Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: Ties That Bind

doLLish
  • Start Topic

I really liked this episode. This is the first time that I loved both Chicago PD and Fire on the same night. I'm still confused as to how this happened, heh. 

Anyway, I liked having Upton and Burges together and trying to get out of their situation. It had me riveted and invested from the beginning to the very end. 

Good episode! And for once, no politics or corruption. 

• Love 5

Excuse me writers, it’s “about Adam and me” not “about Adam and I.” 🙄 You really annoyed a lot of English instructors tonight during an otherwise fine episode. 🤨

Edited by LittleIggy
Fixed misquote
  • Love 8

Good to see Upton being her usual sanctimonous self. And her reason for not telling Burgess was lame. People thought you got your last job because of who you slept with, nobody's going to be thinking you got anything by sleeping with the village idiot. So try again.

And if it caused you that much grief, why the hell would you do it again in a unit that consisted of 6 people including the dude's ex fiance? I not sure if she's just stupid or just dgaf about anybody else and was just spinning some bullshit line to get Burgess to feel sorry for her.

Why she feels the need to talk to Burgess like a two year old is beyond me? The 'girl code comment' she couldn't even say that without her trademark smirk. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Erin, sure she was miserable but she actually cared about someone other than herself.

Although at least she attempted a reason, unlike Ruzek who being with Upton has made him even more of a dick than I thought possible. As a fan of Ruzek, he was always a dick, but he actually did care about other people's feelings, now he's just an out and out dick most of the time.  Right now, I'm kinda hoping he actually does go to jail or get's stripped of his badge. So thank you writers, you've ruined another character.

There was no way the writers were going to allow Burgess to be anything but 'it's cool' because heaven forbid someone calls Upton out for her shitty behaviour. Of course Burgess had to 'save' her, because it's the same overdone trope. 

Also good to see Atwater has just moved on from his deep hole from last week, he got over that as quick as he got shot a few weeks back, must have gone to the same miracle worker that Antonio went to to cure his 'drug addiction.'

Edited by Guildford
still ranting.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Guildford said:

Also good to see Atwater has just moved on from his deep hole from last week, he got over that as quick as he got shot a few weeks back, must have gone to the same miracle worker that Antonio went to to cure his 'drug addiction.'

It must be the same Shaman who helped Atwater after he was beat up by that Federal agent when undercover .. Who got him thru losing a potential love interest because nobody would help a former gang associate . Like it was said upthread... The one who got him thru being shot and having the bad guys get away because they are in cahoots with the police commissioner... 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Can't believe I'm going to say this but thank you show. Upton and Burgess didn't have any catty girl fight about a guy. How surprised am I. I actually really love them as partners. I would like more of them together. 

• Love 6

I didn't really understand the point of Voight's speech at the end.  Don't get me wrong, I think it needed to be said, but I'm not sure why it was said at that time.  I know that Ruzek went off on Halstead about  'allowing' Burgess and Upton to be taken, but it really didn't have any effect on what was going on (unless I missed something).  Yes, the unit shouldn't have let the two get out of sight, which allowed them to be taken away, but personal lives didn't have anything to do with that.  

• Love 6

Loved Voight's lecture about leaving their personal lives at home. I like Upton, but her excuse was lame. She's sleeping with the dumbest member of the unit, therefore no one will think she got anything by sleeping with him. Speaking of Ruzek, there he goes not following simple directions for the 80th time. Maybe Voight should tell both him and Jay to do what ever they want, and watch them crash and burn.

It appears that Kevin is being written as the strong silent type, since his character is unfazed 90% of the time. But really writers, he and Kim are supposed to be best friends, yet he doesn't show any concern while she's missing. I see continuity is not a thing in Chicago land.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Guildford said:

Good to see Upton being her usual sanctimonous self. And her reason for not telling Burgess was lame. People thought you got your last job because of who you slept with, nobody's going to be thinking you got anything by sleeping with the village idiot. So try again.

And if it caused you that much grief, why the hell would you do it again in a unit that consisted of 6 people including the dude's ex fiance? I not sure if she's just stupid or just dgaf about anybody else and was just spinning some bullshit line to get Burgess to feel sorry for her.

Why she feels the need to talk to Burgess like a two year old is beyond me? The 'girl code comment' she couldn't even say that without her trademark smirk. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Erin, sure she was miserable but she actually cared about someone other than herself.

Although at least she attempted a reason, unlike Ruzek who being with Upton has made him even more of a dick than I thought possible. As a fan of Ruzek, he was always a dick, but he actually did care about other people's feelings, now he's just an out and out dick most of the time.  Right now, I'm kinda hoping he actually does go to jail or get's stripped of his badge. So thank you writers, you've ruined another character.

There was no way the writers were going to allow Burgess to be anything but 'it's cool' because heaven forbid someone calls Upton out for her shitty behaviour. Of course Burgess had to 'save' her, because it's the same overdone trope. 

They must drink some type of special tea in that unit. No one is ever injured for more than a nanosecond.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I liked Burgess and Upton working together.  I loved Trudy being way more helpful and intelligent than the rest of the group.  I want Kim to go out with Hot Guy who showed up at the beginning of the episode.

What did I say last week, Voight?  No more undercover operations for you guys.  You suck at it.  Also, I get the leave the personal stuff at home (hypocrite) like most jobs expect you to, but that really isn't the Intelligence Unit's biggest problem.  It's problem is 1) see comment about going undercover, and 2) which is the main one, you guys need a different name because intelligence isn't in great abundance in this group.  The fact that you all constantly break the law and rules, beat up people left and right, kill people in cold blood, etc., would be bad enough, but what's worse is - you people are fucking dumb.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, Guildford said:

I couldn’t have put it so eloquently if I tried. So thank you.

I cannot stand Hailey. She’s literally insufferable. I’m really ready for her to be a crossover casualty. I’ve had a love/hate thing with Ruzek for a long time but now it’s just hate.

It’s not even about “fighting over a man” but Kim absolutely has the right to have some feelings about that relationship going on under her nose for so long. Her just being “cool” with it is complete garbage and doesn’t even work with the character’s personality. Kim has always been very emotional and a little hot-headed. They even teased her and Ruzek getting back together for a long while. Now she’s just cool with her ex-fiancée banging the only other woman in their very small unit? PLEASE.

I miss Erin and Al so much. Rick Eid has done some serious damage too. This show is really just not the same anymore. Hasn’t been for like 2 seasons.

Edited by doLLish
  • Love 10

I just a chance to see this episode. They had to go all the way to Wisconsin to find peeps who weren’t the usual corrupt cops. They were disgruntled working class factory workers who blamed the loss of their jobs to the factories moving overseas. Plus they were obsessed with guns and frequent gun shows.

If only there was crime in Chicago for the intelligence unit to investigate!

Oh well at least it wasn’t cops killing innocent gangbangers again. Thank God they got the right type of criminal.

Maybe there are a few South African terrorist types left over from a Die Hard movie for next weeks ripped from the headlines script!

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, doLLish said:

I couldn’t have put it so eloquently if I tried. So thank you.

I cannot stand Hailey. She’s literally insufferable. I’m really ready for her to be a crossover casualty. I’ve had a love/hate thing with Ruzek for a long time but now it’s just hate.

It’s not even about “fighting over a man” but Kim absolutely has the right to have some feelings about that relationship going on under her nose for so long. Her just being “cool” with it is complete garbage and doesn’t even work with the character’s personality. Kim has always been very emotional and a little hot-headed. They even teased her and Ruzek getting back together for a long while. Now she’s just cool with her ex-fiancée banging the only other woman in their very small unit? PLEASE.

I miss Erin and Al so much. Rick Eid has done some serious damage too. This show is really just not the same anymore. Hasn’t been for like 2 seasons.

I'd have a smidge more respect for her if she'd just said ' You know what, we fucked up, I'm sorry I know I hurt you...' rather than give another bleeding heart story and watch Burgess have to swalllow it because she'd look like a bitch if she said you know what Hailey fuck you and Eid loves Upton too much to let that happen.

It's a long road to redemption for Ruzek right now, the first thing he needs to do is put his dick away and realise that ever since he's been banging Upton he's become an asshole of the highest order.

This of course is all the writer's fault. There is no way 'pre-Eid' Ruzek would have treated Burgess with so little disregard or disrespect.

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 4

I couldn't care less about Ruzek.  I hate that Kim and Kevin have so little meaningful scenes anymore.  I liked them as partners and friends.

Is the guy who plays Ruzek on steroids, or just getting fat?

Criminal guy, "I wouldn't expect you to understand.  You're a woman.  The world takes care of women."

Me, "Huh?  Given the plight of the majority of women in the world, I gotta disagree.  Also, you just kidnapped two women, are beating up on them, and threatening to kill them, and you want to act indignant because they don't feel sorry for you?  Are you fucking kidding me?"

• Love 4
10 hours ago, langford peel said:

I just a chance to see this episode. They had to go all the way to Wisconsin to find peeps who weren’t the usual corrupt cops. They were disgruntled working class factory workers who blamed the loss of their jobs to the factories moving overseas. Plus they were obsessed with guns and frequent gun shows.

If only there was crime in Chicago for the intelligence unit to investigate!

Oh well at least it wasn’t cops killing innocent gangbangers again. Thank God they got the right type of criminal.

Maybe there are a few South African terrorist types left over from a Die Hard movie for next weeks ripped from the headlines script!

Can we have a crossover and have Bekker from Med be collateral damage in the crossfire? Please, please!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, BooksRule said:

I didn't really understand the point of Voight's speech at the end.  Don't get me wrong, I think it needed to be said, but I'm not sure why it was said at that time.  I know that Ruzek went off on Halstead about  'allowing' Burgess and Upton to be taken, but it really didn't have any effect on what was going on (unless I missed something).  Yes, the unit shouldn't have let the two get out of sight, which allowed them to be taken away, but personal lives didn't have anything to do with that.  

I think it's because, in that moment, Adam was not thinking as a cop. He was thinking like a guy who was worried his girlfriend was missing. And that type of thinking is exactly why these inner-unit relationships are not allowed and why it's so annoying on this show. If one of them is hurt or at risk, their concern and focus is about their significant other instead of doing their job. We saw enough of this thinking with Matt and Gabby and again with Stella and Severide on Chicago Fire.

And Hailey's reason for not telling Burgess or the rest of the team is stupid. She outranks Adam, and he's the lowest guy on the totem pole anyway, in terms of experience, considering he was plucked right out of the academy. She doesn't have to worry about gossip that she got a promotion for dating him. It might be the other way around, if Adam gets promoted to detective, without taking the detective test. Then people can say he only got it because he's sleeping with a detective. 

The entire relationship storyline was the one thing this episode could have done without. It was just a waste of time.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 1

I do not understand why after the first few seasons where the relationships were more so in the background they’re now trying to turn the show into Greys Anatomy. Furthermore, none of the remaining characters work naturally. Burgess and Ruzek has their moments but I often felt that was forced at times. I do not understand the quartet angle they’re going for with Burgess, Ruzek, Upton and Jay but it’s not working as A) it’s ridiculous and b) none of them go together for me. It’s been obvious they were going to do Upton/Jay from the get go but throwing Adam into the middle has just made me question her intelligence.  None of the pairings make sense and it just makes the show look stupid to me.

Halstead and Lindsay were the only relationship that ever felt organic to me on this show and I think that’s because they let it happen over time and both suited each other. All other ships they’ve attempted have been an epic fail and I think trying to recreate that kind of ship has just further established how much the show has fallen since season 3/4.

• Love 3

I liked this episode, which is a big accomplishment since I hate Burgess.

Impressed she didn't throw a hissy fit over Ruzek/Upton.  She's always struck me as having the maturity of a 16 year old.  I am glad she's being written as a grown-up.

I still don't like her but she didn't torpedo my enjoyment with her presence.  Impressive.

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:41 AM, Guildford said:

Well, you can't help who you are attracted to, at least usually that's how it works.  And her plan was to not have anyone find out.  I'm not really sure how Voight found out, was it that they arrived together on scene at the same time prior to work one day, I can't recall.  Did Kim clue in because of the tender moment prior to Adam going undercover?  Did she know before hand?

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:35 AM, BooksRule said:

He said something like "leave the bad at home".  Yeah, I'm not sure if he was referring to Halstead taking offense to Adam's assertion that he screwed up either.  Or that Kim and Adam had a breakup?  Not really sure what he was referring to.

How convenient that Kim's gym is named Easton.  What if it hadn't?

Upton is such a tough ass woman.  This is at least the second or third time that she's really gotten beat-up.  Yet she always looks flawless the next week.

• Love 2

So if the guys at the gun show were just idiot robbers then they never actually caught the dealers they were after.

On 2/13/2019 at 11:32 PM, rhys said:

It was good seeing smart women in both shows.

Smart women plus Burgess who is still an idiot. Seriously once you free yourself find a weapon. Would make it a lot easier than trying to wrestle a guy at way bigger than you. I think she even put down a screw driver at one point after she freed herself.

Although I did have to laugh at Ruzek and Antonio having to talk Upton down to keep her from strangling her captor. I can't belive it was those guys of all people.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, greyhorse said:

How convenient that Kim's gym is named Easton.  What if it hadn't?

I don't think it is; they just pass info on the sly that way. In fact, her gym not being "Easton" clues them in to what she's trying to feed them.

3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So if the guys at the gun show were just idiot robbers then they never actually caught the dealers they were after.

They caught at least the one guy that they threatened.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Smart women plus Burgess who is still an idiot. Seriously once you free yourself find a weapon. Would make it a lot easier than trying to wrestle a guy at way bigger than you. I think she even put down a screw driver at one point after she freed herself.

Although I did have to laugh at Ruzek and Antonio having to talk Upton down to keep her from strangling her captor. I can't belive it was those guys of all people.

Just watched this episode last night. I thought the plot was idiotic and thank God we have cops to rescue other cops when they screw up (maybe if we had smarter cops we wouldn't need so many cops). Surely Upton and Burgess would be better at taking down a perp (all Burgess had to do after she freed herself was stand behind the door and take him down when he came it, but no, go outside and start a fire instead. And YES find a weapon--jeez, you're a cop!). 

At least we had Trudy at the beginning taking down the political consultant in classic Trudy form, one line, one look, BOOM!

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Burgess had to do after she freed herself was stand behind the door and take him down when he came it, but no, go outside and start a fire instead. And YES find a weapon--jeez, you're a cop!). 

I guess I should be happy that Burgess didn't start the fire in the room they were trapped in. Although when she was outside she was holding a big tree branch that she could have used as a club.  I can't believe she is so dumb in like every episode.

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:38 PM, spunky said:

Glad you got my sarcasm. He said nothing when Linsday and Halstead were together.

He did actually. Twice in S1 and then again in S2 after they started dating while Lindsay was in the DEA task force and they stopped dating after that. It was only after Lindsay spiraled, quit and came back after Nadia's death that he gave them permission to be in a relationship. I'm assuming because he realized that she needed someone stable in her life.

After Lindsay's and Halstead's breakup, I expected him to be a lot more strict about in-house relationships again/say something a lot sooner to reinforce his position since their breakup affected work and seemed to serve as a perfect example for why he opposes in-house relationships.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

He did actually. Twice in S1 and then again in S2 after they started dating while Lindsay was in the DEA task force and they stopped dating after that. It was only after Lindsay spiraled, quit and came back after Nadia's death that he gave them permission to be in a relationship. I'm assuming because he realized that she needed someone stable in her life.

After Lindsay's and Halstead's breakup, I expected him to be a lot more strict about in-house relationships again/say something a lot sooner to reinforce his position since their breakup affected work and seemed to serve as a perfect example for why he opposes in-house relationships.

I stand corrected, thank you. I forgot about that. He does seem to be slacking this season when it comes to a few things.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2019 at 12:18 PM, icemiser69 said:

So Voight has no problems assaulting people across state lines.   I can't wait for some bad guy to beat the ever liven crap out of him.

They should have killed off Ruzek, and kept Roman and Burgess as partners.

I am watching this entire series in syndication and it is a chore to get through.   The episodes are so damn repetitive.

It might just be me, but if a show is tough to get through, I stop watching it and move on. Life's too short.

On 2/14/2019 at 4:38 PM, spunky said:

Glad you got my sarcasm. He said nothing when Linsday and Halstead were together.

It's been awhile, but I think Voight had plenty to say about Lindsay and Halstead. They kept things pretty quiet because of him.

Also, it cracks me up when people complain about Voight's tactics. They are a huge part of what makes the show. I certainly don't agree with them all the time, but how can anyone be surprised at this point? It's not going to change.

• Love 3
On 2/18/2019 at 3:52 PM, greyhorse said:

Well, you can't help who you are attracted to, at least usually that's how it works.  And her plan was to not have anyone find out.  I'm not really sure how Voight found out, was it that they arrived together on scene at the same time prior to work one day, I can't recall.  Did Kim clue in because of the tender moment prior to Adam going undercover?  Did she know before hand?

Workplace romances are inevitable. I met my husband at our former job, where tons of relationships happened, from one-night stands to long-term marriages and everything in between. You put people together on a regular basis and stuff's going to happen - it's human nature.

I don't think Kim knew before that scene, and yeah I think Voight figured it out from the scene you mentioned. And then Hailey went to talk to him and confirmed things when Ruzek took the fall for Antonio.

• Love 3