Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, tv echo said:

Paul Verhoeven Slams Marvel, Modern Bond Films as 'Sexless'
BY JON ARVEDON   APRIL 12, 2022
https://www.cbr.com/paul-verhoeven-slams-marvel-james-bond-romance/ 

I agree with the director. In effect stripping the sex from a Black Widow just makes her another soldier. Going from to infiltrators Dottie of Agent Carter to Natasha of Iron Man 2 and the Avengers in an attempt to strip the "male gaze" we ended up with just another tactical team, only they didn't wear helmets so that you see she was a woman. So why no Clint Barton's as a Russian widow given what the later MCU movies gave us?

We also lost the Black Widow wrestling inspired moves in contrast to the S.H.I.E.L.D. more power based moves of their Mockingbirds, Peggy Carter,  Bobbi Morrison and Melinda May.

---there is a difference between making Black Widow "unsexy" and just toning down the male gaze. The difference is basically Black Widow in Ironman 2 and The Avengers (more so in the former) and her in The Winter Soldier. Or, to put it differently, Natasha is more than just a honey trap. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Also, when they put the sex back in a Marvel movie (Eternals) it definitely did not improve the film, and they might as well not have bothered. Not something I ever expected to find myself saying about a Richard Madden love scene.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, swanpride said:

Or, to put it differently, Natasha is more than just a honey trap. 

I don't think anyone's disagreeing with that. I would argue that the exploitative angle of it, especially with guys like Dreykov, would be more in keeping with 'the male gaze is evil because men are pigs who should rot in hell' that seems to be the correct way to look at it. It also does not escape my attention that a fan favorite like Loki could call Nat a mewling quim and still be a darling among the fandom. Joss Whedon, blah blah, fine, but the character who actually said what he wrote barely got so much as a side-eye from the people who saw the movie. When we're not even consistent in our outrage, it's less about Natasha than you'd think.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I would argue that the exploitative angle of it, especially with guys like Dreykov, would be more in keeping with 'the male gaze is evil because men are pigs who should rot in hell' that seems to be the correct way to look at it.

Who’s saying that is the correct way to look at it? 

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

It also does not escape my attention that a fan favorite like Loki could call Nat a mewling quim and still be a darling among the fandom. Joss Whedon, blah blah, fine, but the character who actually said what he wrote barely got so much as a side-eye from the people who saw the movie. When we're not even consistent in our outrage, it's less about Natasha than you'd think.

That barely got a side-eye because most of the audience had no clue what it meant. It they used the US version it would have gotten a strong reaction. By the time most people realized what it meant it was clear that it was more about Whedon than Loki. 

I mean, Verhoeven is right to say the Marvel movies are sexless (not so sure about Bond. The last one I watched had him having sex with a woman young enough to be his daughter) but... what would be improved by putting sex in them?

Yes, the 80s and 90s action movie genre often had a sex scene thrown in, but that seems to have died out in the last couple of decades. Is that a good thing? Well on the one hand, if the scenes were gratuitous you have to ask whether they were in good taste but, on the other hand, I do think that sterilisation of cinema that extends only to sex, while allowing all the violence anyone could want to see, is an issue.

In the case of Black Widow, the movie wouldn't have been improved by making Nat and Yelena more like sexy, femme fatale characters, it would have been improved by making them actual spies rather than superheroes without powers.

The subtext of trafficking and controlling young women is way too heavy for the big screen MCU to touch, and would be really out of place in the world they've created. These are popcorn movies, however people want to dress them up. They're made for entertainment, not to get the audience to think about serious subjects.

Perhaps Marvel and Disney embracing the Netflix shows is a sign that they're prepared to have a more adult, gritty branch of the MCU, and perhaps we could get a sort of Marvel Max show featuring Yelena or some other characters. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Disney seem to be twisting themselves in knots trying to avoid offending anyone, which usually ends up offending everyone.

• Love 4

Aside from most people not knowing what a mewling quim actually is, there is a difference between what Loki says and what he actually thinks. Loki might love to go for the kill, but it is actually pretty clear that he respects Natasha as an opponent (as much as he is able to respect any human, that is, which isn't admittingly not a lot), or he wouldn't have bothered to attack her that vicious in the first place. Not to mention that the encounter ends with Natasha actually tricking the trickster. Plus, Loki is a villain anyway. There are different standards for him. 

In addition, there really is a difference between what happens to be part of the story and what is entirely unnecessary. Like, Natasha changing on the back of Happy's car - completely unnecessary. Natasha being underestimated again and again because she is a women - right in line with the story. 

• Love 5

Russell Bobbitt talked about designing and creating the following MCU movie props: Tony Stark's arc reactor (and working with RDJ), Cap's shield, Peter Quill's headset, the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos' blade, the Darkhold book, Spider-Man's pumpkin bombs, and other props...

Creating The MCU With Prop Master Russell Bobbitt | Phase Zero Bonus Episode 9
Phase Zero   Apr 15, 2022

Edited by tv echo
On 4/12/2022 at 8:24 PM, ursula said:

Just checked IMDB and she only has Dune part 2. Maybe Euphoria 3 next year but it's not even certain she'll be in it, and Jacob has no future projects. Fingers crossed that Disney/Sony make this happen.

Why would she not be in Euphoria's third season? That whole show is about her.

She has more stuff going on than just Dune; among other things, she's developing a biopic of Ronnie Spector.

Zendaya strikes me as being one of those actors who isn't really interested in anything outside of the main film series (see also, Lupita Nyong'o, conspicuously absent in scenes in Wakanda since Black Panther).

On 4/14/2022 at 2:21 AM, Danny Franks said:

I mean, Verhoeven is right to say the Marvel movies are sexless (not so sure about Bond. The last one I watched had him having sex with a woman young enough to be his daughter) but... what would be improved by putting sex in them?

I would say that sex and romance more generally are a big part of many of the comics that the movies are based on and that the characters as a whole would be richer if those elements were included.

• Love 1

Watch: Marvel Netflix & Agents of SHIELD Actors Team Up for New Promo
By Russ Milheim   April 16, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-netflix-agents-of-shield-actors-team-up-watch

A new TikTok from Disney+ has been released that promotes the arrival of the Netflix Marvel series and Agents of SHIELD to Disney's streaming service. Alongside actors from other shows like Agents of SHIELD, Several Marvel's The Defenders cast members teamed together with Agents of SHIELD stars Clark Gregg and Ming-Na Wen to create a promo that lets everyone know where to watch their former shows.

The video in question adapted the “pass the phone” format, which has become popular on social media. It all started with Simone Missick, who played Misty Knight in Luke Cage. The actress called out “the person whose life goal is to give Matt Murdock a hard time.”

From there it went to Jessica Jones' Krysten Ritter, who promptly threw it to “someone who is driven to their pursuit of truth and justice.” Surprisingly, this led to Iron Fist's Finn Jones, who chose to hand it off to Clark Gregg while referencing some of the character’s Kree-craziness on SHIELD.

Gregg took the opportunity to pass the mic over to “his favorite superhero,” which in this case was none other than Charlie Cox.

The Daredevil actor passed the torch one final time, his pick being “someone who is a force to be reckoned with.”

This, of course, meant Ming-Na Wen, who played Agent Melinda May in Agents of SHIELD. Wen was also recently as Fennec Shand in The Book of Boba Fett.

Watch TikTok video here:

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, SeanC said:

Why would she not be in Euphoria's third season? That whole show is about her.

She has more stuff going on than just Dune; among other things, she's developing a biopic of Ronnie Spector.

Zendaya strikes me as being one of those actors who isn't really interested in anything outside of the main film series (see also, Lupita Nyong'o, conspicuously absent in scenes in Wakanda since Black Panther).

Rue's story is wrapped up. They can write Z out so she can concentrate on movies, which has always been her main goal. The biopic is still TBA. Just like Tom Holland's Fred Astaire project. They're basically on the same level in terms of developing projects so if he can make time for Spidey, so can Z.

Z and Lupita weren't asked to cameo in other MCU films. During the Spidey promo, Tom and Z talked about doing an MJ series like Daredevil. 

Edited by ursula
2 hours ago, ursula said:

Rue's story is wrapped up.

No? It reached a seasonal endpoint, teasing future developments. The whole show is about Rue, she's going to be in the next season. That isn't even in question.

11 hours ago, SeanC said:

No? It reached a seasonal endpoint, teasing future developments. The whole show is about Rue, she's going to be in the next season. That isn't even in question.

What future developments were teased? Rue ended the season sober for the rest of the school year. Her relationship with Jules is over, and she let go of any bitterness she'd felt about it. Her two main arcs - addiction and Rules - concluded. The last we see of her is her walking into the metaphorical future with a big smile on her face. Actors have left shows with less finality.

I watched the Thor trailer. As trailers go, it wasn't as terrible as Ragnarok. I couldn't even finish watching the Ragnarok trailer, it was so bad. There were some moments I actually liked. Will I go see it? God no. You'd have to pay me. Despite the trailer being almost good, that doesn't mean the movie will be.

I like vikings, I like the MCU, I like Thor comics. I'm a parochial Australian. With all that, I should love the Thor movies. But I hate them. Many people claim the first movie was good. I saw it opening day. And once or twice at home. No, I found it terrible every time.

Dark World was actually a little less bad, despite being at the low point for villains. The Earth scenes were all right. However, Asgard looked incredibly fake. I've heard it said that the design was based on Kirby's art. Sometimes what looks good on the page doesn't translate well to the screen.

From what I saw of Ragnarok, it doubled down on everything I hated about the previous movies. The whole live-action cartoon element. It rubs me the wrong way. And Chris Hemsworth's accent has begun to grate. L&T isn't even trying to appeal to me. I'll save my time and money.

Despite the headline's focus on WandaVision, this article is really about the new, upgraded version of the traveling MCU exhibition in general...

New Marvel Exhibit Brings WandaVision to Real Life
By Russ Milheim   Apr 19, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-wandavision-exhibit 

The launch of a brand-new Marvel Cinematic Universe experience was just announced: Marvel Avengers S.T.A.T.I.O.N.: Evolution.

The original version of this was coined as MARVEL AVENGERS S.T.A.T.I.O.N., with the facility having made its debut in New York City in July 2014. The immersive showcase included locations, technology, props, and costumes from across the Infinity Saga for fans to interact with and see in person. The program went on to showcase its exhibit in 25 cities across 13 countries.

Now the entire exhibit has been upgraded to reflect key moments from all four phases of the MCU, including events from WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Black Widow, and more recent projects.

The exhibition consists of seven different segments for attendees to go through and become immersed in the rich world that Marvel Studios has created. The very first EVOLUTION upgraded location will open this Summer in Texas, at the Granscape in The Colony, just north of Downtown Dallas.

MRVL_AVENGERS_Key_Art_for_PR.jpg

Edited by tv echo

Also includes interesting back story about MCU's talks with Patty Jenkins to direct Thor: The Dark World...

The MCU broke up with Natalie Portman, but Taika Waititi won her back
By Susana Polo      Apr 19, 2022,
https://www.polygon.com/23031910/natalie-portman-new-thor-movie-buff-biceps 

Reportedly, Portman’s first attempts to extricate herself from the Marvel Cinematic Universe began during the first stages of producing a sequel to Thor, when she was considering a several-year break from acting to spend more time with her first child, born in 2011. According to industry reporting at the time, Marvel sweetened the deal by including Portman — already a director with aspirations to do more — in the process of choosing the film’s director.

That year, Marvel entered into talks with Patty Jenkins, and closed on a deal that would have made the Monster director the first woman to direct a Marvel Cinematic Universe film. And Portman — an activist, an advocate for increased diversity in Hollywood, and a woman who had spoken publicly and eloquently on the ways in which female characters are boxed in by male-dominated cinema — was energized by helping bring about that first.

But only a few months later, Marvel and Jenkins parted ways, citing “creative differences” even though the project had yet to settle on a script. Marvel replaced Jenkins — who would go on to plant her flag in the realm of cinematic superheroes with the hugely successful Wonder Woman — with Alan Taylor (Terminator Genisys).

It would take another six years for Anna Boden to become the first woman to co-direct an MCU film (Captain Marvel) and eight for Cate Shortland to become the first woman to be the sole director on a MCU film with Black Widow. If Jenkins had gotten the job, she would still — and for the foreseeable future — be the only woman to direct a Marvel Cinematic Universe film about a male superhero.

In 2016, with Thor: Ragnarok a couple months into principle photography, Portman told the Wall Street Journal that Marvel had no plans that she was aware of to use her character again. “As far as I know I’m done. I mean, I don’t know if maybe one day they’ll ask for an ‘Avengers 7,’ I have no idea. But as far as I know I’m done; it was a great thing to be a part of.”
Her return appears to be due to the deliberate work of director Taika Waititi. Unlike Ragnarok, which was scripted by a trio of Marvel Studios’ stable writers before it entered its directorial search, Love & Thunder’s story comes straight from Waititi and Jennifer Kaytin Robinson (Sweet/Vicious, Hawkeye). It was that story, and its expanded role for Jane Foster, that Waititi credits in getting the actress onboard.

“I just said to her, ‘Are you interested in coming back to this thing, but doing something really different?’” he told Variety in 2019. “No one wants to keep repeating themselves [...] In most of these films, if you’re not a superhero — do you really want to keep doing that? I mean, I wouldn’t. I would want to come back and change things up.”

Portman seems to concur, telling ET Online that “upon seeing the script and new role for Jane: I was like ‘This is very exciting!’ And also with Taika [attached], and I love Tessa and Chris so much, so it’s exciting to get to work with them again.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I'm intrigued to see how they're going to make Jane worthy of Mjolnir, considering the massive deal it was that Steve could lift it, and the fact that Jane is... really not that interesting or special in the first two movies.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I'm intrigued to see how they're going to make Jane worthy of Mjolnir, considering the massive deal it was that Steve could lift it, and the fact that Jane is... really not that interesting or special in the first two movies.

Since it was broken I will speculate that the enchantment was broken with it and reformed you just have to be strong enough to weild it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Okay, without falling prey to another rant about Endgame, I’m just going to say Mjonir definition of “worthy” might be subjective, and leave it at that.

• Love 3
On 4/20/2022 at 1:40 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Okay, without falling prey to another rant about Endgame, I’m just going to say Mjonir definition of “worthy” might be subjective, and leave it at that.

Technically, even Thor was only worthy at first because Odin allowed it. His first movie goes from, "I'm so proud to have you as my successor!" to "Yeah, you're not ready for heavy responsibilities yet. Ima take them away from you until you are." I feel confident in thinking Jane hasn't tried to start any wars.

• Love 4

Disney is making a presentation at CinemaCon 2022, April 25-28, 2022 (in Las Vegas) - I expect that they will highlight upcoming Marvel movies...

From CinemaCon schedule:

WEDNESDAY, 27 APRIL
9:45 AM - 11:30 AM
THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS INVITES YOU TO A SPECIAL PRESENTATION HIGHLIGHTING ITS UPCOMING RELEASE SCHEDULE
Tony Chambers, EVP, Head of Theatrical Distribution, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 4/20/2022 at 4:37 PM, Danny Franks said:

You don’t have to be “interesting or special” to be worthy.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SeanC said:

You don’t have to be “interesting or special” to be worthy.

Alright, if we're going to play the semantics game, what makes Jane worthy? What, in the two movies she's appeared in, makes her worthy of wielding something that we've only ever seen three people - Thor, Cap and Vision - lift?

6 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Alright, if we're going to play the semantics game, what makes Jane worthy? What, in the two movies she's appeared in, makes her worthy of wielding something that we've only ever seen three people - Thor, Cap and Vision - lift?

Odin also lifted it when he put the enchantment on it. And it didn't drop to the floor the moment he finished his sentence. If anything that guy would hardly be worthy of anything.

As for Jane I feel like between the fact that the hammer was broken (she put it back together with a new handle and now it is Njolnir?), that Odin is dead, and that Asgard magic is supposed to be very advanced science and Jane is a science genius should give them enough options to get around the worthiness thing.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Maybe she's an elevator? 😀

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Odin also lifted it when he put the enchantment on it. And it didn't drop to the floor the moment he finished his sentence. If anything that guy would hardly be worthy of anything.

And the hammer belonged to Hela first, yeah? Odin enchanted it after her banishment at least partly to keep it out of Loki's hands, IMO. Thor being an overgrown frat boy at first aside, he could at least be trusted not to usurp his father's throne. It was only when he got too aggressive with the frost giants that Odin was like, Yeah, this was a mistake on my part.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Raja said:

Colonel Rhodes is, but he was not chosen as worthy.

Because it’s screenwriter-fiat arbitrary and always has been. Is Thor really more heroic than any of the other Avengers?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SeanC said:

Because it’s screenwriter-fiat arbitrary and always has been. Is Thor really more heroic than any of the other Avengers?

No, and I say this with nothing but the bitterest feelings about Endgame’s last 10 minutes.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Does it really matter? Worthy is such a nebulous concept as it is used here. But if we are going to go down that road, I would argue that Jane is one of the more “pure” characters in the MCU. She’s not interested in fame or money. She doesn’t seem to have much of an ego. She genuinely wants to help others and uses her skills to do so. 

6 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

And the hammer belonged to Hela first, yeah? Odin enchanted it after her banishment at least partly to keep it out of Loki's hands, IMO. Thor being an overgrown frat boy at first aside, he could at least be trusted not to usurp his father's throne. It was only when he got too aggressive with the frost giants that Odin was like, Yeah, this was a mistake on my part.

I couldn't remember so I watched the scene from Thor on YouTube earlier today. Just before Odin banishes Thor to earth he takes the hammer and basically whisper the "whoever is worthy..." thing into it and throws it after Thor to earth. I haven't seen Ragnarok in awhile so I can't remember if it had any kind of enchantment before that.

Disney gave its presentation at CinemaCon 2022 yesterday (April 27) - here's the Marvel portion...

Disney at CinemaCon 2022: The Latest Film Updates on ‘Avatar 2,’ ‘Lightyear,’ ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,’ and More
by Michelle Snow    April 27, 2022
https://thedisneyblog.com/2022/04/27/disney-at-cinemacon-2022-the-latest-film-updates-on-avatar-2-lightyear-black-panther-wakanda-forever-and-more/  

The presentation started with a quick sizzle reel that included glimpses of “Avatar 2,” “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” “Lightyear,” and “Thor: Love and Thunder.”

According to sources, the “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” footage included a shot of Nakia, Shuri & Okoye all on the front line of what looked like a major battle approaching.

Then Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige took the stage. He said he’s heading back to a Marvel Studios creative team retreat immediately after CinemaCon, where they’re planning the next 10 years of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Feige said “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” is on schedule for its November 11, 2022 debut, that he and director Ryan Coogler are working very hard on finishing it up, and the first teaser trailer will be released in June.
He then segued to “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” saying it has already made $42M in pre-sales.

Then the first 15-20 minutes from the film were shown. Reportedly the footage showed America Chavez using her portal to escape a fight with Doctor Strange and Shuma-Gorath (aka Gargantos), instead bringing it into our main MCU…during Christine Palmer’s wedding. This leads to an epic shot of Strange switching into costume and diving out to help. There’s also a Spider-Man joke.

Kevin Feige Opens Up About Doing Long-Term Planning For Marvel, And There’s A Giant Board Involved
By Eric Eisenberg    April  27, 2022
https://www.cinemablend.com/superheroes/marvel-cinematic-universe/kevin-feige-opens-up-about-doing-long-term-planning-for-marvel-and-theres-a-giant-board-involved

Feige took the stage this afternoon at CinemaCon – appearing during the Marvel section of the Walt Disney presentation held in The Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas – and during his remarks he offered an exciting tidbit about behind-the-scenes developments at his studio. Apparently, there are big happenings going on right now with the creatives behind the biggest franchise in the world, and they are in the process of looking a full decade into the future for their movies and TV shows. Said Feige,

"I just left this morning and I'm going back as soon as I get off stage to our first creative retreat in person with the Marvel Studios creative team in three years, and we have a giant board there that takes us through the next decade of MCU movies. And they are different, and they're unique, and they are special, and they are meant for your theaters."

Star Wars, Avatar, Marvel… Disney's Updated Release Schedule Is Here
Jeremy Konrad   April 27, 2022
https://bleedingcool.com/movies/updated-disney-release-schedule-avatar-star-wars-marvel-studios/ 

5/6/22 Disney DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS 
7/8/22 Disney THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER 
11/11/22 Disney BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER 
2023 Films 

2/17/23 Disney THE MARVELS 
5/5/23 Disney GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3  
7/28/23 Disney ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA  
11/3/23 Disney UNTITLED MARVEL 
2024 Films 

2/16/24 Disney UNTITLED MARVEL 

7/26/24 Disney UNTITLED MARVEL 

11/8/24 Disney UNTITLED MARVEL 

20220427183148_122094.jpeg
(pic source)

Edited by tv echo
22 hours ago, tv echo said:

He said he’s heading back to a Marvel Studios creative team retreat immediately after CinemaCon, where they’re planning the next 10 years of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The planning better involve some Young Avengers, that's honestly all I care about going forward with MCU announcements.

• Love 1

The Marvels’ and ‘Ant-Man 3’ Swap Release Dates in 2023
By Adam B. Vary   April 29, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/the-marvels-ant-man-the-wasp-quantumania-release-date-swap-1235254707/ 

Marvel Studios productions “The Marvels” and “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” are swapping release dates, Disney announced Friday.

“The Marvels,” the sequel to 2019’s “Captain Marvel,” was originally due to open in theaters on Feb. 17, 2023, and “Quantumania,” the third movie in the “Ant-Man” series, was set to open on July 28, 2023.

Instead, “Quantumania” will now bow first in February, and “The Marvels” will debut in July.

Insiders say this was a matter of “Quantumania” simply being further along in its creative process than “The Marvels,” as the former has wrapped principal photography while “The Marvels” still has a bit more to go. Marvel Studios’ other big theatrical release in 2023, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” is still set to debut on May 5, 2023.

‘Spider-Man’ Director Jon Watts Exits Marvel’s ‘Fantastic Four’
By Mike Fleming Jr     April 29, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/04/spider-man-jon-watts-exits-marvel-fantastic-four-film-1235013110/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Jon Watts has withdrawn as the director of Fantastic Four, the reinvention of the venerable Marvel Comics series at Marvel Studios and Disney. Watts just directed Spider-Man: No Way Home, the Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios film that grossed $1.89 billion to become the sixth highest-grossing film of all time.

Nothing sinister here; Watts just needs a break from the superhero realm after completing the Spidey trilogy with Tom Holland and Zendaya. He had expected to make Fantastic Four his next film, the third feature iteration of that franchise and first since Disney acquired Fox, which controlled the franchise. Watts has spent the better part of the last decade directing and promoting the Spider-Man films, after being hired off Cop Car, a small-budget indie thriller that premiered at 2015 Sundance. He needs a breather.

Both Watts and Marvel confirmed his exit, and said that it is amicable.

Said Kevin Feige, president, Marvel Studios and Louis D’Esposito, co-president, Marvel Studios: “Collaborating with Jon on the Spider-Man films has been a true pleasure. We were looking forward to continuing our work with him to bring the Fantastic Four into the MCU but understand and are supportive of his reasons for stepping away. We are optimistic that we will have the opportunity to work together again at some point down the road.”

Watts said that “Making three Spider-Man films was an incredible and life-changing experience for me. I’m eternally grateful to have been a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe for seven years. I’m hopeful we’ll work together again and I can’t wait to see the amazing vision for Fantastic Four brought to life.”

Sony and its Spider-Man producers have made it clear they expect to reunite Watts with Holland and Zendaya to continue the series. Watts hasn’t officially dropped out of that franchise, but if it were to happen, it does sound like it would be down the road.

Edited by tv echo
34 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

This makes me mad.  I was really looking forward to The Marvels and don't really care about Ant Man.  Sigh.

I'm the opposite. I'm excited I get to see new Ant Man sooner than expected.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Maybe they figured they underestimated the box office power Captain Marvel had, and that the sequel will make even more money when deliberately scheduled in the summer?

I could see that. The Marvels also appears to be more interconnected with the other MCU projects than Ant-Man 3. Assuming Secret Wars does need to air first I’m not surprised to see The Marvels move given the Disney+ shows seem to be taking longer than expected. 

21 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

This makes me mad.  I was really looking forward to The Marvels and don't really care about Ant Man.  Sigh.

The Ant-Man movies have some very fun bits, but watching them from beginning to end is a bit of a chore. There's only so far that Paul Rudd and Michael Pena's charm can take you, when the rest of the cast are kind of dull (except for Judy Greer, but she's not in it enough) and repetition of the 'now this big thing is small/this small thing is big' gag is the go-to.

I would like to find out what happened to Ghost/Ava and if they were able to cure her. The whole reason Scott went to and was trapped in the Quantum Realm was to get more particles to help her, and even if she fell victim to the Snap, returning from that probably wouldn't heal her condition.

• Love 4
(edited)
23 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Maybe they figured they underestimated the box office power Captain Marvel had, and that the sequel will make even more money when deliberately scheduled in the summer?

Or maybe like the article says, Marvels isn't as far along in production as it should be. Which might not be surprising, a movie with a lot of aliens and space action is probably pretty effects heavy. Plus the shape shifting effect they used for the Skrulls in the first one was the best shape shift effect I have ever seen. 

Although since the whole schedule was already pushed back once (Dr. Strange was supposed to come out in March I think), I wonder if Marvels was the movie that delayed everything the first time.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2
(edited)

Kevin Feige Addresses the Problem With Leaks Spoiling Marvel Movies
BY KLEIN FELT     MAY 1, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-leaks-movies-problem-kevin-feige

During the Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness press availability, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige revealed his strategy when it comes to leaks and spoilers surrounding their movies and shows. 
"The unfortunate truth is you don't [ keep it all under wraps], and therefore you need to make sure that the experience itself works regardless of what has been spoiled or not. We still do as good of a job as we can. I think a lot of people are getting good at not spreading it. Somebody steals something, don't spread it around because it just potentially lessens the experience."
But in a lot of ways, No Way Home showed us that it did not lessen the experience. So we will continue to do the best that we can, but the most important thing is still delivering the movie or show that delivers regardless of what you know going in."

Marvel Releases Official Timeline for Avengers: Infinity War's Soul Stone (Photo)
By Savannah Sanders     Apr 30, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/avengers-infinity-war-soul-stone-marvel-timeline-photo

The official Instagram account for Marvel in the United Kingdom has posted a timeline of the Soul Stone's journey within the MCU. Check out the following slides: 

Full timeline pic:
soultimeline.png 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The Dr. Strange reviewers seem to agree that we need to know what went on in WandaVision before seeing the movie for a better experience. So even those without Disney+ should spoil themselves on the miniseries first.

Edited by Raja