Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Dang, I have to remember to check the site on Mondays. I was thinking that the guys would break from current events, given that they don't want to go near the biggest topic in the past few years. The big question is whether we'll be getting another season-long arc. I'm good either way, truth be told.

• Love 1

The boys screwing with Alexa is what South Park is all about. And then Cartman falls in love with it a la Her. Alexa is a machine that will obey his every command. Heidi is...a person. With feelings. And of course Cartman can't deal with that. I missed you, show.

"They took er jerbs!"
"Now playing Derk Er Derr by Joni Mitchell."
Lost it.

Man, loved all the redneck idiots doing their thing. I'll admit, I thought the bits where they guy waved the confederate flag were genius, as was the rednecks replacing the Alexas.

• Love 3

Cartman and the guys making Alexa talk nasty = GOLD.

Honeymoon is over for Cartman and Heidi. We all knew it wouldn't last through his total narcissism.

I'm glad that Matt and Trey aren't staying away from all social issues just because they won't do Trump anymore. They managed to nail Charlottesville's Nazi rally perfectly, mocking the Alt-Rights fear of "replacement" and their sense of entitlement. Those guys finally got jerrrrrrrbs but felt like they deserved better ones.

Good to see Randy take center stage again. And no Gerald in sight! As far as I'm concerned, he can stay gone for a while -- unless he's going to get what he deserves. 

• Love 4

If we're getting another season-long story, I'm voting for an episode about the goings-on inside Sharon's head. She looks to be in another world. I don't think Randy is doing anything with her intentionally . . . we still have Gerald as the alpha shitbag at the moment. Maybe she's still got Member Berry vomit in her system?

Heidi is the best girlfriend ever, but she might have the absolute worst taste. You'd think somebody would have told her that Cartman was never a lost cause because nobody wanted to find him to begin with. If we're going story-long, I'm thinking she might be a suicide. That would give Cartman heartache . . . for about ten seconds.

Randy is still Randy, as he ventures forth based on his need to destroy walls. South Park is still South Park. Rednecks as substitute Alexas (what are those things called?) was pretty genius. One thing: Colorado was never in the Confederacy, was it? I don't even think it was a state during the Civil War. Is it a refuge for Southern-born rednecks? On the other hand, South Park did hold at least one Civil War reenactment, so maybe things are different in that world.

• Love 2

My Alexa was going off the whole episode.  The only time she actually responded was during the Alexa/Siri/Google round.  She repeated the hairy balls part.

And the new game.  South Park. Fractured But Whole. 

Just the best.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

One thing: Colorado was never in the Confederacy, was it? I don't even think it was a state during the Civil War. Is it a refuge for Southern-born rednecks? On the other hand, South Park did hold at least one Civil War reenactment, so maybe things are different in that world.

Colorado wasn't even a state during the civil war, but yes, it was under Union control.  But (beyond that the show is satire) the Confederate flag has since become a bit of a generic emblem for racists and disgruntled working class whites everywhere in the US (e.g., the hardcore racist Iowa congressman Steve King, who has a Confederate flag on his desk despite representing Iowa, which was a Union state).

As someone who is sick of all the house flipping shows, I laughed at Randy's "take out this wall and have an open concept" design plan. "Little People Flipping Big Houses", lol.

Also the guy saying his soup was hot and the other guy cooling it down by waving his Confederate flag over it made me giggle.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dosodog said:

My Alexa was going off the whole episode.  The only time she actually responded was during the Alexa/Siri/Google round.  She repeated the hairy balls part.

Mine responded all over the place, including adding "kitty chips" to my shopping list. I imagine Trey & Matt were delighted knowing that would happen.

I feel bad for Heidi, but it feels right to have Cartman back to his true self. We never really got an explanation last season for his move to SJW, and they only really back-ended by implying Heidi had turned him into a mature person.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

If we're getting another season-long story, I'm voting for an episode about the goings-on inside Sharon's head. She looks to be in another world. I don't think Randy is doing anything with her intentionally . . . we still have Gerald as the alpha shitbag at the moment. Maybe she's still got Member Berry vomit in her system?

Heidi is the best girlfriend ever, but she might have the absolute worst taste. You'd think somebody would have told her that Cartman was never a lost cause because nobody wanted to find him to begin with. If we're going story-long, I'm thinking she might be a suicide. That would give Cartman heartache . . . for about ten seconds.

Randy is still Randy, as he ventures forth based on his need to destroy walls. South Park is still South Park. Rednecks as substitute Alexas (what are those things called?) was pretty genius. One thing: Colorado was never in the Confederacy, was it? I don't even think it was a state during the Civil War. Is it a refuge for Southern-born rednecks? On the other hand, South Park did hold at least one Civil War reenactment, so maybe things are different in that world.

I live in a state that was FIRMLY Union, but many here fly rebel flags because they feel that history is being erased, blah blah blah.

• Love 1

This was brilliant! For every one South Park joke or idea that kind of misses the mark for me, at least 10 more work for me better than the humor and themes found on any other comedy, animated or otherwise. Sharp, clever, and that perfect SP blend of wildly silly, fun escapism and right-on-target truth and insight. I am so glad it's back! 

• Love 1

I thought this episode was rather meh. Maybe it's me. I really never like cartman centric episodes very much, but usually Randy will entertain me to no end. This week he was a bit too tame, imo.

17 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

"They took er jerbs!"
"Now playing Derk Er Derr by Joni Mitchell."
Lost it.

When you put that song title into google it gives you this. Can't really say the South park guys were wrong:

17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

She's just not good on camera. That was pretty clear, imo.

Also they aren't doing an arc this season, which after last season is probably for the best.

3 hours ago, Proteus said:

Anyone have a hard time hearing the dialogue in this episode at times? The music was so loud. I couldn't even hear what Cartman said in his last scene.

Heidi's last scene with Cartman's mom was especially loud. I half expected her to do a "Hey Jared, turn down the volume" against that, like they did earlier in the bar. 

24 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

Heidi's last scene with Cartman's mom was especially loud. I half expected her to do a "Hey Jared, turn down the volume" against that, like they did earlier in the bar. 

Did you have a problem too with what Cartman said at the end about Heidi?

Oh yeah - plenty of Confederate flag waving rednecks and a sizable KKK contingent in my state north of the Mason-Dixon Line too. I imagine they're everywhere.

I'm going to have to look up the note about Matt and Trey refusing to do Trump - I hadn't known that. On one hand, it's a super-easy target; on the other, it's also a cop-out and ignorant of the current world.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Proteus said:

Anyone have a hard time hearing the dialogue in this episode at times? The music was so loud. I couldn't even hear what Cartman said in his last scene.

Agreed. I was only able to "hear" what Cartman said because of the close-captioning.

Out of all the characters to choose from to represent the world's feelings towards North Korea and President Douche, of course it's Tweek. Also, I love that Tweek and Craig are still together. And yeah, of course the show uses him to cover fidget spinners. It's easy to be paranoid when the president tweets threats about you.

Yeah, it's so goddamn hard to avoid President Douche, but the past few weeks are a goldmine for this show. Not unlike the president to dare North Korea to bomb us thanks to cupcakes.

Cartman is so desperate for attention and validation that he sings about threatening suicide, and of course thinking a vigil for a dead kid was stealing his thunder. Okay, this show is so dark that I laughed at a little kid getting run over by an Autopia car. How many kids died in this episode? I counted at least six on screen. And of course Kenny was among the memorials at the end.

Oh man, the last song was great. Just put down your phone...especially if you're the president. President-related stress kills, folks.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 5

I know this might sound weird to say about the show that used to kill Kenny all the time, but watching all those poor little kids get run over by those idiots reading 45's tweets was too disturbing for me.

Tweek pretty much summed up how I've been reacting to recent current events. But I loved how the end result was the song about putting down their phone...directed to a certain someone. Heh. I guess Trey and Matt couldn't resist keeping quiet forever.

The Cartman/Heidi saga continues. Cartman has really reached a new level of twisted. Dump him, Heidi.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

That was SO GOOD.  It's terrible but I lol'd with all those children being mowed down by distracted drivers (including the carnage at the amusement park where bumper car drivers were also getting distracted), how ... ahem... "Garrison" kept baiting an attack on Tweek, and the "sign language interpreter" at the end.  My gosh, that was great.  The songs were pretty darn catchy, too.

One question:  why were Craig and Tweak together and couple-y?  The last episode I remember is the one where they were being shipped together despite the fact that they said that they were not gay (and then later, the mayor noting Craig was gay in the Whole Foods recruitment episode).  But they actually seemed like they were a couple in this episode.  It was sweet that Craig finally understood what Tweek needed at the end.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

One question:  why were Craig and Tweak together and couple-y?  The last episode I remember is the one where they were being shipped together despite the fact that they said that they were not gay (and then later, the mayor noting Craig was gay in the Whole Foods recruitment episode).  But they actually seemed like they were a couple in this episode.  It was sweet that Craig finally understood what Tweek needed at the end.

Yeah, they pretty much became a couple after that episode.

And Cartman's song at least was a parody of this one by Logic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cycUHgg0zzU

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

Wow. I'm guessing the guys won't be using the President directly, which I understand. If that gets opened up fully, you'd wind up with Vice President Jenner, Member Berries, and all sorts of agita. Also, if the guys wanted to separate Garrison from the president, I would totally buy 45 seeing Tweek's act of kindness and tweeting about how Tweek can fuck them up. Tweek can't fuck anybody up except himself. Sadly, Tweek is a character on a show where exaggeration is the norm, and he would feel justified in his paranoia. I can live with Calm Tweek, though. He seems nice. Maybe he can button his shirt properly.

Of course we'd have an episode with distracted drivers killing kids with all sorts of automobiles. And Cartman would cry "Suicide" over and over, even though he doesn't have the balls. And, of course, the boys would get a laugh over Cartman's wuss phone call while he's standing five feet away. The big question: WTF, Heidi?!? She's way too nice for this show. I like to think she's playing a long con on Carrtman. I mean, he was so upfront about being an attention whore, and she helped. Nobody can be that nice, right?

I typed in the "President's" address, and there is an account up for it. No posts showed yet.

ETA: I like how nobody learned the right lesson in the end. Not looking at the phone while driving? No . . . it's about not keeping up with the president while you're driving.

• Love 2

Waaaaay better than the first episode. This had the right amount of Cartman, the first episode had too much, imo

I didn't even remember that Tweak and Craig were together. When did that happen? I just remembered that all the girls shipped them and that they didn't like it. Guess they got together in the end though.

Matt's and Trey's resolution to not do politics this season really didn't hold for long. Wondering when turd sandwich will stop by in South Park again. I miss Garisson. He was always delightfully batshit crazy.

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The Cartman/Heidi saga continues. Cartman has really reached a new level of twisted. Dump him, Heidi.

In one of the first seasons he fed a boy his parents. Threatening to kill yourself is quite a few levels of twisted below that incident.

2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: I like how nobody learned the right lesson in the end. Not looking at the phone while driving? No . . . it's about not keeping up with the president while you're driving.

No, it's about the president not tweeting, so people don't get distracted.

I also loved in the song where all kinds of people pledged to put down their phone should they ever become president and when Hillary did it the chorus went "no one cares!". Because that train has well and truly left the station.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 5

I too was a bit surprised that Tweek and Craig are officially canon, but whatever.

What I loved is how Craig's reaction to Tweek was  exactly like how my parents react every time I get pissed off or freaked out by Douche. But in the end, Heidi (clever girl!) made Craig realize that the best way to help someone is to simply let them worry and empathize with them instead of just telling them to knock it off.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

I laughed at the first tweet that said Tweek was ****ing nuts.  That made me think it was still Garrison as President but am unsure as the episode went on.

Tweek is still a goldmine and is more twitchy than ever.  Him and Craig were fun together.

I thought the show did a great job showing how crazy you can make yourself by following the latest news on the internet.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Miles said:

Matt's and Trey's resolution to not do politics this season really didn't hold for long. Wondering when turd sandwich will stop by in South Park again. I miss Garisson. He was always delightfully batshit crazy.

I never took their statements as them not doing politics at all, so much as them not being beholden to it week-to-week. Although I am a little surprised that they did North Korea a week after "tuk ur jerbs". My expectation was for more self-contained kids episodes, which we haven't gotten yet.

Great subtleties in the song with sign language, Turd Sandwich (and the chorus's response), and Kenny's photo.

• Love 2

I loved this episode. It actually wasn't a send-up of White supremacists, but rather a criticism of the way the upper-middle classes (as exemplified by Randy) are willing to live with White supremacy, as long as it's presented or dressed up in a certain way. Confederate flag throw pillows indeed. Overall, I'd have to give it 9/10, needed more shiplap.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

It's terrible but I lol'd with all those children being mowed down by distracted drivers (including the carnage at the amusement park where bumper car drivers were also getting distracted),

Oh I was laughing. I laughed when Jenner ran over everyone. 

21 hours ago, Miles said:

I didn't even remember that Tweak and Craig were together. When did that happen?

I didn't either, but I think that was the joke because they were so explicit about it. "How's my homosexual son?" I actually liked that it wasn't a big deal with anyone. 

14 hours ago, benteen said:

I thought the show did a great job showing how crazy you can make yourself by following the latest news on the internet.

I think they were saying that presidential policy shouldn't be tweeted. Tweek was specifically freaking out because the president was tweeting about him to North Korea. All the people who ran over the kids were on their phones reading the president's tweets. 

• Love 3
On 9/20/2017 at 10:39 PM, Peace 47 said:

On 9/21/2017 at 1:20 AM, Miles said:

I didn't even remember that Tweak and Craig were together. When did that happen?

I think it was either at the end of the shipping episode or the Whole Foods one where Craig and Tweek sort of went "screw it" - via a look and body language - and decided they really did like being together. I remember them holding hands and walking down the street together. They may have even walked into a sunset... on this show, I thought that was pretty much a sign that yup, they're a couple. I remembered thinking awww... and so I was pleasantly surprised that they were still together in this episode. And even more pleasantly surprised that they are kind of adorable together and everyone is so accepting and blase about it. I hope we see more of them.

A lot happened in this episode, but Matt and Trey managed to tie everything together really well, in my opinion. I definitely enjoyed this episode.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

A lot happened in this episode, but Matt and Trey managed to tie everything together really well, in my opinion. I definitely enjoyed this episode.

I liked the ep, but in both eps this season I haven't felt the tying together at all. I  keep seeing several different potential messages that are never carried out to fruition. This episode included Trump stop tweeting, people either not caring enough or caring too much about what he tweets, suicide as an option by an increasingly self-absorbed society, a rather understanding and nice subtheme about a healthy relationship that also happened to be gay, something about how anyone in a relationship can see themselves as a victim (Cartman) and so you should distance yourself from that, and still some vague commentary about white people and privilege. Why is Cartman being such a douche to Heidi? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ottis said:

I liked the ep, but in both eps this season I haven't felt the tying together at all. I  keep seeing several different potential messages that are never carried out to fruition. This episode included Trump stop tweeting, people either not caring enough or caring too much about what he tweets, suicide as an option by an increasingly self-absorbed society, a rather understanding and nice subtheme about a healthy relationship that also happened to be gay, something about how anyone in a relationship can see themselves as a victim (Cartman) and so you should distance yourself from that, and still some vague commentary about white people and privilege. Why is Cartman being such a douche to Heidi? 

Have you MET Cartman? Asking why he's an asshole at this point is just like asking why the world is round. He just is.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ottis said:

You're right... I should have clarified. When I said that I thought that Trey and Matt tied everything together, I meant the action as it is... in other words how they tied the Cartman / Heidi arc in with Craig and Tweek and how they tied the tweeting and Tweek freaking out over the tweeting in with the distracted driving arc. Messages are a different story... and I don't know, maybe intentional that they are all over the place? I may be an old fuddy duddy, but I find that a lot of social things today are somewhat distracted and the message isn't always clear. And often people don't always say what they actually mean. Now of course, this has probably always been so, but now there's just so much of everything everywhere, it's even more confusing.

What I kind of got as an overall theme here is that everyone is so concerned about their own thing - cause, opinion, need for attention, etc. - that they aren't stopping to pay attention to other stuff that could also be important, and so may be running roughshod over people - either literally with their car or over their feelings / emotions - so stopping to pay attention and compromise can lead to good collaborative efforts. In this case, a more understanding relationship - Craig and Tweek - or figuring out what the real problem is - Trump's careless tweets causing everyone else to go crazy or be careless, because if he can do it ehn who cares if they do too..., so stop being such a bad example / role model Trump! Okay that last part was mostly me being a smartass. ; )

• Love 2
On 9/21/2017 at 7:20 AM, benteen said:

I laughed at the first tweet that said Tweek was ****ing nuts.  That made me think it was still Garrison as President but am unsure as the episode went on.

Tweek is still a goldmine and is more twitchy than ever.  Him and Craig were fun together.

I read those tweets in Garrison voice in my head when I saw it.  They literally picked the perfect character for that.

• Love 1
On 9/22/2017 at 1:22 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Have you MET Cartman? Asking why he's an asshole at this point is just like asking why the world is round. He just is.

Even Cartman always has a specific motivation. He isn't an asshole to be an asshole. He wants something, or is annoyed at something, or has a problem with a race or whatever. I wonder if his comment at the end, about how anyone can view themselves as a victim in a relationship, is a clue. I don't watch every episode (I didn't even know he had a girlfriend), but his behavior was pretty consistent and specific to be "just an asshole."

• Love 1

Press release for "Holiday Special" is up.

NEW YORK, September 25, 2017 – An undeniable bond is formed in an all-new episode of South Park entitled “Holiday Special” on Wednesday, September 27 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

In a return to form, a forbidden love story between a white man and a Native American man unfolds. However, the boys story exploits people’s misery for laughs.
4 ½ out of 5 stars. A-

Here's what gets me:  One of the boys has a phone and towel in hand, suggesting that he's making a call and muffling his voice. The funny part? It's Kenny.

• Love 2

Yeah, leave it to Randy to single-handedly try to tear down a Christopher Columbus statue. God, loved how Randy used to dress up as Columbus back in the old days of 2013. And at his wedding.

"I don't care if people get indigenous!"

Yeah, loved the Ancestry.com spoof, everyone wants to find out how not-white they are so they can act like a victim and get away with awfulness. "I'm 21% victim!" Ah, this show.

"Randy I cannot quit you." The Native American falling for Randy was unexpected, yet so hilarious. And it just. kept. going.

The image of Cartman wearing a horse mask is just comedy gold. Also, Kenny finally had lines!

• Love 9

This week: a Randy episode kinda thunks onto the ground. But since it's extra absurd and not that heavy into current events (Plan A would've been about kneeling, but that's so last year), it's actually pretty good. Bonus: no Heidi stuff with Cartman, and he helps rally the boys in a really racist way. Well, "really racist" for the likes of us.

Kenny disguising his voice = comedy. I laughed seeing the promo pic, and I laughed when it played out.

I don't know why I'd do a genetic profiling test. I wouldn't want that to claim victim status. That's what my neuroses are for.

• Love 2

No continuity, just classic South Park insanity. I loved it!

I think this episode can be summed up in only two words: only Randy. Only Randy would go over the top: crapping on Columbus Circle (complete with his own T shirt), dressing like Columbus, making out with a Native American dude to fake a DNA test and claim victim status...

I laughed so hard at "Do NOT post that!" And Shelly's one line: "I don't give a shit about Columbus!"

Loved the boys going batshit over the idea of losing a day off of school.

Kenny's "muffled" voice for the win!

Were the animal masksa reference to The Purge, given how Randy came up with Indigenous Day at the end?

• Love 4

This show has completely gone off the rails.  Last season was a disaster, and this season is no better.  Once upon a time, Randy was a geologist, who would certainly know what the word "indigenous" means.  Now it is certain that any episode that focuses on Randy is terrible.  Early episodes were timeless, dirty, but very funny.  Now with the focus on current events and politics, the ruin of this show seems unstoppable.