Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Marvel Boss Kevin Feige Explains Why Phase 4 Projects Are So Different
By Klein Felt   June 6, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-phase-4-kevin-feige-different 

In the virtual press conference for the upcoming MCU streaming series Ms. Marvel, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige addressed the different directions/tones each Phase 4 project thus far has taken. 
"That's always the intention, is that the Marvel Studios logo doesn't promise a particular group of characters and a particular exact tone. It promises a spirit and a style and a vibe and an emotion, I hope. And it's perfect timing to go from Moon Knight to Ms. Marvel, specifically because they're so unique and so different with Multiverse of Madness and Love and Thunder on either end of that. That is what makes Marvel in publishing and now in the MCU so unique, is being able to see all of those different tones and styles and characters. So I like very much that people say, 'Look, they're all different.' Because that's how we always feel about them and always want them to feel."

Assembling the Universe: The Story of Avengers Campus at MCM Comic Con London
Marvel Entertainment   Jun 7, 2022

Watch Disney Imagineers as they unveil the stories and action-packed adventures of Avengers Campus opening July 20th 2022, at Disneyland Paris. Get an inside look at the epic locations and heroic encounters that await you there and prepare to be part of a bigger universe!

Edited by tv echo
44 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Does the MCU have enough villains for a Thunderbolts movie? They have a bad habit of dying.

It's so disappointingly wasteful and aggravating. A bunch of vanquished supervillains sitting in prison is such a resource to a superhero universe. How good would a Thunderbolts Killmonger be, for instance? Additionally I hate the messaging that the only way to deal with villains is to kill them.

That said, no one really stays dead in a superhero universe.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

It's so disappointingly wasteful and aggravating. A bunch of vanquished supervillains sitting in prison is such a resource to a superhero universe. How good would a Thunderbolts Killmonger be, for instance? Additionally I hate the messaging that the only way to deal with villains is to kill them.

That said, no one really stays dead in a superhero universe.

Did Agents of Shield kill off their villains? There's some possible recruiting grounds.

4 hours ago, Anduin said:

Did Agents of Shield kill off their villains? There's some possible recruiting grounds.

Of the comics legacy characters some Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D agents, some minor Inhumans the Robby Reyes Ghost Rider enemies and Graviton. Then characters who have had different human host. So an AoS version of Deathlok, John Garrett killed, with their main one Mike Peterson, surviving for an example

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Raja said:

Of the comics legacy characters some Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D agents, some minor Inhumans the Robby Reyes Ghost Rider enemies and Graviton. Then characters who have had different human host. So an AoS version of Deathlok, John Garrett killed, with their main one Mike Peterson, surviving for an example

So there's a chance. But you don't want the TV-exclusive characters in a movie. You'd waste half the screen time on exposition. Bit of a tricky one for Marvel.

(edited)

This THR Drama Actor Emmy Roundtable included Marvel stars, Samuel L. Jackson, Tom Hiddleston and Oscar Isaac (it's a lengthy article, I only quoted a few portions)...

“You Went to Therapy for That?”: Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Keaton, Oscar Isaac and the THR Drama Actor Roundtable
BY LACEY ROSE    JUNE 8, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/samuel-l-jackson-oscar-isaac-drama-actor-roundtable-1235160180/

Do the rest of you remember the project from which you went from anonymous to recognizable, and were you prepared for it?
HIDDLESTON
For me, all the answers so far are Loki. That’s what people come up to me in the street and [reference], and absolutely that was the thing that changed everything.
Looking back, what felt, at the time, like the biggest risk?
ISAAC
Moon Knight felt that way. Like, “Man, I’m going to go down hard with this thing.” Just the level of embarrassment that it would be, once you throw on a cape, you know what I mean? And you’re out in front of it. It’s like, “Holy shit, I’m really doing this thing.”
JACKSON Oh, it’s little to do with any of us. I was talking to Tom about that very same thing. When I signed that nine-picture deal to be Nick Fury, it was like, “How long do I got to stay alive to do nine pictures?” Not knowing they were going to make nine pictures in, like, a year and a half. But when you pick a path or you find a way to get into these franchise things that are huge successes, they give you the opportunity to do these other things that give you that artistic satisfaction while you’re doing that movie-star satisfaction thing, the big check, the take-care-of-the-family, the I-can-take-some-time-off-and-chill.
Between Loki and the upcoming Nick Fury series Secret Invasion, Tom and Sam, you’ve both gotten those Marvel calls. Did either of you have any of the same hesitation as Oscar? And what were you excited to explore with a show that you couldn’t do in the films?
JACKSON
Well, I can have a whole life as Nick Fury that’s not Nick Fury at work. You know, we get to go home with me and see what happens with me at home or when I’m alone or when I’m not so strong and Nick Fury, or when I take off a back brace because Nick Fury is old. (Laughs.) Some things that you can do that you can’t normally do [in the films] because the character has to present this (trumpeting heroically) duh-dunna-duh kind of front, and that’s what the movies are for. And when you get to do it in longform, you get to show even superheroes have their down moments.
JACKSON A down moment for you is an up moment. But all those things are there and you have an opportunity to do it, and they give you that leeway to feel your way into that. Once they see you and know who you are, that gives everybody an opportunity to come and bring a personality. That was the thing about the Avengers movies, they all had different personalities and they were able to blossom once we got through the initial film. The initial film was to introduce these people to who they are and these are the things they can do. Now, this is how they interact and they’re not all nice. And I fussed at them, I still fuss at them, about Civil War because I’m like, “How could the kids fight and Nick Fury not show up?” Like, “What’s going on here? Everybody go to your room.” But they didn’t need me for that. They did, but they didn’t.

HIDDLESTON Loki wasn’t in that one, either.
Tom, I wanted to get back to the original question about your comfort level when Marvel approached you about making a Loki series. What assurances did you need?
HIDDLESTON
Having played Loki for six movies, doing the show, it was a risk in a way, like what you (to Isaac) were saying. I was like, “I just don’t want to break it.” But also, there was this extraordinary opportunity to break him open, take him away from all the things that people knew he was associated with, away from his brother, away from his father, away from his home, and put him through this kind of Kafkaesque nightmare where he’s confronted with all his cycles of terrible, destructive behavior. And to show this very together, controlled character who’s always thinking 10 steps ahead as completely vulnerable and full of doubt, and then build him back up through the story, was an amazing gift.
HIDDLESTON If you stood outside it for too long and thought about what it looks like in the world, I find it just too terrifying. You just ground it in what you know. So, when I first started playing Loki, I was like, “OK, he’s a son. I know what that is. He’s a brother. I know what that is. He’s got all this internal kind of pain but he’s masking it with something. I know what that is.” You find your own way through it. You build the mask, as it were, and then you fill the mask with life.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

FYI...

JUST ANNOUNCED: The Biggest Presentations at D23 Expo 2022
By the D23 Team   June 9, 2022 
https://d23.com/find-out-the-biggest-presentations-at-d23-expo-2022/

Saturday, September 10
Filmmakers, celebrity talent, and surprise guests will join representatives from Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm, among others, onstage in Hall D23 at 10 a.m. to showcase theatrical and Disney+ titles. Going behind the scenes of these studios’ highly anticipated films, specials, and series, attendees will see exclusive footage and be among the first to learn what else is in the works.

There are easily enough villains for a Thunderbolts movie...there are Zemo, US-Agent, Yelena and Abomination as  obvious candidates, plus potentially characters like Echo, Mordo aso to pad out the ranks if needed. 

• Love 2

A little baffled about how they're going to pull this off without William Hurt's Ross. Are they just going to recast him or kill off Ross (yay) and just have Valentina be in charge? Although the fact that they're naming the group after him leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Maybe they just say that it was originally his plan and hence it is named after him. Or they find another explanation for the name. Frankly, Ross isn't really that important, especially since they need to find a different hook for the Thunderbolts anyway. 

I hope they'll introduce Songbird. 

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

A little baffled about how they're going to pull this off without William Hurt's Ross. Are they just going to recast him or kill off Ross (yay) and just have Valentina be in charge? Although the fact that they're naming the group after him leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

He is a politician in the MCU, even if best known by the viewers as getting in the Avengers way he is still a high government official on "the people's side" as opposed to say Thanos. It would be little different than naming a ship after someone that 46% did not vote for

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Are the Thunderbolts in the comics named after Ross? I only ever read a handful of issues which were the ones where Hawkeye was the leader. But if they wanted to do it that way they could easily do it as an ironic thing where they are trying to come up with a name, see a story about him on TV and decide to go with Thunderbolts as a joke.

Chris Evans Says Captain America Return "Would Be A Tall Order" (Exclusive)
By BRANDON DAVIS - June 10, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/chris-evans-captain-america-4-marvel-return-comment/ 

A popular conversation among Marvel fans centers around seeing Captain America return the six Infinity Stones, a sequence which took place off-screen at the end of Avengers: Endgame. "That seems to be something people would like to see," Evans said. However, he is not exactly eager to jump back into the role despite the fan demand. "I don't want to disappoint anybody but it's tough to... It was such a good run and I'm so happy with it," Evans said. "It's so precious to me. It would have to be perfect. It just would be scary to rattle something that is, again, so, so dear to me. That role means so much to me. So, to revisit it, it would be a tall order."

Is Moon Knight supposed to be good? I've watched the first two episodes and I fucking hate it. It manages to be both boring and incredibly irritating at once, and this is the first thing I've ever watched where I really cannot stand Oscar Isaac.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Technically Hurt was the recast, since Sam Elliot played Ross back in 2003. If they wanted to take a different route, they could always bring back Liv Tyler and Betty, at least if she hasn't been completely forgotten. I would be down for this just for the potential of Yelena rolling her eyes at John Walker and calling him a poser.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Are the Thunderbolts in the comics named after Ross? I only ever read a handful of issues which were the ones where Hawkeye was the leader. But if they wanted to do it that way they could easily do it as an ironic thing where they are trying to come up with a name, see a story about him on TV and decide to go with Thunderbolts as a joke.

No. They were named by Baron Zemo. It's a Nazi thing, though the rest of the team didn't realise it at the time.

• Useful 2
7 hours ago, swanpride said:

There are easily enough villains for a Thunderbolts movie...there are Zemo, US-Agent, Yelena and Abomination as  obvious candidates, plus potentially characters like Echo, Mordo aso to pad out the ranks if needed. 

In addition Justin Hammer (possible MCU Mach-1?), Red Skull, Samuel Sterns/Leader from the Hulk film, Foster and Ghost from Ant Man 2 are out there.

I also assume that they'll introduce a classic Thunderbolts character or two like Moonstone or Songbird in the film.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Perfect Xero said:

I also assume that they'll introduce a classic Thunderbolts character or two like Moonstone or Songbird in the film.

It was only speculation but there was a lot of talk about Moonstone being the villain in The Marvels. Thunderbolts happening may give that rumor more credence. 

Edited by Guest
😳I knew it was thunderbolts and have no clue why I typed thundercats. 🫣🤦🏽‍♀️
2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Technically Hurt was the recast, since Sam Elliot played Ross back in 2003. If they wanted to take a different route, they could always bring back Liv Tyler and Betty, at least if she hasn't been completely forgotten. I would be down for this just for the potential of Yelena rolling her eyes at John Walker and calling him a poser.

🤓

I call a technicality on your technicality since the 2003 movie wasn't part of the Infinity Saga/MCU continuity. It is now multiverse consideration, but only the 2008 Incredible Hulk  counts as the original they had to change to put the Hulk into Marvel's The Avengers

• Useful 1
On 6/9/2022 at 7:21 PM, Fukui San said:

How good would a Thunderbolts Killmonger be, for instance?

Not, since Killmonger choosing to die at the end of Black Panther leant it much of its impact.

One of the advantages of the MCU is that unlike the comics they don't have to keep every single plate spinning indefinitely, things can have an ending.

• Love 5

Variety's Actors on Actors video interviews recently featured two more MCU actors...

Jennifer Aniston & Sebastian Stan | Actors on Actors - Full Conversation
Variety   Jun 9, 2022

Tom Hiddleston & Lily James | Actors on Actors - Full Conversation
Variety   Jun 11, 2022

• Love 1
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

Variety's Actors on Actors video interviews recently featured two more MCU actors...

Jennifer Aniston & Sebastian Stan | Actors on Actors - Full Conversation
Variety   Jun 9, 2022

Tom Hiddleston & Lily James | Actors on Actors - Full Conversation
Variety   Jun 11, 2022

And there is this one posted yesterday. 

On 6/10/2022 at 8:03 AM, tv echo said:

This THR Drama Actor Emmy Roundtable included Marvel stars, Samuel L. Jackson, Tom Hiddleston and Oscar Isaac (it's a lengthy article, I only quoted a few portions)...

“You Went to Therapy for That?”: Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Keaton, Oscar Isaac and the THR Drama Actor Roundtable
BY LACEY ROSE    JUNE 8, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/samuel-l-jackson-oscar-isaac-drama-actor-roundtable-1235160180/

And here's video of this roundtable...

TV Drama Actor Roundtable: Brian Cox, Oscar Isaac, Michael Keaton, Samuel L Jackson & More
The Hollywood Reporter   Jun 8, 2022

• Love 1

Josh Brolin & Josh Brolin | Actors on Actors - Full Conversation
Variety   Jun 13, 2022

When Josh Brolin finds out his Actors on Actors conversation partner Jeremy Renner missed his flight to the shoot... he improvises. Topics include: his new show on Prime called 'Outer Range,' playing Thanos and of course his cute little kids.

8 hours ago, BetterButter said:

This could be fun, especially if they just went with a drama about an A list Hollywood actor who also has super powers and can't be killed (without doing and super hero vs villain stuff).

Also once we have Wonder Man it just means that Marvel only needs to add Tigra and they have all the original West Coast Avengers.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sam Elliot was far better as Ross. If they wanted to bring him back to the role and he was interested, that would be awesome. 

I guess a spoiler for those who haven't watched the Marvel Netflix series...

Spoiler

I always thought Trish Walker from Jessica Jones would be a good candidate for The Thunderbolts.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
(edited)

Chris Evans Would 'Love' to Play Fantastic Four Role In the MCU
By Richard Nebens   June 17, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/chris-evans-mcu-fantastic-four-role 

Speaking with MTV News' Josh Horowitz, former MCU star Chris Evans expressed his desire to reprise his role as Johnny Storm from Fox's Fantastic Four movies, which were released in 2005 and 2007.
Horowitz: “Look, I mean, you can’t top how you went out as Cap, and it’s gonna take the right thing eventually. Maybe, who knows. But here’s my question. There were a lot of rumors that you could come back in the Multiverse as another Marvel character you played, Johnny Storm. Did they ever come to you?”
Evans: “God, wouldn’t that be great? Wouldn’t that be great?”

Horowitz: “Would that have intrigued you?”
Evans: “No, no one’s ever come to me about that. I mean, I don’t exactly look the same anymore. That was 15, almost 20 years ago. Oh my God, I’m old. But I really love that character, but I think… aren’t they doing something now with Fantastic Four?”

Horowitz: “Well, they are, but as you well know, in the Multiverse, all bets [are off]… you can have six different Johnny Storms.”
Evans: “Yeah, I guess that’s true. I mean, I guess all bets are off. Yeah. Look, I would love it. I would love it. That would actually be an easier sell to me than coming back as Cap. You know what I mean? Cap is so precious to me. And you know, I almost don’t wanna disrupt what a beautiful experience that was. But Johnny Storm, I feel like he didn’t really get his day. That was before Marvel really found its footing. So I loved that role and, you know, who knows.”

The above article was reporting on the video interview posted below - also from this interview...

-- On whether there were other versions of the "Avengers, assemble" line in Endgame, Chris Evans: "It almost feels like it should be shouted. And I was gonna shout the first take. And then it just felt like, you know - it almost feels like I knew what the camera was doing, and you know that people are waiting for it. And it almost felt like a nice juxtaposition to almost, you know, go underneath it, and then have everyone around me scream. And we tried that the first take. And then the Russos just said, 'That's it... Don't even do the screaming one.' And I actually don't know if we ever even tried it. I mean, I obviously tried it at my home the night before. And again, it could have worked. It could have worked. But I like the fact that it, you know - you almost have to lean in to hear it... And I really love that, right when I say it, Hemsworth just lets out that, you know, primal roar... It would've been strange if I had screamed and then everyone screamed. It almost felt better, kinda being more steely."

Chris Evans on “Lightyear”, Anxiety, & The MCU 🧑‍🚀 MTV News
MTV News   Jun 17, 2022

Chris Evans sits down with Josh Horowitz to talk about 'Lightyear,' which role would bring him back to the MCU, the Mackie/Sebastian Stan texting war, how he thinks about posting his audition tape for Little Shop of Horrors, how he wants to be in Star Wars AND how to cure your anxiety so cancel your therapy session this week and just watch this!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Kevin Feige says we’ll hear more about Marvel’s next big saga "in the coming months"
By Matt Maytum Contributions from Bradley Russell     June 20, 2022
https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/kevin-feige-next-saga-marvel-comments/ 

But Kevin Feige has a plan. He always does. As part of the new Total Film cover feature on Thor: Love and Thunder, the Marvel Studios president has teased that some answers are coming sooner rather than later.

"As we’re nearing the end of Phase 4, I think people will start to see where this next saga is going," confides Feige in the new issue, which hits shelves on June 23. 

"I think there have been many clues already, that are at least apparent to me, of where this whole saga is going. But we’ll be a little more direct about that in the coming months, to set a plan, so audiences who want to see the bigger picture can see a tiny, tiny, tiny bit more of the roadmap."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 6/10/2022 at 1:51 PM, Danny Franks said:

Is Moon Knight supposed to be good? I've watched the first two episodes and I fucking hate it. It manages to be both boring and incredibly irritating at once, and this is the first thing I've ever watched where I really cannot stand Oscar Isaac.

Then you watched the two best episodes.

Move on and consider watching paint dry or grass grow.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Dani said:

This. Bruce only spent a brief amount of time with her (Wanda) after Vision was created in Age of Ultron and flying to Wakanda in Infinity War.

Even in that case, I'm trying to remember now if Banner interacted with Loki one-on-one during Ragnarok, or if he was only in scenes with Thor and Valkyrie. Not even in a friendly way, but at all, since Loki was actively thinking he would need to leave Sakaar when he saw the Hulk in the Grandmaster's arena getting ready to fight Thor. How long had it been since Hulk used him to remodel the floor at Stark Towers by then, and he was more than half convinced he'd need to run for his life? It's late and I don't have time to rewatch the movie now.

I would add that I didn't mean to imply that either Bruce or Carol were particularly friendly with Wanda. The point I was badly trying to make is that Wanda spends most of her tenure in the franchise going from one trauma to another, and when she turns to ash in Infinity War she was clearly relieved for it to be over. Only then she gets brought back, and is pretty summarily abandoned once Tony's funeral is over. If the only reason no one reached out to her other than Clint, who is the last person to have a sane conversation with her, is that they're not pals, that's kinda not cool. Not when they'd lived through quite a few of those traumas with her, like Thanos.

• Love 1

Yeah, you’d think their first post-Endgame priority would be helping out their un-snapped teammates adjust back to life and help them deal with their trauma and grief. You’d think Wanda would be at the top of this list after the Civil War mess; Steve was the one who had Clint break her out just to help save Bucky, and busted her and the others out of the brig later. But after Thanos, he couldn’t even be bothered to make sure Vision had a decent funeral?

This just makes me gladder that Scarlet Witch split Captain Peggy in half with her own shield.

• Love 3

To be fair: Peter, Carol and a lot of the other "new heroes" don't even know Wanda, and Thor had maybe a short encounter with her before f... off after Age of Ultron, plus, he isn't even on earth currently, and Strange doesn't really know her either. In the circle of the Avengers, the ones who should be the closest to her are mostly dead...the only ones left are Clint, Sam, Rhodey and Bucky. And at least Bucky has his own demons to deal with. 

• Like 2

I think I cast my most baleful eye on Sam. He was on the run with Wanda at least loosely from Civil War to Infinity War, has actual training as a trauma counselor, and hadn't lived for 5 years as a murder hobo like Clint (who was obviously the closest to Wanda after Vision was destroyed, but I'm not so sure he would have been any help given his own mental state).

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I think I cast my most baleful eye on Sam. He was on the run with Wanda at least loosely from Civil War to Infinity War, has actual training as a trauma counselor, and hadn't lived for 5 years as a murder hobo like Clint (who was obviously the closest to Wanda after Vision was destroyed, but I'm not so sure he would have been any help given his own mental state).

The Murder Hobos is now the name of my new band.  So thank you for that.  We'll send a royalty check.  

• LOL 4