Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/6/2017 at 10:32 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Strong Woman and PC Principal give into temptation. Loved them using Butters as their third wheel.

Simpsons did it.

I thought the description “splatty tomato” for the rotten tomato logo was really cute.  I loved the kids’ tragic 80s playlists.  (That was relatable because it happens to me when I turn on Sirius sometimes.)  And this was a good burn:

“Remember that they can do to you what they did to Kathy Griffin.”

”Make her not funny for 30 years?”

Some points off for all the vomiting.  I HATE when shows do that because I’m hypersensitive,  and it makes me sick. 

• Love 5

Season 21 was such a great season but the season finale episode was pretty weak and they didn't even wrap things up. I guess they're going to go back to the continuity format that they had on Season 20. Sigh.

I even looked up Season 21 just to be sure if episode 10 was the final or one of the last (13 eps per season would be better) but no.. it's the season finale.

• Love 1
On 12/6/2017 at 10:36 PM, Galileo908 said:

Also, it seems that Stan gets his puking habits not from Randy but from Sharon.

When was the last time Stan blew chunks? Also, I think Sharon puking on Randy was payback for him vomiting Member Berries on her last season.

What happened to Terrance and Phillip? My headcanon: they died of old age ten seconds before Kyle abandoned the studio.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Philip said:

Season 21 was such a great season but the season finale episode was pretty weak and they didn't even wrap things up. I guess they're going to go back to the continuity format that they had on Season 20. Sigh.

Heidi dumping Eric was closure of a long-term plot. They can't get rid of President Garrison because it doesn't match our election cycle. So really the only unresolved bit is the war with Canada. Which - odd as it is to say - I can almost forget happened. Kyle basically started it solo, with very little build-up. It happened at the end of the episode, and this was about the President hiding over his approval ratings. There was talk about Canada being mad and Ike finding him, but no real repercussions like Canada attacking, a draft, or any real sense of war.

So my problem is less that the last episode left it unresolved, and more that the second-to-last episode casually threw in a big war for no reason.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:08 PM, ganesh said:

I like how Bob White went to the "You think Hilary would have been better?" a few times.

That brought me back to every conversation I've had that devolved to

"I swear, I'm going to lock you in a room and make you watch every episode of the Apprentice and then Celebrity Apprentice."

"You think Hilary would have been better?"

• Love 1

Stupid question: If a nuke is dropped, would people be flying around like that? I would've just thought those closest to impact would be vaporized. Also, I kinda expected Matt & Trey to be all, "Casualties weren't that great. These are Canadians, after all." My frame of reference -- flawed as it might have been -- were these credits for the anime Kill la Kill, starting at 0:52. I figured the Toronto nuke was more figurative. But nope . .. . lots and lots of dead Canadians, and Ike is the only Broflofsky (sp?) without blood on his hands  . . . as far as I can remember

On 12/3/2017 at 10:17 PM, rmontro said:

I never liked Terrence and Phillip to begin with.  The only time I ever enjoyed them was in the full length movie, their musical number about "Uncle _____".

I don't think we were ever supposed to like them. As you may know, they came about as a joke because early critics said South Park was nothing but fart jokes. That it's stupid but all the kids love it is kind of the point.

Which is why I think aging them up made perfect sense. It's a one-note joke that has gotten old. 

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:50 AM, Amarsir said:

I don't think we were ever supposed to like them. As you may know, they came about as a joke because early critics said South Park was nothing but fart jokes. That it's stupid but all the kids love it is kind of the point.

Which is why I think aging them up made perfect sense. It's a one-note joke that has gotten old. 

I always thought it was a send-up of shows that were popular when I was a kid, like "You Can't Do That On Television".  That was a Canadian show, and full of "potty" type humor.

• Love 2

Here's another WatchMojo bit; this time, it's joke from the show that crossed the line. Can you name number one? Put it this way: the focal point of the Family Guy-based episodes and "200"/"201"? Came in third.

• Love 1

Found this episode hilarious, especially the southern flag wavers. 

My mom has complained about the anti-flag rhetoric with the typical "its part of my heritage!"

My mom's family is from Kentucky.  While its thought of as a southern state, it was actually a border state, neutral at the beginning of the war and under union control most of the war. 

And my mom grew up in Indiana.  Again not the best reputation in terms of diversity, but it was on the Union side in the war. 

So not sure what heritage she is speaking of and the point being, yes I thought too "Why are these Colorado people waving a southern flag?"  Its more about white people not liking change than actual southern heritage. 

Loved hiring the out of work guys to replace Alexa/Siri as well.  And Randy with his "lets knock down this wall and create an open concept" as the idea for everything

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:12 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Found this episode hilarious, especially the southern flag wavers. 

My mom has complained about the anti-flag rhetoric with the typical "its part of my heritage!"

My mom's family is from Kentucky.  While its thought of as a southern state, it was actually a border state, neutral at the beginning of the war and under union control most of the war. 

And my mom grew up in Indiana.  Again not the best reputation in terms of diversity, but it was on the Union side in the war. 

So not sure what heritage she is speaking of and the point being, yes I thought too "Why are these Colorado people waving a southern flag?"  Its more about white people not liking change than actual southern heritage. 

Loved hiring the out of work guys to replace Alexa/Siri as well.  And Randy with his "lets knock down this wall and create an open concept" as the idea for everything

I live in a state that was never anything other  than 100% union, yet people here will wave confederate flags in support/sympathy because they believe that history is being erased.  I completely get where you're coming from.

It's totally like this show to have a school shooting and no one acts like anything is different. Except for Sharon. Well, and Mackey. Getting the SWAT team to shoot the wrong kid had me dying.

Cartman is more pissed that cheating off Token didn't work out for him this time over anything else. Of course. And of course he's tying it in to seeing Black Panther. Or if his outfit was anything to go by, Jessica Jones, with Token as his Kilgrave.

I figured arming Butters with an AR-15 wouldn't end well, but I was wrong, I loved seeing him just open fire on no one in particular.

Well, Stan got shot, and of course no one cared. This was one of the darkest episodes in YEARS and I am here for it.  There's gotta be more to this.

• Love 5

I was totally on Sharon's side. There's gotta be something wrong with the town. Could it be the member berries?

Randy's attempt at romance was pretty cute.

It was good to see the old Cartman being a racist idiot and not obsessing about Heidi. I missed that.

I'm eager to find out what happens this week and whether the season will be serialized or not. I'm sure Stan is okay though.

• Love 4

Theme: School Shootings

Real Theme: Every adult in South Park except for Sharon being a moron; Cartman trying to incriminate Token for something that stemmed from getting burned trying to cheat off him.

@Galileo908 is right . . . this was dark. And yet still so funny. I mean, Randy's attempts at saying "She's having her period" in Charades-speak? Wow. Seriously, any episode with Randy in the front can wind up sucking ("Bloody Mary," anyone?) This one didn't. And I don't think I've seen Sharon reach Sheila-level levels of anger. Oh, and Stan got capped. I really hope that doesn't carry through to the other episodes.

Cartman is still Cartman, and he'll burn more time on a tangent than study for a math quiz, in a deluded fog of his own self-importance. I don't hate anyone who didn't like Black Panther. It's a free country. But the little fat fuck would not like it. I'm also surprised Token hasn't tried laying Cartman out, like in the end of "Christian Rock Hard." On the other hand, the facial expressions make up for it.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Could it be the member berries?

That would be perfect, but I don't know if bringing them back will work out so well. If so, I hope it's finally going somewhere this time.

11 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Cartman is still Cartman, and he'll burn more time on a tangent than study for a math quiz, in a deluded fog of his own self-importance. I don't hate anyone who didn't like Black Panther. It's a free country. But the little fat fuck would not like it. I'm also surprised Token hasn't tried laying Cartman out, like in the end of "Christian Rock Hard." On the other hand, the facial expressions make up for it.

Cartman has gotten the crap kicked out of him and STILL wouldn't learn a lesson, Token's realized it'd be moot at this point.

• Love 2

Oh my god they killed Stan ! 

Curious to see how much serialized this season will be...

Kinda wondering as well what type of Cartman we'll get as the season unfolds. I somehow enjoyed seing a more vulnerable part of him with Heidi, but would be pretty nice to have him more balanced towards his typical older self ! 

5 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

This was one of the darkest episodes in YEARS and I am here for it. 

Agreed.  It was an appropriate indictment of how the American public in a collective sense has reacted with a shrug to our national shame that so many innocent children are being gunned down in their schools and nothing is done about it but to install metal detectors like they showed.  Poor Sharon.  This episode made me very sad.

• Love 5

Randy FTW. He cracks me up without fail. I was surprised they didn't touch on the mantra of 'thoughts and prayers'.

Mackey flipping out in the background during the shooting was pretty funny.

Happy to see Heidi wasn't around and Cartman getting back to business as usual.

• Love 4

I also think they were conflating school shootings with all mass-shootings for the purposes of the story.   It does seem like, as a society, we kind of shrug now when it comes to mass-shootings, whether because they are perceived as (or are) more commonplace or because we've all just come to expect milquetoast responses like "thoughts and prayers" from those who might actually be able to make a difference.

That sort of aligns with how Sharon couldn't understand why more people weren't upset about the shootings.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 3

I really cracked up at Sharon at the the therapist office. When he started talking weird, I was not expecting Randy to be outside the window gesturing.

what's with the #cancelsouthpark? Are they trying to get canceled?

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I really cracked up at Sharon at the the therapist office. When he started talking weird, I was not expecting Randy to be outside the window gesturing.

I actually feel like it might be time. The schedule they keep during a season is insane, and it does seem like they are running out of creative ideas for this show. Perhaps it's time for them to do something fresh. Although I did enjoy parts of this episode. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I thought it was terrible. I understand the concept of showing how school shootings have become commonplace, but conflating that with PMS/menopause just didn't work for me - especially during a week when women and sexual assault is the main news story - I didn't need to see Sharon apologizing to Randy at the end.

And when they ended with the hashtag, I wondered if all the episodes this season would be designed to be purposefully crappy and opaque to further their "cause" to get canceled. What a disservice to their fans if that is the case.

I also have no idea what was going on with the Cartman storyline. Is it a thing that people are afraid to admit they don't like Black Panther? So what? I was wondering what analogy I was missing there and maybe there just wasn't one.

Anyway, super disappointed. I would have liked to see a riff on Kavanaugh, or at least some take on sexual assault and accusations. Weak, Trey and Matt. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Another thought: I thought Sharon no longer had periods after her Aunt Flo stopped coming to visit. #SpookyFish

I thought that, too.

1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

but conflating that with PMS/menopause just didn't work for me - especially during a week when women and sexual assault is the main news story - I didn't need to see Sharon apologizing to Randy at the end.

Yeah, this was where the episode rubbed me the wrong way. Randy might've done dumb things in the past, but I felt this was the dumbest, most tone deaf he's ever been.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

I thought it was terrible. I understand the concept of showing how school shootings have become commonplace, but conflating that with PMS/menopause just didn't work for me - especially during a week when women and sexual assault is the main news story - I didn't need to see Sharon apologizing to Randy at the end.

I thought that was part of their “statement” with the episode (but maybe I give it too much credit for being deep?):  Sharon is the one who is right—a blasé attitude about mass shootings is incredibly messed up.  But everyone in the episode gaslights her, especially Randy, and that helps explain how you can only rage against the machine for so long until you can cave to the exhaustion of it:  people, especially women, are supposed to go along to get along, and if they cause trouble, it’s blamed on PMSing and other misogynistic tropes instead of listening to the concern.

To that end, the first thing that I thought when I saw the #cancelsouthpark hashtag was that it evoked #metoo.  I don’t know if that is where they are going as a theme for the season, but I saw this episode as supportive of the possibility.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 3
On 9/27/2018 at 8:49 PM, Moxie Cat said:

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up or complain about the PMS/menopause subplot.  South Park has traditionally made it a point to offend pretty much everyone.  Maybe that's what the #cancelsouthpark bit is about.  Maybe this season is going to be about them trying to offend as many people as they can.  For that matter, I'm surprised no one was offended by the school shooting plot.  I realize it was all satire, but you'd think someone wouldn't get it.

Even if it was in poor taste, and I hate to say it, but Randy's reaction was something I'm sure a lot of men could relate to.

On 9/26/2018 at 10:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

Cartman is more pissed that cheating off Token didn't work out for him this time over anything else. Of course. And of course he's tying it in to seeing Black Panther. Or if his outfit was anything to go by, Jessica Jones, with Token as his Kilgrave.

He was definitely dressing as Jessica Jones, because they were playing very Jessica Jones-like theme music when they showed him in the jacket.  But I just don't get Token's connection to Kilgrave, or how Cartman/Token would correspond to Jones/Kilgrave.  

By the way, Cartman made an error in this episode:  He said Black Panther made $1.3 billion domestic, which is not true.  That is the worldwide total, it made $700 million domestic.  I liked Black Panther, by the way.  Even the rhinos.

• Love 2

Only South Park could make children constantly dying in school shootings funny. Well done.

I have to agree wwith Cartman here, Black Panther was mediocre as far as Marvel movies go. Good popcorn flick to be sure, but not much substance. Also I thought it was really racist, but most black people didn't seem to think so, so what do I know.

On 27.9.2018 at 4:35 AM, Spartan Girl said:

I was totally on Sharon's side. There's gotta be something wrong with the town. Could it be the member berries?

Nah, Sharon was just on her rag and thus unreasonable! /s

Of course you were on Sharon's side. It would be really fucked up if you weren't. The reaction of town of South Park is a parody of how nobody cares about school shootings anymore. Remember Colombine? How that was a thing for months? Now you have shootings like that all the time and nobody cares. The smaller ones don't even make it into the news anymore. If there are enough dead it might be a thing for a week.

On 27.9.2018 at 11:07 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I think they are trying to co-opt the sure to be happening twitter shit storm for themselves. #cancelsouthpark !

On 28.9.2018 at 2:49 AM, Moxie Cat said:

It was meant to show how ridiculous the whole situation is. Sharon was the only one in the right here and everybody else dismissed her just being hormonal. Can't you see that the south park guys are on your side here? Does everything have to be "problematic"?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Miles said:

Can't you see that the south park guys are on your side here?

Please don't make assumptions about "my side" - or about the South Park guys' side, for that matter. I see a comment upthread about how "Randy's reaction was something I'm sure a lot of men could relate to." So don't also assume that they were trying to say that they were on women's side - I can imagine some guys interpreting this episode as "yeah, women are irrational that time of the month!" and missing the larger point. (Or conflating Sharon's hormones with the desire for gun control.)

So along those lines, why couldn't Sharon, for example, have simply been the only person in town who was upset about school shootings? Did Sharon have to have some underlying female issue to be upset about school shootings? Why couldn't she just have been upset, full stop, and no one else understood why? None of the other women came to her defense, after all - nobody else was, um, on the same clock?

By the way, it's OK if I have an opinion that I didn't the way it was executed, and at the same time, that doesn't mean I was offended. Please. It's South Park. There are bigger things in the world to be offended about.

I really hope this is about misunderstanding and overreaction, because Priest Maxie tried to change Catholic doctrine to prevent sexual assault. Almost killed himself going through levels of Pitfall to boot.

• Love 1

A very special relationship has developed between Butters and the Parish Priest. When the town finds the church doors locked and no sign of the pair, they call in the Catholic Church.

Airs October 3, 2018.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:54 AM, crookedjackson44 said:

That was awful!  Comedy Central replayed the whole series in the past few weeks.  It lets me compare the much better, much funnier shows of yesteryear to this shitstorm.  South Park has raised very few laughs in the past few seasons.

Agreed.  I was really hoping they'd go back to the old format where each show was something different, and we didn't have this long overdone storyline with PC Principal, and all of that stuff.