Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Who Can You Trust

preeya
  • Start Topic

Halstead takes heat for making an unauthorized move to treat his pregnant patient. Choi becomes personally invested when treating a homeless veteran. Rhodes and Bekker deal with a patient who desperately needs a liver transplant.

Edited by preeya

April/Choi will end up back together after a lot of angst.  I don't dislike April as much as some on here so I'm ok with that.  Besides she enjoyed it, she was right to not give medical info in front of Choi's girlfriend.

Bekker was dead ass wrong as far as patient rights, but it's hard to fault her when she saved a life.  I still hate her though, lol.  Interesting exchange between Connor and his Dad.  Can't wait for that to blow up.  Daddy douchebag and Bekker deserve each other.

Will and Natalie are insufferable.  I'm past deciding who's right, I just want them to stop it or go away!

• Love 2

I'm re-naming this show to:

"The Same Bullshit Every Week"

These writers don't even make an attempt at something different.

And what's up with Natalie's new uniform that looks like scuba diving apparatus.

• Love 12

The Will and Natalie saga, is like watching paint dry. Please writers and the nonsense. April was right not to disclose patient information in front of Choi's girlfriend, but she was still annoying. Some fans on Instagram are suggesting that the writers pair her with Kevin because of his strong personality. Ava was dead wrong in what she did, the show is glorifying her while chastising Will.  Ava and papa Rhodes deserve each other, and they can both leave anytime now. 

• Love 6

Coming up with "a new, experimental technique" seems to be this show's go-to for any medical conflict.  I knew it was going to happen the only (slight) suspense is whether it was going to work this time.

I don't get it with this show.  Natalie and Will are a mess and they're the most functional couple on this show. Charles shouldn't have talked to Natalie without Will present, and he shouldn't have told Sharon anything that Natalie had told him.

But nothing was as bad as April and Choi. She's judgemental as always for personal reasons, she was wrong to go to the ER chief about Choi's actions because she's not a doctor (although you will never convince her of that) but the worst was Choi asking to have her on his shifts.  She's toxic and he just can't quit her.  (Also, since when do doctors have a say in a nurse's schedule?) Vicky (aka Amanda Waller) is so much better for him.

Is it possible that Connor is finally getting clue about Ava? Will he realize that she's bad for him, or will he go down the Choi route and lie down for her to walk all over him?

I wish Bekker would leave. Not only is she bad for Connor, her fake accent is getting worse and worse.

4 minutes ago, preeya said:

And what's up with Natalie's new uniform that looks like scuba diving apparatus.

I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong with it. You've nailed it.

• Love 7

What is it with Doctors who have big egos allowing woman to walk all over them and then coming back for more?

Choi should have April fired for contradicting him and letting an American hero die because she knows better. Ratting him out to the weasel ED chief should have been the last straw.

Halstead pretends to get it. Of course she went to the boss to get her way. She will ignore the bosses when it comes to her patients but will use them to get way. What everyone sees that she ignores is that she is a toxic POS. I hope she ends up with creepy Dad guy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

She's toxic and he just can't quit her. 

I can't even remember why they got together.  I don't really see chemistry, no matter how much they try to make it seem as though Choi and April want to be together. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, izabella said:

I can't even remember why they got together.

It happened really quickly. My assumption is because they just wanted an ongoing couple while Will/Natalie were doing the will they/won’t they dance so they just shoved those two together.

therrs nothing natural about any of the couples on this show. They’re all forced.

• Love 9

Is there some deal with this show that they have to have a pregnant woman in peril every single week. I'd understand if it was a maternity hospital but seriously I struggle to think of a week that they don't either kill a mother or a baby, or at the very least diagnose some terrible horrendous birth defect 3.4 secs after they arrive?

In a completely fictional sense, I'd love to see the paramedics have a pregnant woman refuse to get in the back of the ambo when they tell her they are taking her to Med. "no, you can't take me there, I'll die or my baby will."

• Love 9

I actually found all of the medical storylines compelling this time...which only served to highlight how much I've come to loathe most of the characters themselves. Wish Maggie hadn't backed down on the scheduling.

Edited by Emma9
  • Love 8

I don’t care what they have to do to get rid of April and Eva but JUST.DO.IT.   I’m so disappointed in Choi; he’s a bigger fool than I thought.   And yeah, April was jealous, envious and so unprofessional, rude, and high-handed with Vicky and Choi, I wanted to reach in the TV and slap her.  She acted like a spoiled brat with that challenge and check to Vicky and Choi.    I thought for certain Vicky would catch them kissing but if April is what Choi wants, i.e., a pathetic, weak, indecisive, petulant child—rather than a beautiful, smart, mature, intelligent, rational and accomplished woman--then more power  to “Chapril” – they deserve each other…UGH!  I’m disgusted with Choi and his choice.   I’m even more disgusted that I’ll have to see this trainwreck over the upcoming weeks and watch the disintegration of a relationship he had with a good woman!  What a waste *sigh*

Hopefully, the sh!t will hit the fan now with Rhodes and dad about what transpired with Eva.   She’s manipulative, devious and deceitful--personally and professionally--and I desperately hope this is the beginning of the end for her.

Halstead is out of control as we knew he would be.  Deliberately subordinate with Ms. Goodwin, excludes the biological parents and advocates for the surrogate who had no rights.  Yeah, he should have been put on unpaid leave; counseling is too easy since he’s such an omnipotent prick.  So it looks like a near death experience with Nat for next week’s episode and that will be their (Manstead) saving grace – these pathetic plot devices just make me roll my eyes!

Poor woman overdosing her mom not knowing she was in early stages of Alzheimer which prompted a light-bulb moment for Natalie on Will’s condition.   He (Will) seems to exhibit just one of the classic PTSD symptoms, e.g., behavioral such as irritability, agitation, hostility and not so much the psychological, mood or sleep issues.   But whatever, this crisis next episode will pull them closer together, I’m sure.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

But nothing was as bad as April and Choi. She's judgemental as always for personal reasons, she was wrong to go to the ER chief about Choi's actions because she's not a doctor (although you will never convince her of that) but the worst was Choi asking to have her on his shifts.  She's toxic and he just can't quit her.  (Also, since when do doctors have a say in a nurse's schedule?) Vicky (aka Amanda Waller) is so much better for him.

I was annoyed at April's actions in this episode but I was also annoyed at Choi for being so quick to accuse her of being motivated by jealously of Vicky and himself. I can't stand people who automatically think whatever is going on is all about themselves. It's indicative of narcissism and paranoia. And Choi has been one of the better regulars on this show for me, at least up till this season.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, preeya said:

I noticed that her dark outfit matched the dark jacket and shirt that the widower was wearing.  They looked like a couple and that's where I think the writers are going.  Like all we need is another love triangle. * rolls eyes*

• Love 2
2 hours ago, watcher1006 said:

I was annoyed at April's actions in this episode but I was also annoyed at Choi for being so quick to accuse her of being motivated by jealously of Vicky and himself. I can't stand people who automatically think whatever is going on is all about themselves. It's indicative of narcissism and paranoia. And Choi has been one of the better regulars on this show for me, at least up till this season.

Choi was right about it, though.  So I can't blame him too much.

• Love 4

April admitted to Choi that she was hostile to Vicky because "It's hard to see you together". So even though she may have been right about not telling Vicky the lab results (we dno't know the arrangement between Vicky's hospital and Chicago Med, and April didn't ask Reggie if it was okay with him), she did it for the wrong reasons. And there is no excuse for telling the ER chief what Choi was doing.

This storyline should have been played like Of Human Bondage, the training doctor drawn irresistibly to the shallow woman who is no good for him. Instead they're doing it as star-crossed lovers. Star-crossed because of their own stupidity and being judgmental.

It took Charles 50 minutes to figure out that the daughter was exhibiting signs of memory loss.  45 minutes more than it took me.  Oh, the anvils!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, cathmed said:

Halstead is out of control as we knew he would be.  Deliberately subordinate with Ms. Goodwin, excludes the biological parents and advocates for the surrogate who had no rights.  

I think that’s what made the case so compelling, the fact that the surrogate clearly did have rights, even though she signed a contract giving them away. I don’t know that any court would enforce a contract where a woman agrees in advance to have an abortion. (I just did a quick internet search that indicates courts have refused to enforce the specific performance of selective termination against surrogates who would not comply).

• Love 2
19 hours ago, langford peel said:

Is it wrong to hope creepy Dad guy will kill Manning?

Can he take April too? I can't even finish this episode because of her.

Yes, while she was right about HIPPA, this show never cares about it nor has April ever cared about her. I don't know why she went to the chief but I'm against her for it. Why is she always acting like she's the dr?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I noticed that her dark outfit matched the dark jacket and shirt that the widower was wearing.  They looked like a couple and that's where I think the writers are going.  Like all we need is another love triangle. * rolls eyes*

I thought it was pretty obvious early on that it's exactly where the writers are going.   She'll continue to run into him, comfort him, they'll have some nice talks, and voila!  A man she's able to help, so she'll feel needed, blah blah blah.

I think Natalie is awful, btw.  Such a stick-in-the-mud and boring.  

I don't see any chemistry with any of the couples on this show.  

• Love 6

The show finds its way to HIPAA but only because it is convenient for the selfish character. While April was right in not relating private information in front of someone who is not authorized, she did it because she was jealous, not because she cares about the patient - see every other episode. And the show had already messed up with the HIPAA plot when Vicky (is that her name? I don't even care) weighted in ordering tests that Choi hasn't. And she was in the room talking to the guy so I assume that he gave permission. The actress was able to change her expression from bored and arrogant to arrogant and mad so I think this is an improvement?

When they opened his box I was sure they would start reading what looked like letters because they can forget HIPAA this fast.

What Will did was absurd. Even if he agreed with the pregnant woman, he had no business arranging for an EXPERIMENTAL procedure - as if it is this easy. And why hasn't the patient relations director - whatever her name is - told him to just leave instead of allowing him to observe the procedure? If I were the biological parent I would sue his ass off, plus the hospital. It doesn't matter if the procedure worked They violated a legal document and as far as I can tell, the parents were not informed until she was in the OR. 

Will was like a child throwing temper tantrums because he is hurt. Grow up Will. People are offering you help, just do the adult thing. 

How irrelevant Connor and Ava are. Seriously, does anyone cares about them?

• Love 2

I know I'm in the minority opinion here but I like April and Ethan, I just hate the predictable writing for them where the writers make them take polar opposite viewpoints on the emergency / topic of the ep then fight about it all ep until the next ep when the emergency / topic changes but they'll still be on polar opposites on their feelings. Rinse, repeat. That's tedious. So I like Chexton but I need the writers to do better. I do feel badly for Vicky cause Ethan is using her as a placeholder since it's obvious he's still hung up on April and Vicky doesn't deserve that. 

Ava continues to suck but telling Connor the ends justify the means got him shook and I like that he went to his father about their history. I hope the end result is the show ending Ava & Connor forever since that is one of the most forced, chem-free pairings I've ever had the misfortune to sit through. Gave me flashbacks to the terrible Danny / Jo relationship on Twisted as well as a lot of the pairings on Grey's Anatomy this year. Sometimes what looks good on paper doesn't work on screen and I'd put Ava/Connor there. I also wouldn't be too sad to see Ava leave the hospital since I've always found the character to just be too flat and grating.

Will needs help.

• Love 4

I don’t know much about hospitals but are nurses allowed to over rule ER doctors and replace their judgement for treating patients like April did in this case? 

Only if you’re April.  I think she’s breached HIPPA before on this series, IIRC.

While I agree Will seems to need some kind of help, I found myself watching this episode and yelling, “Go Will!”  Mainly because he was finally standing up for himself instead of being continually cowed by St. Natalie.  I won’t debate the rightness or wrongness of what he did because the whole storyline was ludicrous.  “Shazam!  Just in time, I remembered an experimental treatment that will make everything hunky dory.”  Right.  

I knew Ethan would jump right back into April’s web so no surprises there.  I guess he deserves whatever happens even though I like his character and I love how hard he tried to save the veteran, April and her interference notwithstanding.  I’m not sure “chain of command” means you bypass the doctor in charge to go whining to his superior, but real world doctors and nurses would certainly know more than I do.

It wasn’t as annoying an episode as last week but occasionally we need a break, I guess. 

Whatever happened to Little April Brother Doctor??

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, limecoke said:

Yes, what happened to him?  And what about Dr. Latham?  Do the writers think we've forgotten about them?

• Love 5
8 hours ago, alexvillage said:

What Will did was absurd. Even if he agreed with the pregnant woman, he had no business arranging for an EXPERIMENTAL procedure - as if it is this easy. And why hasn't the patient relations director - whatever her name is - told him to just leave instead of allowing him to observe the procedure? If I were the biological parent I would sue his ass off, plus the hospital. It doesn't matter if the procedure worked They violated a legal document and as far as I can tell, the parents were not informed until she was in the OR. 

It was ridiculous on every level.

I usually have a high-tolerance for the eyeroll-worthy stuff, and I enjoy this show much more than most posters here.  But this episode had too many of those kind of moments, and what Will did was the worst of all.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, limecoke said:

5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yes, what happened to him?  And what about Dr. Latham?  Do the writers think we've forgotten about them?

When characters suddenly stop appearing it may be because the actors have found gigs elsewhere. I like Dr. Latham and he might certainly have something to say about the silliness between Connor and Bekker but maybe Ato Essendoh isn't currently available?

• Love 1
On 1/17/2019 at 10:41 AM, cathmed said:

I don’t care what they have to do to get rid of April and Eva but JUST.DO.IT.   I’m so disappointed in Choi; he’s a bigger fool than I thought.   And yeah, April was jealous, envious and so unprofessional, rude, and high-handed with Vicky and Choi, I wanted to reach in the TV and slap her.  She acted like a spoiled brat with that challenge and check to Vicky and Choi.    I thought for certain Vicky would catch them kissing but if April is what Choi wants, i.e., a pathetic, weak, indecisive, petulant child—rather than a beautiful, smart, mature, intelligent, rational and accomplished woman--then more power  to “Chapril” – they deserve each other…UGH!  I’m disgusted with Choi and his choice.   I’m even more disgusted that I’ll have to see this trainwreck over the upcoming weeks and watch the disintegration of a relationship he had with a good woman!  What a waste *sigh*

I haven't watched this show in a while, but I read today that Vicky came back, so I just binged all of the episodes since her reappearance. I was all excited, but now I'm sad again. So disappointing that he would chose April over Vicky.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:05 AM, Guildford said:

Is there some deal with this show that they have to have a pregnant woman in peril every single week. I'd understand if it was a maternity hospital but seriously I struggle to think of a week that they don't either kill a mother or a baby, or at the very least diagnose some terrible horrendous birth defect 3.4 secs after they arrive?

Word. I just watched pregnant patients in three consecutive episodes. What's up with that? Two of the mothers looked so much alike that I got confused about the storyline for a moment.

I guess D. W. Moffatt is the go-to actor for dads now.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, watcher1006 said:

When characters suddenly stop appearing it may be because the actors have found gigs elsewhere. I like Dr. Latham and he might certainly have something to say about the silliness between Connor and Bekker but maybe Ato Essendoh isn't currently available?

The actors could very well have other gigs, but it's still dumb of the writers to act as if they don't exist anymore.  All they have to do is have some of the other characters reference them in some way.  For example, Dr. Latham is on sabbatical or hiatus, April's Brother Doctor is on vacation.  Something!  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Ohwell said:

The actors could very well have other gigs, but it's still dumb of the writers to act as if they don't exist anymore.  All they have to do is have some of the other characters reference them in some way.  For example, Dr. Latham is on sabbatical or hiatus, April's Brother Doctor is on vacation.  Something!  

I agree.  It's insulting to the audience to not at least have a throwaway line every now and then.  Even, "I just spoke to Dr. Whoever, and........" or - as you said - something in reference to being on vacation or transferred to another hospital or being bedridden at home after a skiing accident.  Just something, anything at all.  Even a throwaway crumb is better than presenting it as though these characters simply disappeared and they're hoping viewers won't notice.

• Love 5

I watched this episode yesterday, I am officially done with Chicago Med. The characters have reached new levels of absurdity and after continuing to watch on Hulu, mostly so I didn't miss if it was one of those cross episodes with PD or Fire, I can't stomach them anymore. So what, Natalie can't be with someone with a gun? She never had a problem before around Halsted's brother.  Halsted MD, is puke inducing and I just can't anymore.

• Love 1