Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I have to say, even playing along with hot potato at home was hard. I thought of Tru Calling but didn't know if it would count for spelling reasons.

If nothing else, the canon submission made me go back and start watching FNL again and it was lovely. Coach/Tami are the best.

I'm glad to hear Wet Hot American Summer lives up to expectations. Arrested Development kind of scared me on the revival front. It had it's moments, but it wasn't up to par.

Kim's Most Awesome Thing I Watched On TV Last Week was a delight. Thank you for that.

ETA: I found a review for Star Cops that read Too Good For TV?  I'm so curious.

Edited by gpgurl50

Okay, I haven't listened to the whole episode yet but I had to come here immediately after the Starburst commercial to say this: Sarah is right and Tara is wrong wrong WRONG. Strawberry is clearly the best Starburst flavor. 

Also I had no idea there was a time when there was no Cherry (the second best flavor).

• Love 1

Both have gross kiddie toucher Stephen Collins

One of mine is All The President's Men, which I once watched straight through twice in a row on Sundance, and that also contains a very young GKTSC.

JAWS was inducted onto The Couch Of Fame; I encourage you to submit entries that aren't on the master list yet. You get free stuff! http://tomatonation.com/culture-and-criticism/poppy-fields-movies-the-couch-of-fame/

• Love 3

No joke, hearing the literally 20-second clip of Coach Taylor's motivational speech in that FNL canon submission made me tear up. That show/character has more power over me than it should. Yikes. Also, now I want to go back and rewatch it all.

God, I remember when they introduced it (#olderthandirt) and I was so sad because 1) it wasn't lime, and 2) I don't feature cherry-flavored shteez at all.

At least they didn't replace it with something truly disgusting like green apple *grumbleskittlesgrumble*.

• Love 2

Oh man, having Kim Reed on the show reminded me of all the awesome Little House recaps she used to do on the old EHG. Love ya, Kim! #ForTheLoveOfBlanche

• Love 1

Has nobody heard of a little program called MR. SHOW?  Y'all are killing me.

Just kidding. That was surprisingly hard.

I was also surprised that no one mentioned Mr. Show, mainly because EHG Mark I is the only reason why I know Mr. Show exists.

Also, I came up with the exact same "Family blank" answers as the contestants and got stumped exactly when they did. That one was really hard, for some reason.

• Love 1

Game Time author here. This one was hard, but I like them that way! For the record, I wouldn't have given credit to "Madman" or "Clubhouse" -- including blanks as part of a larger word would have been madness as far as research goes. This is also why I cut out prepositions. And even then I missed some! "(blank) Word" was a lot harder to pull data on than "Word (blank)" - which is why I missed some of those in "(blank) Love."

So happy to hear Little House on the Prairie! The thing that is extra crazy about that episode is that there is one a few seasons earlier where Ma is actually pregnant and has the exact opposite conversation with the Doc - "Oh, I know it's just the 'change' and I've accepted it." "No, Caroline. You're pregnant."

• Love 1

I would watch Sarah's Tired Detective show. Sounds more engaging than what I'm hearing about s2 True Detective.

Also, please sign me up for the Dracula Minis.

Possessed Marlena was the first thing I thought of when I read the description--that was such an awesomely bonkers story line.  Although I would have put her on Supernatural purely because Jensen Ackles played Eric Brady on Days of Our Lives and I can't believe they haven't done that stunt-casting yet.

That game time was the most difficult one I've heard, I think. I'm usually a champion of playing along at home/work, but I blanked out after the top guess in just about every category.

I'm very surprised that FNL episode didn't make it into the canon. I always thought Coach Taylor's 'let's get back to it being just a game!' was more in response to the particular events of the episode, specifically things like Matt receiving an anonymous wad of cash, than any sudden belief on his part that the game shouldn't be taken seriously or the team shouldn't give any less than its all. Additionally, I kind of feel like Lyla suddenly being awesome should make it canon-worthy all on its own.

Thank you, though, for minimizing that terrible Riggins/irritating neighbor child storyline! Coincidentally, the ep of SVU with the irritating neighbor child was just rerun here last night, and I turned it off immediately. That kid ruins everything!

I always thought Deirdre Hall looked a lot like Judith Light, so I'd cast her on SVU as an estranged relative of Light's Elizabeth Donnelly. She could have a multiple episode arc where she's, like, trying to put her life back together and everyone is rooting for her, until she realizes it would be so much easier if she just took over Elizabeth Donnelly's life for herself and traps Elizabeth in a well. SVU investigates Elizabeth's disappearance, even though it's in no way a sex crime.

Zodiac, Reversal of Fortune, Silence of the Lambs, all of the Oceans movies... I'll even do the new Italian Job and I know it's terrible but I still watch it. Oh also Primal Fear and of course A Few Good Men (hee I'm one of the nominators!) and Jaws and so many more. If The Aviator is on my husband cannot turn it off. Also he will then for the rest of the day/week/month turn to me and say "Show me all the blueprints" and "Come in with the MILK" over and over again... it's fun living in our house. OH Also Se7en. Good for yelling "What's in the box?!" and various other jokey bits we do when watching certain things. 

Nobody mentioned the scene I remember best from that FNL episode - where all the characters slide around on the mud at the end because it was such a believable "We've won and don't give a damn about anything else!" moment, which is pretty much how fans DO feel after a major triumph.

Game time was hard, but as a Trekkie I was disappointed it took so much prompting to get he players to run through the entire Trek canon. Nor did anyone mention Star Cops - given the players encyclopaedic knowledge of TV I wouldn't have thought the fact that it only ran for 9 episodes 30 years ago to not think of it (or it could be 'm just an SF nerd)!

(edited)

My Poppy Field Movies list is very long, but my top ones are probably -

The Firm, Erin Brokovich, Ocean's 11, The Fugitive, Steel Magnolias, and Working Girl.

Ladies of the 80s: Working Girl, Baby Boom, and Overboard.

Absolutely in total agreement here! See also: Big Business.

Both have gross kiddie toucher Stephen Collins

One of my all-time favorite Poppy Field Movies is a tv-movie from 1971 called "The Promise" which stars GKTSC. I've probably seen this film, at least in parts, over 75 times in my lifetime and I was heartbroken when Netflix removed it last month, most likely for good. Thanks a lot Collins!

Edited by Kat
  • Love 1

No joke, hearing the literally 20-second clip of Coach Taylor's motivational speech in that FNL canon submission made me tear up. That show/character has more power over me than it should. Yikes. Also, now I want to go back and rewatch it all.

You're not alone. I cried twice during the submission I think. Probably because I went to HS in Texas and am homesick at the moment. But also because FNL is the best. 

• Love 1

RE: The Crackpot discussion and phones. FWIW, My brother works for a relatively large law firm in Manhattan, and they *just* upgraded to Windows phones after years of Blackberrys, so maybe outdated tech even for fancy lawyers isn't so ridiculous?

• Love 2

RE: The Crackpot discussion and phones. FWIW, My brother works for a relatively large law firm in Manhattan, and they *just* upgraded to Windows phones after years of Blackberrys, so maybe outdated tech even for fancy lawyers isn't so ridiculous?

Yep we have a lawyer at our firm who has a plug in that allows him to use Word Perfect. It might as well be DOS. Lord.

• Love 2

Game Time author here. This one was hard, but I like them that way! For the record, I wouldn't have given credit to "Madman" or "Clubhouse" -- including blanks as part of a larger word would have been madness as far as research goes.

Well, that answers a question I had. During the "Mister" round, I wondered not only if you could add on to the word but also if spelling mattered or only sound, because I thought of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

• Love 1

A couple of years ago I bought a bunch of the movies that would fall into that group for me, and yet would still watch them when they came on -- The Devil Wears Prada, Love Actually, Under The Tuscan Sun, Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, Chocolat and the Sex and the City movie all immediately come to mind in this group.

Since I've cut off cable, pretty much any and all HGTV programming has become my go-to "hotel" tv, when I'm on the road for work or visiting family.  Are they going to Love It or List It? Who's going to win at Flea Market Flip? Let's find out!

I am so glad to hear that people thought the Game Time was hard because I felt super dumb while doing it! The pressure of imagining all the listeners yelling at their listening devices at home like "Family GUY dummies!" did not help.

• Love 2

I was going to back up Dave on the Steve Allen & Jayne Meadows bit on St. Elsewhere, but then he looked it up for the end of the episode. I'll just add in that they were playing the parents of Ed Begley Jr.

And as someone who owns a copy of the novelization of Starlost, I'm completely on board with that idea for a reboot.

I would also back up Dave on the St. Elsewhere plotline. St. Elsewhere also had a crazy episode where Betty White played military representative visiting the hospital. At the end of the episode Betty walks past the psych ward where a patient calls her "Sue Ann" after her "Mary Tyler Moore Show" character. Betty, of course, doesn't know what the guy is talking about, but he insists because he watches the show every day in the ward. And he is Mary Richards! Furthermore, the actor playing the guy was also Eliot Carlin in "The Bob Newhart Show" and all three series were produced by MTM Productions. We're through the looking glass, people.

• Love 1

Ellison haaaaated The Starlost (admittedly, he's a self-admitted grump and kind of an asshole, and I say it as a massive fan) as it aired, to the point where he had his name removed from it and used the pseudonym he uses specifically for shit he's disowned.

He went on about it at length in one of his books, and released the pilot as a novel, and I remember it as quite good.

• Love 1

Ellison haaaaated The Starlost (admittedly, he's a self-admitted grump and kind of an asshole, and I say it as a massive fan) as it aired, to the point where he had his name removed from it and used the pseudonym he uses specifically for shit he's disowned.

He went on about it at length in one of his books, and released the pilot as a novel, and I remember it as quite good.

Ooooh I remember that. He was even more pissy than usual. I love him but yes he's not shy about hating adaptations.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love the concept of arc ships, and since that very similar planet was recently found, that kind o a sow is actually kin of relevant. I'd be happy to watch that.

My votes:

A)  Pick back up: Backstrom ; it surprised me after a nasty pilot. I will only be greedy for a second, 13 episode season- why push our luck?

B) Next Gen: Burke's Law; Make the lead Burke's granddaughter ( her mom is Sharon Gless!), and she takes down Big Fish in legal and not-exactly legal ways. A mix of Burn Notice, Leverage and The Closer. The first season, at least, can be based in LA and leave out the era-appropriate -isms, but bring in more diversity.

C) Reboot: Wonder Woman; the character's been rebooted somewhere around 3 to 6 times in the comics since the show aired,so I don't get why someone can't pick a version and get on it.  Especially if TV and movie franchises are supposed to be separate.  Just keep David E. Kelly away from the whole thing.

D) Stay dead: (tie) Soul Train and American Bandstand; the hosts were everything for those shows. Since Don Cornelius and Dick Clark are spinning the hits in a better place, leave the names be. ( Not that there are tons of Saturday afternoon dance and music shows anymore, but for the nostalgic, a plea.)

Edited by Actionmage

I can be pedantic, I enjoy writing game show questions, and when I was in my 20s I looked remarkably like David Schwimmer. So I'm willing to take that one for the team.

• Love 2