Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Roadhouse Blues

ohjoy

So apparently Juliana Crane jumped from the Greater Nazi Reich into the MCU? Seriously though I really like Alexa Davalos, both because I think she is a good actor and because she is so pretty, so seeing hee show up was a nice surprise. Although knowing she is the star of her own show gave me kind of a sense of dread that something was going to happen to her.

Good to see Frank back though.Strong start to season 2.And I still love how crazy over the top violent this show is.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So apparently Juliana Crane jumped from the Greater Nazi Reich into the MCU? Seriously though I really like Alexa Davalos, both because I think she is a good actor and because she is so pretty, so seeing hee show up was a nice surprise. Although knowing she is the star of her own show gave me kind of a sense of dread that something was going to happen to her.

Good to see Frank back though.Strong start to season 2.And I still love how crazy over the top violent this show is.

Alexa Davalos in the Marvel universe is something I needed to see! She was my early on hope for an  Electra casting, but this will do( I know opinions are mixed, but I love Elodie as Electra). And, as much as I love TMITHC, and despite her small number of appearances, she'll always be Gwen from Angel to me.

The acting in the first episode, outside of Jon and Alexa, has me nervous for my enjoyment of the rest of the season. There's something very off and... annoying...about the blonde girl and the 'baddies' (outside of the main guy who I have seen in other things before). Which is strange since most of the time the acting in Marvel Netflix shows is pretty solid. I'm hoping it's first episode jitters because otherwise I'm in for a long 13 episodes. 

I'm not sure how I felt about this episode. I feel like there was way to much time spend with Frank and the bar tender. I wasn't sure why she was upset with him about not saying his "real" first name. I mean they met in a bar and it was clearly going to be a one night stand by both parties. It was clear that the bar was the kind of place where people go when they are running from something.  It wasn't like they were already dating.  That being said, I'm glad she lived.

Anyhow, once it got the action, it was pretty good. Though seriously they send like 10 people to capture one teenage girl? Also you'd think that the police would have already been called as there was many witnesses and I don't think they were all killed. Actually, most of the bar goes (and the band) probably made it out during the fight and there was also probably people at the motel that would have heard the gun shots as well. So there would be no way the mob people could be over looking the scene, as it would be swarmed with police by that point.  Just something that bothered me. Anyhow, I definitely will keep watching but I'm not sure how the quality will be.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, blueray said:

So there would be no way the mob people could be over looking the scene, as it would be swarmed with police by that point.  Just something that bothered me. Anyhow, I definitely will keep watching but I'm not sure how the quality will be.

I may have been mistaken, but I thought in the scene at the end where the mob guys were looking over the scene, the boss guy called someone lieutenant. So I figured the lieutenant was a cop and that showed that these guys had cops on their payroll.

15 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

The fights were brutal.  Getting an early start on Frank being a beaten up mess.

I kind of appreciate that the fights on this show are brutal. Because getting shot or stabbed or hit a bunch of times should cause damage. The fights on Iron Fist in contrast always looked way to sanitized for all ages. 

• Love 2

That was a pretty strong start to the season. I'm not sure where it is going to end up (and not really convinced by this apparent mob storyline- some Russian guy and his rival? Dunno). Had they established Frank as a guy with his comic motivations- constantly at war with criminals- it would feel more organic. As is, MCU Frank is really just good guy who ends up in the middle of someone else's situation, and 3 seasons (2 1/2 maybe, depending on how you view DD S2) of the same plot starts to get tiresome.

That said, JB continues to kill it as Frank (literally and figuratively). I really loved the slow buildup and his attempt to try a real relationship again with Beth, even if I knew it could only end poorly for him. I didn't recognize Alexa Davalos until I looked her up. I knew she looked familiar, but couldn't place her. I haven't really seen her in anything since Angel (and hard to believe that was nearly two decades ago). She's definitely matured into a different look (and maybe it is just this character)- leaner, more alluring, world weary. I can buy her and JB's Frank as a couple. A lot of chemistry there. I'd love to see them go off into the sunset together, but that's probably very unlikely.

Not sure what to make of the "sidekick" girl just yet; she hasn't had a lot of screen time to really get a fix on her character or how the actress is going to portray her, but I my initial thoughts are that I don't like her. She's a liar, needlessly confrontational, and manipulative. She does have some fairly strong survival instincts, but that's not saying much.

In any event, as I said, a strong start to a new season. Will be curious to see where it leads.

• Love 2

When the show first started I told my husband to take a good look at Frank's face because I'm sure we won't see it again without blood or bruises and cuts on it. Then that little twit called him rough road. Hell no, Frank was looking downright pretty. She just didn't understand that yet.

Good to see Gwen from Angel. I figured her beautiful shiny hair would be full of blood by the end as she died in Frank's arms. Glad to be wrong about that.

• Love 1

Poor Frank. This episode should have been subtitled: " What Frank can never have".  At least he got to have one night of smiling and feeling good before violence and brutality came back into his life.   It is his curse and his destiny and he is so good at it.

Thank you show for subverting my expectations and not killing Beth off.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, rogvortex58 said:

Rex was a funny kid. “Did you two have sex?”

lol

Also, when he was at the diner and said "when he was a small kid". I screamed at the TV and said you are a small kid.

31 minutes ago, mrspidey said:

Gwen Raiden! Just the person we need in the MCU. 

What is crazy is that of the 3 things I remember seeing her in, the one where she doesn't have super powers or abilities is the MCU. Kind of weird.

First episode had my heart racing, just what I want out of my Punisher.

The teen is annoying af, she hasn't realised she left the knapsack or she doesn't CARE that she left it? 

A nice set up for the season, though - Frank's "I hope so" at the end was perfect.

Very good start, I enjoyed it.  I liked seeing Frank happy, even for a little while and I appreciate that this show took its time setting up the story.  I like the "on the road" setting too.  I was surprised to see  Alexa Davalos pop up but she was a welcome addition and worked well with JB.  Brutal action scenes that they do so well.  Wasn't impressed with the new villain but we'll see if that changes.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:03 PM, Zima said:

That blonde woman was supposed to be a teen? I'd put her at late 20's at the youngest. 

22 hours ago, maddie965 said:

Not teen at all. 25, 27 for me.

Punisher is back! Life is good.

Giorgia Whigham is 21.

• Love 1

Most of this episode was weird. Glad to see Madani again, and that she's now visiting - how did I forget his name?? - Ben Barnes, the same way he visited his mother in the hospital, and wasn't nice to her. Why do they have him looking like the Joker? 

It was so odd, but nice, seeing Frank have a nice time, looking like a sane, stable, safe, happier human being. Also nice that he didn't leave the girl alone, although I'm not a fan of mobster stories like this. 

I miss Micro and his family. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The Punisher is back and bodies are already dropping!

Wasn't expecting Alexa Davalos to show up, but I enjoyed her as Beth.  Curious to see if this is an one off, or if she'll return somewhere down the line.  Glad she survived the gunshot wound, although I felt bad for the bouncer.

Not sure if I'm wild about Frank being stuck with some obnoxious teen/twenty year-old, but I'll keep an open mind.  Not overtly familiar with the actress (although she was apparently in an episode of The Orville), but she's apparently the daughter of character actor Shea Whigham, and that alone gets her bonus points!

Hey, Josh Stewart!  I still remember him as Joshua on No Ordinary Family years ago!  I see he is bringing the creepiness as always!  Also noticed Teri Reeves played the one henchwoman that survived Frank's bloodbath, who I remember as Hallie from Chicago Fire/Dorothy from Once Upon a Time.

Glad Madani will still be involved.  Oh, and Russo too, even though he's looking a bit rough!

Still think Jon Bernthal is the strongest actor out of the Marvel leads, which isn't a slam at the rest since Charlie Cox and Krysten Ritter are no slouches (Mike Colter and Finn Jones are more mixed bags, but they have their moments.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm a little late... but Beth was a little cringey. Glad Frank got one night of happiness before stuff hit the fan, but she was cringey. I usually dislike child characters/actors but loved spunky Rex. Line of the night, Did you two have sex? Will we see them again?

Wasn't big on the rando henchmen/henchwomen, but the fight was solid.

Great start to the season.

Edited by CyberJawa1986
Edits and stuff, Yo!

If I ever have to walk down a dark alley at night, Frank's the one I want with me.

On 4/16/2019 at 5:37 PM, CyberJawa1986 said:

I'm a little late... but Beth was a little cringey. Glad Frank got one night of happiness before stuff hit the fan, but she was cringey.

She gave off too much of the "my dirtbag ex left me with our son and I really need a man of the house again" vibe, which guys don't want to hear the first night they're with someone.

• Love 1