Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

saoirse

The InBetween

Recommended Posts

The InBetween is an upcoming American drama television series set to premiere on May 29, 2019 on NBC.

Quote

The InBetween follows Cassie Bishop who was born with a gift, though she may call it a curse. She can see and communicate with the dead, helping them with their unresolved problems … whether she likes it or not. When her longtime friend Det. Tom Hackett and his new partner, former FBI Agent Damien Asante, need help solving a darkly puzzling murder, Cassie agrees to use her abilities. Despite her reluctance, she may have found a way to keep her demons at bay, all while solving some of the city’s most challenging cases.

Cast

  • Harriet Dyer as Cassie Bishop
  • Justin Cornwell as Damien Asante
  • Anne-Marie Johnson as Lt. Swanstrom
  • Cindy Luna as Det. Jacey Vasquez
  • Chad James Buchanan as Will
  • Paul Blackthorne as Det. Tom Hackett

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/20/2019 at 8:52 PM, Kromm said:

"Medium" happened already, so I don't see this being a success.

So did Ghost Whisperer. I will give it a chance mainly because there is nothing else on. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

So, maybe it's because I'm looking for a new fun summer show to watch, but I liked this one. It wasn't perfect, but it was intriguing. 

I was expecting more Cassie and less detective stuff, but maybe they will have it a bit more balanced in future episodes. 

I wasn't expecting a lot, so I was surprised at some things. It took half the episode to get used to Paul Blackthorne speaking in his natural accent.

It won't be hard for me to tune in next week. It did capture my attention more than last summer's Reverie, so that's a good sign for me sticking around for at least a few more episodes. 

  • Love 16

Share this post


Link to post

Harriet Dyer has great lines but what she says do not seem to match with her face...

Well, it’s the pilot, no?  I’m sure she’ll get better!  I like her.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

I always watch new shows in this genre hoping for another 'Medium', but they always end up being 'Ghost Whisperer' (or worse). This one is gorier than GW, but nowhere near as smart as Medium.

9 hours ago, sisterspoon said:

Harriet Dyer has great lines but what she says do not seem to match with her face...

Can't say I heard any great lines, but I agree that she's too young and dewy-eyed for this role. She has no edge.

Also, maybe I missed some exposition, but how did the older male detective come to be so accepting of her visions? I mean, it's Seattle, but really?

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

It was interesting enough.. And I remember Harriet Dyer from Lovechild... Also the detective's wife/girlfriend has the same last name as the main character.. So that's a possible mystery 

  • Love 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

I always watch new shows in this genre hoping for another 'Medium', but they always end up being 'Ghost Whisperer' (or worse). This one is gorier than GW, but nowhere near as smart as Medium.

Can't say I heard any great lines, but I agree that she's too young and dewy-eyed for this role. She has no edge.

Also, maybe I missed some exposition, but how did the older male detective come to be so accepting of her visions? I mean, it's Seattle, but really?

The older white male detective helped raise her.  He told the new detective that after the home visit where he introduced them.   The new detective seemed to accept it pretty quickly though and kept going directly to her even after asked not to by his partner.  

The dinner scene set up the fact that she was raised by two Dads. Did we find out if she was adopted, biologically related to one, or fostered? Not that it really matters yet to the storyline. 

I think Abigail was haunting her because she could see and hear her while her own mother couldn’t.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

The older white male detective helped raise her.  He told the new detective that after the home visit where he introduced them.   The new detective seemed to accept it pretty quickly though and kept going directly to her even after asked not to by his partner.

Yes, I heard the throw-away exposition, but it didn't really explain how that came to be. I also don't understand how a bartender (that's what she does, right?) could afford that nice place-in Seattle, which has some of the highest living costs in the US.

I also wanted some story behind the kid; I thought at first that she was something like the ghost of Cassie Past. Was the kid supposed to be 'moving' objects telekinetically, and did she really kill her baby sister? I guess we'll find out.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

The detective dad said it was a foster situation.  

I thought at first the little girl was a manifestation of the lead as a Child. But then the kid went seriously dark with the pushing the baby over in the bath.  

I imagine that we will get the back story of both the visions and the foster.  I imagine it will be that detective dad has a case where she was a victim or her parents were the victim and she helped solve it. When it was determined she had no family, he and his husband took her in. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

It was an ok show, not great but not horrible. I will give it one or two more episodes.  I have the same issues as others here- the actress is good for the bartender role, but doesn’t carry off the medium role well.  Her father detective speaks too low, too slowly and I had to listen very carefully.  The new detective stole the show. The two sidekick detectives barely raised a blip on my radar.  Also, it was all slightly creepy. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Well, the setting is in Seattle, so I guess I'll stick around for a bit.

As long as they give the fire and police departments a better shake than those other nimrods, I'm okay with it, too.

A lot of mysteries thrown out there, which could be a good thing to carry the show a bit, but I really hope they don't go the 'I know the secret so we'll catch the bad guy in no time' route.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I sort of liked it.  I had an issue with the way they had the lead detective sour about the new guy from the start.  What do you mean you don't have time to break in a new person?  I'd think that a highly qualified professional would be an asset to a team with a tough case.  It's just so cliche.  

But, I hope that things improve and that the writing shows some creativity.  I loved Medium, but, I won't compare this to that. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed it enough, certainly more than last seasons summer genre network show, Reverie. The characters seem more unique and alive, and while "I see dead people" is certainly a plot that we`ve seen before, its something I can get into. 

Its a pilot, so clearly is going to a little rough, especially the main actress. I think she did alright with the episode, but I feel like she might not be quite tough enough for what they are going for. But like I said, its a pilot, she will hopefully get better, because like I said, she wasnt awful. 

Always great seeing Paul Blackthorne, its super weird to hear him speaking with his actual accent. I do also like that the show has some things that do make it stand out from generic network shows, like Cassandra casually having two dads, the little ghost girl having a serious dark side, and the case had some decent twists I didnt see coming. 

From what I can gather, Cassandra was raised by the detective and his I assume husband after something happened to her bio parents, possibly they were murdered and he bonded with her and she was creeping out foster parents, so they took her in. I assume that since she grew up with them, they believe in her powers pretty easily having seen them in action. I am assuming more will be explained later.

More mediums should clearly have business hours. "Alright guys you can bug me about solving your murders, passing notes to lost loves, telling your kids where you buried the gold, taking your dog for a walk, whatever unfinished business crap you have, but only from 1-5 PM Mondays through Thursday. Please make an appointment stat." 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

21 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Always great seeing Paul Blackthorne, its super weird to hear him speaking with his actual accent.

I’ve only ever seen him in one of my all-time favorite Bollywood movies (Lagaan, which everyone should watch), in which he plays the villain. It was nice to see him in something so different. I do appreciate that he’s using his natural accent, though - it gets weird when non-American actors always have to pretend to be American-born and bred because, like, no one in this country actually comes from anywhere else.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have never seen the work of the leads before so I cant comment. I found it interesting enough to stick around a bit. I have seen a lot worse!

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I thought it was slightly better than average for a summer show. So I'll stick around for awhile.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:31 AM, mythoughtis said:

The dinner scene set up the fact that she was raised by two Dads. Did we find out if she was adopted, biologically related to one, or fostered? Not that it really matters yet to the storyline.

Nope, they didn't get into any of that. They have to save something for other episodes. 😉

On 5/30/2019 at 9:44 AM, sempervivum said:

I also wanted some story behind the kid; I thought at first that she was something like the ghost of Cassie Past. Was the kid supposed to be 'moving' objects telekinetically, and did she really kill her baby sister? I guess we'll find out.

She didn't kill the baby sister, she said that the mom got her and put her to bed on her back, and then got all dark about it not really being all that safe. Cassie redirected her anger toward the person who most deserved it.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:09 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I sort of liked it.  I had an issue with the way they had the lead detective sour about the new guy from the start.  What do you mean you don't have time to break in a new person?  I'd think that a highly qualified professional would be an asset to a team with a tough case.  It's just so cliche. 

Cliche, perhaps. But when you're relying on someone who has visions and speaks to the dead, you might be hesitant about bringing someone else on board. I think perhaps the old partner knew about it - and he'll show up in another episode.

12 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I’ve only ever seen him in one of my all-time favorite Bollywood movies (Lagaan, which everyone should watch), in which he plays the villain. It was nice to see him in something so different. I do appreciate that he’s using his natural accent, though - it gets weird when non-American actors always have to pretend to be American-born and bred because, like, no one in this country actually comes from anywhere else.

I first saw Blackthorne in the "Dresden Files," a show that deserved way more than one season. Developed quite the crush on him then. I haven't really seen him in any recurring role since.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I first saw Blackthorne in the "Dresden Files," a show that deserved way more than one season. Developed quite the crush on him then. I haven't really seen him in any recurring role since.

I guess you have never watched Arrow.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, I've wondered about this since I first heard about it, so of course I missed the first episode. I'll look for it tomorrow. I loved Medium, though, I might just watch that again, if it's still on Amazon.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

The ghosts are always talking to her and she gets mad at them and walks right through them. It would be funny if one time somebody talks to her and it is a real human and she gets mad and tries to walk through them as well.

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

I'm watching it now. The girl is obviously a ghost. I hope nothing happens to the baby she's jealous of. 

The acting is a bit stiff, especially from the English guy (and that isn't a slam - I'm English), and the pretty guy who just got into culinary school. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

The relationship between Cassie and Tom - and the fact that it's police cases - distinctly reminded me of Voight and Lindsay on Chicago PD. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

So Cassie's bio mom had the gift too... And her Dr. Daddy treated her mom.. So maybe that's how they ended up taking her in... Interesting way her powers worked this week... She Can block a spirit from her house... and sometimes touching someone can pull up images.. And the images she sees aren't always literal... 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm enjoying the creepiness of this so far. After reading the comments I may watch Medium as well. I'm glad there is something good on this summer. I have been really bored with TV lately.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I really enjoyed the second episode. A lot more Cassie this time around, which is what I enjoyed. Cassie's scenes have worked well and the actress stepped it up in this second episode, compared to the pilot. 

So, Tom's husband Brian is a doctor and taking time off. It sounds like it's health related, with him forgetting what he told Cassie earlier in the scene. So....I'm guessing early-set Alzheimer's or something? 

So, Damien has a girlfriend in a coma. That's interesting, and it'll be interesting to see Cassie talk to her. 

The case of the week was solid. It was pretty clear what happened from the getgo as soon as the husband said that he didn't drive anymore, but it was still tense to see how it played out.

Honestly, this show is actually pretty good, especially for a summer show.

  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Manda317 said:

After reading the comments I may watch Medium as well.

One of my very favorite shows ever-enjoy.

Meanwhile back in The Inbetween, Cassie is still personality-free and the new detective is superhumanly handsome. Cassie seems to be the psychic equivalent of a police dog-the cops matter of factly call her up when they need somebody to sniff out a clue.

Only bright spot in the script: the other bartender says 'Time for Hipster Happy Hour. Get out the mason jars and the pomegranate martinis'. Heh.

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Only bright spot in the script: the other bartender says 'Time for Hipster Happy Hour. Get out the mason jars and the pomegranate martinis'. Heh.

Well they are in Seattle, take what you think about Hipsters and turn the volume up to 11. All the Hipsters are trying to out-Hipster each other.

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed this episode. It's a little darker than I was expecting. It seems way too soon for the husband's possible diagnosis with some sort of neurological issue though. We just met him! Ugh. I think a little more humor to balance out the depressing might be a nice addition.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Manda317 said:

I'm enjoying the creepiness of this so far. After reading the comments I may watch Medium as well. I'm glad there is something good on this summer. I have been really bored with TV lately.

Me too.  I like it okay. But, do check out Medium.  It is different from this show.  Start in the beginning.  It was one of my top favorite shows of all time.  LOVED it. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I liked this episode, probably more than the first one. I think the actress playing Cassie did better, and the case of the week was quite creepy. What a creep that guy was, no matter how sad his backstory, especially when he was going on about how the poor kid he was killing was "a weapon". I would have kind of liked it if Cassie went up to him like "FYI, your dead girlfriend your supposedly doing all this for? Super pissed at you, and if you try to find her as a ghost, she is so not gonna want to hang out. She is going to ghost the crap out of you, pun intended."

So Brian is a doctor of some kind, and Cassie's mom was his patient, and also had these powers? Maybe he was how they met Cassie, and not detective dad. It seems like he might have early-set Alzheimer's or something similar. 

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

Whatever is wrong with the Dr., I hope the show will handle it appropriately.  TV shows have a tendency to pick tough issues like diabetes, dementia, teen pregnancy, for shock value, then they drop the ball and don't treat the topic properly.  They need correct info and some good experts if they are going to do it right. 

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

Yay Harriet Dyer! A fellow Aussie who has had a great body of work here prior to trying her luck in the U.S. I don't mind the show and I wish her well

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Note to SWAT medic - If your patient is bleeding out, and has gone into cardiac arrest, defibrillating the heart 1)isn't going to start it again, and, 2)it doesn't do a lot of good to restart the organ that is pumping the blood out of the body, unless you interrupt that process to begin with.

What happened to GhostGirl?  Has she been replaced by GhostBum? 

  • Love 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Note to SWAT medic - If your patient is bleeding out, and has gone into cardiac arrest, defibrillating the heart 1)isn't going to start it again, and, 2)it doesn't do a lot of good to restart the organ that is pumping the blood out of the body, unless you interrupt that process to begin with.

What happened to GhostGirl?  Has she been replaced by GhostBum? 

I was thinking the exact same thing. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/7/2019 at 2:20 AM, Dowel Jones said:

What happened to GhostGirl?  Has she been replaced by GhostBum

Ghost girl stayed at the prison to haunt her grandfather since he was the one that killed her. Presumably she will then move on- although I’m not sure whether Heaven or Hell awaits her. 

Hopefully Ghost career criminal won’t stay long either. I guess we are supposed to believe he had the ‘gift’ Too? 

This show is another one of those that thinks the poor victims of crime should just hang out until the star detectives can negotiate traffic to be the first on the scene. Regardless of whether it’s a forest outside of their jurisdiction or one of many storage facilities in the city of Seattle. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't really spend a lot of time at bars...but even I have to raise an eyebrow at how often Cassie drinks at work. Is that actually allowed anywhere? It's not like she met friends at the end of her shift, but rather seems to be randomly drinking while she's working.

Also, are we supposed to think Cassie and the male bartender have a regular casual sex relationship, or that was just a one-time thing? I couldn't quite tell if I missed something there, or it just wasn't specified yet. 

As for the tips that Tom regularly receives from Cassie - Asante knows, and presumably Tom's old partner did as well. But I would imagine the PD in general doesn't know, so how exactly does Tom explain the various random things he finds out to others? Like how he just knows to start searching storage units or whatever?

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I don't really spend a lot of time at bars...but even I have to raise an eyebrow at how often Cassie drinks at work. Is that actually allowed anywhere? It's not like she met friends at the end of her shift, but rather seems to be randomly drinking while she's working.

Also, are we supposed to think Cassie and the male bartender have a regular casual sex relationship, or that was just a one-time thing? I couldn't quite tell if I missed something there, or it just wasn't specified yet. 

As for the tips that Tom regularly receives from Cassie - Asante knows, and presumably Tom's old partner did as well. But I would imagine the PD in general doesn't know, so how exactly does Tom explain the various random things he finds out to others? Like how he just knows to start searching storage units or whatever?

I think it's a regular casual thing. I didn't notice any awkwardness that would be there with two people who have to see each other every day.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

20 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

As for the tips that Tom regularly receives from Cassie - Asante knows, and presumably Tom's old partner did as well. But I would imagine the PD in general doesn't know, so how exactly does Tom explain the various random things he finds out to others? Like how he just knows to start searching storage units or whatever?

I mean, it's not like "This person is actually in a warehouse somewhere" is particularly random piece of info for police to get. The question is why they rely on an actual psychic who has horrible visions of dead people to give them the info like that. Isn't it very basic, common sense approach: yeah, this missing person is probably in an obvious holding place somewhere? I mean, Det. Asante is a Gary Stu, he should know those things.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CooperTV said:

I mean, it's not like "This person is actually in a warehouse somewhere" is particularly random piece of info for police to get. The question is why they rely on an actual psychic who has horrible visions of dead people to give them the info like that. Isn't it very basic, common sense approach: yeah, this missing person is probably in an obvious holding place somewhere? I mean, Det. Asante is a Gary Stu, he should know those things.

I live across the street from a storage facility...it's entirely because of crime dramas that I imagine horrible things inside every time I pass. This show isn't helping.

No, I meant the other clues, like Peter Rabbit or that they'd find a woman with her eyes gouged out, stuff like that. It's pretty specific.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

So I have been watching Medium, and I discovered that Paul Blackthorne actually guest-starred in the 11th episode if the first season. He played a television star from the 60s.  

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I replied to something Harriet Dyer tweeted, asking her if Cassie was actually adopted or had just lived with Tom and Brian. She responded:

20190613_082718.png

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SnarkySheep said:

I replied to something Harriet Dyer tweeted, asking her if Cassie was actually adopted or had just lived with Tom and Brian. She responded:

20190613_082718.png

Wait, What!!!!!! Did Cassie's mom die or did Cassie die (that would explain a lot)! Just kidding!

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

I'm worried because they skipped airing the show for a week (Maybe due to some sporting event? I don't follow sports and I DVR all my regular shows so I don't even know when this comes on.)  I like the show, but I forgot a lot of stuff in the hiatus. I hope the ratings don't drop down to cancellation level! 

So, I have never seen Blackthorne before (although I've seen all the Medium episodes but don't remember his -- that was years and years ago though) and apparently most posters here are very familiar with him.  I got on here today to comment how much he looks and sounds like a young Sean Connery and was shocked no one else had mentioned that.  Either I'm way off or all of you are so familiar with him you don't even think about it?

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

I'm worried because they skipped airing the show for a week

Didn't even notice. This is strictly 'nothing else on' TV.

Same problems: cheesy angry basement ghost looks like the ones in Poltergeist. Gory spirits roaming the hospital halls look like the ones in The Sixth Sense. Cassie is wispy and one dimensional; when she began weeping in fear at one point, all I could think was that Alison Dubois never, never would have done that.

Also, who thinks it's a good idea to become a bartender when your mother was an alcoholic?

30 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

I got on here today to comment how much he looks and sounds like a young Sean Connery

Well, a middle-aged Sean Connery, maybe, and minus the delicious Scottish accent.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size