Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

To be fair, the lifeguard boss was being passive aggressive to Tina for a while, so she didn't actually realize her screwing up was affecting the entire squad. Given that it's a completely new environment for her, it's not fair for her to get that right off the bat. Once she knew, she made a point to at least try, and wasn't costing the entire squad to be punished. Saying she was 'making the other kids suffer' isn't accurate. She certainly got in over her head, but it's kind of on the adult to assess her fitness for the program, like having a swimming test. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

"Some old guy made a Swiss roll that made me feel something FOR ONCE.”  Gene sums up exactly why the Great British Baking Show is the best show ever.  

"Its weird this is how they pick the Prime Minister."

I would totally watch a full episode of the family trying to help Sgt. Bosco solve a case, while everyone pretty much sucks at it. "Thats why your wearing shorts!"

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, ganesh said:

To be fair, the lifeguard boss was being passive aggressive to Tina for a while, so she didn't actually realize her screwing up was affecting the entire squad. Given that it's a completely new environment for her, it's not fair for her to get that right off the bat. Once she knew, she made a point to at least try, and wasn't costing the entire squad to be punished. Saying she was 'making the other kids suffer' isn't accurate. She certainly got in over her head, but it's kind of on the adult to assess her fitness for the program, like having a swimming test. 

Except she knew being a strong open water swimmer was a part of the job. The girl who hurt her ankle told her that and Tina lied to the boss about it. Bob even asked about it too before signing the form and she brushed off the importance of swimming despite being told directly it was important and understanding that well enough to lie to the boss about it. She was told discipline was important and she continually was difficult and intentionally failed to follow instructions.

A program like that should have a test associated with it and that's absolutely a failing on their end, but Tina isn't five and she should bear some responsibility for her actions. She knew she was lying and did it so she could touch half-naked boys. That's not okay. In fact, it's gross.

• Love 1

I think 'gross' might be a little too far. I'm not defending her, and she's not perfect, but I'm not shouldering all the blame on her either. Both the squad leader and Bob are the adults here. Bob knows Tina. He could have put his foot down too. 

10 hours ago, vibeology said:

Except she knew being a strong open water swimmer was a part of the job. The girl who hurt her ankle told her that and Tina lied to the boss about it. Bob even asked about it too before signing the form and she brushed off the importance of swimming despite being told directly it was important and understanding that well enough to lie to the boss about it. She was told discipline was important and she continually was difficult and intentionally failed to follow instructions.

A program like that should have a test associated with it and that's absolutely a failing on their end, but Tina isn't five and she should bear some responsibility for her actions. She knew she was lying and did it so she could touch half-naked boys. That's not okay. In fact, it's gross.

I agree, Tina is not only coming across as selfish, she's also definitely coming across as a predator of some sort.  I mean we have even seen her not take no for an answer when it come to Jimmy Junior and Josh.  I think its going a little overboard and this show would catch all sorts of hell if Tina was a boy.

On 5/7/2018 at 10:17 AM, vibeology said:

This is the sort of episode that makes Tina my least favourite character by far. I don't mind a teenage girl being attracted to boys or even setting up situations where she's around boys, but she loses me when she engineers situations where she touches boys who aren't interested or she pushes things like the love triangle when the boy in question repeatedly said he wasn't interested in her. Back the fuck off, Tina! And Tina getting a clue after days of making the other kids suffer wasn't enough to make up for any of it. Both the kids and the instructor were very clear with her about what was expected before she joined and what she was doing wrong once she was there. Her cluelessness isn't cute or funny for me; it's just very frustrating.

I wish the B plot had been the A plot. Seeing the diner full was pretty awesome and there was more comedy to mine with Bosco being undercover and the family helping to solve the cybercrime.

I find sexual predator Tina to be creepy and disgusting. She harasses Jimmy Junior, even though he's made it clear on numerous occasions that he's really not interested in her. And if she were a boy, pearls would be clutched at every perverted innuendo the character uttered.

Agree with your second point too.

• Love 1

18. When a malicious juice truck owner tries to set up shop in the Belcher's alley, Louise devises a plan to win back their turf. Meanwhile, Linda learns that she can't always run to her sister's defense.

19. The Belchers attend open houses for the free food, per Linda's "momnipotent" Mother's Day request. When Linda meets a charming real estate agent and agrees to a private showing, the kids stumble upon an unexpected surprise and the family ends up at the helm of a real estate scheme.

20. When Louise's extensive Burobu card collection gets confiscated at school, she devises a tricky plan to get them back. Meanwhile, Bob must give a eulogy for an old acquaintance, despite an unfortunate incident that happened years ago.

21. Just as Bob wonders if working in the restaurant business is worth it, a couple who fell in love at the restaurant asks the Belchers to cater their wedding. When things don't go as planned, Linda tries to save the day.

(edited)

AS I WALK THROUGH THE ALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF RAMPS

Neighbor: Bean There, Done That

Refried Beans Outlet

Exterminator: Fleas & Thank You

Burger(s) of The Day: The Sun'll Come Out To-Marrow Burger (Comes with Bone Marrow), The Sneakin' Celery Through The Alley Burger, The 500 Glaze of Summer Burger (Comes with pomegranate glaze)

Oh great, a Gayle story. Again, knew someone like Gayle, was not fun to deal with. But she was right, always assume she's going to kidnap a guy.

"Good-looking, but not too good-looking, like the Planter's Peanut." God, loved that, Gayle and her weird taste in men.

Like The Bubblemaster, I love how Bob keeps thinking about Corvette Guy.

I was wondering how Louise rode bikes, then I remembered she always rode a Big Wheel when Gene & Tina rode bikes. RIP Green Machine. I haven't hated a character since Logan (and at least he had character development), and yeah, I was with Louise when she was actually regretful about running over the bike.

God, I love whenever we see Regular-Size Rudy, and love that his dad is exactly like him. And I liked Mr. Huggins, I hope he comes back. It's George Wallace, of course he was amazing.

EDIT: Absolutely loved the Bat Out Of Hell cover, we need to hear the rest of it, and it just came out of nowhere!

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 6
(edited)

MO MOMMY MO PROBLEMS

Neighbor: Not Throwin' Away My Pot

Recycled Kitchen Wares

Exterminator: Is That Your Final Ant, Sir?

Burger(s) of The Day: None this time. :(

"Lin, you're moaning when you're eating."
"It's shrimp."

It's Rosa from Brooklyn Nine-Nine as the realtor! (It didn't sound like her at all!) I totally felt for her character. And I knew that guy Bob met on the ferry was gonna be important. I really liked how the kids cut to the chase and let Ethel told everyone that she was spooking everyone. Of course Tina gets disgusted at the taxidermy, and Louise loved it.

"It's just like a Fruit Roll-Up."
"You've just ruined Fruit Roll-Ups!" 

"Mine has a swing in the middle of the bathtub! I don't know if it's a sex thing or a disabled thing, but I am loving it!" Loved Gene in this episode.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

I only saw the one about selling the house. I didn't really get into it. The house was supercool, and I felt like the guy could have made some retrofits to accommodate his mother walking up and down the stairs. I get there were other problems, but they didn't seem insurmountable to me. 

14 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

Is that your final ant, sir?

I adore that pun as well as the previous one, Fleas & Thank You. I also cracked up at "Bean There, Done That - Refried Beans Outlet."

In the first one, I liked the little flashback of Bob trying to teach Louise how to ride a bike. Both of their panicking was great.

Gene: What about me? I'm a good teacher. I taught you all the difference betw Dermot McDorment and Dylan Milroney. Damn it!

In the second one, I'm glad things worked out. Loved all the one-ups-man-ship that Bob and the other guy were doing.

I liked Linda's words momnificent and momnipotent. But, boy, how dangerous to have to say Yes to everything she says.

Gene: I changed my walk.
Tina: Damn.

Gene: I think we should buy it as a vacation house for my ferrets.

Linda: It doesn't feel good lying to her, but at least we won't get caught.
Louise: I'm learning some strong lessons from you today, Mom.

I liked the little song that played during the shrimp-eating montage. "Shrimp shrimp shrimp and houses!"

• Love 4
On 5/13/2018 at 8:01 PM, Galileo908 said:

EDIT: Absolutely loved the Bat Out Of Hell cover, we need to hear the rest of it, and it just came out of nowhere!

I actually got a little misty-eyed at that last scene, and Bat Out of Hell reminded me just why I love this damn show. The Belchers are the best!

• Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, PinkRibbons said:

Man, if Linda (or actually even Bob) had seen that smoothie throwing, that Alice-chick would be dead.

Yeah, I know it's a show, but come on. What adult antagonizes kids they don't know? It's not like the kids weren't getting out of her way when she drove through at first. Actually twice. Then she runs over the bike? Although I liked how the kids handled it all themselves. 

I like how Bob was impressed that the bike party had a good turnout. I also found it weirdly interesting that they watch Mr. Robot. 

I always like the kid adventure stories, so I hope there's more riding bikes stories.

And of course Zeke was interested in the boy basket and was totally nonjudgemental about it. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, ganesh said:

What adult antagonizes kids they don't know?

Better technique when you see kids holding snowballs or whatever: smile and wave.  They will think you know their parents.

• Love 3

Bat Out Of Hell! With Bob and Louis! Awesome! 

"Its like Quidditch if Harry Potters life took some very sad turns." " Dont mess with the Beltchers, or you'll be mildly inconvenienced!" Gene was on fire this week! He even started a boy basket trend. 

• Love 6
(edited)

MISSION IMPOS-SLUG-BLE

Neighbor: I'm Getting Too Old For This Schvitz - saunas for the elderly

Exterminator: Beast Infection Pest Control

Burger(s) of The Day: I'm Getting Too Old For This Shishito Burger, The Don't Dream It's Okra Burger

"Now apologize to America!" Man, Ms. Labonz isn't seen a lot, but she stole every scene. Same with Mr. Ambrose. I loved that there were parts of the Library he's never been to.

"Did John Lithgow play John Laroquette in a movie or was that all a dream?"

So...Pokemon exists in the Bob's Burgers world, and Borobu was a pitch-perfect ripoff of it (also, Minions are a thing). The cards being banned but bringing them in anyway brought up some memories. And trading fake cards for the rare ones is so low, but relatable. Loved the spoof of the Pokemon theme at the end, too.

"Hi, hi, we're divorced."
et tu, Linda? Especially after all that talk about sticking with family?

"WHICH ONE OF US IS THE PICKLE MAN'S CHILD?!" Man, Gene was full of great lines tonight.

There wasn't enough of Mathy Kathy, nor of Mr. Frond dancing to "Groove is in the Heart."

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 9

Gene watching the teachers : "They're not acting that different. Are they always drunk?" That is a sharp observation young man!

31 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

There wasn't enough of Mathy Kathy, nor of Mr. Frond dancing to "Groove is in the Heart."

I was impatient with Tina this episode. On top of everything else she has absolutely no call to be flinging the nerd card at anybody else. Cough *zombie horse erotic friend fiction* Cough. 

But Mr. Frond busting out his moves out on the street was the thing I didn't know I needed till I saw it!

Bob singing "O Harry Boy, the pickles, the pickles are calling." This show is officially it's very own flavour of genius. 

Mr. Ambrose and Ms. Labonz should get their own spin off. I think they could be an awesome duo!

• Love 8

SOMETHING OLD, SOMETHING NEW, SOMETHING BOB CATERS FOR YOU

Neighbor: Jeans of the Stone Age - Vintage Denim

Exterminator: The War On Bugs

Burger(s) of The Day: The Stop Or My Mom Will Shoots Burger (comes with pea shoots), The Ring Gruyere-er Burger 

Linda's into the...tabs Bob looks at. She's a total keeper. I loved her speech at the end. Take THAT, doctors in war zones!

Yeah, Bob and Linda haven't had much luck with catering (see: Tammy. Or rather, don't), but I love how Bob was into it. His burgers actually brought people together into a dumb marriage! That's special. But man...that wedding was all kinds of a hot mess.

3 minutes ago, ABitOFluff said:

As someone who had worked in catering, and has experience with DIY outdoors weddings, so much of this is true to life. Yes, dead butterflies.

I can believe it.

"Bob, you're like a greasy Cupid. Do me! Do me next!"
"I've been trying for years, Teddy."

It's been fun, folks. See you all in the fall!

• Love 5
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Yeah, Bob and Linda haven't had much luck with catering (see: Tammy. Or rather, don't)

Tammy got the catering that she so richly deserved!

I didn't even know that DIY weddings were a thing until now, not to this extent anyway. But it was worth it to see Bob singing the "I do" song to his burgers!

Edited by CaptainTightpants
(edited)
2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

There wasn't enough of Mathy Kathy,

I feel like that should have been in another episode with everything going on.

I did like how Teddy thought that Bob throwing a pickle at the guy 4 years ago factored into his death. 

I certainly enjoy any plot that features the kids. I noticed that Rudy seems to get roped into the Belcher kids' schemes a lot. But, if you're at the teacher's house, they can't make you go to the principal's office. 

What I liked about this episode is the world building part, which I think is the strength of the show. The teachers have martini Tuesday. Bob shops at the farmer's market. That's a really nice detail on how seriously Bob takes the restaurant. You'd think he'd advertise that. 

And the odd detail that Zeke likes writing on people's arms. 

Sorry though, Mr. Frond, I have colleagues that don't drink and we go out all the time. They don't get on my case for drinking though. That's kind of on you. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I feel like that should have been in another episode with everything going on.

I totally agree. I'd say it was like Dina, but THAT was a tiny part in an episode, too.

17 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Bob shops at the farmer's market. That's a really nice detail on how seriously Bob takes the restaurant. You'd think he'd advertise that. 

Doesn't this go back to the Moody Foodie episode? And I agree about that. They don't really advertise, and they times they have tend to not work out too well.

18 minutes ago, ganesh said:

But, if you're at the teacher's house, they can't make you go to the principal's office. 

Especially if they were gonna call in sick anyway!

(edited)

Yeah but you can just have a sign in the restaurant - Bob's Burgers only uses local ingredients for your burger. I understand none of this is real, but it's clear that Bob is good at making burgers and the restaurant should be booming. Even when Bob lost on the cooking show, they had tons of people show up *even* the guy who won!

E21 - Onion ring burger for a wedding is brilliant. I also liked that the couple apparently went to the restaurant for a date. 

I love nontraditional weddings. Count me in every time. I didn't think the wedding was that much of a disaster though. So it was windy. Big deal. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

I actually gasped when Bob fell on the wedding cake. I knew something bad was going to happen to it as soon as he was asked to keep it in the cooler, and I was dreading the outcome.

@ganesh, Bob's Burgers is real in our hearts!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Yeah but you can just have a sign in the restaurant - Bob's Burgers only uses local ingredients for your burger. I understand none of this is real, but it's clear that Bob is good at making burgers and the restaurant should be booming. Even when Bob lost on the cooking show, they had tons of people show up *even* the guy who won!

E21 - Onion ring burger for a wedding is brilliant. I also liked that the couple apparently went to the restaurant for a date. 

I love nontraditional weddings. Count me in every time. I didn't think the wedding was that much of a disaster though. So it was windy. Big deal. 

Bob is excellent at cooking but really bad at getting along with people.  Is there anyone in town besides Teddy and Mort that actually like Bob?

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I actually gasped when Bob fell on the wedding cake. I knew something bad was going to happen to it as soon as he was asked to keep it in the cooler, and I was dreading the outcome.

I'm too literal. When the bride said that her grandma made the cake and the frosting would melt if it was left out, and could they put it in a cooler, I thought she meant just the *frosting*. Not the whole cake. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Mystery said:

I'm too literal. When the bride said that her grandma made the cake and the frosting would melt if it was left out, and could they put it in a cooler, I thought she meant just the *frosting*. Not the whole cake. 

I thought that, too, until they showed the cake.

The bride's cousin(?) (I don't remember who it was) drove the fully decorated cake from the bride's grandmother's house in Atlanta to the wedding in New Jersey. Since it was a homemade cake, it should've been delivered unassembled. It would then be assembled and decorated onsite. Professional bakers often do that.

...because this is all real, I put a lot of thought into it.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Neighbor: I'm Getting Too Old For This Schvitz - saunas for the elderly

17 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Burger(s) of The Day: I'm Getting Too Old For This Shishito Burger

I laughed like hell...it's the same joke! 

I hate hate HATE the weird scheduling. I DVR'd the second ep as I go to bed early (hey, I'm up at 4, don't judge) so I'll have a little treat later :)

Groove is in the heart!! And now it's stuck in my head...

12 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Bob is excellent at cooking but really bad at getting along with people.  Is there anyone in town besides Teddy and Mort that actually like Bob?

Marshmallow.  

• Love 8

They never really show Bob interacting with other adults socially much though, so I don't know if it's fair to pin that on him. He's always doing something for the restaurant or for the kids. He doesn't really hang out. 

And to be fair, the last time they did hang out, it was that awful double date, and I can't put that on Bob. 

I'm dying to know the circumstances of Bob's second date with Linda where she ended up in his lap and farted on him. 

I dont think its necessarily that Bob doesn't get along with people, its that awkward hijinks tend to mess up a lot of his interactions, or he mostly prefers to hang out with his family, or work. Plus, a lot of the adults on this show...arent really the kind of people I would imagine Bob would want to hang out with. 

That wedding was so awful, and so accurate to those DIY outdoor weddings. Thats why I will never get married outdoors! The weather will rudely refuse to cooperate. Poor Bob wanted that wedding to go well more than the actual couple seemed to. 

The knock off Pokemon made me laugh, and made me nostalgic for when Pokemon were a huge thing at my elementary school, and they got banned because they annoyed the teachers so much! 

"They arent acting different than they usually do, are they always drunk?" This has been a great Gene season, even though he hasn't had many spotlight episodes. His one liners have just been killer! Much like Mr. Frond aggressively dancing to Groove is in the Heart outside of Margarita Tuesday. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, ganesh said:

E21 - Onion ring burger for a wedding is brilliant.

Burger King did it for the royal wedding.

7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I hate hate HATE the weird scheduling.

I hate it, too. I DVR both eps, but after I watched the first one, I came here and saw that there was a second one to come, so I bailed.

But I liked both eps. 

The Pokemon-esque Burobu cards were great. Every one is a slug. The song at the end was perfect.

Gene: Wait, aren't those cards fake?
Louise: Gene!
Gene: I mean… Hello!

I loved the animation where Tina has dead arms and has to swing them with her body to pull out the cards she retrieved.

Louise: Our Burobu cards!
Rudy: And they've got bra on them.

The second ep was good, too. Of course we knew that things wouldn't go perfectly for Bob and that the cake was doomed, but I'm glad it all worked out with Linda's great speech.

I guess I'm hungry, because I wanted one of Bob's burgers and a chunk of that red velvet cake mess.

Linda: What are you reading? The internet?

Linda: Three months? You haven't been in a fight yet, and if you did, it was cute. You haven't even smelled each other's farts! You're still holding them in.
Bob: You farted on our second date.
Linda: Because I knew you were the one.
Bob: Sitting on my lap. Just for the record.
Linda: You loved it.

Teddy: Bob, you're like a greasy Cupid.

Bob: He's trying to block the wind from the microphone.

Gene: There's a reason they call it photo-GENE-ic

Linda: The universe cut a big fart all over your wedding.

• Love 3