Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Jeremy Piven. Mr. Selfridge should be my perfect show. It's got period costumes and yearning! But then they cast Piven and ruined everything.

I'm still so mad about it.

• Love 1

Did Tara say "hate-on", similar to hard on?

I still find Zach Braff fun and charming.

I don't know if this counts as a dealbreaker since she's moved on to films, and I'm sure this is not a popular opinion, but I really could not stand Kristen Wiig on SNL. All of her characters grated on me in exactly the same way, even when the sketches were funny I couldn't watch them. Apart from Bridesmaids, I have actively avoided all of her films specifically because of her - and I really wanted to see the Skeleton Twins.

Yes! I am not on board with Kirsten Wiig.

I had to look up Elizabeth Reaser too, and OMG-yes! I haven't seen her in much (haven't seen Mad Men-don't shoot me), but ugh is she bad in what I have seen.

• Love 1

My weird dealbreaker is Jennifer Anniston. Just don't like her. BUT when I've been dragged into something that she's in it's usually not awful and she can be kind of charming. But still my unreasonable dislike. ??? 

• Love 1

I'm shocked Milo Ventimiglia didn't make the list. I feel like he has that Elizabeth Reaser thing of getting onto high profile shows.

I have an irrational dislike of Katie Holmes. I have nothing against her as a person but I don't think I have liked a single one of her characters. I have the same thing about Nicholas D'Agosto. He's a handsome man who has bravely played some unlikable characters but I don't think all of his characters were meant to be unlikable. It could be an issue of writing in some of these cases but either way.

• Love 4

Oh god yes, Milo Ventimiglia. I stopped watching Gilmore Girls soon after he turned up because he annoyed me so much and he was the worst thing about Heroes.

When Sarah listed "What Happened to Aunt Diane?" as one of the HBO docs to watch, I had such a visceral reaction (while driving, nonetheless). To call it 'haunting' isn't enough. It's a great documentary, one that will stick with you looooong after you watch it.

• Love 1

I made the mistake of drinking coffee during the first 15 minutes. This segment alone is worth the Dome atrocity being on the air. And the return of "Worse Than Jazz?"! Woo hoo!

There was actually a previous Game Time with series finale episode titles as well as the one with final lines -- the hint was the second-to-last episode title. (I only know this because I submitted it, because why would anyone else keep track of this stuff?)

Love the Doogs ad!

Look, I'm not proud that I'm still watching Under the Dome (well, DVRing and then fast-forwarding through about 75% of it, but still). I know I'm part of the problem. But Tara's rage recaps are one of my favorite things about summer.

Well, my answer to this question WOULD have been Shiri Appleby, a woman who ruined even a mediocre Gavin DeGraw music video for me, but then I watched UnREAL, and apparently the years since Roswell have been amazing for her acting skills.

Jessica Biel, 100% though. There's a woman who has the wrong job. Should have been a model, not an actress.

Marc Blucas will always be Riley Finn to me, and that's a problem for him in anything else.

Nitpick: "What Kind of Day Has It Been" was the title of the first season finale of The West Wing (also the first season finale of Sports Night), not the series finale.

I made the mistake of drinking coffee during the first 15 minutes. This segment alone is worth the Dome atrocity being on the air.

Seriously. That was some good shit. I love it when you guys hate on stuff! (See also: that Rocko's Modern Life canon submission.)

You know, there are a lot of fanfiction contests on the internet but one I remember seeing was a badfic contest. In that, you intentionally wrote horrible fic that parodied all the other bad fic out there. This included poor characterization, ignoring your own canon, no use of logic. Maybe the writers of Under the Dome are in such a challenge. I dropped it a long time ago, but the way you guys talk about it makes it seem like day drinking on the set wouldn't be frowned upon. I could hear the rage in your voices while talking about it and that was sort of amazing. I like to pretend it doesn't exist otherwise like Sarah, I would be furious it's on the air while good shows are getting cancelled.

I loved the "Worse Than Jazz" discussion.

Love the game time.

Seriously. That was some good shit. I love it when you guys hate on stuff! (See also: that Rocko's Modern Life canon submission.)

Agreed. There's a Masterchef Australia (yes, Australia, not US) episode I'm planning to submit to the Nonac for exactly this reason. You want to know how bad it is? It will make you hate the Dalai Lama.

An epic takedown of an execrable show. Sarah's comment about Eriq La Salle's need for paychecks for child support ("Who's your child? GREECE?") was my personal favorite moment.

I hated Constance Zimmer on Joan of Arcadia and Grey's Anatomy and I wasn't too excited about her on House of Cards.  She better do something fabulous on Unreal to make up for it.

And speaking of Grey's, Melissa George could have picked a better way to ingratiate herself to me after her turn in Alias.

• Love 1

I hated Constance Zimmer on Joan of Arcadia and Grey's Anatomy and I wasn't too excited about her on House of Cards.  She better do something fabulous on Unreal to make up for it.

I didn't see her on most of those, but she's pretty great on UnREAL: apparently the show that is rescuing dealbreaker actors left and right.

Ah a "hey it's that guy!" I didn't know her name until you mentioned her here. I really like her weird voice but I bet it's why some people hate her. 

• Love 1
(edited)

And speaking of Grey's, Melissa George could have picked a better way to ingratiate herself to me after her turn in Alias.

Melissa George is mine too, and I would feel a little guilty about it because she really does end up in some thankless roles--I'm sure I hated "Lauren" more than MG herself--but to be honest, she's never impressed me in anything, and she seriously cannot do an accent to save her life. Not sure what her native accent is, but she probably doesn't even sound natural doing that one anymore.

ETA: Ha, just listened to this week's Main podcast, where Tara talks about how MG used to be her dealbreaker too, for the same reasons until she appeared on TGW. I don't watch that, but may have to check it out sometime...

Edited by Carrie Ann

Never Not Funny was referenced, and I'm curious: which episode has the Newsroom rant? Because the show notes are a bit of a joke, and I seem to love good Newsroom rants, just like I love Under the Dome rants.

We JUST listened to it, so it was either 1520 (Adam Ferrara) or 15T (Rich Sommer).

My favorite drug ad side effect was for an anti-anxiety med that promised to get you out of the house and socializing with people, but it would also cause loose bowels. Congrats! You finally got over your anxiety--too bad you sh!t your pants in front of everyone.

I think it's been established that Netflix use long title sequences without a pre-credit sequence to give your computer time to cache some of the episode and get your stream up to HD quality - not purely for style reasons. If you watch back-to-back via PC, your computer skips the credits.

• Love 2

I loved that credit sequence crackpot theory so much, even though I think of the whole bunch it was by far the crackpotiest theory, because it was so affectionate and almost poetic about the TV viewing experience. I wish I could embrace credit sequences so warmly. And when it's a good one and really matches the mood of the show I totally agree; one example that comes to mind is Buffy because that song totally pumps me up for the show in just the right way and I would never ever skip it. But often that's just not the case. I actually don't mind the lengthy OITNB credits even when binge-watching, but I also recently watched Sense8 on Netflix and that credits sequence was equally long (longer, maybe?) and boring as hell and you better bet I skipped it every time. Also, I think it took about four episodes of watching Friends back in the day before I was sick to death of freaking "I'll Be There For You" and was thankful that I was never home when the show aired and therefore was watching on VHS and could fast-forward right through that dreck. 

Also, the crackpot theory about weirdo asshole "genius" characters was awesome and hilarious. 

• Love 1

My best friend used to come over every Monday night to watch Alias when we were teenagers/early 20s and we had an Alias dance that we did every week to that theme song. Even if we could have skipped the titles (which we couldn't because early 2000s), I don't think we ever would have.

I loved all the I Am Not A Crackpot topics as well as the surprise Game Time.

I think if you do name the first episodes of series, you could put (pilot) along with the title. Best of both worlds.

Shorter seasons is a split decision for me. Obviously, a lot of shows shouldn't last beyond a season (or a couple). Some could keep going for years with quality. It's probably right that mythology series should at the very least have shorter seasons because audiences do keep track of continuity errors. Even if there is only one show someone watches passionately, they know enough to know when those mistakes are made.

I also think shows should also be allowed to retool and change the formula if they need to keep things interesting. However, I am slightly annoyed with the revolving door of characters on "The Mindy Project" if for no other reason as half the time they fail to explain why characters left.

Answering the door right away does bug but you could get around it fairly easily. Either show the door opening rather than the character knocking/ringing or allow characters to talk while waiting for the door to open.

• Love 2