Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Champagne Supernova

• Start Topic

So I'm going to just take a HUGE bow here because Noah being the 4th alien was my original (not seen anywhere else except from me)  theory from way back.  That theory spread so fast that suddenly Noah was "too obvious" to be the 4th alien (and 50-eleven folks tried to claim they came up with it when I know I was the first on twitter, reddit and here)  - but again - when I floated that theory folks acted like that was insane.

HA!  Doubt me at your peril! LOL.

AND I still believe Grant Green is alive - and masquerading as his twin, Graham Green.  He's another alien, but he's GOOD.  I expect that reveal to come soon.

I was struggling to reconcile my belief that both of them were aliens or suspicious - now having one be bad and the other good - that would finally pull these threads together.

*bows and then jumps off soapbox and saunters off smugly*

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 8

I can't wait to find out more Pod Squad (Pod Quad?) backstory- and this is assuming Noah tells them the truth. I hope we find out why he killed all those people.

I liked the scene with Michael/Max.  But I don't think they should be all "everything is magically better between us" yet. Michael talking about how his scars were a warning against being hopeful- that could have come off as SUPER cheesy, but the actor did a good job making it less so.

Sartorially speaking, Loved Maria's dress.  White dresses appear to be unflattering on everyone.  Liz's Dad's suit was beautiful.

This was a terrific episode.  Please Alien Overlords at he CW, give this show another season.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, phoenics said:

So I'm going to just take a HUGE bow here because Noah being the 4th alien was my original (not seen anywhere else except from me)  theory from way back.  That theory spread so fast that suddenly Noah was "too obvious" to be the 4th alien (and 50-eleven folks tried to claim they came up with it when I know I was the first on twitter, reddit and here)  - but again - when I floated that theory folks acted like that was insane.

AND I still believe Grant Green is alive - and masquerading as his twin, Graham Green.  He's another alien, but he's GOOD.  I expect that reveal to come soon.

I was struggling to reconcile my belief that both of them were aliens or suspicious - now having one be bad and the other good - that would finally pull these threads together.

orig  @phoenics

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Also - there is also the mystery of Michael and his coat that released the yellow powder.  I couldn't tell if it was what his coat was laying on that released it or if someone laced his coat with something.

So - was that just how Noah made sure he could control Michael - knocking him out with yellow powder gas?

• Love 2

One bizarre thing; how come Max went to the opening with his forehead bleeding and not even a bandage, and not a soul there said anything?

Edited by Whodunnit
Max not Maxim
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Also - I really loved how adamant Michael was that Maria couldn't be the evil alien.  He was about to run Max through for that, lol.

And his chemistry with Maria is still FIRE.

Also loved the Max/Liz scenes... I know this will hurt Malex fans, but I feel like this show is strongest when it plays to Max/Liz and Maria/Michael - Michael bantering with Maria while she was knocked out was cute-sad, lol.

Loved seeing Liz save herself from Noah with the serum - and Max going crazy on Noah afterward.

And LOOOOOVED seeing Cam and Liz talk like that and bond.

Also - Isobel can BITE me with her constant gungho eagerness to mindrape people - and her gunning for Maria made me want to stab her.  I REALLY hate how Tess-like they made her act w.r.t. her powers - she continually violates people without their consent and I wish someone would call her out for it.

Oh! And the alien-mysterious music for the show FINALLY kicked into high gear - finally!  

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, Whodunnit said:

One bizarre thing; how come Maxim went to the opening with his forehead bleeding and not even a bandage, and not a soul there said anything?

'Cause Max is a cowboy?

Kind of sad that Noah doesn't love Isobel. Maybe there can be some 5th alien making Noah evil, and then Noah and Isobel can patch things up?

I liked the scene with Max telling Michael about feeling guilty because Michael got the short end of the stick. Michael Vlamis seems to always elevate the scene without necessarily dominating it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I admit that I wanted it to be that Noah was actually what he seemed to be, as I liked him a lot, but people here sure did call it. Looks like Noah is the fourth alien, the creepy Rosa stalker, and the killer who started all of this crap. 

I feel bad that Isobels husband was the bad guy, and apparently doesent even love her, but she needs to stop brain fucking people so willy nilly. Its super messed up, and its going to backfire even worse eventually than it already has. 

Loved Liz saving herself, figuring everything out, and Max just freaking whaling on Noah after everything was out in the open!

I doubt this will fix everything in their relationship, but it was nice to see Max and Michael actually hashing out some of their issues. Some of the beats were super over the top dramatic, like Michael keeping his messed up hand to show him much people sucked, but the actors made it work. I also liked that they addressed that Max feels guilty about how he and Isobel got a nice home and Michael got screwed over time and again, I always got that vibe from him in his interactions with Michael, so it was nice to see it out in the open. 

Maria looked amazing tonight! Love that Michael was about to throw down about her possibly being the alien, like he was NOT having that bullshit!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

I think Noah also has mindreading capabilities.  Or he's way more connected to his powers than any of the podsquad.

The "I can be anyone you want" line he gave to Rosa through Isobel makes me think he can basically "shape shift" through mind control.  He can control any body so technically he can "be" anybody.

It's sad though - he really doesn't love Isobel. That was all an act.  Actually I'm not all that sad about that, lol.  Isobel kinda deserved to be deceived - her constant mindraping of people deserved some karma.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 1

Whew! What an episode. So much to like. Could comment on it all, but I won’t.

I am on both the Michael/Maria and Michael/Alex train. The chemistry is off the charts. The actors just bring it.  (I still think Vlamis just sparks with everone). Michael/Maria have the sexual banter and Michael/Alex the angst/longing. I like them both. 1st time I’ve equally liked both pairings in a triangle. 

For the 1st time, I felt Max and Liz were both on the same page. It was awesome! 

Boo, bitchy Isobel. Still messing with Liz’s head over Max. I’m not at all anti-Isobel but she makes it hard to like her sometime.

I missed Alex.

Loved the Max/Michael talk. 

this episode was fantastic! Keep em coming! 

Edited by MzLiz
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, MzLiz said:

Boo, bitchy Isobel. Still messing with Liz’s head over Max. I’m not at all anti-Isobel but she makes it hard to like her sometime.

I couldn't agree more.  Aside from her bitchiness and smugface whenever she's mindraping someone (without their consent), I like Isobel - but the bitchy smugface really has turned me off of her - especially when she was ready to go after Maria just because she's angry Maria doesn't like her and can resist her powers.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Maria looked amazing tonight! Love that Michael was about to throw down about her possibly being the alien, like he was NOT having that bullshit!

And didn't he say he'd explode anyone who came near her with his brain? This is the quality shipper content I expect. Not surprising that Noah's evil. The only reason OG Isabel got to have a decent husband was because Jesse being decent was the shocking twist.

Didn't even realize Kyle and Alex weren't in the episode till the end, and Kyle's been a surprising favorite of mine.  Cameron trying to do the right thing and having the drug detecting nail polish has quickly pushed her forward a few spaces. She's a welcome change.

I am so confused about the timeline of this show, though. I need a calendar. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

And didn't he say he'd explode anyone who came near her with his brain? This is the quality shipper content I expect. Not surprising that Noah's evil. The only reason OG Isabel got to have a decent husband was because Jesse being decent was the shocking twist.

Didn't even realize Kyle and Alex weren't in the episode till the end, and Kyle's been a surprising favorite of mine.  Cameron trying to do the right thing and having the drug detecting nail polish has quickly pushed her forward a few spaces. She's a welcome change.

I am so confused about the timeline of this show, though. I need a calendar. 

Wanted to plus 1 Cameron coming through at the end with her shooting at Noah!Isobel and running her off before he/she could kill Max.

• Love 3

I'm gonna be the downer (like always!) and say that I wasn't over the moon with this episode like everyone else.

First of all, Liz is a shit date. She goes with her dad, ditches him almost instantly to go hang out with Cameron and Isobel, ditches him further to go chill with not!Maria in the bathroom (which c'mon, who didn't see that coming from a mile away), ditches him again to go get her tow truck driver on and end up with dirt artfully swiped across her face but nowhere near her pristine white dress, saves Michael and Max from the Bunker of Doom and Pollen, returns to the party to further ditch her father to dance with Max's head injury, finally has one dance with her father who was apparently "getting them drinks" for three hours, ditches him for the ninth time (exaggeration but I think you can give me this one) to run home and magically find the shirt that had Noah's blood on it - so how far away date wise was the party from the hospital event? Or is this commentary on Liz not doing her laundry? - and shove it under her microscope, return to the party while still ignoring her father in order to go shove a syringe full of anti-alien serum in Noah's neck, be his meat puppet for a few seconds before it magically starts working, and then shares her boyfriend with her boyfriend's twin in a loving embrace. Oh and her dress is still perfect and without a speck of dust. 

This just in: Liz sucks. 

Also sucky? Michael. So Maria is roofied on an examination table in the UFO museum and what does Michael do? Lift her head to put it on his thigh, sit on the table, make sure to artfully arrange Maria onto her side (which really, someone should have put her in the rescue position long before that) and then give some creeptastic line about "You're no fun when you're quiet." I know it wasn't meant to be creeptastic but... yeah, that's something the serial killer says to the victim before he start menacing her with a big ass knife to make her scream so he can get his rocks off. 

Also sucky? That it has to be not!Maria that had to point out to Michael earlier that even though he and Alex might not have been together at the moment (seriously, they need to clean up this Michael/Alex relationship and whether they are, they aren't, they were, they weren't, or whatever variation they want to roll with), he doesn't get to decide whether she did anything wrong. Because taking one of your best friend's sloppy seconds - before you knew they were rewarmed leftovers - is always fun and guilt free!

Also sucky? The idea that Max can actually continue to be a cop after the shit he pulled in this episode. Well, okay, he's pulled questionable shit in a handful of episodes but this really took the cake. I get wanting "society to get the W" and locking a racist fuckwit away for as long as you can but way to stomp all over someone's rights for your own cause. 

*takes a deep breath*

I feel better now.

Edited by Callaphera
missed a few details. Liz had a busy night, y'all
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, bettername2come said:
49 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

And didn't he say he'd explode anyone who came near her with his brain? This is the quality shipper content I expect

It is nice to see Maria finally getting more involved / screentime considering how sidelined she was in the first half of the season. As an OG Roswell Michael & Maria fan  - if they had a portmanteau then or now, I have missed it - I like seeing it in the reboot too. I think it is stronger chemistry than Michael/Alex (which seems to be weirdly paced now too) but I don't trust the showrunner here since she is a protege of Julie Plec. I am greedy and want even more Maria going forward to make up for her initial marginalization. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
Just now, ellieart said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's gross that all the "good" aliens are white and the evil, killer alien was revealed to be a POC?  No?  Just me?  

I'll see myself out...

I'm right there with you. It goes hand in hand with the faux!Isobel/Rosa (but it was really a man, man!) bit. Y'know, just to make it a little bit more cringey. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ellieart said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's gross that all the "good" aliens are white and the evil, killer alien was revealed to be a POC?  No?  Just me?  

I'll see myself out...

Nevermind that the only suspects in the episode were Maria ... and Noah.  *cringeface*

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Honestly, I'm continually amazed that I even bother with this show.  It's been nothing short of cringey and cliche and overall problematic in a lot of ways.  I just don't understand how Carina can't see how harmful some of the writing is, considering she's supposedly so against tropes and stereotypes.  No amount of her explaining it away makes it better either.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, phoenics said:

Nevermind that the only suspects in the episode were Maria ... and Noah.  *cringeface*

They would have accused Liz's dad, too, but the line at the bar was a million people deep at a party that only thirty people were attending and they lost him in the crowd. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

As I recall, in the previous episode Racist Hank had claimed that he saw a non white male chatting up one of the victims.

So either they believed him and should have only been looking men like Kyle and Noah, or they should have suspected everyone including Cameron.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, bettername2come said:

And didn't he say he'd explode anyone who came near her with his brain?

And this is why I like this Michael better than OG Michael.

5 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

White dresses appear to be unflattering on everyone.  Liz's Dad's suit was beautiful.

I felt so sorry for Jeanine Mason as Liz having to wear that knit, fitted white dress. Why not royal blue or purple?
And then it was almost amusing that while Liz got all kinds of grime on her face doing her heroics (although I did appreciate her agency) that her unflattering white gown remained pristine for her return to the dance floor.
No idea why they went with white. If it was supposed to suggest wedding bells -- not so much.

And yes, Arturo looked fab in his suit, but I was disappointed once again that he had barely a line or two. 

• Love 5

I also LOLed that no one appeared remotely fazed by Max having blood on his head.

I knew Noah was the fourth alien as soon as he made Isobel promise not to use her powers. We'd all suspected before, but that was the moment that clinched it. That scene of him in Isobel's mind was horrifying (I agree Isobel is way too casual about influencing people, but it came back on her too strong in that moment). I got the impression he can't easily be influenced, so I think he really did love Rosa, and he also chose to kill her all on his own (and attempted to do the same to Liz tonight). 

This week sort of confirmed what I suspected last week - Maria DOES care for Michael, and it's part of why she was so upset that Alex is in love with him. I hope she doesn't end up going straight under the bus here. 

It's nice that Cam and Liz skipped past being catty and have been there for each other these past couple episodes.

I also suspect that Grant's "twin" is Grant himself, but beyond that, I'm glad to see the actor back, who is surprisingly effective.

• Love 5

So they really had the bad alien be the POC while the 3 white aliens are good. Wow. 

As far as Maria knows Alex is in love with Michael and in her own words "hopeful" about him so she will be such a shit friend if she goes there. I wish the one same sex relationship on the show wouldn't be a cliche triangle. 

Edited by backhometome
  • Love 1

Why was Noah telling Liz's dad that he'd help him with citizenship a red flag for Liz?

That scene with Max and Michael, when Max was talking about how guilty he's felt all his life, I think that was Nathan's best acting on the show so far.  I really felt for him there. Michael of course was great like always. 

Ugh this triangle is going to get messy. Michael and Maria are great. Michael and Alex are great. Maria and Alex are great. I really don't know how tptb are going to get out of this one.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, ellieart said:

Honestly, I'm continually amazed that I even bother with this show.  It's been nothing short of cringey and cliche and overall problematic in a lot of ways.  I just don't understand how Carina can't see how harmful some of the writing is, considering she's supposedly so against tropes and stereotypes.  No amount of her explaining it away makes it better either.  

I have no idea why I am still watching. It jumps from scene to scene so fast you don't even understand how you got that far in the story and the characters are all acting different. Even if you completely separate it from the original, it's still a mess of a show on it's own. I feel like the production of this show is someone saying to the writers "I want to see girl covered in silver shampoo, figure out a way."

And yet, I'll still watch next week, because now we have to figure out the Grant Green mystery.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think it was a red flag because the missing puzzle piece also was that he said Noah always went to that Ranchero night to help people with legal issues. Combined with the racist guy from the previous episode that said that murdered woman left with a Mexican guy (forgetting exactly the phrasing), and in opening scenes of this episode, the gang was speculating on how the 4th alien could have known about the serum.  Liz’ dad provided just enough information that it was either a huge coincidence or everything fell into place. They didn’t outright accuse him based on that though, it was just enough to make him a possible suspect at that point. 

• Love 2

Well Noah was telegraphed from the moment he saw Isobel in the pod and didn't panic.  Though, in retrospect, the large volume of empty nail polish bottles should have been a clue.

It was creepy watching Noah frozen in the car while he was off pretending to be Isobel.  And...that's a weird sentence.

I loved Michael and Maria, but I hate this triangle because I don't want an M&M at the expense of Alex.  My poor Alex didn't win the first TV series.  I don't want him shafted the second time around too.

I know it was silly, but it was awesome seeing Liz freeing Max and Michael. 

• Love 2

I liked this ep less than I liked most of the others. It had a lot of individual moments I loved, but it didn't really come together for me. Or honestly it might just be that I'm really pissed Noah is the fourth, evil alien that's dampening my ability to like this ep.

I still love Michael/Maria so much and think they have loads more chem than Michael/Alex. No matter what, this triangle is going to end terribly and I do not look forward to that lol.

I thought the Noah actor did a good job but ugh I'm just so annoyed they made him the fourth alien. It was always obvious there was something nefarious going on with him, but I had hoped he was just like a spy or something but had been having qualms about it because of his love for Isobel. I hate that he's just full-on evil and that he never really loved Isobel. Add onto it what everyone has been saying about him being the only POC alien and he's evil while the good ones are white. All around it's all just gross and stupid and I hate it.

I guess I'm the only one but I loved Liz's dress. Her butt looked like shit in it though lol. Also, her makeup was so bad.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, kirkola said:

Well Noah was telegraphed from the moment he saw Isobel in the pod and didn't panic.  Though, in retrospect, the large volume of empty nail polish bottles should have been a clue.

It was creepy watching Noah frozen in the car while he was off pretending to be Isobel.  And...that's a weird sentence.

I loved Michael and Maria, but I hate this triangle because I don't want an M&M at the expense of Alex.  My poor Alex didn't win the first TV series.  I don't want him shafted the second time around too.

You know, that now makes me think back a little bit.  My memory may be wrong (because I don't pay super close attention to this show), but didn't they show us scenes of Noah all by himself freaking out?  I hate when shows do that to try to throw off the audience.  Just show the perpetrator in scenes with others where it makes sense they'd be keeping up the act. But, to show scenes of them alone- there's no way he'd act that way if there were no one to see him.  Anyway, I knew Noah was suspect the second he didn't flip out about aliens.

I, too, hated Liz's dress and laughed at how artfully the dirt and grease was applied to her face in one scene- but her dress still spotless- to perfect make-up sans dirt the next.  At first I thought Max washed off the blood because the cut was on the opposite side of his head than what we saw when he was dancing with Liz, but then they showed it still bleeding and I was like "??".  Such weird choices they are making with this show. 

I'm with the others that I really don't know exactly why I'm still watching this show.  It's a mess and I don't really even like anyone.  But, I also don't hate them either so I'll probably stick with it.  It's most likely my die-hard infatuation with the original, even though there is no similarities for me except the names being the same. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

My memory may be wrong (because I don't pay super close attention to this show), but didn't they show us scenes of Noah all by himself freaking out? 

Not based on that. He smashed the mirror when Isobel was in the hospital, and I thought it was a fairly ambiguous scene, actually, because he seemed more angry than upset. I didn't WANT him to have done this to Isobel, but several of his weird non-reactions to things made me suspect him nonetheless.

• Love 4

I thought the Noah reveal was weird. Isn't this supposed to be a small town where everyone has known each other for years? Why has there been no discussion about Noah's character 10 years ago or anything about his back story at all?

Three girls dying in a single evening would have at least merited a discussion on "Where were you when that happened?" if Noah was in town then.

Also, the same thought applies to Grant Green's mysterious twin popping out of nowhere.

Or have there been discussions on either and I just missed it?

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, kirkola said:

I loved Michael and Maria, but I hate this triangle because I don't want an M&M at the expense of Alex. 

At the same time, as a fan of OG Roswell, to me, one could easily believe that this triangle exists at the expense of Maria. She's the one who was shafted for over half the series with almost no screen time, no integration into the main story, plus lost her two strongest relationships (Maria/Liz and Maria/Michael). Not to mention, the misogynoir I am seeing on social media over Michael's explicitly stated bisexuality meaning he could have real feelings for Maria instead of it being solely using her "to deal with not being with Alex" has been rather eye opening. 

Liz needs to pass on her secrets regarding how to keep a white dress pristine. I can't even have lunch at my desk and wear white without spilling something. I'm jealous. 

ETA @tennisgurl 

giphy.gif

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Cristofle said:

I knew Noah was the fourth alien as soon as he made Isobel promise not to use her powers.

We viewers were probably supposed to figure that out, but I am of the older generation who grew up on Bewitched, so I kept comparing it to that, and Noah came off more favorably, because Darren was just being a prejudiced doody-head about Samantha using her powers, whereas Noah said he didn't want Isobel to use hers because they triggered blackouts, which could leave her vulnerable.

6 hours ago, Cristofle said:

That scene of him in Isobel's mind was horrifying (I agree Isobel is way too casual about influencing people, but it came back on her too strong in that moment)

Now that you mention it, @Cristofle, I wonder if now that Isobel has experienced the unpleasant/terrifying experience of Noah inside her head, if she will swear off at least recreational and/or power-building excursions into peoples' heads.

4 hours ago, kirkola said:

Not silly at all. Well, maybe a little silly WRT the shot of her looking down the manhole cover in her prom duds and makeup. But, hey, girl power! It would have been even better for a teenage Liz to do.

• Love 4

Do we know if Michael/Maria had hooked up before the "songs from Texas" episode? Because I'm a little confused why Maria is giving him the time of day. I mean, was the sex that cosmic?

I feel like they are setting things up for a hell of a cliffhanger, and if the show is not picked up, I will be one unhappy camper.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Do we know if Michael/Maria had hooked up before the "songs from Texas" episode? Because I'm a little confused why Maria is giving him the time of day. I mean, was the sex that cosmic?

Based upon my experiences when I was that age: If you've been friends with someone for years and then happen to hook up, it can feel pretty epic. Like destiny. Plus, being already comfortable with the person doesn't hurt either.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, phoenics said:

Hmm, while you're patting yourself on the back, perhaps you could also revisit your opinion that Michael was hitting on Maria while he knew that she and Alex were besties.  It would seem, from her comments in this episode, that she couldn't help herself around Michael and find him nearly irresistible.  So, Michael is:

"Also - no one is saying that Maria wasn't a willing partner - but the fact remains that she would never have slept with Michael had she known he was Alex's mystery man.  She knew how important he was to Alex - so that's a line she wouldn't have crossed.

Michael is the one who looks like an ass for knowingly stepping between two people he knew were good friends."

Seems like Maria didn't really mind and her "it will never happen again" was more an admonition to herself not to give into her urges to be with Michael.

So, no Maria under the bus, in fact she brushed the bus aside and admitted who she wanted.

I also may have mentioned that I didn't think Noah really loved Isobel, admittedly NOT because he was the 4th alien but based on his lack of curiosity about his wife being missing or finding her in her "egg", OR his inane question about making him choose that sweater.  We now know that Isobel couldn't Influence him, he doesn't love Isobel but Rosa (?????), And that he was perfectly willing to kill the other aliens.  

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

At the same time, as a fan of OG Roswell, to me, one could easily believe that this triangle exists at the expense of Maria. She's the one who was shafted for over half the series with almost no screen time, no integration into the main story, plus lost her two strongest relationships (Maria/Liz and Maria/Michael). Not to mention, the misogynoir I am seeing on social media over Michael's explicitly stated bisexuality meaning he could have real feelings for Maria instead of it being solely using her "to deal with not being with Alex" has been rather eye opening. 

Liz needs to pass on her secrets regarding how to keep a white dress pristine. I can't even have lunch at my desk and wear white without spilling something. I'm jealous. 

Yeah, I don't like it at the expense of Maria either.  In the original, I adored Alex, which used to weird me out because I adored Colin Hanks' Dad too.  And Maria was always her own woman. 

In this version, they've set it up so that no matter what happens, a large portion of the fan base will be ticked.  Either Michael stays with Alex and once more a POC loses with less screen time and less plot lines.  Or Michael chooses Maria, and Alex gets the reduced screen/plot, which is bad for homoesexuals in the fan base.  The only win-win is to make them polyamorous, and I just don't see the network having that sorta skill to do it justice.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kirkola said:

Yeah, I don't like it at the expense of Maria either.  In the original, I adored Alex, which used to weird me out because I adored Colin Hanks' Dad too.  And Maria was always her own woman. 

In this version, they've set it up so that no matter what happens, a large portion of the fan base will be ticked.  Either Michael stays with Alex and once more a POC loses with less screen time and less plot lines.  Or Michael chooses Maria, and Alex gets the reduced screen/plot, which is bad for homoesexuals in the fan base.  The only win-win is to make them polyamorous, and I just don't see the network having that sorta skill to do it justice.

And then you lose another chunk of the fanbase if they played the polyamorous angle because I've noticed a lot of the M/A fans (I refuse to use their dumb ship name, sorry not sorry) don't want that to happen and think it's bad for their LGBTQ rep.  Even though it's a very real thing.  But a very real thing that this show is incapable of ever writing correctly.  

So the way I see it, they've already completely screwed themselves with this story and there's nothing they can do to right it without losing a huge chunk of fans in the process.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, ellieart said:

And then you lose another chunk of the fanbase if they played the polyamorous angle because I've noticed a lot of the M/A fans (I refuse to use their dumb ship name, sorry not sorry) don't want that to happen and think it's bad for their LGBTQ rep.  Even though it's a very real thing.  But a very real thing that this show is incapable of ever writing correctly.  

So the way I see it, they've already completely screwed themselves with this story and there's nothing they can do to right it without losing a huge chunk of fans in the process.

If this little show's faux pas with the love triangle angle sounds the death knell of tv show love triangles in general, then all will be forgiven in my book.

5 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

Also, the same thought applies to Grant Green's mysterious twin popping out of nowhere.

Maybe there is a shapeshifter too?

Having Noah do a mind meld instead of shape shifting is a lot cheaper on the special effects budget.

Edited by shapeshifter
40 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If this little show's faux pas with the love triangle angle sounds the death knell of tv show love triangles in general, then all will be forgiven in my book.

Hahaha. Yeah, Catrina wasn't making me or apparently anyone else happy these past couple days by talking on Twitter about how much she loves love triangles. I'm relatively lucky here that I don't have a real horse in the race. I have enjoyed Michael/Alex and in the pilot, I thought it was one of the things that really set the show apart. But I have also enjoyed Michael and Maria's interaction- on paper, at points more than OG M&M. Fehr and Majandra had incredible chemistry, but I prefer this kind of more good-natured banter to bickering that can often turn mean. 

Still, I hate love triangles and want them all to die, so there's that.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Cristofle said:

Hahaha. Yeah, Catrina wasn't making me or apparently anyone else happy these past couple days by talking on Twitter about how much she loves love triangles. I'm relatively lucky here that I don't have a real horse in the race. I have enjoyed Michael/Alex and in the pilot, I thought it was one of the things that really set the show apart. But I have also enjoyed Michael and Maria's interaction- on paper, at points more than OG M&M. Fehr and Majandra had incredible chemistry, but I prefer this kind of more good-natured banter to bickering that can often turn mean. 

I was curious and went to look and now I'm really regretting that I did. Because she's not just talking about how much she loves her some triangle action, she's patting herself on the back for making a not perfectly white, not perfectly straight triangle. Which yeah, she did. But is it really that much better to pit two marginalized groups and two types of characters who historically are not represented well or in a non-stereotypically fashion against each other in the quest of Michael's apparently amazing prowess in bed? 

And this is why I will forever and always be Team Best Friends, Forget Michael. 

A part of me hopes that this show doesn't get picked up for a second season because I'm not sure this shit show can be saved. And a part of me hopes it continues so I can continue to snark-watch it and eventually use it as an example when watching other shows: "See what Roswell, New Mexico did there? Yeah, don't do that. Never do that."

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Because she's not just talking about how much she loves her some triangle action, she's patting herself on the back for making a not perfectly white, not perfectly straight triangle. Which yeah, she did. But is it really that much better to pit two marginalized groups and two types of characters who historically are not represented well or in a non-stereotypically fashion against each other in the quest of Michael's apparently amazing prowess in bed? 

Yeah, given that the center of the triangle IS a white male, she's only written a triangle where no matter what she does, one character from a marginalized group is not going to get "the prize (the white male)", and she knows more than anyone- going by the examples she posted - that that's all that matters in fandoms. 

And I swear, I like Michael. Sometimes I like him more than OG Michael. But nothing turns me off of a character faster than being in the middle of a love triangle, lol. Michael hasn't done anything yet, but it's inevitable if this goes on. Either he will do something terrible, or Alex, Maria, or both of them will get twisted into pretzels to "protect" him from doing something terrible. 

• Love 6

Maybe this Catrina person can take a page from "Sirens" which blew straight past the "Triangle" and made it a full blown "Thruple" with all three participants (angles) meeting in bed and just going for it together.  In "Siren" they have a Caucasian male, an African-American female (Straight) AND a female Caucasian Mermaid all in the bed happy to satisfy each other with no fears, jealousy, or discrimination.  With Smiles all-around. 🤯

That's a good idea Animemania, however, I don't think Noah would go down without bringing the other aliens with him.  So far, they haven't given him an agenda besides being loony.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 2