Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

I couldn't help but think of the show Sisters.  And I would have probably put the Sugarbakers up too, for Best.

By the way, I think probably the submitter was talking about when you were up visiting for a while, and doing the Face Off (or was it Master Chef Jr at that time?) reports together with them.  I thought your family dynamic was adorable too!

Oh come ON, y'all! AHS is not an going series just because of a few characters reappear. It's an anthology series that purposely reinvents itself every year. It has narrative echoes, certainly, but it's not, per the Emmy's new rules, following a consistent set of characters/stories over a consistent period of time.

Put this show next to Homeland, which also completely rebooted itself this season. Despite the new setting and many new characters, the show is still dominated by the extension of Carrie, Saul, and Quinn's ongoing stories, whereas the callbacks in AHS were Easter Egg-y ornaments in an otherwise unrelated story. It's incredibly cool that the callbacks happened, but I cannot --- nay, WILL NOT --- accept that they turn AHS into a continuing drama.

• Love 1

Yes, it's an anthology series; an ongoing, in it's fourth season anthology series. So yes, I think the new Emmy rules still have a big giant loophole for AHS to exploit.

(Then there's the silliness about how Sherlock, which REALLY is an ongoing series, is eligible for TV movie.)

ALL THAT SAID, I do agree in appreciating the Emmys are trying to adapt (and I especially like the new Guest Actor rules).

• Love 1

So, my username is sinnerforhire, not sinnerforpay, but you guys made me laugh with that, so it's all good. Also, hearing it out loud made me realize for the first time just how close it is to a weird euphemism for "whore." Certainly wasn't thinking that when I chose it!

• Love 2

I was totally screaming at my phone "Chuck Mangione. You're talking about CHUCK MANGIONE!" A name I'm pretty sure I only know because of King of the Hill.

Edited by smrou
  • Love 3

I loved Sarah's idea about rebooting "Mr. Broadway". A NYC press agent who Jessica-Fletchers his way into and out of crime situations with the help of a spunky assistant and his cop buddy?

SIGN ME UP.

• Love 2

Oh come ON, y'all! AHS is not an going series just because of a few characters reappear. It's an anthology series that purposely reinvents itself every year. It has narrative echoes, certainly, but it's not, per the Emmy's new rules, following a consistent set of characters/stories over a consistent period of time.

Put this show next to Homeland, which also completely rebooted itself this season. Despite the new setting and many new characters, the show is still dominated by the extension of Carrie, Saul, and Quinn's ongoing stories, whereas the callbacks in AHS were Easter Egg-y ornaments in an otherwise unrelated story. It's incredibly cool that the callbacks happened, but I cannot --- nay, WILL NOT --- accept that they turn AHS into a continuing drama.

How about Fargo? The second season will have an entirely new cast, but the Lou Solverson character will carry over from the first season.

I don't care if there are ongoing characters, and I think that's a red herring. Anthologies aren't miniseries. Proper anthology shows like The Twilight Zone and Amazing Stories got nominations as Drama. Or Comedy, in the case of Love, American Style.

If there's another season with the same title, like "American Horror Story," or "Fargo," or "Sherlock," it's a regular series with short seasons.

If there's another season with the same title, like "American Horror Story," or "Fargo," or "Sherlock," it's a regular series with short seasons.

Sherlock always goes in the TV Movie category rather than miniseries for some reason. The 90-minute episodes, I guess?

The classic anthologies you name were different everything, every week-- story, cast, writers, and directors. (Not that some weren't rotated, but they weren't the same character in a continuing story.)

The way that AHS and (supposedly) Fargo are being touted is as one self-contained story in a season. That's a mini-/ limited series. Less episodes than the usual, open-ended series' season and a complete story told in those episodes.

Those classic shows? Twilight Zone had five seasons of between 18 and 39 episodes. Amazing Stories has a 24 episode 1st season and a 21 episode second. Love, American Style had 15 to 24 episode seasons with usually three stories told in each half hour.

I can see a case that these , if made currently, should meet the "anthology= mini" criteria, but I also see where they legitimately could ask for on-going series consideration due to the sheer amount of product for broadcast.

M*A*S*H did a dream episode as well. It was a pretty good one, too.

Personally, I say we can do without that age-old trope that says that the most prominent male and female characters in a given show will inevitably hook up. And to replace it? How about mutual respect? Or how about a straightforward, no-strings-attached intergender friendship?

I got a couple more bullseyes than the actual players in Game Time, mostly in the Emmy questions, which is weird, since I almost never watch the Emmys, especially when I was a kid/teenager, which is when a lot of those shows were on. But I would have lost big on the fourth round, because I never watched most of those shows. Although I just watched Melrose Place, so I did pretty well on the wig question. I swear Melrose has the longest seasons known to man. There's like 34 episodes in one season.

• Love 1

In regards to the music on Nashville, I was actually interested in this topic when the show first came out. I think they said that T Bone Burnett was friends with a lot of songwriters who were willing to have their music on the show. Several of the songs in the first season were released by bands before getting onto the show. Even songs that were written for the show still got performed by the people who wrote them in their own sets. Then in later seasons they talked about how the actors had started writing/co-writing their own music but I don't know how often their own music was used. And they do tour as everyone said, so they are making money for themselves.