Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

I wish I could tell you it gets significantly better, but as much as it does get better I don't think it improves enough that you'd suddenly change your opinion on it. "Live action Thunderbirds parody with actual Hitler as a cartoonish villain" is pretty much a really-love-it-or-really-hate-it concept. And normally I'd be with you, but I can't entirely hate it because it did produce both the Sit Down Gun (which is why it came to mind with the discussion of the Plan Pony et al) and this amazing gif I use all the time:

himZD0M.gif

After that fantastic recap, I'm not convinced that Tara hasn't just stopped watching Under The Dome and is making all of this up. Because dear god, if this is something that CBS is actually airing I'd be tempted to just bag it all and go get a milkshake or something.

• Love 4

After that fantastic recap, I'm not convinced that Tara hasn't just stopped watching Under The Dome and is making all of this up. Because dear god, if this is something that CBS is actually airing I'd be tempted to just bag it all and go get a milkshake or something.

If I were making it up, it would MAKE MORE SENSE.

• Love 4

As does everyone, I love that episode of Melrose Place even though I remember nothing about it besides Kimberly ripping her wig off. My suite-mates and I spent the episode wondering if she shouldn't have had some sort of brain injury from the accident and coma, and then we all shrieked SO LOUD when the hair came off. I might even have had nightmares about the scar, too. So good.

Yeah!! Another season of Under the Dome! This is a unique experience to be rooting for the renewal of something that clearly is led by a bunch of incompetent people. But it makes me so happy! Stay mad Tara!

Also I love gofugyourself so having Heather and Jessica was awesome. I never comment on their site because I don't know squat about fashion however I'm a child of the 80s and I love CW series so I love every comment on their site. Bring them back if you can.

As soon as Heather said that her canon submission was one of her favorite nighttime soap episodes, before she even named the series I yelled out, "Kimberly rips off her wig!". And obviously I was not disappointed. That was a fantastic canon submission, the clips were all phenomenal, and of course it was unanimously inducted because...how could anyone deny that it is one of the most memorable moments in TV history? So crazy. So great.

I loved the Melrose submission -- I still  remember being on a Melrose Place recap listserv back in the day!  Nothing will ever top the Wig!  One note -- I tried to read the TWOP recap, and I can't read more than the first page -- does anyone know how to fix that? 

One note -- I tried to read the TWOP recap, and I can't read more than the first page -- does anyone know how to fix that? 

Try it on BrilliantButCancelled.com; I hear that works.

I may have spoken too soon on Dome (please, oh please). Linda Holmes tweeted at me from Nina Tassler's panel at the TCA press tour yesterday that the show was coming back, but apparently it's not official yet.

I'm forgetting now who made the comment "Trust your format" (regarding reality competition shows with too many twists) but that is *so* *true.* I once randomly had a brief conversation with a friend of a friend, a woman who had been a producer on Top Chef. She was on the Voltaggio Bros season (season 6?) and I said that I had loved that season because there were so few bullshit twists compared to the other seasons. It was excellent challenge design throughout (plus great contestants.) And she said that ultimately she was let go from the show because of her resistance to bullshit twists. Whoever TPTB were above her, they just wanted the short-term rush of cheap conflict generated by stupid twists.

Which brings me to Runway. I LOVED this show from the beginning, so much— and a season or two ago, I just... forgot to keep watching. It's such weak tea now. I think one of the reasons they can't find any good contestants now is not only that they've drained the pool dry, as you all said, but also that designers with actual skill look at the way the show is set up now — all one-day challenges, not enough time to create a collection, etc — and they say, no thanks.

The season you mentioned with Laura and Jeffrey was Season 3, when PR was arriving at its peak (I'd say Seasons 2-4 were the height of it.) Some really amazing work, from people with actual aesthetic points of view. As long as they keep trying to cheap-ass their way through it, they will never get results like that again. So I guess it goes right back to what everyone has said since Season 6 -- the switch of production companies and networks really killed the show and it has been slowly dying ever since.

ALSO: I was obsessed with "Pyramid" when I was a kid (and still am) so I love whenever it turns up on EHG (was the last time on EHG Mark I?) The terrible post-"Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" reboot with Donny Osmond was a dud -- they tried to screw with elements of the game that weren't in need of fixing.

Sometimes I'll go down a YouTube rabbit hole of watching Winner's Circle segments from Pyramid -- the classic one is Billy Crystal's 25-second record from 1977. It makes it look supremely easy. Watching the ones where they win in the nick of time can still get my pulse pounding -- like the GameTime today, which was awesome.

• Love 1

I have spent the last week slipping, "Hey made meh nastay!" into everyday conversation. For that alone, I thank you, Mark. It also fills me with absolute glee whenever we get to hear the Nonac induction song, and the ensuing guffaws from all of you.

• Love 1

Game time was so fun and all 4 players were really well matched. 

I admit, I physically recoiled in terror when Dave tried to give Tara helpful tips on how to give clues.  It was like someone tried to give Raylan Givens instructions on the operations of firearms.  I was afraid it was going to end in bloodshed. 

• Love 2

I was catching up on episode and listening to this in the car. During the "all" round my 3 year old son piped up from the backseat "No, it's "All My God". I was going ask if he can have a Dave point, but since there's no show called that, I probably shouldn't.

Great canon submission. Hilarious and on point. Season 2 actually had one of my favorite Billy moments (which were rare) when Amanda tried to blackmail him and he literally just went "bye" and left. Then he didn't do the thing where he confessed his secret to avoid the blackmail. He just waited for it to play out. Now his mouth noises will haunt my dreams probably.

You weren't kidding about how much they packed into Melrose Place; I haven't seen it since its initial run, and when I heard the canon submission described, I was in disbelief that that was still in season 2 (essentially season 1 of Melrose Place As We Know It). By that point Michael had already been through Jane, Kimberley, and Sydney.

One thing that occurred to me is that the name "Jake" never came up in the recap %u2014 wasn't he at one time the ostensible star/audience surrogate? I know he was the subject of the 90210 backdoor pilot.

Seconded on wishing more had come out of Thomas Calabro. For such a successful show, it sure didn't launch many careers.

I'd just like to officially apologize for calling Sweden, "no, THE OTHER ONE."

I knew what you meant, I think because I used to confuse Switzerland and Sweden. And I seriously have no idea how you give clues for Sweden. Everything I could think of is actually Switzerland. The Alps, chocolate, being neutral, army knives. Someone please tell me, what is distinct about Sweden?

I mean, I don't know if I'm forgetting some limitations on clues, but couldn't you just say that its capital is Stockholm? I'd probably mention Scandinavia. Perhaps gummy fish. Someone brought up massages as a possible clue. Oh! And ABBA!

But of course all of this is so much easier to think of when you're not under pressure in the game. In that situation sometimes your brain gets stuck on something (like the notion that Heidi is from Sweden) and it's impossible to get it unstuck.

Edited by smrou

I knew what you meant, I think because I used to confuse Switzerland and Sweden. And I seriously have no idea how you give clues for Sweden. Everything I could think of is actually Switzerland. The Alps, chocolate, being neutral, army knives. Someone please tell me, what is distinct about Sweden?

FX's now-dead The Bridge is a remake of a Swedish show? In the calm of no time pressure, I can say Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Ikea, but in the heat of the game, it's HARD.