Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: The Osterman Umbrella Company

• Start Topic

Episode Description:

Red directs Liz to investigate a secret organization of assassins hired by global intelligence agencies to eliminate former agents, a case with ramifications that will change the Task Force forever.

Note: This is the second hour of 'a 2 hour event' (oh those NBC promo weasels and their fancy titles).

10 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

I knew the minute Samar talked Aram into splitting up she was going to take off without him. I was surprised when Red snuffed Levi though.

We all did.;)

We also knew she was the target and that Levi betrayed her.

But yeah, didn't see the execution coming.

Edited by edhopper
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Where do they find these assassins? All this "reject from a Bond Villain Academy" had to do was introduce herself and shake Samar's hand. 

Now Aram will be he villain next week. Terrible! Too bad his punch didn't put Red on the floor.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

Where do they find these assassins? All this "reject from a Bond Villain Academy" had to do was introduce herself and shake Samar's hand. 

I have to admit I found it amusing that she killed herself.  Especially the scene and look on her face when she realized it.

• Love 5

Well, now Red's lost his immunity deal beings he's back to killing anyone he gets in a tiz with.

Next week: Aram is Blacklister No. What?

3 minutes ago, Just my 2 cents said:

I have to admit I found it amusing that she killed herself.  Especially the scene and look on her face when she realized it.

I got a kick out of that too, although I was expecting it. What a dumbass assassin though. And that fight went on HOW long and she never put that hand on Samar? Alrighty then. But talk about a downer for that resort. And Aram's credit card.

The car crash did take me by surprise and was pretty cool. But boy howdy, that was one big lot of bullets being fired in close quarters for no one even getting a scratch, not even a bad guy.

I will admit I did tear up at the end during that phone call when Aram said how will she get along without him to take care of her. Awwww ... that was sweet.

No mention of bones, dogs, kids, grandkids, daddys, sisters ... on to next week I guess.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Just my 2 cents said:

She had the "did the writers really make me look this f#$king stupid?" face. 

The Mossad knows how to take care of their own if they are not feeling well. Agents should never to tell HR if they have a headache and need to go home (they send an assassin to bring a bottle of aspirin).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

But boy howdy, that was one big lot of bullets being fired in close quarters for no one even getting a scratch, not even a bad guy.

Somewhere Sonny Corleone has his middle finger up to this scene!

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 1
17 minutes ago, Mysteyman said:

Glad that I saw an article saying that this was her last night.

I didn't read the details, but, at least I was expecting it.

Apparently she sent out a message on her twitter account telling her followers that she was ready to leave after 5 years.  I had no idea.  She will be missed.

• Love 3

ON 3/26/2019 AT 12:42 AM, VINCEW SAID:

"Samar goes into hiding with Reddington's help after confrontation with task force assassins?  Samar missing from the show at this point will forestall the highly touted love story put forth by the show runner at the beginning of the season."

I give credit to the writers for the Stark fake out, but there were too many clues going forward about Samar's ongoing health problems to ignore that she was leaving the show given the latest reveal about some form of dementia   When Aram gave that medical info to Levi, I wondered if the writers would let her last appearance end peacefully. The writers did their best to put Mossad in the worst possible light. Red did help Samar in the end, but not how I expected for the "love story" to continue as defined by show runner Bokenkamp. No surprise now that the couple went the whole season until this episode before Samar and Aram had any kind of real personal interaction outside the office. There was never going to be a wedding. Best wishes to Mozhan Marno for the future.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 2

I was kind of hoping the FBI team would set up Samar and Aram somewhere in suburban Connecticut under false identities, with a couple of dogs and a kid, you know, as their cover story. 

Well, at least I filled in two of the top ten Blacklisters.

• LOL 2

Honestly, who communicates via chess pieces ?  That is just weak.

This dude uses old school Russian assassin techniques, in this case it's the old poison tipped ring.
Why wouldn't that woman fall straight down instead of tumbling over the railing ?  On to the conveniently empty restaurant seating area below where a display case just happens to be located to break her fall.  That was just supremely stupid, even for this show.

Even stupider -- she was facing towards the guy she was with and started to fall to her right, but then the camera pulls back to show her falling to her left, over a railing that was tall enough that it would have stopped her from tumbling over the railing.  Even the continuity guys have checked out on this show.

The Osterman Umbrella Company is No. 6. No. 6 ???  Are you shitting me ?

Come on Aram, Samar can't even remember her favorite foods and you are pulling out the romantic weekend nonsense.

So, is Reddington sick ?  Drinking green blended crappy tasting drinks, asking about clinical trials ?  Pills from Dr. Stark.  Or is he still recovering from the party of the previous episode ?

Just because these contracted assassins' next target is on US soil, doesn't mean it is an American.  That's a pretty big conclusion to jump to Harold -- if only there was some sort of mat for that.  Hmmm.  It takes Reddington no time to figure out that the target isn't American.

The python was just stupid.

Hawley, PA -- not to be confused with Hawley, Nova Scotia, even though it has more snow than Truro from last episode.

Watching that assassin keep trying to prick Samar with her outstretched hand, all I could think of was -- I am for you, Samar Navabi.
How in the hell did either of these Osterman Umbrella Company assassins not prick their own hands with those rings ?  Whoops, spoke too soon I guess.
What a stupid, stupid premise for an assassination technique.  Like, unbelievably stupid.  Their cover is an umbrella company, come up with something a little more creative than that, maybe involving an umbrella -- the Russians used to use that method as well.  

Seriously, the writers are just terrible on this show.  What's next, a musical episode ?

From Hawley, PA to Lakeville, PA -- we're all over Pennsylvania.  I'm just surprised Mrs. Abramson wasn't trying to kill Samar, everyone else was.  </sarcasm>
Both are real places, but there's no way that Lakeville has a hospital that large with a population of under a 1000 people.

Oh, come on -- they fired so many bullets at Aram's car it was basically swiss cheese, but neither one came out with barely any additional scratches.  And that was after being hit by another car.  And somehow, even though Samar and Aram could hear the sirens, the troopers never even saw them hightailing it into the woods.  Who called the police exactly ?  There were no other cars on the road that would have seen the "accident" ?

Aram really isn't that smart sometimes -- sure, we'll meet in the 3 hours, but we need to separate here in the Pennsylvania woods right now.  
Gullible much ?  He's never going to see her again.

Who picks the music for this show ?  That song over the end with mopey Aram was not a good choice.

As Samar closed that window on the plane, I expected a giant hand with a poison ring to show up outside the plane and stab Samar. 
Because the Osterman Umbrella Company is just that good.

Please let this be the end of the Aram/Samar chapter of this show -- of course Aram won't let it go, and he will be "done with Reddington", but much like Lizzie he will be back on board at the Post Office soon once he realizes how much better off he is without Samar.  Maybe Red can get him a chinchilla.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The python was just stupid. 

4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Who picks the music for this show ?

See, Red should have just played the music for his victim and he would have confessed immediately.  "Make it stop, PLEASE"

Is Aram really going back to work for the FBI, especially for that unit, after what they have just done to him?  Yeah, they might try the old 'It was for Samar's safety, Aram' trick, but, as obsessive as he is, he won't be able to trust any of them again.

25 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Is Aram really going back to work for the FBI, especially for that unit, after what they have just done to him? 

I know. And after he filled out all that paperwork in HR, getting his last paycheck and PTO money, filing for COBRA, getting Dead or Alive 6 off the company computer ... now he has to do all of that in reverse to get back on the company dole.

I'm not sure the unit is to blame for what happened to Aram though. He dropped the dime on Samar and if he hadn't gotten that call at the lodge ... well, the Prime Assassin still would be dead in his cabin when he got back to Samar. And it was her idea to ditch Aram, Red just helped. So not Red's fault. Aram should thank Red because Aram's "love" isn't some magic shield. Plus, money, people. Samar had a go bag, Aram, not so much.

Looking forward to evil Aram though.

Oh, but the ending ... at least Ressler can understand, except his true love was murdered. Now THAT'S a harsh ending.

• Love 2

Question: Does anyone know what's happened to Dom, played by Brian Dennehy? Wasn't he suppose to be some big puzzle piece in the question of who Red really is? Like he was Lizzie's grandpa or something?

Not that any of the writers remember that story line.

• Love 2

I skipped most of this season because I got bored of Red in prison pretty quickly.   That being said I did like this episode because Aram and Samar are two really good characters and the show did have a pretty good payoff with Samar being injured.   You could argue that it was stupid of Aram to tell anyone about Samar but even with all he knows he is basically an innocent and honest man who thought he was actually helping so I hold nothing against him.   He is also the one person who never turned against Liz or Red even with all the evidence saying he should.   So having Red take the one thing he cares about most in the world is an interesting turn.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

You could argue that it was stupid of Aram to tell anyone about Samar but even with all he knows he is basically an innocent and honest man who thought he was actually helping so I hold nothing against him

Yes, but he's also very naive.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I skipped most of this season because I got bored of Red in prison pretty quickly.   That being said I did like this episode because Aram and Samar are two really good characters and the show did have a pretty good payoff with Samar being injured.   You could argue that it was stupid of Aram to tell anyone about Samar but even with all he knows he is basically an innocent and honest man who thought he was actually helping so I hold nothing against him.   He is also the one person who never turned against Liz or Red even with all the evidence saying he should.   So having Red take the one thing he cares about most in the world is an interesting turn.

I would like to see this happen. Everyone has their pressure point.

5 hours ago, Drusilla said:

So having Red take the one thing he cares about most in the world is an interesting turn.

Actually, for Aram, this situation is worse than having Samar dead. He knows she's alive (maybe), doesn't know where she is, can't ever see or talk to her and he has to live with this possibly for the rest of his life. He has every right to be pissed to the max at Red.  It will be interesting to see how this unfolds in the future.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, preeya said:

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds in the future.

Spinoff!  Aram and Samar, working out of an ever mobile jet, taking on the bad guys, solving codes, kicking ass, and siphoning money to pay for it all.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Drusilla said:

Was Ressler in this episode (I haven't had the energy to watch it yet) or was he just another rent-a-Fed stereotype?

He was present but didn't accomplish much. No suspect-chasing fails this time around and no scenes with him admitting that he's a big lunkhead like the previous episode (where he starts bitching at the very sight of books). He had a good emotional moment comforting Aram at the end of the episode although I couldn't help but think he'd be the second-last person Aram would want to see at that moment. The hand that Ressler puts on Aram's shoulder is the same hand that got to know Navabi intimately while Aram was still trying to figure out how to tie his shoes around her.

Escape plots where the characters intentionally isolate themselves despite having access to resources are always silly. Samar and Aram leave the resort but if they had just stayed there a little while longer they would have been back in the protective custody of the FBI. The parade of assassins didn't show up when all the cops were standing right there. Same idea with "oh no, we can't go back to the Post Office, the bad guys will certainly be watching it!" Sure bad guys, gather yourselves at the building full of FBI agents. I know bad guys have infiltrated the post office before but one would hope they learned from those times and have added some security, especially in situations where they know what to expect!

The idea that the Umbrella Company will never stop coming is also a silly one. They're already down one assassin, two others left a very messy trail behind and their Mossad contact was kidnapped and (presumably) killed. The FBI knows about the company and someone from the company has been kidnapped and tortured by America's Most Wanted. These things cost extra! At some point they must be willing to turn to Mossad and say "you know what guys? This one is more difficult than we thought so you're going to have to give us much more money because our whole operation is compromised now."

Edited by dwmarch
extra letter snuck in there
  • Love 1

I'm tired of Aram being a naive little goofy puppy tripping over his own giant paws.  Even if he's not a field agent he's at least technically kind of a spy/agent and spends all of his time with spies/agents and criminals.   You'd think at the very least the fake girlfriend would have taught him to not just trust everyone and everything.  

Also, Lizzie didn't do anything annoying this week because she wasn't on screen enough, but if I was Red I'd put her up for adoption.

• Love 6
On 3/31/2019 at 2:32 AM, dwmarch said:

.....The idea that the Umbrella Company will never stop coming is also a silly one. They're already down one assassin, two others left a very messy trail behind and their Mossad contact was kidnapped and (presumably) killed. The FBI knows about the company and someone from the company has been kidnapped and tortured by America's Most Wanted. These things cost extra! At some point they must be willing to turn to Mossad and say "you know what guys? This one is more difficult than we thought so you're going to have to give us much more money because our whole operation is compromised now."

When Samar gets settled in her new country, she can spill some Mossad intel to Cooper to act on with a warning from him that more to come unless the hit contract is stopped.  Red takes out another Mossad operative with feet cut off to symbolize that Umbrella Company can't chase/stalk Samar any longer. It makes no sense that the FBI and Defense Dept can't protect 24/7 any member of Task Force. Making Aram some kind of evil doer is a silly story line.

Edited by VinceW
TBL taken off my weekly 'must' watch list
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, preeya said:

Actually, for Aram, this situation is worse than having Samar dead. He knows she's alive (maybe), doesn't know where she is, can't ever see or talk to her and he has to live with this possibly for the rest of his life. He has every right to be pissed to the max at Red.

I don't know why everything thinks Red kidnapped Samar so Aram has to hate Red. Samar didn't want Aram to come with her from the get-go, SHE is the one who ditched Aram. Red just saved her life and will take care of her for the rest of it, something Aram could not do and never could. So for Aram to be pissed at anyone is stupid. He should be thanking Red from the bottom of his heart.

I also think Red would let Aram know if Samar turns completely veg, or dies. Because both are going to happen. How could Aram possibly take care of Samar when she completely loses her memory/ability to think or function?

Aram is just pissed because he's pissed. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. I'd be fine with Red introducing him to a plastic bag and putting him out of his misery.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 3/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Yeah, they might try the old 'It was for Samar's safety, Aram'

It really was, though. Aram sticking with her would make her survival much less likely.

All Samar had to say was that she would never be safe with him, because he doesn't have the skills to protect them. They could never break up if she grew tired of him, because he would have been found and tortured until he revealed her whereabouts.  He would say that they'd never split up, and that he would never crack. She would say that she couldn't take that chance. His heart would be broken, but it might have worked and he wouldn't be able to blame anyone but himself.  (He mIght then kill himself, though.)

Aram was surprised to find out that Samar was on the committee that chose which agents to eliminate.  I expected her to say that she had been one of the relentless eliminators.

At least we know why Samar didn't tell Cooper her diagnosis.  It would have been nice if she had shared her reasons with Aram.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't know why everything thinks Red kidnapped Samar so Aram has to hate Red. Samar didn't want Aram to come with her from the get-go, SHE is the one who ditched Aram. Red just saved her life and will take care of her for the rest of it, something Aram could not do and never could. So for Aram to be pissed at anyone is stupid. He should be thanking Red from the bottom of his heart.

I also think Red would let Aram know if Samar turns completely veg, or dies. Because both are going to happen. How could Aram possibly take care of Samar when she completely loses her memory/ability to think or function?

Aram is just pissed because he's pissed. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. I'd be fine with Red introducing him to a plastic bag and putting him out of his misery.

Cooper got them clean passports that couldn't be traced by Mossad and booked them safe passage to Taiwan where they would have been ghosts (Cooper's word's). Ressler gave Aram the name of someone he could contact for help in SouthEast Asia. All this was a go until Red walked in and gave the bad news to Aram. I think he was justified in being pissed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Cooper got them clean passports that couldn't be traced by Mossad and booked them safe passage to Taiwan where they would have been ghosts (Cooper's word's). Ressler gave Aram the name of someone he could contact for help in SouthEast Asia.

Yeah, because that FBI office has never been infiltrated and is staffed with the most highly competent agents ever. NOT. We've seen them fail season after season. And a big yes to Aram being tortured to give Samar up if he knew where she was. That's just a given. The Mossad would have found them both within the week, "ghosts" or not. Mostly not.

I'm captain of Team Red in this case.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

All Samar had to say was that she would never be safe with him, because he doesn't have the skills to protect them.

While I agree with this one hundred percent, if she had done this the writers would have to come up with a new plot for the next episode to replace their scheduled Aram vs. Red. So there's that.

• Love 1

I like the actors but I have been ready to end the Aram/Samar relationship. I think this revenge plot for Aram is dumb, though. He has to realize that's exactly what she wanted. I was surprised he punched Red at the end. Didn't think he had it in him. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And a big yes to Aram being tortured to give Samar up if he knew where she was. That's just a given. The Mossad would have found them both within the week, "ghosts" or not. Mostly not.

The whole plot was started off with Aram blabbing Samar's secret without any torture whatsoever, so yeah, he needs to realize he's not Fort Knox.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I think I was more upset that Red killed Oded Fehr's character than anything else...

I liked Samar but never liked her with Aram only because I thought she could do better.  Aram is too puppy dog-like.  I like puppies but they aren't always the brightest.

Not a lot of Liz which was nice.  Ressler wasn't even annoying.

And yes, I rolled my eyes as soon as I saw the assassin with the ring, like are we in the '60's here people?  The python was dumb but I laughed when I saw it.  I was more concerned about the chinchillas though.  I've held one of them and am convinced they are better alive than they are as coats.  They make ugly coats.

Evil Aram is eyeroll inducing.  As has been pointed out, he never would have been able to take care of Samar and should have been grateful to Red.  I get he's angry and Samar could have perhaps handled telling him better (like before she just disappeared on him) but he needs to get a grip and face reality.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/2/2019 at 8:29 AM, Johnny Dollar said:

I’ve never seen two more miserable people who are supposed to be in love than Aram and Samar. 

Once again, viewers were duped by a love relationship on a procedural. How far back into season 5 did producers know about her exit? Samar's allegiance to Mossad would always be an obstacle for them to overcome in marriage. Samar was a spy and past assassin.  As far as Aram unable to protect her, recall that Samar was easily taken hostage by a lone crazy suspect and Aram had the skill set to find her and save her life. He was the good change she needed in her life no matter how clumsy he acted at times.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1

Let’s not forget that Aram and Samar couldn’t make a run for it right after not-John-Wick ringed herself because the Umbrella Company would have agents at (apparently) every airport and train station in the country. That’s a lot of people to have on the payroll just waiting around in case the hit goes south. Maybe the Mossad would call the whole thing off just because the overtime costs alone would be a budget buster. 

• LOL 2
On 3/31/2019 at 1:24 PM, saber5055 said:

I don’t know.  Rooting for a lying, murdering criminal over an honest agent, who we’ve been shown is a good person, is just a bit weird.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/7/2019 at 9:09 PM, CaptainE said:

I don’t know.  Rooting for a lying, murdering criminal over an honest agent, who we’ve been shown is a good person, is just a bit weird.

Very weird as well as the ongoing BS over the dogs and poor Agnes.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, CaptainE said:

Yes, it is very weird that Agnes is never mentioned.

The producers went all in by using a homelife setting with husband Tom Keen caring for the baby as well, but to just drop Agnes out of the story makes no sense.

Edited by VinceW

Why doesn't Liz reclaim her daughter? Everyone involved with Tom's murder is dead, and she has apparently decided that she doesn't care about the past anymore and is perfectly happy with her life being managed by a violent crime boss who stole her father's identity. 

• Love 2