Type keyword(s) to search

The Brown Kids

• Start Topic

I still wonder who conjured up the LV move and how the Browns were convinced to go there of all places…Vegas was everything they disapproved off and I doubt anyone living there knows the word “modesty”. They could have gone anywhere, yet they chose one of the most notorious cities in the US! 

Anyone could tell this would change and shape the kids into what they are today: Normal American teens and young adults, free from the clutches of the AUB, and I doubt this is what their parents originally intended!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, LilyD said:

I still wonder who conjured up the LV move and how the Browns were convinced to go there of all places…Vegas was everything they disapproved off and I doubt anyone living there knows the word “modesty”. They could have gone anywhere, yet they chose one of the most notorious cities in the US! 

As I recall, at one time Kootie blathered that living in Las Vegas was his lifelong dream.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Cetacean said:

As I recall, at one time Kootie blathered that living in Las Vegas was his lifelong dream.

I remember an early episode when Christine bubbled, " I love Vegas."  Kootie took her and their six kids on a trip there.

So it figures that Christine was all over that, when she knew Kootie wouldn't complain about going there with her and her unfavorite kids, if that was Kootie's dream.   

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

He stressed how he was excited by the bright lights.  He had been a billboard salesman in Utah, maybe he felt he could graduate to neon signs in LV.

Clever Robyn chose a house plan with a small balcony off the master bedroom and a lot sited so that this balcony would have a full view of the LV strip in the distance. 

• Love 9
(edited)
17 hours ago, Cetacean said:

How can you be a very religious fundamentalist and love Vegas? According to their beliefs Vegas must be their epitome of hell on earth. Further proof Kody never was that full into his religion as he wanted us to believe. 

No fundie or (conservative religious person) would willingly expose their kids to the temptations and loose morals of Las Vegas. We all saw how quickly the kids dropped their "modest" way of clothing for more (or quite) revealing stuff, mingled with kids who had no religious background and abandoned their faith (or at least the one they were raised in).

Edited by LilyD
  • Like 3

There are plenty of modest people in Las Vegas. Most Las Vegas residents rarely or ever go to the Las Vegas strip. As a place to live, it is no worse than anywhere else. The Browns are assholes who can't seem to settle anywhere and who needed a storyline to keep their show. And they were willing to move their kids AGAIN to keep the reality tv train going. I believe the largest number of Brown children are now in Utah, aren't they? Almost no one outside of Robyn's family wanted to stay in Flagstaff, much less live on Kody's imagined family "compound." I still feel bad for Savannah being forced back into that RV on Coyote Pass alone with Janelle for yet another summer. 

Logan is still in Las Vegas, is educated and employed and in a stable relationship, and appears to be pretty modest. 

• Like 2
  • Love 8
On 6/21/2022 at 11:35 AM, Sandy W said:

The wimmen folk have long since abandoned their "modest is hottest" look

Well with the exception of Christine.  The other women are still what I would call modest.  Janelle had on a short sleeve shirt and capri pant's.  Hardly what I would call immodest.  Even Meri and her sleeveless shirts and knee shorts are acceptable.  Robyn seems to be the only one with at least 3/4 length sleeves and always has pants on.  

19 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Kody took Christine and her kids to Vegas for a vacation.  They both loved Vegas.  I've read about even stricter groups of plural family members going there on vacation.  Why would such religious people go there on vacation?

7 hours ago, CherryBelly said:

Gabe made me cringe last seasons too. And I've always disliked Garrisons attitude and he seemed worse recently

I've always thought these two were not being respectful to Janelle.  I can't remember the two oldest  boys being like this on camera.  Talking garbage to your mother.  That is one major thing my dad wouldn't tolerate was being disrespectful to your mother.  Then again at some point boys need a dad around, to be there in what is a rough time.

12 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I still feel bad for Savannah being forced back into that RV on Coyote Pass alone with Janelle for yet another summer. 

Have they moved back out there yet?  I thought she was still living at Gabe's?

• Like 4

I was specifically referring to Las Vegas and, indeed, the strip. 😉 And of course I slightly exaggerated. I'm from Europe and when it comes to Vegas all we talk about is marriages (and quick divorces), gambling, hotels and partying. But of course it's much more than that. It's also the home of thousands of people who lead a normal life outside the madness.

But even then, Las Vegas is an odd choice for someone who is so conservative and is put off by extreme or liberal behaviour. A different, maybe more remote area of Nevada would be different of course.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I seem to remember at least one entire episode with the wives, maybe kootie too and they were walking around the strip rolling their eyeballs and and acting all holier than thou as they encountered skimpily clad women and explained how they’d never wear such revealing clothing tsk! Tsk! Yet now they have daughters who wear similar lingerie style clothing and think nothing of it and meanwhile it wasn’t long before Meri was sucking bananas and trying to look sexy for a stranger while posing in her bathtub.

They’ve always been full of shit and they obviously weren’t as religious as they wanted everyone to think…. bunch of hypocrites. 

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

From an article posted about Mykelti, Christine said,  "I know they're a bit overwhelmed because it's twins, it's a lot of work but I live close, Aspyn lives close.".

I wonder if Aspyn is not just with Christine for the summer, but moving from Maddie’s to Utah?

Isn't Aspyn the married one who has lived in Utah since her wedding?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

hmmm That picture of Truely is one of the first decent ones I have seen over the past 12 months! 

But I'm really glad to see Truely really living the life. She is surrounded by people who care about her, want to include her and do fun things with her. So different from her time in Vegas with a dad who never cared and a mom who was totally consumed by her own misery. I really can't remember many outings that were really fun for her. If they did stuff with the whole family, it was very focussed on older kids and Truely was a bit like that extra baggage that needed to be dragged along. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

It is sad Truely was a forgotten child . She is one of the biggest victims here. I hope now that Christine has finally seen the light that Truely will be able come into her own and be happy. 

• Love 10

I fully agree with you @CherryBelly. I’m also not ruling out the possibility of Christine trying to make up for lost time and activities with her. I don’t know if Truely’s still homeschooled, but that too may be to protect her or save her from yet another school change due to having to move again.

As for contact with other kids; we don’t know who she sees during the day. She may have friends in the neighbourhood. Hopefully that’s the case. Kids need other kids to play with and to grow up with. Not just your own family and older people.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, CherryBelly said:

I hope Truely is okay. I was always a bit concerned she was used as Christine's emotional support child. Her being home schooled may be fine but I hope she's spending time with peers, including ones that she's not related to. Truely seems quite precocious in some ways but younger than her age in others, I wonder how she'd fit in if she was in school.

Lots of SW fans adore her but what adults think is fun and cool in a 12 year old tend to be the kind of things other 12 year old would not find cool at all.

I 100% agree with this. Spot on!

• Love 8
20 hours ago, CherryBelly said:

I hope Truely is okay. I was always a bit concerned she was used as Christine's emotional support child. Her being home schooled may be fine but I hope she's spending time with peers, including ones that she's not related to. Truely seems quite precocious in some ways but younger than her age in others, I wonder how she'd fit in if she was in school.

Lots of SW fans adore her but what adults think is fun and cool in a 12 year old tend to be the kind of things other 12 year old would not find cool at all.

I think Christine dotes on her because she knew this would be her last child.  Maybe at some point she will go back to regular school.  But I think as long as the show is on the air and she travels back and forth for visitation with her dad, she probably wont attend a regular school.

• Like 4

There's a lot of talk in different threads about the kids' personalities and the different styles of parenting.

Humans are products of nature and nurture and as many twins-raised-apart studies have shown, genetics are a huge part of who we are. There's no way to know really if say, Aspyn was raised by Meri, and Leon by Christine, what traits would have remained the same and what would have changed. Obviously parents and parenting are a huge part of who we are too, but we're also nurtured by friends, teachers, coaches, etc.

I always tell my clients who are struggling with their child(ren) that we aren't responsible for every bad behavior our kid(s) have, nor can we take all the credit for every good behavior they have, but what we can do is correct bad behaviors and foster good ones.

• Like 6
  • Applause 6
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

There's a lot of talk in different threads about the kids' personalities and the different styles of parenting.

Humans are products of nature and nurture and as many twins-raised-apart studies have shown, genetics are a huge part of who we are. There's no way to know really if say, Aspyn was raised by Meri, and Leon by Christine, what traits would have remained the same and what would have changed. Obviously parents and parenting are a huge part of who we are too, but we're also nurtured by friends, teachers, coaches, etc.

I always tell my clients who are struggling with their child(ren) that we aren't responsible for every bad behavior our kid(s) have, nor can we take all the credit for every good behavior they have, but what we can do is correct bad behaviors and foster good ones.

Before I went to Social Work school I took a child development course.  It was a daytime course and more than a few of us were nontraditional students, and mothers. The professor read the room and said at the outset this wasn't a parenting class, and basically just what you said.  But even that helped me understand my children and my role as a mother.  And I did learn a lot of valuable information.  I guess unlike Meri, I was receptive to new information.

• Like 9
  • Love 1
On 7/15/2022 at 8:49 AM, ginger90 said:

During a live Mykelti did, she stated Dayton is still in college, and Aurora will be going into her second year, and Breanna her first.

I’ve seen it posted that she also said Truely will be in 7th grade at public school this fall.

• Like 4
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Looks like her old house in Vegas 

I would bet there are no ass-fired metal stallions galloping across the walls or resin boot lamps adorning the tables.

• LOL 10
17 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I would bet there are no ass-fired metal stallions galloping across the walls or resin boot lamps adorning the tables.

Omg wouldn't it be great if Janelle gave them a housewarming gift of similar?! Lolol

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, Teafortwo said:

Omg wouldn't it be great if Janelle gave them a housewarming gift of similar?! Lolol

Didn't siblings give Garrison a gag housewarming gift? One of those cheesy inspirational sayings 'art'?

• LOL 4

I think they've done okay on the college front. According to the last census, about 40% of Americans have college degrees.  About a third of people who start college don't finish.

Leon: Westminster/Loyola, Completed at least Westminster

Logan: UNLV, Completed

Hunter: Air Force Academy/Johns Hopkins, Completed

Aspyn: UNLV, Completed

Gabriel: NAU, In Process

Gwen: NAU, In Process

Ysabel: Eastern Caroline University, In Process

Day'un: NAU, In Process 

Aurora: NAU, In Process

Madison: Dropped out of Utah State, but reports taking classes again (In Process)

Mykelti: Dropped out of UNLV

Garrison: College of Southern Nevada, status unknown

Paedon: Did not go to college

Everyone else is too young for college.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
6 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I think they've done okay on the college front. According to the last census, about 40% of Americans have college degrees.  About a third of people who start college don't finish.

Leon: Westminster/Loyola, Completed at least Westminster

Logan: UNLV, Completed

Hunter: Air Force Academy/Johns Hopkins, Completed

Aspyn: UNLV, Completed

Gabriel: NAU, In Process

Gwen: NAU, In Process

Ysabel: Eastern Caroline University, In Process

Day'un: NAU, In Process 

Aurora: NAU, In Process

Madison: Dropped out of Utah State, but reports taking classes again (In Process)

Mykelti: Dropped out of UNLV

Garrison: College of Southern Nevada, status unknown

Paedon: Did not go to college

Everyone else is too young for college.

I believe Logan got an MBA from UNLV as well.  Michelle also got a graduate degree but I forget in exactly what - some sort of social sciences.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

I don’t think Maddie is doing any classes at the moment. She started a few things and then dropped out fairly soon again. That third pregnancy will definitely keep her out of college, I think as she has shown us twice now how hard life is when pregnant. It will probably put the focus firmly on family life as well.

Not sure about Dayton either. He specifically had to go to college in Flagstaff and then dropped out fairly soon after. No idea what he is doing at the moment, if he’s doing anything at all. We all know Robyn’s over-protective attitude towards Dayton.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I believe Logan got an MBA from UNLV as well.  Michelle also got a graduate degree but I forget in exactly what - some sort of social sciences.

Michelle’s is Criminal Justice, Master’s with a 4.0.

Logan:

97429FF6-F930-45BF-92B5-A8F1C3D06967.jpeg

4 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Not sure about Dayton either. He specifically had to go to college in Flagstaff and then dropped out fairly soon after.

He didn’t drop out, he’s going into his 4th year.

• Useful 6
49 minutes ago, LilyD said:

I don’t think Maddie is doing any classes at the moment. She started a few things and then dropped out fairly soon again. That third pregnancy will definitely keep her out of college, I think as she has shown us twice now how hard life is when pregnant. It will probably put the focus firmly on family life as well.

Not sure about Dayton either. He specifically had to go to college in Flagstaff and then dropped out fairly soon after. No idea what he is doing at the moment, if he’s doing anything at all. We all know Robyn’s over-protective attitude towards Dayton.

Maddie may have stopped with the third pregnancy.  On instagram, about a year ago, she mentioned a Bio exam.

Dayton will finish up next spring with a degree in business. He is focusing on Information Systems, Marketing and General Management.

1173497048_NewNote.thumb.jpeg.251b7917132d5996e8448e4bf4bd14f4.jpeg

• Useful 5

That’s interesting re. Dayton. A few years back, internet was buzzing with rumors that he dropped out of college after only one semester. It was also discussed at lengths here on this forum, particularly because they moved to Flag because of Dayton. I checked his LinkedIn page last year. It did refer to a college at the time. But lots of people do not update their pages or list colleges and degrees even when they drop out. So I don’t think it’s very reliable.

As for Maddie, yes she did biology a while back. She also wanted to become a nurse and tried another course (can’t remember which one) too. When she got pregnant with Axel, she was a student but dropped out. Maddie starts a lot and finishes nothing. So I doubt she’s still taking (bio) classes, particularly because she hasn’t mentioned it in ages and shares every other aspect of her life.

Edited by LilyD
Added bit on Maddie
  • Like 8
3 minutes ago, LilyD said:

That’s interesting re. Dayton. A few years back, internet was buzzing with rumors that he dropped out of college after only one semester. It was also discussed at lengths here on this forum, particularly because they moved to Flag because of Dayton.

I checked his LinkedIn page once quite some time ago. It did refer to a college at the time. Not that it means anything though. I know quite a few people that have listed colleges or universities on LinkedIn  but dropped out, but it looks as if they finished their degree because they listed the college under education/degrees anyway… 

Mykelti did a live not that long ago. I posted about it at the time. Among other things, she mentioned Dayton was going into his 4th year.

• Like 3
  • Useful 5

You're right, LilyD, folks do that. Dayton says he is graduating in May 2023, so 5 years to complete. Maybe he took a year off during Covid. 

In April Dayton also listed several new certifications that are related to his majors--Hubspot email marketing, Salesforce, R Programming and Tableau. So I think he is still enrolled.  

• Useful 9
On 8/7/2022 at 6:56 PM, ginger90 said:

He didn’t drop out, he’s going into his 4th year.

I think he took a term or more off since he started university in September 2018 and would have graduated this Spring 2022 if he had kept at it with a full load. Scaling back is usually a good idea so you don't burn out. Keep at it Day'un, you may need to support your parents some day.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

I think he took a term or more off since he started university in September 2018 and would have graduated this Spring 2022 if he had kept at it with a full load. Scaling back is usually a good idea so you don't burn out. Keep at it Day'un, you may need to support your parents some day.

He was close to Robyn's brother, who died. I believe after he passed, Dayton took off for at least a semester.

• Useful 6
On 6/21/2022 at 5:38 PM, LilyD said:

Anyone could tell this would change and shape the kids into what they are today: Normal American teens and young adults, free from the clutches of the AUB, and I doubt this is what their parents originally intended!

I don’t know why Vegas gets this reputation, only the tourist areas are like this and locals don’t flock to those areas typically. There are normal people in Vegas, even modest people, going to work and living their lives. Not everyone works on the strip or in the tourist industry serving cocktails in some skimpy outfit (I wore long sleeves and body armor). 

We lived in the area for almost a decade. Part of me misses it, but not the heat. Toooo hot for too long.  Still, we were there for so long I got all warm and fuzzy flying back into McCarran after a visit back home. Las Vegas felt like home.  

• Like 5
  • Love 6