Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It was really unclear to me what they had to do in the appetizer round.  Did they cook the risotto from scratch or just finish it off?  Someone (Jennifer?) was whining about how difficult the five components were.  What were the 5 components?  Stir rice, plate, cook lobster, plate, add garnish?  How hard is that?

Is it my TV or is was the risotto an incredibly unappetizing grey?

Those scallops looked like crap.  No way I'd pay $30 for 5 1/2 scallops butchered like that (or even perfectly cut for that matter).

• Like 2

Individual challenge, Gordon would be yelling at 10 minutes to go “ get your steaks in the pan NOW so they can rest!” Team challenge, he wants them to go from raw to the pass in 5 minutes.

He’ll stop some food from going out to diners because it’s raw, but other  undercooked stuff “gets by” him. Then it gets sent back and goes ballistic.

Edited by Msample
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Kennedy actually looks a lot better without the stupid knit hats.  I don’t know why she keeps wearing them.

Because production made her and presumably Gordon put his foot down in his own restaurant.

She doesn't even wear them properly - they're just perched on the top of her head most of the time, probably because they're making her too hot, but production's making her keep them on.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 5
45 minutes ago, Msample said:

He’ll stop some food from going out to diners because it’s raw, but other  undercooked stuff “gets by” him. Then it gets sent back and goes ballistic.

That always annoys me along with the above mentioned inconsistency of yelling at them to hurry and then complaining when things aren't fully cooked.  He does the same thing on HK.  

I did not understand Wayne's elimination.  He didn't get the sauce on properly but the rest of his plate was good.  They didn't like anything about Kennedy's dish and made rather scathing comments.  Wayne has been one of the best all along (and my favorite) so sending him home made no sense to me.

I liked Reagan but I was surprised she made it as far as she did.  I'm glad she left happy.  I don't like Kennedy or Jennifer so I hope Grant can pull it out.  He was my #2 all along.

• Like 7

Well this season, my predictions have sucked. I would have thought that Wayne would have been in the finale for sure. I definitely wouldn't have predicted that Reagan would have gotten farther than him, lol.

They missed the chance to do the all-president team of Grant, Kennedy and Reagan. The elimination of Sav was messed up IMO. Either boot Grant for being team captain and his own mistakes or boot Jennifer for sending up a bunch of raaaaaaaaaawwr food.

I predict a two-hour coronation for Kennedy. Hopefully I continue to be incorrect. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

Well, this whole season as well as this two hour episode are totally worth it as I got to watch Gordon cook two different times!!!  I am going to London in July and wil be booking a table at the River Restaurant at the Savoy for the set-lunch menu just to finally be able to eat at a Gordon Ramsey restaurant!

I was surprised and a bit saddened that Wayne went home.  I wish it had been Kennedy instead.  I really don't like the competitions when some of the dishes are harder/more complex than others yet there is no adjustment to the judging.  It's not that I dislike Reagan, but she should have been eliminated prior to this episode, so her 'easier' dish didn't seem 'equal' to Wayne's dish with the pasta that the judges stated would be the hardest.  And Kennedy, who seemed to have the easiest dough IMO, really missed with her sauce.  Is having a bad sauce better than not having a sauce?  

I wasn't surprised that Reagan was eliminated after the cook with Gordon segment.  But, she kept up better with him than I ever would have been able to do.  Quite the challenge!

Oh, and I thought that even with the producers' misdirects there was no way Red would win the restaurant challenge.  The editors had a hard time hiding how bad that service was.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Not a fan of taking the show to Hell's Kitchen. It's always been so obvious that Gordon really plays up the hysterical mean chef persona on HK because that's what that show is all about, whereas MasterChef is probably more his true personality -- firm, with high expectations, but not a psychopath. With the exception of the stupid outdoor catering challenges, which is why I don't like them. Let's keep those worlds separate.

Edited by Tango64
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Well, this whole season as well as this two hour episode are totally worth it as I got to watch Gordon cook two different times!!! 

I know, right? I had a big ass smile on my face both times! Finally. Something worth watching.

Go Grant! This is the same guy who was in charge of the mashed potatoes and ran out in that stupid outside pop up or whatever challenge.

I really don't want Jennifer or Kennedy to win, because they both irk me.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Tango64 said:

The judges have a weird obsession with landlocked states. "You're from Iowa! You don't have seafood! Have you ever seen seafood? Do you even know what the word means???!!!"

I think I heard the word "landlocked" more on this show this season than I have in the last 20 years. I know the coastal elites generally have contempt for the flyover states, but do they really think there is no seafood available in the midwest? (And news flash, even landlocked states have lakes and rivers.)

Kennedy lasted way longer than several better chefs. She was kind of a producer/host pet. 

I was sure that both Wayne and Grant would not be in the final three. So, one of them had to go. 

Sav ended up being my favorite contestant. She seemed sincere and genuine.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, KeithJ said:

Jennifer puts out raw salmon and it’s somehow Sav’s fault.  Grant then puts out an under steak and it’s again Sav’s fault? Yes, she’s expediting but c’mon, hold the people cooking responsible.

And then, Sav cooks scallops under or over and it's NOT Grant's fault for sending them out anyway. I figured the contestant I started to like for being level-headed and not OTT was going to go. Boo. She didn't deserve that and looked so miserable. 

I will give Jennifer the pasta challenge because wow, that was a gorgeous plate. But she bugs me to no end because she's clearly a producer pick/favorite and advanced, like Reagan, way farther than she should have.

Grant (or, as Gordon says, GRAHHHHHNT) is meh, but tolerable. Kennedy is irksome and who thought those uber thick eyelashes were a good idea? She ain't glam, wardrobe. It's OK that some women aren't. 

Want to try saffron pasta. 

No words for the idiocy on display with regards to landlocked states being totally bereft of seafood. Grant can break out a walleye or bluegill dish in the finale. 

• Like 3

I think Sav should have stayed and Jennifer gone after the restaurant challenge.  I don't mind Kennedy so much, I just realized last night this is like the first talking head I've seen from her.  She's more approachable than she lets on, I think she may have some defenses that come off as arrogant.  I wanted Wayne in, I really like him. Not a fan of Jennifer or Reagan, so my top 3 would have been Wayne, Sav, and either Kennedy or Grant.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tango64 said:

The judges have a weird obsession with landlocked states. "You're from Iowa! You don't have seafood! Have you ever seen seafood? Do you even know what the word means???!!!"

They actually do, but it takes a wealthy entrepreneur to get it to them. 

I did not care for the 'keep up with Gordon' challenge. Cooking is hard enough because you need to pay attention to what you are doing, not trying to split  attention tween eyeballing speedy GR and your own pans.  It's like an algebra teacher solving an equation at the board at lightning speed and expecting students to solve it on their own just as quickly. Fast food i can see this concept working - elevated dishes, NO friggin way. That and why the urgency? GR has years behind him so has built up speed, no need for these learners to have to rush things, it just promotes screwing up the dishes.

• Like 10

There is a difference between seafood and fish, seafood coming from the ocean and fish coming from lakes and streams. I always looked sideways at sushi and other seafood restaurants when I lived in Vegas because I'd grown up on the California coast and knew that seafood in Vegas was not nearly as fresh. I don't care how it's brought in, it definitely sat at the airport or in a truck on ice for several hours so ick. 

I'm annoyed because I missed the episode. Sling told me it was airing at 7:00 pm local time but they actually aired it at 5:00 pm. Only saw the last few minutes. And I can't watch the local broadcast from 8:00-10:00 pm because I get up for work at 4:00 am. Boo. 

Saw an interview with Wayne.  When asked who he'd like to see win, he said he'd like to see his teammate Grant win, but he was always impressed with the things Kennedy was making.

No mention of Jennifer.  I don't think they're going to be on each other's Christmas card lists.

• Like 2

I was sorry to see Wayne go.  But, a rewatch this morning told me his chorizo sauce or oil wasn't going to cut it anyhow.  The judges had already expressed skepticism about it and, once he saw it wasn't working out, he should have switched to another sauce, even something very simple, just to have a sauce on the plate. 

Anyhow, I am rooting for Grant. 

• Like 3

I know I wish Gordon would go slower when he's showing me the contestants how to cook, but I'll take that over their fakey ass "oohs!" and "aahhhhs" and "OMGEEES!" whenever a guest/previous winner is announced and they yammer on about what they've done. Just have Gordon do a demo each and every time, thankyouverymuch. I know @seacliffsal feels the same way I do. So THERE!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
19 hours ago, Colorado David said:

I did not care for the 'keep up with Gordon' challenge. Cooking is hard enough because you need to pay attention to what you are doing, not trying to split  attention tween eyeballing speedy GR and your own pans.  It's like an algebra teacher solving an equation at the board at lightning speed and expecting students to solve it on their own just as quickly. Fast food i can see this concept working - elevated dishes, NO friggin way. That and why the urgency? GR has years behind him so has built up speed, no need for these learners to have to rush things, it just promotes screwing up the dishes.

You're absolutely right, but somehow I don't care!  😉

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know I wish Gordon would go slower when he's showing me the contestants how to cook, but I'll take that over their fakey ass "oohs!" and "aahhhhs" and "OMGEEES!" whenever a guest/previous winner is announced and they yammer on about what they've done. Just have Gordon do a demo each and every time, thankyouverymuch. I know @seacliffsal feels the same way I do. So THERE!

Yes indeed I do!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/14/2023 at 10:11 AM, Tango64 said:

Not a fan of taking the show to Hell's Kitchen. It's always been so obvious that Gordon really plays up the hysterical mean chef persona on HK because that's what that show is all about, whereas MasterChef is probably more his true personality -- firm, with high expectations, but not a psychopath. With the exception of the stupid outdoor catering challenges, which is why I don't like them. Let's keep those worlds separate.

Totally cosign this. I don't watch HK because I don't want to watch Gordon scream at people so moving this show to that format is a non-starter for me. I fast forwarded through most of the first episode and just watched the elimination.

• Like 1

I'm sorry that this is about an earlier show, but I'm behind on my dvr and I have to say this:

All the judges are APPALLED to see a mackerel prepared like a filet and I thought Joe might lean over and vomit when he saw that mackerel broth.  But why?  I even played it a second time and no one ever explained why it was so egregious for him to treat that fish that way.  They just kept repeating: "You don't do it like this!" "I've never seen anyone do this!" "You can't make a broth out of a fish like this, [you idiot]!" 

Honestly, I still don't know the answer.    His dish looked pretty serviceable to me. 

A teachable moment, wasted.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, candall said:

I'm sorry that this is about an earlier show, but I'm behind on my dvr and I have to say this:

All the judges are APPALLED to see a mackerel prepared like a filet and I thought Joe might lean over and vomit when he saw that mackerel broth.  But why?  I even played it a second time and no one ever explained why it was so egregious for him to treat that fish that way.  They just kept repeating: "You don't do it like this!" "I've never seen anyone do this!" "You can't make a broth out of a fish like this, [you idiot]!" 

Honestly, I still don't know the answer.    His dish looked pretty serviceable to me. 

A teachable moment, wasted.

Others may disagree, but to me, mackerel is a gross fish - it is strongly fishy tasting and very oily. I don't know about fileting vs any other breakdown, but the thought of mackerel broth is absolutely nauseating!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Catfish & hushpuppies were a delicious staple where I grew up, but on the East Coast, my catfish dinner arrived as a flat flabby slab sitting in a puddle of oily water.  When I moved to Key West, catfish was universally regarded with distaste:  "That fish eats shit."

I like the flavor and texture of mackerel as sashimi.  I'd give it a shot as a filet before I threw up my hands in disbelief.

ETA   Agree that "mackerel broth" is a bit of a tough nut to crack. 

: )

Edited by candall
  • Like 2

Yeah, most foodies feel that way about catfish, 'a bottom feeder'.  Course a pig eats literally, slop, so what's the difference?  Don't care for the taste of catfish myself, but it seems an odd way to categorize it.

Gordon "how long for 3 salmon, 1 filet?" Team "7 minutes" Gordon "I want it in 5" ...later, Gordon "This filet is raw, STOP RUSHING" 🙄

Also, not lost on this viewer how both men were captains while they women were relegated to sous chef. I see you, Gordon. 

Nevermind the fact that home chefs have no desire to work in restaurant kitchen. Stupid challenge. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
20 minutes ago, snarts said:

Also, not lost on this viewer how both men were captains while they women were relegated to sous chef. I see you, Gordon. 

In fairness, it is commonplace for the show to take teammates who won a previous challenge and make them rival captains in the next. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, janey99 said:

Others may disagree, but to me, mackerel is a gross fish - it is strongly fishy tasting and very oily. I don't know about fileting vs any other breakdown, but the thought of mackerel broth is absolutely nauseating!

I love mackerel - cured for sashimi, grilled, yum.  Mackerel broth though, yuck.

• Like 1

One thing I noticed about the "crossover" if you will, is that Gordon was speedreading the orders like he does on Hell's Kitchen.  I could actually understand how many of what was ordered.

That said, still not a fan of this, as the contestants aren't trying to win a place as Gordon's chef at one of his restaurants and are all HOME cooks. Right?

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

One thing I noticed about the "crossover" if you will, is that Gordon was speedreading the orders like he does on Hell's Kitchen.  I could actually understand how many of what was ordered.

That said, still not a fan of this, as the contestants aren't trying to win a place as Gordon's chef at one of his restaurants and are all HOME cooks. Right?

They may be "home cooks" but many of them have stated that they want to open restaurants, open bakeries, etc., so it seems like some of the contestants' end goals mirror those from other shows.

• Useful 1
On 9/16/2023 at 12:06 AM, candall said:

I thought Joe might lean over and vomit when he saw that mackerel broth.  But why

I was curious, so I poked around a bit on the interwebs and what I see is: oily fish doesn't work for stock and is very strong. Which, OK, I don't want to sip an oil slick either, but I also saw that mackerel broth is not necessarily the dish from hell - if made with enough aromatics and maybe other fish to curb the extreme fishiness just a tad. And not to simmer the broth for more than 30-45 minutes. 

Somebody with a lot of mackerel experience might have known this, but Grant, not knowing his mackerel from his sea bass, being, of course, from the Midwest where our jaws drop at the very idea of this protein called seafood or fish....didn't have much of a chance to make it work, but he went for it, I guess. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Finally caught up with this.  The last few eliminations have sucked but I felt that Reagan was past due to go.  She seemed to luck out a few times on the team challenges or she probably would have been eliminated by now.  I don't mind the "cook along with Gordon" challenge because it really separates the good from the mediocre cooks.  No teammates to hide behind there!  I don't think he expects them to be able to keep up perfectly like he would of professional chefs.  The goal is how close they can come. 

I'm also scratching my head at how Kennedy and Jennifer are still there and Wayne isn't.  I was rooting for him.  Also not happy about Sav being sent home over Jennifer.  Grant is showing himself to be deserving of the win though, so I'm rooting for him now.   

As for mackerel, I love it but I'm part Sicilian so I grew up eating lots of oily fish.  I can see fileting it and pan frying it but not making a broth out of it, though.  That would be yucky.  I do think it showed a lack of experience with the fish to try that.

• Like 4
On 9/17/2023 at 12:42 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Another peeve of mine is the somewhat archaic brigade system with shouted commands - most kitchens these days orders are entered into a POS system and they get spit out of printers at various stations in the kitchen. 

• Like 4

I was very happy with Grant's win.  I always go by the criterion:  whose menu would I order in a restaurant?  Definitely not Kennedy's slaughtered rabbit or bagel dessert.  Also not Jennifer's venison.  I don't like gamy meat.  I was afraid that the judges would consider Grant's perfect menu to be too safe, but everything was cooked perfectly.  I would so pay $100 for it in a high end restaurant.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, susannot said:

I know Aaron said "exascerbate" something.  He could only have meant "exaggerate", right?  Exaggerate what?

He was babbling about one ingredient exacerbating the other ingredients. I think he meant amplify, not exacerbate. At least he hasn't called anything unctuous tonight.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Seriously though................ I was very happy that Grant won.  I thought for several episodes that they were setting Kennedy up but I guess not because they could have called her cake wonderful and viewers wouldn't have known better.  She was trying too hard to be cute and edgy.  I worried when she had one plate decorated all around with green moss or something and none of the judges told her not to put things on plates that can't be eaten.  I wondered why they ignored that.  Anyway, I liked Grant and he won fair and square.  

• Like 8