory?

Logan claimed he was at one time Clayton’s (Polar Bear) partner, which is why he knew the code for the padlock, and claimed ownership of the factory / stock.

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

It’s certainly come to something, when the three kids seem to have a better handle on not being screwed over than the been there done that ‘grown-ups’, honestly.

The moral of the story seems to be that this is what happens when you blindly follow Morgan around or wholeheartedly buy into his all life is precious, there's still good in the world shtick.  In the few months? we're supposed to think they've been together as a group, they've nearly gotten themselves poisoned with antifreeze by a muddy weirdo and now crashed and impaled in the middle of nowhere while being locked out of their home base because he convinced them to "help" at all costs.

I seriously can't wait to see what Daniel makes of Morgan and the rest of this crew.  Sunny and optimistic he was not.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, econ07 said:

Anyone know if they did the same time jump here as walking dead, or are we still many years in the past shortly after Morgan left?

This explains things pretty well,

• Love 1
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

This explains things pretty well,

Thanks ... that's pretty much what I thought.  This takes place within a year of Morgan leaving Alex.

I was a bit confused also since I might have missed the last episode before this one. I missed the first part of this episode, first thing I saw of it was after the plane was crashed ,burning on the ground.  I had no idea Morgan,etc... had been on the plane.  I quit watching The Walking Dead last season & started watching this one instead.

I’m cautiously optimistic about the season. I’ve come to like these characters so much more than most of the remaining ones on the original, even if Morgan’s world view is a bit too naive and rosy, given everything he’s seen. I am curious about where the plane(s) came from and how our gang learned to fly. I wonder how much of the season is going to fill in the blanks to get to this point.  Having Ruben Blades and Matt Frewer in the cast should add to the enjoyment, as long as they (as villains?) bring something new. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I really liked this episode. It was better than most of what season 4 had to offer, which I know is a low bar. 

Very happy it seems Alicia is sharing the lead role with Morgan now. Morgan is not a leader in my opinion. If he is going to keep preaching, I need Alicia to keep telling him his plans are stupid like she did in their last scene. It's weird because I still like Morgan even though I don't agree with anything he has done since joining Fear. It must be the actor I like. 

I'm hoping Althea dies this season, her character is the worst. Stopping mid saving Luciana to film, I can't with her and her camera anymore. I also think Luciana might go. She really has no purpose anymore.

This episode set up a lot of interesting things: radiation walkers, helicopter group and Logan. 

Hopefully the show follows through. 

Edited by Beatrice
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Why would she even read the documents in the pouring rain, risking their destruction, instead of heading back to her dry vehicle to read them?

YES!! The very exact same thought that was running through my brain! Thank you! 🤣 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Beatrice said:

Hopefully the show follows through. 

Yep.  I am not sure if I liked the episode or not for this reason.

I don't mind when an episodes or a season starts somewhere else from where it was and destabilise you, but it has to tie the knots.  

The writers on TWD did the same thing than the serie Lost by not following what they were putting upfront.  New characters that vanishes in the haze,  storylines going nowhere, etc..  This is why I don't try to much to make sense of that episode for the moment,  if the story follow through good, I will get into it but for now I will not get excited.

But I also have to say that they did the same last year and it all went well,  everything got sorted out on the way.  I cross my fingers.

18 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

Let’s hope it’s somewhere a little more ‘vital’ next time, 

Aww poor Luciana. I like her but she's just not needed anymore. I wouldn't be sad if she took June with her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I watched the first season of FTWD and watched very little of the next couple of seasons. Got back into watching it when Morgan came on it. Didn't the  Daniel Salazar character get killed off ??

He did, twice. You can't keep a bad man down.

• LOL 3

Daniel was presumed dead in a hacienda fire back in season 2.  He popped up in season 3 to be last seen being shot in the face by Strand and left for dead during the dam explosion in that season's deck clearing finale.  And now here he is again.  He's like the Terminator without the shiny liquid chrome effects.

At this point, it's more entertaining (and funnier) if he does keep improbably surviving deaths like that to pop back up every so often.

• Love 2
On 6/4/2019 at 8:33 AM, Haleth said:

I’m cautiously optimistic about the season. I’ve come to like these characters so much more than most of the remaining ones on the original, even if Morgan’s world view is a bit too naive and rosy, given everything he’s seen. I am curious about where the plane(s) came from and how our gang learned to fly. I wonder how much of the season is going to fill in the blanks to get to this point.  Having Ruben Blades and Matt Frewer in the cast should add to the enjoyment, as long as they (as villains?) bring something new. 

This is how I feel.   I like that our group is willing to take chances and help people (let's not crash any more planes, though, OK group?)

I'm sort of over the nihilistic vibe on these shows so the novelty of our characters actually trying to help is interesting to me.  We'll see how it goes.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Thanks, it will be interesting to see how Daniel keeps coming back!  Didn't he have a family? Any of his family still around? 

Was that his daughter who got a pipe through her shoulder in the plane crash, or is she someone else? I can't remember. 

24 minutes ago, Gobi said:

Was that his daughter who got a pipe through her shoulder in the plane crash, or is she someone else? I can't remember. 

No, the impaled woman is Luciana.  She was part of a scouting group, I think it was, that saved Nick's life in S2.

Daniel's wife died in S1 and his daughter, Ofelia, died in S3.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, raven said:

No, the impaled woman is Luciana.  She was part of a scouting group, I think it was, that saved Nick's life in S2.

Daniel's wife died in S1 and his daughter, Ofelia, died in S3.

Thanks, I didn't think she was his daughter, just wasn't sure. Was Luciana the one who was going to run off to some city to look for her fiance? I can't keep everyone straight. I have an even worse time with TWD. 

2 minutes ago, Gobi said:

Was Luciana the one who was going to run off to some city to look for her fiance? I can't keep everyone straight. I have an even worse time with TWD. 

No, that was Ofelia who left the group in Mexico and was going back to the US.   She joins Walker's group; they save her life I think?  After the old racist guy (Madison and co joined that group) leaves her in the desert.

Luciana eventually hooks up with Nick.

• Love 1

Oh no. Salazar is back? Strand is still there. Morgan. Garrett Dillahunt. Now Matt Frewer?

I appear to be...considering watching this series again?

No, no, no! I got out! They can't pull me back in! They can't.

...can they?...

• LOL 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, shanndee said:

No, no, no! I got out! They can't pull me back in! They can't.

...can they?...

The Walking Dead world is somewhat like the Hotel California, you can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave!

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

The Walking Dead world is somewhat like the Hotel California, you can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave!

Yeah, I can't seem to completely let go. The recent episode is still sitting there on my cable box mocking my feeling of dread when my finger nears the play button. So I come here to allay my misery.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2