Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Samuel L. Jackson Talks Marvel, [OMITTED REST OF HEADLINE]
BY MARLOW STONE   JUNE 20, 2023
Rolling Stone article link

The SAG strike is looming as well. Tom Hanks recently discussed his fears about AI, and how the studios may produce work featuring you after you’ve passed.
People just started worrying about that? I asked about that a long time ago. ... Ever since I’ve been in the Marvel Universe, every time you change costumes in a Marvel movie, they scan you. Ever since I did Captain Marvel, and they did the Lola project where they de-aged me and everything else, it’s like, “Well, I guess they can do this anytime they want to do it if they really want to!” It could be something to worry about. Future actors should do what I always do when I get a contract and it has the words “in perpetuity” and “known and unknown” on it: I cross that shit out. It’s my way of saying, “No, I do not approve of this.”
Let’s talk Secret Invasion. Had you been pushing Marvel to give Nick Fury his own project for a while?
I actually have not. My biggest concern with Marvel was trying to keep them from killing me more than anything else. [Laughs] I kind of liked the gig! When they called me in to tell me what’s going on, I always thought they were trying to kill me. They didn’t let me go to Wakanda, which I was kind of upset about. How could Nick Fury not know about Wakanda? They said, “Well, you do know but you can’t go.” I always wanted to tell the story about who Nick was before he had these superhero friends — when he lived in the shadow world as a spy, and how he connected with these people. Secret Invasion is not a superhero movie. It’s gritty and dark.

When you first popped up as Nick Fury in Iron Man, did you have any idea you’d be playing him for 15-plus years?
They told me they were giving me a 9-picture deal, and at the time, making nine pictures would’ve taken almost 10, 12 years. I had no idea that it would happen that quickly. I’ve been grateful for the work and the character. I’ve been fortunate to fall into some franchise things over the years, from Jurassic Park to Star Wars to this.

Was that a good 9-picture deal for you, or a bad Scottie Pippen-type deal? Did they lock you in at a low rate or do you feel you’ve been fairly compensated?
Every deal was negotiable. [Laughs] Every movie was a negotiated deal. It wasn’t like, “You do one movie and the next one will be X more dollars.” It was better than that. It’s been equitable in terms of what it’s been and how it’s played out. But there are things I wish I’d been in that I wasn’t in, like Civil War. If the kids are fighting, why isn’t Nick Fury there to send them to their rooms? They never explained that to me.
You’re going to be in The Marvels with Brie Larson, and you two are good pals. She got so much hate for playing Captain Marvel from the more sexist side of Marvel’s fanbase. What was it like to see her go through that?
Brie’s a stronger person than people give her credit for. We had done Kong together, which was not the most wonderful experience for either of us. We became great friends during that particular experience because we were having such a hard time. Then, when she was doing her movie [Unicorn Store] and trying to get a particular actor, I was in the makeup trailer with her and was like, “Why are you trying to hire this other actor and not trying to get me to do your movie?” She said, “I didn’t think you’d ever do it… so, will you?” And I was like, “Let’s do it.” ... Then, when she got Captain Marvel, she called me and was like, “They want me in the Marvel Universe. Should I do it?” And I was like, “Hell yeah! Let’s do it!” But she’s not going to let any of that stuff destroy her. These incel dudes who hate strong women, or the fact that she’s a feminist who has an opinion and expressed it? Everybody wants people to be who they want them to be. She is who she is, and she’s genuinely that.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

No Marvel panels at SDCC this year...

Comic-Con Crisis: Marvel, Netflix, Sony, HBO and Universal to Skip SDCC as Fest Faces Another Existential Threat
By Adam B. Vary    June 23, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/comic-con-schedule-marvel-netflix-hbo-sony-universal-skipping-1235653256/ 

.... If SAG-AFTRA and the AMPTP cannot come to terms by the June 30 contract deadline and the guild goes on strike, actors will almost certainly join writers and showrunners in sitting out promotional events like Comic-Con, leaving studios with almost no one to populate panels in front of thousands of expectant fans.

Amid that uncertainty, several studios have preemptively nixed plans for a robust presence at SDCC this year. Disney and its subsidiaries Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm are not planning any panels, cutting off the chance to showcase the casts for upcoming projects like “The Marvels,” “Loki” Season 2, “Ahsoka” and “Haunted Mansion.” ....

Edited by tv echo

Well, it's not exactly a surprise that Disney skips comic-con - They have their own event after all, which is also supposed to be as special as possible due to the celebration of Disney's 100 anniversary. 

(edited)

Chadwick Boseman and Kevin Feige will receive stars on The Hollywood Walk of Fame next year...

Michelle Yeoh, Sammy Hagar, Chadwick Boseman named 2024 Hollywood Walk of Fame honorees
by: Christine Samra  Jun 26, 2023 
https://ktla.com/entertainment/sheryl-lee-ralph-dr-dre-sammy-hagar-chadwick-boseman-named-2024-hollywood-walk-of-fame-honorees/ 

The Hollywood Walk of Fame revealed the 2024 class of honorees on Monday morning.
The late actor Chadwick Boseman will be posthumously honored on the star-studded street in the Motion Pictures category. Others in the category include Michelle Yeoh, Chris Pine, Kevin Feige, Chris Meledandri, Gal Gadot, Christina Ricci and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Behind The Scenes: Making of “Rogers: The Musical” | Disneyland Resort
Disney Parks    Jun 23, 2023

Go behind the scenes for a rare first look at the set designs, plus the dance and music rehearsals for “Rogers: The Musical” premiering June 30th for a limited time at Disney California Adventure Park. See what the action is like on stage at the Hyperion Theater and take a closer look at the Super-Soldier Transformation Chamber set.

As part of the Disney100 celebration at Disneyland Resort, the Hyperion Theater at Disney California Adventure Park presents “Rogers: The Musical” – an all-new, one-act live theater production performing for a limited time, June 30-Aug. 31, 2023. Inspired by the fictional musical number from the first episode of the Disney+ series “Hawkeye,” the real-life “Rogers: The Musical” tells the story of Steve Rogers – Captain America, including his relationship with Peggy Carter. The 30-minute show was brought to life through the creativity of Disney Live Entertainment, in partnership with book writer Hunter Bell and featuring music by Grammy-winning composer Christopher Lennertz.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Positive reviews...

Rogers: The Musical Review: A Super Show For a Super Soldier
By CAMERON BONOMOLO - June 29, 2023
https://comicbook.com/irl/news/rogers-the-musical-review-marvel-captain-america-musical-disneyland-resort/ 

"I could watch this all day," remarked an audience member after curtains fell on Disneyland's premiere of Rogers: The Musical. ...
The story of Steve Rogers is "about superheroes, romance, and time travel," sings a trio of sparkling Starkettes in the "U-S-Opening Night" opening number, framing the narrative like the self-aware Muses in Disney's Hercules. Spanning 80 years and multiple MCU movies but told "in 30 minutes or less," the show breezes through the events of Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), The Avengers (2012), and Avengers: Endgame (2019), but captures what Dan Fields, Executive Creative Director at Disney Live Entertainment, said is "the humor, heroism, and heart" of the once-fake musical that relives the life of Steve Rogers.

Review: Disneyland delivers the Marvel musical you didn’t know you wanted or needed
By Brady MacDonald   June 30, 2023
https://www.marinij.com/2023/06/30/review-disneyland-delivers-the-marvel-musical-you-didnt-know-you-wanted-or-needed/ 

“Rogers: The Musical” is at times fun, funny, silly, poignant, determined and romantic with plenty of heart and energy. It’s utterly ridiculous to see Captain America sing a love song on a Broadway stage surrounded by sequined USO singers, star spangled dancers, Thor and Iron Man — but somehow it works. In short: This is the Marvel musical you didn’t know you were waiting for and won’t be able to stop talking about. The breezy and brisk theme park show expertly walks a fine line, taking itself seriously, but not too seriously.

Disneyland Marvel-Themed Rogers: The Musical REVIEW, Is it Worth Your Time?
By Gavin Doyle    June 30, 2023
https://mickeyvisit.com/disneyland-rogers-the-musical-avengers/

In addition to two songs we’re familiar with, “Star Spangled Man” from Captain America: the First Avenger and “Save the City” from Hawkeye, the show also feature 5 new songs with music by Christopher Lennertz and lyrics by Jordan Peterson, Christopher Lennertz and Alex Karukas. The music features several musical genres, including big band jazz, modern funk, classic orchestra, and more, with recordings from a 60-piece orchestra featured in the show. Rogers: The Musical features lots of variety in its songs, from a romantic ballad to a high-energy battle song.
The set design features two-dimensional scenery, several moving set pieces, and the Hyperion theater’s 2,200-square-foot video screen. The Avengers and other familiar characters have a unique costume design that is not exactly how we see them in movies but leave a “more casual” impression of the characters (very similar to what we saw in Hawkeye). 

The choreography takes inspiration from dance styles from across the decades, “spinning them with a modern twist” according to Disney Live Entertainment Choreographer Sarah Kobayashi.
The actors were amazing, and a highlight was their vocal performances. The actor who portrays Steve Rogers after his transformation is an absolutely powerhouse and has incredible vocal chemistry with the other performers, and the harmonies click together perfectly. Truly heaven to the ears!

Edited by tv echo
On 5/27/2023 at 7:23 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Plus when I think about the Secret Wars comic storyline and what I know about it, Raimi is absolutely the one director will probably know better than to put Peter Parker in that stupid black costume.

This is more likely going to be based on/inspired by Jonathan Hickman's sweeping Fantastic Four story from the 2010s instead of Jim Shooter's original 80s Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars.

(edited)

Somebody posted Rogers The Musical on YouTube. Won’t link it here just in case they take it down.

In another life, I might have loved this. But to avoid opening the Endgame can of worms, all I will say the Stucky stans are in for a bitter disappointment, because Bucky and Sam aren’t it in at all, let alone mentioned. All they get is

Spoiler

A hologram image of Old Man Steve showing younger Steve the Avengers of the future before Steve time-wimeys back to Peggy. That’s. About. It.

Nice to know all the trolling and bitching from Stucky stans was all for nothing, huh?

Edited by Spartan Girl
On 6/30/2023 at 12:52 PM, starri said:

This is more likely going to be based on/inspired by Jonathan Hickman's sweeping Fantastic Four story from the 2010s instead of Jim Shooter's original 80s Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars.

Hmmm…. That’s interesting. I have no knowledge of the Hickman storyline at all. So it’ll be new to me. 

2 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

Hmmm…. That’s interesting. I have no knowledge of the Hickman storyline at all. So it’ll be new to me. 

It's very interesting. Hickman likes great big 'wow!' concepts, and SW is a good one.

I'd love an anthology show that delved into some of the realms. Siege and Planet Hulk were my favourite ones.

(edited)

How the Marvel Cinematic Universe Swallowed Hollywood
By Michael Schulman    June 5, 2023
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/06/12/how-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-swallowed-hollywood 

Twenty years ago, few people would have bet that a struggling comic-book company would turn a bunch of second-string superheroes into movie icons—much less swallow the film industry whole. Yet the Marvel phenomenon has yanked Hollywood into a franchise-drunk new era, in which intellectual property, more than star power or directorial vision, drives what gets made, with studios scrambling to cobble together their own fictional universes. The shift has come at a perilous time for moviegoing. Audiences, especially since the pandemic, are seeing fewer films in the theatre and streaming more from home, forcing studios to lean on I.P.-driven tentpoles like “The Super Mario Bros. Movie.” Kevin Goetz, the founder of Screen Engine, which studies audience behavior, pointed to Marvel’s sense of “elevated fun” to explain why it gets people to the theatre: “They’re carnival rides, and they’re hefty carnival rides.”
Industry people like to speculate about “Marvel fatigue,” which is mostly wishful thinking—though a recent series of creative missteps and corporate machinations have rivals salivating. As much as competitors gripe about Marvel, though, they’ve spent the past decade trying to emulate it. Marvel’s nemesis, DC Studios, which is owned by Warner Bros., has a hit-or-miss record, with often gritty, self-serious movies that lack Marvel’s zip and quality control. Last year, Warner Bros. brought in James Gunn (who directed Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy) and Peter Safran to reboot DC’s film universe, presumably in the image of the M.C.U. Sony, which shares the Spider-Man franchise with Marvel, is building out its Spider-verse with characters like Venom. In 2017, Universal announced its own Dark Universe, based on its classic monsters, such as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Russell Crowe) and the Invisible Man (Johnny Depp). After the first installment—“The Mummy,” starring Tom Cruise—disappointed, the plan was scrapped.

The lesson: you can’t wish a universe into existence, Genesis style. Marvel, which had a preëxisting tangle of comic-book plots to draw on, rolled out its movies methodically, gaining the audience’s trust. Goetz, the audience analyst, compared it to Apple: “The Marvel folks have an emotional handshake with their consumers.” Just as you can live your tech life within the frictionless confines of MacBooks and iPads, it’s possible to live your entire entertainment life in the Marvel universe, which pumps out a new series or movie every few weeks. Because the M.C.U. rewards expertise, it can baffle the casual viewer. If you saw “Wakanda Forever” and wondered what the hell Julia Louis-Dreyfus was doing in it, you likely missed her character’s début, in the Disney+ series “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.” But a critical mass is on board. “The expression ‘preach to the choir’ often implies a certain niche-ness,” Christopher Markus, one of the writers of “Endgame,” said. “There was a very gratifying, unduplicatable sense with that movie that the choir was nearly global.”
Thirty-odd films later, Marvel’s critics (and even some fans) groan at the formula. There’s the climactic C.G.I. slugfest, often pitting a good iron man against a bad iron man, or a good dragon against a bad dragon, or a good witch against a bad witch. There’s the self-referential shtick, the interchangeable villains. There are presumed-dead characters who reappear, as on a soap opera. Most plots boil down to “Keep glowy thing away from bad guy,” and the stakes are nothing less than the fate of the world, which come to feel like no stakes at all.

Within that framework, however, the M.C.U. allows for a range of stylistic variation. Branagh’s Shakespearean “Thor” gave way to Waititi’s zany sequels, rife with dick jokes and heavy metal. Jon Watts modelled his Spider-Man films on John Hughes’s teen dramas. For “Captain America: Winter Soldier,” the Russo brothers drew on Watergate-era thrillers such as “Three Days of the Condor.” And Ryan Coogler’s “Black Panther” movies, which are in a class of their own, are steeped in Afrofuturism and postcolonial politics.
Consider another origin story, hitherto ignored. One late-summer weekend in 2003, a talent-agency executive named David Maisel was in his sweatpants, in the loft of his L.A. apartment. He had spent two years at the Endeavor agency, and he was contemplating his next move. But he didn’t want to remain an agent—he wanted to run a studio. “That’s when I thought, Hey, if I can get a movie I can believe in, and every movie after that one is a sequel or a quasi-sequel—the same characters show up—then it can go on forever,” he told me. “Because it’s not thirty new movies. It’s one movie and twenty-nine sequels. What we call a universe.” He eyed the Marvel comics on his bookshelves. This, Maisel claims, was the birth of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

... Without him, he said plainly, “the M.C.U. would never exist. It’s like a Thanos snap.” Near a plastic Thor hammer was a framed Times article from 2007, detailing Maisel’s plans for Marvel to release “10 self-financed films in the next five years.” Feige, Maisel noted, was not even mentioned. “Most people right now think Kevin started the studio,” he said. “They don’t know me at all.”
... Maisel became the chairman of Marvel Studios. He made Feige head of production.

To direct “Iron Man,” Marvel hired Jon Favreau, who was best known for the single-dude comedy “Swingers” and the Christmas hit “Elf.” The title role came down to Timothy Olyphant and Downey, who was in a career slump after years of drug arrests and rehab. “My board thought I was crazy to put the future of the company in the hands of an addict,” Maisel said. “I helped them understand how great he was for the role. We all had confidence that he was clean and would stay clean.” The movie, with a budget of a mere hundred and forty million dollars, relied less on spectacle than on Downey’s detached playfulness and his screwball-comedy chemistry with Paltrow. When Perlmutter visited the set, the producers had to hide the free snacks and drinks for the crew. Obsessively press-avoidant, he showed up at the première disguised in a hat and a fake mustache.

In early 2009, Maisel met with his former colleague Bob Iger, who had become the C.E.O. of Disney. Without consulting Perlmutter, Maisel suggested that Disney buy the newly ascendant Marvel. Perlmutter was assured that Disney would preserve Marvel’s corporate culture, as it had with Pixar, and that he would remain its chief executive. The acquisition was finalized on the last day of the year. Maisel resigned, fifty million dollars richer. “I wanted to leave and live a life—find a wife, which I still haven’t done,” he told me. He’d installed Feige as the studio’s president and figured that the franchise was in good hands, though he seems bewildered by how Feige’s contributions have eclipsed his own. “Kevin was a kid who I promoted, and I was his biggest fan,” Maisel said. “But Kevin wasn’t even in the room where it happened.” He’s currently planning a new universe of animated musicals based on Greek and Roman myths, starting with Justin Bieber as Cupid.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Benedict Cumberbatch Hints At Doctor Strange’s Marvel Return In New MCU Movie “Next Year”
By Armando Tinoco  July 4, 2023 
https://deadline.com/2023/07/benedict-cumberbatch-doctor-strange-marvel-return-mcu-movie-1235430108/ 

Benedict Cumberbatch is seemingly not done playing Doctor Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The actor recently hinted at his return in a new movie next year.

“There are some Marvel capers in the making next year,” Cumberbatch said while being a guest in the JW3 Speaker Series.

It’s not clear if Cumberbatch is referring to a standalone Doctor Strange sequel or if he’s making an appearance in another film of the MCU like Avengers: The Kang Dynasty, which was recently delayed.

Here's the video:
WATCH: Benedict Cumberbatch & Nick Hackworth - AH / JW3 Speaker Series
Alan Howard / JW3 Speaker Series    Jul 4, 2023

Edited by tv echo

I can't remember where I saw it, but I also read that 

Spoiler

Ben Affleck is reprising his Daredevil role

so it sounds like they're going to try to outdo The Flash in terms of callback cameos.

2 hours ago, WritinMan said:

Jennifer Garner is returning as Elektra in Deadpool 3.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/deadpool-3-jennifer-garner-returning-as-elektra-1235530539/

Huh.

I like Garner, and she's been great in some action roles (The Kingdom, Peppermint), but....huh.

I think it could work. I mean Deadpool is a comedy and there is lots of jokes to mine about the Elektra movie. Plus Garner has a pretty good sense of humour about that sort of thing and even though the movie was pretty bad, it's not like it was her that made it bad.

• Like 3
On 7/4/2023 at 8:17 AM, tv echo said:

How the Marvel Cinematic Universe Swallowed Hollywood
By Michael Schulman    June 5, 2023
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/06/12/how-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-swallowed-hollywood 

I didn't know about Maisel. Now I'm reading a Hollywood Reporter piece from 2016 which also talks about him.

As impressive as it was to move Marvel into producing its own movies, esp with the notoriously cheap Perlmutter in charge, as impressive as it was to line up financing that could get Iron Man funded, as important as it was to get Favreau and RDJ on Iron Man 1, Maisel left in 2009. Marvel's whole phase 1 (which lasted till 2012!) was a miracle as the rest of Hollywood kept thinking the superhero bubble was going to burst with each subsequent movie. Credit Maisel with Iron Man and Hulk, but I feel like Feige should get more credit than Maisel, because Feige's kept it going up till now.

• Like 1
On 7/8/2023 at 2:23 AM, arc said:

As impressive as it was to move Marvel into producing its own movies, esp with the notoriously cheap Perlmutter in charge, as impressive as it was to line up financing that could get Iron Man funded, as important as it was to get Favreau and RDJ on Iron Man 1, Maisel left in 2009. Marvel's whole phase 1 (which lasted till 2012!) was a miracle as the rest of Hollywood kept thinking the superhero bubble was going to burst with each subsequent movie. Credit Maisel with Iron Man and Hulk, but I feel like Feige should get more credit than Maisel, because Feige's kept it going up till now.

If Feige was really smart he would have passed the baton after Endgame.  The cracks are starting to show, so by sticking around the narrative is going to turn from him being the brilliant mind behind some of the most successful movies of all time to a talent-less hack who ruined a great thing.  Plus he'll retroactively lose any credit for the good stuff (he got lucky!). 

• Like 3
(edited)

The SDCC programming schedule has been posted (all times are PDT) - as expected, no big movie panels...

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OWtd/ninth-annual-musical-anatomy-of-a-superhero-film-and-tv-composer-panel 

Thursday, July 20 • 11:15am - 12:15pm

Ninth Annual Musical Anatomy of a Superhero: Film and TV Composer Panel
Moderated by Michael Giacchino (The Batman, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Thor: Love & Thunder), leading Hollywood composers Christophe Beck (Agatha: Coven of Chaos, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania), Laura Karpman (The Marvels, Ms. Marvel, What If . . . ?), Benjamin Wallfisch (The Flash, Shazam!), Christopher Lennertz (The Boys, Agent Carter), and David Russo (Gotham Knights, Pennyworth, Gotham) discuss the challenges of creating the musical landscape of the superhero genre. The composers explain the process through unreleased music and video clips from upcoming and recently released projects. Introductions by Ray Costa (producer, Costa Communications).

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OWwd/design-for-television-and-film-with-seven-leading-designers 

Thursday, July 20 • 2:00pm - 3:00pm

Design for Television and Film with Seven Leading Designers
Constantine Sekeris (Avengers, Avatar, Black Panther), Ian Joyner (Avengers, Avatar, Black Panther), RJ Palmer (Pokémon: Detective Pikachu, Saurian), Jerad Marantz (Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, Ant-Man), Luca Nemolato (Dungeons and Dragons, Jungle Cruise, The Shape of Water), Tully Summers (Avengers, Alita: Battle Angel, Avatar), and Shane Baxley (Transformers, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Captain Marvel) will share experiences and pearls of wisdom about some of your favorite films. Moderated by Neville Page (Avatar, Tron Legacy, Prometheus).

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OX5R/women-of-the-hollywood-art-department 

Friday, July 21 • 11:00am - 12:00pm

Women of the Hollywood Art Department
Explore the works and minds of several of the talented women and members of the Art Directors Guild who are responsible for dreaming, designing, and drawing some of the most memorable and immersive environments for film and TV. Panelists include Amelia Brooke (Everything Everywhere All a.t Once, Westworld), Danelle Davenport (Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, The Little Mermaid), Kelly Rae Hemenway (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Bullet Train), Rupali Ingle (Star Trek: Picard, Abbott Elementary), and Daniela Medeiros (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Thor: Ragnarok). Moderated by Kate Weddle (Yellowstone, WandaVision)

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OX7H/hasbro-toys-panel-for-marvel 

Friday, July 21 • 12:30pm - 1:30pm

Hasbro Toys Panel for Marvel
Dwight, Ryan, and Dan (Hasbro) plus Jesse (Marvel) share exciting news for Hasbro’s popular Marvel Legends product line. They will give a sneak peek of upcoming, never-before-seen items and hold a Q&A session for attendees.

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OkgM/women-of-the-hollywood-art-department 

Friday, July 21 • 12:30pm - 1:30pm

Women of the Hollywood Art Department
Amelia Brooke, art director (Everything Everywhere All At Once, Westworld), Danelle Davenport, storyboard artist (Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, The Little Mermaid), Kelly Rae Hemenway, graphic designer (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Bullet Train), Rupali Ingle, assistant art director (Star Trek: Picard, Abbott Elementary), Daniela Medeiros, set designer (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Thor: Ragnarok), Kate Weddle, art director/graphic designer (Yellowstone, WandaVision)

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OX94/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-the-art-department 

Friday, July 21 • 2:00pm - 3:00pm

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: The Art Department
Meet the artisans of the epic conclusion to the Guardians trilogy! The Art Department brought the latest saga to life across time and space over years of collaboration with visionary director James Gunn and Marvel Studios. From the grandeur of spaceships to a villain's geometric fortress, swimming through an endless planet of anatomy, or reconstructing a celestial body, this team transported the cast, crew, and audience into these fantastic worlds. Join them in a discussion about the development, process, and execution of the sets built for our heroes’ adventure. No task was too large and no detail too small for the crew who crafted galactic dreams into reality. Featuring IATSE Local 829 production designer Beth Mickle (The Suicide Squad, Drive) and IATSE Local 800/Art Directors Guild members: supervising art directors Alan Hook (Black Panther, Iron Man 3) and David Scott (Spider-Man: No Way Home, Avengers: Infinity War); art director Lorin Flemming (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Justice League); graphic designer Kelly Rae Hemenway (Bullet Train, Batman vs Superman); and set designer Tim Croshaw (Loki, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2). Moderated by Samantha Avila (Spiderman: No Way Home, Our Flag Means Death).

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OXA5/marvel-heroes-hulks-and-super-soldiers 

Friday, July 21 • 3:00pm - 4:00pm

Marvel: Heroes, Hulks, and Super-Soldiers
Marvel editor-in-chief C. B. Cebulski leads a panel featuring Marvel’s solo Super Hero series. J. Michael Straczynski takes Captain America to the streets of Manhattan, while Moon Knight roams the roads of Egyptian lore in David Pepose’s Moon Knight: City of the Dead. Meanwhile, the Hulk takes control of Bruce Banner as Phillip Kennedy Johnson continues his new Hulk run, and the hits coming in across the rest of the action-packed Marvel Universe. Be sure to stay until the end to find out what other heroes will be joining their ranks in their own new titles!

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OXC4/marvel-fanfare-with-c-b-cebulski 

Friday, July 21 • 4:15pm - 5:15pm

Marvel Fanfare with C. B. Cebulski
Marvel editors-in-chief reunite for a panel unlike any other! Listen in on a conversation about anything and everything you wanted to know about the House of Ideas when current head honcho C. B. Cebulski is joined by Marvel legend Joe Quesada. Never before has so much comic-making mastery been crammed into one panel! But that’s not all: Fans who stay until the end will receive an exclusive giveaway comic.

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OXMZ/marvel-next-big-thing 

Saturday, July 22 • 3:00pm - 4:00pm

Marvel: Next Big Thing
This is the place to be for announcements about the future of the Marvel Universe! Spider-Man’s never had it easy, but what’s coming for him next will shake the wallcrawler to his core. Plus: things are heating up for Guardians of the Galaxy in the throes of the catastrophic Grootfall. And just what is happening in Jonathan Hickman’s all-new Ultimate Universe? On hand to discuss all this and more are C. B. Cebulski (editor-in-chief), Nick Lowe (executive editor), Zeb Wells (Amazing Spider-Man), Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing (Guardians of the Galaxy), and others. Attendees will receive an exclusive giveaway!

Edited by tv echo
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

HOLY! SHIT!

image.thumb.jpeg.16023eeb55649328aad3b92dcbf419a6.jpeg

I never thought I'd see the day! Who would've guessed in 2000 when we got this

that we'd ever see him in the suit. All it took was a mere 23 years! 😁

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Heh he's wearing the suit! I hope he has the mask too 😁

No sign of one yet in other pics but I’d bet a large sum of money he’ll wear it. That will probably be filmed on a soundstage though.

image.jpeg.007612681a1e7b0a8391d773d44b31a5.jpeg

image.jpeg.4e58e426bb8b0ec16de0979bed53b5b6.jpeg

image.jpeg.940eb51d42b6a6c8e3cffa9df4d6f531.jpeg

I really can’t get over it, it’s actually happening! 😁

• Like 1
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

HOLY! SHIT!

image.thumb.jpeg.16023eeb55649328aad3b92dcbf419a6.jpeg

2 hours ago, BookEater said:

No sign of one yet in other pics but I’d bet a large sum of money he’ll wear it. That will probably be filmed on a soundstage though.

image.jpeg.007612681a1e7b0a8391d773d44b31a5.jpeg

image.jpeg.4e58e426bb8b0ec16de0979bed53b5b6.jpeg

image.jpeg.940eb51d42b6a6c8e3cffa9df4d6f531.jpeg

I really can’t get over it, it’s actually happening! 😁

I LOVE THIS!!!! I can't wait!!!!

Yellow spandex, indeed! 😅😝

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Robert Downey Jr.’s Post-Marvel Balancing Act
By David Marchese   July 10, 2023
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/07/09/magazine/robert-downey-jr-interview-oppenheimer.html 

... It has been an awfully long time since the 58-year-old has shown up in a big movie playing a major part that wasn’t Tony Stark (a.k.a. Iron Man) or other would-be franchise material. “You start to wonder,” says Downey, a rollicking and digressive talker, “if a muscle you have hasn’t atrophied.”
If there is, as you said, a battle going on for the soul of cinema, do you feel any ambivalence about having been such a key part of the Marvel movies, which pretty much ate Hollywood moviemaking? If you’re talking about, adjusted for inflation, the biggest movies of all time, “Gone With the Wind” and “The Ten Commandments” are there. I’m sure that in the years those movies came out, there were probably films that you and I would agree were a better representation of what cinema can be. I did not have the luxury of wondering what the longer-term repercussions of coming in as a second-tier superhero for something that was going to build out into a cinematic universe would be — and it didn’t matter, because I had a Super Bowl ring on each finger while this debate was being contested with much heat. The other side of it is that I was raised in a family... that rebelled against the idea of a summer blockbuster having any merit and thought that the films that were preferred viewing that year weren’t any good, either. So coming from that other place, entering the box-office-weekend-dominating place, then going into this spot now where I’m happy that I’m in this quality product — I’m happy that I regained my connection with a more purist approach to making movies.
In that decade-plus when you were mostly doing Marvel movies, did you have any concerns about what effect that might have on your acting? I say that as someone who thought you did amazing work with Tony Stark. But you did play the same role for a long time. Yes. A hundred percent, and I knew there was a point where Chris Nolan was endorsing, let’s work those other muscles, but let’s do it while rendering you devoid of your usual go-to things.
What are your go-to things? It’s the fast-talking, charming, unpredictable, blah, blah, blah, or as my very close friend Josh Richman, a character actor, used to say, I made my bones playing “Milo, the offbeat buddy.” And Milo, the offbeat buddy, better be offbeat! ....

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

Several MCU stars were at the TJH Superhero Comic Con & Car Show (in San Antonio, TX) last weekend...

Elizabeth Olsen Q&A at Superhero Car Show and Comic Con 7JUL2023
Tales From The Collection: Autographs & Fan Mail   Jul 7, 2023

Brie Larson Live Q&A at Superhero Car Show and Comic Con
Tales From The Collection: Autographs & Fan Mail   Jul 9, 2023

Hailee Steinfeld Live Q&A @ Superhero Car Show & Comic Con

Emilia Clarke & Kit Harrington Live Q&A @ Superhero Car Show and Comic Con

(edited)

Marvel ‘Diluted’ Audience’s ‘Focus and Attention’ by Making So Many Disney+ TV Shows, Says Bob Iger
By Zack Sharf   July 13, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/marvel-flops-too-many-disney-tv-shows-bob-iger-1235669262/ 

Disney CEO Bob Iger is citing the studio’s output increase for Disney+ as one reason for “some disappointments” as of late. Speaking to CNBC’s David Faber at the Sun Valley Conference, Iger admitted the studio screwed with audience expectations by offering up so much streaming content. The negative impact of that has been commercial disappointments in theaters, be it “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” not even reaching $500 million worldwide or disappointing openings for summer tentpoles “Elemental” and “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.”

“There have been some disappointments. We would have liked some of our more recent releases to perform better,” Iger said. “It’s reflective not as a problem from a personnel perspective, but I think in our zeal to basically grow our content significantly to serve mostly our streaming offerings, we ended up taxing our people way beyond — in terms of their time and their focus — way beyond where they had been.”

“Marvel’s a great example of that,” Iger added. “They had not been in the TV business at any significant level. Not only did they increase their movie output, but they ended up making a number of television series, and frankly, it diluted focus and attention. That is, I think, more of the cause than anything.”

Edited by tv echo

The company asked for this back when growing Disney Plus was the top priority. One SW show and one MCU show a year would never have gotten the subscriber base to where it is now. And then Marvel pulled itself in two directions, both saying you should watch all the shows and that the shows weren’t crucial to following the connected MCU story of the movies.

That said, even with Disney Plus upending priorities, even with Covid scrambling productions, it’s pretty clear Marvel never planned to do a full Avengers type movie to cap off Phase 4. Absolutely mystifying decision. Phase 1 was focused. Phase 2 was a bit of a mess — high quality overall, but it’s not like most of them felt like they were building towards Ultron. But it’s fine, just throw an Avengers movie to wrap up the phase.

The interconnectedness of the MCU felt sparse in phase 4, esp after phase 3 had two Avengers movies and a quasi-Avengers movie in Captain America 3. That’s not cause Marvel made too much stuff or even too many TV shows, but definitely too many without team-up projects that help focus attention.

• Like 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, arc said:

That said, even with Disney Plus upending priorities, even with Covid scrambling productions,

That seemed to mess things up a lot. Imagine how much better it would have been if The Marvel's came out shortly after Ms. Marvel and Wandavison came out. And I agree there is too much stuff. I mean I still watch pretty much everything but how important was say Moon Knight? I actually had to think for a minute to remember what that show was called. Or Werewolf by Night?

The increased number of movies and the importance on Disney+ I think hurts them in a different way too. When there were two Marvel movies a year they were a big deal. The first Guardians movie went from being a movie that seemed like a huge risk to the biggest movie that year. So excitement could build up and then people, if they missed it in theaters has to wait awhile to watch it on home video/ on demand (so excitement builds up again). Now with 4 movies a year coming out there isn't as much time for excitement to build. Plus you know if you miss GOTG3 in the theatre it will be on D+in a few months.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That seemed to mess things up a lot. Imagine how much better it would have been if The Marvel's came out shortly after Ms. Marvel and Wandavison came out. And I agree there is too much stuff. I mean I still watch pretty much everything but how important was say Moon Knight? I actually had to think for a minute to remember what that show was called. Or Werewolf by Night?

The increased number of movies and the importance on Disney+ I think hurts them in a different way too. When there were two Marvel movies a year they were a big deal. The first Guardians movie went from being a movie that seemed like a huge risk to the biggest movie that year. So excitement could build up and then people, if they missed it in theaters has to wait awhile to watch it on home video/ on demand (so excitement builds up again). Now with 4 movies a year coming out there isn't as much time for excitement to build. Plus you know if you miss GOTG3 in the theatre it will be on D+in a few months.

Yup, no matter how good the movies and TV shows are there's going to be a saturation point, and the MCU has passed it.  Slapping a Marvel label on something isn't enough to pull in a large audience on a streaming show, there has to be an established character (Wanda, Sam/Bucky, Fury) or big name actor.   I mean, is anyone going to care about the upcoming Echo show even with Daredevil and Kingpin popping up?

5 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Yup, no matter how good the movies and TV shows are there's going to be a saturation point, and the MCU has passed it.  Slapping a Marvel label on something isn't enough to pull in a large audience on a streaming show, there has to be an established character (Wanda, Sam/Bucky, Fury) or big name actor.   I mean, is anyone going to care about the upcoming Echo show even with Daredevil and Kingpin popping up?

I was thinking about how before the pandemic a lot of times I would see a lot of Marvel movies in the cheap second run theatre in my town (the seats were kind of crappy but it was cheap and the screen was a decent size). I saw GOTG2 there and I think Ant-Man and the Wasp and Thor Ragnarok there. But now Marvel movies show up on D+ around the same time they show up at that go to that theatre. So why would I bother even going there when I already have a Disney plus subscription?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, baldryanr said:

I mean, is anyone going to care about the upcoming Echo show even with Daredevil and Kingpin popping up?

I remember before Hawkeye was released, they had announced the Echo show because production was impressed with the actress/character. I tuned into Hawkeye expecting to be blown away by the character of Echo since she was getting her own show. I walked away from Hawkeye not caring much about Echo and wondering why out of all the characters in the MCU they decided she was the one that needed her own show.

13 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

And I agree there is too much stuff. I mean I still watch pretty much everything but how important was say Moon Knight? I actually had to think for a minute to remember what that show was called. Or Werewolf by Night?

I loved Moon Knight and would love a second season of it, and it wouldn't even bother me if he never appears in a movie. But I did skip Werewolf by Night because it seemed to be a stand-alone with no connection to the MCU that required my attention.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So why would I bother even going there when I already have a Disney plus subscription?

Fair, but then again, second run is a small, small part of box office revenue. I think studios/distributors take 90% of the ticket on first run films, and a much smaller cut on second run, which also has cheaper ticket prices.

It’s not just Disney/D+ and WB/Max. Even studios without major streaming services (wait, is that just Sony?) have movies come up on DVD or digital rent in a similar time frame. Uncharted was available digitally nine weeks after release, and on physical media about two more weeks after that. (Then on Netflix another three months after DVD.)

and even with short windows, GOTG3 did very well. 

19 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So why would I bother even going there when I already have a Disney plus subscription?

That’s exactly why Disney does that. By that point the Studio’s are already making very little on ticket sales. They have more to gain by putting the movies on D+ at that point.

On 7/15/2023 at 4:17 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

Yep. I think the problem is two-fold. Marvel/Disney under Chapek fell into the “if you build it, they will come” trap after Endgame and they failed to successfully adapt to a post-Covid world. Marvel, Disney animation, Pixar, Star Wars and Disney Parks are showing the same problem right now so I think the heart of the issue came from the very top. 

39 minutes ago, Dani said:

Yep. I think the problem is two-fold. Marvel/Disney under Chapek fell into the “if you build it, they will come” trap after Endgame and they failed to successfully adapt to a post-Covid world. Marvel, Disney animation, Pixar, Star Wars and Disney Parks are showing the same problem right now so I think the heart of the issue came from the very top. 

Iger's back in charge now but, I have no idea if that's good or bad, since Chapek was Iger's hand-picked replacement. 

Movie/TV wise I'm picking and choosing what I watch. I just hope they don't screw up X-Men and FF. I'm iffy on Deadpool since I really didn't like DP2 but, I'm sure I'll see it just for Jackman/Wolverine

4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Iger's back in charge now but, I have no idea if that's good or bad, since Chapek was Iger's hand-picked replacement. 

He successfully ran the company for 20 years so it’s definitely an improvement. Once he took over he began to address the oversaturation of the market but, given how many projects were already filmed by that point, it will take awhile before we see the impact.

Although it seems his handling of the the SAG and WGA strikes has the potential to really tarnish his reputation. 

The problem is more that everything has been a really mixed back lately...I really enjoyed Wandavision and Hawkeye and Ms Marvel once I got around to watch it past the first episode, but the other shows and most of the movies had a tendency to walk over characters I actually like and I didn't want to see treated that way. 

• Like 3
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Dani said:

He successfully ran the company for 20 years so it’s definitely an improvement. Once he took over he began to address the oversaturation of the market but, given how many projects were already filmed by that point, it will take awhile before we see the impact.

Although it seems his handling of the the SAG and WGA strikes has the potential to really tarnish his reputation. 

Yes, he did have a great 20 year run but, Chapek was picked by him, it does leave a question mark, IMO. Granted it is very common for new Leadership to toss out all previous plans in order to put their own stamp on things. So, it really might not have mattered of he picked Chapek to succeed him or if the Board did.

I do agree that he seems to have recognized some of the blatant issues and, it will take time to right the ship. His comments regarding the Strikes were rather tone deaf; which is why I'm still 🤷‍♀️ as to whether it's good or bad that they went back to Iger as opposed to moving forward with new blood.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This is the ONLY reason I’m watching! And for the “Yellow Spandex!”😂😂😂

It seems like fate was taunting us with those set photos only to have the filming hit pause for the strikes…

HOWEVER when the filming resumes once the writers and actors get their fair deal, I assume that’ll leave Ryan free to adlib some lines and hopefully he’ll take an opportunity to gloat over how The Flash made less than Green Lantern. Silver linings!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 5
On 7/14/2023 at 8:30 AM, tv echo said:

Marvel ‘Diluted’ Audience’s ‘Focus and Attention’ by Making So Many Disney+ TV Shows, Says Bob Iger
By Zack Sharf   July 13, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/marvel-flops-too-many-disney-tv-shows-bob-iger-1235669262/ 

TVLine ran this same story, but then edited it to clarify that Iger meant Marvel’s focus had been diluted, not the audience’s.

The eight live-action TV series that have rolled out on Disney+ since January 2021 “diluted focus” at Marvel and in turn played a role in waning theatrical performance, says Disney CEO Bob Iger.

“There have been some disappointments. We would have liked some of our more recent releases to perform better,” Iger said at this week’s annual Sun Valley Conference, a gathering of A-list execs from media and tech (per Variety). “I think in our zeal to basically grow our content significantly to serve mostly our streaming offerings, we ended up taxing our people way beyond — in terms of their time and their focus — way beyond where they had been.”

“Marvel’s a great example of that,” Iger continued in making his point. “They had not been in the TV business at any significant level. Not only did they increase their movie output, but they ended up making a number of television series, and frankly, it diluted focus and attention” at Marvel Studios. “That is, I think, more of the cause than anything.”

Note: A previous version of this story mistook Iger’s comment as saying consumer interest, not the focus of Marvel creatives, had been “diluted.”

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

TVLine ran this same story, but then edited it to clarify that Iger meant Marvel’s focus had been diluted, not the audience’s.

Or more like both. There's a lot out there competing for our attention, with more every day. If something doesn't grab us at first glance, if the reviews aren't stellar, then it's easy to pass something by in favour of other things.

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Or more like both. There's a lot out there competing for our attention, with more every day. If something doesn't grab us at first glance, if the reviews aren't stellar, then it's easy to pass something by in favour of other things.

There is also the flip side of that too. As there seem to be a limited number of good behind the scenes people out there as well. So when you are making twice as many movies plus shows that in some way are movie quality, you are more likely to have story issues or bad special effects. Like the effects in Quantumania I thought weren't very good and parts of the story didn't make sense.

17 hours ago, Dani said:

That’s exactly why Disney does that. By that point the Studio’s are already making very little on ticket sales. They have more to gain by putting the movies on D+ at that point.

I was just thinking from my point of view, if the movies were a bigger deal and didn't come out so frequently and then get moved over to D+ so quickly I probably would see them in theatres and maintain my subscription. Sure in some cases it might be the cheap theatres, but in some cases it would be the regular ones.

• Like 1
(edited)

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Vet Side-Eyes Disney CEO’s Slighting of Past Marvel Series
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH  JULY 14, 2023
https://tvline.com/news/agents-of-shield-clark-gregg-bob-iger-marvel-tv-slight-1235013141/ 

“Marvel’s a great example of that,” Iger continued. “They had not been in the TV business at any significant level.” (Emphasis ours.) “Not only did they increase their movie output, but they ended up making a number of television series, and frankly, it diluted focus and attention.”
All told, that’s 34 seasons of Marvel TV-produced shows that preceded WandaVision‘s January 2021 launch of Disney+’s Marvel Studios-produced, canonical projects.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Deadpool 3,’ ‘Mission: Impossible 8’ and ‘Venom 3’ Halted Amid Actors Strike
BY AARON COUCH, CAROLYN GIARDINA, BORYS KIT    JULY 14, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/movies-impacted-sag-actors-strike-1235535421/ 

The SAG-AFTRA stoppage comes two months after the writers strike hobbled the TV business and delayed multiple movies. Now the movie business stops as well, though studios are looking to move the ball forward with what they’ve already shot while making plans for resuming production down the road.

At Marvel Studios, which has multiple films and TV shows in post-production, that’s an ethos studio head Kevin Feige and co-president Louis D’Esposito shared in an email to staff Thursday.

“We recognize how much you’ve all done on your specific projects and it’s disappointing when carefully laid plans have to shift, but constant change is the nature of the production business, and our teams are no stranger to unexpected challenges and rising to meet them,” Feige and D’Esposito wrote. “We deeply appreciate all your efforts to make the best of the situation, and we can all hope that a new agreement will be finalized soon so we can resume the great work we have in process.”
One area where work can potentially continue is animation, particular for projects set to roll out in 2025 and beyond. As is common practice, animators could have people around their studio record temporary voices on upcoming projects to help inform the work, with SAG-AFTRA actors recording their lines at a later time. Animated features aiming for 2024 release, however, might be more likely to be at a point in the production where actors would be needed to record final dialogue. Movies slated for a 2024 release include Kung Fu Panda 4 (March 8), Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse on March 29 (though that was already likely to shift, even before the strike), Despicable Me 4 (July 3) and Transformers One (Sept. 13).

Focused on Marvel comics and videogames:
Marvel Returns to San Diego Comic-Con!
Marvel Entertainment   Jul 17, 2023

Edited by tv echo