Type keyword(s) to search

The Unicorn in the Media: Awkward Family Portraits

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

CBS pilot for the 2019-2020 season, with Walton Goggins set to star —

Goggins will play a recent widower and devoted father to two adolescent girls. The character is described as a big-hearted open-book of a guy, but without his wife, he’s finding himself at sea. When his friends persuade him to start dating again, he discovers to his shock that he’s kind of a hot commodity, if only he knew what the hell he was doing.

Looks like show is among four comedies that CBS picked up to series.

THE UNICORN (Single Cam)

EPs/Writers: Bill Martin, Mike Schiff
EPs: Aaron Kaplan, Dana Honor (Kapital Entertainment), Wendi Trilling, Peyton Reed
EP/Director: John Hamburg (pilot only)
STUDIO: CBS Television Studios
LOGLINE: A tight-knit group of friends and family help a widower move on following the most difficult year of his life, which includes being an ill-equipped but devoted single parent to his two daughters, and taking the major step of dating where, to his shock, he’s a hot commodity.
CAST: Walton Goggins, Rob Corddry, Michaela Watkins, Omar Benson Miller, Maya Lynne Robinson, Ruby Jay, Makenzie Moss

the-unicorn.jpg?w=300&h=200

No reviews yet.  CBS not send this out for reviews?

Among the credits of the show runners, I only recognize 3rd Rock from the Sun and In Living Color.

They've done a lot of other shows since then but they don't seem to have gotten similar notoriety.

• Useful 1
On 8/25/2020 at 8:02 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I watched a few episodes and didn’t really get into it, but now that I’ve binged Justified over the last few weeks, I may have to give it another chance. 

Yeah. I don't know if I would've liked it as much if I hadn't seen Justified beforehand.

Just seeing the huge contrast between the two is amazing.

• Love 1

So excited for this show to finally return! The episode description looks good.

Spoiler

After Wade has an instant connection with a woman he met briefly in a parking lot, he’s determined to find her again. Also, Michelle waits to hear from the colleges she applied to for her business degree, and Natalie tries to convince Wade she’s old enough to get her ears pierced

• Love 1

I’m so excited for this show to come back because I just love it!!!!  But also because I need this commercial with the dog licking Wade’s face to STOP.   It comes on all the time and I can’t stand the licking noises...marketing fail. 🤮

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Sad because it was a charming show. I didn’t quite like it as much in the second season with Walter settling in too much with his new girlfriend but it still had loads of charm

I get not having room for something on the linear channel and soft ratings, but It does make you wonder now that shows are starting to get moved to streaming siblings why all too-soft-in-ratings shows don’t get moved over

When I saw CBS was cleaning house with their older, more established shows (Mom, NCIS: New Orleans, MacGuyver), I knew that didn't bode well for The Unicorn. Still sucks though. That said, I'm glad the last episode had some sort of closure where you got the sense that Wade got his groove back.

9 hours ago, michelec said:

When I saw CBS was cleaning house with their older, more established shows (Mom, NCIS: New Orleans, MacGuyver), I knew that didn't bode well for The Unicorn. Still sucks though. That said, I'm glad the last episode had some sort of closure where you got the sense that Wade got his groove back.

MacGyver was probably cancelled more due to the horrible crap Peter Lenkov did - he made the lead suicidal, changed stunts at the last minute and almost permanently disabled stuntment, all kinds of stuff.

On 5/26/2021 at 5:23 PM, LucyEth said:

Sorry this show got cancelled.  This is a million times better than the awful B Positive and United States of Al IMO, yes these show were renewed.  

I completely agree with you, but there's a pretty obvious reason. Unlike the two shows renewed, The Unicorn doesn't have an Executive Producer named Chuck Lorre. 🙄 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6