Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: Back to School

For the first time, designers head back to school to transform two teachers' lounges with some A+ designs; Vern Yip and Carter Oosterhouse, along with carpenters Brett Tutor and Joanie Sprague, teach some lessons of their own.

Original airdate: April 20, 2019

That giant pencil-covered thing was not helping my headache... (oh, it was a table base. Still not helping my headache. The fabric pattern was killing me, too, but only when the camera was far away, so I guess it's better in person. But maybe don't watch TS with a migraine in the future...)

I like Carter's blue and white walls and the light flooring. That room felt nice and light and airy.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

Not sure which thread to put this in but it goes along with what we were talking about last week with Hildi and all the homeowners she screwed over.

The new episode in two weeks (5/3) looks intriguing. 

"What's Old Is New Again" - Everything old is new again as two of the original legacy designers must revisit signature rooms they've designed from past episodes; Paige Davis, Laurie Smith and Doug Wilson relive fun flashbacks moments with SuperFan neighbors.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 3

I was under the impression that the next episode involved twins, one of whom has Heidi to deal with. Way too much Heidi this season.

on the Carter facial hair front, no mustache but his letting his facial hair grow out just a little, and there’s gray. Still no guide to when episodes were filmed. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, theschnauzers said:

I was under the impression that the next episode involved twins, one of whom has Heidi to deal with. Way too much Heidi this season.

on the Carter facial hair front, no mustache but his letting his facial hair grow out just a little, and there’s gray. Still no guide to when episodes were filmed. 

I agree about way too much Hilda this season but I am glad to see Sabrina, she is my favorite and I am looking forward to seeing Sabrina next week! 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, theschnauzers said:

Yeah, I've seen the commercial a few times after the show ended. Never saw anyone so excited to see Hildi...

PAIGE, STOP YELLING!!! 

She’s soooooo annoying....

Amen to that.  Paige makes me nuts.  Everyone on this show must be told to amp up their excitement level because so much of it is OTT.  Paige is the worst though.

I had to leave the room and missed the part with the Wayfair tent.  I don't recall seeing anything that looked out of place at the end.  What did the teams pick?

I thought both lounges looked far better than they did at first although I doubt that anyone is going to sit on those little beanbag chairs.  They were cute but not practical.  I also have reservations about the glass-topped tables in Vern's room.  I have a glass-topped table in my dining room and I use place mats under dishes and I don't walk in and plunk down anything heavy like a stack of text books.  I suspect the glass will get damaged in some way before many months pass.

Overall, I liked the episode better than many others.

• Love 3

I can tolerate the pointless scenes of designer/carpenter/host hijinx.  Not today.  I would be shocked if such a thing as a dunce cap can be found in any school.  Not cute.  Not funny.  So wrong.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

The rooms looked like one had a designer working on it and the other, a carpenter designing.

Seriously. There were some decent aspects to Carter’s room, but it was also half empty. He didn’t even spend most of that extra thousand dollars, which could have gotten him another table made, and chairs to go around it, I’m sure. (In contrast, Vern spend $2999 and change and filled his room with tables and chairs.) You know those bean bags and floor-height “coffee table” will be shoved in a corner tout de suite. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, mlp said:

I also have reservations about the glass-topped tables in Vern's room.  I have a glass-topped table in my dining room and I use place mats under dishes and I don't walk in and plunk down anything heavy like a stack of text books.  I suspect the glass will get damaged in some way before many months pass.

Glass also shows fingerprints and dust.  The conference room table in the Big Boss' suite is wood, with a glass cover.  When I worked in there we were constantly having to pull out the windex and wipe it down.   

• Love 4

I didn't care for either room but I always enjoy an episode that ends with both sides happy with what they got. I'm not here for the drama. I would prefer this to be a feel good kind of show. People having fun doing some home redecorating and everybody all happy and huggy at the end. 

I wish they hadn't brought Paige back when they rebooted. She is hands down the worst part of the show for me. If I knew her IRL I'd run every time I saw her coming because she is just exhausting. 

I like that each room had something the kids did, and while some things might get changed, the beanbag chairs that no adult is going to sit in, or the impossible to keep clean glass table tops, I guarantee those portraits and that push pin wall art will stay. 

I missed the Wayfair bit too and couldn't figure out what in each room would have been from there, mainly because I forgot all about the Wayfair product placement since I didn't see that segment. Guess I could pretty much do without that bit. haha

• Love 5

From the Wayfair tent, both teams picked small items that were for holding things.

I can't believe Vern left the floor in his lounge; the best thing Carter did was cover his.  I liked the pencils on the flower vases, but it was a bit ridiculous as the table base.  Speaking of ridiculous, those tiny bean bag chairs will wind up in someone's classroom, because no one over the age of six can get in and out of them.  Which makes the low coffee table a total waste.  But I dug that couch.

I laughed so hard I disturbed my cat that Carter's kids' drawings were supposed to be of the principal, and in several of them she not only had a different color hair, she was an entirely different race.  I love it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I laughed so hard I disturbed my cat that Carter's kids' drawings were supposed to be of the principal, and in several of them she not only had a different color hair, she was an entirely different race.  I love it.

Until they explained that they were all pics of the principal I assumed that each kid did a drawing of each of the different teachers at the school. I would never have guessed that it was all supposed to be the same person. I would have lost big on that bet. haha

• Love 2

I was thinking if they ever have any contests for students, they could use the bean bag chairs as prizes (or give them to the kids who appeared on the show, but I think there were more kids than chairs). Though I wonder how long t-shirt fabric is gonna last with people sitting on them. I didn't see how they were put together; maybe there's a sturdier fabric underneath so they won't leak filling? 

I did think the low table was cute, but mostly only younger teachers are likely to be able to use it. I'm sure someone at the school could add longer legs to it to make it more usable for adults (or has a family member or friend who could do it. Or maybe the middle school has a wood shop class? Mine did...I still have the bookshelf I made in eighth grade). 

The Wayfair picks were a set of fancy pencil-holder-type cups and a round metal tray (which the first team looked at, then the second team took it), but I didn't see where they ended up in the rooms. I think they should replace the item the first team picks and see if the second team picks the same thing. That could be funny once or twice.

• Love 2

It was a fun episode to watch.  I think I will skip all the Hildi ones from now on.

In Vern's room - didn't they say that one problem the teachers had was getting blocked at the microwaves?  If they are all in the same place, that's going to be worse.  I hate clear glass tables - they get dirty easily, people run into them, and if they are not connected to the base, it is easy to tip them over.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

It was a fun episode to watch.  I think I will skip all the Hildi ones from now on.

In Vern's room - didn't they say that one problem the teachers had was getting blocked at the microwaves?  If they are all in the same place, that's going to be worse.  I hate clear glass tables - they get dirty easily, people run into them, and if they are not connected to the base, it is easy to tip them over.

Yeah, the main cafeteria where I work (which is a warehouse so it has set break times for the warehouse staff) has basically a wall of microwaves in two layers. I don't use them (we have break rooms upstairs in the office area and I purposely eat after the warehouse lunch so if I have to go to the cafeteria there's no line) but during the main lunch break it gets pretty crowded over there. The upstairs break rooms have two micros each and they are at opposite ends of a long counter with the sink in the middle so you're not blocking what most people want to get to. I suspect that has more to do with outlet location than anyone actually thinking about the best layout, though. (I also go to the quieter break room because I don't want to eat with my coworkers most days but hey, to each his/her/their own.)

• Love 1

I also wondered about that wall of small appliances.  I didn't hear anyone say anything about the state of the wiring.  I normally have no problems with electricity in my apartment but I can't use the toaster while the microwave is running because it flips the circuit breaker.  I doubt that the wall outlets in the breakroom are wired to accommodate all those heat-producing appliances running at once.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, mlp said:

I also wondered about that wall of small appliances.  I didn't hear anyone say anything about the state of the wiring.  I normally have no problems with electricity in my apartment but I can't use the toaster while the microwave is running because it flips the circuit breaker.  I doubt that the wall outlets in the breakroom are wired to accommodate all those heat-producing appliances running at once.

My mom and I couldn't dry our hair at the same time when I was a kid (her in her bathroom, me in my bedroom across the hall) without knocking out that whole end of the house. Hopefully they checked on the wiring before putting everything together?

• Love 1

I also have reservations about the glass-topped tables in Vern's room.

They should give the school custodians a raise, because they're the ones who will have to clean those tables.

It was a fun episode for me to watch, since my daughter attended that elementary school at one time.  

• Love 4
5 hours ago, meep.meep said:

In Vern's room - didn't they say that one problem the teachers had was getting blocked at the microwaves? 

Not to mention one of them was up on a top shelf above most average people's head height. Wouldn't want to be taking my hot soup out of that microwave. :S

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I wish they hadn't brought Paige back when they rebooted. She is hands down the worst part of the show for me. If I knew her IRL I'd run every time I saw her coming because she is just exhausting. 

Back during the original run, TS was filming in my town so I went to go watch (with about 20 other neighbors in the area).  After a while, Paige came out to sign autographs and I was shocked by her.  She was far from perky, almost a little snooty.  Very standoffish.  

It was the episode that Hildi screwed all those records on the homeowners wall.  Oy vey.

• Love 5

I enjoyed the episode and liked both results. The humor was funny--Vern making short jokes and Carter reacting when one kid guessed he was 90 with something like "hey, I'm not Ty". It just felt very "these people enjoy each other" and I always like that.

I loved that Carter replaced the flooring. I assumed wrongly when I saw the room that they would not be able to fix the floor which would definitely limit the amount of improvement.

• Love 2

One thing I was wondering about? Way those many years ago when I was in school(back when the dinosaurs wandered the earth) teachers had to eat with us not off in a private teachers lounge. Has that changed?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, suebee12 said:

One thing I was wondering about? Way those many years ago when I was in school(back when the dinosaurs wandered the earth) teachers had to eat with us not off in a private teachers lounge. Has that changed?

my elementary school experience was that way. Teachers ate with us.

Junior high and high school I think they rotated around who had duty at lunch and I really don't know what the rest of them did.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I was wondering about that myself. They didn't eat with us, but we didn't all eat at the same time, either, so all the teachers certainly weren't eating lunch together.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

After a while, Paige came out to sign autographs and I was shocked by her.  She was far from perky, almost a little snooty.  Very standoffish.  

That's interesting. Guess it's hard maintaining that level of obnoxious cheer. For the sake of those around her I'm glad to hear she's not like that all the time though. lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:
7 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I was wondering about that myself. They didn't eat with us, but we didn't all eat at the same time, either, so all the teachers certainly weren't eating lunch together.

Back when I was in middle school (oh so many moons ago) our teachers "monitored" the lunch room on rotation. They didn't eat with us, more kind of walked around making sure everything was okay. I'm assuming then that the others were off somewhere eating and would "monitor" the second lunch break hooligans. lol

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Back when I was in middle school (oh so many moons ago) our teachers "monitored" the lunch room on rotation. They didn't eat with us, more kind of walked around making sure everything was okay. I'm assuming then that the others were off somewhere eating and would "monitor" the second lunch break hooligans. lol

Yeah, they probably had a monitor-rotation thing, too. I don't remember, really. But there were also classes happening during the lunch periods. I guess if it's a small enough school they could have just one lunch time, but it's probably unlikely. Or maybe we're just taking "we all like to eat lunch together" too literally.

• Love 1
On 4/22/2019 at 6:08 PM, ams1001 said:

Yeah, they probably had a monitor-rotation thing, too. I don't remember, really. But there were also classes happening during the lunch periods. I guess if it's a small enough school they could have just one lunch time, but it's probably unlikely. Or maybe we're just taking "we all like to eat lunch together" too literally.

Not every school requires teachers to supervise students at lunch. Some have security staff or aides for the purpose. In my elementary and junior high schools, teachers did not monitor students at lunch. I don’t see why the middle school faculty would find it important to have the lounge seat over 30 if that large a number did not expect to need  the capacity on a regular basis. It was clearly used very differently than the elementary school’s lounge. 

Edited by caitmcg
On 4/21/2019 at 10:43 AM, Mabinogia said:

I like that each room had something the kids did, and while some things might get changed, the beanbag chairs that no adult is going to sit in, or the impossible to keep clean glass table tops, I guarantee those portraits and that push pin wall art will stay. 

I missed the Wayfair bit too and couldn't figure out what in each room would have been from there, mainly because I forgot all about the Wayfair product placement since I didn't see that segment. Guess I could pretty much do without that bit. haha

I had become so sick of Paige during the first run of this show that by the time they booted her as host I was perfectly fine with TS being hostless. When they brought her back for the last season of that run I guess to try and boost ratings it didn't work. Paige was borderline annoying during the first season of this reboot and now with this 2nd season she's worse in some ways then she was originally years ago. Especially the way she's been reassuring and seeming giving pep-talks to Hildi about how good her rooms have been. 🤨

On 4/22/2019 at 6:16 PM, Katherine Kegel said:

Did Carter take some microwaves out of his room?  In the before shot I thought I saw at least 3, but I only saw 1 in the after shots.  Or did he have a wall of microwaves too and I just wasn’t watching closely enough?  

Some of them may not have been working anymore and needed to go. I noticed both rooms had microwaves that had seen better days. Carter could have used the extra budget money to purchase at least a couple new microwaves from the local Walmart or something. There were parts of his teachers lounge that reminded me of the retro room he did awhile back. I don't know if he's in an overall retro mood this season or what. I don't remember him going for styles like that last year. 

• Love 1

I liked the teachers lounges, but agree the glass table tops will be a nightmare to keep clean.    

I never liked Paige.    I actually really liked Alex McLeod, the woman that was the first season host, and was ticked when they booted her and replaced her with Paige.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
On 4/22/2019 at 7:10 PM, kirklandia said:

Three little words - "duty free lunch".

Depends on the teachers' contract and whether a unionized contract or not.  Where I currently teach (SC) middle school teachers eat with their students and high school teachers have rotating lunch duty.

Okay, I know this may sound harsh, but...although teachers love their students, it doesn't necessarily mean they want student art in the lunchroom or workroom as that is what we are surrounded by in the classrooms, hallways, etc.  Also, many of us don't want hard to keep clean areas when we have 20 minutes for lunch (when we get lunch).

I noticed there were fewer tables in Carter's room once they were finished: there were originally four tables there and at the reveal there were only two plus the low coffee table.  

Overall I liked this episode.  Maybe my favorite of the season?  All the participants were upbeat and I truly believe that Vern and Carter tried to please the teachers with their designs.  Very noticeable that Hildi wasn't one of the designers...

• Love 3
7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I liked the teachers lounges, but agree the glass table tops will be a nightmare to keep clean.    

I never liked Paige.    I actually really liked Alex McLeod, the woman that was the first season host, and was ticked when they booted her and replaced her with Paige.   

I never liked McLeod, I thought she was a very boring host, at least Paige has lots of energy

10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I never liked Paige. I actually really liked Alex McLeod, the woman that was the first season host, and was ticked when they booted her and replaced her with Paige.   

I was a bigger fan of Alex too. I think Paige has too much forced perkiness. But she was hired in the era of perky perkiness when morning newscasters were taking tons of adderall and chewing nicotine gum just to force that perkiness.

3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I noticed there were fewer tables in Carter's room once they were finished: there were originally four tables there and at the reveal there were only two plus the low coffee table.  

Didn't he have the beanbag poufs too. It was a better looking room than the before but much less functional.

• Love 1