Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

re: Serial overexposure, I think it exists for people who were listening to it and definitely for people who were aware of it and didn't love it, but the number of people who don't even know it was a thing is weirdly huge. I was with about 20 law students last month, which is a group of people who you would think would be into it, and only one person had heard of it. Someone legit asked "...like, breakfast cereal?" So maybe the show is hoping to get that market of people who don't have podcasts on their radar?

I love the idea of Holt giving Phil a breather on The Amazing Race! That was inspired.

James Frain, as any of his dramatic characters, on Undateable. The man rarely plays straight funny stuff  so it might be cool if he can surprise us- not unlike your Walton Goggins  suggestion. This show was picked because a) comedy, b) live, and c) it should be a one-and-done.

Oswald Cobblepot ( aka The Penguin, Gotham) on a special What Not To Wear ( with Stacy & Clinton, Ted and Carmindy, natch). To see what happens with Oswald's hair make-over could fill me with glee. On the flipside, Barbara Keane ( Gotham) hosting Love, Lust or Run could be a hoot!

Sherlock Holmes (Elementary) as a judge on Face-Off could be fun; his nitpicky reasons for why he doesn't like a look could be gold.

Murray Goldberg ( The Goldbergs) ranting "Morons!" at the good guys on Arrow  would speak on behalf of some of the audience, I feel sure. A pantsless Murray in his recliner, giving reality checks like he was makin' it rain in a strip club could be fun. Plus, Murray could be a father figure to Felicity, one who while loud, would not judge her for her taste in morons. 

Cookie Lyon( Empire) hosting Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? To see Cookie's reactions to folks answering the hard questions would be great, answering dumbly would get a great response too, but I want to see Cookie hurry a contestant up when their debating goes for eons!

Lucious Lyon ( Empire) running Celebrity Apprentice. Would he forget that the money raised is for charities? Would Wig Cop have to clock him for inconsistent wiggery? Would Wig Cop then be told that gods can't be ticketed for wiggery?

Vaughn Du Clark (Steven Webber,iZombie) on Shark Tank. Does this guy turn any idea down? Plus, when he decides to go all in on a product, the lengths he goes to ensure success are crazy.

I did come up with a couple of others but didn't want to steal all the good ideas (or at least have the PTV gang feel they were plagarising):

Carrie & Brodie (Homeland) appear on Jerry Springer "She calls him a traitor (Boo, Hiss): He got her fired from the CIA and forced to undergo ECT therapy!"

RuPaul* helms the latest NCIS spin off, NCIS Anchorage: "Now before we talk about the death of Lt Jenkins, we need to talk about your hair!"

*I should point out that I have never seen an episode of RuPaul's Drag Race, so he may talk nothing like that.

(And cue the Ten Thirteen "I made this!" Stinger)

Bernard and Miss Bianca ( The Rescuers) on L&O: SVU, only they are cool cops who help children going through the. worst.

Bernard is played by Eka Darville ( Ryan Morgan, Empire) and Miss Bianca is played by Irene Bedard. Bernard can be either given or last name for the character and 'Miss Bianca' is what she asks the kids to call her, as there may be complicated situations with other police interactions previously. She is Officer Bianca Whatever name  they want to give her, but their "nickname" around the precinct is 'The Rescuers". 

Minnie and Daisy on Elementary.  They are suspects at first because their long-time bfs, stars in a long-running sitcom, go missing and the ladies haven't been shy about how they feel neglected or just used for stupid show purposes.  The ladies are eliminated from the list when it comes to light they they are moonlighting as producer/directors of their own projects. They even went to Full Sail University, on-line, and have their student film in consideration for Sundance.  The ladies, financially secure before meeting the gents, are fine with their new, um, direction, so not likely to murder "The Missing Minstrels".  Everything turns out okay, eventually, despite the usual secrets and lies of show biz, because some nutty pal took them on a surprise getaway.

Minnie and Daisy would be played by Jennifer Westfelt [ Friends  With Kids] (Minnie) and Maya Rudolph [Up All Night, Bridesmaids, SNL] (Daisy). Mike and Don would be played by Trai Byers [ Andre Lyons, Empire] (Mike) and Michael Pena [Ant-Man](Don). Their friend, nicknamed "Goof", is played by Ryan Stiles ( Whose Line, The Drew Carey Show, Two and a Half Men.)

PS: I loved all the suggestions. They were inspired.

Edited by Actionmage

Jesse I keep thinking I could come up with a game myself, but I don't think I actually have the patience to come up with that many questions.

It's really not that hard - once you've got an idea, jot down a few questions and whenever you come up with another, make a note of it (I tend to find they strike me as I'm going to sleep/ waking up, so I keep a pencil & paper by my bed once I've started). And glad you liked the game!

• Love 1

I can only hope that the ending clip indicates that Joe is returning full time (I love you too, Sarah!). His twitter seems to indicate this too! AAAAAAAAAH!

You (and all the dogs in your neighborhood) will hear my high pitched squeals of delight all the way from Australia if that happens.  

• Love 1

I will admit up front: I have never seen "Adventure Time" (ubiquitous gifs aside), I think the submitter did a good job with his case, and I'm not directing the following at him specifically.

However, I did flinch a little bit at the mention of the show's creative vernacular, like "oh my glob", as an offshoot of boyish imagination. If that's a big part of what this show is celebrated for, we as a culture owe Diablo Cody an apology. We probably do anyway.

• Love 1

Both of your corrections on Game Time were correct, not sure how I screwed up the Comedy/Drama thing, other than simple typos.

And Kathy Bates actually WON the Emmy for playing Charlie Harper's ghost on a post-Sheen episode of Two and a Half Men.

• Love 1

-Very happy to have J Rei back. I did not understand the outro last episode at all, so this came as a total surprise to me.
(However I did drunkenly tweet at Joe that I wish he would come back for every episode, so I take full credit for this development, thanks, and you're all welcome.)

• Love 2

I loved the submission but Adventure Time is kind of a 'you are on the train or you are SO NOT' kind of show. We started watching it with our kid and really love it because of the world building and we have some fun conversations from it.

Dave I was so with you on the Dallas reveal! I watched that live with my mom and she was SO MAD. :)

• Love 2

I would like to apologize, to no one in particular, for the way I shouted "PEPTO BRISTOW!!" at the first game time question (before I realized pepto bismol cannot reasonably be considered a drink the way "ginger ale" can, and that the show is not named after its heroine).

Oh, don't worry, it was before I understood how the game worked exactly, so I was yelling "47-UP!" despite the fact that "47" probably has not stuck with the average Alias fan as long as, say, the name of the actual show.

• Love 2

I don't know if anyone is actually looking for feedback on this, but I always appreciate when the Canon submissions are compact and tight--especially when the show is one I haven't seen. I didn't really notice that this one was long, but I do wonder how it will go if that becomes the norm...?

I like it when it varies. I think the 2-3 minute suggestion in the submission guidelines is probably too short for a pitch to be successful (I have one I'm working on that's about five minutes without clips, but I'm not even sure clips would be workable anyway because the show isn't in English), but there are a few submissions that do feel like they just keep going and going.

• Love 1

Whoa, I think I have more or less driven past Fort Awesome before, on my way from Waikoloa to Waipio Valley to go horseback riding. There was a weirdly xenophobic laundromat in town, but everything else was lovely!

I enjoy all the regular podcasters of course, but I have really missed Joe's perspective, his dynamic with Tara and his automatic recall for obscure facts and dates. So heartwarming. Welcome back, Joe.

• Love 1

Did Liv record a recap for last weeks Face-Off when you guys were off?

No, we gave her the week off to relax and recharge. I think she went to the spa. (...Actually I just remembered Leah actually did take her to get nail art, so that was less of a joke than I originally thought.)

Blindspot: Patterson has an evil twin-- VanSylint-- who wears black and is over everything. She is also a black hat hacker and is effing around with her sister's case just for fun, for now. VanSylint, of course, will have to infiltrate the office and where a cute, on point ensemble and fool everyone that she is the cool, sweet geek they will kill to protect. Only Mayfair and her continuing paranoia  over how close Patterson is to her dirty laundry will twig to the evil twin thing and shoot her in the hip and threaten a fatal shoulder shot if VanSylint isn't smart. Patterson, though, has got NYPD on rescue  duty and has figured out enough of the current case that she slam dunks it remotely. Because Patterson is the poo, as my recapper has pointed out.

Empire: Becky has an evil twin, Riley.  Where Becky has worked her butt off keeping Lucious on point with his meetings and business-side stuff, she has also earned Lucious and the boys' trust as a confidante and advisor. Riley, tired of hearing about fancy club this and tickets for fancytime that, gets Becky to come back home for false reasons, drugs her and tries to ride the coattails of her sister's supposedly easy life. Once Riley gets there, she is bewildered and amused at the shenanigans the Lyons and their extended family go through. After a very sharp learning curve, Riley is starting to get good at Becky's job, but it's a late night recording session with Jamal that outs her as Riley. (She gives un-Becky-ish advice on Cookie and Hakeem.) Lucious, livid at the kidnapping of Becky and the business deals she flubbed by her ignorance, still respects how Riley kept cool under the tremendous pressure and gives her a role at Gutter Life Records.

edited because I don't know who runs Ghetto Life Records, but it isn't Lucious.

Edited by Actionmage

Penis Pals(Bosom Buddies) with Fey/Poehler.

Heh! I'd watch that; I watched BB when I was a teen.

Bonanza!  A mom and her three daughters in The Old West, who are super rich, never-married or widowed, yet the opposite gender keep throwing themselves at them? Sure!  Victoria Barkley couldn't have been the only kickass, matriarch of The Old West.

Bethel "Beth" Cartwright-Marcia Gay Harden   Anna Cartwright- Daisy Betts   Eglantine "Tina"/ "Tiny" Cartwright-Gina Carano   Josephine "Little Jo" Cartwright-  an "unknown" Native American young actress, Because it's 2015.

Hardcastle and McCormick! Same set-up : famed and framed car designer and old, crusty, gun-lovin' judge/ ex-judge solve the two hundred open cases the judge was never able to close! Transplant it to North Texas/ DFW  to break out of "The U.S. is either New York, L.A. or Chicago" rut.  Judge Briana "Bree" Hardcastle- Saundra Santiago (Miami Vice, The Sopranos, and just on Gotham)    Danielle Kelly "Deke" McCormick- Nasim Pedrad  ( Yes, the names are hat tips to the original actors.)

This Old House! With female builders and contractors and pros who don't use pink tools ( or at least not all of them). The guys who have made TOH great are pretty cool, but  shows not on cable seem to leave the ladies to interior design (read: decorating), if the ladies are there at all. Or in conjunction with their husband. Again, not evil, just male-skewing.  I would put forth some ideas for ladies to be in the show, but I don't know  if there would be any willing or able to take on this kind of show.

I will admit up front: I have never seen "Adventure Time" (ubiquitous gifs aside), I think the submitter did a good job with his case, and I'm not directing the following at him specifically.

However, I did flinch a little bit at the mention of the show's creative vernacular, like "oh my glob", as an offshoot of boyish imagination. If that's a big part of what this show is celebrated for, we as a culture owe Diablo Cody an apology. We probably do anyway.

Yeah, that kind of dialogue definitely strikes me as straight out Diablo Cody's brain. So much like Juno.