Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Sorry to see Christopher go, but, alas, it was raw chicken. 

All of the bottom 3 either overcooked or undercooked a protein. I don't get how raw chicken was any worse than a raw egg.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I need the Gen Z team to start losing members-especially Becca and Halle.  They're a bit too smug for me to find entertaining.

Yes! Especially Becca. This was the first time I can remember someone with an immunity pin asking the others, who are trying to cook, what they are doing. As if she’s one of the judges. I was yelling at my teevee, telling her to STFU. And then get SMUG smile when one of the worst dishes was being criticized.

Hallie can miss me with denigrating the C Generation’s food, as if we all decided to make processed foods or created it. With her smug, and yes humorless bragging that only HER generation cooks and eats with healthy ingredients.

I’m rooting for Michael. And was especially happy for him because Aaron and Joe were on his ass for cooking with fresh pasta and the pork chop with limited time. 

Out of curiosity, how do you pronounce Kirsch? From Christopher’s Black Forest Cake? Which is my FAVORITE CAKE Evah!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Trey said:

I pronounce Kirsch as Keersch. It's what I've always heard but not saying it's right.

You are correct.  Lived in Germany for a few years and agree with you.  Like I said, not like the same pronunciation of the curtain rod manufacturer.

• Like 3
(edited)

I've been thinking about this concept of the foods of your generation, about my personal experience and that of my family.  I don't think we necessarily cook the food of the era in which we grew up. YMMV.
I'm a boomer.  My mom was raised in a small rural town during the depression, eating farm-fresh cooking, everything homemade. 
When my mom grew up and was cooking for a family, she could take advantage of modern kitchen appliances and convenience processed foods. She raised us on Chef Boyardee packaged meals, instant rice, TV dinners...
When I grew up and started cooking, I wanted the opposite of all that. Back to nature, healthy foods.  If you want to take a deep dive into that era of food culture, I recommend this book.

image.thumb.jpeg.b855ee006b74f2750b903ad0c3703329.jpeg

Edited by kirklandia
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

I fear Haile's in for the long haul, so many talking heads. It was almost las if she was narrating the episode.

Becca and her ever present smirk. Murt and his seemingly nine lives. It's almost as if they're courting younger viewers by making Gen Z the stars.

Hate watching this season. 

Signed, a cynical & jaded GenXer

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, eel2178 said:

All of the bottom 3 either overcooked or undercooked a protein. I don't get how raw chicken was any worse than a raw egg.

Well, you can eat a raw egg but you can’t eat raw chicken. There may be some risk but it’s not the same as eating raw chicken. And the egg was partially cooked. I actually thought it looked pretty good, maybe just a tad under how I like my eggs Benedict. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Tango64 said:

Well, you can eat a raw egg but you can’t eat raw chicken. There may be some risk but it’s not the same as eating raw chicken. And the egg was partially cooked. I actually thought it looked pretty good, maybe just a tad under how I like my eggs Benedict. 

Whenever Gordon does a poached egg the yolk looks more "jammy".  That's the word he uses to describe his yolks.  Personally they look over done to me.  I like my yolk really runny.  And besides raw eggs make up the basis of hollandaise sauce.

• Like 3
(edited)

Superficial comment: 

I am not a fan of Hallie because she wore jeans with the knees ripped out. I'm not against jeans with worn spots or even rips, whether authentic rips or not. But both knees just completely torn out? Look stupid.

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Like 6
17 hours ago, cameron said:

Whenever Gordon does a poached egg the yolk looks more "jammy".  That's the word he uses to describe his yolks.  Personally they look over done to me.  I like my yolk really runny.  And besides raw eggs make up the basis of hollandaise sauce.

I think the problem may have been with the white…when the camera zoomed in I could see uncooked white which I find gross.  

• Like 2
On 8/17/2024 at 7:26 AM, snarts said:

I fear Haile's in for the long haul, so many talking heads. It was almost las if she was narrating the episode.

My fear for her was her hair in the cake batter. Since the later shots of her had her hair tied back, I'm guessing someone else in the kitchen called her out on it.

• Like 2
On 8/17/2024 at 9:26 AM, snarts said:

Becca and her ever present smirk. Murt and his seemingly nine lives. It's almost as if they're courting younger viewers by making Gen Z the stars.

Hate watching this season. 

Signed, a cynical & jaded GenXer

I am starting to feel the same way, signed a cynical and jaded Boomer. That  Murt is still there is part of the reason.

I hate the whole generations concept and the way the judges act about them. The whole thing is insulting, especially to older generations.

I was WTF at the food they picked for the Boomer Box. Like sliced white bread is something that started to be popular in my generation? Wonder Bread came out in the '20s. Most of that stuff had the 1940s written all over it. I was born in '58. I ate frozen spinach, not canned. Never had powdered milk ever. The only things I related to were the pork chop (in my case with "Shake and Bake", which wasn't there), Jello, Italian dressing and low fat cottage cheese. Maybe the "Malty Milk" was supposed to be "Ovaltine"?  I guess that one was OK too but that has been around since before the '20s. Just how old do they think Boomers ARE?

I was also scratching my head at the GenX box. Like corn flakes are about their generation? No, I think Boomers and older can relate to that one too. And the cheese puffs. I remember those being around when I was a kid too. As well as The macaroni and cheese dinner, which has been around since the Great Depression!

And how does beef bologna have anything to do with Millennials? I was taking that to school in my lunch box all through the '60s and '70s!

On 8/17/2024 at 10:50 AM, Tango64 said:

That's true but the problem was also that Christopher only had one issue. In addition to undercooked egg, Arthur's dish had other issues, such as the doneness of his meat. So actually I could have seen Arthur going home based on having multiple issues.

Does raw chicken outweigh undercooked egg and over cooked meat plus a lackluster dish? I don't know about that. I guess it's just a thing that raw anything results in going home. If they can't even taste it, that's the kiss of death. It's regrettable because I personally think Arthur's dish was worse in the big picture.

20 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I think the problem may have been with the white…when the camera zoomed in I could see uncooked white which I find gross.  

Yes I saw that too. Plus we have to remember that the judges probably factor in that the egg has sat around for a while before they got to it and continued to cook before they sliced into it. So if it was still showing uncooked white after all that time it was definitely undercooked when it came off the stove.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I’m so happy Anna got cut. Did anyone notice how she double dips?  She dips her spoon into the food, tasted it and went right back to cooking, with the same spoon. 

Yes! That's like putting her whole mouth in the bowl!

• Like 1
(edited)
On 8/19/2024 at 3:45 AM, Yeah No said:

I am starting to feel the same way, signed a cynical and jaded Boomer. That  Murt is still there is part of the reason.

I hate the whole generations concept and the way the judges act about them. The whole thing is insulting, especially to older generations.

I was WTF at the food they picked for the Boomer Box. Like sliced white bread is something that started to be popular in my generation? Wonder Bread came out in the '20s. Most of that stuff had the 1940s written all over it. I was born in '58. I ate frozen spinach, not canned. Never had powdered milk ever. The only things I related to were the pork chop (in my case with "Shake and Bake", which wasn't there), Jello, Italian dressing and low fat cottage cheese. Maybe the "Malty Milk" was supposed to be "Ovaltine"?  I guess that one was OK too but that has been around since before the '20s. Just how old do they think Boomers ARE?

I was also scratching my head at the GenX box. Like corn flakes are about their generation? No, I think Boomers and older can relate to that one too. And the cheese puffs. I remember those being around when I was a kid too. As well as The macaroni and cheese dinner, which has been around since the Great Depression!

And how does beef bologna have anything to do with Millennials? I was taking that to school in my lunch box all through the '60s and '70s!

That's true but the problem was also that Christopher only had one issue. In addition to undercooked egg, Arthur's dish had other issues, such as the doneness of his meat. So actually I could have seen Arthur going home based on having multiple issues.

Does raw chicken outweigh undercooked egg and over cooked meat plus a lackluster dish? I don't know about that. I guess it's just a thing that raw anything results in going home. If they can't even taste it, that's the kiss of death. It's regrettable because I personally think Arthur's dish was worse in the big picture.

Yes I saw that too. Plus we have to remember that the judges probably factor in that the egg has sat around for a while before they got to it and continued to cook before they sliced into it. So if it was still showing uncooked white after all that time it was definitely undercooked when it came off the stove.

I still question the doneness of his egg.  He cooked it for 4 minutes which really would have turned out an overdone poached egg (hard yolk) and his white were perfectly formed over  the yolk.  Again, think it was manufactured producer driven drama.

Edited by cameron
  • Like 2

I went to a neighbor’s barbecue last week. When I was served an underdone burger I broke it open and shouted, “It’s rawwww!!!” Then I hurled it against their lawn mower.

i don’t think I’ll be invited back. 

• LOL 7

Funny foreboding by Rebeckah talking about chucking raw burgers... until Ramsay found a piece of raw chicken. I'm sure he wanted to throw that too. 😂 I'm highly suspicious of them showing so many favoring blue. Tryna make us think they won... Not Ramsay yelling over unwashed lettuce with everyone's bare hands assembling food. 🙄 Oh Arthur. Doomed to fail from the start with ol girl questioning him even being captain. He knew what was in store & he did it anyway & went home for it. Too easy to walk over & undermine. & if she wanted to win, she could've taken over. Guess she wanted him gone. 🤷

On 8/17/2024 at 8:50 AM, Tango64 said:

Well, you can eat a raw egg but you can’t eat raw chicken. There may be some risk but it’s not the same as eating raw chicken. 

This week we had raw shrimp, and they still ate it. Isn't that as bad as eating raw chicken?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Lindz said:

Ramsay yelling over unwashed lettuce with everyone's bare hands assembling food.

Then he throws it on the ground so it can attract vermin and insects when all they had to do was wash it.

He's such a drama queen.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I wasn't sorry to see Arthur go. He lost me last week when he shushed Anna. Yes, the crying and carrying on was OTT, but when someone standing next to you is breaking down, it warrants a shoulder pat or kind word, not a shush. I especially hate when men try to hush women.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, eel2178 said:

This week we had raw shrimp, and they still ate it. Isn't that as bad as eating raw chicken?

Actually not as bad but potentially not good if there are parasites in them. Most shrimp we eat have been frozen or previously frozen which kills most of that anyway. I've eaten raw shrimp as sushi but there the shrimp is of a known high quality so there wouldn't be much chance of a problem. Where chicken is concerned, no one risks that ever even if the chicken has been cleared as safe. I think it's much more of an issue with chicken.

10 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

I wasn't sorry to see Arthur go. He lost me last week when he shushed Anna. Yes, the crying and carrying on was OTT, but when someone standing next to you is breaking down, it warrants a shoulder pat or kind word, not a shush. I especially hate when men try to hush women.

If Arthur didn't go this week I was going to throw something at my TV. Despite his first hour's success he was circling the drain for a few weeks and I'm still not over the fact that he wasn't the one going home last week.

And we still have many Gen Z still left. I am not buying it, show.

• Like 3

Arthur was the right one to go but at the same time it’s too easy to throw someone under the bus by loudly saying “You don’t have a loud voice so you can’t lead” and Gordon jumps all over that. You can only lead competitors if they are willing to listen. These people knew Arthur had been on the bottom and would go home so they didn’t care. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I'm glad they're bundling the remaining episodes so the season will end quickly. 

Still hating the generational teams and coupling that with another stupid outdoor group challenge was enough to make me fast forward through much of the second half.

Another gripe, constantly calling for Michelin level food/plating from amateur home cooks. 

It was Arthur's time to go, even if I vehemently disagree with the reason given. 

• Like 6

I really think that, with the exception of Michael, the entire red team should have gone home.  There was obvious sabatoge occuring IMO as the coleslaw was taking 3 people an extreme amount of time to make.  And I really wanted Gordon to ask Daniela who told her the lettuce didn't have to be washed.  But the worst offender to me was Kamay who seemed to be purposefully and consistently working against Arthur.  I have no idea why he wanted to be captain, but he had little to no support from his team (Michael seemed to be trying to keep the burgers on track).

And, I have no idea why Rebecka chose chicken instead of burgers.  Her team had significant problems, but not as many as the other team.  She should have been more assertive about the chicken issue and swith out Horacio well before she did.  I think the only reason she made team changes was because Ramsay specifically told her to.

• Like 8

I've never actually come across a chicken thigh sandwich recipe that called for leaving the skin on. They pretty much universally call for boneless, skinless chicken thighs. So I don't know what Joe was on about with that, or Ramsay for that matter. It shouldn't be too hard to keep them juicy - they're far more forgiving to cook without drying out than chicken breast. Unless you flatten them out like a pancake like Horacio did.

I am still pretty ballistic over the continued Boomer insults, this time from Joe asking Horacio if he's "too old". I still can't believe that the show allows this. No other generation is getting this kind of trash talk based on age. It has to be deliberate. I've never thought about boycotting a show before but I'm increasingly considering it just based on that. And I'm considering writing to the network about it too.

• Like 6
  • Applause 7
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I am still pretty ballistic over the continued Boomer insults, this time from Joe asking Horacio if he's "too old". I still can't believe that the show allows this. No other generation is getting this kind of trash talk based on age. It has to be deliberate. I've never thought about boycotting a show before but I'm increasingly considering it just based on that. And I'm considering writing to the network about it too.

I agree, and it's pretty rich coming from these judges considering they are right there knocking on the door to the Baby Boom generation.

I was glad that Fatima finally left.  Her food has been unimpressive and had she not been on the seemingly favorite generational team of the judges, I think she would have been out a while ago.

This seemed like a really underwhelming 'michelin star lunch' for the quarry workers as it was...a burger (without fries) or a grilled chicken sandwich.  Nice, but not on par with what other team challenge meals have been.  

Oh, and it tickled me during the first challenge when Michael was so super excited that "Gordon Ramsay" spoke to him one on one.  I really like Michael.

• Like 5

Just last week, a friend and I were talking about how nice Kamay is and how much we like her,  and this week and we're both completely over it. Honestly, what was her problem? She clearly wanted to be leader herself, but she didn't say that when they were choosing and then she decided to punish Arthur in a way that seemed way more personal than necessary. I really hated how Arthur took all the blame when they lost too; he wasn't a great leader, but, except for Michael, the rest of his team was useless. Kamay was as deliberately unhelpful as she could be and Jeet, Daniela, and Kimberly acted like they'd never been in a kitchen before. Putting bacon in a deep fryer, taking a year and half to make 25 portions of coleslaw. Oh, and "I was told not to wash it." Ineptness all around.

Best part of the second episode was Rebecca and Horacio bickering about something and then Murt sardonically saying, "welcome to the team challenge," causing Warren to laugh in an evil but cute way. I don't mind Murt at all anymore because he's comic relief at this point, and I think he's the first person in many seasons (maybe ever, for all I know) NOT to go home after making fish tacos. As soon as he said he was making them, I figured he was doomed, so I was surprisingly happy for him when he ended up in the top 3. And Warren I just love because when the judges say shit to him during the cooking, trying to make him second guess himself, he laughs it off. I, too, thought potatoes and polenta together was starch overload, but Warren just happily said something like, "I want to eat all of it!" He won't win, but I wish we could see more from him while he's there.

• Like 4
(edited)

I don't know where I would even get chicken thighs that are boneless, but still have skin.  It's usually all or nothing.  Also - crispy chicken skin is great... but in a sandwich?  I've never heard of that, and I have no idea how you could even pull that off.  Beyond that, I don't get why the judges seemed to think the burger was such an obviously better choice.  I assume part of it is that Gordon has made burgers part of his branding - like, there's no "GR Chicken" in Las Vegas.  But it also felt like they were playing into their own stereotypes about the quarry workers - "surely they will prefer this greaseball burger, because they're blue collar Murricans!"  Guess not, fellas.  Personally, a bacon cheeseburger is just a bacon cheeseburger - you get more room for creativity flavor wise with the chicken.

Overall though, this felt like a really uninspired pair of episodes.  Seeing Grant again just reminded me that I still haven't learned which brewery in my area is his.  And frankly, the quarry was arguably the most lackluster setting for a team challenge in years.  They send the MC Junior kids to the Magic Castle, and these poor saps get dropped in a hole in the ground like a squad of Daleks in 70's Who.  I'm honestly surprised that there weren't more cleanliness issues with the amount of dust floating around that place.  But hey - they got to set off some blasting caps, so all's good.

Edited by Chyromaniac
I don't need to use "lackluster" twice in the same para.
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
On 8/22/2024 at 11:28 PM, Yeah No said:

Actually not as bad but potentially not good if there are parasites in them. Most shrimp we eat have been frozen or previously frozen which kills most of that anyway. I've eaten raw shrimp as sushi but there the shrimp is of a known high quality so there wouldn't be much chance of a problem. Where chicken is concerned, no one risks that ever even if the chicken has been cleared as safe. I think it's much more of an issue with chicken.

Torisashi - raw chicken sashimi.

I was surprised that Arthur, a business owner, didn't do better leading his team.  I suspect that his management style is one that assigns work and lets people handle things in their own way as long as they achieve his goals.  That's great with the creative types he probably deals with but it didn't work with a scattered group, a couple of whom weren't interested in him succeeding at all.  

I think I'm going to root for Michael now.

• Like 3

I like Michael too.  But my favorite is Kamay, Washington DC attorney.  Full disclosure:  I am an attorney who went to cooking school after retirement.

• Like 1

1st episode: this was a ridiculous challenge. There is no restaurant on earth that would expect two people taking turns to make a four course meal with different sides and sauces all at once. And some people don’t work well when someone is screaming at them. 

2nd episode: I love coffee and was interested in seeing different uses for the flavor. However, it bugged me that the people in the balcony were told to pick three to make dessert, then the judges kept admonishing them for trying to ruin someone’s game. This is getting too mean spirited for me.

• Like 5

Joe: "Let's see if these crepes can be the crescendo to this very successful culinary opera."  I get that you're a sanctimonious dick, but you should at least get the vocabulary right.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2

Sometimes I really don't understand how the judges judge the doneness of steaks. Jeet's steak still had pink in it and Gordon called it well done.

These tag team challenges bother me.  One person does the cooking while the person on the side just yells at them telling them what do to.  Then they switch and the roles are just reversed.  It's like they think the person doing the cooking all of a sudden forgets how to cook.  I understand reminding them about things but it was pretty much all orders from the person not doing the cooking.

After all of Rebecka's crying and complaining about possibly going home during the coffee dessert, I really wish she did.  In the previous challenge she put teams together to sabotage each other.  Then, when it happens to her, she just whines and whines and whines.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Is it just me or does it seem like they're doing a lot more nasty, mean-spirited competition between the contestants? I know it's all producer-driven, but in the past I thought the contestants on this show were known for being very supportive and encouraging each other. Now it's all "Here's a twist that's gonna take you down, Mary! Sucks to be you!"

• Like 7

The tag team episode is usually more dramatic than this one was, which is it's only virtue. No one last night was acting like a jerk, and there's usually at least one person who does. After the way she treated Arthur, I was betting that would be Kamay, but she was mostly okay with Murt, albeit a little eye-rolly.

Other than being allegedly good TV, it's a stupid challenge. Gordon said chefs need to be able to work together, but it's not like Alice Waters is well-known for entering the Chez Panisse kitchen every ten minutes and screaming "SWITCH!"

And you know it's a bad challenge when four of the five best cooks are in the bottom. It's annoying the way the judges kept calling Rebecca and Becca the dream team, but they both are very good cooks, as are Kamay and Adam. Jeet leaving was the right call under the circumstances, but she wouldn't have necessarily been bottom 3 in a normal challenge. She's been pretty middle of the pack.

I wasn't paying much attention to the second episode, but I was surprised that Adam's panna cotta didn't set because contestants have made it successfully on the show before, using extra gelatin and the blast freezer, as he did. Maybe they had more time. I thought Becca's dessert would fail because she doesn't drink coffee and said she was going to go by smell (I love coffee, but he smell and the taste are not all that related) but she did okay.

1 hour ago, Tango64 said:

Is it just me or does it seem like they're doing a lot more nasty, mean-spirited competition between the contestants? I know it's all producer-driven, but in the past I thought the contestants on this show were known for being very supportive and encouraging each other.

I feel like it's been this way for a while. In the first few seasons, it was a much more supportive atmosphere, both among the contestants and from the judges to the contestants. I think that was a big factor in why in season 2, Jennifer, a nice person, made the finals over Christian, a prick, even though he was a better cook. There seemed to be more emphasis on teaching home cooks professional skills and less lambasting them for not producing fine-dining quality food.

• Like 3

"I think the fact that you kind of overcooked the peppers and the corn is actually creating this beautiful sort of depth of flavor."

"I like the appeal of this dish."

I'm paying attention to about 2 percent of this season but it's nice to know that the judges are at least as incoherent as ever.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
(edited)
23 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

2nd episode: I love coffee and was interested in seeing different uses for the flavor. However, it bugged me that the people in the balcony were told to pick three to make dessert, then the judges kept admonishing them for trying to ruin someone’s game. This is getting too mean spirited for me.

Yes, it seems like Ramsey wants the chefs to be cutthroat and ruthless, and the chefs tend to be more supportive and cooperative. They get meaner to satisfy the judges expectations. 

And the language used to comment on who they chose to make dessert. Sabotage!  Targeting!  It wasn't their idea to have 3 people do a dessert, they were told they had to!

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Like 5

I also feel like the judges are being harsher and sometimes nastier this season.  Joe especially.  Aaron even tries to pull that off but he's such a schmuck that I can't take him seriously.  They all act as if they're dealing with professionals instead of home cooks.

My guess is that the contestants get a lot of instruction and maybe even some practice before the relay episode.  Making four rather complex dishes in a mere 75 minutes is not something people who aren't used to working together can just plunge into with very little thinking and planning.  

I had very little interest in the two women who were eliminated so I won't miss either of them.

Murt got off on the wrong foot in the first episode but he settled down.  I like him now.

Rebecka is a poor sport.  She's a good cook but the more I see of her and her attitude, the less I like her.  I don't care for Becca either but she was trying her best. 

I like the tall guy who's 70 y/o.  Warren?  He won't win and I'm going to be sorry to see him go.  I wish I had his energy.

Adam is lucky that someone did worse than he did.  I don't know why anyone on a cooking show tries to make panna cotta.  It's usually the kiss of death right along with risotto.  Don't they watch Chopped?

Still rooting for Michael.

• Like 5

I would like Rebecca to be the next one to leave.  She had a horrible attitude during the coffee challenge (and the mistake was totally hers, making a dish she said she makes all of the time!).  She purposefully tried to pair people during the first episode that would sabotague their teams.  I think she feels entitled to win this season for some reason.

And, Kimberly?  You and Michael made a good strategic decision to try and eliminate one of the better cooks, so don't whine the whole time and act like you never thought Rebecca might leave.  Stand behind your decision.

I am still fully on Team Michael at this point, but also like Warren and Adam.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Back from vacation and the only thing worth watching was Gordon showing everyone how to make filet mignon with coffee grounds dry rub, the mushrooms, and sauce!

@seacliffsal, this is STRIKE TWO! You failed to mention this! You know what will happen if you hit three, don’t you?😜🤪

I’m rooting for Michael and Adam.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Back from vacation and the only thing worth watching was Gordon showing everyone how to make filet mignon with coffee grounds dry rub, the mushrooms, and sauce!

@seacliffsal, this is STRIKE TWO! You failed to mention this! You know what will happen if you hit three, don’t you?😜🤪

I’m rooting for Michael and Adam.

Oh no!!! I don't know what happened to me!!! The whole time I was watching that segment I was just so excited while at the very same time I was also frustrated because I just wanted to watch Gordon and couldn't understand why they kept showing the reactions of all of the contestants instead of just focusing on HIM!!!  I must have still been angrily frustrated and not able to verbalize how wondrous it was to watch Gordon cook.  It's like he's a kitchen magician (and, yes, my experience at his River Restaurant in July [in the Savoy in London] was just as fabulous as one could imagine!).

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Oh no!!! I don't know what happened to me!!! The whole time I was watching that segment I was just so excited while at the very same time I was also frustrated because I just wanted to watch Gordon and couldn't understand why they kept showing the reactions of all of the contestants instead of just focusing on HIM!!! I must have still been angrily frustrated and not able to verbalize how wondrous it was to watch Gordon cook.  It's like he's a kitchen magician (and, yes, my experience at his River Restaurant in July [in the Savoy in London] was just as fabulous as one could imagine!).

I KNOW! Regarding the bolded. I didn’t need Hallie’s talking head or her frowning face or the others’!

And Magician is right-he makes it look so easy!

They need to have Gordon do one every week to make up for the tired and scripted crap we have to go through.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 8/31/2024 at 2:38 PM, mlp said:

I also feel like the judges are being harsher and sometimes nastier this season.  Joe especially.  Aaron even tries to pull that off but he's such a schmuck that I can't take him seriously.  They all act as if they're dealing with professionals instead of home cooks.

It's producer driven.  Apparently it's what the audience wants (not us of course!).  Gordon Ramsey is much nicer on his British shows.  I don't find Joe any nastier than he's always been.

• Applause 1

So dumb that they keep taking these huge breaks. I understand not wanting to counterprogram the Olympics but then they came back for like two episodes in one night and now they are off for another week. As if I needed an excuse to further disengage from this craptastic ageist season.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jcbrown said:

So dumb that they keep taking these huge breaks. I understand not wanting to counterprogram the Olympics but then they came back for like two episodes in one night and now they are off for another week. As if I needed an excuse to further disengage from this craptastic ageist season.

My DVR shows it’s on next week.  

As for this week, when Becca was saying she didn’t really have experience with spices I was so expecting her to say “because spices are against my religion.”  I know that’s terrible but it was the first thing that came to my mind when she was making that statement.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1